PDA

View Full Version : NFL Asst. Hired As Princeton HC

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Surace to Nassau:
http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=204862193

It will be interesting to see what kind of staff he builds.

Ivytalk
December 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Looks like Princeton hired a FB alum. Good for them.

kdinva
December 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
And I believe footballscoop.com reported that the Cornell HC has taken a job on the Dook staff.......

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
And I believe footballscoop.com reported that the Cornell HC has taken a job on the Dook staff.......

That is correct. The guy was doing a terrible job at Cornell anyway so they are probably not to sad to see him go.

Bogus Megapardus
December 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Tigers start out at Lehigh then open at home vs. the Pards. Shall we introduce him properly?

LBPop
December 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm so out of touch that I didn't know Hughes was gone. Met him during the 2003 recruiting season and was not impressed, but I certainly do not wish him ill. What were the circumstances of his departure?

PUBand09
December 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Back to back 4-6 seasons, including some epically, historically terrible losses this year, like 38-0 against Columbia and 37-3 at Harvard. While he did win the 2006 Ivy title, he had only 2 or 3 winning seasons in his 10 years, all of which had Jeff Terrell '07 playing. Excising Terrell's games from the record, leaves Hughes with a very, very bad one. I've also spoken with players who did not think he was a good coach, but never went into much more detail than that.

ASU_Fanatic
December 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I would just stay with my NFL team. I was too lazy to even click on the link.

TheValleyRaider
December 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
2 years, 2 NFL assistants to head Ivy programs xreadx

And Knowles is gone from Cornell? Interesting. He wasn't anything special as a coach, but he was a huge improvement over his predecessor. Big Red's Football woes run deeper than the head coach, me thinks xchinscratchx

DJOM
December 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Bob Surace ’90, a key member of the 1989 Ivy League champion Princeton football team, has been named the Head Coach of Football at Princeton University. Surace has been an assistant coach for the Cincinnati Bengals for the last nine seasons.
Here's to hoping he opens the offense up and spreading the field.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Tigers start out at Lehigh then open at home vs. the Pards. Shall we introduce him properly?

Sounds good to me. Hopefully really 'soften 'em up' for you ;) Of course, we get them the week after we take on Villanova...could be a problem with a 'letdown' from an epic upset.xnodx:D ...........Hey, it's Christmas and time for dreams.xxmasx

Bogus Megapardus
December 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sounds good to me. Hopefully really 'soften 'em up' for you ;) Of course, we get them the week after we take on Villanova...could be a problem with a 'letdown' from an epic upset.xnodx:D ...........Hey, it's Christmas and time for dreams.xxmasx

Engineers will have zero film on a brand new Tiger system. Ivy/PL contests tend to be, shall we say, "complex." Should be interesting.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Engineers will have zero film on a brand new Tiger system. Ivy/PL contests tend to be, shall we say, "complex." Should be interesting.

Good point. Though, I would imagine coming from the NFL, he'll employ that with which he's comfortable. Installing a totally 'new' system can also be risky, especially in early games. Ivies don't have spring ball, do they?

Bogus Megapardus
December 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Good point. Though, I would imagine coming from the NFL, he'll employ that with which he's comfortable. Installing a totally 'new' system can also be risky, especially in early games. Ivies don't have spring ball, do they?

I dunno. They probably have "captain's practices", at minimum.

PUBand09
December 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure they get about 10 to 12 coached practices in the second semester, the last of which is typically a public intrasquad scrimmage in the stadium; there are also strength and conditioning sessions supervised by a conditioning coach, which are currently ongoing (I'm not sure if there are any regulations about more informal captain-led practices).

bulldog10jw
December 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Bob Surace ’90, a key member of the 1989 Ivy League champion Princeton football team, has been named the Head Coach of Football at Princeton University. Surace has been an assistant coach for the Cincinnati Bengals for the last nine seasons.
Here's to hoping he opens the offense up and spreading the field.

Co-champions

DJOM
December 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Good point, Bulldog.

Bogus Megapardus
December 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure they get about 10 to 12 coached practices in the second semester, the last of which is typically a public intrasquad scrimmage in the stadium; there are also strength and conditioning sessions supervised by a conditioning coach, which are currently ongoing (I'm not sure if there are any regulations about more informal captain-led practices).

Pretty much the same spring season as ours.

Hard to tell because I saw only one game this year, but the Tigers seemed to try a little too hard to outsmart themselves sometimes. Instead maybe they might put a little more faith in their raw talent, which is not inconsiderable (all those Malvern Prep/Lawrenceville/Delbarton guys). I will be at the Princeton home opener and I'll try to give a full report. I'd really like to see the Tiger do well. I'm looking forward in particular to the Penn game which I always attend when it's at home - I kinda have to anyhow, for "personal reasons."

busybee14
December 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
They do get 12 i think.with a scrimmage at the finale.

PUBand09
December 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Pretty much the same spring season as ours.

Hard to tell because I saw only one game this year, but the Tigers seemed to try a little too hard to outsmart themselves sometimes. Instead maybe they might put a little more faith in their raw talent, which is not inconsiderable (all those Malvern Prep/Lawrenceville/Delbarton guys). I will be at the Princeton home opener and I'll try to give a full report. I'd really like to see the Tiger do well. I'm looking forward in particular to the Penn game which I always attend when it's at home - I kinda have to anyhow, for "personal reasons."

A fellow alumnus (who knows much more than I about the minutiae of offensive strategy) told me that a major problem under Hughes was that they would try to run too many different types of formations (wide spreads, traditional pro set-ups, etc.), and that there was no way a team of Ivy-caliber players practicing under Ivy restrictions would have enough time to practice that much stuff well. Hopefully Surace will pare down the strategy to something more manageable for a team at this level.

I do worry about recruiting though. For this year, he's staying with the Bengals until they're done, and longer term, he doesn't seem to have much experience recruiting at the college level, especially in the weird world of FCS Ivy recruiting.

ngineer
December 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hmmmmm. Princeton's colors are the same as the Bengals...wonder if he tries to change the decor to those infamous 'tiger stripes' and dicards the winged helmet?
I doubt he'll be THAT adventuresome...;)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM
A fellow alumnus (who knows much more than I about the minutiae of offensive strategy) told me that a major problem under Hughes was that they would try to run too many different types of formations (wide spreads, traditional pro set-ups, etc.), and that there was no way a team of Ivy-caliber players practicing under Ivy restrictions would have enough time to practice that much stuff well. Hopefully Surace will pare down the strategy to something more manageable for a team at this level.

I do worry about recruiting though. For this year, he's staying with the Bengals until they're done, and longer term, he doesn't seem to have much experience recruiting at the college level, especially in the weird world of FCS Ivy recruiting.

Gee, it worked pretty well in 2006 with a good quarterback and defensive backs. xrolleyesx

And - let me get this straight - he was saying his Ivy League players were not smart enough to run multiple formations? Just sayin'.

Go...gate
December 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Roger Hughes was in over his head.

Husky Alum
December 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Surace's brother (Brian) was our O-Line coach at Northeastern and had some play calling responsibilities this past season, I believe.

Brian is a real good guy and was very well respected as a coach and recruiter at NU.