PDA

View Full Version : Hauck. Gone. UNLV.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/22/montanas-hauck-coming-back-second-interview-today/

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Awesome. xnonono2x

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!:(

ASUG8
December 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Now what UM? Is this an opportunity or a problem for the Griz program?

uofmman1122
December 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
I don't care what anyone else says. This sucks.

Replacing Bobby Hauck with an equally talented or more talented coach is going to be very hard.

At least we don't have to hear the incessant "Fire Bobby Hauck" bull***** anymore. xnonono2x

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Now what UM? Is this an opportunity or a problem for the Griz program?

Jerry Glanville is still available, I think.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx

UNHWildCats
December 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
You think it would be hard to replace him? I would assume Montana would be one of the most premier gigs in FCS and they can prolly get a number of quality coaches to go there.

UNHWildCats
December 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Jerry Glanville is still available, I think.xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

UNHFan99
December 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think you wont miss a beat. He was a good coach but that is also a very desirable job. If I was an up and coming coach I would want to go there and almost be guaranteed success with your tradition, facilities, and fanbase. I would go there over any small FBS conference team. Probably even over a Marshall. Why take a crappy FBS gig and get paid a real good salary for 3 yrs and then be a coordinator after you get fired. OR. Coach at Montana for decent pay raise a family and consistantly paid with more job security. Im suprised he left unless the money was just that much better.

info197176
December 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'd say $700,000 versus $250,000 is MUCH better!

Bogus Megapardus
December 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/22/montanas-hauck-coming-back-second-interview-today/

Fascinating assortment of discussion comments following the lead article. Worth reading.

Green Cookie Monster
December 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM

More like $700,000 vs $145,000.

paward
December 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Good Luck to Caoch Hauck and Grizz Nation. New man at the helm next year should be interesting. We know how you feel.

Ivytalk
December 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Na-na-na-na....xcoolx

4th and What?
December 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I would think Montana's current success and history might actually keep some coaches away. Basically for the new coach to be considered a success, Montana will need to win NC's. Anything less will be considered a failure (or at least a non-success). If any coach is looking to keep the door open for future bigger and better jobs, I would think Montana might not be the best place to go.

Of course, I have never had any experience either coaching or hiring a coach, so what the hell do I know???

Ronbo
December 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM

That's before TV, Radio, and incentives. Hauck made around $220,000 in 2009.

ysubigred
December 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Good bye! He sucked anyhow could not win a NC to save his arse!! Always know as the brides maid :p

Eight Legger
December 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
That's all Montana was paying him?? I'm shocked. Don't you draw 25k a game out there? Why can't a guy who has been to a few title games get paid any more than that? I think London was making more like $300k or more here. Can't say I blame Hauck for moving.

UNH Fanboi
December 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
That's before TV, Radio, and incentives. Hauck made around $220,000 in 2009.

And $220,000 probably goes pretty far in Montana

VictorG
December 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM

Yup! All the way to Vegas!

I hope he does a great job down there and I bet he will. I've always supported him here in Montana but I am not sad to see him go. It's an opportunity for everyone involved. Bobby H. gets the chance to see what he can do in a bigger stage and Montana gets to add a new wave of excitement into the football program. Hopefully, both UNLV and UM will benefit.

putter
December 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Press conference scheduled tomorrow (Wed) at noon PST.

griz8791
December 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I would think Montana's current success and history might actually keep some coaches away. Basically for the new coach to be considered a success, Montana will need to win NC's. Anything less will be considered a failure (or at least a non-success). If any coach is looking to keep the door open for future bigger and better jobs, I would think Montana might not be the best place to go.

Of course, I have never had any experience either coaching or hiring a coach, so what the hell do I know???

I think you've hit this nail on the head. This and the AD's proclivity to promote from within are the two things that scare the piss out of me.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
We feel your pain, Griz!

onbison09
December 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Is Joe Glenn a possibility? No idea that's just who I thought of.

VictorG
December 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM

Only if they want my season tickets for resale!

In other words, God I hope not!

