PDA

View Full Version : Gardner Webb Football

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Discuss....

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
What you got on your mind concerning GWU? Alumni, parent of a potential recruit, current player parent, former player, give us something to work with here. What do you know about GWU and what would you like to know?

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Let's start with the basics and move on from there.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Who is he, anyway?

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Let's start with the basics and move on from there.

thats kinda broad, dont ya think? hahaxconfusedx

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
OK, the basics. GWU plays in the Big South winning the conf. titles the first two years in the league. Steve Patton Head Coach for the last 12-13 years. GWU recently has had a penchant for going 6-5 or 5-6 regardless of their schedule. Last season their 5-6 record included a very close loss to Ga. Tech 10-7, a BCS Bowl Team this season.

The Runnin Dawgs run the spread offense, were balanced between the run and the pass yardage wise this past season, run a 4-3 Def. w/ the weak side end in a stand up position.

They'll return around 15 starters including PK and P. Next season the Dawgs hit the road in OOC game against Sam Houston State, Akron and Old Dominion with OOC home games against Western Carolina and likely Brevard (season opener). Conference road games against Liberty, Stony Brook and CSU with home conf games against Coastal, PC and VMI.

GWU renovated and expanded their football facilities approximately 4 years ago and have a pretty nice football center. As for last season, the season turned on a tough loss to Stony Brook in Boiling Springs and was followed by two more straight losses to Coastal Carolina and Liberty. In each of those 3 conf. losses the Dawgs led in the 3rd qtr but couldn't close the games out.

The coaching staff will play freshman if they are the best talent at the position with several freshmen this season either starting or getting plenty of reps in the games. Roughly 10 freshman were redshirted this past season.

That's a start, hope it provides a bit of what you were interested in.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
OK, the basics. GWU plays in the Big South winning the conf. titles the first two years in the league. Steve Patton Head Coach for the last 12-13 years. GWU recently has had a penchant for going 6-5 or 5-6 regardless of their schedule. Last season their 5-6 record included a very close loss to Ga. Tech 10-7, a BCS Bowl Team this season.

The Runnin Dawgs run the spread offense, were balanced between the run and the pass yardage wise this past season, run a 4-3 Def. w/ the weak side end in a stand up position.

They'll return around 15 starters including PK and P. Next season the Dawgs hit the road in OOC game against Sam Houston State, Akron and Old Dominion with OOC home games against Western Carolina and likely Brevard (season opener). Conference road games against Liberty, Stony Brook and CSU with home conf games against Coastal, PC and VMI.

GWU renovated and expanded their football facilities approximately 4 years ago and have a pretty nice football center. As for last season, the season turned on a tough loss to Stony Brook in Boiling Springs and was followed by two more straight losses to Coastal Carolina and Liberty. In each of those 3 conf. losses the Dawgs led in the 3rd qtr but couldn't close the games out.

The coaching staff will play freshman if they are the best talent at the position with several freshmen this season either starting or getting plenty of reps in the games. Roughly 10 freshman were redshirted this past season.

That's a start, hope it provides a bit of what you were interested in.

Could we go to an even higher, 20,000 foot view?

What is the school's overall mission?

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
thats kinda broad, dont ya think? hahaxconfusedx

Assuredly

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I understood that he was asking about GWU Football. The school's mission, I presume like all others, develop and mold students to become contributors to society, duh huh. LOL

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Let's really get some back and forth here.....can I get some pros and cons about the program?

Jackman
December 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Why the "Running" Bulldogs? What exactly is the big hurry? Don't GW fans think that in light of today's economy, a more leisurely and cost-efficient ambling motion would be more appropriate?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Why the "Running" Bulldogs? What exactly is the big hurry? Don't GW fans think that in light of today's economy, a more leisurely and cost-efficient ambling motion would be more appropriate?

Great points. All Bulldogs I have met suffer from respiratory challenges. Do they have humidifiers in the locker room to soothe the burning lungs of the poor canines?

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Pros - Stable coaching staff, decent facilities, fun schemes on offense and defense allows players to make plays, Big South earns automatic FCS Playoff Bid starting in 2010, players are a pretty tightknit group

Cons - need to develop better consistency in the Win column, playing in a 7 team conference requires 5 OOC games which usually results in at least one scheduled D2 school, as I understand not yet funded for full 63 scholarships, home game attendance not bad but could be better, need to improve strength and conditioning, key players have been hit by injury the last two seasons

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
A lot of people have heard that Gardner Webb might get that Clemson QB transfer....Willie Korn.

Has anyone heard?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
A lot of people have heard that Gardner Webb might get that Clemson QB transfer....Willie Korn.

Has anyone heard?

State Line Liquors = Korn's dad. Shhh...

