PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for 2010

Zangzigger
December 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It's never too early to talk about next year. A year from now, what two teams are we going to be talking about leading up to the national championship?

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
It's never too early to talk about next year. A year from now, what two teams are we going to be talking about leading up to the national championship?

You can pretty much count richmond out. I say Montana (they are always stacked and play in a week conference and don't really play anyone in the OOC), W&M (proved this year they are a force again), App (even though we lose armanti we don't rebuild we're at the level of reloading now). Don't really know much much about the other schools situations at the moment. But I think Delaware & UMass could make a run next year too.

tribe_pride
December 14th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Nova is going to be strong next year. They don't graduate too much. They should be preseason #1 or 2 depending on the game this week and how much Montana graduates.

As for W&M, much of it may depend on how a new QB does. Archer graduates this year. As we learned from JMU this year, if you don't have a good experienced QB, you will have trouble against good competition.

We also have some really good guys on D graduating but we have some good backups so hopefully we don't get too hurt by this especially since the D was so good this year. It just won't be as good next year probably.

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Nova is going to be strong next year. They don't graduate too much. They should be preseason #1 or 2 depending on the game this week and how much Montana graduates.

As for W&M, much of it may depend on how a new QB does. Archer graduates this year. As we learned from JMU this year, if you don't have a good experienced QB, you will have trouble against good competition.

We also have some really good guys on D graduating but we have some good backups so hopefully we don't get too hurt by this especially since the D was so good this year. It just won't be as good next year probably.

A guy i knew was the QB and i think punter for you guys way back in the day. Andy Levorne (can't really remember how to spell his name but he was a solid athlete)

Native
December 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Despite Weber's inauspicious blowout at the hands of William & Mary in the first round of the playoffs this year, the Wildcats only lose 7 starting seniors to graduation.

QB Cameron Higgins returns, along with NFL-prospect, WR Mike Phillips, all-conference OG JC Oram, and the rest of a big, athletic young offensive line that gained valuable experience in 2009 and will have another year to grow into their roles. Who knows what Higgins can accomplish with an improved offensive line providing better protection?

Moreover, seniors Cody Nakamura (pre-season All American) and Jared Wilcox will likely get a sixth year of eligibility for 2010 after early season-ending injuries in 2009.

On defense, an inexperienced squad that started the year with low expectations and struggled on the defensive line finished the season as the #1 scoring defense in the Big Sky Conference, despite late season injuries to key starters, and brings back 16 players with double-digit tackles for the year.

JMUNJ08
December 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I will go ahead and pick conference champs and some teams I believe to be in the playoff mix...I believe we may have a rematch for next years NC game though...

CAA: Nova
BSC: Montana
Southland: SFA
Southern: Elon
NEC: Albany
Big South: Liberty
OVC: Jax St.
PL: Laffy (this is the one I don't have a read on)
MVFC: UNI
MEAC: SCST

AL Candidates: UNH, UD, W&M, Maine, JMU, Weber St., Montana St., McNeese St., App St., Furman, Stony Brook, Colgate, Lehigh, S. Illinois, SDSU, Youngstown St., Florida A&M.

I am not too knowledgeable on all the teams but have gotten a good feel for several from this board. Let me know what you think!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I believe Lehigh returns 16 or 17 starters from a team that lost a bunch of close games this year. They've finished 2nd in the PL the past two years and weren't far away from at least getting a share of the title. Coaching still remains the #1 thing. Coen hasn't been able to get the team to win the close games. Lehigh has been in every game the last two years, they just haven't won them. Perhaps not the 'Nova games put even those were competitive to an extent. With that said, Lehigh did pull off two nail biters to close out this season. Coen was 1-13 prior to that IIRC. Maybe fortunes will change. The talent is there.

Lehigh has not won an outright league title since 2001. They seem due. xnodx

Lehigh gets Colgate and Fordham at home. Lafayette and HC on the road. Homefield for LU/LC means little imo.

Colgate would be my pre-season favorite.
1. Colgate
2. Lehigh
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
5. Fordham
6. Buckell
7. Georgetown

WrenFGun
December 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
'Nova and Montana both seem to return a lot next year.

UNH should be about where they usually are at the end of the season, though the schedule is much tougher...

They lose RB Chad Kackert (IMO, minor to medium loss at best), WR Travis Negron, DT Jordan Long, DE Kyle Maroney, DE Kevin Peters, K Tom Manning, S Terance Klein, CB Ryan Hinds, TE Scott Sicko, WR J.T. Wright, C/RT Tom Neill, G Dan Larkin, LB Sean Ware..the bigger losses are, IMO, Maroney, Manning, Sicko, Klein, Neill and Ware. That said, UNH returns a lot of really good, proven players, including LB Devon Jackson, DT Steve Young, DE Brian McNally, CB Dino Vasso, S Hugo Souza, QB R.J. Toman, RB Sean Jellison, WR Terrance Fox (suspended last year), TE Chris Jeannot and WR Joey Orlando.

I think their offense will be better next year with Jellison full-time, being complemented by Chris Setian and Dontra Peters. They return a lot at WR (Fox, Orlando, Mangieri and Mason being the most notable) and a TE who is very capable (Chris Jeannot). The OL got a lot of experience last year and should be better (and needs to be.), and we'll see how Toman adapts as a senior. I expect a better performance.

Defensively, UNH will still have the aforementioned McNally and Young as well as rotation players like John Murray, Jared Smith, Randi Vines, Lance Mailloux and James Jenkins. Vines, Jenkins and Murray are all really talented guys. At LB, to assist Devon Jackson, I think there will be a 3-way competition between incumbent John Duffey and newcomers Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee. Both played well last spring. UNH returns Ryan McGuiness, Hugo Souza and Dino Vasso to the secondary, with either Kyle Flemings or Anthony Gorell likely to win the other cornerback spot. We'll see who takes that safety/rover position that Terrance Klein adopted, but I think Ryan Mcguiness might bump there with a safety taking over like Greer or Perkins. It's also possible that hyped youngster Chris Houston could force his way in.

No idea who is going to kick for us. Wish I had no idea who was going to punt for us..

Redwyn
December 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I will go ahead and pick conference champs and some teams I believe to be in the playoff mix...I believe we may have a rematch for next years NC game though...

AL Candidates: UNH, UD, W&M, Maine, JMU, Weber St., Montana St., McNeese St., App St., Furman, Stony Brook, Colgate, Lehigh, S. Illinois, SDSU, Youngstown St., Florida A&M.

I am not too knowledgeable on all the teams but have gotten a good feel for several from this board. Let me know what you think!

BSouth will be VERY tight this year.

slostang
December 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Cal Poly had a tough year, but return 9+ starters on offense and 8 starters on defense. They also will have a full year with the new coaching staff.

TheValleyRaider
December 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I believe Lehigh returns 16 or 17 starters from a team that lost a bunch of close games this year. They've finished 2nd in the PL the past two years and weren't far away from at least getting a share of the title. Coaching still remains the #1 thing. Coen hasn't been able to get the team to win the close games. Lehigh has been in every game the last two years, they just haven't won them. Perhaps not the 'Nova games put even those were competitive to an extent. With that said, Lehigh did pull off two nail biters to close out this season. Coen was 1-13 prior to that IIRC. Maybe fortunes will change. The talent is there.

Hawks did that last season, and fooled many people (*raises hand) in the preseason that they were ready to make a leap. I'd have to see some early season and OOC wins before I start buying Lehigh stock for 2010

1. Colgate
2. Lehigh
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
5. Fordham
6. Buckell
7. Georgetown

Colgate and Lafayette are the teams I think are the favorites coming into the season. HC sits at #3, mostly because I don't know how well they'll replace Randolph. They're still pretty good, but you just don't replace a player like that so easily. Lehigh at 4, Fordham at 5 right now, and Bucknell/Georgetown in the basement

My pick right now is Colgate to win the League. We get the Pards in Hamilton, and I'll homer it up just a bit. My initial feeling is that overall the PL will not be particularly strong in 2010, but I've been wrong before

Native
December 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Cal Poly had a tough year, but return 9+ starters on offense and 8 starters on defense. They also will have a full year with the new coaching staff.

I expect the Mustangs to gallop to the playoffs next year. That 11 September home game with Montana should be a bellwether.

Since Weber and Cal Poly do not play in the regular season, good luck. xthumbsupx

furpal87
December 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
We go to 20 playoff teams next year, right?

Silenoz
December 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I predict both Montana schools make the playoffs, and that we meet up!

seattlespider
December 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
You can pretty much count richmond out. I say Montana (they are always stacked and play in a week conference and don't really play anyone in the OOC), W&M (proved this year they are a force again), App (even though we lose armanti we don't rebuild we're at the level of reloading now). Don't really know much much about the other schools situations at the moment. But I think Delaware & UMass could make a run next year too.

UR is hardly in bad shape. Our depth chart for 2010:

OFFENSE:

Z- Kevin Grayson (Sr.)
Donte Boston (Jr.)

LT- Kevin Westervelt (Jr.)

LG- Ryan Goss (Jr.)

C- Drew Lachenmayer (Sr.)

RG- Brian Agnis (Sr.)

RT- Jason Sakoian (Jr.)

TE- Kevin Finney (So.)
Mike Poplaski (So.)

X- Tre Gray (Jr.)
Max Prokell (Sr.)

FB- Ben Keating (Sr.)
Kendall Gaskins (So.)

TB- Garrett Wilkins (Jr.)
Jovan Smith (Fr.)

QB- John Laub (So.)
Dan Judge (Fr.)

DEFENSE:

LE- Adam Abramowitz (Sr.)

NG- Corey Jackson (Jr.)

DT- Martin Parker (Sr.)
Johnathan Ashe (Sr.)

RE- Casey Cooley (Sr.)

S- Patrick Weldon (Sr.)

M- Tyler Sullivan (Sr.)
Darrius McMillan (So.)

W- Eric McBride (Sr.)
Jordan Shoop (Sr.)

CB- Tremayne Graham (Jr.)

SS- Darryl Hamilton (So.)

FS- Michael Parker (Jr.)

CB- Justin Rogers (Sr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K- Will Kamin (So.)

P- Nick Hicks (So)

KR- Justin Rogers (Sr.)
Tre Gray (Jr.)