UNH Fanboi
December 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM

UNLV doesn't sound much more attractive (aside from the money obviously). Not a single coach has lasted more than 5 years, and it must be even tougher than ever to convince recruits to go to Las Vegas. Seems like there is a very high chance of failure, and then what??

veinup
December 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
BOBBBYYYYY!!!! WHHYY!!!!!! well, i'm disappointed. can't say we didn't see it coming, but still.. crap.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM

Makes you wonder if Breske's resignation now looks more legit?

Did he know Montana was about to open up and is he trying to get back to the Big Sky region?

State Line Liquors
December 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hauck made around $220,000 in 2009.

xeekx xnonono2x xrotatehx

UNHFan99
December 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
UNLV doesn't sound much more attractive (aside from the money obviously). Not a single coach has lasted more than 5 years, and it must be even tougher than ever to convince recruits to go to Las Vegas. Seems like there is a very high chance of failure, and then what??

That is exactly my point. I dont see the difference between making $230,000 for 5 or 10 yrs and being important and influencial in your community OR making $700,000 for 3 yrs and looking for a job as a coordinator. At a UNLV or another below average FBS team you are considered an overpaid unimportant employee waiting to be fired.

It doesnt look like a step up except pay.

Chip Kelly has been quoted speaking of his 13 yrs as an assistant at UNH "The Big Time Is Where You Are At"

MWC Average Attendance Per Team:

1. BYU - 64,236

2. Utah - 45,155

3. TCU - 38,187

4. Air Force - 35,656

5. New Mexico - 26,944

6. San Diego State - 24,464

7. Colorado State - 23,643

8. UNLV - 22,775

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Chip Kelly - boy, talk about a coordinator that bode his time for the right job. I'll never forget on ESPN when the announcers said: "Three years ago, he was competing for the Brice-Cowell Musket"!

UNHFan99
December 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
I am pretty sure he was overlooked for some FCS job in the CAA and also around the country in the last 5 years

TheValleyRaider
December 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
That is exactly my point. I dont see the difference between making $230,000 for 5 or 10 yrs and being important and influencial in your community OR making $700,000 for 3 yrs and looking for a job as a coordinator. At a UNLV or another below average FBS team you are considered an overpaid unimportant employee waiting to be fired.

It doesnt look like a step up except pay.

Chip Kelly has been quoted speaking of his 13 yrs as an assistant at UNH "The Big Time Is Where You Are At"

MWC Average Attendance Per Team:

1. BYU - 64,236

2. Utah - 45,155

3. TCU - 38,187

4. Air Force - 35,656

5. New Mexico - 26,944

6. San Diego State - 24,464

7. Colorado State - 23,643

8. UNLV - 22,775

First off, it is a significant upgrade in pay, so it's hard to fault him on that angle. Second, sure, the chance of success is low, but if you have success (and success at UNLV would be described as "a bowl game"), your price and profile can increase pretty quickly. A decent influx of talent could make UNLV the 4th or 5th best team in the conference, well within bowl range

If Hauck has been looking to move up in the College Football world, taking a job at a Mountain West school is a pretty good way to go

Silenoz
December 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM

In the minority here, but I hope so

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I don't mind that Hauck has moved on and can't fault him for it. I also think it takes some gonads to take the job he is taking. There is a risk taking this job, fail and you go nowhere else. So I give him credit for taking the risk and putting his career on the line. I do hope the best for him, it will be a bumpy ride for a bit.

As to what it means to Montana.....I hope we can find the right guy to carry on our program and keep us on the right track. Next years team should be in good shape and if we get the right guy, I know people will come out and support the team. xpeacex

I Bleed Purple
December 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Wyoming's attendance figures?

Hard to beat the big 3 in the MWC. I don't think any team has been in the top three in conference beside TCU, the Y and the U since TCU joined the conference.

*sigh* Add in USU, and 130,000 average attendance 70 miles away or less and we're happy when 8,000 show up.

