PDA

View Full Version : UR Hires Latrell Scott as HC?

Eight Legger
December 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Looks like we've got our man...

http://www.wtvr.com/sports/local/wtvr-latrell-scott,0,6933216.story

Redwyn
December 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Congrats! Best of luck in 2010!

ur2k
December 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
This is the word on the street this am. Local radio reporting its going to be announced later today.

I think its a bit of a stretch. He's a proven recruiter but not a proven coach.

Wildcat80
December 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Looks like we've got our man...

http://www.wtvr.com/sports/local/wtvr-latrell-scott,0,6933216.story

Looks like he was a Clawson devotee...not a London protegee?

ur2k
December 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Looks like he was a Clawson devotee...not a London protegee?

Correct, he coached at UR under Clawson then went to UT with him and was most recently on staff at UVA. Many of our current players were recruited by him.

kdinva
December 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Presser at 4:00 today: xcoffeex

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121509aaa.html

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Being reported by ESPN now: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4744833

th0m
December 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Is this a good thing? Over on the JMU boards they are a bit underwhelmed, but I don't know if that is...uhm.... unbiased ;) Interesting to hear a Spiders' opinion on this.

NashMoc
December 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I would not be terribly excited by this hire. He has only been a WR coach, never a play caller. I think Richmond could have done better.

Husky4Life
December 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I've never been a fan of hiring someone who has no HC or coordinator experience. I wish UR the best. Charlie Weis got great recruits at Notre Dame, but he couldn't do anything with them, I have a feeling this could end poorly for UR.

SFspidur
December 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM
It's a gutsy call, and I have no idea whether it will pan out. On paper, it looks sketchy as a young guy with no coordinator or HC experience.

But Jim Miller has proven that he has an eye for coaching talent across all sports. As a former UR assistant, he's a known quantity in that respect. And Clawson apparently has tremendous respect for him as one of the brightest up-and-coming coaches in his estimation, which is certainly a big plus.

It's not a flashy name hire, and with success he'll likely be moving on again in relatively short order to leave us searching for another coach, but I'm willing to go along for the ride.

kdinva
December 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
When Coach Scott was at VMI, he had a great rapport with all the players, and his recruiting skills have already been mentioned plenty.xnodx

Spiderbone
December 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ought to be interesting. I hope he keeps the DC Shealy and some of the other core coaches that did not bolt for UVA. It will be interestign to see who he brings on as OC. No mention of that.

I have been a little concerned though, it seems that whomever Miller talked to really didn't seem to want the Job, as if UR had a losing season, zero talent and was getting ready to drop football.

We will hope for the Best, afterall I am some Schmuck and Miller is the ADxeyebrowx

ur2k
December 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I concur with what the others have said - it seems like a risky hire, but a good risk. Scott seems to have the pedigree of a young up and coming star in the coaching ranks. But his lack of HC or coordinator status can be seen as troubling.

A lot will hinge on the staff he assembles.

Clawson seems to think highly of him and most of the Spider faithful trust Clawson.

spdram
December 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Geesh, I almost feel disappointed after reading some of those. Scott is young but very well respected Coach. Clawson told me that Scott was the brightest young football mind he had ever seen. There were a number of well respected Coaches at the anouncement today, I knew a few of them and each one beamed about what a great hire we had made. Of course he is a blank slate and nobody really knows what will happen, but isn't that the case whenever there is a new hire. I was told there will be great emphasis placed on hiring experienced coordinators, they will be doing the majority of the coaching and Scott will be leading them.

DTSpider
December 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I think this was a great move. In Clawson's words...if you wait until he's ready on paper, he'll be off doing great things someplace else.

I've heard nothing but great things about Scott dating back to his time here with Clawson. The expectations certainly are high.

nms1987
December 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I've never been a fan of hiring someone who has no HC or coordinator experience. I wish UR the best. Charlie Weis got great recruits at Notre Dame, but he couldn't do anything with them, I have a feeling this could end poorly for UR.

I'm not sure what on earth this comment is supposed to mean.
Weis DID have co-ordinating experience (for a Super Bowl champ at that! and he underachieved, so I'm not sure how he is an example of a lack of play calling experience being the reason for a failure.
One wouldn't say, "Don't buy a Chevy, I had a Ford and it broke down".

And actually, his offense (the side of the ball his best recruits were on) was pretty productive, top 10 in the country in total yards and 33rd in points per game this year (granted, against a mediocre schedule). So he did "do something" with those recruits he got. He scored points.
The defense's inability to hold opposing offenses (other than Nevada, who has a great offense.. i don't know how that happened) in check and struggles in close games (even against mediocre opponents) did Weis in at ND.

