PDA

View Full Version : Does Villanova Have The Tools In Place To Repeat?

Hoyadestroya85
December 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Link To My *****ty Article (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/12/does-villanova-football-have-tools-in.html)

It's Championship or bust in 2010

I know that next Football season is way far away, but I think it is interesting to address whether or not Villanova has what it takes to repeat as Champions. One of the big questions regarding a repeat is whether or not Matt Szczur returns for his senior season. If Szczur does return, that should make Villanova a near unanimous preseason number one selection as they return so many starters on both sides of the ball. In total, Villanova will defenitely lose seven starters, a fairly managable number when you consider the number of returning players with starting experience of some kind. In Short: I do think Villanova has the talent in place to make yet another run at a national title.

uofmman1122
December 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
They have the talent to win a title next year, but so do 8 or more other teams.

Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
They have the talent to win a title next year, but so do 8 or more other teams.

Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Yes, I agree. Plus, Whitney returns, correct? Based upon some of the close games, there are a handful of teams who will all have a shot, as they did this year. Nothing guaranteed regardless of returnees, but I will likely have them in my top 5 next year--especially if Sczur returns.

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Trust me when I tell you that Nova's football team, it's University and the surrounding Main Line area have plenty of tools. xlolx

SpidersSportsEditor
December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Richmond had all the tools in place to repeat and didn't. When it comes right down to it, I think it's all about playoff match-ups. Nova won't play a really meaningful game until after next Thanksgiving, kinda like how the Yankees don't play a meaningful game until October.

jstclmet
December 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Richmond had all the tools in place to repeat and didn't. When it comes right down to it, I think it's all about playoff match-ups. Nova won't play a really meaningful game until after next Thanksgiving, kinda like how the Yankees don't play a meaningful game until October.

You're kidding right??? We open against Templexeekxxeekx Y'know, Bowl Bound Temple. You don't think they're gonna want to bring their "A" game and pay back the FCS, 1-AA, team that beat them last year. Plus, we're the 2009 FCS NC. IMO, TU would like nothing more than to stomp Nova into the earth more than beating whoever they're playing in their Bowl game.

UPenn is always up for us. Lehigh is always wishful.

Then there's those 8 CAA games. It's unlikely we would get both URI & Towson. URI will probably get to miss us. Not that I'm taking Towson for granted, but the other 7 games will not be gimmes. Everyone will be trying to be the first team that beat the Defending Champs. UR went 8 - 0 before finally losing to us, but had a number of close games up to that point.

We won't play a meaningful game until after TG???xeyebrowx I wish it was that easy. But thanks for the vote of confidencexthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
December 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
If Szczur returns though, Villanova will have it's four best offensive players back (Ijalana, Szczur, Whitney, Ball.) Richmond's team last year lost A LOT to graduation between sid, sherman and Vaughn.

VUCats02
December 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Babarro returns too. However, Nova is losing Osunde, Kuckuka, and some other key defensive players. They are also losing a great WR, Harvey, who was VERY clutch. Without Harvey, Nova doesn't beat Temple or Richmond and doesn't get home field advantage in the playoffs.

Hoyadestroya85
December 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Harvey was clutch, but Norman White along with this year's freshmen will give Whit a chance to spread the ball around more. I think Whitney will have an out of nowhere passing year next year.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
You're kidding right??? We open against Templexeekxxeekx Y'know, Bowl Bound Temple. You don't think they're gonna want to bring their "A" game and pay back the FCS, 1-AA, team that beat them last year. Plus, we're the 2009 FCS NC. IMO, TU would like nothing more than to stomp Nova into the earth more than beating whoever they're playing in their Bowl game.

UPenn is always up for us. Lehigh is always wishful.

Then there's those 8 CAA games. It's unlikely we would get both URI & Towson. URI will probably get to miss us. Not that I'm taking Towson for granted, but the other 7 games will not be gimmes. Everyone will be trying to be the first team that beat the Defending Champs. UR went 8 - 0 before finally losing to us, but had a number of close games up to that point.

We won't play a meaningful game until after TG???xeyebrowx I wish it was that easy. But thanks for the vote of confidencexthumbsupx

I guess it depends on your definition of meaningful. Nova is going to be in the playoffs with a chance to repeat next season, I don't think too many people doubt that. If they win in the playoffs, they get another NC. If they don't, they don't.

VUCats02
December 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I know that some of the WRs like White and Reynolds look very promising, but the question is can they be a go-to 3rd or 4th down guy like Harvey was? If not, nova will have to heavily rely on Whitney running for it on 3rd downs, which isn't really something I like to rely on. Harvey will be deeply missed, but there are players on every college team that will be missed next year. We'll just have to adjust and move on.

VUCats02
December 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
If Szczur ends up leaving, I think they should put Babarro in the wildcat. I know he doesn't have Sczcur's speed, but with the O-line and an extra blocker in there, that formation seems to be very successful, in both college and the pro level.

TokyoGriz
December 24th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Definetly a threat. Without Szcar Im not sure if they will go all the way. But still going to be a contender.

