PDA

View Full Version : Times Free Press Championship Week Coverage

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Tested for title game

There were no easy roads to Chattanooga this season.

For the first time since 1996, the top two seeds in the FCS playoffs advanced to the championship game. But No. 1 Montana and No. 2 Villanova had to earn their title shots Friday night at Finley Stadium.

"This team has the ability to dig deep," Villanova coach Andy Talley said after the Wildcats beat William & Mary 14-13 in the semifinals last Friday night. "I have never had a team as gritty as this group."

Montana coach Bobby Hauck could say the same about his bunch, which arrives in Chattanooga unbeaten, but far from untested.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/14/tested-for-title-game/?sportscollege

Football a 'Nova satellite

For most schools in the Southeastern Conference and even the Southern Conference, basketball programs rarely overshadow football programs.

It's different at Villanova.

The Wildcats are making their first trip to the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision title game Friday night at Finley Stadium after defeating William & Mary 14-13 last weekend. Their semifinal victory was held at 12,000-seat Villanova Stadium, but only 4,171 seats were filled.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/15/football-a-nova-satellite/?sportscollege

Szczur a variety star

Matt Szczur is a man of many consonants, and a man with many roles on Villanova's football team.

Szczur (pronounced SEE-zur) is the NCAA Championship Subdivision's version of Clemson's C.J. Spiller. Listed as a receiver, the 5-foot-11, 195-pounder has compiled eight rushing touchdowns, four receiving scores, two touchdown passes and a kickoff-return touchdown entering Friday night's FCS title game against Montana.

The Colonial Athletic Association tabbed Szczur as its player of the year on offense and special teams.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/15/szczur-a-variety-star/?sportscollege

FCS expansion has mixed response

When the 2009 national champion is determined Friday night at Finley Stadium, it will mark the end of an era in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision.

In 2010 the field will expand from 16 to 20 teams and the championship game will be moved to early January, the same week as the Bowl Championship Series title game.

The change was met with mixed reviews when it was announced a year ago, and that remains the case.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/15/fcs-expansion-has-mixed-response/?sportscollege

Montana fulfills determination to return

Not long after losing 24-7 to Richmond in last year's NCAA Football Championship Subdivision national final, the Montana Grizzlies started looking ahead to 2009 and a return trip to Chattanooga.

"We had an opportunity to do something that a team doesn't get very often, and that's go to Chattanooga," junior running back Chase Reynolds said. "After last year, after that loss, I think everybody said let's buckle down and let's make it back here and win this thing next year."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/15/montana-fulfills-determination-to-return/?sportscollege

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Nightmare scenario for Chatty this year. Montana who has the biggest following in FCS but is on the other side of the country versus 'Nova, which will bring like 600 people maybe with one of FCS' smallest followings.

Bam
December 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
The locals better turn out? If it was not for work & would make the trip. Great atomsphere.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Have to wonder how many of the local sales were really App St fans just buying early? Granted, some App St fans will still go anyway because it's so close, but obviously just a fraction of those who bought them. With Montana being so far and costly to come from, and with nova lucky to bring maybe just parents of the players, you have to wonder if we are dipping towards the 12k number of a few years ago. My guess for announced attendance will be 14k, but you have to also wonder if Chatty can do anything to make that number look or report bigger, especially with Frisco being such a potential option for a new venue.

jlcharles
December 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I know quite a few people going who are not parents of the players.

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Have to wonder how many of the local sales were really App St fans just buying early? Granted, some App St fans will still go anyway because it's so close, but obviously just a fraction of those who bought them. With Montana being so far and costly to come from, and with nova lucky to bring maybe just parents of the players, you have to wonder if we are dipping towards the 12k number of a few years ago. My guess for announced attendance will be 14k, but you have to also wonder if Chatty can do anything to make that number look or report bigger, especially with Frisco being such a potential option for a new venue.

I would say there are legitimately about 5,000 locals that attend regularly (with a low of 3K and a high of 7K).

Particularly UTC season ticket holders...who get tickets at a discount if they buy them early.