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Pros - Stable coaching staff, decent facilities, fun schemes on offense and defense allows players to make plays, Big South earns automatic FCS Playoff Bid starting in 2010, players are a pretty tightknit group

Cons - need to develop better consistency in the Win column, playing in a 7 team conference requires 5 OOC games which usually results in at least one scheduled D2 school, as I understand not yet funded for full 63 scholarships, home game attendance not bad but could be better, need to improve strength and conditioning, key players have been hit by injury the last two seasons

Are the rumors about Gardner Webb joining the CAA true?

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Doubt there's respiratory problems with these Runnin Bulldogs. For example, David Montgomery took it 100 yds to the house on the opening kick-off against Liberty and I didn't see him putting on the oxygen mask. Must be that clean Boiling Springs air.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Tell me about the programs long term goals and where they'd like to be in perhaps 10 to 15 years.

What's this Boiling Springs you speak of?

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Why certainly the rumours about GWU joining the CAA are true. Everyone's joining the CAA, there won't be a need for the NCAA after all FCS teams are in the CAA. As for Willie Korn coming to GWU, don't know but if he does I can hear the KornDawg jokes already.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Why certainly the rumours about GWU joining the CAA are true. Everyone's joining the CAA, there won't be a need for the NCAA after all FCS teams are in the CAA. As for Willie Korn coming to GWU, don't know but if he does I can hear the KornDawg jokes already.

Well, it kind of makes sense that Will Korn would fit in at Boiling Springs.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
How is the strength and conditioning program?

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Are the rumors about Gardner Webb joining the CAA true?

Based upon what I'm reading here, I think you may be on to something.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
What can we expect from GW this off season?

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
If the CAA does take them in, I wonder if the Big South would survive.

Stony Brook would probably have to make a move.

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Don't know how interested Korn may be in GWU or GWU in Korn. At least a couple of things though make it possible. Korn will be looking at a university vs college to go to grad school, he played at Byrnes HS in the spread and GWU runs the spread, GWU's QB, All Big South Stan Doolittle graduates so there is an open competition at QB with no returning QB having played a complete game at the collegiate level.

BigHouseClosedEnd
If the CAA does take them in, I wonder if the Big South would survive.

Stony Brook would probably have to make a move.

I would have to think that Jerry Falwell's money could keep the conference afloat for at least another decade.

ThompsonThe
What can we expect from GW this off season?

I have heard that they have a lot of good recruits, evidently verbally. They have been really tough the last few years. We all remember them almost beating Georgia Tech at Georgia Tech last year. Could probably become a powerhouse.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
When GW does join the CAA, it will be for mutual benefit of both the CAA and those in Boiling Springs.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Don't know how interested Korn may be in GWU or GWU in Korn. At least a couple of things though make it possible. Korn will be looking at a university vs college to go to grad school, he played at Byrnes HS in the spread and GWU runs the spread, GWU's QB, All Big South Stan Doolittle graduates so there is an open competition at QB with no returning QB having played a complete game at the collegiate level.

Can you maybe elaborate on the commitment that GW has toward investing in their program?

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I would have to think that Jerry Falwell's money could keep the conference afloat for at least another decade.

Isn't Liberty building a huge football stadium currently? If Gardner Webb jumps to the CAA, wonder if Liberty would even stay in the Big South?

Must be hard to beat Liberty, I guess, with "you know who" on your side.
GW move could really cause some changes.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
When GW does join the CAA, it will be for mutual benefit of both the CAA and those in Boiling Springs.

if they join the CAA, ill be going to watch games in Boiling Springs. so.....accurate postxthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Isn't Liberty building a huge football stadium currently? If Gardner Webb jumps to the CAA, wonder if Liberty would even stay in the Big South?

Must be hard to beat Liberty, I guess, with "you know who" on your side.
GW move could really cause some changes.

Are you suggesting the Gardner Webb move could be the spark that causes the 'powder keg' with conference reorganization to explode?

Most thought Notre Dame moving to a conference could start the domino effect...

Who knew if would start in the Big South?

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Are you suggesting the Gardner Webb move could be the spark that causes the 'powder keg' to explode?

Most thought Notre Dame moving to a conference could start the domino effect...

Who knew if would start in the Big South?

Those in Boiling Springs would probably prefer if you referred to it as a pot about to boil over.

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Based on reported funding, GWU ranks 2nd in the Big South in dollars spent on football but with that said, it was only 1/2 of what Liberty poured into their program. On the other hand, GWU was only a couple hundred K behind the funding at App. State so it certainly isn't all about the money. With today's economy, hard to see large scale funding increases over the roughly 2.9 mil spent in football. Most of the top tier CAA schools spend around 4 mil or so so I just don't see GWU in the near term increasing funding by 1 million on football. Of course that all can change if a really big donor brings his chips to the table.

