PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Recruits

BlackNGold
December 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Well I Figured this years recruiting class would be big.. but 14 already... Dang

Image of List:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6209/richmond.jpg

Link to View Commits for All Schools
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

paward
December 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
We are not just rebuilding we are reloading!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Word here is that Scott still has all 14 committed. We'll see what happens on Signing Day...

Hoyadestroya85
December 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I wait until feb to get excited about recruits.. One BCS offer and those kids could be gone.. It happens to Villanova almost every year.

AppMan
December 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
2 DL tackles at 6 ft and less than 250 lbs, you ca keep 'em.

Hoyadestroya85
December 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM

That's what a redshirt year is for..

BDKJMU
December 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
I wait until feb to get excited about recruits.. One BCS offer and those kids could be gone.. It happens to Villanova almost every year.

Try at least until Aug. Or maybe Sept of the following year. Usually have no idea how well these kids are going to perform on the college level until summer camp. And on the field during a game for most not till their 2nd season.

Heck, I'm more interested in finding out how the signees from last yr's signing class perform next season (besides the 4 who played as true freshman).

Often you can take these "stars" next to some kids name and go wipe your *** with them, as often they aren't worth the paper they're written on.

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2009, 05:45 AM

At Georgetown, it's May. Hard to build a recruiting class when people get better offers elsewhere.

Husky4Life
December 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM

This is a pretty ignorant statement.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM

That is rebuilding then not reloading. UR will be down next year, likely picked 5th preseason in the CAA south.

paward
December 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
That is rebuilding then not reloading. UR will be down next year, likely picked 5th preseason in the CAA south.

You could be right but remember 5th place with teams like, Villanova, William & Mary, JMU and Delaware on that side, is still better than a lot of teams in FCS. There are four National Championship teams on that side. It will be brutal but when the dust settles you still in great company. With a twenty team play-off, CAA could get five maybe six in next year.

While you are good at predicting our chances, what is your thoughts for your team next year? Pre-season #1, no doubt.

Rekdiver
December 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm sure the people at Rivals appreciate an unauthorized copy of the list.....

19Duke97
December 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I think the Mcgee kid could be a diamond for you guys - a very solid athlete.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
You could be right but remember 5th place with teams like, Villanova, William & Mary, JMU and Delaware on that side, is still better than a lot of teams in FCS. There are four National Championship teams on that side. It will be brutal but when the dust settles you still in great company. With a twenty team play-off, CAA could get five maybe six in next year.

While you are good at predicting our chances, what is your thoughts for your team next year? Pre-season #1, no doubt.

I don't think UR will be a very good team next year, it is very difficult to replace 17 starters I don't care if you're Texas or Florida. I think you are reading my prediction as a slam, it isn't. It is an honest assessment based upon the circumstances faced by UR.

As for ASU they do return 16 starters, with holes really only at QB and DT. I'd say a top 10 preseason is likely with a shot at top 5.

phoenixphanatic21
December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Remind me, when is signing day again?

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I don't think UR will be a very good team next year, it is very difficult to replace 17 starters I don't care if you're Texas or Florida. I think you are reading my prediction as a slam, it isn't. It is an honest assessment based upon the circumstances faced by UR.

As for ASU they do return 16 starters, with holes really only at QB and DT. I'd say a top 10 preseason is likely with a shot at top 5.

I don't think Richmond's going to be terrible - to take the other poster's point, they may be a decent team, but they're still going to be buried in the CAA South (if it existed, which it won't) next year as UD, JMU, nova, and W&M all should be better than Richmond. Doesn't mean they won't be a decent side, just means that relative to their conference mates they are going to struggle.

bostonspider
December 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I certainly do not think that redshirting freshmen is a sign of rebuilding versus reloading. In general UR tries to redshirt all of their incoming freshman. The players to watch this year are the redshirt freshmen and sophmores.. While UR could finish 5th in the CAA South, they could also finish higher, and don't forget two of the past three national championship participants finished 3rd in the CAA South.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ok you've convinced me, I'm wrong, UR will be fine and make the playoffs in 2010 after losing 17 starters.

