PDA

View Full Version : 10 questions with jerry moore

DLS
December 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
covers his thoughts on the qb situation, next year, and edwards' nfl aspirations

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/entry/season-wrap-up-with-jerry-moore

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
thanks

JMUNJ08
December 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
"(Tony) Washington from High Point. We didn’t play against a receiver this year that was better than him."

Hudgins from Elon wasn't better? Big statement for a guy we haven't seen.

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
8. Of the players you red-shirted this year, are there players among those that will significantly factor into things next season?

“I think there are several. To begin with, (Tony) Washington from High Point. We didn’t play against a receiver this year that was better than him. And there’s (Andrew) Peacock, we ran him as a scout-team running back. I don’t think we played against a back better than him this year. I know we didn’t play any with more speed than he’s got.”

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
"(Tony) Washington from High Point. We didn’t play against a receiver this year that was better than him."

Hudgins from Elon wasn't better? Big statement for a guy we haven't seen.

xnonox How dare you question Jerry Moore, or the skill of an ASU player. xnonox

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
“I think there are several. To begin with, (Tony) Washington from High Point. We didn’t play against a receiver this year that was better than him. And there’s (Andrew) Peacock, we ran him as a scout-team running back. I don’t think we played against a back better than him this year. I know we didn’t play any with more speed than he’s got.”

that should insult some elon fans and some montana fans.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Maybe, but it shouldn't. Coaches should be effusive in praise of their players in public.

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Of all the comment Mickey Matthews has made JMU shouldn't be questioning what Moore says.

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
By should i meant will.. and you're right it shouldn't

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Of all the comment Mickey Matthews has made JMU shouldn't be questioning what Moore says.

All I'm saying is, your coach just said that a guy that played 0 snaps this year is better than a guy that broke some of Jerry Rice's records (not to omit the dozens of other receivers we could mention here, but one obvious receiver sticks out).

That's all. It does not surprise me at all that you see nothing wrong with this.

Tod
December 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe, but it shouldn't. Coaches should be effusive in praise of their players in public.

Agreed.

AppIAA
December 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
All I'm saying is, your coach just said that a guy that played 0 snaps this year is better than a guy that broke some of Jerry Rice's records (not to omit the dozens of other receivers we could mention here, but one obvious receiver sticks out).

That's all. It does not surprise me at all that you see nothing wrong with this.

He may be better -- in practice..

How a player plays in practice and in games can be COMPLETELY different.. I think all JM is saying is he is more talented than any one we have played but still has a lot to learn to put it all together

JMUNJ08
December 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM

As an overall fan of FCS I can question it. A guy that broke records for our level isn't better than a guy that hasn't played a down? That's like saying the next Armanti was just being redshirted this year! Give me a breakxcoffeex

I like Moore but I think this was just a little inflated but not bad for his players. I'm sure the kid will be good but can't say "the best" until they play. Who thought Jamarcus Russell was the answer at QB for the Raiders when he was drafted #1? Alot of people (including myself:()

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
He may be better -- in practice..

How a player plays in practice and in games can be COMPLETELY different.. I think all JM is saying is he is more talented than any one we have played but still has a lot to learn to put it all together

Yea, want to know how they are different? One is relevant, and one isn't. If Jerry Moore had said "This guy has the potential to be better than anyone we have played this year", I'd be perfectly ok with it. The thing that urks me is that you know he chose his words very specifically, and you guys actually buy into it.

Let's play a game.

Let's say everyone's favorite coach, Mickey Matthews, got published saying "Yea we have this qb that redshirted this year that is better than anyone we played this year". Let's assume it's a year that JMU played ASU. The corresponding thread to that posted this news article would have 10 pages of posts from ASU fans stating a number of things, 1) how biased the CAA is, 2) how arrogant/cocky/stupid MM is, 3) how much better AE is. Then you'd make the same point me and JMUNJ are making, saying you can't say someone who hasn't played a down is better than someone who is breaking records.

This will be my last post on AGS on any thread related to ASU. It's pointless. xbawlingx

mcveyrl
December 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I don't question the comment at all. I LOVE when coaches say this about players. It might tick off some other players or teams (but shouldn't) but that is far outweighed by the buyoing effect it has on the player complimented. If Washington read or heard that, I'm sure he's sky high right now, ready to take on the world.