PR- Justin Rogers (Sr.)
Tremayne Graham (Jr.)

LS- ??

H- John Laub (So.)

As you can see, we are LOADED at receiver. We return the overwhelming majority of our defense. Our question marks will be whether or stud rs-QB can step up (he looked great in limited action), our OL, and DL. While we won't likely be contending for a CAA championship, there is no reason why we won't be competing for 7-8 wins and a playoff berth in the expanded playoff format.

slostang
December 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I expect the Mustangs to gallop to the playoffs next year. That 11 September home game with Montana should be a bellwether.

Since Weber and Cal Poly do not play in the regular season, good luck. xthumbsupx

Back at you. Maybe a playoff rematch in 2010????

vettert49
December 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM

I don't get it, what does Montana and the Bigsky conference have to do? We have the 2nd best overall conference in the FCS. We send three to the playoffs. Montana doesn't schedule FBS OOC, but we do schedule Quality FCS OOC(i.e. UC Davis and Cal Poly)

Anyways I predict Montana vs APP. St. Who cares if AE is gone they almost beat East Carolina without him. Should be a great game.

Go Giz

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
W&M loses five very good seniors from the defense, but returns a great deal of experience on that side of the ball. The unit had exceptional depth this year, and 15 guys who were starters, or in the regular rotation will return. Strength of the unit will be at LB where the top five return, and corner back with the top three. The redshirting freshmen have several who look like they may step in next year.

Replacing RJ Archer at QB is the most important task for the offense. Most believe freshman Brent Caprio will be the man. The offensive line, which was a question going into 2009, now looks like it may be the best in the CAA in 2010, with four starters...another with starting experience, and four others who look to push in the spring. Jonathan Grimes, Courtland Marriner and Terrence Riggins return as a dynamic, and experienced RB crew. Four of the top five WRs return, and despite losing Rob Varno, TE again looks like a strength.

Nova will be odds on to repeat in the CAA. I think the four to watch after them are W&M, JMU, UMass and Delaware.

Projecting two for the final next year, I don't see how anyone could vote against Nova and Montana in a rematch. They made it through this year, and return as much as anyone.

Reign of Terrier
December 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
As for the SoCon, I think we have to preseason give it to App (surprise) because the return a lot of starters.

Wofford will have a winning record.

I think Chatty may have a "sophomore slump"

GSU will be improved IMO

Samford should compete for a conference championship

Western should be better

Elon, though they have Riddle still, I think will be down, they lost a bunch of starters

Furman may be better

the Citadel, if they can find consistency, could be a very good team

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM

I don't see that happening. They are losing their number 1 WR and they are having to play in Boone this year. SoCoN is going to finish very similar to how it did this past year. The 3 SC schools are still struggling to find their identity. Western might win a couple of more games this year. I think GoSo will be the bottom feeder of the conference next season.

So it'll turn out like this

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Furman
4. Nooga
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. Western
8. Citadel
9. GoSo

Big South Conference is going to be completely up in the air especially after some of the upsets pulled last year causing liberty to not make the playoffs. If SFA does come out on top let's hope they gained a little maturity with the extra year off. There performance in Missoula was horrendous. It appeared it was the first time their players had ever seen a body of water completely frozen over.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM

As you can see, we are LOADED at receiver. We return the overwhelming majority of our defense. Our question marks will be whether or stud rs-QB can step up (he looked great in limited action), our OL, and DL. While we won't likely be contending for a CAA championship, there is no reason why we won't be competing for 7-8 wins and a playoff berth in the expanded playoff format.

My issue is if the OL and DL aren't solid you're not going to 1. get protection on pass plays so your QB isn't going to have a lot of time in the pocket. 2. Holes won't open up as solidly for your running backs and 3. you're defense isn't going to get pressure on OL's who have practiced a lot together.

Coaching changes never help the school in the first year. Especially when you're having to break in a new QB as well.

How is grayson still in school? He seems like he's like a 9th year senior haha.

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2009, 07:03 AM
UD better be a playoff team in 2010 or some heads will be rolling outta Newark.

There is little doubt that 'Nova will be the consensus favorite in the league. UD & JMU will be improved, W&M will go down a notch losing key players on the DL & their QB. UR will take the biggest drop but will still be OK, they'll find out how valuable Ward really was. Bye will finish right above TU.

I know there are no divisions next year, but the only former North team I see that could make noise is of course UNH. Still puzzles me how they can blow McNeese away one week & crap the bed versus 'Nova 7 days later. They lose a bunch of players but return a decent amount of talent.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM
UD better be a playoff team in 2010 or some heads will be rolling outta Newark.

There is little doubt that 'Nova will be the consensus favorite in the league. UD & JMU will be improved, W&M will go down a notch losing key players on the DL & their QB. UR will take the biggest drop but will still be OK, they'll find out how valuable Ward really was. Bye will finish right above TU.

I know there are no divisions next year, but the only former North team I see that could make noise is of course UNH. Still puzzles me how they can blow McNeese away one week & crap the bed versus 'Nova 7 days later. They lose a bunch of players but return a decent amount of talent.

I agree with all that. After Nova, there's quite a log jam in the CAA with JMU, UD, UNH and W&M contending for second.

It'll be interesting to see the CAA schedule. Each team only misses one CAA team. Whoever misses Towson or URI is going to have a SICK schedule. Likewise, if you miss Nova, you're loving life. In a league with so little room for error, someone's season could be won or lost in an office in Richmond.

UNHAlum
December 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
'Nova and Montana both seem to return a lot next year.

UNH should be about where they usually are at the end of the season, though the schedule is much tougher...

They lose RB Chad Kackert (IMO, minor to medium loss at best), WR Travis Negron, DT Jordan Long, DE Kyle Maroney, DE Kevin Peters, K Tom Manning, S Terance Klein, CB Ryan Hinds, TE Scott Sicko, WR J.T. Wright, C/RT Tom Neill, G Dan Larkin, LB Sean Ware..the bigger losses are, IMO, Maroney, Manning, Sicko, Klein, Neill and Ware. That said, UNH returns a lot of really good, proven players, including LB Devon Jackson, DT Steve Young, DE Brian McNally, CB Dino Vasso, S Hugo Souza, QB R.J. Toman, RB Sean Jellison, WR Terrance Fox (suspended last year), TE Chris Jeannot and WR Joey Orlando.

I think their offense will be better next year with Jellison full-time, being complemented by Chris Setian and Dontra Peters. They return a lot at WR (Fox, Orlando, Mangieri and Mason being the most notable) and a TE who is very capable (Chris Jeannot). The OL got a lot of experience last year and should be better (and needs to be.), and we'll see how Toman adapts as a senior. I expect a better performance.

Defensively, UNH will still have the aforementioned McNally and Young as well as rotation players like John Murray, Jared Smith, Randi Vines, Lance Mailloux and James Jenkins. Vines, Jenkins and Murray are all really talented guys. At LB, to assist Devon Jackson, I think there will be a 3-way competition between incumbent John Duffey and newcomers Matt Evans and Alan Buzbee. Both played well last spring. UNH returns Ryan McGuiness, Hugo Souza and Dino Vasso to the secondary, with either Kyle Flemings or Anthony Gorell likely to win the other cornerback spot. We'll see who takes that safety/rover position that Terrance Klein adopted, but I think Ryan Mcguiness might bump there with a safety taking over like Greer or Perkins. It's also possible that hyped youngster Chris Houston could force his way in.

No idea who is going to kick for us. Wish I had no idea who was going to punt for us..

For the kicking game, Manning graduated, so set up to start is AJ Delago. He has a lot of potential. He is really the only option right now, unless they bring in a freshman. For punting, it is going to be Ryan Glasgow again. I believe this because UNH never put in Corey Marceau or JT Wright to punt when Glasgow was struggling this season. This makes it seem like coach is trying to give him experience for his senior year. Also with punting, they could bring in a freshman that could be good!

93henfan
December 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
It'll be interesting to see the CAA schedule. Each team only misses one CAA team. Whoever misses Towson or URI is going to have a SICK schedule. Likewise, if you miss Nova, you're loving life. In a league with so little room for error, someone's season could be won or lost in an office in Richmond.

If the commissioner's office has a heart, they'll pull Towson off of UNH's schedule and URI off of Villanova's schedule. Make the best in each division this year step up to the plate in 2010. xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I don't see that happening. They are losing their number 1 WR and they are having to play in Boone this year. SoCoN is going to finish very similar to how it did this past year. The 3 SC schools are still struggling to find their identity. Western might win a couple of more games this year. I think GoSo will be the bottom feeder of the conference next season.

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Furman
4. Nooga
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. Western
8. Citadel
9. GoSo

Big South Conference is going to be completely up in the air especially after some of the upsets pulled last year causing liberty to not make the playoffs. If SFA does come out on top let's hope they gained a little maturity with the extra year off. There performance in Missoula was horrendous. It appeared it was the first time their players had ever seen a body of water completely frozen over.

I agree with what you said. I think both app n elon will be in the playoff hunt and you get them at your place. Im not sure on the rest of the schedules but it will be close again. I just don't see how GoSo will be so bad. I know they are redoing their offense but a team with their tradition won't be in the basement.

The Big South will be good and we may be talking about 2 teams in the playoffs????

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
If the commissioner's office has a heart, they'll pull Towson off of UNH's schedule and URI off of Villanova's schedule. Make the best in each division this year step up to the plate in 2010. xthumbsupx

I likexthumbsupx If not, JMU will volunteer to take off Nova or UNH xsmiley_wix

Dane96
December 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM

While I would love that...we are in a very precarious offensive situation. None of our frosh and red-shirt running backs have shown themselves capable of running Albany's heavy backfield load and it looks like Andrew Smith will be our full-time RB unless we can get someone from Hofstra, NU or JUCO. That's not a terrible thing considering what Smith did to all the teams we played against this year...he is an amazing TB.

Problem is, he was supposed to be our starting QB. So...we really have to find a QB replacement...

...which is why Central Ct. is my pre-season favorite to get the NEC's first autobid.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I agree with what you said. I think both app n elon will be in the playoff hunt and you get them at your place. Im not sure on the rest of the schedules but it will be close again. I just don't see how GoSo will be so bad. I know they are redoing their offense but a team with their tradition won't be in the basement.

The Big South will be good and we may be talking about 2 teams in the playoffs????