We have two open dates on our schedule and I'd love to play you guys again.

paward
December 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM

I did not take it as a slam, just constructive chat. When I say that we are in tough company, I mean it in a fight it out kinda way. In the last four years we have had three finalist in the CAA South. But more impressive to me that in that four years we have had six Semi-final appearances in the same time frame. It is a tough side to come out of. My thoughts on next year is William & Mary will be clear favorites. The other four will fight it out for positions. We could end up second as well as fifth. Summary, fifth place in that division is better than second in others.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I did not take it as a slam, just constructive chat. When I say that we are in tough company, I mean it in a fight it out kinda way. In the last four years we have had three finalist in the CAA South. But more impressive to me that in that four years we have had six Semi-final appearances in the same time frame. It is a tough side to come out of. My thoughts on next year is William & Mary will be clear favorites. The other four will fight it out for positions. We could end up second as well as fifth. Summary, fifth place in that division is better than second in others.

Don't you mean nova? W&M loses Tracey, Archer, and a few other significant contributors. Right now, nova loses much, much less. Of course, if Szczur leaves for baseball, that changes things dramatically, but nova brings back much more than anyone except for UD, and nova was better than UD this year.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ok you've convinced me, I'm wrong, UR will be fine and make the playoffs in 2010 after losing 17 starters.

Who said they'll make the playoffs? I just said they won't be terrible. I don't see them being better than at least 5 CAA teams next year (nova, W&M, UD, JMU, and UNH) so unless the CAA is getting 6 teams into the playoffs next year (unlikely) then they aren't going to be a playoff team.

tribe_pride
December 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Don't you mean nova? W&M loses Tracey, Archer, and a few other significant contributors. Right now, nova loses much, much less. Of course, if Szczur leaves for baseball, that changes things dramatically, but nova brings back much more than anyone except for UD, and nova was better than UD this year.

Agreed. Nova is the team to beat with or without Szczur.

On O, W&M needs to see how their QB situation develops. The line (4 of 5 starters return and 9 of 10 on 2 deep) and RBs (all of whom will return) are going to be really good. We should also be fine at TE and WE

We will be down on D from this year but its hard not to be based on how good we were this year. We still have some good returners from the 2 deep that rotated in a lot but anyone who thinks it'll be at last year's level is kidding themselves.

W&M will be good next year assuming 1 of our potential QBs turns out to be decent but you never know until they play the game. What should be sure is that Nova will pre-season #1 in the CAA (and probably NCAA) unless something weird happens.

On to the real point of the thread, it's great to see that Richmond hopefully has kept its recruits. Hopefully, they will remain strong. Doubt they will be next year where they have been the last 2 years since experience helps a lot but don't count Richmond out.

paward
December 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
My money is still on W&M. Nova will be good but it is hard to repeat. Appalachian had an atomic bomb to do it with. It is hard when the target is on your back. I will not be surprised to see Nova win the CAA but I have to go with the Tribe.

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM

It gets a lot murkier if Szczur doesn't return for nova next year. He's the big play, home run threat (primarily from the wildcat type formation). For a team that wasn't explosive offensively even with him, that would be a pretty sizeable loss. They would not have made the title game, let alone win it, this year without him.

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
It gets a lot murkier if Szczur doesn't return for nova next year. He's the big play, home run threat (primarily from the wildcat type formation). For a team that wasn't explosive offensively even with him, that would be a pretty sizeable loss. They would not have made the title game, let alone win it, this year without him.

Agreed. I think Szczur leaving for MLB will bring Nova back to the pack. This would make the top 5-6 teams a dead heat at this point. Obviously, we have 9 months to find out what happensxthumbsupx

Eight Legger
December 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah, we lose a lot of starters, but we still return a huge amount of experienced players. It's not like our starters played 60 minutes and the backups never saw the light of day. We return all of our top receivers and a lot of key guys on defense, including Eric McBride, who will be a Buchanan candidate next year.