As much as I hate them ND wasn't that bad this year, all of their losses were by a touchdown or less. No one was able push 'em over. At the same time, only 2 of their wins (Nevada, a good team and Washington State.. a D-II-esque team) were by more than a touchdown so they never really finished anyone off either

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2009, 05:55 AM
As much as I hate them ND wasn't that bad this year, all of their losses were by a touchdown or less. No one was able push 'em over. At the same time, only 2 of their wins (Nevada, a good team and Washington State.. a D-II-esque team) were by more than a touchdown so they never really finished anyone off either

Agreed. One missed pass on the last play of the game versus USC, one defensive stop against Stanford, one stop with Navy, and Weis had (at least) a 9-3 team getting ready for a New year's day bowl. Defense was the issue, not offense.

SpiderSafety75
December 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Good hire. I've known Latrell all the way back to his Lee-Davis days. Dave will allow Latrell to surround himself with a solid coaching staff of both sides of the ball. I think this will work out fine. With him being younger, the Spiders might actually hold into him for 5 years or so!

ItsyBitsySpider
December 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Urban Meyer went from being a WR coach at Notre Dame to immediate success as the HC at Bowling Green. Different level, but I think that one worked out OK. It's not unprecedented, but admittedly a risk.

ItsyBitsySpider
December 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I also prefer the young, unproven guy to a "retread." The upside makes it intriguing.

Longhorn
December 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM
It's a gutsy call, and I have no idea whether it will pan out. On paper, it looks sketchy as a young guy with no coordinator or HC experience.

But Jim Miller has proven that he has an eye for coaching talent across all sports. As a former UR assistant, he's a known quantity in that respect. And Clawson apparently has tremendous respect for him as one of the brightest up-and-coming coaches in his estimation, which is certainly a big plus.

It's not a flashy name hire, and with success he'll likely be moving on again in relatively short order to leave us searching for another coach, but I'm willing to go along for the ride.

All very true. IMO the hire was a reach...a BIG reach. And Scott will be starting his first HC job with a team that just lost a huge number of 5th year seniors to graduation. Could be a rough first year for him.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
All very true. IMO the hire was a reach...a BIG reach. And Scott will be starting his first HC job with a team that just lost a huge number of 5th year seniors to graduation. Could be a rough first year for him.

What would have been the correct hire, in your opinion?

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I would agree its not a flashy hire, but everyone has to be a first time HC at some point in time. Sounds like he is well respected and familiar with the program. Richmond will be competitive next year but I would expect them to be down a notch with the amount of talent graduating this year.

Go Dukes

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I would agree its not a flashy hire, but everyone has to be a first time HC at some point in time. Sounds like he is well respected and familiar with the program. Richmond will be competitive next year but I would expect them to be down a notch with the amount of talent graduating this year.

Go Dukes

I agree with you. I think Richmond '10 will be comparable to JMU '09. We lose a bunch of players, but return some outstanding indivual players ... McBride, Parker, Rogers ... like JMU had Moats, Daniels this year.

I am hopeful we can avoid the 'toe stub' like you guys had at Hofstra ... and that we can get into the Dance with the expanded field.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Go Dukes

Yeah, but normally they become a coordinator 1st.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I agree with you. I think Richmond '10 will be comparable to JMU '09. We lose a bunch of players, but return some outstanding indivual players ... McBride, Parker, Rogers ... like JMU had Moats, Daniels this year.

I am hopeful we can avoid the 'toe stub' like you guys had at Hofstra ... and that we can get into the Dance with the expanded field.

Wishful thinking. JMU initially was slated to return 14 starters. Lost 3 in the offseason for various reasons, ended up returning 11. UR from the 2 deep game notes shows 8 starters returning. Loses more talent & experience than JMU lost last yr. I don't recall a team, at least not a good one, losing so many seniors. UR has a With a I-A game for next season, right? I know UR will face what likely will still be a good Elon team, and a tougher CAA slate. With the huge personnel losses, a new HC, and a tough schedule, I would be shocked if UR made the playoffs.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Wishful thinking. JMU initially was slated to return 14 starters. Lost 3 in the offseason for various reasons, ended up returning 11. UR from the 2 deep game notes shows 8 starters returning. Loses more talent & experience than JMU lost last yr. I don't recall a team, at least not a good one, losing so many seniors. UR has a With a I-A game for next season, right? I know UR will face what likely will still be a good Elon team, and a tougher CAA slate. With the huge personnel losses, a new HC, and a tough schedule, I would be shocked if UR made the playoffs.

We also won't be trying a 2-headed monster experiment at QB...

8 starters versus 11 starters ain't worth a whole hill of beans when you have rosters as littered with talent as the JMU and Richmond rosters.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
We also won't be trying a 2-headed monster experiment at QB...

8 starters versus 11 starters ain't worth a whole hill of beans when you have rosters as littered with talent as the JMU and Richmond rosters.

Yeah, but you'll have an unknown one headed inexperienced monster...

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Laub will be a very good one.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM

With the 20 team field, I think the Spiders should be playoff bound if they don't give one away. Laub is not Eric Ward, but he has the potential to be very very good. And he can move in the pocket which will be very important with the loss of the o-line.