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
So where are the rumours on GWU moving to the CAA coming from, most folks would think it's a bit far fetched. As for reorganization, it's coming and the CAA, SOCON, Big South, etc. will all certainly be impacted.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Why has your defense been so good the last few years?
Seems like GW always have a good D line and at least one stud D end.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Based on reported funding, GWU ranks 2nd in the Big South in dollars spent on football but with that said, it was only 1/2 of what Liberty poured into their program. On the other hand, GWU was only a couple hundred K behind the funding at App. State so it certainly isn't all about the money. With today's economy, hard to see large scale funding increases over the roughly 2.9 mil spent in football. Most of the top tier CAA schools spend around 4 mil or so so I just don't see GWU in the near term increasing funding by 1 million on football. Of course that all can change if a really big donor brings his chips to the table.

Sounds like GW really has their house in order. When can we expect the dollars to really start flowing in?

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Makes you wonder if Gardner Webb will be thinking of going FBS in a couple of years if they are doing this.
They are pretty close to Clemson and South Carolina, and GaTech isn't that far away.
Could always form a new FBS conference with UNCC.

oldsouthernman
December 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I would suspect that the only reason G-W would be close to App in football budget would be because of the cost of each scholly. Artis Gilmore played at G-W.

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I think the only question is really, 'How much does GW want it?'. All the pieces are there.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Gardner Webb beat Kentucky in basketball a couple of years ago.
Artis Gilmore did play for GW. They have a pretty storied bball tradition.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I think the only question is really, 'How much does GW want it?'. All the pieces are there.

That's true....

State Line Liquors
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Any truth to the rumor Jerry Tarkanian want's to coach the Running Bulldog basketball team?

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Tark the Shark, he really want's to but he'll have to chew on his towel a bit more before making up his mind. Bobby Knight's in the mix too you know.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Was that on CollegeSnoop? Didn't hear about Tark the Shark, I didn't even think he was still alive. Doubt GW would have any interest in him.

Here is the link for that site:
http://www.footballscoop.com/

Let me know if that is where you heard it.

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Here is a better link to a fairly current page:

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

clinchBoy
December 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Their football program is mediocre. It could be a hidden gem. Nice recruiting grounds and in a very weak league. The worst league in FCS outside of the non-schollie league. They need some new life in there that can provide some real leadership. The AD Chuck Birch is fine with being .500 is the problem. As long as they graduate kids and dont' bring kids in that embarrass the program then you can work there for a long time. So, you have a Head Coach in Steve Patton that is exactly what his record indicates. When you see 5-6, 5-6, 5-6, 6-5, 6-5, 5-6 all the time is tells me one very obvious thing, being very average or below is OK for this place. Take away the win vs sorry Southern Virginia and d2 Mars Hill then GW is 4-7 with a veteren group in a year that they were supposed to make their move. I am tired of hearing this talk of ALMOST beating G Tech 2 YEARS AGO! Guess what? You didn't. So, get off that, because its still an L in the Win Loss column. Just like losing to Coastal Carolina every single year because the Head man is outcoached. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Hopefully when Pattons contract runs out they tell him to hit the road. It's too bad that the program is not committed to winning the way they need to be, because if they were then they would not worry about finishing the contract and intstead buy his sorry butt out and quit with this mediocrity. But Paton will be back again....

Libertine
December 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Their football program is mediocre. It could be a hidden gem. Nice recruiting grounds and in a very weak league. The worst league in FCS outside of the non-schollie league.

The GPI says differently. For the last several years, the Big South has been rated higher than two autobid leagues -- namely the Patriot and the MEAC -- and, this year, also rated ahead of the the OVC as well.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66292

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
All I know is back in 2000 you guys came to Durham as a DII school. I went to that game laughing that it was going to be a scrimage for UNH and you guys beat us 38-35 and I had respect for GW ever since xnodx Good luck whatever the future holds, hope for a rematch some day xthumbsupx

GA St. MBB Fan
December 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
G-W in the CAA? Do they really fit the conference's profile? Aren't there other alternatives in the south - that fit the profile of the CAA a bit better?

kdinva
December 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Artis Gilmore did play for GW......
Gilmore played for Jacksonville U.

EagleDawg
December 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Gilmore finished his collegiate career at Jacksonville after completing two years at Gardner-Webb when GW was a junior college. Check out his bio, should have been around 1969 when he moved on to Jacksonville from GW.

ThompsonThe
December 20th, 2009, 03:11 PM
G-W in the CAA? Do they really fit the conference's profile? Aren't there other alternatives in the south - that fit the profile of the CAA a bit better?

If they are taking GaState.....then Gardner Webb should improve the CAA like crazy.

elcid83
December 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Boy, I go away for a couple of days and Gardner-Webb decides to leave the Big South to join the CAA. Nothing against the CAA, but, I don't see GW going anywhere anytime soon.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs070.snc3/13746_1186029204889_1053041569_30496060_3271078_n. jpg

GA St. MBB Fan
December 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
If they are taking GaState.....then Gardner Webb should improve the CAA like crazy.

