PDA

View Full Version : Past 10 years

appstate38
December 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Just thinking about the past 10 years of FCS football... Thought I would come up with some possible awards over this span. 2000-2009

Conference of the decade: CAA(4 different Nat. Champs) SoCon (4 Championships with 2 teams)

Team of the Decade: Montana( Wins, Championship appearances) Apps( 3 titles)

Player of the Decade: AE, Santos, Hudgins

Home field advantage: #1 Wash/Griz, #2 The Rock, In the mix-UNI dome, Paulson

Coach of the Decade: Hauck, Moore

Best games: Ga. Southern Montana; Montana/Apps both 2000&2009, Apps/JMU 2007&2008, Sure this list will get longer.

Hopefully this is a good start!

WrenFGun
December 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't put Hudgins on Santos level [nor would I put Santos on Armanti's level] (though certainly in the second tier with David Ball, among others)..

Don't disagree with much though the best game I've seen was the 'Nova Hail Mary loss to JMU last year.

bcrawf
December 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I would nominate UNI over New Hampshire in the first round in 07.

Probably the best game I have seen in person. Back and Forth. Ending with The Catch...

Interesting Fact- Montari Leonard, who made The Catch, left the program early in the next season and The Catch was, in fact, his last catch...

bostonspider
December 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
For me the best game was UNI-UR 2008. Though really it was just the spectactular 4th quarter....

WyomingGrizFan
December 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
The biggest comeback in FCS Playoff history? 27 points down to South Dakota St and Montana wins in the First Round, 61 - 48; maybe it's just because it's still fresh in my memory.

bcrawf
December 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
For me the best game was UNI-UR 2008. Though really it was just the spectactular 4th quarter....

I was getting close to over that. Thanks!xbawlingxxbawlingx

WrenFGun
December 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
I would nominate UNI over New Hampshire in the first round in 07.

Probably the best game I have seen in person. Back and Forth. Ending with The Catch...

Interesting Fact- Montari Leonard, who made The Catch, left the program early in the next season and The Catch was, in fact, his last catch...

Argh.

JmuSkinsfan
December 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'd add JMU to the homefield advantage category with Montana, UNI and ASU

Also, JMU's greatest game has to be the '04 title game over Montana for the championship ... but any of the comebacks from 2008 (ASU after being down 21 at half, UR on the last second punt return by Scotty, Hail Mary win over 'Nova as time expired)

Teams of the decade (in order): 1. ASU, 2. Montana, t3. UR, t3. UD, t3. JMU, 6. UNI

UNH Fanboi
December 22nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
I wouldn't put Hudgins on Santos level [nor would I put Santos on Armanti's level] (though certainly in the second tier with David Ball, among others)..

Don't disagree with much though the best game I've seen was the 'Nova Hail Mary loss to JMU last year.

I think it's fair to put Santos on Armanti's level. Statistically they match up very evenly:

Armanti Edwards
Passing Yards - 10,392
Passing TDs - 74
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 65%
Rushing Yards - 4,361
Rushing TDs - 64
Total Yards - 14,753
Total TDs - 138

Ricky Santos
Passing Yards 13,165
Passing TDs - 123
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 68.5%
Rushing Yards - 1,516
Rushing TDs - 30
Total Yards - 14,681
Total TDs - 153

You could argue that number of championships and certain intangibles favor Armanti, but he did have the benefit of playing for a better team.

TokyoGriz
December 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Id really put Appalachian State and Montana as a Draw on team of the decade. Most NC wins versus best overall perfermance. Guess it depends which you value most think both are good. As a fan you really want the NC, but in truth the strength of the program comes from the overall wins, playoff appearances and wins. Hence the draw.

appmaj
December 22nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I think it's fair to put Santos on Armanti's level. Statistically they match up very evenly:

Armanti Edwards
Passing Yards - 10,392
Passing TDs - 74
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 65%
Rushing Yards - 4,361
Rushing TDs - 64
Total Yards - 14,753
Total TDs - 138

Ricky Santos
Passing Yards 13,165
Passing TDs - 123
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 68.5%
Rushing Yards - 1,516
Rushing TDs - 30
Total Yards - 14,681
Total TDs - 153

You could argue that number of championships and certain intangibles favor Armanti, but he did have the benefit of playing for a better team.

xreadx

HenZoneNation
December 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'd add JMU to the homefield advantage category with Montana, UNI and ASU

Also, JMU's greatest game has to be the '04 title game over Montana for the championship ... but any of the comebacks from 2008 (ASU after being down 21 at half, UR on the last second punt return by Scotty, Hail Mary win over 'Nova as time expired)

Teams of the decade (in order): 1. ASU, 2. Montana, t3. UR, t3. UD, t3. JMU, 6. UNI

According to Eric Ward, the Tub was the toughest CAA stadium to play in...add UD to the list.