My reasoning about Georgia Southern is because they lost some questionable games this year they should have won.

Like barely beating Citadel at home. Granted most of their hard games will be at home but Western playing us that close at the end of the season kind of begs the question who will actually be a bottom feeder now. I feel it will be a toss up between those three citadel, goso and western. Georgia Southern and citadel are going through the most change and western has some quality thorough breads in their stable. So I am thinking it will most like either be GoSo or Citadel fighting for last in the conference.

eaglemachine
December 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think GoSo will be the bottom feeder of the conference next season.

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Furman
4. Nooga
5. Samford
6. Wofford
7. Western
8. Citadel
9. GoSo

If Monken finds the right option QB, I think Ga Southern will be competing for the top half of the conference. We were middle of the conference this year with an offense that couldn't score and a porous O line.

AppIAA
December 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
App is only losing 6 starters and 8 total of the 2 deep,..

I know they are very key players (AE, Roman, Gilbert, Acitelli), but we have A LOT of talent coming back.. Just depends on what we do in the post-AE era at QB..

I think it will surprise some people

Spiderbone
December 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
My issue is if the OL and DL aren't solid you're not going to 1. get protection on pass plays so your QB isn't going to have a lot of time in the pocket. 2. Holes won't open up as solidly for your running backs and 3. you're defense isn't going to get pressure on OL's who have practiced a lot together.

Coaching changes never help the school in the first year. Especially when you're having to break in a new QB as well.

It seemed to work out well for London in his first year...hmmmmmm won a national championshipxwhistlex

Our back-up QB is a great player and can throw the ball as he is more of a pocket passer. We will definitely be more defense-oriented but our O-line is still big and mature with Forte looking to add to his accolades.

You all keep thinking we will have a down year..that is exactly the way we want it. IT will be great when it comes back and bites you when we make the playoffs next year and knock off a few teams.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
It seemed to work out well for London in his first year...hmmmmmm won a national championshipxwhistlex

Our back-up QB is a great player and can throw the ball as he is more of a pocket passer. We will definitely be more defense-oriented but our O-line is still big and mature with Forte looking to add to his accolades.

You all keep thinking we will have a down year..that is exactly the way we want it. IT will be great when it comes back and bites you when we make the playoffs next year and knock off a few teams.

It doesn't always happen that way though. In rare situations do QB's and Coaches make a perfect combination. I'd say it was your bruising defense that won you that championship. You had some absolute beasts that season.

jcmanson
December 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
For the Big South, Liberty will once again be the favorite. Stony Brook and Charleston Southern will also compete for the championship, and chance at an at-large.

I don't see Liberty losing in the conference as we get the top 3 (SBU, CSU, and G-W) at home. We play at CCU, VMI, and PC.

I think Liberty will be a top 15 team.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Spiderbone said:
"You all keep thinking we will have a down year..that is exactly the way we want it. IT will be great when it comes back and bites you when we make the playoffs next year and knock off a few teams."

You say that as if your football program has some storied tradition of success. It's not that we think you're going to have "a down year"... we just think you had a good one last year. Spiders are like a boy band or an easy girl. They get a short period in the limelight, but then people just stop paying attention to them.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Spiderbone said:
"You all keep thinking we will have a down year..that is exactly the way we want it. IT will be great when it comes back and bites you when we make the playoffs next year and knock off a few teams."

You say that as if your football program has some storied tradition of success. It's not that we think you're going to have "a down year"... we just think you had a good one last year. Spiders are like a boy band or an easy girl. They get a short period in the limelight, but then people just stop paying attention to them.
xeekx

Dane96
December 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
xpopcornx

Spiderbone said:

paward
December 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Ahh, Forte is gone! Unless he gets the NCAA to break all the rules.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
With 20 teams you can rest assured that the CAA will have 4 or 5 slots - with NE and Hofstra gone who do you CAA fans see as the top 5 in order? ----

Bam
December 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
#1 in OVC = EKU. The Maroon's begin another streak. Most of the skill players return plus some quality transfers(?).

grayghost06
December 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Funny!...I was wondering the same thing. Much like Carlos Huerta was kicker for U of Miami for 13 straight years.

aceinthehole
December 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
While I would love that...we are in a very precarious offensive situation. None of our frosh and red-shirt running backs have shown themselves capable of running Albany's heavy backfield load and it looks like Andrew Smith will be our full-time RB unless we can get someone from Hofstra, NU or JUCO. That's not a terrible thing considering what Smith did to all the teams we played against this year...he is an amazing TB.

Problem is, he was supposed to be our starting QB. So...we really have to find a QB replacement...

...which is why Central Ct. is my pre-season favorite to get the NEC's first autobid.

The NEC is going to be interesting ..

Albany and CCSU both will have new QBs and lose all-NEC RBs in McCarty and Mallory. Both teams have built depth over the years, but they are looking to replace major pieces.

CCSU lost 12 Seniors who finish their carrer with the best 4-year record in CCSU history. At QB wil have Steve Smith a RS Soph who has a good arm, but hasn't taken many snaps in college. We have some backs in the stable, but nothing like Mallory.

It will be interesting to see what players the NEC picks up from NU and Hofstra. They could have big impacts league wide.

Monmouth took a step back this year because they had a new QB, so I'd have to expect the same from UA and CCSU. I still expect the 'big 3' to be in the hunt, but if Dorcher is healthy for Wagner they could make a run. Also, it seemed like RMU may be headed in the right direction and could be a contender. I think the rest of the league is just a year or 2 away from a title run.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 10:28 AM
With 20 teams you can rest assured that the CAA will have 4 or 5 slots - with NE and Hofstra gone who do you CAA fans see as the top 5 in order? ----

1. Nova
2-8 Pick'em
9. Towson
10. URI

Thats the best order anyone will give you for the CAA in 2010....

Seawolf97
December 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
BSouth will be VERY tight this year.

Agreed. Most of the the teams will improve and the AQ will really up the competition. Stony Brook will be in the mix for sure.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Funny!...I was wondering the same thing. Much like Carlos Huerta was kicker for U of Miami for 13 straight years.

Whitney will enter his 7th year at Nova next year... and Sczur his 6th...

Been there forever. Where is the NCAA checking these things out?xlolx

jcmanson
December 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Agreed. Most of the the teams will improve and the AQ will really up the competition. Stony Brook will be in the mix for sure.

I don't think it will be tight. The only teams that have a chance at the title outside of LU are CSU and SBU. Both of them come to Lynchburg. We're not losing at home in conference.

The average score of conference games played at LU the past 3 years is 48-14.

Big South teams, outside of CSU, couldn't stop our offense this year. Wait 'til next year. I imagine we'll be hanging 50+ in conference at a regular clip.

jcmanson
December 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Actually I take that back. We scored 50+ points in 4 of 6 conference games this year. I think we'll hit 60 a couple times next year.

HandoEX
December 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM
MVFC should have SIU on top again with SDSU, UNI, NDSU, Ill State, Mo State, and YSU all fighting for 2-7 with WIU and Ind State at the bottom again.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Actually I take that back. We scored 50+ points in 4 of 6 conference games this year. I think we'll hit 60 a couple times next year.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

The dogs will be called off. I would worry about running up the score coming back to bite you as you'll see them all year after year....

jcmanson
December 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
We always call off the dogs. What are we supposed to do when our 2nd string QB & WRs, and 3rd or 4th string RB is still shredding their D?

tribefan40
December 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
1. Nova
2-8 Pick'em
9. Towson
10. URI

Thats the best order anyone will give you for the CAA in 2010....

Haha that is a great prediciton. I have no doubt that Nova will be a great team again next year, but if szczur leaves they could be hurting for that big play ability that got them past some tough teams this year. I honestly believe the CAA is completely up in the air next year, so many teams are returning good young talent. Should be fun to watch! xpopcornx

VUCats02
December 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately, even though Szczur is a Junior, he may not be returning next year if he decides to go pro in baseball. Nova is also losing some key defensive players and a very clutch WR in Brendan Harvey, so I don't think they are a definite "gimmie" to win the CAA, but I think they have a good shot at doing it.

HenZoneNation
December 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
We are an enormous WILDCARD next year. Two things that really jump out at me is Pat Devlin year 1 to year 2 and do we get Baker and Marcorelle back.

UD Qb's under KC Keeler have historically taken big strides from year 1 to year 2. Andy Hall went from having UD fans calling for Mike Connor to start to winning a NC, becoming the A10 player of the year, and getting drafted in the 6th round. Sonny Riccio went down statistically from year 1-2 but in his defense we had two very good and two great receivers not make it out onto the field for a multitude of reasons (David Boler who caught to TD's in the NC had a shot at the NFL, blew out his name before the season started, and Justin Long, who was that Steve Smith of the Giants type possession receiver...very important part of our offense got kicked out of school. Joe Flacco jumped big time. Some people in the stands wanted Ryan Carty to play over him. Next year, he was great. Robby Schoenhoft...let's leave that alone. xnonono2x Pat led the CAA in offense. He had two bad games but on the whole was incredible. He had the best first year of any of these guys with no running backs and no OLINE. I see big things for him. xnodx

2) As stated by KEELER a BILLION TIMES...we lost our two best players on either side of the ball at the start of the season. Both are potential NFL, UD recruited players. They make our team so much better. For an honest approach, take your team, crossout what your best Offensive threat did this year, do the same on defense, and then see what you're team would have done. We get these guys back and we're up there with Nova.

KC Keeler has a ton of faults but he has shown that when he has talent he can win. If all goes well, he'll have the talent, and most likely he'll win. If only one of these two areas happen...or worse...NONE..then he'll be unemployed.

jlcharles
December 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I love how you had to throw in that they were recruited by UD since it's so rare.xlolx

HenZoneNation
December 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Just wanted to cover all my bases xsmiley_wix...transfers for me is just another form of recruiting. They make up a small part of our team. The difference between our transfers and other schools is that we have had some very good success with many of them, while being inconsistent year in and year out. I know Nova doesn't buy into it...but maybe if you guys got some transfer fans...attendence would go up? You never know.

Spiderbone
December 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Spiderbone said:

Well, you just made me a fan of Villanova to win the National Championship.