The difference is that GaState is already in the CAA for all sports.

ThompsonThe
December 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The difference is that GaState is already in the CAA for all sports.

Doesn't matter....the comparison still is appropriate.

GA St. MBB Fan
December 20th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Doesn't matter....the comparison still is appropriate.

In what way?

Libertine
December 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM
In what way?

Because an Appy fan said so.

Sly Fox
December 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hands down the most entertaining thread of the month.

xsmileyclapx

ChattTown Mountaineer
December 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Does the CAA want to pick up GW and UNCC?

State Line Liquors
December 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Just to say that the CAA had one of it tent stakes in the ground in Boiling Springs would be an honor.

State Line Liquors
December 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM

Has anyone heard?

Could he handle the pressure?

g-webb1994
December 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
We aren't going anywhere. G-W worked too hard to get into the Big South full-time and out of the Atlantic Sun. We can't fund all of the scholarship slots for football, and our school itself still lacks a solid endowment of any sort, how could G-W afford to join the CAA? I find the idea/rumor a real bad attempt at humor.

Artis did play here when G-W was a junior college, one of four uniform numbers hanging in the rafters at Paul Porter Arena.

Our solid basketball tradition is being ruined by the current idiot in charge, Scruggs, who has survived cursing faculty and staff ad nauseum, along with NCAA probation and grade scandal that cost the school President his job.

Patton isn't going anywhere either. Like I've said before, you have got to really do something to be a coach at G-W and get fired. I wouldn't expect the General to coach more than three more years anyway....he almost hung it up a year or two back.

Hoyadestroya85
December 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
If Gardner Webb moves to the CAA, that's even further reason for Villanova to move up.. Yet another school south of the Mason-Dixon line that is completely different from Villanova.

Libertine
December 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
This is ridiculous. Gardner-Webb is not moving to the CAA. It is not even a remote possibility. There is a better chance of The Citadel moving to the Big East.

(Citadel to Big East rumors commencing in 5...4...3...2...)

drm7336
December 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Gardner Webb beat Kentucky in basketball a couple of years ago.
Artis Gilmore did play for GW. They have a pretty storied bball tradition.

Notable Graduates
Artis Gilmore: ABA / NBA All-Star.
Gerry Vaillancourt: Broadcaster, New Orleans Hornets.
John Drew: NBA Player.
Eddie Lee Wilkins: NBA Player.

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
The CAA has long coveted Gardner-Webb Running Bulldogs as part of their portfolio. Expect an announcement in the coming weeks.

clinchBoy
December 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
The CAA has long coveted Gardner-Webb Running Bulldogs as part of their portfolio. Expect an announcement in the coming weeks.

You are full of it!

drm7336
December 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM

What u talkin' 'bout Willis???

JMUNJ08
December 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
This is ridiculous. Gardner-Webb is not moving to the CAA. It is not even a remote possibility. There is a better chance of The Citadel moving to the Big East.

(Citadel to Big East rumors commencing in 5...4...3...2...)

The Big East is looking for that bridge to USF and it seems to finally have found it! The Citadel has become bored with the SoCon and their lame competition to the point they decide to only show up for a few games a year. The Big East will truly showcase their talent and full potential in football AND basketball. The article will be in tomorrow's NY Post which only has a handfull of readers. You MUST pick up a paper tomorrow to find out this stunning start to realignment as they have the exclusive scoop and copyright laws! Go CITADEL!

State Line Liquors
December 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
The Big East is looking for that bridge to USF and it seems to finally have found it! The Citadel has become bored with the SoCon and their lame competition to the point they decide to only show up for a few games a year. The Big East will truly showcase their talent and full potential in football AND basketball. The article will be in tomorrow's NY Post which only has a handfull of readers. You MUST pick up a paper tomorrow to find out this stunning start to realignment as they have the exclusive scoop and copyright laws! Go CITADEL!

xnonox

Start another thread about Citadel if you want. This is the thread where we talk Gardner Webb Runnin' Bulldog football and their history, rumors, potential new conference affiliations, etc. Got it? xnodx

Seawolf97
December 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
So the CAA for 4 or 5 years then onto the ACC ? Another stepping stone programxlolx

britt
December 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Their football program is mediocre. It could be a hidden gem. Nice recruiting grounds and in a very weak league. The worst league in FCS outside of the non-schollie league. They need some new life in there that can provide some real leadership. The AD Chuck Birch is fine with being .500 is the problem. As long as they graduate kids and dont' bring kids in that embarrass the program then you can work there for a long time. So, you have a Head Coach in Steve Patton that is exactly what his record indicates. When you see 5-6, 5-6, 5-6, 6-5, 6-5, 5-6 all the time is tells me one very obvious thing, being very average or below is OK for this place. Take away the win vs sorry Southern Virginia and d2 Mars Hill then GW is 4-7 with a veteren group in a year that they were supposed to make their move. I am tired of hearing this talk of ALMOST beating G Tech 2 YEARS AGO! Guess what? You didn't. So, get off that, because its still an L in the Win Loss column. Just like losing to Coastal Carolina every single year because the Head man is outcoached. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Hopefully when Pattons contract runs out they tell him to hit the road. It's too bad that the program is not committed to winning the way they need to be, because if they were then they would not worry about finishing the contract and intstead buy his sorry butt out and quit with this mediocrity. But Paton will be back again....