We seem to be able to plug in RBs and run effectively, and we have a good one in Gaskins coming back for three more years who saw a lot of time this year.

It will be tough to make the playoffs, but I see us in the 6-8 win range, with a few key games determining whether we go or not. UNH, Delaware and Villanova should be the favorites, but I think we'll compete favorably with W&M and JMU. W&M and UR both lose great starting QBs and key defenders but we'll both be fine next year.

fightingphoenix
December 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM

I think it is Feb 26th or it was last year.

BloomHusky'01
December 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Richmond is on the short list for a QB from Lancaster, PA who holds the all time state record for passing yardage and touchdown passes. He is excessively talented but he is not being heavily recruited by D1. The biggest interested has come from a couple of MAC schools. His name is Kyle Smith from Lancaster Catholic High. They won the AA state championship last Saturday.

soccerguy315
December 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM

all the freshmen recruits at ASU are going to sit on the bench next year too.

kdinva
December 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM

Feb. 3rd (first Wed. in February)

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
all the freshmen recruits at ASU are going to sit on the bench next year too.

ASU is only losing 6 starters, but not all incoming freshman will be redshirted next year. I would expect 2 or 3 of the 6 lineman signed to see playing time.

ASU had 4 players on the two-deep which were true freshman in 2009.

Wildcat80
December 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Richmond is on the short list for a QB from Lancaster, PA who holds the all time state record for passing yardage and touchdown passes. He is excessively talented but he is not being heavily recruited by D1. The biggest interested has come from a couple of MAC schools. His name is Kyle Smith from Lancaster Catholic High. They won the AA state championship last Saturday.

His teammate from last year-schmalhoffer-is on the UNH roster. Not sure if we are recruiting him or not.xconfusedx

GannonFan
December 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM

His teammate from last year-schmalhoffer-is on the UNH roster. Not sure if we are recruiting him or not.xconfusedx

Is Smith really that light? One site had him at 6'3", 183 lbs.

Tough to tell with him - great stats, no doubt, but he plays at the AA level in PA for a program (Lancaster Catholic) that has been great for a few years now, even before he got there. Kid didn't throw much in the state title game - 9 passes for 35 yards (granted, snowy conditions). Terrell Pryor came out from the AA classification, and size of school does not mean too much when it comes to individual assessment, but you have to wonder why, with all those stats, he's only looking at an offer from Akron and Richmond.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, we lose a lot of starters, but we still return a huge amount of experienced players. It's not like our starters played 60 minutes and the backups never saw the light of day. We return all of our top receivers and a lot of key guys on defense, including Eric McBride, who will be a Buchanan candidate next year.

We seem to be able to plug in RBs and run effectively, and we have a good one in Gaskins coming back for three more years who saw a lot of time this year.

It will be tough to make the playoffs, but I see us in the 6-8 win range, with a few key games determining whether we go or not. UNH, Delaware and Villanova should be the favorites, but I think we'll compete favorably with W&M and JMU. W&M and UR both lose great starting QBs and key defenders but we'll both be fine next year.

Richmond will certainly not be the frontrunner next season, but I agree with Eight Legger. He forgot to add Martin Parker and Justin Rogers returning on defense who were both Buchanon candidates this year. The defense should still be very good and that should keep them in almost every game they play. And they get JMU and Delaware at home in the new stadium.

It all comes down to the offensive line and the quarterback play. Laub, the new QB, is very very talented, so it would not shock me if he played very well. Wouldn't shock me if he struggled either, but you can't count out the Spiders even though losing all those starters is obviously a huge blow. I don't think they will get blown out by anyone, so if they can squeak out the close ones like they did this season they will certainly be in the running for the playoffs.

BloomHusky'01
December 23rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Is Smith really that light? One site had him at 6'3", 183 lbs.

