PDA

View Full Version : SFA '10 Slate Includes Albany, UNI, Lamar

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
All Division I schools for SFA, starting with FBS A&M.

Glad to see an NEC school coming down to the Southland. Wonder how much they are getting for this one - could get nasty with Moses as a senior. UNI-SFA may be a great early season match-up...

STEPHEN F AUSTIN
9-4...at Texas A&M
9-11... ALBANY
9-18...at Northern Iowa
9-25...LAMAR
10-9...at McNeese State
10-16...CENTRAL ARKANSAS
10-23...vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium)
10-30...TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS
11-6...at Nicholls State
11-13...SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
11-20...NORTHWESTERN STATE

Herdman
December 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
That's a nice schedule.

txstatebobcat
December 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
All Division I schools for SFA, starting with FBS A&M.

Glad to see an NEC school coming down to the Southland. Wonder how much they are getting for this one - could get nasty with Moses as a senior. UNI-SFA may be a great early season match-up...

STEPHEN F AUSTIN
9-4...at Texas A&M
9-11... ALBANY
9-18...at Northern Iowa
9-25...LAMAR
10-9...at McNeese State
10-16...CENTRAL ARKANSAS
10-23...vs Sam Houston State (Reliant Stadium)
10-30...TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS
11-6...at Nicholls State
11-13...SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
11-20...NORTHWESTERN STATE

Fantastic OOC schedule and even better conference schedule. A two week layoff before starting conference play at McNeese and with Central Arkansas, TxSt, SLU all at home will certainly help the Jack's chances of repeating as conference champs.

UNH Fanboi
December 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Always nice to see some quality OOC matchups before the playoffs.

McNeese75
December 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
xsmileyclapx Congrats to the Jacks for a really nice OOC schedule. xnodx

bcrawf
December 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Looking forward to your visit to Cedar Falls!!

GeauxLions94
December 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Nice schedule Jacks xthumbsupx

CRAZY_DANE
December 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Great to see Albany get down to Texas. Love it. Now if they could get out to So Cal.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I am just happy to see an all Division I schedule in the conference!

SHSU has the same thing and if they (SFA) can manage a 3-1 out of conference record (which is within reach), they really put themselves in for a playoff berth. That's what we want...

Two or three SLC playoff teams, got to happen!

RabidRabbit
December 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM

SHSU has the same thing and if they (SFA) can manage a 3-1 out of conference record (which is within reach), they really put themselves in for a playoff berth. That's what we want...

Lamar in first year, that counts as a D-I win since they aren't a transitioning program?

The key game is the UNI game. Albany is a nice ratchet up for the Danes and NEC. Good to see them choose a flight OOC rather than bus ride opponent xbowx

SFA has a nice schedule for '10.

MSU_77
December 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM

McNeese HAD an all D1 schedule (including Missouri and LSU) until Southern pulled out again. Now they'll probably, as someone on GeauxCowboys said, have to schedule West Virginia School for the Blind or someone similar.

DG Cowboy
December 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=RabidRabbit;1502514]Lamar in first year, that counts as a D-I win since they aren't a transitioning program?

I have posted this twice on other threads you have not seen, but the McNeese AD told me that our game with Lamar does not count for the playoffs in 2010. To date that has not been contradicted.

In our case, McNeese has games with LSU and Missouri, as well as Lamar, so realistically,we pretty much have to win conference to make the playoffs. Its a reloading year anyway, so the playoff angle may be a moot point.;)

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have posted this twice on other threads you have not seen, but the McNeese AD told me that our game with Lamar does not count for the playoffs in 2010. To date that has not been contradicted.

That surprises me, since it seems that Lamar since they are already a Division I program would count. We need to get this confirmed since it impacts SHSU and Stephen F. Austin as well...

I know South Alabama is a different case scenario since the process they are undergoing is different. Will find out...

McNeese HAD an all D1 schedule (including Missouri and LSU) until Southern pulled out again. Now they'll probably, as someone on GeauxCowboys said, have to schedule West Virginia School for the Blind or someone similar.