Clinchboy this could not have been put any better, the fact is they are too comfortable with .500 seasons, these kids play hard and need a leader who is willing to bring energy and football IQ to the game, these kids are hungry and want very badly to win there conference.

State Line Liquors
December 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
When does coaches contract run out? Who would be potential candidates to fill the role?

T-Dog
December 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
As for the question about Boiling Springs. It's an out-of-the-way town at the intersection of two state roads after driving miles through cornfields. It's like some drunk billionaire in Charlotte drove to Shelby, ditched his car, wandered into the fields, found the intersection and said "We're gonna build a school here." before passing out.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
As for the question about Boiling Springs. It's an out-of-the-way town at the intersection of two state roads after driving miles through cornfields. It's like some drunk billionaire in Charlotte drove to Shelby, ditched his car, wandered into the fields, found the intersection and said "We're gonna build a school here." before passing out.

Come on, you really don't think Ted Turner ended up out there?

State Line Liquors
December 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Back on topic....
What's this about a coaching change at the helm of the Running Bulldogs of Boiling Springs?

SumItUp
December 30th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hey State Line, if you've got something to say, just say it.

ThompsonThe
December 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM
So, will Gardner-Webb go into the CAA South. Guess they will reinstitute North and South when they go into the CAA.

State Line Liquors
December 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hey State Line, if you've got something to say, just say it.

I really don't know who they'll pick, or the direction they'll head with conference alignment, but I'm definitely interested to see.

Hopefully some others will be able to give the scoop.

g-webb1994
January 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM
We aren't going anywhere, and Patton isn't going anywhere.

ThompsonThe
January 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM
We aren't going anywhere, and Patton isn't going anywhere.

You could always pick that Leach guy up from Texas Tech. Do you have any small dark rooms?

If Gardner Webb does just stay in the CAA a few years before going to the ACC, he would be right at home.

State Line Liquors
January 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm wondering what GW thinks about coming to the CAA now that UR has brought in a transfer QB from USC?? Will the folks from Boiling Springs be upping the ante as well?

g-webb1994
January 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Repeat.....G-W is not leaving for the CAA.....they are having enough trouble scrambling for a money game now that the Akron game this fall has apparently fallen through, since Akron furmanized us and took a large payday at Kentucky the day we were supposed to travel north on I-77.

OLDLCOACH111
January 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Ridiculous!

Gardner-Webb is not going anywhere!! They just joined the Big South as a full member not long ago, and their sports teams are not yet on the same level as the CAA Conference, competition wise or in terms of funding generated from fan support.

elcid83
January 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Repeat.....G-W is not leaving for the CAA.....they are having enough trouble scrambling for a money game now that the Akron game this fall has apparently fallen through, since Akron furmanized us and took a large payday at Kentucky the day we were supposed to travel north on I-77.

I had not heard about losing the Akron, but, I hope you are correct. I have to believe we can find someone in the ACC or SEC willing to pay our guys some good cash.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7334_1164690471434_1053041569_30446174_7393081_n.j pg

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Gardner Webb will probably do well in the CAA. Would end up surprising many CAA teams. Will have two automatic wins again Georgia State and ODU and some of the lower to middle road CAA teams. Then would surprise several of the top CAA teams. Look forward to it.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Great points. All Bulldogs I have met suffer from respiratory challenges. Do they have humidifiers in the locker room to soothe the burning lungs of the poor canines?
I think I've seen more bulldogs riding skateboards than running. xeyebrowx

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Gardner Webb will probably do well in the CAA. Would end up surprising many CAA teams. Will have two automatic wins again Georgia State and ODU and some of the lower to middle road CAA teams. Then would surprise several of the top CAA teams. Look forward to it.
You want in on my bet with a couple G-W fans?

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM
What is your bet?
That Gardner Webbs' first official CAA win will be by beating U of Delaware?
If so I would have a hard time going there, since I have so much respect for Delaware and for Gardner Webb.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
What is your bet?
That Gardner Webbs' first official CAA win will be by beating U of Delaware?
If so I would have a hard time going there, since I have so much respect for Delaware and for Gardner Webb.
Nope. G-W plays @ ODU next year. There was a thread announcing G-W's 2010 schedule at the beginning of this year and a couple of their fans were comparing ODU to Brevard (also on their schedule) and I quickly pointed out that they will have their hands full with ODU. It escalated and I finally proclaimed that ODU will in fact beat G-W and wagered a cap on it. As the year wore on, OLD COACH was dismissing ODU's wins saying wait until they play Presby, NCCU and VMI... xwhistlex

ThompsonThe
January 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Inherently an intriguing game.

