View Full Version : Chris Hatcher new Murray State Head Coach

Baldy
December 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
According to football scoop.com.

http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24

Murray State just got a bunch of new fans from the state of Georgia. xnodx

blueballs
December 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Class act and a good man... I hope he has all the success in the world. Murray State is now my second favorite FCS team.

BossEagle
December 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
:) What was that 30 days??? Shows that Hatch is well respected in the coaching ranks.

I have finally found a second favorite team!!

catamount man
December 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Glad he is at a school where the administration appreciates him. I too am now a Murray State fan. Good luck Coach Hatcher! xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BEAR
December 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
UCA 2010
9-4 OPEN Away
9-11 Eastern Illinois Away
9-18 Murray State Home
9-25 Tulsa Away
10-2 OPEN
10-9 Northwestern State Home
10-16 SF Austin Away
10-23 Nicholls Away
10-30 SE Louisiana Home
11-6 Texas State Away
11-13 Sam Houston Home
11-20 McNeese State Home

I've got that game circled! Hatch did an epic job as a QB against the Bears and as a coach..he'll probably have somebody's number...xlolx It'll be good to see him at Estes again!

TTUEagles
December 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I trust from all the posts that he is a great person. I just hope he loses a lot. xlolx
Or... at least one time per year vs TTU...

Eaglesrus
December 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Time for me to read up on Murray State; need to know more about a team that I'll be pulling for next season. Good luck Coach!

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Time for me to read up on Murray State; need to know more about a team that I'll be pulling for next season. Good luck Coach!

They are called the racers. They are the last real member of the OVC to win a playoff game.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
can somebody give me a brief explaination, from a georgia southern fans perspective of coach hatchers tenure and end at georgia southern. (why was he let go, who didnt like him, who did like him, why didnt he win, was it him? etc)

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Most GSU fans I think believed Hatcher should have been given 1 more year. That being said I think most GSU fans are very happy the option is coming back to Statesboro.

The way in which Hatcher was fired was not done with alot of class.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Most GSU fans I think believed Hatcher should have been given 1 more year. That being said I think most GSU fans are very happy the option is coming back to Statesboro.

The way in which Hatcher was fired was not done with alot of class.

yea, see im not fimiliar with how he got let go and all...just curious, seemed like a good guy from what ive heard

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
After winning the last game this year Hatcher was fired in an impromtu press conference about 45 minutes after the game. Apparently Hatcher had no clue this was coming and there was no chance for him to speak to his players to inform them. The president of GSU broke into the press conference and said something to the extent that Hatcher had been complaining about the admission standards hurting his recruiting at GSU. He basically blasted Hatcher for those comments and said we don't want "stupid" players here.

Anyway it was handled very poorly.

Although I never liked Hatcher's throw it every play philosophy, most people felt Hatcher was a geniunely good person.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
After winning the last game this year Hatcher was fired in an impromtu press conference about 45 minutes after the game. Apparently Hatcher had no clue this was coming and there was no chance for him to speak to his players to inform them. The president of GSU broke into the press conference and said something to the extent that Hatcher had been complaining about the admission standards hurting his recruiting at GSU. He basically blasted Hatcher for those comments and said we don't want "stupid" players here.

Anyway it was handled very poorly.

Although I never liked Hatcher's throw it every play philosophy, most people felt Hatcher was a geniunely good person.

thanks for the explanation. makes more sense. sounds pretty shady

dear coach hatcher,

good luck at murray state (even though we would rather defend your offense than the option)

love, appalachian state

The Cats
December 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Congrats and best wishes to Coach Hatcher.

Eaglesrus
December 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
thanks for the explanation. makes more sense. sounds pretty shady

dear coach hatcher,

good luck at murray state (even though we would rather defend your offense than the option)

love, appalachian state

One more little detail for you KB; the administration guys went directly into a hastily called press conference ( sort of a "hey, any of you press guys still in the box, if you'll gather around we've got something to tell you"), so not only did Hatcher not have time to talk to his team, he didn't even get to tell his family. Word is that his wife heard about it from somebody else in a restaurant she'd gone to after the game.