Szcar was just a huge playmaker. IMO his ability to make the big plays when you needed em is were your really going to miss him.

ngineer
December 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
When you think about it. There are probably 20+ teams that have the 'tools in place' to win a championship. The difference is the ability to make the 'tools' work properly, with the needed amount of effort, and coaching.

jmufan999
December 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of meaningful. Nova is going to be in the playoffs with a chance to repeat next season, I don't think too many people doubt that. If they win in the playoffs, they get another NC. If they don't, they don't.

i agree, my friend. i would not call the Temple game "meaningful". definitely helps to beat a I-A team, but the committee doesn't hold an FBS loss against FCS schools. playing UD, UR, JMU, W&M, etc.... THOSE are meaningful. just an opinion, though.

jmufan999
December 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM
When you think about it. There are probably 20+ teams that have the 'tools in place' to win a championship.

i would respectfully disagree with that. i'd say there's more like 10... max.

but someone else mentioned it, playoff MATCHUPS are huge. we all know the system is far from perfect. the whole geographical matchup thing is totally unfair. still better than the bowl system.

jstclmet
December 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

but someone else mentioned it, playoff MATCHUPS are huge. we all know the system is far from perfect. the whole geographical matchup thing is totally unfair. still better than the bowl system.

Perfect example is SDSU & HC. If they're playing someone else in the first round, they're probably playing in the Quarter Finals. Don't know that they could have advanced farther than the final 8, but those first round matchups are crucial.

With the extended format next season, the PL might get matched up with the NEC rep in the 1st round, or maybe Stony Brook, should they come out of the Big South. Should Delaware and/or DSU out of the MEAC make the playoffs, next year's first round will look very interesting in the North.

Big Al
December 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I think it goes without saying that Villanova has the tools to repeat next year. However, I think there will easily be 15-20 other teams who also have the tools to stop them.

UNH Fanboi
December 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM

10 is even being a little generous. Look at this year's quarterfinals: 3 out of the 4 games weren't even competitive, and 2 were full-fledged blowouts. By the end of this year, there were only 5 championship caliber teams (Nova, W&M, ASU, Montana and Richmond). Nova won because they were very good, but also because they were lucky, just like most previous champs with the exception of teams that steamrolled through the playoffs like Delaware in 2003. Playoff match-ups are definitely huge. If Richmond had made that FG against Nova, Nova would have been on the road after the first round and things could have worked out very differently (not that their home field advantage is that big, but they could have been hurt by playing at tough road venues). They only beat the Griz by 2 points. There's a very good chance that they would have lost a theoretical game at WaGriz in the semis. As much as we build-up the champs, there are usually several teams very close to their level.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
10 is even being a little generous. Look at this year's quarterfinals: 3 out of the 4 games weren't even competitive, and 2 were full-fledged blowouts. By the end of this year, there were only 5 championship caliber teams (Nova, W&M, ASU, Montana and Richmond). Nova won because they were very good, but also because they were lucky, just like most previous champs with the exception of teams that steamrolled through the playoffs like Delaware in 2003. Playoff match-ups are definitely huge. If Richmond had made that FG against Nova, Nova would have been on the road after the first round and things could have worked out very differently (not that their home field advantage is that big, but they could have been hurt by playing at tough road venues). They only beat the Griz by 2 points. There's a very good chance that they would have lost a theoretical game at WaGriz in the semis. As much as we build-up the champs, there are usually several teams very close to their level.

Bingo.

Hoyadestroya85
December 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Of all these championship level teams though, Villanova loses the least by far, and it's not even close.

Grizo406
December 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the link, Hoya!xthumbsupx

http://novafacts.blogspot.com/
The Most Diverse and Ridculous Villanova blog on the Net

Per Shane Clark, from the above link..."Sports is the best thing to happen since do dirty", and my personal favorite: "my favorite animal is a cat because they are soft cute and fun to rub down on."

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Hoyadestroya85
December 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I try, we're kind of the outcasts of The Villanova blogging community though because we're relatively new, very amateur in our layout and lots of people find our stuff offensive. I felt that the other Villanova blogs were way too similar so we just spiced it up.

T-Dog
December 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM

It is amazing how lucky you have to be at times to win. I agree about the 5 championship caliber teams (I want to put SCSU as the 6th but it's a tough argument to make). W&M lost by one point, App St lost by 3 yards, Richmond lost by 7 seconds and Montana lost by 2 points.

Nova has the backbone to win tough games. Szczur coming back would be essential to making the difference in those big games as he was this year. It all depends on how the CAA schedule shapes up for them.

GoDukes86
December 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
The CAA will be competitive again, I can see a two loss team winning the Conference in '10.

Go...gate
December 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
GSU and ASU have proved you can win multiple times on this level with good coaching and institutional support. Talley is a good coach and the kids play very hard for him. I don't know about the support from the institution, but he seems to be able to recruit and graduate his kids. I believe VU could certainly repeat.

Poker Alan
December 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I echo the sentiments of others, certainly Villanova is loaded enough to repeat, but its quite often more than just the returning players. #4 would make your title defense immensely easier, however. I see only about 8 legit championship-caliber teams, IMO the playoff field is going to be greatly diluted with adding 4 teams...

Old Cat Fan
December 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
A little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but On the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show Howie Long was doing a piece on the top 10 hidden gems in the NFL and #9 was Pierre Garcon said he picked him because "having played for the National Champion Villanova Widcats" he was partial for small school guys..Than when the piece was done Jimmy Johnson and Howie was exchanging jabs about National Championships with Miami and Nova a little post season respect xnodx

GoDukes86
December 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
A little off topic but didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but On the FOX NFL Sunday pregame show Howie Long was doing a piece on the top 10 hidden gems in the NFL and #9 was Pierre Garcon said he picked him because "having played for the National Champion Villanova Widcats" he was partial for small school guys..Than when the piece was done Jimmy Johnson and Howie was exchanging jabs about National Championships with Miami and Nova a little post season respect xnodx

Howie's bias towards "small schools" and Villanova is strictly self-serving since he played at VU. Given that, the credit is always good to hear.