Silenoz
December 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder if Cats fans are relieved their arch enemy is finally leaving

http://www.egriz.com/grizpics/albums/grizpics/2009/football/montanastate/thumb_griz-vs-montana-state-9.jpg

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I wonder if Cats fans are relieved their arch enemy is finally leaving

http://www.egriz.com/grizpics/albums/grizpics/2009/football/montanastate/thumb_griz-vs-montana-state-9.jpg

I'll miss him mainly because he was so easy to hate.xnodx

Really, it makes no diff to me, but it'll be interesting to see who the griz hire to replace him. Hauck has no record of building a team so I question how much success he'll have at UNLV. The griz are in good shape for whoever the new coach is, but different coaching philosophies, new assistants, etc. all take time to get used to. The griz seldom go outside the circle when replacing coaches which may cause a little less disruption if an assistant is bumped up for the job, but I really don't know if any of the current assistants are HC material or not.

VictorG
December 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
The griz seldom go outside the circle when replacing coaches which may cause a little less disruption if an assistant is bumped up for the job.

Neither Hauck or Joe Glen were on staff at Montana when they got hired. The last time Glen had worked for Montana before he was hired as a HC he was fired.

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
How many head coaches has Montana had since the last time it didn't make the playoffs?

Grizzaholic
December 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
New coach and staff will be announced Wed. or Thurs. morning. They have been in the works since the week of the App St. game. BH knew he would be leaving and tried to go out on top. Didn't but still got the job. O'Day and others had things in place for if and when he left they would all be covered by X-Mas. Don't worry your little heads on this issue. The Program will be in good hands.

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
New coach and staff will be announced Wed. or Thurs. morning. They have been in the works since the week of the App St. game. BH knew he would be leaving and tried to go out on top. Didn't but still got the job. O'Day and others had things in place for if and when he left they would all be covered by X-Mas. Don't worry your little heads on this issue. The Program will be in good hands.

Makes ya wonder how much Hauck was into the NC game.xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
December 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

I would think he was in it full steam because he wanted to go out on top. Who wouldn't?

Don't you have some more Griz hate to spew on bobcatnation.com?

CrunchGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
How many head coaches has Montana had since the last time it didn't make the playoffs?

Montana's 17-straight-year playoff participation streak has been accomplished by four different head coaches:

Don Read, 1993-1995
Mick Dennehy, 1996-1999
Joe Glenn, 2000-2002
Bobby Hauck, 2003-2009

SpeedkingATL
December 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Best of luck to Hauck but I don't expect the Griz to miss a beat. I'll alway like Hauck as I' sure he had a hand in scheduling the ASU/Montana home and home that starts in 2011.xthumbsupx

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM

Try $350,000 and incentives.............

New UNLV football coach Bobby Hauck agreed to an incentive-heavy three-year contract today that pays him an annual salary of $350,000.

Hauck, 45, receives $150,000 in base pay, $150,000 for media obligations and $50,000 for public appearances.

The contract also includes the following postseason incentives:
— $100,000 for making a Bowl Championship Series game
— $25,000 for the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas
— $20,000 for the Poinsettia Bowl
— $15,000 for the Independence Bowl
— $10,000 for the Armed Forces or New Mexico bowl.

Hauck also receives the following incentives for regular-season performance:
— $15,000 for 11 victories
— $12,500 for 10
— $10,000 for nine
— $7,500 for eight
— $5,000 for seven.

In addition, he receives a $10,000 bonus for appearing in a season's final coaches' Top 25 poll, $10,000 for being named Mountain West Conference Coach of the Year, and $5,000 for an Academic Progress Report greater than 925.

griz8791
December 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

I don't buy it. The guy simply cannot abide losing and he would have wanted to win it for his players.

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Montana's 17-straight-year playoff participation streak has been accomplished by four different head coaches:

Don Read, 1993-1995
Mick Dennehy, 1996-1999
Joe Glenn, 2000-2002
Bobby Hauck, 2003-2009

And have any of the previous three set the world on fire after they left Montana?

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I would think he was in it full steam because he wanted to go out on top. Who wouldn't?