OSRacer
December 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Looking forward to some exitement coming back to the program. We have had some good coaches and teams, but lately we haven't been so good. Who knows what the future holds, but at very least our fan base (what little is left) would like some consistency. The last 6 or 7 years have been an absolute joke.

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
One more little detail for you KB; the administration guys went directly into a hastily called press conference ( sort of a "hey, any of you press guys still in the box, if you'll gather around we've got something to tell you"), so not only did Hatcher not have time to talk to his team, he didn't even get to tell his family. Word is that his wife heard about it from somebody else in a restaurant she'd gone to after the game.

thats pretty sickxnonono2x

SouthernMan
December 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If there is any consolation prize for the handling of Hatchers firing, our prez is gone the 31st and Baker (our AD) was given his walking papers earlier this week.

GSUhooligan
December 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Baker (our AD) was given his walking papers earlier this week.

Proof?

SouthernMan
December 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Check your PM

ThompsonThe
December 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I believe that the outgoing president of GaSo had stated that he did not make Athletic comments, or something to that effect, not long before this impromptu press firing conference.
He evidently had an itch to scratch against Hatcher for telling things the way they were.

Hatcher always seemed like a real honest man. You may not want to hear what he says but he didn't hold back from telling the truth, whether it hurt him or anyone. Not many men like that around nowadays.

Hats off to Coach Hatcher. May he do well, and have a long and prosperous career.

Laserlips
December 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
JMOfartO:

Coach Hatcher is a class act and he was treated shabbily by those in power at GSU... He deserved better.

Am I unhappy that the triple option is returning to Statesboro, no sir.. I'm happy as a clam..

But I would suggest to those folks at Murray State that you will be getting a class act in Coach Hatcher and his Assistant Coaching staff...

I would suggest right now that if you have any "prima donna's" on the team, or "hot stuff" players who think the team revolves around them rather the "team" they might want to start packing their bags for greener pastures because the good Coach Chris Hatcher doesn't abide that crap, and good for him...

I'm willing to bet that if the Murray State fans, and those in power in the administration give Coach Hatcher enough time to get HIS "Hatch Attack" working, and it won't be overnight, you'll see football success at Murray State that has been absent for a long time.. Count on it..

I love the triple option, and I'm glad it's coming home, but you'll never find a classier person, or a more dedicated Coach than Coach Hatcher, and my family and I wish him great success and happiness at Murray State..

AFTER GSU, I'm gonna be a big Murray State fan...xthumbsupx

Just personal opinion.

Jesse

EKU05
December 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the OVC Coach Hatcher. I think this is a great hire for Murray, but hopefully our football team will be less than hospitable in Richmond next season.

BlazerDawg
December 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
As a player, Hatcher entered his freshman year at something like 5th on the depth chart. He ended up taking over part way through the first game of the year and started every game for the rest of his career and lead VSU to its first playoff berth. He also won the Harlon Hill trophy, the D-II version of the Walter Payton award.

He then went to Central Florida as QB coach and coached Dante Culpepper, a first round draft pick in the NFL.

He then went to Kentucky with Hal Mumme as QB coach, and he coached Tim Couch, another first round NFL draft pick.

He then came home to VSU as head coach. I think he was 26 or 27 at the time. All he did was go 76-12, coach a two-time Harlon Hill winner, win numerous conference championships as well as a National Championship and a national runner-up finish.

He then left VSU for Georgia Southern, and things just never got going there. The whole program was mired in a poisonous mess.

Hopefully, Hatcher will get a fresh start at Murray State and build it into a championship program.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hatcher has a QB to work with here in Murray too. I am expecting between 5-7 wins in 2010 for the Racers.

What a feeling it would be for me for the Aggies & the Racers to have winning seasons.

Laserlips
December 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=BlazerDawg
He then left VSU for Georgia Southern, and things just never got going there. The whole program was mired in a poisonous mess.
[/QUOTE]

Hi BlazerDawg:

The GSU football program "mess" can be laid on the backs of basically two persons.. The President and AD of GSU..