I know there are at least 30-40 college friends/acquaintances of mine that go every year without fail (just as regular as if it was a UTC home game)...we have a blast (we usually check out who is having the most fun at tailgate and sit on that side)

With anything...some matchups will bring out more locals than others. Sadly, most Chattanoogans couldn't tell you where Villanova is (except "up North"). If you have a SoCon team...or a Southern team...or a team they know well (like Montana)...you get more locals out.

Of course, weather has a lot to do with it too. A "non-participant" ticket buyer is a lot less likely to show up if the weather is poor.

To give an example when Delaware played Colgate, the Delaware side had a big crowd...the opposite side still had about 6,000-7,000 in the seats...and I know not a lot of them were Colgate fans.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I would say there are legitimately about 5,000 locals that attend regularly (with a low of 3K and a high of 7K).

Particularly UTC season ticket holders...who get tickets at a discount if they buy them early.

I know there are at least 30-40 college friends/acquaintances of mine that go every year without fail (just as regular as if it was a UTC home game)...we have a blast (we usually check out who is having the most fun at tailgate and sit on that side)

With anything...some matchups will bring out more locals than others. Sadly, most Chattanoogans couldn't tell you where Villanova is (except "up North"). If you have a SoCon team...or a Southern team...or a team they know well (like Montana)...you get more locals out.

Of course, weather has a lot to do with it too. A "non-participant" ticket buyer is a lot less likely to show up if the weather is poor.

To give an example when Delaware played Colgate, the Delaware side had a big crowd...the opposite side still had about 6,000-7,000 in the seats...and I know not a lot of them were Colgate fans.

I certainly don't doubt that number of locals - I think you're right on target with what the locals can be expected to bring. Couple that with maybe 5k Montana fans and about 500 nova fans, and the 12k number is probably close to what you'll have. That will be the lowest since 2002, but it is what it is.

As for people not knowing about nova? I certainly like to rag on nova, especially the football team (I actually like nova basketball, although only after the other 4 Big 5 teams), but aren't there basketball fans in the state of Tennessee? xreadx

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
As for people not knowing about nova? I certainly like to rag on nova, especially the football team (I actually like nova basketball, although only after the other 4 Big 5 teams), but aren't there basketball fans in the state of Tennessee? xreadx

Good point.

Basketball fans in Tennessee would probably say...Villanova plays foosball? :)

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Wednesday Articles...

A time to celebrate

Villanova football coach Andy Talley must be excused this week if he chooses to laugh, cry or walk away for a private moment.

After all, it’s been a long time since he dug the Wildcats out of the grave. Villanova shut down its NCAA Division I football program after the 1980 season, and Talley was hired four years later to revive it at the Division I-AA (now the Championship Subdivision) level.

Talley has produced great players such as Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook and Atlanta Falcons receiver Brian Finneran in the 25 seasons since, but Friday night’s FCS title game against Montana at Finley Stadium will be his first.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/16/time-celebrate/

Grizzlies' Reynolds 'grateful'

Chase Reynolds wasn't sure what to expect when he got to the University of Montana. He certainly didn't expect to have more than 3,000 rushing yards and 44 rushing touchdowns before his junior season was finished.

"I kind of came to Montana just not really knowing what I was getting myself into," Reynolds said. "Early in my senior year (of high school) I was just hoping to maybe to go to an NAIA school and see if I could get some playing time there.

"I wanted to be a running back and so I came here and figured I'd try my best, and if I didn't make it I could always say I tried. Obviously it's turned out well, and I'm pretty grateful for what I got."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/16/grizzlies-reynolds-grateful/

5 keys for the Grizzlies

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/16/Grizzlies/?sportscollege

Also, the paper has a write up of both teams schedules and recaps of each game for the season...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/16/Montana/
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/16/Villanova/

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thursday Articles...

Annual Front Page article when the sports committee hosts a BBQ lunch at the Aquarium (and they have to customary divers in the tanks with the two teams uniforms on...a little corny, but still cool)

Lots of Grizzlies, Wildcats (with video)

Step aside Mocs, Vols, and Bulldogs fans.