We will keep having good years and have been quite competitive over the last decade. You guys were awfully confident last year in Chatty and got spanked, I think the same will happen this year...in fact, I am looking forward to it. You guys will never win a national championship as long as the CAA exists. xsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hawks did that last season, and fooled many people (*raises hand) in the preseason that they were ready to make a leap. I'd have to see some early season and OOC wins before I start buying Lehigh stock for 2010

The amount of returning starters can't be ignored. If there's any improvement at all, Lehigh will be a 7-4 team. Everything falls on the coaching.

UNHAlum
December 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately, even though Szczur is a Junior, he may not be returning next year if he decides to go pro in baseball. Nova is also losing some key defensive players and a very clutch WR in Brendan Harvey, so I don't think they are a definite "gimmie" to win the CAA, but I think they have a good shot at doing it.

He's like Jeff Samardzija! I'd love to see Szczur leave, it'll help UNH! He is real good, playmaker!

bluehenbillk
December 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
We are an enormous WILDCARD next year. Two things that really jump out at me is Pat Devlin year 1 to year 2 and do we get Baker and Marcorelle back.

2) As stated by KEELER a BILLION TIMES...we lost our two best players on either side of the ball at the start of the season. Both are potential NFL, UD recruited players.

Sold on Baker, not sold on MM. He's been hurt so much and exactly what position could you see him playing in the NFL? Too small to play DE and too slow to play LB.

HenZoneNation
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
BluehenBillk,

I can't say I disagree with you about MM. But there have been numerous refernces, not just by KC, about him skipping playing at UD to go pro. The injuries are killers but he could absolutely play LB. You want to see slow, check Pierce on the Giants trying to cover a LB. The dude makes tackles when they run at him, but he's not catching anybody. That's for sure. We will see. I still think that MM playing LB next year gives him a good shot to be healthy, provided he wants to play and the surgery goes well and it protects those shoulders. If he does come back...no Spring drills for him...

89Hen
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
CAA South will be a beast again. Delaware and JMU may take the place of Richmond. xeekx

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Well, Spiderbone, I don't think anybody from the Griz fan base was counting on your support. CAA fans aren't known for being magnanimous. Go meet an Appalachian or Georgia Southern fan. Are they confident? Yes? Do they have some grace about it? Absolutely. Their programs have history and tradition (heck, they even fill up big stadiums).

Deleware is the only CAA team that can claim a history and tradition of football success. When I hear fans from Richmond and Nova and JMU pop off and tell the rest of the league how many teams they are going to knock off, I can't help but draw a comparison to a boy band. It's like the Jonas Brothers bragging to Mick Jagger about how many more stadiums they are going to sell out on their tour.

I think Richmond has made it to the quarterfinals a handful of times, but only gone past the quarters in 07 and 08. Congrats- you won the title last year. You had a great team. That was an "up" year. I don't think that the athletic directors in Northern Iowa or McNeese State are hoping that they can sneak some success during one of your "down years".

Coach Talley shoots his mouth off about the "pedigree" of his team and how they "didn't dodge anybody". He claims that any team co-member of his conference that can beat his team will undoubtedly beat anybody. Guess what, Andy? you haven't even played the big stage yet. And no- by big stage I do not mean the season opener with the Temple Owls. By the way he talks, you would think that he was coaching the Ohio State in the 1960's.

I am not saying that Villanova (or any CAA team) can't be a football champion. Just try to remember that schools like Montana, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, App State, McNeese, and Northern Iowa have been whipping you for decades. We might be a little reluctant to feed you the respect which you seem to believe you so richly deserve.

KUlawJack
December 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
MVFC should have SIU on top again with SDSU, UNI, NDSU, Ill State, Mo State, and YSU all fighting for 2-7 with WIU and Ind State at the bottom again.

I can agree with this. SIU will definitely be the pre-season favorite. SDSU has a long road back to the playoffs with away games at Nebraska, UNI, SIU, NDSU, and Delaware. That's brutal.

Good thing we return huge portions of both offense and defense (with some stellar young players ready to step in) and our special teams players.

elon77
December 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
We always call off the dogs. What are we supposed to do when our 2nd string QB & WRs, and 3rd or 4th string RB is still shredding their D?

Play all SEC teams, you just aren't getting enough competition in FCS.xcoffeex

89Hen
December 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I am not saying that Villanova (or any CAA team) can't be a football champion. Just try to remember that schools like Montana, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, App State, McNeese, and Northern Iowa have been whipping you for decades. We might be a little reluctant to feed you the respect which you seem to believe you so richly deserve.
Had xpeacex And McNeese and UNI have no titles.

VUCats02
December 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
GrizDuck, this is the present, not the past. Just look at Notre Dame. I'm willing to bet they will never be the same way they used to be. Things change over the years, and just because certain programs have had a great past, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to have awesome futures. I think Richmond is going to be very good in the years to come, as well as all the other "boy band" teams like nova and jmu in the CAA.

It seems like your argument is just based on your opinion, and that you are unwilling to accept the CAA's recent success because you want the "historic" teams like McNeese and Youngstown St. to prevail. Sorry bud, this is a new era.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, Spiderbone, I don't think anybody from the Griz fan base was counting on your support. CAA fans aren't known for being magnanimous. Go meet an Appalachian or Georgia Southern fan. Are they confident? Yes? Do they have some grace about it? Absolutely. Their programs have history and tradition (heck, they even fill up big stadiums).

Deleware is the only CAA team that can claim a history and tradition of football success. When I hear fans from Richmond and Nova and JMU pop off and tell the rest of the league how many teams they are going to knock off, I can't help but draw a comparison to a boy band. It's like the Jonas Brothers bragging to Mick Jagger about how many more stadiums they are going to sell out on their tour.

I think Richmond has made it to the quarterfinals a handful of times, but only gone past the quarters in 07 and 08. Congrats- you won the title last year. You had a great team. That was an "up" year. I don't think that the athletic directors in Northern Iowa or McNeese State are hoping that they can sneak some success during one of your "down years".

Coach Talley shoots his mouth off about the "pedigree" of his team and how they "didn't dodge anybody". He claims that any team co-member of his conference that can beat his team will undoubtedly beat anybody. Guess what, Andy? you haven't even played the big stage yet. And no- by big stage I do not mean the season opener with the Temple Owls. By the way he talks, you would think that he was coaching the Ohio State in the 1960's.

Way to make that post#7 on AGS. If you feel so strongly about how we are "entitled" just say itxcoffeex

Nothing wrong with Talley's statement either. The team had tough games all year and they became a strong battle tested team. McNeese some thought would go deep in the playoffs after beating Appy during the season. UNH, a team that BEAT Nova, destroyed them at their place. He has a point this year...

Go talk to other Griz fans who don't all act out as strongly and are more classy...xcoffeex

We aren't entitled to titles but our conference currently is the toughest in FCS and out recent list of NC appearances show how deep we are. If the BSC got a ton of teams to the 'chip then I bet you would be saying the same things...

Native
December 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
No matter what 89hen says, Weber is likely to have another good year in 2010.

With 13-15 starters and lots of experience returning, the Wildcats could surpass not only 2009, but also their more spectacular 2008 performance in which WSU beat Top 10 Montana 45-28 at home and #3 Cal Poly 49-35 on the road.

Most of the starters return on on offense, inclusing QB Cameron Higgins and NFL-bound WR Mike Phillips. More importantly, most of a young offensive line which had to step up after injuries to the veterans will return with experience and another year to grow into their frames. Pre-season all-American TE Cody Nakamura should also return for a sixth and final campaign after receiving an early season-ending injury.

On defense a squad from which little was expected at the start if the season finished as the #1 scoring defense in the Big Sky and returns most of its starters as well.

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM

The CAA is going to beat the **** out of each other next year. I really can't even guess how things will shake out.

89Hen
December 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Don't you have to have one to have "another"? xeyebrowx xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Native
December 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Don't you have to have one to have "another"? xeyebrowx xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

xlolx Weber's football program has been in the waste basket for most of its existence, with half of our playoff games occurring in the last two years.

Last year's conference championship and 49-35 playoff win over then #3 Cal Poly was not just a good year, it was a great year for us!

This year's 7-4 finish and playoff appearance made 2009 a "good" year for us but the skunking at W&M was, of course, was disappointing.

We were a bubble team at best this year, not much better or worse than any of the other dozen or so teams ranked from 12 to 24 in the polls and ratings, but nonetheless a pretty good year, historically, for our program.

Our baseline used to be a winning season. Now it is making it to the playoffs.

eaglemachine
December 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM

The CAA has been helped out by the conference size. Not all teams play each other in a single year which is why there are a lot of ranked CAA teams.

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I am not too knowledgeable on all the teams but have gotten a good feel for several from this board. Let me know what you think!Lol, I love the people who think we're gonna suck next year. We will be leaps and bounds better than Elon. You know we're only losing 4 starters.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
The CAA has been helped out by the conference size. Not all teams play each other in a single year which is why there are a lot of ranked CAA teams.

No matter how many times someone types this, I'll never get it.

WestCoastAggie
December 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
The MEAC will get 2 teams into the playoffs one of them finally gets out of the first round. Unfortunately, this will be the last year this happens because Dennis Thomas finally gets his wish and will bring back the Heritage Bowl in 2011 (sponsored by Disney's Wide World of Sports)

eagle1
December 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
EWU must replace 4yr starter at QB (Matt Nichols) but has some very good young receivers and the 2nd leading rusher in Taiwan Jones returning on offense. The defense returns almost everyone on the d-line and linebackers but must replace and/or upgrade at cornerback. The Eags have a winning tradition and will be back next year.

No one is really talking about Montana State in this thread but I think that they will be tough along with Weber State. Montana is a gimme.

89Hen
December 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the board. Look around, make yourself comfortable. xrolleyesx

So you blame McNeese and UNI's lack of championships on the size of the CAA.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Lol, I love the people who think we're gonna suck next year. We will be leaps and bounds better than Elon. You know we're only losing 4 starters. Yeah people need to give app credit we still have some good starters returning like Hillary and Quick at the starting reciever positions as well as legree and DJ Smith to top off the defense

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah people need to give app credit we still have some good starters returning like Hillary and Quick at the starting reciever positions as well as legree and DJ Smith to top off the defenseYou're completely forgetting about our best WR, Matt Cline xnodx

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
You're completely forgetting about our best WR, Matt Cline xnodx Opps my bad wrong guy lo0l

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
GrizDuck, this is the present, not the past. Just look at Notre Dame. I'm willing to bet they will never be the same way they used to be. Things change over the years, and just because certain programs have had a great past, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to have awesome futures. I think Richmond is going to be very good in the years to come, as well as all the other "boy band" teams like nova and jmu in the CAA.