What Southern did to you guys for '10 is what Prairie View did to us in '09. The difference is that it is December now and not March/April as the Panthers, who did not return phone calls - dropped the bomb on us.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Latest response from Lamar's associate AD, who wrote that it is their understanding that Lamar does not count towards the total and that they are technically "unclassified".

Another contact in response to the associate AD's remark says they would have to check with the NCAA for further confirmation.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
David Coulson wrote me and said, "Lamar and Old Dominion fall into a different category. They are NOT transition teams. They are fully Division I as soon as they begin programs because they were fully D-I in everything else. If you look in the FCS stats, for example, ODU players are eligible in every category for NCAA recognition."

So - guess they count for Division I status. Would assume Coulson knows based on the fact he is covering plenty of new programs and there have been tons of questions presented.

Sly Fox
December 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Tough three games to start the new Fritz era ... as matter of fact it will be a tough with no locks on the slate outside of September 25th.

UAalum72
December 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
It could be that first-year programs like Lamar count as D-I but they themselves are not eligible for the playoffs until their second year.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Just heard from the Southland Conference contact Todd Lamb regarding the subject of Lamar....

Tom Burnett said there is no official minimum number for the playoffs. The committee gives priority to teams with seven or more wins against Division I competition. With that said, Lamar will be non-Division I in 2010 and will become a full member in Division I FCS in 2011.

We knew about the number of wins for the playoffs. The seven wins has obviously been the "ticket" in.

The most important of this all is that Lamar will be a non-Division I entity in 2010 per Burnett.

It could be that first-year programs like Lamar count as D-I but they themselves are not eligible for the playoffs until their second year.

No one seems to have a definitive answer! Lamar and SLC were consistent. Dave Coulson said another thing. Just confused! Going with Lamar, SLC...

Tough three games to start the new Fritz era ... as matter of fact it will be a tough with no locks on the slate outside of September 25th.

Fritz is at SHSU - not SFA! ;)

Sly Fox
December 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Whoops! Groggy morning for me I guess.

DetroitFlyer
December 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah, we certainly would not ever want to give a Division II, III or NAIA team a chance to "play up". Because we all know that FCS teams are just in it for the money so we gladly whore ourselves out to FBS programs that want an easy win.... Yep, sure glad to see that going on.... Hopefully, the entire FCS Division follows suit, then we will all be really good to go....xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM

Has the fact that Southern pulled out been confirmed. I know I'm the one that may have started the talk because I heard Carlos Brown of the Jaguar Journal say on 1210 Baton Rouge that the Southern/McNeese game is off then posted that I'd heard that report on the McNeese Delphi board. But I've been waiting to see "official" confirmation and haven't seen it.

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, we certainly would not ever want to give a Division II, III or NAIA team a chance to "play up". Because we all know that FCS teams are just in it for the money so we gladly whore ourselves out to FBS programs that want an easy win.... Yep, sure glad to see that going on.... Hopefully, the entire FCS Division follows suit, then we will all be really good to go....xrolleyesx

The issue is in the past that the SLC teams would schedule themselves out of the playoffs before it began.

I know the playoff issue does not resonate with you, but for SLC teams who have schedule all sub-Div II or FBS schedules in out of conference play, it stinks. It really does the team(s) no good in their quest for an at-large.

JohnStOnge
December 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
In our case, McNeese has games with LSU and Missouri, as well as Lamar, so realistically,we pretty much have to win conference to make the playoffs. Its a reloading year anyway, so the playoff angle may be a moot point.;)

I think that if McNeese can come up with someone who can perform at a decent level at the QB position the Cowboys could be substantially better next year than they were this year. It was a very young team. Losing Todd Pendland is big but they had two very good freshman running backs that each averaged 6 yards per carry. They had one senior on the two deep depth chart on defense. They started three freshmen and two sophomores in the secondary. They had one senior on the two deep on the offensive line. All three wide receiver starters were seniors but they had a lot of good underclassmen who performed well.

I think that THIS year was a year in which McNeese kind of achieved more than was expected because they had a very young team with few returning starters. I think that ff they find a quarterback next year they could be very good. That's big "if" but you never know. They could come up with somebody.

UNI Pike
December 22nd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know if the UNI game is a home and home or a one off deal? I want an excuse for good BBQ - CA BBQ sucks.