Thousands of Grizzlies and Wildcats supporters take over downtown Chattanooga this weekend as the Football Champion Subdivision pits the University of Montana against Villanova University for a shot at the national title.

Montana and Villanova fans began trickling into the city Wednesday night, with more groups scheduled to arrive today in anticipation of Friday’s 8 p.m. matchup at Finley Stadium.

The Tennessee Aquarium hosted the two teams for catered barbecue and a private tour of the exhibits. Divers, sporting the teams’ jerseys and helmets in the Gulf of Mexico exhibit, tossed a foam football back and forth alongside the fish and turtles in the tank.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/lots-grizzlies-wildcats/

Mariani, Szczur are All-Americans

Both of the teams in Friday's FCS national championship game were well represented in the Associated Press All-America teams, which were released Wednesday.

Top-seeded Montana and No. 2 seed Villanova had three players each selected to either the first, second or third teams. On the first team were Montana wide receiver Marc Mariana and Villanova's Matt Szczur, who made it as an all-purpose player.

Montana running back Chase Reynolds made the second team and offensive lineman Levi Horn was on the third team, while Villanova offensive lineman Benjam Ijalana earned second-team honors and defensive end Tim Kukucka made the third team.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/mariani-szczur-are-all-americans/?sportscollege

Wiedmer: Bucci will be ready if needed

Villanova freshman offensive tackle Josh Bucci hasn't broken a sweat in any of the Wildcats' first 14 games this season. He hasn't even left the bench. Not once.

In fact, beginning with the team's sixth regular season contest at New Hampshire, the 6-foot-5, 330-pounder from Beaver, Pa., was all but guaranteed to be redshirted, which meant Bucci would also be a freshman next season.

Or as Villanova assistant head coach Mark Ferrante told him on Oct. 10, "This is the point of no return."

Of course, Ferrante also added, "However..."

As in, "However, if everybody in front of you gets hurt, then we might have to play you."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/Wiedmer-bucci-will-be-ready-if-needed/?sportscollege

'Better each week' (with video)

Montana heads into Friday's FCS national championship game against Villanova ranked 63rd in the nation in total defense. The Grizzlies are allowing 346.7 yards per game, yet that kind of yardage doesn't mean much if the opponent seldom scores.

The top-seeded and undefeated Grizzlies (14-0) are back in Chattanooga for the second year in a row because they have a very productive offense and because their defense gives up a lot of yards, but very few points.

"It is better to give up yards than points," Montana senior safety Shann Schillinger said. "We'd like to not give up either, though."

Montana is allowing just 18.7 points per game, 19th-best in the country, and the Grizzlies lead the nation in interceptions with 25. Montana is seventh in the nation in turnover margin with 36 takeaways and 19 giveaways, which is about where the Grizzlies want to be every season, coach Bobby Hauck said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/better-each-week-montana-defense-gives-up-yards/?sportscollege

Ventrone has grown into role

Ross Ventrone will take the field Friday night at Finley Stadium as Villanova's starting safety when the Wildcats challenge Montana in the Football Championship Subdivision title game.

It's a big deal for someone who wasn't so big. When Ventrone was a junior in high school, he was a 5-foot-3, 103-pound wrestler.

"If you would have told me when I was in high school that I'd be playing in the national championship and starting on Villanova's defense, I'd have said you were crazy," Ventrone said. "At that point in my life, I had no plans of playing football after high school."

Ventrone grew to 5-6 and 140 pounds as a high-school senior and is now 5-8 and 190 pounds as a college senior. He enters Friday with 68 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two interceptions and a 59-yard fumble return.

His older brother, Ray, played at Villanova, was a member of the 2007 New England Patriots that went 18-0 before losing the Super Bowl to the New York Giants, and now plays for the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/ventrone-has-grown-into-role/?sportscollege

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 02:17 AM
As of Wednesday afternoon, 13,155 tickets have been sold for Friday's game at Finley Stadium, including 9,455 locally, Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee president Scott Smith said.