ODU has had all those years to get together their first two years of recruits. ODU just got some West Virginia lineman transfer. Normally, like Coastal Carolina, a new team is at or just about at it's initial peak their second year into football.

Gardner Webb is going to be a beast. ODU will have their hands full.

Yeah, I will take that bet.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I will take that bet.
I'll have to bet you bragging rights. I'm definitely honoring the first one, but I'm not digging a deeper hole. xsmiley_wix

GridFan
January 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
spoke with a friend in athletics today at g-w. Akron is still on the schedule for 2010. huge buyout for the zips should they bail.

State Line Liquors
January 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
spoke with a friend in athletics today at g-w.

Any word from him on when we can expect the new realignment announcement w/ GW?

g-webb1994
January 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
spoke with a friend in athletics today at g-w. Akron is still on the schedule for 2010. huge buyout for the zips should they bail.

Did we get moved to playing them later in the year? Akron plays at UK on 9/11 and hosts Syracuse on 9/18.

Redwyn
January 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Did we get moved to playing them later in the year? Akron plays at UK on 9/11 and hosts Syracuse on 9/18.

FBS late in the year seems tough. Threatens to throw off whatever conference mojo was in the works.....

ThompsonThe
January 9th, 2010, 05:18 AM
G-W could schedule some of their upcoming CAA breathren if Akron zips out on them.

Schfourteenteen
January 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
FBS late in the year seems tough. Threatens to throw off whatever conference mojo was in the works.....

Gardner Webb never has Conference Mojo after Week 7. Should be that much of a difference.

WestCoastAggie
January 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I am just wondering when the Big South is going to attempt a raid of the MEAC??? It seems like it should have happened by now and apparently State Line is hearing something about GW gearing up to move, threatening the BSC's AQ requirements so one has to think about the Big South doing something to increase their membership.

Redwyn
January 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I am just wondering when the Big South is going to attempt a raid of the MEAC??? It seems like it should have happened by now and apparently State Line is hearing something about GW gearing up to move, threatening the BSC's AQ requirements so one has to think about the Big South doing something to increase their membership.

As we all know, the BigSo is a very prestigious conference...playing at the highest level of FCS football. As a result, I had a very long list of schools that could be future members. Some very high potential replacements include:

Emory University, GA
http://www.emoryathletics.com/landing/index
- Don't have a football program, but I hear flag football won an intercollegiate game...once

Nassau County Community College, Long Island NY
http://www.ncc.edu/StudentLife/Athletics/Football.htm
- The Big South should def look to take advantage of the D1 football void in Nassau County. It's quite clear the true conference pipeline is through NY. I mean, travel's not that inhumane, right? Imagine, Long Island truly being Big South country! I mean, G-Webb made the jump from 2-4 years, right?

Heritage Bible College of Dunn, NC
http://www.heritagebiblecollege.edu/
- I hear they're about to build their second building, so a football program should be just around the corner! Who needs an athletics dept...football is the only sport that matters!

Sorry if this didn't make you chuckle as much as I did. End of the story is - if a school that's not SBU leaves the Big South...the conference is in big trouble. I don't see this situation occurring for a long time, since every school but SBU is an all sports member, and worst case is Campbell will be forced into the football conference (can't be worse than Presby was this year, right?).

Highest risk is Liberty. If those construction plans pan out....they class themselves right into another conference. I'd bet on Conference USA, since I doubt their school's platform would interest a BCS conference. No offense to Liberty intended, but you guys do have a reputation to shed with the northern schools. I've never seen fanatical SBU fans except when you visited...it was a bit scary the hatred there. Time will fix this, just gotta grit it out.

Schfourteenteen
January 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
The only scenario where a school leaves the MEAC for the Big South(or anyone?) would be if the MEAC moves in the SWAC direction. I would imagine a school that is serious about competing in football would look to move, and the Big South would make a good fit.

As for the SBU fans, I'd venture to say the circumstances surrounding the game had more to do with the energy than facing THE Liberty University. SB was facing a top 20 team at home with playoff aspirations on the last week of the season to decide a conference championship.

