PDA

View Full Version : Only one loss--New Hampshire!

Wildcat80
December 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Not montana....not w&m.....not delaware.....not richmond......not penn.....not jmu.....not temple....ONLY the University of New Hampshire defeated the national champions in 2009!!!! We are close with most of our starters returning. Time to breakout in 2010. Just Do It Wildcats! xthumbsupx

kdinva
December 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My turn;)...........before their playoff game w/App. St., who scored the most points against UR?........that's right, 2-9 VMI (28).xrulesx

Yeah, our season stunkxsmhx. We blew games with Gard-Webb, Stony Brook, CCU, Army, CSU, ODU.......we lose good offensive players in Hughes, Maypray, Abegesah, Zach Collins, but we have good, young offensive talent coming back, and don't be surprised (;)) if Sparky Woods adjusts the offense to those kids' skills. Also 10 defensive starters slated to come back (19 total off of the two deep).

DSUrocks07
December 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Not montana....not w&m.....not delaware.....not richmond......not penn.....not jmu.....not temple....ONLY the University of New Hampshire defeated the national champions in 2009!!!! We are close with most of our starters returning. Time to breakout in 2010. Just Do It Wildcats! xthumbsupx

Does this mean that UMass is in the national title picture? xrulesx

Sam Minuteman
December 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well the Umass AD was holding the 2009 FCS championship award on ESPN last night!

UNH Fanboi
December 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Does this mean that UMass is in the national title picture? xrulesx

They picked up some really good players from Northeastern. They could be pretty good next year.

LacesOut
December 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
CAA North, it's your turn!!

89Hen
December 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
CAA North, it's your turn!!
We're running out of teams in the South. W&M next year? xthumbsupx

89Hen
December 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
FWIW, Northeastern returned most of their team that handed the Hens their only loss in 2003. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

smcwildcat
December 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
how the hell is the sched gonna work its way out next year?
I know ads are meeting on the 20th but everyones playing everyone right?
and rumor is UNH just got a pk for next year to replace manning a kid from local winnacunnit who is going to come in this spring bc he prepped at phillips exeter

UNH Fanboi
December 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
how the hell is the sched gonna work its way out next year?
I know ads are meeting on the 20th but everyones playing everyone right?
and rumor is UNH just got a pk for next year to replace manning a kid from local winnacunnit who is going to come in this spring bc he prepped at phillips exeter

Everyone is playing 8 teams and dodging 1. Send a Christmas present to Tom Yeager and kindly suggest that UNH doesn't play W&M next year.

paward
December 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
For beating Nova you get the same thing we get for playing in the quarterfinals. Heck you get the same thing your cousin got when she was in your sister's wedding, you get to keep the ugly bride's maid puck green dress that you paid for.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
For beating Nova you get the same thing we get for playing in the quarterfinals. Heck you get the same thing your cousin got when she was in your sister's wedding, you get to keep the ugly bride's maid puck green dress that you paid for.

Umm, pucks are blackxrulesx

TheValleyRaider
December 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
We're running out of teams in the South. W&M next year? xthumbsupx

TOWSON WILL WIN OVER ALL!!1!!!!11!!!!1

xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
December 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The only thing this thread is good for is making UNH look like complacent morons or just, well, morons.

rcny46
December 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
They picked up some really good players from Northeastern. They could be pretty good next year.

They didn't really do very much for the Huskies this year.

Wildcat80
December 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The only thing this thread is good for is making UNH look like complacent morons or just, well, morons.

speak for yourself......no complacency here when it comes to UNH football....just a firm desire to get better!!!xbowx

NHwildEcat
December 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM

And in the rematch we got smoked...that sounds like a step away to me.

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM

For beating Nova the UNH win gets a big asterick on the otherwise perfect season for Nova. Years later when this Championship team are a bunch of silvertops looking back. They will remember that game in Durham just as much as the title game xnodx

paward
December 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
For beating Nova the UNH win gets a big asterick on the otherwise perfect season for Nova. Years later when this Championship team are a bunch of silvertops looking back. They will remember that game in Durham just as much as the title game xnodx

Take it from a team that knows! You occasionally think of that lost in a way of it turning your season around. We lost to JMU on a McGee punt return last year. That was the point we redefined our season. It is not looked at as a mark but a bonus. Your second game will provide more memories than the first.

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
They didn't really do very much for the Huskies this year.

Leading the CAA in rushing isn't doing anything?

BDKJMU
December 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM

According to the UNH 2 deep game notes from the W&M game, 11 of the 22 UNH starters were seniors. Even if that is off a little, most of your starters don't return.