Montana returned 300 of the 3,000 tickets it requested, Smith said. Villanova requested the minimum allotment of 1,000 tickets.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 02:27 AM
BTW...if Frisco gets the game next year...I can't wait to see how much pub the Dallas Morning News (and the Star-Telegram) gives the game. :)

If a tree falls in the woods...will any one report on it? ;)

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Miss one from today (it was in the business section)

Room at the inn

James Thompson is a casual University of Georgia football fan.

But Mr. Thompson, the front desk clerk at Days Inn-Rivergate, has adopted the Montana Grizzlies this week.

The University of Montana band, cheerleaders and fans have booked every room in the hotel and made it their headquarters for Friday's Division I Football Championship game at Finley Stadium.

"If they played Georgia, I'd have to pull for the Bulldogs," Mr. Thompson said. "But anybody else, and I'll pull for Montana."

Downtown hotels appreciate the boost in business the football game brings annually during a typically slow season. Days Inn and the Chattanoogan hotel are sold out. Other downtown hotels have rooms, and those in the Lookout Valley, East Ridge and Hamilton Place areas have vacancies.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/17/room-at-the-inn/?business

Rekdiver
December 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
13,000 looks very weak and I am surprised Montana returned any............

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
As of Wednesday afternoon, 13,155 tickets have been sold for Friday's game at Finley Stadium, including 9,455 locally, Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee president Scott Smith said.

Montana returned 300 of the 3,000 tickets it requested, Smith said. Villanova requested the minimum allotment of 1,000 tickets.

Looks like they are going to hit my guess of announced attendance of 14k.

As for Montana returning tickets, how many Montana fans may have purchased directly from Appy St fans right after the game last week - Appy St fans are famous for buying tickets well in advance of Chatty, just in case.

BTW...if Frisco gets the game next year...I can't wait to see how much pub the Dallas Morning News (and the Star-Telegram) gives the game. :)

If a tree falls in the woods...will any one report on it? ;)

Truth be told, does the pub coming out of Chatty really matter? If it wasn't for you posting it here would anyone outside of a few people be reading the local Chatty news on the game? Maybe there'll be a local FCS guy in Frisco that will be the equivalent of you? (meant in a good way).

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
My prediction is there will be about 5K Montana fans, with a number of them buying direct from the sports committee (part of the "local" sales), some buying them on game day and some getting them from ASU fans.

As for local publicity, it definitely matters...if Dallas is supposed to get all these locals to show up...how are they going to do it if no media is covering it? I guess Frisco will be doing a big advertising campaign. And that is the difference between Frisco and Chattanooga...Chattanooga treats it like a big event...that ain't gonna happen in Dallas.

I know it is not a big deal to most...but I am sure the players enjoy touching down and there being TV crews and the paper to cover their arrival...it makes it feel like an important event. In Dallas it will be just another group of athletes getting off the plane.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
My prediction is there will be about 5K Montana fans, with a number of them buying direct from the sports committee (part of the "local" sales), some buying them on game day and some getting them from ASU fans.

As for local publicity, it definitely matters...if Dallas is supposed to get all these locals to show up...how are they going to do it if no media is covering it? I guess Frisco will be doing a big advertising campaign.

Eh, if the game does 13k in Chatty without a local team like Appy in the game and if Frisco does 11k, does the difference really matter? Chatty has only gotten big crowds when a local team plays, outside of that, the crowds are ok.

And if what you're saying about Montana people buying tickets outside of their allottment and they're being counted in the local count, and we know from past experience that there's a significant number of Appy St fans that pumped up that local number as well, is the local number all that accurate of the local interest?

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Eh, if the game does 13k in Chatty without a local team like Appy in the game and if Frisco does 11k, does the difference really matter? Chatty has only gotten big crowds when a local team plays, outside of that, the crowds are ok.

And if what you're saying about Montana people buying tickets outside of their allottment and they're being counted in the local count, and we know from past experience that there's a significant number of Appy St fans that pumped up that local number as well, is the local number all that accurate of the local interest?

Thanks for making my point...if there isn't that much difference, why would anyone care so much about moving it? At least here the media and the city respects it, appreciates it and promotes it.

As for local count...no one is making any secret that fans of the two schools invariably end up buying outside of the official team allotment too.

bluehenbillk
December 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
As for local count...no one is making any secret that fans of the two schools invariably end up buying outside of the official team allotment too.

