PDA

View Full Version : Will Harbaugh Leave USD?

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 07:39 AM
The local news here in Houston reported Jim Harbaugh (Univ of San Diego) is not leaving USD for Rice University, a job that became open when Ken Hatfield resigned a few weeks ago.

I know he's applied for some other positions, but does anyone of our Torreros think that he's going to jump ship this year? I figure his problems with the law may have held him off this year, but another good year and it'll be forgotten. He's a good coach, a nice name and pro credentials.

Thoughts?

ucdtim17
December 27th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I think he's a hot name now and will probably end up somewhere else

Sly Fox
December 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
He's not going anywhere THIS year for reasons that aren't related to football. But if he puts together another nice season for the Toreros in '06 then he'll have even better offers nice winter and there will be no debying him then.

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Sly Fox, I saw you over on the Rice board. I'm not a member, but have been a fan of Rice for ages. Really made me depressed about the direction of the program reading that board and the remarks made by the members...

Sly Fox
December 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
You can understand their frustration. But there are a number of bitter folk over there.

We just went through a coaching search of our own at Liberty. Its never a fun thing when it begins to drag along. Fortunately ours was completed in less than two weeks.

Sly Fox
December 27th, 2005, 04:30 PM
For what it is worth, USD just announced a new multi-year deal to keep Harbaugh in San Diego:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

USD’S JIM HARBAUGH AGREES TO MULTI-YEAR DEAL WITH TORERO FOOTBALL

(San Diego, CA) - University of San Diego head football coach Jim Harbaugh has agreed to a new multi-year deal to remain at the helm of the Toreros’ football program, it was announced today by Ky Snyder, Executive Director of Athletics. Terms of the contract will remain undisclosed.

"We are excited to have Jim back as our head coach," said Ky Snyder. "He has done a tremendous job for us in his two years. Our vision remains to win conference championships on a regular basis, and Jim shares that vision and drive to win those titles."

This past season Harbaugh, the PFL North Coach of the Year and a candidate for the I-AA Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award, directed the Toreros to a program-best 11-1 record and its first-ever Pioneer Football League title. San Diego dealt Morehead State a 47-40 defeat in the PFL Championship game back on November 19th. USD was also the recipient of the 2005 Sports Network Cup, presented to the team that finished as the No. 1 ranked I-AA Mid-Major team in the nation. The Toreros held the No. 1 ranking over the final six weeks of the season. Harbaugh also guided the Toreros to the school’s first win over an Ivy League opponent, a 17-14 victory over Yale. USD is the first PFL team to accomplish that feat. The Toreros were also a perfect 8-0 at home this season and will take a 13-game home winning streak into the 2006 season. Four Toreros were named to the 2005 The Sports Network I-AA Mid-Major All-America Team, and two Toreros were recognized as ESPN The Magazine/District VIII Academic All-Americans.

"I’m excited to continue to build on our success at USD", said Jim Harbaugh. "Our vision at USD is to win multiple PFL championships, and I look forward to continuing to strive to reach that goal. Our success is a result of the phenomenal job that our student-athletes, coaches and administration have done here."

During his two-year tenure Harbaugh has combined to go 18-5 overall. The 18 wins over a two-year period is also a new USD record. Last season the Toreros won their final five games to finish 7-4, and Harbaugh has now gone 16-1 over his last 17 contests. The lone loss over this 17 game run was a hard-fought 20-17 road decision at Princeton back on September 24th.

TexasTerror
December 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Congrats to USD...

Now did they promise Harbaugh something to keep him there? A possible move to the GWFC and addition of scholarships? Or is that still a long shot?

slostang
December 27th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Congrats to USD...

Now did they promise Harbaugh something to keep him there? A possible move to the GWFC and addition of scholarships? Or is that still a long shot?

I was thinking, and hoping, the same thing. I think that a fully funded USD football team would be a great addition to the GWFC.

ucdtim17
December 28th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Great news for USD. He must really like it there (and/or have bigger things in mind for the program)