Husky4Life
December 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
FWIW, Northeastern returned most of their team that handed the Hens their only loss in 2003. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

That is not true. The coach left, and was replaced with a mongoloid. Not to mention the loss of 2 very good RBs and key defenders.

Wildcat80
December 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
According to the UNH 2 deep game notes from the W&M game, 11 of the 22 UNH starters were seniors. Even if that is off a little, most of your starters don't return.

Glad jmu is paying attention....1st UNH does a terrible job actually (not) updating these each week, 2nd with injuries & able subs etc I recounted and IMO we have at least 13 "starters" returning before the possibility of any seniors back for a 5th year. These 13 do not count any players that made a ton of plays for us at the end of the year either-who were nonstarters this year. Each of the past years UNH has redshirted our entire freshmen class too. IMO--13-- is ALOT of returners! Bottom line--UNH will be back in 2010!! xnodxxnodxxnodx

UNH Fanboi
December 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Glad jmu is paying attention....1st UNH does a terrible job actually (not) updating these each week, 2nd with injuries & able subs etc I recounted and IMO we have at least 13 "starters" returning before the possibility of any seniors back for a 5th year. These 13 do not count any players that made a ton of plays for us at the end of the year either-who were nonstarters this year. Each of the past years UNH has redshirted our entire freshmen class too. IMO--13-- is ALOT of returners! Bottom line--UNH will be back in 2010!! xnodxxnodxxnodx

We'll see. Our schedule is going to be much tougher next year, so we're gonna have to be more than just "back" next year.

Zangzigger
December 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
It seems like UNH is always up there in the polls but can never get to Chattanooga.

UNH Fanboi
December 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
It seems like UNH is always up there in the polls but can never get to Chattanooga.

The only year in which UNH really underperformed in the playoffs with respect to their spot polls was in 2005 when they lost to UNI 24-21 in the quarters despite out-gaining them 631 to 351 xnonono2x. I think they really were the best team in the country that year (though I'm sure many will disagree with that). Santos' numbers were sick that year:

Passing - 301/429 (70.2%), 3797 yds, 39 TDs, 9 INTs
Rushing - 119 carries, 505 yds, 8 TDs

Wildcat80
December 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
The only year in which UNH really underperformed in the playoffs with respect to their spot polls was in 2005 when they lost to UNI 24-21 in the quarters despite out-gaining them 631 to 351 xnonono2x. I think they really were the best team in the country that year (though I'm sure many will disagree with that). Santos' numbers were sick that year:

Passing - 301/429 (70.2%), 3797 yds, 39 TDs, 9 INTs
Rushing - 119 carries, 505 yds, 8 TDs

Ditto. This year UNH overperformed to get to the quarterfinals. Our time is coming. We keep knocking on the door--one year it will open. Who else has been as consistent as UNH? Very, very few teams. Work hard, get faster, recruit gamebreakers---UNH will be there. :D:D:D

BDKJMU
December 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
We'll see. Our schedule is going to be much tougher next year, so we're gonna have to be more than just "back" next year.

Yep. UNH no longer has the benefit of playing in the CAA South vs North the last 6 years:
04': 11-8 (UNH beat UD in a non conference game)
05': 8-10
06': 8-10
07': 11-7
08': 14-4
09': 14-4
66-43

In those 6 seasons (04-09') UNH is vs the CAA South:
W&M: 0-4
JMU: 0-2
UR: 1-1
Nova 3-2
UD: 3-0
TU: 4-0

Thats 11-9, 4 and 9 against the top 4 teams from the South this past season.

-UNH doesn't get the benefit of playing in the North anymore, as it will now be just one big divisionless CAA.

-Lose 11 of 22 starters (according to the game notes from the 2 deep from the Nova playoff game).

-Don't have a weak I-A next year with Pitt, so the streak of I-A wins is highly likely to come to an end.

I don't do pre season predictions. The CAA won't get more than 4 teams in. Getting 5 of 10 would be the same as 6 of 12. Half the conference ain't happening, even with an expanded field. UNH will probably around 50/50 to make the playoffs. As will JMU. As will be Maine. As will be W&M. Nova and UD higher than that. About the only prediction I'll do- it will be 4 of those 6. We'll just have to wait and see. A lot will depend on the CAA schedule- who gets to miss playing whom, who gets whom at home and on the road. Also who suffers any offseason losses which can be for a myriad of reasons (academics, legal, personal, medical, leaving to pursue an "acting career"xlolx, pro baseball (Sczur), etc.)

tribefan40
December 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yep. UNH no longer has the benefit of playing in the CAA South vs North the last 6 years:
04': 11-8 (UNH beat UD in a non conference game)
05': 8-10
06': 8-10
07': 11-7
08': 14-4
09': 14-4
66-43

In those 6 seasons (04-09') UNH is vs the CAA South:
W&M: 0-4
JMU: 0-2
UR: 1-1
Nova 3-2
UD: 3-0
TU: 4-0

Thats 11-9, 4 and 9 against the top 4 teams from the South this past season.