I'm curious as to how many App fans are in thal local count. Every message board I go on I've seen App fans trying to dump tickets.

It's a shame for Chatty that 'Nova fans are basically invisible.

Bronco
December 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Locals should show up even in the rain if they want the money this game brings into the community.

Weather is nice in Frisco Texas tomorrow

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for making my point...if there isn't that much difference, why would anyone care so much about moving it? At least here the media and the city respects it, appreciates it and promotes it.

But that's the point - we know what we have with Chatty - it's a nice, small place to have the game and the local media will write articles on it. However, Chattanooga media is not really picked up anywhere say, outside of Chattanooga, so why should the rest of us FCS fans outside of Chattanooga care how much media and city attention the game gets?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my trip to Chatty to see the game and it was a fine time. But it also wasn't so incredibly awesome that I couldn't see the potential to move it somewhere else and see what happens. We know the max potential of Chatty, and it's okay, we don't know the max potential of say, Frisco. It's not like we're talking about moving the Rose Bowl game to Idaho or something.

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I have never understood the point of moving something just to move it...especially when the host hasn't done nothing but everything the NCAA has asked for it...including sacrificing its first born and naming its second child Myles. :)

I am also smart enough to no continually argue with someone who has 11,000 posts...no point arguing with someone who has their mind made up and obviously has plenty of free time.

(quick question...is the title "AGS voice of reason" self-appointed or voted on? ;))

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have never understood the point of moving something just to move it...especially when the host hasn't done nothing but everything the NCAA has asked for it...including sacrificing its first born and naming its second child Myles. :)

I am also smart enough to no continually argue with someone who has 11,000 posts...no point arguing with someone who has their mind made up and obviously has plenty of free time.

(quick question...is the title "AGS voice of reason" self-appointed or voted on? ;))

Hey, sorry if you take my lukewarm feelings toward Chattanooga personally. Like I said, I enjoyed my time there, but it wasn't so amazingly awesome that it's not possible to think that it could be better somewhere else. And that's the thing - we know what Chatty can give us and it's fine, it's okay. Maybe there could be a place that could do it better. Nothing more than that - nothing personal - I'll leave that to you. xrolleyesx

Cincy App
December 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM

CM, when will the decision be made regarding Chattanooga or Frisco?

Best of luck keeping the event in TN.

putter
December 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I think what some posters are after is, as fans we are always looking for ways to get the FCS more national recognition and press. Look at what the ratings for the Montana/App game were, that is great for the division (ESPN liked it too which can't hurt). not saying it can/will happen but what if Frisco and Texas' love for football got more press than just local for the FCS....?

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2009, 02:52 AM
CM, when will the decision be made regarding Chattanooga or Frisco?

Best of luck keeping the event in TN.

Thanks.

Both organizing committees are in town this weekend...both will make presentations at headquarter in Indy sometime in February...decision will be in March.

The good news is, Chattanooga has home field advantage...the bad news is, Frisco gets to see "our cards" before the presentation.

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I think what some posters are after is, as fans we are always looking for ways to get the FCS more national recognition and press. Look at what the ratings for the Montana/App game were, that is great for the division (ESPN liked it too which can't hurt). not saying it can/will happen but what if Frisco and Texas' love for football got more press than just local for the FCS....?

The Montana/ASU matchup would have gotten the same rating no matter where it was held...that is the marquee matchup in FCS right now (I wish it would have been the final game instead of the semis, no offense to Nova intended)

But someone please give me a logical explanation as to how is the game going to get more national recognition in Frisco TX? Hell, just this week, a Montana fan on this board thought we were talking about San Francisco.

You aren't going to get more press. Dallas media isn't going to care. Because it is in a bigger city (excuse me, a suburb of a bigger city) doesn't all of a sudden make it more attractive to ESPN or national media.

College football in the South is just as big as it is in Texas...and unfortunately, 95% of those fans (in either place) are only going to care BCS level teams.

Go look at the sports section of the Dallas Morning News. Under sports, you have a sub-category for colleges. Click on that and it has a list of almost every FBS school in the state with it own section...jeez, even OU and OSU have their own sections...how many FCS football schools are listed? Zilch.