But, as somebody else pointed out, there's some hypocrisy in the fact that certain coaches get blasted for this type of comment and others have a pass.

I can almost guarantee that if Matthews, Talley or Hauck had said this, other fans would be jumping all over it.

nms1987
December 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Note: Moore never said Peacock and Washington were better than anyone. He said he didn't see anyone that was better than THEM. So hes saying they were AS. GOOD.

That might sound like nit-picking but I think the difference in meaning between AS GOOD and BETTER is significant.

ElonPride
December 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Through all the double and triple coverage on Hudgins this season, he still ONLY managed 1633 yards and 16 TDs. xsmiley_wix

Honestly, I didn't take the time to read this article, nor did I want too.... Whether it's relevant to the other 120 schools represented this board or not, I find it funny that App fans will post every little thing published or said about their school on this board.

BarefootApp
December 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
He has a right to an opinion, and he was being honest as he sees it. Hell, in an emotionally packed venue such as college football, everything said is under ridiculous scutiny. Bigger and more important issues facing all of us than this. And, btw, Newbill, see ya.

DLS
December 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Through all the double and triple coverage on Hudgins this season, he still ONLY managed 1633 yards and 16 TDs. xsmiley_wix

Honestly, I didn't take the time to read this article, nor did I want too.... Whether it's relevant to the other 120 schools represented this board or not, I find it funny that App fans will post every little thing published or said about their school on this board.

are there rules against posting coach interviews here? or are you just upset no one writes jack about elon?

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Guess that's why there are only 5 posts a day on the Elon boards, I'm glad this was posted here, I may not have seen it otherwise. If any of the top 5-6 FCS program's coaches had a article like this I would be interested in reading it as well.

ElonPride
December 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
are there rules against posting coach interviews here? or are you just upset no one writes jack about elon?

Yes, that is correct.xrolleyesx

ElonPride
December 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
If any of the top 5-6 FCS program's coaches had a article like this I would be interested in reading it as well.

So you wouldn't be interested in reading articles outside those 5-6. Gotcha.

BarefootApp
December 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Wow...I guess if the day ever comes when we start losing a bunch of games, we are gonna have more friends than we can handle! can't wait.

09griz
December 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Yeah but Mariani didn't have the kind of day against App that we had seen in some other really clutch games. When he's on he's on in a way that makes Chase Reynolds look sorta useless, but its been a while since they both had a huge game in concert.

HenBlue
December 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I thought Amanti Edwards was as exciting a football player as I have seen in FCS football, a phenomenon. But compare him to Drew Brees as a passer -- no way. Brees threw the ball exclusively at Purdue. Edwards would be a terrific wildcat player.

ASUG8
December 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah but Mariani didn't have the kind of day against App that we had seen in some other really clutch games. When he's on he's on in a way that makes Chase Reynolds look sorta useless, but its been a while since they both had a huge game in concert.

That makes sense - Chase ran wild over us, while we kept Mariani in check (39 yds) so Jerry's correct in the head to head comment (at least vs. Montana). I think Hudgins had more yds against ASU this year than in past years (127 yds - still a solid game). Andre Roberts only had 47 yds in the game against el Cid. McNeese had two guys over 120 yds in week 2, partially because our D hadn't started clicking and partly because McNeese outplayed us.

ASU_Fanatic
December 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Lol, I love my team Appalachian and Armanti Edwards is my favorite atlete ever. I'm not putting him down or showing no hope in him, but I really don't think he even has half a chance to be as good as Brees, but ya never know.

OL FU
December 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Coach Speak. Moore has been around long enough to know what his players need to hear and which ones need to hear it the most. I can tell you he had his reasons. xnodx

charliej
December 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Coach Speak. Moore has been around long enough to know what his players need to hear and which ones need to hear it the most. I can tell you he had his reasons. xnodx

Agreed! xnodx ... seems only fans find this stuff insulting.

BlackNGold
December 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Read it and Chuckled

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I am sure the coach Moore is excited for next season. I like his attitude of lets sart the season tomarrow. We kinda forget that this is a team sport when we look back at a season of highlights of some pretty special players. Do we have a countdown timer for the next UM/APP game yet?

