PDA

View Full Version : "Let us win another national championship in football "

furman94
December 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
"Let us win another national championship in football and championships in other men’s and women’s sports." - Rod Smolla, Furman's New President

Quote from Dean Rod Smolla's acceptance speech at a press conference today. What a great day to be a Paladin when the incoming president aims for the top. I am already excited for the years ahead!

A graduate and football player from Yale, with expirience at Richmond and W&M, as well as Washingon & Lee, Smolla sounds top of the line. He seems to be excited to renew Furman's status as top of the line in Athletics, when asked what his athletic expectations were, he states simply "National Championships". Students are very optimistic about his arrival.

He talks more in his speech about increasing FU's presence on a local, state, national and international level; he even hinted at bursting Furman's ever present bubble up in TR, and integrating with Greenville... whodathunkit?

If you have a few minutes, Read his speech. Great words, very inspirational.

http://www2.furman.edu/about/about/newpresident/Pages/PressConferenceRemarks.aspx

WyomingGrizFan
December 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
You did it in 1988; coming close in 1985 & 01. Maybe we can get an OOC scheduled game with you some time. Go Griz!!!! Go Paladins!!!

Dignan
December 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
It's great to hear unbridled enthusiasm for FCS football from senior academic administrators. I'm excited for you guys.

ThompsonThe
December 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Would be good to see Furman come up in football, along with GaSo.
Miss those close games that went down to the last few seconds that we used to have each year.

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hard to be disappointed with the way Furman's campus and academic level has improved under the previous administration, but certainly would be nice for the fans to see FU spend a little money on footballxthumbsupx

PS, first non FU alum as President in probably 50 years.

eaglewraith
December 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Would be good to see Furman come up in football, along with GaSo.
Miss those close games that went down to the last few seconds that we used to have each year.

As far as I recall the games have been pretty evenly matched lately except for the beatdown we got this year.

dungeonjoe
December 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hard to be disappointed with the way Furman's campus and academic level has improved under the previous administration, but certainly would be nice for the fans to see FU spend a little money on footballxthumbsupx

PS, first non FU alum as President in probably 50 years.

"Let us find a championship bree to go with this winning wine (or whine)"

Eddie "OL FU"
Furman's Dean of Beverage Induced Good Times
xsmiley_wix

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
"Let us find a championship bree to go with this winning wine (or whine)"

Eddie "OL FU"
Furman's Dean of Beverage Induced Good Times
xsmiley_wix

xeyebrowx I've been in the mood for Camembert latelyxnodx:)

dungeonjoe
December 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
xeyebrowx I've been in the mood for Camembert latelyxnodx:)

I can probably get you a recent peach wine with a matching bottle opener that doubles as a knife.

eaglemachine
December 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
"Quote from Dean Rod Smolla's acceptance speech at a press conference today. What a great day to be a Paladin when the incoming president aims for the top. I am already excited for the years ahead!
[/url]

Good to hear. Ga Southern is getting a new president next month as well.

headdressguy
December 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I was at W&L Law while Smolla was there and my opinion is, shall we say, a mixed bag. I'd be happy to chat with any Furman folks on PM about it to keep the thread-jacking to a minimum.

I will say that it certainly seems the man nicknamed "Hot Rod" will be a strong supporter of athletics in general and football specifically, which is what we care about here at AGS, right?

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I can probably get you a recent peach wine with a matching bottle opener that doubles as a knife.

I'll call you when I am in the mood to throw upxthumbsupx

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I was at W&L Law while Smolla was there and my opinion is, shall we say, a mixed bag. I'd be happy to chat with any Furman folks on PM about it to keep the thread-jacking to a minimum.

I will say that it certainly seems the man nicknamed "Hot Rod" will be a strong supporter of athletics in general and football specifically, which is what we care about here at AGS, right?

A Furman alum posted the same on the uffp. someone else ask a pertinent question. How many law students don't have mixed emotions about their dean?