Tough to tell with him - great stats, no doubt, but he plays at the AA level in PA for a program (Lancaster Catholic) that has been great for a few years now, even before he got there. Kid didn't throw much in the state title game - 9 passes for 35 yards (granted, snowy conditions). Terrell Pryor came out from the AA classification, and size of school does not mean too much when it comes to individual assessment, but you have to wonder why, with all those stats, he's only looking at an offer from Akron and Richmond.

Arm strength is the only real criticism that I've heard or read. Its a legit concern, he doesn't have an NFL arm, but he is a very accurate passer and he can go down field. Stats in the state championship are not a fair assessment. Conditions were terrible for quarterbacks and receivers. His career accomplishments speak for themselves. He's also very smart. One of the local papers had said he missed out on some recruiting possibilities because he opted to stay home and work out with his teammates instead of going to camps and clinics all over the country. Its hard to knock his decision since his team did win a state championship. I've seen him play twice in person and a couple of times on TV. Whoever gets him is going to be VERY happy, I can assure you of that.

MacThor
December 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

We're not losing 17 starters.

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Really?

http://www.richmondspiders.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart

15 position players and both kickers per UR's depth chart for the ASU game are seniors.

soccerguy315
December 23rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
ASU is only losing 6 starters, but not all incoming freshman will be redshirted next year. I would expect 2 or 3 of the 6 lineman signed to see playing time.

ASU had 4 players on the two-deep which were true freshman in 2009.

if true freshmen are on the field, that means the previous 4 years you missed on that position (or you have lost guys to injury).

SpidersSportsEditor
December 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Really?

http://www.richmondspiders.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart

15 position players and both kickers per UR's depth chart for the ASU game are seniors.

Yes, according to the depth chart the Spiders lose 17 seniors. The four O-lineman, 3 D-lineman, 2 linebackers, one defensive back, QB, running back and one tight end are really the only true "starters" they are losing though. That's still 13, which is still a lot, but by the end of the season we had different guys starting at the other positions.

DB Tremayne Graham played more than Seth Williams at the end of the year, the punter Weigand is eligible for another year if he wants to come back (I'm pretty sure), the kicker Howard was miserable during his last two seasons anyway and will be replaced by a better player in freshman Wil Kamin, Kevin Finney saw more time at TE by the end of the season, and Jordan Mitchell was listed as a starter but was actually the fourth best WR on the team, the three best WRs all return next year. xpeacex

Saint3333
December 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
if true freshmen are on the field, that means the previous 4 years you missed on that position (or you have lost guys to injury).

Or the last couple recruiting classes were better than the previous three. I wouldn't say ASU has "missed" recently, but the new facility seems to have opened doors to players ASU wasn't getting just 3 years ago.

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Or the last couple recruiting classes were better than the previous three. I wouldn't say ASU has "missed" recently, but the new facility seems to have opened doors to players ASU wasn't getting just 3 years ago.

After reading this thread for a day or so...

My head tells me that evaluating recruiting classes before they set foot in the door is the work of fans that haven't been around the block more than once.

Slow your roll. Be happy with what Armanti gave you. Recognize that you gain nothing from criticizing another program that has put together 3 outstanding consecutive years (which ASU has beaten 2 of 3). Richmond may have a down year next year, but it would be wise not to take pot shots while they're on their way out the door. You folks just lost the division's biggest playmaker in a decade or more. Mind your hubris: It could be your team as soon as next fall.

ThompsonThe
December 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Aw come on. It's just fun to pick with Richmond. Their fans do not take it that seriously. They are self confident in what they have, and will have. They have something like 14 verbals already. Name one other FCS team that has that lined up.

Saint3333
December 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM

My head tells me that evaluating recruiting classes before they set foot in the door is the work of fans that haven't been around the block more than once.