UNHFan99
December 22nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Montana is. UNH has played at all of them except the Rock. Talking to players they say there was nothing like montana. We have never been taken out our element like we were in Montana. That season also includes a win at #1 Delaware a borderline ranked Rutgers team with a pretty good crowd after their win against mich state and a road playoff win at Georgia Southern.

Montana was on a different level in terms of noise,

Delaware's atmosphere is similar but the noise is a different notch at montana. and Georgia Southern was dissappointing due to the rain and no fans showing up.

ur2k
December 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Another nomination for best game is 5OT thriller between Richmond and the Hens - 2007.

Richmond had some great games - 2009 v App (ugh), 2008 v UNI (the drive), 2008 v JMU (ugh)

mcveyrl
December 22nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Another nomination for best game is 5OT thriller between Richmond and the Hens - 2007.
Richmond had some great games - 2009 v App (ugh), 2008 v UNI (the drive), 2008 v JMU (ugh)

That was a GREAT game. I was going to the JMU@W&M game and started to lose the radio signal near the 3rd or 4th OT. I was going nuts.

OhioHen
December 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Most dominating performance: Delaware's 2003 playoff run. Beat 4 conference champs (2 were co-champs of the same conference) by a combined 149-23 including the only shutout and biggest victory margin in championship game history.

Honorable mention - Montana defense creating 10 turnovers against SFA this year.

JMUNJ08
December 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Armanti Edwards
Passing Yards - 10,392
Passing TDs - 74
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 65%
Rushing Yards - 4,361
Rushing TDs - 64
Total Yards - 14,753
Total TDs - 138

Ricky Santos
Passing Yards 13,165
Passing TDs - 123
INTs - 33
Comp. % - 68.5%
Rushing Yards - 1,516
Rushing TDs - 30
Total Yards - 14,681
Total TDs - 153

xreadx

You can highlight what you want to see....The total yards are what is surprisingly close...

JMUNJ08
December 22nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
My nominations from JMU:

JMU over UD in 2004 (last minute fg that barely made it over '03 champ)
JMU over App St in 2008 (comeback from 21-0 down at half to win vs 3-peat champ)
JMU over UR in 2008 (down 11 late in 4th to win on a punt return)
JMU over Nova in 2008 (Hail Mary to win the game)
Y St. over JMU in 2006 (1st round - JMU fell asleep in the 4th and blew a big lead on the road)
App St. over JMU in 2007 (1st round - fumble inside the 10 with under 10 seconds left when we needed a FG)

I can't think of anymore but thats a start...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I think App. State is the team of the decade. App. has 18 playoff wins in the 00s and 3 NCs. Montana has 19 playoff wins and 1 NC.

Comparing Montana and App in the 2000s is like comparing GSU and Eastern Kentucky in the 1980s. While EKU was solid the whole decade and GSU didn't win the first title until 1985, GSU was still clearly the better team for the overall decade.

Poker Alan
December 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
I think App. State is the team of the decade. App. has 18 playoff wins in the 00s and 3 NCs. Montana has 19 playoff wins and 1 NC.

Comparing Montana and App in the 2000s is like comparing GSU and Eastern Kentucky in the 1980s. While EKU was solid the whole decade and GSU didn't win the first title until 1985, GSU was still clearly the better team for the overall decade.

Agreed, although if Montana had won the other day, I think that this conversation would be MUCH more interesting... and MAY have tilted the decade in Montana's favor... I had this conversation with many people before the NC, and at that moment, it was virtually unanimous that App. St. was the team of the decade, but with the wins, playoff appearances, and adding a book-end championship to close out the decade, it would have been hard to argue against Montana at that point.

elon77
December 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
How about the best program turn around in the last 10 years. I know there are some good ones out there, but I think Elon should at least be mentioned in this category. They did have a couple of good years when they first went D1AA, but there were a bunch of years in between that they really sucked. Who else in the last 10 years have made a complete turn around in their program?xconfusedx

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Agreed with ASU, Montana 1-2 and the gap to #3 is fairly large. Let's just give it to the entire CAA (it is a joke before this turns into a conference showdown).

