PDA

View Full Version : Who is that Szcur or whatever?

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Heck of a ball player he basically led Villy to this win. He took snaps at QB, HB, and WR. He also played special teams, unbelievable. Apparently he also is a great baseball player AND gave his bone marrow to some 1 year old girl who was basically dying. Is this dude Superman or something? I thought Mariania was a great, explosive player after that first half he put Mariania to shame. And I know, I probably am not spelling either one of the names right.

Anyways, 'Grats Nova!

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Heck of a ball player he basically led Villy to this win. He took snaps at QB, HB, and WR. He also played special teams, unbelievable. Apparently he also is a great baseball player AND gave his bone marrow to some 1 year old girl who was basically dying. Is this dude Superman or something? I thought Mariania was a great, explosive player after that first half he put Mariania to shame. And I know, I probably am not spelling either one of the names right.

Anyways, 'Grats Nova!

Not yet...is giving on Jan 4.

It was determined back in mid Nov that he was a match for this girl. He was ready and willing to donate in what is, (from what I know), a very painful proceedure.

Evidently they (Doctors) felt that there was no immediate danger to the girl, so it was planned for early Jan.

jmu007
December 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Where have you all been?? Only the CAA Offensive Player of the Year. I still think it's complete BS he got so few votes in the Payton voting. Shows just how little these, "experts," actually follow things.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Well, I think God just decided to shine on that kid.

UNHWildCats
December 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Not yet...is giving on Jan 4.

It was determined back in mid Nov that he was a match for this girl. He was ready and willing to donate in what is, (from what I know), a very painful proceedure.

Evidently they (Doctors) felt that there was no immediate danger to the girl, so it was planned for early Jan.
generally the only pain someone donating feels is what equates to a backache. When the marrow is being taken the donator is under general anesthesia.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Well, hopefully this treatment wont affect his baseball.

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Well, I think God just decided to shine on that kid.

xnodx

tribe_pride
December 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Those of us that have had teams play against Nova know that he is an awesome overall athlete, a great player and apparently a better person.

I just think has athletic ability is being wasted in football and he should leave 1 year early to play baseball ;)

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Those of us in the CAA know that he has killed us and is a great player.

I just think has athletic ability is being wasted in football and he should leave 1 year early to play baseball ;)lol

ur2k
December 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
He's awesome. I've had a football man-crush on him for the last 2 years. He does everything.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
He's awesome. I've had a football man-crush on him for the last 2 years. He does everything.Got that right he's the most exciting FCS player I watched this year aside of Armanti ;)

blukeys
December 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Where have you all been?? Only the CAA Offensive Player of the Year. I still think it's complete BS he got so few votes in the Payton voting. Shows just how little these, "experts," actually follow things.

Payton voting is a joke. Midwest voters in particular throw all their votes to the hometown boys. Remember, Joe Flacco was not even in the Payton vote of 2007 Erik Saunders AKA Clay Aiken finished 2nd in the voting. The Midwest "experts" think the dominance of the CAA is due to East Coast Bias and not the players. They unite behind a player no matter how overrated.

LacesOut
December 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Outstanding football player, that kid.

Dallas Demon
December 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The kid was simply unbelievable. xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
December 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Got that right he's the most exciting FCS player I watched this year aside of Armanti ;)

Armanti? Who is that Armanti or whatever? I just heard he was a decent player for the last four years. Anyone have any details?

BarefootApp
December 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Best of luck to him and the little girl. I wish I could have seen him play more often this year.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The great thing about the bone marrow thing, is that when Szczur found out he matched the girl, he immediately said he'd do it, knowing that there was a good chance that he'd have to miss the whole playoffs for it. I forget the exact quote, but he said something like, "winning football games can be great, but it will never match the feeling of being able to save a person's life." He is a great person and a great athlete (his batting average in his senior year in high school was .681). I still think he has a better chance of making it in the NFL than the MLB, but he should do what he wants to do.

By the way for all those who saw his performance yesterday, he's really been doing that all season - just has never gotten a whole lot of attention from non-CAA people.

wr70beh
December 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I kept yelling "Get #4" when they played UR here earlier this year. He's a scary good player.

Not only CAA offensive player of the year, but special teams player of the year as well. He can make plays on special teams with the best of them. I'd like to see him go in the minors next year, too. :D

mlbowl
December 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I thought Mariania was a great, explosive player after that first half he put Mariania to shame.

Poor choice of words...Marc Mariani is without shame...you will be missed #80!!!xbawlingx

Congrats to Nova on an OUTSTANDING performance...already looking forward to next season...GO GRIZ!!!

URMite
December 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Got that right he's the most exciting FCS player I watched this year aside of Armanti ;)

That's why, even though there weren't any possible bad combinations from the last 4 teams, I thought that an ASU - VU final would be the most exciting. (The two most versatile teams in FCS this year)

I still remember the UR crowd talking about how great a player Szcur was before the game, I had to go into Shakespeare mode and told them "What's wrong with you people, we come to bury Szcur not to praise him." xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Best of luck to him and the little girl. I wish I could have seen him play more often this year.