-UNH doesn't get the benefit of playing in the North anymore, as it will now be just one big divisionless CAA.

-Lose 11 of 22 starters (according to the game notes from the 2 deep from the Nova playoff game).

-Don't have a weak I-A next year with Pitt, so the streak of I-A wins is highly likely to come to an end.

I don't do pre season predictions. The CAA won't get more than 4 teams in. Getting 5 of 10 would be the same as 6 of 12. Half the conference ain't happening, even with an expanded field. UNH will probably around 50/50 to make the playoffs. As will JMU. As will be Maine. As will be W&M. Nova and UD higher than that. About the only prediction I'll do- it will be 4 of those 6. We'll just have to wait and see. A lot will depend on the CAA schedule- who gets to miss playing whom, who gets whom at home and on the road. Also who suffers any offseason losses which can be for a myriad of reasons (academics, legal, personal, medical, leaving to pursue an "acting career"xlolx, pro baseball (Sczur), etc.)

You Are NUTS if you think that W&M is 50/50 to get in next year. They are returning more than half of their starters including a handful of All-CAA performers. They will compete next year with everybody.

UNHFan
December 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I have monkey wrench for ya!! and its RJ Toman!! On the other hand he can only get better. He can not suck anymore then he does now. So I hope he really knows what he needs to work on this off season. OK Thats my last negative vibe/comment towards Toman. Cant wait for the Blue/White game already

JMUNJ08
December 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
You Are NUTS if you think that W&M is 50/50 to get in next year. They are returning more than half of their starters including a handful of All-CAA performers. They will compete next year with everybody.

Correct but the schedule will be a huge factor as there won't be much separating JMU, W&M, Maine & UNH. UD and Nova prob will get in but you cannot separate the other 4 at all right now. Don't forget about UR & UMASS either as they can throw a wrench into any of the other teams mentioned above and slip in themselves...

BDKJMU
December 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM

You are NUTS if you think its a lock or even highly likely that W&M gets in. It may still take 8-3 to get in. 7-4 will be very iffy, and thats assuming 7 Div I wins so UD and anyone else who plays a Div II will have to go 8-3 to get in). The CAA won't get half the league in. 4 teams. That means likely 6-2 in the CAA to get in. And for whatever teams don't get to play Towson or URI its going to be that much tougher.

BTW, when was the last time W&M made the playoffs in back to back years???

WrenFGun
December 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
I agree with the JMU poster that says UNH is basically an even bet for the playoffs next year. I think the offensive line will be better, but UNH loses the best TE in the FCS in Scotty Sicko. They return some OL starters but they lose Tom Neill and Dan Larkin. They've also lost Travis Negron, J.T. Wright and Chad Kackert. In fact, they have nothing behind Sean Jellison proven at tailback right now. Shawn Sweeney, Dontra Peters (converting to defense) and Chris Setian (RS FR) don't have much experience.

On Defense, UNH loses their best blitzer in Sean Ware, their heart and soul in Terrance Klein and a bunch of DL depth including the underrated Kyle Maroney, Kevin Peters and Jordan Long. We also lose starting CB Ryan Hinds.

If I had to guess next year..

QB R.J. Toman
RB Sean Jellison
OL Chris Zarkoskie, Seth Price, George Pecoraro, Isaiah Martin, Seamus O'Neill (still very green)
TE Chris Jeannot
WR Mickey Mangieri, Terrance Fox, Joey Orlando

DE Brian McNally, Randi Vines
DT Steve Young, John Murray
LB James Jenkins, Devon Jackson, Matt Evans
CB Dino Vasso, Kyle Flemings
S Ryan McGuiness, Hugo Souza

So that's 12 new starters that I count, though obviously Jellison, Flemings, Murray, Vines, Fox, Orlando, Mangieri and Jeannot have seen a fair amount of time. I'd be concerned about 2 new starters on the OL and a new LB/S.

UNH Fanboi
December 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
Next year is very hard to predict because of how brutal the schedule is going to be.

I think it's easy to overemphasize number of returning starters when making predictions. It's not uncommon for Freshmen and Sophomores who have never played before to have great seasons, and returning starters who were mediocre contunue to be mediocre.

I have no idea whether UNH or any other team has underclassmen who may break out next year, but it's something to keep in mind.

soccerguy315
December 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
UD and Nova prob will get in but you cannot separate the other 4 at all right now.