Don't you have some more Griz hate to spew on bobcatnation.com?

You're the one who posted that Hauck knew he was leaving the week before the NC game (of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's true) so I can see how his head might not have been in it 100%. Was Hauck leaving regardless of whether or not he got the UNLV job? That's the impression I got reading your post. Just wondering...........xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
December 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
You're the one who posted that Hauck knew he was leaving the week before the NC game (of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's true) so I can see how his head might not have been in it 100%. Was Hauck leaving regardless of whether or not he got the UNLV job? That's the impression I got reading your post. Just wondering...........xcoffeex

UNLV was his and his alone, apparently whether or not he won the chipper. Why do you even care anyways? You hate everything Griz. It doesn't matter who is at the helm of the U of M program, you will hate them with as much piss and vinegar as possible.

I am sure there is some Bobcat business that is available for you to be posting on.

GO SUU!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
$100,000 for making a Bowl Championship Series game

Good luck on THAT one! Call it $400k, please. No way UNLV is going to a BCS bowl.

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
UNLV was his and his alone, apparently whether or not he won the chipper. Why do you even care anyways? You hate everything Griz. It doesn't matter who is at the helm of the U of M program, you will hate them with as much piss and vinegar as possible.

I am sure there is some Bobcat business that is available for you to be posting on.

GO SUU!

Absolutely not true, I thought Don Read was a great coach and I highly respected him. I also thought Joe Glen was a great guy. My dislike of Hauck has nothing to do with his coaching ability, the guy is a POS as a human being.

bshgriz
December 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Absolutely not true, I thought Don Read was a great coach and I highly respected him. I also thought Joe Glen was a great guy. My dislike of Hauck has nothing to do with his coaching ability, the guy is a POS as a human being. Yea, he reminded me a lot of the POS who runs BSH football.. Except with success tenfold:D

R.A.
December 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
So Montana, who will replace him?

paytonlives
December 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
So Montana, who will replace him?

My money is on Pflugrad, he is with the Griz now after being at Oregon... very good recruiter that knows the west coast. I also believe he would take UM back to an Air Bear attack.

Grizaholic17
December 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
So long and fair well Hauck. You will not be missed by many of us. He embarrassed our program. He is a good coach yes, but as a person he is an a**hole I don't give a ***** about superficial accomplishments if they don't treat the media or others very well. Be professional and get the job done. He could not win us the big game. You would think you could win 1 of them out of three tries. psh.

Proud Griz Man
December 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
So long and fair well Hauck. You will not be missed by many of us. He embarrassed our program. He is a good coach yes, but as a person he is an a**hole I don't give a ***** about superficial accomplishments if they don't treat the media or others very well. Be professional and get the job done. He could not win us the big game. You would think you could win 1 of them out of three tries. psh.

I know the man, and Bob is a good guy. Hard worker and good recruiter, and the players gave him a good effort every saturday. I appreciate all he did for my alma mater, and am sad to see him go to UNLV. I don't know what your complaints are, but it is probably that insignificant student newspaper. xcoffeex

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM

Sometimes griz fans say it even better than I can............................xbowxxbowx

fltheadgriz
December 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I would either love to see Pflugrad OR
Van Deist (NAIA coach that led Carroll College to 6 (I think) NC)

TokyoGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yup! All the way to Vegas!

I hope he does a great job down there and I bet he will. I've always supported him here in Montana but I am not sad to see him go. It's an opportunity for everyone involved. Bobby H. gets the chance to see what he can do in a bigger stage and Montana gets to add a new wave of excitement into the football program. Hopefully, both UNLV and UM will benefit.

I agree xnodxxnodx

Thanks for the years BH. Good luck in Sin city!

Onward and upward!

I Bleed Purple
December 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

Job opening: Higher level university looking for person who excels at what he does. Main qualification. Has to be in the top 99th percentile of his peers. Those at the 98th percentile or below need not apply.

TokyoGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Job opening: Higher level university looking for person who excels at what he does. Main qualification. Has to be in the top 99th percentile of his peers. Those at the 98th percentile or below need not apply.

Should also add - Previous coaches in this position for the last 15 years all Moved up to FBS and $500,000 plus paychecks. (Mick Dennehey, Joe Glenn and Bobby) Coach read before that retired.

Its the incentive factor. xnodx

Edit note -Better also add that the new hire will also likely have to help transition UM to FBS in the next 4-5 years.

GOKATS
December 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Should also add - Previous coaches in this position for the last 15 years all Moved up to BCS and $500,000 plus paychecks. (Mick Dennehey, Joe Glenn and Bobby) Coach read before that retired.

Haucks incentive was only $350K, I guess he wasn't as qualified.

molly
December 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM

This USA Today analysis -- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-coaches-contracts-database.htm -- makes it clear that the biggest difference in head coaches' salaries between the FCS and FBS level (particularly at the non-BCS level schools) is the amount of money FBS coaches get from shoe/apparel contracts, consideration for appearing on media shows, public appearances, camps, etc. Most of this money is guaranteed (as it is in Hauck's case, apparently) but is not part of the base salary. That level of money just simply isn't there for most =]cFCS coaches.

Additionally, of course, there are the incentives for various levels of success which far exceed what FCS schools can give their coaches. For instance, Nick Saban's base salary is only $225,000, but combined with his other agreements, it's $3.9 million with another $700,000 possible depending on that year's success. On the other hand, Akron's head coach gets a $196,000 base salary and $50,000 in other income, with an additional $248,000 available in success bonuses.

It looks like most of Hauck's success bonuses will be very difficult to achieve initially.

JALMOND
December 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Makes me think that Pflugrad knew this and bowed out of consideration for the Portland State job. Pretty sure Pflugrad would have been the top choice at PSU if he would have remained up for consideration there.

I'm thinking as well the job is up between Pflugrad and Van Diest. If that is the case, the Griz will not lose a beat if they choose between either one.

mtgrizfan4life
December 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Pflugrad or Doeren from Wisconsin will be the man.

th0m
December 23rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
How about that coach from Carroll College?

uofmman1122
December 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM
How about that coach from Carroll College?I've heard a lot of pros and cons about Van Diest, but have forgotten most of them.

I don't see him leaving Carroll, though.

HenZoneNation
December 23rd, 2009, 07:44 AM
What I didn't understand about the last post about Hauch was how some Griz fans could be that harsh about about a guy who led his team to three NC's. I also don't understand how in other threads people made the arguement, and correctly so, that UM was the #2 school of this decade, and then turned around and slammed the coach who was at the healm for most of the decade. I understand that he didn't win an NC, but that wasn't the basis for the #2 claim. The basis was conference championships, wins, and NC appearences for being #2and yet people then turn back around and want him gone. It doesn't make sense. His record was incredible.

I get why he left in regards to money but I think what stings is that he's a Montana boy born and raised and he's leaving. When you have a school like Montana that has a proud tradition, it's even nicer to have one of your own at the healm, especially when they're winning (as oppossed to when you have one of your own in charge and they're losing...KC).

I wouldn't worry about recruiting. If you are a top FCS prospect in that area and you have your choice of schools you'll most likely pick Montana just based on reputation and that stadium alone. You'de actually have to hire a horrible coach to do that.

Bam
December 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Watch out for Suge Bobby my man. Win or else.

Husky4Life
December 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM

How does a 3 year $350k/year contract work out in any way shape or form to be $700k?

Torgo
December 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM

It does. The coast of living in Montana is typically much lower than on the East Coast. Moving from a Rust Belt city in Pittsburgh, which is pretty cheap compared to most of the East Coast, to Missoula I was shocked at how cheap most things are. You have to look at the value of $220,000 compared to that same amount in Los Angeles or New York...or Las Vegas. Its worth a lot more in Montana.

The money is better for Bobby, but not an eye-popping amount. This definitely would seem to be the Brian Kelly school of climbing the ladder from the looks of it, but its going to be a lot harder to overcome the top teams of the Mountain West than Kelly could in the MAC.