Slow your roll. Be happy with what Armanti gave you. Recognize that you gain nothing from criticizing another program that has put together 3 outstanding consecutive years (which ASU has beaten 2 of 3). Richmond may have a down year next year, but it would be wise not to take pot shots while they're on their way out the door. You folks just lost the division's biggest playmaker in a decade or more. Mind your hubris: It could be your team as soon as next fall.

Yeah I'm pretty new to this...xreadx.

Look I'm not trying to slam UR as stated previously, just looking at the facts. They are a good program, but the reloading comment struck me as odd and it has morphed into the conversation you read here, including a claim that my facts were incorrect.

Any program, ASU included, can not lose all the players UR is losing and be a top 25 team. They'll be back just not next year.

seattlespider
December 24th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah I'm pretty new to this...xreadx.

Look I'm not trying to slam UR as stated previously, just looking at the facts. They are a good program, but the reloading comment struck me as odd and it has morphed into the conversation you read here, including a claim that my facts were incorrect.

Any program, ASU included, can not lose all the players UR is losing and be a top 25 team. They'll be back just not next year.

But your facts were incorrect. Seniors /= starters.

paward
December 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
In our conference anything will and does happen. We have fared well when picked to finish fourth or lower. It is a brutal schedule awaiting us next year:

Elon (playoff team 2009)
Virginia (FBS)
New Hampshire (quarter-final team)
Villanova (national champions
William & Mary (semi-final team)
JMU (visiting team tends to win)
Delaware (Delvin coming of age)
UMASS (always formidable)

Then we have VMI, Rhode Island and Towson (either one of these could knock you off on their best day). Not sure how we can fit in Georgetown (not sure if we could).

it is a tough schedule. I do feel a fall off should be expected, but I think we will surprise some doubters. We lost some key players, but London did leave the cupboard with food. His last two recruiting classes were great. Some of those guys along with our returning players will be up to the challenge. I feel that Grayson, McBride, Graham and Rogers will be a powerful force for us.

SFspidur
December 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
We don't have VMI, but we do have Coastal Carolina.

And as far as I know, they haven't worked out the CAA scheduling, but regardless of which opponent we get to miss, it'll be a brutal slate.

I wouldn't count UR out of being a top 25 teams or maybe even a playoff qualifier next year, but given the schedule, it wouldn't be a surprise. Look at JMU and Delaware this year...two excellent teams that bounced in and out of the top 25 due to the difficulty of opponents faced week in and week out. Somebody has to be on the short end of CAA South stick, and there are usually some very good teams down there...it may be UR's turn year, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Tribe4SF
December 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't count UR out of the CAA race either. The OL will be the place to watch. As JMU and Delaware learned this year, if your OL is not top notch, CAA defenses will make life miserable for you, and as W&M showed, if your OL develops you can come out of the pack.

hapapp
December 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
In reading the Roanoke Times Top 100 FB players in Virginia, UR is second only to Tech in the number of commitments. Tech has 12, UR 10. ODU has 4, UVA 3, and JMU 0.

paward
December 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
In reading the Roanoke Times Top 100 FB players in Virginia, UR is second only to Tech in the number of commitments. Tech has 12, UR 10. ODU has 4, UVA 3, and JMU 0.

Reloading!

DTSpider
December 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Next year is 20 teams in the playoffs...look for a 7-4 CAA to make it.

Wildcat80
December 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM
How many schollies does UR have to give this year? rivals has you with 14 commits--that's alot already-if accurate.xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
December 26th, 2009, 11:11 AM
How many schollies does UR have to give this year? rivals has you with 14 commits--that's alot already-if accurate.xconfusedx

UR probably signs 17 or 18 this year. Will be interesting to see if they hold onto all the commits. Andrew Cordasco of Jamestown High is reportedly talking to London now at UVA. Hopefully Scott doesn't make the mistake Ambrose did at Towson last year when he reneged on an offer. Created bad pr, and eventually they honored the offer.

dukie
December 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Losing four o lineman and three d lineman to graduation sure looks like the makings of a tough year for UR next season. I don't care how good the rest of the team is. Ward was a good QB but he rarely got touched all season. UR's o line was the best in the conference and perhaps in the country this year. UR's defense was good but wasn't the best defense in our league.