It seems like your argument is just based on your opinion, and that you are unwilling to accept the CAA's recent success because you want the "historic" teams like McNeese and Youngstown St. to prevail. Sorry bud, this is a new era.

Yes, a new era... but until you've been at the top and STAYED there for a little while, how about you develop some respect instead of spouting off about it like it's your birthright?

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Opps my bad wrong guy lo0lYeah, we're loaded at receiver, probably our best group ever. Now the question is is do we have a guy that can get them the ball.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah, we're loaded at receiver, probably our best group ever. Now the question is is do we have a guy that can get them the ball. Yeah thats my biggest worry about this season, i mean Cadet is OK but hes definately no Armanti and Presley is better as a WR to me so i guess we gotta give Cadet a shot but of course we have Jamal Jackson hes going to be a sophomore, maybe should give him some playing time

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
And McNeese and UNI have no titles.[/QUOTE]

C'mon 89Hen... don't you think that UNI and McNeese have established themselves as a force at the FCs level? Or are you just going to deny them that respect while you listen to your boy-band lyrics echoing from Richmond and JMU?

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM

So W&M, the 3rd place CAA team, beat the 3rd place Big Sky (the second strongest conference) 38-0 and the MVFC champ 24-3 because they didn't have to play 3 CAA North teams in the regular season? And the only reason the other conferences didn't have 4 quarterfinalists was cause they had to all play each other in the regular season? Gimme some of what you're smoking.

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah thats my biggest worry about this season, i mean Cadet is OK but hes definately no Armanti and Presley is better as a WR to me so i guess we gotta give Cadet a shot but of course we have Jamal Jackson hes going to be a sophomore, maybe should give him some playing timeWait, I thought Jackson was gonna be a redshirt fresh.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Wait, I thought Jackson was gonna be a redshirt fresh. They redshirted him?

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
They redshirted him?Pretty sure they did. Let me check.

eaglemachine
December 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM

The CAA basically has enough teams to make up 2 conferences shoved into one conference meaning not all teams play each other every year which means a lot of inflated conference and overall records which in turn leads to a disproportionate number of CAA teams in the top 16 making the playoffs. I'm not saying the CAA isn't a good conference. I'm saying I think a conference should not be that big. 2 teams out should help balance things out a bit but 2 more teams are coming in in the next few years and you'll be back where you started.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
The CAA basically has enough teams to make up 2 conferences shoved into one conference meaning not all teams play each other every year which means a lot of inflated conference and overall records which in turn leads to a disproportionate number of CAA teams in the top 16 making the playoffs. I'm not saying the CAA isn't a good conference. I'm saying I think a conference should not be that big. 2 teams out should help balance things out a bit but 2 more teams are coming in in the next few years and you'll be back where you started.

Still not helping, but thanks for trying.

eaglemachine
December 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
So W&M, the 3rd place CAA team, beat the 3rd place Big Sky (the second strongest conference) 38-0 and the MVFC champ 24-3 because they didn't have to play 3 CAA North teams in the regular season? And the only reason the other conferences didn't have 4 quarterfinalists was cause they had to all play each other in the regular season? Gimme some of what you're smoking.

Big Sky 2nd strongest? really? Montana is good in Big Sky but the other teams are not all up to Montana's level...which is why Montana wins the conference every year.

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
They redshirted him?I don't know if he was redshirted or not, but it seems it would only make sense to redshirt him.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Still not helping, but thanks for trying. Wow its so easy to understand hes saying the CAA conference is too big so it has more teams in the playoffs each year

Canyoncat
December 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
EWU must replace 4yr starter at QB (Matt Nichols) but has some very good young receivers and the 2nd leading rusher in Taiwan Jones returning on offense. The defense returns almost everyone on the d-line and linebackers but must replace and/or upgrade at cornerback. The Eags have a winning tradition and will be back next year.

No one is really talking about Montana State in this thread but I think that they will be tough along with Weber State. Montana is a gimme.

In the Big Sky you have to start with Montana. After that it is going to come down between MSU, EWU, WSU and NAU (if they can avoid their late season slump). The conference as a whole is going to be alot tougher next year I think. Each and every team showed signs of improvement over the previous year (2008) except for Weber State who did seem to be as good over all as they were in 2008 and they were still pretty good. Sac State is getting better, Northern Colorado is getting better and even Idaho State showed some improvement with their close game against Montana. The only team that we really won't know anything about is going to be PSU with a new staff coming in.

eaglemachine
December 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Wow its so easy to understand hes saying the CAA conference is too big so it has more teams in the playoffs each year

Thank you.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't know if he was redshirted or not, but it seems it would only make sense to redshirt him. Yeah it would also looking at the recievers, we have some nice redshirt freshman recievers next year like Andrew Peacock, Jamill Lott, and Wes Stringfield, also Dominick Magazu a Junior

Dukie95
Wow its so easy to understand hes saying the CAA conference is too big so it has more teams in the playoffs each year

No, this is what he said:

UNH Fanboi
Big Sky 2nd strongest? really? Montana is good in Big Sky but the other teams are not all up to Montana's level...which is why Montana wins the conference every year.

Sagarin rates the Big Sky as the 2nd best conference this year:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc09.htm

If you have some objective metric that demonstrates why another conference is better, please share.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
No, this is what he said: Meaning because theres more ranked teams in the CAA more playoff teams

Umass74
December 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I've been following the Minutemen for a long, long time. Right now, 2010 looks like a very tough year for UMass. :(

jcmanson
December 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Play all SEC teams, you just aren't getting enough competition in FCS.xcoffeex

xlolx

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I've been following the Minutemen for a long, long time. Right now, 2010 looks like a very tough year for UMass. :(
Every year is tough for UMASS, i feel bad for you lol.

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM

The CAA having 12 teams instead of 8 or 9 does not explain why the CAA had 4 teams in the quarterfinals and no other conference had more than 1. The CAA is only 1/3 bigger than the other conferences and had 4X as many quarterfinalists as any other conference. The CAA gets more teams in the playoffs because it has by far the most depth of any FCS conference.

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM

How does that have any impact on titles (which is what the intial response was directed at)? The Big Sky had three teams in the tournament this year and it was still the ole standby that made it through. The CAA also performs well out of conference every year (both in and out of the playoffs).

I get what you're saying about inclusion in the playoffs, but I can't make the connections between that and titles. ASU won three in a row and it didn't have anything to do with the number of teams from the SoCon, it just had to do with them beating everybody.

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Meaning because theres more ranked teams in the CAA more playoff teams

Still don't get what not having to play all CAA teams has to do with it...but if you want to keep pretending that wasn't part of the original argument, that's fine.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
The CAA having 12 teams instead of 8 or 9 does not explain why the CAA had 4 teams in the quarterfinals and no other conference had more than 1. The CAA is only 1/3 bigger than the other conferences and had 4X as many quarterfinalists. Southern Conference had 2 xrulesx and i wasnt saying that i was clarifying what harrison said

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM

So JMU missed UNH, URI and Northeastern. You're saying that by playing them we would have gotten less votes????

With the way the North is very top heavy most years this is null and VOID. The South is much stronger top to bottom (or at least 5th). Most of the tough games are played with maybe 1 passed each year.

Not that big of a deal but welcomexthumbsupx

Slam another conference when you get some rep...xcoffeex

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Still don't get what not having to play all CAA teams has to do with it...but if you want to keep pretending that wasn't part of the original argument, that's fine.
You cant play all CAA teams there not enough weeks lol...

GannonFan
December 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Oh, then it should be easy to say which of the 4 CAA teams that made the playoffs this year only made it in because of the easy schedule they had. Which team was that again???xrolleyesx

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Southern Conference had 2 xrulesx and i wasnt saying that i was clarifying what harrison said

The quarterfinals are the 2nd round...you had 1xrulesx:)

Native
December 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Montana has a superior program year in and year out, but they are not invulnerable. Last year, the Griz had to share the conference title after losing 45-28 to Weber in Ogden.

Montana is not the only reason the Big Sky vies with the MVFC and SOCON for second-strongest conference every year. This year BSC teams were 9-2 versus FCS out of conference teams in the regular season, a better record than either MVFC or SOCON. Even without Montana, the BSC was 7-2.

GrizDuck

So who has the best "pedigree" in CAA dance-off, VUCats? The Richmond Backstreet Boys? The Villanova sync? Or the JMU Menudo?

89Hen..why don't you convince your AD to come out to Missoula in September for a non-conf game? C'mon...we'll spot ya some money to pay for the stadium upgrades so you'll look better on American Idol

3PeatNation
The quarterfinals are the 2nd round...you had 1xrulesx:)
My bad i thought u said entire playoffs

UNH Fanboi
December 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Southern Conference had 2 xrulesx and i wasnt saying that i was clarifying what harrison said

It was close, but Elon LOST in the 1st round. The SoCon had 1 team in the quarterfinals--ASU.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
My bad i thought u said entire playoffs

Thats why I used a :). No harm

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Darn it...I'm still not getting it despite your best efforts. I'll just go back to my original thought in this thread and let it stand on its own...I thought I had found someone that could finally make it clear why the CAA's imbalanced schedule is a problem.

Until next time, Dukie95 from 10 minutes ago....next time.

4th and What?
December 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You cant play all CAA teams there not enough weeks lol...

Sure you can, just need to count on playing a couple conference teams during the playoffs :D The only way to ensure this plan, is with MORE CAA teams in the playoffs. Come on guys, help us out with our scheduling issues here.

3PeatNation
Darn it...I'm still not getting it despite your best efforts. I'll just go back to my original thought in this thread and let it stand on its own...I thought I had found someone that could finally make it clear why the CAA's imbalanced schedule is a problem.

Until next time. Not the smartest hay in the stack?

JMUNJ08
So who has the best "pedigree" in CAA dance-off, VUCats? The Richmond Backstreet Boys? The Villanova sync? Or the JMU Menudo?