All of AGS bacame Stony Brook fans on that day. Refs too :D

drm7336
January 11th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Gardner-Webb

Aug 28 Bye
Sep 04 Brevard
Sep 11 at Akron
Sep 18 Western Carolina
Sep 25 at Sam Houston State
Oct 02 Old Dominion
Oct 09 Bye
Oct 16 at Charleston Southern
Oct 23 Presbyterian
Oct 30 Coastal Carolina
Nov 06 at Liberty
Nov 13 at Stony Brook
Nov 20 Virginia Military Institute

Sly Fox
January 11th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Wow, there doesn't seem to be the typical onslaught of money games that decimates you guys every year. This could certainly help you guys contend this fall.

My only disappointment is that G-W is making the trip down by my house on September 25th instead of the Flames.

g-webb1994
January 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Old schedule from an old thread. Western Carolina comes to Boiling Springs now on September 4th, and the game in Akron is in limbo, since Akron now plays at Kentucky on September 11. I'm not sure if the Brevard game has been moved to the original Western slot on September 18 either.

kdinva
January 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Old schedule from an old thread. Western Carolina comes to Boiling Springs now on September 4th, and the game in Akron is in limbo, since Akron now plays at Kentucky on September 11. I'm not sure if the Brevard game has been moved to the original Western slot on September 18 either.

.....yet, WCU site says at G-Webb on 9/18 (WCU @ NC St. on 9/4)xscanx.........I guess the SID's and AD's will get things straightxcoffeex.

g-webb1994
January 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
still a month or two for everything to get smoothed out date-wise....I just really hope we don't lose any money game and have to scramble and get stuck with another Southern Virginia type of opponent on the schedule.....

WestCoastAggie
January 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
The only scenario where a school leaves the MEAC for the Big South(or anyone?) would be if the MEAC moves in the SWAC direction. I would imagine a school that is serious about competing in football would look to move, and the Big South would make a good fit.

As for the SBU fans, I'd venture to say the circumstances surrounding the game had more to do with the energy than facing THE Liberty University. SB was facing a top 20 team at home with playoff aspirations on the last week of the season to decide a conference championship.

All of AGS bacame Stony Brook fans on that day. Refs too :D

LOL!!!!!xlolx xrotatehx

But it is one of the things I can see happening within the next few years.

nwFL Griz
January 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Also, not sure where you got Kentucky playing Akron on 9/11. From what I have heard, Kentucky will play Western Kentucky in Nashville on 9/11. And the WCU schedule is on it's third revision, if my counting is correct....so I'd be willing to bet that it is right now and that GWU-WCU is still on the 18th. Overall, I think this will be your schedule....we'll find out for sure in the next few weeks I would think.

GridFan
January 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
The schedule is below as of today. Akron and G-W are still playing on September 11 in Akron. That came straight from the athletic department this morning. Not sure where those rumors were started, but they are false. It has been checked into on the administrative level.

This should be released within the next week from what I was told today.

9/5 Brevard
9/11 at Akron
9/18 Western Carolina
9/25 at SHSU
10/2 at ODU
10/16 at CSU
10/23 Presbyterian
10/30 Coastal Carolina
11/6 at Liberty
11/13 at Stony Brook
11/20 VMI

g-webb1994
January 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/mid-amer/2010-akron-zips-football-schedule.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/sec/2010-kentucky-wildcats-football-schedule.php

nwFL Griz
January 12th, 2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/mid-amer/2010-akron-zips-football-schedule.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-10/sec/2010-kentucky-wildcats-football-schedule.php

Those schedule sites need to be taken with a grain of salt, unless they have cited a source. Often, they miss games that have been rescheduled and/or cancelled.

elcid83
January 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Gardner-Webb

Aug 28 Bye
Sep 04 Brevard
Sep 11 at Akron
Sep 18 Western Carolina
Sep 25 at Sam Houston State
Oct 02 Old Dominion
Oct 09 Bye
Oct 16 at Charleston Southern
Oct 23 Presbyterian
Oct 30 Coastal Carolina
Nov 06 at Liberty
Nov 13 at Stony Brook
Nov 20 Virginia Military Institute

DRM,

Check your private messages!

GridFan
January 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
fbschedules.com is annually inaccurate, especially this time of year, so I wouldn't put much stock into those.

wilddog96
January 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Gary, What are you hearing?

drm7336
January 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Our official visit is this weekend. I'll get the word straight from the horses mouth!

GridFan
January 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
boys,

just heard it from the horse who is in charge of the horse's mouth this morning. G-W at Akron is still on.

g-webb1994
January 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
good to hear.....we need that money game, although Akron won't pay as much as NCSU, it still won't hurt the budget, that's for sure....

also means only one cupcake, Brevard, on the schedule......

I thought we were playing ODU up in Norfolk this fall...did they switch that?

elcid83
January 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Gary, What are you hearing?

All I'm hearing is the Lane Kiffin is heading to Southern Cal. I'm looking forward to an update from DRM on Sunday. Oh, I did hear that Dallas will not be coming back - going to try to walk-on at Florida State.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs021.snc3/10832_1168787373854_1053041569_30456577_8280616_n. jpg

wilddog96
January 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I hate that for Dallas. DRM, yall have a great time but we do expect a full report.

drm7336
January 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I promise to take notes!! :D

g-webb1994
January 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
The General is always good for a wry quote or two.....