Let's get real here, this has nothing to do with exposure...this has to do with...

1) giving Chattanooga competition to make them have to pony up more money (which they have done, nearly double)

2) make sure Chattanooga doesn't get complacent (which they haven't)

and 3) if they can get another group to pony up a bigger bid and/or more perks/amenities, then move it and make even more money.

All of those are smart business moves on the part of the NCAA.

But the bottom line is money and perks...it always is...I'm fine with that. No one wanted this event 12 years ago, it was literally given to Chattanooga...and the city has done a good enough job that it is actually a valuable commodity that other cities now want. But please, quit saying it is about exposure and ticket sales, because it's not.

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
FYI...you wanna see how much media attention Frisco got when it was named a finalist? click below...it is a whole three sentences...the comments are even better, 1) said "go griz"...2) said "I hope this doesn't tear up a beautiful soccer turf"

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/frisco/stories/112409dnspocollbrief4.43247d2.html

Oh...here's another big article, apparently the FCS championship will be covered by Valerie Wigglesworth, since she is the Morning News beat writer for Frisco (Frisco doesn't even get a section, just a blog)...

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/12/a-couple-of-mayors-in.html

(BTW...as wound up as my post is...I am laughing while I type...I honestly don't get that wound up about anything, I just like poking and arguing with people)

chattanoogamocs
December 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Friday Articles...

City has final title chance to shine

A perennial contender for the Football Championship Subdivision national title, University of Montana football coach Bobby Hauck sets a simple goal before each season.

“We expect to win and compete for championships,” said Mr. Hauck, who has his Grizzlies in town for tonight’s NCAA title game against Villanova at Finley Stadium. “But we don’t talk a whole lot about that once the season starts.

“We always talk about getting to Chattanooga.”

The Road to Chattanooga — the familiar refrain embraced by each of the Football Championship Subdivision programs hoping to navigate the playoffs to the title game — could split. Tonight will mark the 13th consecutive year a football champion has been crowned at Finley, but this is the final guaranteed game here.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/city-has-final-title-chance-shine/

Griz veterans of final

When the Montana football team walked out on Davenport Field at Finley Stadium on Wednesday, none of the Grizzlies, except maybe a freshman or two, were looking around in wide-eyed wonder at where they were and why they were there.

"It seems like just yesterday we were here," senior safety Shann Schillinger said.

Being in Chattanooga and playing for the FCS national championship is, after all, familiar territory. Flying in Tuesday night, dinner at the Tennessee Aquarium, the media functions Wednesday and Thursday -- it's all part of the routine.

"We've been here three times in the last six years, so it feels like a home game coming in here. It really does," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/griz-veterans-of-final/

'Nova coach a marrow champion

Regardless of tonight's outcome in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision title game at Finley Stadium, Villanova coach Andy Talley will be remembered as a winner.

Talley has guided the Wildcats to a 178-102-1 record since 1985, when he revived a program that had been shut down five years earlier. Since 1992, he also has been heavily involved with the National Marrow Donor Program.

"I heard a medical show about how there were not enough donors out there and that people wouldn't be dying if we could get more people on the donor list," Talley said. "I was like, 'I can do that. I've got 90 players on my team, and if I send them out to the campus community and they can get 10 guys each, we can test 900 people every year.'

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/nova-coach-a-marrow-champion/

Edwards again a Payton winner

Armanti Edwards had a speech memorized.

Then his mind went blank when Brock Huard announced him as winner of the 2009 Walter Payton Award during the Sports Network banquet Thursday night at the Chattanooga Convention Center.

Edwards became the first player in history to win two Payton awards, and he did so in back-to-back years.