Funny, I wish I'd seen less of himxrolleyesx

Great, great player...I wish him all the luck in the world

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
The speed he has after catching the ball reminds me of Wes Welker, does anyone here think that he could make it in the NFL?( probally more fit for CFL style of game) if pro baseball doesn't work out

phoenixphanatic21
December 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
What blows my mind is that he won't even come back for his senior year for football. He's a monster in football and he's even better at baseball? Holy crap! What position does he play anyway?

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What blows my mind is that he won't even come back for his senior year for football. He's a monster in football and he's even better at baseball? Holy crap! What position does he play anyway?

Was a catcher in HS... but has been and will be an OF

There's an annual HS all star game played at Shea stadium(or was anyway) every year. He hit a HR out of the stadium in that game....only HS player in the history of that game to do so.

phoenixphanatic21
December 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Was a catcher in HS... but has been and will be an OF

Thanks. Best of luck to him in the majors. Hopefully my Dodgers will draft him again. By the way, love the signature. I couldn't agree with it more.

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks. Best of luck to him in the majors. Hopefully my Dodgers will draft him again. By the way, love the signature. I couldn't agree with it more.

Aint it the truth!:D

I added that after the 4 OT loss to UMass in '07. I think that game was our best shot of making the playoffs that year.:(

Umass74
December 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I wish God could have given me just a little of his athletic ability. :D

SpeedkingATL
December 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
One of the best players and performances I've seen this year. One man wrecking crew.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
#4 Wow, and hopefully he gets drafted high in MLB and forgoes his senior season, How come I am thinking a Lenny Dykstra type of player?

GannonFan
December 19th, 2009, 09:17 PM
The speed he has after catching the ball reminds me of Wes Welker, does anyone here think that he could make it in the NFL?( probally more fit for CFL style of game) if pro baseball doesn't work out

The thing is, the bulk of his contributions and talent come when he's not playing WR. He's a fantastic player, but he's at his best when he's running out of the wildcat-type package or on special teams. It'll be hard to make it in the NFL with that in mind - much better WR's than him out of the CAA couldn't make it in the NFL.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm not so sure about that considering the increasing popularity in the wildcat in the NFL. He probably wouldn't be a good true wide receiver, but I think he'd make a great kick returner in the NFL, and I also think that he'd have some success running out of the wildcat in the NFL. Could be a useful player for the miami dolphins :-P

GannonFan
December 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm not so sure about that considering the increasing popularity in the wildcat in the NFL. He probably wouldn't be a good true wide receiver, but I think he'd make a great kick returner in the NFL, and I also think that he'd have some success running out of the wildcat in the NFL. Could be a useful player for the miami dolphins :-P

Well, the Dolphins are really the only team that regularly runs the wildcat in the NFL, and they already have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams to run it. Not to mention having Pat White off the bench to do so as well.

If Szczur's going to make the NFL, he'll have to do it as a WR who can excel at special teams (not just returns). I think he has the special teams portion down pat, it's just whether he's a good enough WR to be worth carrying on a roster - right now, based on what the NFL does, that doesn't seem likely.

Husky4Life
December 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I remember playing against another WR/RB for Villanova back in the day.... This seems to be a Wildcat forte. That other guy ended up playing in the league for a few years.

charliej
December 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Well, the Dolphins are really the only team that regularly runs the wildcat in the NFL, and they already have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams to run it. Not to mention having Pat White off the bench to do so as well.

If Szczur's going to make the NFL, he'll have to do it as a WR who can excel at special teams (not just returns). I think he has the special teams portion down pat, it's just whether he's a good enough WR to be worth carrying on a roster - right now, based on what the NFL does, that doesn't seem likely.

One of the rare times I agree with you GF, somewhat. xsmiley_wix

Would have to be a team with room for a WR and a real NEED for a return\ utility player.

Not to say he couldn't make it. IMO he is good enough at the WR position.(I think he can do anything he sets his mind to if given the chance). It would however, be a hard sell.

VUCats02
December 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah GannonFan...I was being more sarcastic than serious :-P

MightyMightyGriz
December 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
He's awesome. I've had a football man-crush on him for the last 2 years. He does everything.

"FOOTBALL MAN-CRUSH". I thought I had heard everything. He is a damn good player but a crush. WOW! xlolx

GannonFan
December 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I remember playing against another WR/RB for Villanova back in the day.... This seems to be a Wildcat forte. That other guy ended up playing in the league for a few years.

Szczur is no Westbrook, if that's what you're implying. Especially as their skills translate to the NFL. How many more Payton Awards would Westbrook have won if he played behind the current nova OL?

headdressguy
December 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
He probably would have ended up with three. And AE would have graduated with two Westbrook Awards.

Szczur is no Westbrook, if that's what you're implying. Especially as their skills translate to the NFL. How many more Payton Awards would Westbrook have won if he played behind the current nova OL?