BlackNGold
December 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I am sure the coach Moore is excited for next season. I like his attitude of lets sart the season tomarrow. We kinda forget that this is a team sport when we look back at a season of highlights of some pretty special players. Do we have a countdown timer for the next UM/APP game yet?

was it '11 or '12 ?

PhoenixMan
December 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Man, I have always held Coach Moore in high regard. So, he is saying his bench players and scout team are better than the starters for EVERY team they have played? Some guy that hasn't been in a game is better than Hudgins or Andre Roberts. He must be reading the posts of some of the App faithful on AGS. Or, maybe....well, the mind does begin to slow down in old age....just saying.

theasushow
December 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
As a football fan it is always good to hear the head coach's perspective, (especially when there could be a qb controversy). On these boards we always hear what the fans think, so to hear it from the coach himself makes everything a little more credible. As for the WR comparison, i'm sure he just wanted to give the kid a confidence booster, no harm no foul.

PS...this is my first post since the UM game....i guess life really does go on haha.

BlackNGold
December 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
As a football fan it is always good to hear the head coach's perspective, (especially when there could be a qb controversy). On these boards we always hear what the fans think, so to hear it from the coach himself makes everything a little more credible. As for the WR comparison, i'm sure he just wanted to give the kid a confidence booster, no harm no foul.

PS...this is my first post since the UM game....i guess life really does go on haha.

xsmhx

psc2445
December 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Having played under the man and having listened to his quotes over the years I must say this sounds nothing like ole' Jerry. He is usually the overly humble commenting type. On the who is going to make an impact next year question his normal response would be something like "well shoot, I don't know if we can get any of these young guys to get on the bus". He was either caught at a weak moment or was looking to motivate some young talent. If it came across as disrespectful I can guarantee that ways not Jerry's MO

BarefootApp
December 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Having played under the ol' ball coach, that is a very credible post.

nms1987
December 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
But compare him to Drew Brees as a passer -- no way. Brees threw the ball exclusively at Purdue. Edwards would be a terrific wildcat player.

Brees had over 500 rushing yards as a senior. In reality he had well more than that but sacks are subtracted from a QBs running stats at the college level.
He was an amazing passer, no doubt, but he wasn't "exclusively" a thrower. He is a great athlete who was a ground threat at Purdon't as well

nms1987
December 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Also, where is everyone getting that Moore said Armanti would be as good an NFL QB as Brees? Someone want to show me where in Moore's quote he said that?

“I really do. I don’t remember the scout’s name, but he’s the one who did the workup on Drew Brees when he was at Purdue, and he says Armanti is just like him, that he’s the same size and everybody worried about the size (of Brees). I think the scouts now realize what a quick delivery Armanti has. He’s smart and he throws in the right places. He’s got a strong arm and I don’t think anybody is going to question his toughness. They’re more and more inclined to be in his corner right now, as a quarterback.”

Moore said just like Brees in that he is the same size and everyone worried abotu that but has a quick, accurate delivery. How did y'all turn that (factual) statement into "Coach Moore said Armanti will be as good as Brees"?
Nowhere did Moore come close to saying Armanti will be an NFL MVP and pass like Drew Brees.
C'mon folks, read the words.

theasushow
December 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Also, where is everyone getting that Moore said Armanti would be as good an NFL QB as Brees? Someone want to show me where in Moore's quote he said that?

“I really do. I don’t remember the scout’s name, but he’s the one who did the workup on Drew Brees when he was at Purdue, and he says Armanti is just like him, that he’s the same size and everybody worried about the size (of Brees). I think the scouts now realize what a quick delivery Armanti has. He’s smart and he throws in the right places. He’s got a strong arm and I don’t think anybody is going to question his toughness. They’re more and more inclined to be in his corner right now, as a quarterback.”

Moore said just like Brees in that he is the same size and everyone worried abotu that but has a quick, accurate delivery. How did y'all turn that (factual) statement into "Coach Moore said Armanti will be as good as Brees"?
Nowhere did Moore come close to saying Armanti will be an NFL MVP and pass like Drew Brees.
C'mon folks, read the words.

this would be an accurate post. xthumbsupx