The President retires 1 Jan, as "apparently" will the AD shortly thereafter.

Will the sinking ship of GSU football be somehow miraculously saved by the trashing of Coach Hatcher and the hiring of our new triple option coach?

No, but the departure of those who screwed the pooch in the first place, ADDED to the return of the triple option to GSU will, IMHO, OFFER the opportunity for my beloved GSU Eagles to turn the corner to producing a football program that GSU fans/boosters and the whole SOCON can once again be proud of.

Truth be told there are NO fans at ANY institution that plays football that are any more spoiled than we GSU fans... Our program was blessed with early success, and lots of it. The offense associated with that success was the triple option, and I don't believe many fans will be happy again with anything but that offense.

So, Coach Hatcher was treated like crap, and it was undeserved.. But I honestly believe that ANY football coach at GSU that didn't produce fantastic results with another offense than the t/o was destined for criticism beyond what was reasonable.

I think Murray State will find a winner in the good Coach, and I honestly believe the football program there is destined for very, very good times ahead. The powers that be at Murray State must give Coach Hatcher time to get his type players in place, and if they'll have patience it will be rewarded.

For me personally, I love the triple option... It's just GSU football, and no matter how many comments are made about how GSU success is "history", and "what have the GSU Eagles done lately" when we walk into Paulson Stadium in Statesboro we will see SIX National Championship Flags flying...

You won't see that anyplace else... ;)

ALL past championships are "ancient history".... AS Americans we are more about "who's doing" great TODAY"....

If you don't think winning Chamionships, EVEN past Championships are something special, just monitor the Montana Griz forum... Those folks are LIVID at losing the big game two years in a row.

Winning at Chattanooga means everything, and 2nd place is simply the location of the first loser..

I'm a big Griz fan.. I respect that program, and I was pulling for them in the Championship game... But winning at football, as with any sport, is determined by more than just the players on the field.. The wx, good/bad bounces, etc. all play a part. And I'm of the opinion that a team must be GOOD, and LUCKY to win those big games.

Crap I wish our GSU Eagle program was anywhere near the caliber of the Griz Nation's.... We are many, many years from prominence, if ever.xbawlingx

But I do believe hiring a new Coach who will return the t/o to GSU, and love and respect our traditions is a great first start.. Coach Monken was associated with some of our great teams, has the championship rings to prove it, and he knows what is expected of him by our fans...

Another team I have a great deal of respect for is SDSU... Man, great program who whipped our butts big time the last time we played.. Great team, great folks, sucky weather.. (Two out of three "ain't" bad?)

Sorry to ramble, but it's what I do best.

Good luck to Coach Hatcher at Murray State... He's a good'un.. Best Wishes to the Griz fans, great program..xthumbsupx

And now I'll be crossing my fingers that for the third time in a very short period we have a new coach with a new philosophy who can get the job done that the previous two could not.. I think our fans WILL give him the necessary time.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Buzzcut
December 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Looking forward to some exitement coming back to the program. We have had some good coaches and teams, but lately we haven't been so good. Who knows what the future holds, but at very least our fan base (what little is left) would like some consistency. The last 6 or 7 years have been an absolute joke.

Boy, have you got that right. It was a virtual ghost town the last two games I attended at MSU. There were by far more fans for the opposition than for the home team (and these were homecoming games). In fact, one student said to me that he was there "just to see the band, because the football team sucks." A pretty sad remark to say the least (though the band was damn good!)

Looking at the area surrounding the college, I can see the difficulties involved in recruiting there. I would think the geographical isolation alone would lend many to look at Bowling Green and WKU. Hell, you have to travel to Tennessee just to buy beer!

Hatcher is a good coach and I wish him the best of luck at Murray. Hopefully he can turn things around.

OSRacer
December 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
It is official. Looking forward to the "Hatch Attack" at Murray State...
http://www.goracers.com/HomePage.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6700&KEY=