UR won a lot of games because of their senior leadership. They easily could have missed the playoffs if wins against UD, JMU & W&M went the other way. All three of those games were literally won in the last minute of the game. Unreal!

What was Apps record in games Armanti did not play the last four years? Armanti is the equivalent of losing 10 starters. That is how much impact he had in the games he played. He is among the best to ever play in our division.

App will be a good team again next year but they will feel the pain of Armanti's graduation. The So Con title race should be much more competitive now.

Saint3333
December 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
But your facts were incorrect. Seniors /= starters.

Reading comprehension may not be your thing.xconfusedx

Look at the link to YOUR depth chart released for your last game of 2009 and get back to me.xreadx

ktuck911
December 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM

I wouldn't knock Rashad Winston... I was kinda surprised he chose Richmond over UCONN... Edsall definitely wanted him up in Storrs (he had an offer)...

BDKJMU
December 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM

I doubt the CAA could get 5 of 10 in. That would be the same as 6 of 12.

And not a snowball's chance in hell that 6 of 10 would get in. That would be about the same as 7 of 12.

Most likely it will be 4 of 10.

BDKJMU
December 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Really?

When starters lost/returning are listed, its generally out of 22 (11 offense, 11 defense). Kickers and punters aren't included. I know from the JMU-UR game, 14 of the 22 were listed as seniors.

BDKJMU
December 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Bingo.

Eight Legger
December 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't knock Rashad Winston... I was kinda surprised he chose Richmond over UCONN... Edsall definitely wanted him up in Storrs (he had an offer)...

Well, reports have London possibly trying to get him to follow along to UVA now. My gut tells me it won't be the only recruit he tries to take to Cavland with him. Ugh.

As for our situation, as outlined earlier we lose a lot of seniors who were listed as starters, but several of them didn't play as much as underclassmen. And by my count, we will start 12 seniors next year -- not too shabby.

Our biggest question marks are O-line (though I don't expect much of a drop-off there) and QB. We still have one of the best WR corps in the nation and some of the best LBs on defense.

jmufan999
December 30th, 2009, 08:15 AM

true. but Dae'Quann Scott was one of our best grabs last year... who said right up until the last second he was going to UR. he changed his mind after visiting the JMU campus.

the point is, commitments mean absolutely nothing at this point. when they sign on the line, then let's talk commitments. remember, these are 16 or 17 year old kids... try to remember how you were at that age! our big selling point is the "new" stadium, and the kids aren't going to know much about it until they see the work being done with their own eyes.

same thing with the "star" system... there are so many flaws with the system it's unbelievable. many sites require the school to pay a certain fee to have them come take a look at the player. so from the start, it's an unfair system. then of course you're just taking ONE GUY'S opinion... and we have NO IDEA who the guy is... he could be some 19 year old hack with a laptop who's never played football in his life, yet we talk about "we got this 3 star guy", stuff like that. means nothing. now, if you've seen VIDEO on the kid, and more than just a 15 second highlight reel.... now we're talking.

Tribe4SF
December 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Have to agree that the star system breaks down badly when it comes to FCS recruits. The Tribe's class of 2008 had five guys who have stood out so far....RB Jonathan Grimes...TE Alex Gottlieb...CB BW Webb...LB Dante Cook...WR Ryan Moody. None of the five had so much as a single star from anyone.

ur2k
January 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
UR's staff close to completion. We'll have a new OC and DC. But OC (Wayne Lineburg) is our former OC under Clawson. DC Bob Trott comes to us with a good resume.

Should be officially announced soon (possibly today).

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB05_20100104-222606/315429/

Eight Legger
January 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM
true. but Dae'Quann Scott was one of our best grabs last year... who said right up until the last second he was going to UR. he changed his mind after visiting the JMU campus.