89Hen..why don't you convince your AD to come out to Missoula in September for a non-conf game? C'mon...we'll spot ya some money to pay for the stadium upgrades so you'll look better on American Idol

Can we vote off this So You Think You Can Dance top 20 guy????

Why don't you address my post that states we don't have a pedigree??? Maybe because you can'txeyebrowx

3PeatNation
Sure you can, just need to count on playing a couple conference teams during the playoffs :D The only way to ensure this plan, is with MORE CAA teams in the playoffs. Come on guys, help us out with our scheduling issues here. The CAA is a mess lol

SCBluehen
December 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM

And drop DII West Chester? What fun is that? xlolx

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I believe that App wins the Southern, but who challanges them is anybody guess, Elon put all its effort into winning the Southern, and competing for the National Championship this year. They lost most of their defense, and their best receiver. I don't know if you can replace that many quality players, they still could be a factor, but it is going to tough. The team I feel could knock App off is Samford, there program is being put togeather the right way, and they are getting better every year. If they can keep their coach, they are heading for the playoffs soon.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Can we vote off this So You Think You Can Dance top 20 guy????

Why don't you address my post that states we don't have a pedigree??? Maybe because you can'txeyebrowx[/QUOTE]

JMUNJ08- thank you for asking, because, Yeah, I can.
You won a championship in the 04 sandbox. We'll call that your Marky-Mark year. Now, you didn't go to the playoffs this year, so let's look at the rest of your history to seek the rest of your so-called "pedigree". if you can't remember, I'll provide you with the following link to help
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/17/division-i-football-championship-playoff?blog=5

So, let's start way back in '78 when we started the RIGHT way to award a football championship. Nope..no JMU competing in playoffs back then... Keep looking
79 Nope... 80 uh-uh.... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86...nosireebob (mind you, there have been 3 different Big Sky nat'l champions by this point)
1987 WOW JMU appears on the playoff radar with a 1st round loss.
Nothing in 88, 89, or 90, but you did beat fellow conference member Delaware in 91 in OT for a 1st playoff victory before losing in 2nd round.
92 and 93...no playoffs there.
Early playoff exits in 94, 95, and 99, but no postseason for Dukes in 96, 97, or 98.
Co-member Massachusetts wins first crown for the conference in 98, but the JMU squad is still only known by football fans with a DC MetroRail pass until, WAIT FOR IT....

2004, JMU wins the Championship, but doesn't even make playoffs the next year. The Dukes are then subjected to 1st round losses in 06 and 07, then eliminated by the Griz in 08 after Coach Talley touts them as a slam-dunk bet for a champion.

So, JMUNJ08..does this bulldog have a pedigree? No, it doesn't, the Duke is not pedigreed bulldog. Rather, a mutt which should be swatted with a rolled up newspaper for yelping it cries of pride after it made a mess on the floor for 30 of 32 years.

MacThor
December 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Um, no. This has been refuted so often it's tired. xnonono2x

The in-conference record still nets out to .500, no matter how many teams there are. 5-1 OOC in the playoffs is not explained by the # of teams. The only other conference with a winning OOC record in the playoffs this year is the Big Sky (Griz 3 - Others 2)

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Way to make that post#7 on AGS. If you feel so strongly about how we are "entitled" just say itxcoffeex

Nothing wrong with Talley's statement either. The team had tough games all year and they became a strong battle tested team. McNeese some thought would go deep in the playoffs after beating Appy during the season. UNH, a team that BEAT Nova, destroyed them at their place. He has a point this year...

Go talk to other Griz fans who don't all act out as strongly and are more classy...xcoffeex

We aren't entitled to titles but our conference currently is the toughest in FCS and out recent list of NC appearances show how deep we are. If the BSC got a ton of teams to the 'chip then I bet you would be saying the same things...

JMUNJ08:Can we vote off this So You Think You Can Dance top 20 guy????

Why don't you address my post that states we don't have a pedigree??? Maybe because you can'txeyebrowx

JMUNJ08- thank you for asking, because, Yeah, I can.
You won a championship in the 04 sandbox. We'll call that your Marky-Mark year. Now, you didn't go to the playoffs this year, so let's look at the rest of your history to seek the rest of your so-called "pedigree". if you can't remember, I'll provide you with the following link to help
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/17/division-i-football-championship-playoff?blog=5

So, let's start way back in '78 when we started the RIGHT way to award a football championship. Nope..no JMU competing in playoffs back then... Keep looking
79 Nope... 80 uh-uh.... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86...nosireebob (mind you, there have been 3 different Big Sky nat'l champions by this point)
1987 WOW JMU appears on the playoff radar with a 1st round loss.
Nothing in 88, 89, or 90, but you did beat fellow conference member Delaware in 91 in OT for a 1st playoff victory before losing in 2nd round.
92 and 93...no playoffs there.
Early playoff exits in 94, 95, and 99, but no postseason for Dukes in 96, 97, or 98.
Co-member Massachusetts wins first crown for the conference in 98, but the JMU squad is still only known by football fans with a DC MetroRail pass until, WAIT FOR IT....

2004, JMU wins the Championship, but doesn't even make playoffs the next year. The Dukes are then subjected to 1st round losses in 06 and 07, then eliminated by the Griz in 08 after Coach Talley touts them as a slam-dunk bet for a champion.

So, JMUNJ08..does this bulldog have a pedigree? No, it doesn't, the Duke is not pedigreed bulldog. Rather, a mutt which should be swatted with a rolled up newspaper for yelping it cries of pride after it made a mess on the floor for 30 of 32 years.

I believe I never said we had a pedigree thank you. Your ignorance is through the roof. Look at the highlighted sections above. You are talking about history and I'm talking about this year. Nova has the pedigree of a winner this year: battle tested, experienced, great coaching, strong defense, etc. Can't argue with that.

Most griz fans are knowledgeable enough to read posts before responding. xsmhx

Take it to the smack board or prepare to "forget" your password again as I won't belittle your undefeated team because of you...

PhoenixPhan
December 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I believe that App wins the Southern, but who challanges them is anybody guess, Elon put all its effort into winning the Southern, and competing for the National Championship this year. They lost most of their defense, and their best receiver. I don't know if you can replace that many quality players, they still could be a factor, but it is going to tough. The team I feel could knock App off is Samford, there program is being put togeather the right way, and they are getting better every year. If they can keep their coach, they are heading for the playoffs soon.

I think Elon will be stronger next year after having the experience of playoffs and vying for the SoCon title. Should help them to relax and not overthink it (I hope they prove me right!)
As for the seniors that Elon is losing, yes, it will be hard to replace them. But, many of our top quality defensive players (Joshua Jones, Brandon Ward, Terrell Wilson, Brandon Wiggins) will still be here next year, and we've got others to step up. Even though Hudgins will be missed, it may be to Riddle's benefit to be able to open up and throw to more guys...Mellette, Peterson, Harris, Camp and Jeffcoat could be big for us. Honestly, I'll be more concerned a year from now when we lose our QB. It'll be interesting to see how that goes for App next year, and Elon a year later.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
You said "why don't you address my post". I did. I then backed it up with facts and statistics..and you call me ignorant? Shucks, JMUNJ08, name calling seems better reserved for the smackboard.
You seem to have a self-defeating dichotomy. Do you think a team's pedigree in a one-season criteria? I think it has to show some consistency for multiple seasons.
If the criteria is only one year, what are the Dukes this year?
I just think you hate it when someone bursts your lil CAA bubble with facts... but that's the beauty of a blog.

JMUNJ08
December 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You said "why don't you address my post". I did. I then backed it up with facts and statistics..and you call me ignorant? Shucks, JMUNJ08, name calling seems better reserved for the smackboard.
You seem to have a self-defeating dichotomy. Do you think a team's pedigree in a one-season criteria? I think it has to show some consistency for multiple seasons.
I just think you hate it when someone bursts your lil CAA bubble with facts... but that's the beauty of a blog.

I said we didn't have one and you said we did. That is not addressing my post correctly.

Plus, you can't tell me every 4 years a team has to rebuild its "pedigree." Players only stick around for that long and you have to rebuild or reload. You can choose the word. The programs "history" lasts longer and is a better word for your facts and statistics. Notre Dame has a "history" of winning but no longer a "pedigree."

I don't live in a CAA bubble BTW. I pay attention to other teams as well and don't post in the CAAZone. Only AGS so I can see what other parts of the country have to offer for FCS football.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I said we didn't have one and you said we did. That is not addressing my post correctly.

Plus, you can't tell me every 4 years a team has to rebuild its "pedigree." Players only stick around for that long and you have to rebuild or reload. You can choose the word. The programs "history" lasts longer and is a better word for your facts and statistics. Notre Dame has a "history" of winning but no longer a "pedigree."

I don't live in a CAA bubble BTW. I pay attention to other teams as well and don't post in the CAAZone. Only AGS so I can see what other parts of the country have to offer for FCS football.

That was the most articulate post I've seen from you, JMUNJ08. Did you take a writing class at JMU? Your concepts were made abundantly clear in that post. Feel free to use your bold highlights on your critique of this post if you become flustered again.

I contend that a team doesn't earn a "pedigree" in a season. A pedigree attracts a consistent fan base and a good corps of future recruits. A pedigree gives the coaching staff and players the experience needed to play under pressure and win in the face of adversity. Notre Dame has not seen the best years of late, but I am sure they can still attract talent and fans better than Cincinnati and TCU.

I would differ with you on the 4 year cycle, though. You have to be some kind of unbelievable talent to get consistent playing time for all 4 seasons in college football... especially if there are seniors ahead of you with talent. Matt Nichols and Armanti Edwards are exceptions, but most star athletes enjoy two seasons in the limelight.

While there are ebbs and flows as star quarterbacks come and go, I seem to notice a bigger impact to a program from the departure of a quality coach. the truth is, it's awfully tough to keep a great coach at the FCS level. The schools just can't afford to pay them enough to refuse an offer from an FBS school.

StrikeJMU
December 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Did Daddy beat you or touch you inappropriately? Either way you have a lot of anger directed towards a FCS Football messageboard. You are not cool, stop typing douchey comments and go out and make some real friends.

seattlespider
December 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Did Daddy beat you or touch you inappropriately? Either way you have a lot of anger directed towards a FCS Football messageboard. You are not cool, stop typing douchey comments and go out and make some real friends.

xnodx

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM

No anger toward an FCS football messageboard... just a lack of respect for loudmouths from the Atlantic seaboard. You know, Andy Talley types who believe the sun rises and sets on the perimeters of their meager little worlds.

