PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Recruit

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
A local kid from Northeastern PA signed with the Bulldogs. This kid is a good talent. Dunmore is one of the top "A" programs in the state. Even at that level there's players here in PA. He has size and smarts. I think his lack of speed caused some concern. He was also recruited by Colgate.

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/sports

holycrossC
December 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
A local kid from Northeastern PA signed with the Bulldogs. This kid is a good talent. Dunmore is one of the top "A" programs in the state. Even at that level there's players here in PA. He has size and smarts. I think his lack of speed caused some concern. He was also recruited by Colgate.

Another Perry at tail back, cool!

dgreco
December 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Glad to see Bryant has made its way into PA. Hopefully we can pick up a lot of kids throughout the state.

Zangzigger
December 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Kudos to Bryant. They seem to be on a good path

Franks Tanks
December 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Lots of talent out of Dunmore.

Only school in the country with Maroon a light blue as their colors (I would assume)

carney2
December 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Don't know if this kid is a steal or not. The thing that struck me is that Colgate was in the conversation. They continue to do well in Pennsylvania's "coal regions" while "local" schools Lafayette and Lehigh keep buying airline tickets to Florida and California. It makes no sense.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Don't know if this kid is a steal or not. The thing that struck me is that Colgate was in the conversation. They continue to do well in Pennsylvania's "coal regions" while "local" schools Lafayette and Lehigh keep buying airline tickets to Florida and California. It makes no sense.

Colgate is closer to Scranton than the Lehigh Valley Schools.

I dont know why we stopped recruiting Northeast PA, but we have had many good players from that area over the years.

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Colgate is closer to Scranton than the Lehigh Valley Schools.

I dont know why we stopped recruiting Northeast PA, but we have had many good players from that area over the years.

Nope, not even close. The Lafayette Valley is much closer to Scranton than is Hamilton. About half the distance. But the coal-mining nether regions are one of the very few places on earth that might consider Madison County, New York as not being "too far away."

Kudos to young Mr. Perry for garnering so much attention, though! And also to Bryant University, for doing things right. I knew something was going on there the moment they brought Mike Pressler on board.

(Want to know a bit more about the politics of higher education vis-a-vis sports? Read Mike Pressler's book, "It's Not About the Truth." I have a very personal stake in that drama. Go Mike Pressler, and Go Bryant Bulldogs!)

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Nope, not even close. The Lafayette Valley is much closer to Scranton than is Hamilton. About half the distance. But the coal-mining nether regions are one of the very few places on earth that might consider Madison County, New York as not being "too far away."

Kudos to young Mr. Perry for garnering so much attention, though! And also to Bryant University, for doing things right. I knew something was going on there the moment they brought Mike Pressler on board.

(Want to know a bit more about the politics of higher education vis-a-vis sports? Read Mike Pressler's book, "It's Not About the Truth." I have a very personal stake in that drama. Go Mike Pressler, and Go Bryant Bulldogs!)

Well yes I was wrong. According to mapquest the Valley is about 45 minutes closer to Scranton than Hamilton.

I have been to Hamilton several times and the drive from Scranton to Colgate never seemded that bad-- I was mistaken.

Lets just say Colgate isnt all that far from NePA

Bogus Megapardus
December 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I have been to Hamilton several times and the drive from Scranton to Colgate never seemded that bad

As have I - and I travel to Ithaca somewhat frequently as well. From Scranton or, say Williamsport, it does not seem so far away at all.

Maybe it's just the lure of the "big city" that frightens them away from Easton! xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well yes I was wrong. According to mapquest the Valley is about 45 minutes closer to Scranton than Hamilton.

I have been to Hamilton several times and the drive from Scranton to Colgate never seemded that bad-- I was mistaken.

Lets just say Colgate isnt all that far from NePA

I've done that trip a few times, it's pretty long once you get outside of Binghamton. Route 12 i believe is the road you take through all those small towns. It can seem like you're on it forever even though it's about 55 miles. Colgate is about 2.25 hours from my house in Dalton which is about 15 minutes north of Scranton. I can be at Goodman in an hour twenty. Easton is actually a little closer.

Seawolf97
December 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a nice recruit. I like what Bryant has done since they committed to move into D1.
They have not been shy who they schedule not only in football but other sports ( Indiana in hoops ) and they have a strong following. They are a rising star in the NEC.

ngineer
December 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM

I know Lehigh continues to try and 'mine' the coal field area...and have a few kids this year on the roster including a couple freshmen, rb Barket and dl Bremer. LBs Flizak and Mihal and Wr Zurn also from the 'coal regions'. As with any place, getting the kids admitted is always the top hurdle. With a shallow pool, it takes a lot of focus and some luck to locate the ones that match the needs...