As for game of the decade I'd have to nominate the 2005 semi-final ASU vs. Furman, unless of course FBS games are counted then I think everyone knows where this is going, no not UNH vs. Ball State. The 4th quarter of ASU/Furman was insane.

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
How about the best program turn around in the last 10 years. I know there are some good ones out there, but I think Elon should at least be mentioned in this category. They did have a couple of good years when they first went D1AA, but there were a bunch of years in between that they really sucked. Who else in the last 10 years have made a complete turn around in their program?xconfusedx

Richmond from the early 2000's to late 2000's comes to mind.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Just thinking about the past 10 years of FCS football... Thought I would come up with some possible awards over this span. 2000-2009

Conference of the decade: CAA(4 different Nat. Champs) SoCon (4 Championships with 2 teams)

Team of the Decade: Montana( Wins, Championship appearances) Apps( 3 titles)

Player of the Decade: AE, Santos, Hudgins

Home field advantage: #1 Wash/Griz, #2 The Rock, In the mix-UNI dome, Paulson

Coach of the Decade: Hauck, Moore

Best games: Ga. Southern Montana; Montana/Apps both 2000&2009, Apps/JMU 2007&2008, Sure this list will get longer.

Hopefully this is a good start!

I'd call that the best "program" of the decade. I'd leave the "teams" to just be individual years.

If we're just talking about the best team from any given year I'd go, in order from the top:

2003 UD
2000 GSU
2006 Appy St
and a real odd one ... 2003 Wofford - that team was real good, just got unlucky on who they had to play

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Richmond from the early 2000's to late 2000's comes to mind.

Nah, Richmond was good at the end of the 90's and they were conference champs and made it to the quarters in 2000. They may have fell off the radar a bit after that, but once Clawson got there in '04 they started to return to where they had been.

ur2k
December 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Nah, Richmond was good at the end of the 90's and they were conference champs and made it to the quarters in 2000. They may have fell off the radar a bit after that, but once Clawson got there in '04 they started to return to where they had been.

I think our 'turnaround' came from being a team that had one or two good years here and there to actually having a program now.

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
I think our 'turnaround' came from being a team that had one or two good years here and there to actually having a program now.

Eh, time will tell about that. Ward's graduated and now most of the guys Clawson brought in are gone. How good of a program Richmond has become will be telling over the next 2-3 years. Having the on-campus stadium should help, but Clawson really left the Richmond program in great shape and London did a good job and reaped a lot of the benefits.

jcmanson
December 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM

Liberty

We were 21-48 from 2000-'05; 32-11 from '06-'09 with 3 conference championships.

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I nominate Western Illinois - Colgate 2003 as one of the Games of the Decade.

UNHFootballAlum
December 22nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
According to Eric Ward, the Tub was the toughest CAA stadium to play in...add UD to the list.

UNH doesn't think that the tub is the toughest place to play

UNHFootballAlum
December 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

I would look at UNH for best turnaround program. Since 2004 6 straight playoff appearances

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
UNH doesn't think that the tub is the toughest place to play

And oddly, UD doesn't think playing at Cowell Stadium is hard either - odd series. xnodx

GannonFan
December 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I would look at UNH for best turnaround program. Since 2004 6 straight playoff appearances

I agree with that. xnodx

SalukiJim
December 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Here's a nominee for turnaround program. How about a program that had 2 winning seasons in 19 years (1984-2002), and then has 7 straight playoff appearances? xthumbsupx Coach Kill (and now Coach Lennon) really turned SIU from a dead program to one where we really look forward to each new season.

I remember my senior year, SIU was lucky to get 500 people to show up. Of course, way back in the dark ages xsmiley_wix we didn't have that many people on the planet yet...

GoneTribal
December 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
this thread should be titled "Nominate my school for something cause I'm a homer" xlolxxlolx

App & Montana are clearly the best two programs of the decade.

ElonPride
December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't put Hudgins on Santos level

Sure. The guy only broke 10 NCAA records and was an all american all four years.xrolleyesx