SoccerSmells
January 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I had heard they (GWU) are expecting a pretty large and talented group this weekend.

drm7336
January 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM
15-20 is what I'm hearing. Should be a great time, looking forward to it!

State Line Liquors
January 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
15-20 is what I'm hearing. Should be a great time, looking forward to it!

Any names?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Any names?

Any truth to the rumor that a couple of the kids that decommitted from Tennessee this week will be in Boiling Springs this weekend?

Monarch History
January 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I thought we were playing ODU up in Norfolk this fall...did they switch that?

GW is scheduled to play the Monarchs on October 2nd at Foreman Field in Norfolk.

State Line Liquors
January 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Any truth to the rumor that a couple of the kids that decommitted from Tennessee this week will be in Boiling Springs this weekend?

I have my doubts at this point. After all that discussion about GW imminently coming over to the CAA, and apparently GW declining our overtures, I have my doubts if they'd be able to land any of the SEC leftovers now.

There's still a chance that after all the fallout from Skip Holtz moving to Tampa, it could drop 3 or 4 ECU recruits right in Boiling Springs' lap.

g-webb1994
January 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Any names?

This kid from Armwood High in Tampa is considering G-W, Stony Brook, and Towson....he was supposed to be here today.....

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/players/1906/richard-jules/

Redwyn
January 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM
This kid from Armwood High in Tampa is considering G-W, Stony Brook, and Towson....he was supposed to be here today.....

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/players/1906/richard-jules/

We have a few Armwood players:
Wesley Skiffington - PK
Casey Callahan - LB
Ryan Sollazzo - DL
Matt Brevi - WR

Skiffington already making an impact for SBU. Callahan looks like he redshirted (need to check but pretty tired right now) and Brevi's a transfer. Armwood's a great program, so would be great to make another grad a Big South man, regardless of team!

drm7336
January 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM
OK Guys, just got home from our Official Visit this weekend and here is my report:

The schedule we have all seen is legit and set. Not to say someone won't back out but as it stands right now we are set to play Akron as advertised.

We have already signed contract to play Wake Forest and Ohio U. in 2011.

Everyone laughed when I asked about leaving the Big South and said it ain't happening.

There was a great group there this weekend. Every kid there was an All State this or that! We had picked up 8 commits by the time we left and there were still meetings going on. So here is what I know right now......drum roll please.........:D

Commits:xbowx

Jacob McQueen - OL - South Pointe High - Rock Hill S.C.
Sean Hubbard - LB - Charlotte, N.C. - Olympic High
Keion Williams - CB - Charlotte, N.C. - Providence High
Richard Jules - WR - Tampa, Fla. - Armwood High
Juan Blount - RB - Forest Hills High School
Lucas Beatty - QB - Charlotte, N.C. - Olympic High
Cam Austin - Safety - N. Augusta
Orlando Ratliff - DB - Forest Hills High School

Roland Johnson - Byrnes High school - DL was also there but I don't know of his status. He would be a huge pick up!

There were 15-20 guys there. We all had a great time and the overall experience was awesome! I swear I don't think I will eat again until next week!!! xlolx

Spring Game is April 17th.

wilddog96
January 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks drm that was a great report. I kew you would have a great time from our experience last year. You are right about the food.

EagleDawg
January 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Good report DRM and a pretty good start for GW. You gotta think at least 2 to 3 OL, another RB or 2 are in the cards and also hoping that Roland Johnson commits. Good news on the 2010 and 2011 schedules. For us, we get an away game as a home game with Wake Forest on tap, only 10 miles from the house. Might just have to host a backyard grill/beverage fest for my GW tailgate friends. Maybe in 2012 we can get Carolina on the schedule, yeah Gary the one in Chapel Hill.

g-webb1994
January 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
nice to see that Wake rumbling in 2011 come true........go to hear that Akron is still on the docket for this fall as well.....

elcid83
January 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hey DRM!

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that GW is off to procuring another great recruiting class and congrats to you and your family. Good to see that all of the GW negative nellies aren't having an adverse impact on the outlook for our program. Looking forward to getting DRM, Jr. in the kennel! Hudson's middle school coach played LB for Wake and goes to all of the home games so that should make for an exciting trip - especially if we can mooch off of EagleDawg for the weekend. ED, make sure you have lots of Big Sexy Hair for wilddog96 and his bride. To all of the other kids who committed to GW this weekend, Welcome Aboard! We look forward to seeing you in the Red & Black next year.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

[By the way, no offensive players were harmed in the execution of the following play!]

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs001.snc3/10832_1186034045010_1053041569_30496108_7105775_n. jpg