Its bittersweet for me. Bobby is a hell of a coach, but he didn't win the big one. That's a monkey that will follow him around for quite a while...but the success was enough to make up for that for the most part...but there's no doubt his regime brought on a few black eyes to the University's prestige with his complete disregard for football players as student-athletes, putting them on a pedestal above anyone else at the school (refusing to talk to the Kaimin, extremely lax on discipline, etc.). I'm sure we'll replace him fine, and there's enough talent on this team that the fall-off shouldn't be too great in the near future...but its always rough going from a known to an unknown.

Ronbo
December 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
How does a 3 year $350k/year contract work out in any way shape or form to be $700k?

We had a UNLV poster answer that question on eGriz. A UNLV booster organization pays the Coach additional salary. It's not State money and because of that it's not reported, but it is in the contract.

Here is the post.

Hauck's not making $350/year....the school / university system is paying $350k a year. The contract will be for higher than this as there's a booster paid portion not mentioned. Lon Kruger, for example, is paid roughly $300k from the school and over $800k from boosters. I'm guessing Hauck is going to get around $650-800K/year total...we'll know more tomorrow.

I believe UNLV does it this way so they don't have to claim they're paying a coach $700k a year....It helps with Title IX and all the other government bologne. Its all above board though and will be in his contract that will be public tomorrow.

Rekdiver
December 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have a great name for the Griz. Scot Satterfield who is OC at Toledo who was previoulsy at ASU...........

Rekdiver
December 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Maybe the cold of Wash/Griz stadium got to him as bad as it did us!

veinup
December 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
What I didn't understand about the last post about Hauch was how some Griz fans could be that harsh about about a guy who led his team to three NC's. I also don't understand how in other threads people made the arguement, and correctly so, that UM was the #2 school of this decade, and then turned around and slammed the coach who was at the healm for most of the decade. I understand that he didn't win an NC, but that wasn't the basis for the #2 claim. The basis was conference championships, wins, and NC appearences for being #2and yet people then turn back around and want him gone. It doesn't make sense. His record was incredible.

I get why he left in regards to money but I think what stings is that he's a Montana boy born and raised and he's leaving. When you have a school like Montana that has a proud tradition, it's even nicer to have one of your own at the healm, especially when they're winning (as oppossed to when you have one of your own in charge and they're losing...KC).

Agree with most of this. As a Grizzly fan i'm a bit dismayed at some of the reactions from my fellow fans. I wasn't in love with his style of football, and yes some of the off-field stuff was questionable/badly handled, but come on.. Look at what Bobby Hauck did for us. Look at what he got out of our players. We hardly lost a GAME under that guy. We went to three national title games. We didn't win. We came close. What more do you want? Show some respect for the man, he was a great coach.

Proud Griz Man
December 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Agree with most of this. As a Grizzly fan i'm a bit dismayed at some of the reactions from my fellow fans. I wasn't in love with his style of football, and yes some of the off-field stuff was questionable/badly handled, but come on.. Look at what Bobby Hauck did for us. Look at what he got out of our players. We hardly lost a GAME under that guy. We went to three national title games. We didn't win. We came close. What more do you want? Show some respect for the man, he was a great coach.

Great coach and Bobby is a good guy. The school newspaper took a minor incident and sought out a conflict with the Athletic department.

srgrizizen
December 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM

You know, you have to sympathize with Grizaholic's agony. After all, out of about 120 FCS teams, the Griz are the most miserable, sad sack, hard luck team in the country. I mean, just reflect on the past season. One team, Villanova, is supremely satisfied. About 118 others are posting condolences to the Griz and thanking their lucky stars that they didn't have to endure the ignominy of losing the NC game. They watched Griz nation travel in massive numbers yet again to Chattanooga. As they watched the pregame hoopla and partying, the post game bar hopping and sorrow-drowning revelry, they were undoubtedly thinking: "There but for the grace of God goes my team." No doubt this record should have all but ended Bobby Hauck's chances of ever getting another job, because who would want to see him lead their team to victory after victory only to wind up losing a NC game at some point, or (oh, the horror) even repeatedly. Happy the fans who may never have to face such a devastating prospect. And why, oh, God, did you have to make us Griz fans when we could have been, say, Idaho State, Towson, or Rhode Island fans, secure in the knowledge that we will be forever spared such a cruel fate. xlolxxlolx