Whatever happened between my father and I... well, that's better left for a high-dollar therapist or perhaps a well scripted after-school special.
By the way, did you say "douchey"? I didn't think that was a word used outside of gradeschools, but perhaps it's a JMU thing. At any rate, I distinctly detected the smell of vingar and water coming from Harrisonburg, but I mistook it for the sour grapes of failing to make the playoffs.

HenZoneNation
December 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
StrikeJMU....stop bad mouthing the man...he offered to pay for stadium uprgrades
GrizDuck...make the check to cash...I'll send you a private message with my address and I promise I'll hand to KC myself...

xrulesx

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
StrikeJMU....stop bad mouthing the man...he offered to pay for stadium uprgrades
GrizDuck...make the check to cash...I'll send you a private message with my address and I promise I'll hand to KC myself...

xrulesx

I'm OK with that... hope you're not inconvenienced by the out of state check. It may take a couple days to clear

PhoenixPhan
December 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
When did children find their way onto this message board? Some of us are trying to have serious conversation about next season and youre wasting space on here. Grow up already.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
When did children find their way onto this message board? Some of us are trying to have serious conversation about next season and youre wasting space on here. Grow up already.

well, Phoenix...you do have the option of skipping over to the next post

Spiderbone
December 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
That was the most articulate post I've seen from you, JMUNJ08. Did you take a writing class at JMU? Your concepts were made abundantly clear in that post. Feel free to use your bold highlights on your critique of this post if you become flustered again.

I contend that a team doesn't earn a "pedigree" in a season. A pedigree attracts a consistent fan base and a good corps of future recruits. A pedigree gives the coaching staff and players the experience needed to play under pressure and win in the face of adversity. Notre Dame has not seen the best years of late, but I am sure they can still attract talent and fans better than Cincinnati and TCU.

I would differ with you on the 4 year cycle, though. You have to be some kind of unbelievable talent to get consistent playing time for all 4 seasons in college football... especially if there are seniors ahead of you with talent. Matt Nichols and Armanti Edwards are exceptions, but most star athletes enjoy two seasons in the limelight.

While there are ebbs and flows as star quarterbacks come and go, I seem to notice a bigger impact to a program from the departure of a quality coach. the truth is, it's awfully tough to keep a great coach at the FCS level. The schools just can't afford to pay them enough to refuse an offer from an FBS school.

Wow, You are a grade A, Number One Jackassxnonox

PhoenixMan
December 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Lol, I love the people who think we're gonna suck next year. We will be leaps and bounds better than Elon. You know we're only losing 4 starters.

Elon and App will both spend the beginning of the season finding out who they are. Both just lost arguably the best player in their respective histories. App has a lot returning, but the offense has been basically AE for four years, and Elon has relied on Hudgins. We shall see....

Native
December 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Wow, You are a grade A, Number One Jackassxnonox

Wait 'til they start drinkin'. The Griz can be a hoot! xnodx xlolx

bpcats
December 16th, 2009, 02:53 AM
MSU - lose all american DE and RG, and starters at the outside linebacker and TE position.

Get back from injury - our starters going into last season at corner and defensive end position.

Due to injuries and coaches getting our younger guys playing time the only position that won't have a lot of experience returning is at the outside linebacker position and right guard position.

I expect the Cats to finish in the top two in the conference in total defense again. On offense we should finish in the top three in conference in rushing averaging 150 yds per game again. However I think that our leading rusher isn't on the team yet, as the coaches may be looking at a JC transfer or an outstanding freshman recruit.

Our receiving corp should get 2-3star freshman recruit into the starting lineup Gianni Carter this year. Big possession receiver type.

Biggest question will be at the qb position where we will have Cody Kempt coming back and if he can improve at the same rate as he did last year we should be okay there. I do expect some serious competition from true freshman Denarius McGhee from Texas next year. He was quarterback for a Texas 5A school that was ranked #1 in the nation while he was quarterback there.

Watching him during the scrimmages it was easy to see that he had a very instinctive feel for the position. He has a very quick release, strong arm (flick it for a 50yd pass no problem) very accurate, and can run.

He reminds me a lot of Lulay or Montana's Dickinson in the way he plays the game. He has already taken a big leadership role while on the scout team. Just a matter of if he can produce like those qb's did.

If we don't lose our entire dline or other group to injuries, or in the case this year 11 starters to flu we should be competing for a playoff spot as an at large bid.

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM
2010? Not good at all.

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2009/11/what-changes-next-year.html

SalukiJim
December 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Two thoughts from an SIU season ticket holder:

1) The MVFC should tilt Northern Iowa's way next year. SIU loses 23 seniors. SDSU will be in the mix as well.

2) With the new 20-team setup, will there be any thought to changing the automatic qualifiers? The Ohio Valley, while it has been in the playoff mix since the first season, needs to be reconsidered as an automatic-berth league, in my opinion. There are several conferences out west that seem to get the short straw each year, but the OVC - which has not won ONE playoff game since 1996 if my research is correct - gets an automatic bid every year? This year was no exception, Eastern Illinois won the conference bid even though they were mediocre at best. Not just because they lost big time in the first round, but their last home game, where they could have clinched their conference, they laid an egg against the next-to-last team in their conference (TSU), and had to rely on EKU losing to eke into the field.

Anyone have any info on the 2010 20-team layout/process?

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I also learned respect at JMU for others and not bad mouth where they are from. We do have some diversity on the east coast as much as you have pride:D

I will revise my 4 year comment and maybe its only 2 or 3. JMU had the luck of Rascati and then Landers back to back to keep from having a down cycle. We put in a rFr QB this year and still went above .500 which is exactly what JMU fans expected of the season with several other young inexperienced players stepping into larger roles. Ok, but not playoffs. Still, a win vs. UR and we may have snuck in but who cares now.

The coach thing I totally agree. Where is Youngstown St. or GoSo right now? Stuck at .500. With new coaches next year they may right the ship but once proud programs are looking to rebound, not reload. The money definitely is the big thing but only from the BCS conferences. Supposedly, MM has received offers in the past but from mid to low majors. There isn't a big difference there in cash. So where would you rather be? 8-3 every year making 220K and building a legacy or 2-10 making 300K but only around for 4 seasons? London at UR went from 200K to 1.7mil. That cannot be turned down...

Bam
December 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Two thoughts from an SIU season ticket holder:

1) The MVFC should tilt Northern Iowa's way next year. SIU loses 23 seniors. SDSU will be in the mix as well.

2) With the new 20-team setup, will there be any thought to changing the automatic qualifiers? The Ohio Valley, while it has been in the playoff mix since the first season, needs to be reconsidered as an automatic-berth league, in my opinion. There are several conferences out west that seem to get the short straw each year, but the OVC - which has not won ONE playoff game since 1996 if my research is correct - gets an automatic bid every year? This year was no exception, Eastern Illinois won the conference bid even though they were mediocre at best. Not just because they lost big time in the first round, but their last home game, where they could have clinched their conference, they laid an egg against the next-to-last team in their conference (TSU), and had to rely on EKU losing to eke into the field.

Anyone have any info on the 2010 20-team layout/process?

Settle down. EKU (19 PO's appearances & 2 National Championships) & Jax St will both make the PO's next yr. xnodx

89Hen
December 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Just try to remember that schools like Montana, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, App State, McNeese, and Northern Iowa have been whipping you for decades. We might be a little reluctant to feed you the respect which you seem to believe you so richly deserve.

C'mon 89Hen... don't you think that UNI and McNeese have established themselves as a force at the FCs level? Or are you just going to deny them that respect while you listen to your boy-band lyrics echoing from Richmond and JMU?
Take it in context. McNeese and UNI are certainly great programs, but neither have a title and both have been knocked out of the playoffs the last three years (when they've made it) by CAA teams. YSU is more in the dumps than UD right now, they've made the semis once this decade and GSU is not exactly lighting it up. You kinda sound like Redskins fans around here who talk about Super Bowl rings. xcoffeex

McNeese72
December 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Take it in context. McNeese and UNI are certainly great programs, but neither have a title and both have been knocked out of the playoffs the last three years (when they've made it) by CAA teams. YSU is more in the dumps than UD right now, they've made the semis once this decade and GSU is not exactly lighting it up. You kinda sound like Redskins fans around here who talk about Super Bowl rings. xcoffeex

We've made it in twice in the last three years, but only have been knocked out of the playoffs by the CAA once. In fact, we have made the playoffs 4 times since we beat Nova in the semi's in 2002 and have been knocked out in the first round all four times. Three of those were by Big Sky teams. NAU in 2003, Montana in 2006, and EWU in 2007.

Doc

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
We've made it in twice in the last three years, but only have been knocked out of the playoffs by the CAA once. In fact, we have made the playoffs 4 times since we beat Nova in the semi's in 2002 and have been knocked out in the first round all four times. Three of those were by Big Sky teams. NAU in 2003, Montana in 2006, and EWU in 2007.

Doc

So its not the CAA just the playoffs themselvesxlolx

SalukiJim
December 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Settle down. EKU (19 PO's appearances & 2 National Championships) & Jax St will both make the PO's next yr. xnodx

1) I didn't say they don't belong in the playoffs, I was questioning whether they still deserve an automatic bid based on what they've done in the playoffs.
2) Yes, EKU did win 2 national championships. If you look at my post, I said they haven't even won one game in the playoffs in over a decade. If I recall correctly, one of those championships was in '79, the other in the very early 80's. Is that right?
3) Not questioning whether they will make the playoffs - that's my point. They "make" the playoffs but haven't really done anything in a very long time.

Keeping it friendly :) - not bashing, but thinking about how other conferences might deserve a look at an AQ slot.

McNeese72
December 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
So its not the CAA just the playoffs themselvesxlolx

Yes, we have had a tough time in the first round of the playoffs, when we have made it in the last six years.

Doc

Bam
December 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
1) I didn't say they don't belong in the playoffs, I was questioning whether they still deserve an automatic bid based on what they've done in the playoffs.
2) Yes, EKU did win 2 national championships. If you look at my post, I said they haven't even won one game in the playoffs in over a decade. If I recall correctly, one of those championships was in '79, the other in the very early 80's. Is that right?
3) Not questioning whether they will make the playoffs - that's my point. They "make" the playoffs but haven't really done anything in a very long time.