The players are all pretty excited about this hire, especially the 3 returning wide receivers who will be our biggest offensive asset. Richmond also returns its best D-lineman in Martin Parker, it's best two linebackers (arguably) in Eric McBride and Patrick Weldon and its best two corners (IMO) with Justin Rogers and Tremayne Graham. Add to that the atmosphere that is sure to be pretty intense for home games in the new stadium. If the O-line can protect Laub at all, I don't think it will be the "reloading" season some people think it might be.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
With the 20 team field, I think the Spiders should be playoff bound if they don't give one away. Laub is not Eric Ward, but he has the potential to be very very good. And he can move in the pocket which will be very important with the loss of the o-line.

The players are all pretty excited about this hire, especially the 3 returning wide receivers who will be our biggest offensive asset. Richmond also returns its best D-lineman in Martin Parker, it's best two linebackers (arguably) in Eric McBride and Patrick Weldon and its best two corners (IMO) with Justin Rogers and Tremayne Graham. Add to that the atmosphere that is sure to be pretty intense for home games in the new stadium. If the O-line can protect Laub at all, I don't think it will be the "reloading" season some people think it might be.

Then how come Graham wasn't listed as a starter?

The only starters on offense I see listed to return are Grayson, your center, and fullback. When a team loses 4 starting o-lineman, the starting tightend, their starting QB, their starting TB, and one of their 2 starting receivers, they're usually going to struggle on offense big time.

On defense I'm sure UR won;t drop off as much. Yeah, have Parker back, but still lose the other 3 starting DLs. Still lose half your starting secondary.

Its not like UR was handily beating anyone they played that finished with a winning record:
-One point win over UD with the last second FG block.
-JMU fumbling at the 5 with under a minute.
-Missing XP & last second FG against in 1 point Nova loss.
-Last second FG in W&M win.
-Elon missing 2 FGs in the last 2 min.

UR likely plays all those teams (pending the CAA schedule) again next season, and all have far more coming back. The only one of those above 5 teams breaking in a new QB will be W&M. + if you do have to play Maine (6-5/4-4) they are the polar opposite of UR- they only started 3 seniors vs JMU. Plus you certainly can't count on a I-A win again.

UR making the playoffs? I'll likely wager $ to anyone on here that won't happen, but I'll have to wait till the CAA schedules come out.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM

The only starters on offense I see listed to return are Grayson, your center, and fullback. When a team loses 4 starting o-lineman, the starting tightend, their starting QB, their starting TB, and one of their 2 starting receivers, they're usually going to struggle on offense big time.

On defense I'm sure UR won;t drop off as much. Yeah, have Parker back, but still lose the other 3 starting DLs. Still lose half your starting secondary.

Its not like UR was handily beating anyone they played that finished with a winning record:

UR likely plays all those teams (pending the CAA schedule) again next season, and all have far more coming back. The only one of those above 5 teams breaking in a new QB will be W&M. + if you do have to play Maine (6-5/4-4) they are the polar opposite of UR- they only started 3 seniors vs JMU. Plus you certainly can't count on a I-A win again.

UR making the playoffs? I'll likely wager $ to anyone on here that won't happen, but I'll have to wait till the CAA schedules come out.

Graham isn't listed as a starter because he was rotated in behind a senior (Seth Williams, you might remember he was the guy who got burned on the deep ball from Dudzik in the JMU game) who also happened to be one of the captains, but he is an absolutely beast. You won't be asking who he is next season, trust me on that. And Tre Gray, WR, had more catches, yards and TDs (I'm pretty sure, didn't look it up) than Grayson or any of the other wide receivers, so I'm not sure why Jordan Mitchell was still listed as a starter, because he didn't play as much as Gray did.

Obviously QB and DL are concerns, and OL is a big concern, but other than that we should be solid. The starting fullback was probably listed as someone other than Kendall Gaskins, a true freshman who played more toward the end of the year and should be an impact player in the next few years. And two good young TE's, one true freshman and one redshirt freshman, should make an impact next year as well.

I'm not saying we'll definitely make the playoffs, but I am saying I will be disappointed if we don't, because we still have a lot of talent coming back.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM

And now it looks like at QB W&M will be breaking in highly touted Mike Paulus.

DTSpider
December 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Without question UR is losing a lot of talent. I'm concerned about the o-line. We're losing not just 4 starters, but 4 starters who started for 3 years and were pretty darn good. I think the success of the offense starts & ends with that group. It'll be interesting to see how Scott handles it. Clawson ran a unique o-line scheme that was hard to learn, but obviously was very successful. Good news is that if we go back to that at least it's not a completely new system to about half the roster (well, maybe 1/3rd, but you get my point).

On defense the talent seems to be there to keep it going. There are losses, but there was a lot of rotating this past year so at least the guys have seen game action.

As to UR's expectations for next year. I honestly don't think that HC change has much of an impact. With the experience of the guys who graduated and the tough schedule, it'll be difficult no matter what. First year QBs generally struggle in the CAA so we'll see.

Regardless - it'll be a great year. New stadium on campus and a coach that has the people around the program excited. Hope that we make the playoffs with the expanded 20-team field, but understand it'll be tough. 7-4 may be good enough.