Mid-Atlantic
December 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
this is Brent Musberger's fault, he suggested this hire during a nationally televised game

mlbowl
December 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Good lord those Rebs are full of themselves...Go to lasvegassun.com and give the FCS bashers a piece of your mind...I feel all alone therexbawlingx...One guy in particular, boise_runninrebel, is a real treatxnodx

ngineer
December 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Try $350,000 and incentives.............

No incentives relating to graduation rate?......xsmhx

WyomingGrizFan
December 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM

I don't think Hauck was all that distracted and unconcerned. Not like how Joe Glenn was in his last year. Granted, more suspicion than substance, but the innuendo is there. A twenty-four game winning streak lost on the road is one thing, but losing to McNeese St in the Playoffs when the Griz were up 17-3 with three minutes in the third quarter left really hurts. It was like so what? I'm going to Wyoming anyways sort of deal/attitude displayed.

I think Glenn was negotiating with Wyoming in the background on that one; besides which, an awfully peculiar statement by Glenn when the Kats beat the Griz in Missoula to end a sixteen game streak. "A rivalry shouldn't go on like this"...huh? (So onesided as the Griz had it; so what? - Talking like an outsider would). Keeping Edwards in the game even though he went 1 - 19 in passing? When they had other QBs as well; one that transferred from Wyoming. No recruiting whatsoever for the next year in Glenn's last year. Mighty peculiar circumstances indeed.

At least Hauck maintained his focus with the Griz. As far as I'm concerned. I don't like it at all when some university programs think they're so big that they can interrupt smaller programs by just walking in anytime they choose and throwing their money around and hire away a coach before the year is done. Contracts are sacred in a court of law; at least let the year run it's course before offering a contract to a coach who still has his old team playing games.

Zangzigger
December 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
A well deserved promotion for Hauck

PhoenixMan
December 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well UM, surely one of those dadgum Bowdens is looking for a job :-)

UNH Fanboi
December 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Contracts are sacred in a court of law; at least let the year run it's course before offering a contract to a coach who still has his old team playing games.

Employment contracts are generally "at-will," meaning the employee can legally walk away at any time. I agree that it is poor etiquette though.

WyomingGrizFan
December 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I don't know. Sometimes it seems like more than just poor etiquette. I fully empathize with the likes of West Virginia and now Cincinnati. Glenn lost three of his last four games at Montana and still has a better overall winning percentage than Hauck.

When another university comes knocking on the door of another's coach, while his team is still playing a regular season into the playoffs and/or Bowl game then the result seems to hurt not only the team's focus but the university and its alumnus and boosters as well as the community. The ramifications remind me of a 'breech-of-contract.' One can call such contracts "at-will" but the overall effect of a coach going to another school, negotiating while receiving pay checks from his present employer, leaves me to feel as if the entire student body/affiliates can sue the departing coach for remunerations constituting reimbursement; if Nebraska defeated Texas, Cincinnati is saying they coulda, shoulda, woulda been in line for the BCS Championship instead of merely having to play Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Not that it would actually be 'legal' to actually sue the departing coach/coaching staff, of course. But it sure would be 'just.'

tribe_pride
December 24th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Employment contracts are generally "at-will," meaning the employee can legally walk away at any time. I agree that it is poor etiquette though.

Employment is generally "at-will." Most coaches are on an employment contract for a specific term. That is not at-will and that is why you hear about all of these payouts when a coach leaves one school to go to another. Not sure that is the case here but I thought all coaches were on contracts for a term.

Big Dawg
December 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Montana fans...Alvin Wyatt is available...*snicker*