..and after failing to qualify academically for UR.

SpeedkingATL
January 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Have to agree that the star system breaks down badly when it comes to FCS recruits. The Tribe's class of 2008 had five guys who have stood out so far....RB Jonathan Grimes...TE Alex Gottlieb...CB BW Webb...LB Dante Cook...WR Ryan Moody. None of the five had so much as a single star from anyone.

I really don't think the stars mean very much unless they are 4 or 5 star and even then it is debatable. W&M had enough athletes to stick it to UVA last year.xhurrayx

Armanti had no stars coming into ASU.

BDKJMU
January 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM

the point is, commitments mean absolutely nothing at this point. when they sign on the line, then let's talk commitments. remember, these are 16 or 17 year old kids... try to remember how you were at that age! our big selling point is the "new" stadium, and the kids aren't going to know much about it until they see the work being done with their own eyes.

same thing with the "star" system... there are so many flaws with the system it's unbelievable. many sites require the school to pay a certain fee to have them come take a look at the player. so from the start, it's an unfair system. then of course you're just taking ONE GUY'S opinion... and we have NO IDEA who the guy is... he could be some 19 year old hack with a laptop who's never played football in his life, yet we talk about "we got this 3 star guy", stuff like that. means nothing. now, if you've seen VIDEO on the kid, and more than just a 15 second highlight reel.... now we're talking.

17-18 year old

Head Cat
January 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Or it could also mean that you recruited a really dominant freshman. Every year in college football, you end up with really talented freshmen playing significant roles.

Head Cat
January 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
When starters lost/returning are listed, its generally out of 22 (11 offense, 11 defense). Kickers and punters aren't included. I know from the JMU-UR game, 14 of the 22 were listed as seniors.

Wrong. Most lists that talk about returning players DO include the kicker and punter, making it 24 starters, not 22. The fact is that Richmond is losing a truckload of talent.

89Hen
January 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Disagree. He was a HUGE part of that offense.

89Hen
January 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM

This is a pretty ignorant statement.
I don't think AppMan's statement was ignorant and you can't grow them much bigger on that frame, redshirt year or not. The more alarming note from that list IMO was one undersized OL. THAT's more xeyebrowx than the lack of larger DT's. IIRC UR is losing several OL starters and with none listed on the chart yet (I know it's early but they only have so many spots), I'd be concerned if I were a Spider fan.

CatfishKhan
January 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I don't think AppMan's statement was ignorant and you can't grow them much bigger on that frame, redshirt year or not.

Sure you can. Here is a 6 ft 315 lber on the Ravens.
Kelly Gregg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Gregg)

The more alarming note from that list IMO was one undersized OL. THAT's more xeyebrowx than the lack of larger DT's. IIRC UR is losing several OL starters and with none listed on the chart yet (I know it's early but they only have so many spots), I'd be concerned if I were a Spider fan.

We aren't going to be undersized on the OL next year. Hard to know how good it will be, but it won't be too small.

Last year's profiles on some possible OL starters this year who will either be juniors or seniors this year:

Brian Agnis (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/agnis_brian00.html)
Ryan Goss (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/goss_ryan00.html)
Drew Lachenmayer (only returning starter) (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lachenmayer_drew00.html)
Austin Recker (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/recker_austin00.html)
Jason Sakoian (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sakoian_jason00.html)
Kevin Westervelt (http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/westervelt_kevin00.html)

89Hen
January 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Sure you can. Here is a 6 ft 315 lber on the Ravens.
Kelly Gregg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Gregg)
If you can put 60 pounds on these kids and turn them in to Kelly Gregg, more power to you. xthumbsupx

seattlespider
January 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Per the parent of a recruit, as of now, all of our verbals are still confirmed. Doesn't mean much at this point, but that's where we are.

spdram
January 7th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Everything I hear is we will keep all of our verbals. Being told the recruits have been making commitments to one another to stay together.

paward
January 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
And the stock in the pot just got thicker.