I would put Delaware behind Nova, JMU, and W&M in the playoff picture next year.

My early thoughts are Nova and W&M should be in. JMU should be in if they play the better QB. Then comes Delaware/UNH, then UR/UMass.

Anyway, I agree that scheduling can play a big part. Towson and URI are the only "auto wins" for the playoff bound teams (whichever teams it turns out those are), so missing one of those games will make the schedule much tougher.

paward
December 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
We are off topic but JMU, Delaware, W&M, NH will all be there. I expect great QB play out all those teams. Warning: Do not count UR out, we will be in the hunt as well.

BDKJMU
December 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I would put Delaware behind Nova, JMU, and W&M in the playoff picture next year.

My early thoughts are Nova and W&M should be in. JMU should be in if they play the better QB. Then comes Delaware/UNH, then UR/UMass.

Anyway, I agree that scheduling can play a big part. Towson and URI are the only "auto wins" for the playoff bound teams (whichever teams it turns out those are), so missing one of those games will make the schedule much tougher.

You named 7 teams and didn't mention Maine. I'm willing to bet they are one of the top 5 teams, and wouldn't be surprised to see them in the playoffs. Good chance they will be the top teams of the 4 northern. They beat UMass and lost @ UNH by 3 and have FAR more coming back than either one of them.

soccerguy315
December 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Then throw Maine in front of Delaware and UNH... I don't feel comfortable predicting Maine to finish very high. I feel like teams that finished ahead of them this year bring back enough to stay ahead of them next year. Maybe the Black Bears will prove me wrong though. I also wouldn't be surprised to see UR back in the playoffs.

I guess... really... the only teams that I would actually be surprised if they make the playoffs next year would be Towson and URI. Everyone else has a shot, IMO.

rcny46
December 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with the JMU poster that says UNH is basically an even bet for the playoffs next year. I think the offensive line will be better, but UNH loses the best TE in the FCS in Scotty Sicko. They return some OL starters but they lose Tom Neill and Dan Larkin. They've also lost Travis Negron, J.T. Wright and Chad Kackert. In fact, they have nothing behind Sean Jellison proven at tailback right now. Shawn Sweeney, Dontra Peters (converting to defense) and Chris Setian (RS FR) don't have much experience.

On Defense, UNH loses their best blitzer in Sean Ware, their heart and soul in Terrance Klein and a bunch of DL depth including the underrated Kyle Maroney, Kevin Peters and Jordan Long. We also lose starting CB Ryan Hinds.

If I had to guess next year..

QB R.J. Toman
RB Sean Jellison
OL Chris Zarkoskie, Seth Price, George Pecoraro, Isaiah Martin, Seamus O'Neill (still very green)
TE Chris Jeannot
WR Mickey Mangieri, Terrance Fox, Joey Orlando

DE Brian McNally, Randi Vines
DT Steve Young, John Murray
LB James Jenkins, Devon Jackson, Matt Evans
CB Dino Vasso, Kyle Flemings
S Ryan McGuiness, Hugo Souza

So that's 12 new starters that I count, though obviously Jellison, Flemings, Murray, Vines, Fox, Orlando, Mangieri and Jeannot have seen a fair amount of time. I'd be concerned about 2 new starters on the OL and a new LB/S.

Other names you might hear next year are DiLima,Colbert Jamerson,Muller,Houston,Asam,Schmalhofer, Beranger,Buzbee,and McCann.
Lots of quality,although not much experience.I also think that Chris Jeannot will turn out to be a very good TE.

Wildcat80
December 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Other names you might hear next year are DiLima,Colbert Jamerson,Muller,Houston,Asam,Schmalhofer, Beranger,Buzbee,and McCann.
Lots of quality,although not much experience.I also think that Chris Jeannot will turn out to be a very good TE.

Based on playing time &/or stats "I think" these guys had this year-- I'd consider our "experienced" returners to be:

QB-Toman, Decker
RB-Jellison, Peters
WR-Orlando, Greene, Mangieri, Mason +Fox?
TE-Jeannot
OL-DIlima, Mohr, Pecoraro, Price, Zarkoskie, Martin
DB-Vasso, Souza, Flemings, McGuinness
LB-Jackson, Buzbee, Greer, Duffey
DL-Young, McNally, Mailloux, Murray, Smith, Jenkins
P-Glasgow

Houston traveled so I'd expect him to be in the 2 deep along with some others coming off redshirt. Mccarthy at OL also got a little pt coming off his injury. We need another RB to play and we can also use a gamebreaker with speed. But that's a great core group returning. xsmileyclapx