Serious question, and you can live the other details for pmsxsmiley_wix

PS, one of the things mentioned apparently is re-instating FU's law school. Been discontinued for a while (pre WWII I think). Not real certain how well that would work.

jmufan999
December 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
wow. pretty impressive quote. for him to single out football will mean a ton. shows he's REALLY, TRULY interested. otherwise, he could have just made a very general statment.

headdressguy
December 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
A Furman alum posted the same on the uffp. someone else ask a pertinent question. How many law students don't have mixed emotions about their dean?

Serious question, and you can live the other details for pmsxsmiley_wix

PS, one of the things mentioned apparently is re-instating FU's law school. Been discontinued for a while (pre WWII I think). Not real certain how well that would work.

Actually, I think I am in the minority (as is the Furman alum on your board, who I'm pretty sure I know) in having a mixed opinion of the dean. I think most had strong feelings about him in one direction on the other.

Football related note - Smolla has been at least at Richmond, W&M, and now Furman among FCS schools. He's halfway to starting his own conference! (Frankly, that core would be a heck of a start)

UD77
December 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
You did it in 1988; coming close in 1985 & 01. Maybe we can get an OOC scheduled game with you some time. Go Griz!!!! Go Paladins!!!

Then which will cancel prior to actually playing first.

GrizDuck
December 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Then which will cancel prior to actually playing first.

It won't be canceled if Furman agrees to come to Missoula. We like that economic boost. How about bringing the Blue Hens out here UD?

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Actually, I think I am in the minority (as is the Furman alum on your board, who I'm pretty sure I know) in having a mixed opinion of the dean. I think most had strong feelings about him in one direction on the other.

Football related note - Smolla has been at least at Richmond, W&M, and now Furman among FCS schools. He's halfway to starting his own conference! (Frankly, that core would be a heck of a start)

Strangely enough that was one point of concern that was raised also. FU has had a very small number of presidents during its 182 history ( more than a few years less than W&Mxbowx). Most of our presidents retire here. Don't think that will be the case here. But that could be good. A president looking to look very good in order to move on may not be a bad thing.

T-Dog
December 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Does this mean Bobby's on the edge? Say it isn't so!

Sounds like the old guard of the SoCon is tired of being known as what once was.

I guess Furman's realized App is only 2 SoCon football titles behind FU's record and don't want anythin to change (ala GaSo realizing App's only 3 NC's behind them).

OL FU
December 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Does this mean Bobby's on the edge? Say it isn't so!

Sounds like the old guard of the SoCon is tired of being known as what once was.

I guess Furman's realized App is only 2 SoCon football titles behind FU's record and don't want anythin to change (ala GaSo realizing App's only 3 NC's behind them).

You know, I bet ASU was the first thing on the new President's mindxlolxxsmiley_wix

OL FU
December 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
With all the talk of certain college administration's war on football, a breath of fresh air.

Rodney A. Smolla brings passion for athletics

“Furman has already proven that it’s a great example of how to do things right with scholar athletes,” Smolla said. “We have a wonderful athletic tradition that blends in very well with our academic mission. I’m proud of the school in striking that balance. I’m going to be a person who champions the athletic program and works with the faculty, administration and athletic officials to constantly strike the right balance.

It’s one of the natural tension points that will always exist at schools with very strong academic programs like Furman. Nobody believes that it is appropriate to compromise academic integrity in your admissions process. At the same time, the admissions process can take into account the many talents that different students bring to the university.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20091221/SPORTS/912200328/1027/SPORTS0103?GID=jd2uclTDA99nhqu+2aOdMukYYI0Tjdm32bY cqzs8c6s%3D

PaladinNation
December 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
With all the talk of certain college administration's war on football, a breath of fresh air.

Rodney A. Smolla brings passion for athletics

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20091221/SPORTS/912200328/1027/SPORTS0103?GID=jd2uclTDA99nhqu+2aOdMukYYI0Tjdm32bY cqzs8c6s%3D

Looks like we got our wish… a president who values and remembers how he got his education opportunity. Would love to see Furman stretch it's recruiting footprint north of the mason-dixon line…