"This time, I tried to be prepared," the Appalachian State quarterback said. "I thought about the speech over and over, but that went out of the water. When my name was called, I totally forgot it."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/edwards-again-a-payton-winner/?sports

GSU's 2000 win tops Finley FCS games (top 5 games at Finley)

No. 1 -- 2000

GEORGIA SOUTHERN 27, MONTANA 25

A mixture of rain and wind couldn't dampen the excitement as the Eagles won their second straight national title before a crowd of 17,156 at Finley Stadium. Georgia Southern returned just three offensive starters from its 1999 title team that humiliated Youngstown State by five touchdowns, but one of the three was tailback Adrian Peterson. Montana took a 23-20 lead with 11:53 remaining on Yohance Humphery's 2-yard touchdown run, but Peterson answered on the next play from scrimmage with a 57-yard score. "It was do-or-die time," Peterson said. "At the start of the season, I was the one getting all the attention, so it was all up to me. I had to do something." The 5-foot-10, 212-pound junior finished with 148 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries, his 43rd 100-yard performance in 43 career games.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/gsus-2000-win-tops-finley-fcs-games/?sportscollege

'Nova briefs: Canci, Bugli, Ijalana, Weaver

Villanova coach Andy Talley compared the story of Wildcats fifth-year senior Tony Canci to a Philadelphia legend.

"Remember the movie 'Invincible'? He's our Vince Papale," Talley said. "He makes all those plays on special teams. He's a guy who realized he can't be a starter on offense, so he said he'd become a starter on special teams."

Canci had an outstanding prep career, which includes the Pennsylvania state record of eight touchdowns in one game and Delaware County single-season rushing records of 2,323 yards and 32 touchdowns.

But Villanova had better running backs when he arrived, and mononucleosis stripped him of what would have been his first season and the following spring.

Yet in his first game as a redshirt freshman, he blocked a punt against Towson, drawing the attention of the coaching staff. That one play earned him a spot on the kickoff team and eventually all special-teams squads except field-goal defense.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/nova-briefs-canci-bugli-ijalana-weaver/?sportscollege

Montana shorts: QBs, Johnson, Hauck

Two-quarterback systems are typically for teams looking for answers, not teams that go undefeated. Yet Montana has made it work with Andrew Selle and Justin Roper splitting time for much of the season.

Selle, a junior, is listed as the starter at quarterback for Montana in tonight's FCS national championship game. It's been his job for the past 11 weeks, but Roper, a transfer from Oregon, has had considerable action as well.

After playing behind Cole Bergquist last season, Selle appeared to be next in line for the job, but then Roper arrived as a redshirt junior who had led the Ducks to a win over South Florida in the 2007 Sun Bowl. Roper started Oregon's first three games in 2008 before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for four games.

"He was coming in from a big-time Pac 10 program with some playing experience," Selle said. "I just knew that I had to work that much harder and really work on controlling what I could control."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/montana-shorts-qbs-johnson-hauck/?sportscollege

Wiedmer: Montanans love the Griz

Unlike 34 of his 72 teammates, Montana senior linebacker Brandon Fisher didn't grow up in Big Sky Country. The son of Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, he only vacationed there during the summers.

But he thinks he knows why the Grizzlies are not only making their third NCAA FCS title game appearance in six years when they face Villanova tonight at Finley Stadium, but also why 4,000 or more Griz supporters may travel 1,700 miles to cheer them.

"It's just a special place," said Fisher, whose full beard makes him look much more like a native Montanan than a product of Nashville's Christ Presbyterian Academy.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/Wiedmer-montanans-love-the-griz/?sportscollege

2008 Mariani catch 'pretty sweet'

Montana didn't win last year's FCS national championship game against Richmond, but Grizzlies wide receiver Marc Mariani did have the play of the game.

On the second play of Montana's first possession, his team trailing 7-0, Mariani was open down the middle of the field and made a stunning diving catch for a 47-yard gain.

He laid out flat as a pancake to make the grab with his fingertips, tucking the ball away just before landing at the Richmond 30-yard line.

"I went back and watched it on the TV copy, and it was a pretty sweet moment," said Mariani, a first-team All-American this season. "At that point it was the first quarter and I was just doing everything I could in my power to help us win, and it was just one of those moments that obviously I'll never forget."

The catch was the No. 4 play of the day on "SportsCenter" and likely would have been first had Richmond not won 24-7.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/18/2008-mariani-catch-pretty-sweet/?sportscollege