Keeping it friendly :) - not bashing, but thinking about how other conferences might deserve a look at an AQ slot.

I'm cool. xpeacex The OVC does need to begin to prove something in post season play or this could happen? I am just hoping it is just a bump in road & that the OVC will step up & let another conference be the AGS doormat. xeyebrowx

Tribe07
December 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
William & Mary over Montana for the 2010 title (after Montana smokes 'Nova this year). Please?

UNH Fanboi
December 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm cool. xpeacex The OVC does need to begin to prove something in post season play or this could happen? I am just hoping it is just a bump in road & that the OVC will step up & let another conference be the AGS doormat. xeyebrowx

With 4 more playoff spots next year, there will be plenty of doormats.

ngineer
December 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Lehigh has not won an outright league title since 2001. They seem due. xnodx

Lehigh gets Colgate and Fordham at home. Lafayette and HC on the road. Homefield for LU/LC means little imo.

1. Colgate
2. Lehigh
3. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
5. Fordham
6. Buckell
7. Georgetown

Actually, Lehigh will return 10/11 starters on offense, and appear to be returning 8/11 on defense, plus all special teams. In addition, Winnett will return on defense. after missing all of last year with an injury. If Lehigh does not win the PL next year, then, there will likely be major shakeup. Difficult OOC schedule, so winning the League title outright will be necessary to make the playoffs.

Franks Tanks
December 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Actually, Lehigh will return 10/11 starters on offense, and appear to be returning 8/11 on defense, plus all special teams. In addition, Winnett will return on defense. after missing all of last year with an injury. If Lehigh does not win the PL next year, then, there will likely be major shakeup. Difficult OOC schedule, so winning the League title outright will be necessary to make the playoffs.

Lehigh will be 9-2 and win the PL

(same prediction every year)

Bam
December 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
With 4 more playoff spots next year, there will be plenty of doormats.

But when the OVC AQ wins a game in the first rd., all the pundants will say the PO's are now watered down.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Yes, of course the conferences that abide by the rules to earn an automatic bid should continue to earn that bid, regardless of playoff performance.

If you had a beef, it would be with the NCAA rules for conference autobid eligibility. But in reality, you don't have much of a beef until you think through the consequences of of changing the autobid rules.

Bam
December 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Yes, of course the conferences that abide by the rules to earn an automatic bid should continue to earn that bid, regardless of playoff performance.

If you had a beef, it would be with the NCAA rules for conference autobid eligibility. But in reality, you don't have much of a beef until you think through the consequences of of changing the autobid rules.

Yea, that is what I meant to post. xcoolx

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Have you bothered to look up who has what coming back, or you just pulling #s out of your ***?

-W&M loses a lot.
-UMass finished 5-6/3-5, and the 2 deep listed 12 of their 22 starters in their next to last game vs JMU as seniors.

Anyone who thinks UMass is going to contend next year for the NC is clueless.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM

BS- according to the 2 deep for the ASU game, UR loses 7 of 11 starters on defense. How is that returning the majority of their defense? xrolleyesx

And don't tell me, well, we return the majority of the 2 deep. Everyone returns the majority of their 2 deep.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/depth-chart.pdf

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Have you bothered to look up who has what coming back, or you just pulling #s out of your ***?

-W&M loses a lot.
-UMass finished 5-6/3-5, and the 2 deep listed 12 of their 22 starters in their next to last game vs JMU as seniors.

Agree. W&M may be back but 8-3/7-4. UMass may have a real tough year with two extra CAA South games...

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Nova will be odds on to repeat in the CAA. I think the four to watch after them are W&M, JMU, UMass and Delaware.

See my above reply regarding UMass. I'd replace them with Maine. Maine beat them this year, and in the 2 deep game for the JMU game Maine showed 19 of 22 starters as non seniors.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Lol, I love the people who think we're gonna suck next year. We will be leaps and bounds better than Elon. You know we're only losing 4 starters.

Losing 6 starters according to the 2 deep from the Montana game: 2 on offense, Armanti and Acitelli, and 4 on defense: the 2 de tackles, Roman, and Gilbert.

Edit: That said, I think ASU will win the So-Con again and probably be a seed and NC contender next yr.

HenZoneNation
December 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Until Elon shows they can beat Appy...Appy is the team to beat.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Agree. W&M may be back but 8-3/7-4. UMass may have a real tough year with two extra CAA South games...

Here's what the # of starters the game notes show returning for each team in the CAA except for URI and Towson (the majority of these I took from the game notes from the JMU games, W&M, UNH from their playoff game) and their regular season records:

Maine: 19 (6-5/4-4)
UD: 18 (6-5/4-4)
Nova: 15 (10-1/7-1)
JMU: 15 (6-5/4-4)
W&M: 13 (9-2/6-2)
UNH: 11 (9-2/6-2)
UMass: 10 (5-6/3-5)
UR: 8 (10-1/7-1)

W&M & UR are the only 2 that have to break in new starting QBs. As of now, UR is the only one with a new head coach.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The MEAC will get 2 teams into the playoffs one of them finally gets out of the first round. Unfortunately, this will be the last year this happens because Dennis Thomas finally gets his wish and will bring back the Heritage Bowl in 2011 (sponsored by Disney's Wide World of Sports)

Not unless the at large MEAC is 9-2. MEAC team won;t get an At-large at 8-3, even with a 20 team field. I HIGHLY doubt the MEAC will get 2 teams in.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, and that explains why the CAA teams have such limited success in the play off too.xwhistlex

RookieWill
December 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Whitney will enter his 7th year at Nova next year... and Sczur his 6th...

Been there forever. Where is the NCAA checking these things out?xlolx

Lots of rumors that Szczur will NOT return next year as he is projected to be a fairly high pick in the draft (MLB draft that is). If he gets a significant enough bonus, will be tough to turn down.

I believe he was drafted out of HS in the 30-35th round. He is Nova's best baseball player (too)

UAalum72
December 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
2) With the new 20-team setup, will there be any thought to changing the automatic qualifiers? No, the point of the expansion is that every eligible conference which applied would get an autobid.
There are several conferences out west that seem to get the short straw each year, Who? the Pioneer hasn't asked, as far as we know, and the Great West still doesn't have enough teams to be eligible. At-large bids are a different argument.

3PeatNation
December 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Losing 6 starters according to the 2 deep from the Montana game: 2 on offense, Armanti and Acitelli, and 4 on defense: the 2 de tackles, Roman, and Gilbert.

Edit: That said, I think ASU will win the So-Con again and probably be a seed and NC contender next yr. Thanks for the praise but as a App fan i really dont see us being a seed, i'd be happy with a playoff berth at the least i mean come on a new starting QB as well as losing Roman and Gilbert, not looking good

Cocky
December 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM

If we would have been eligble this year we would have ended the streak. But if frogs had wings...

MinuteFan
December 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM

-W&M loses a lot.

I'm a UMass season ticket holder and couldn't agree more. The biggest problem is not returning starters, but lack of a decent QB. They either fish the waters for an FBS transfer or suffer growing pains with a freshman recruit in a "rebuilding" year. If Havens is the starter next year, UMass wins 4-5 games.

Seawolf97
December 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Must have left the dogs in Virginia Nov 21st-didnt see any on Long Island that dayxcoffeex

PhoenixMan
December 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Until Elon shows they can beat Appy...Appy is the team to beat.

I definitely agree. Until we step up and get it done App St. is a clear top team in the SoCon. App St. will be very good again, I think we will we be a good team also. That being said, losing AE is bigger than I think most App fans want to realize. He has been the offense, accounting for over 13,000 yds. and a boat load of points over the last 4 years. Moore is a good coach, and I'm sure they will adjust, but AE only comes along once in a lifetime.

CharlestonAppFan
December 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I definitely agree. Until we step up and get it done App St. is a clear top team in the SoCon. App St. will be very good again, I think we will we be a good team also. That being said, losing AE is bigger than I think most App fans want to realize. He has been the offense, accounting for over 13,000 yds. and a boat load of points over the last 4 years. Moore is a good coach, and I'm sure they will adjust, but AE only comes along once in a lifetime.

Actually, it's closer to 15,000 but who's counting? xbowx xsmiley_wix :D xthumbsupx People said the same thing when Richie left, and AE stepped in. All of us App fans are xprayx it happens a 3rd time

HenZoneNation
December 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
That's a tough one to fill though CharlestonAppfan...I would tend to think, judging by his backups while he was hurt, that you're RB (#20) will be carrying the load. You have to watch out for the QB play...we had great receivers last year but the QB play was so bad not only couldn't we get them the ball we actually had to have our all time leading receiver in catches and a TE whose with the Patriots, play QB. I don't think you'll have that problem, but you never know...helps to have a great back and line. I think you have that.

As far as the UNC question...I'd have to say academics? I hear that Chapel Hill is pretty hard to get into

ASU_Fanatic
December 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
That's a tough one to fill though CharlestonAppfan...I would tend to think, judging by his backups while he was hurt, that you're RB (#20) will be carrying the load. You have to watch out for the QB play...we had great receivers last year but the QB play was so bad not only couldn't we get them the ball we actually had to have our all time leading receiver in catches and a TE whose with the Patriots, play QB. I don't think you'll have that problem, but you never know...helps to have a great back and line. I think you have that.

As far as the UNC question...I'd have to say academics? I hear that Chapel Hill is pretty hard to get into
It is, but who would want to go to that crappy school? Lol, I hate UNC cause I'm a huge Duke Basketball fan.

PhoenixMan
December 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I could be wrong, but I think #20 Moore was a senior. Regardless, App St. will have the talent on hand. Just some adjusting to life without AE and they will probably be ready to kick our butts again (we had our chance this year with Hudgins and at home, next year tougher at the Rock)

charliej
December 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Lots of rumors that Szczur will NOT return next year as he is projected to be a fairly high pick in the draft (MLB draft that is). If he gets a significant enough bonus, will be tough to turn down.

I believe he was drafted out of HS in the 30-35th round. He is Nova's best baseball player (too)

He led the team in runs, hits,on base pct.,stolen bases and batting avg. (.346)..

Gut feeling is he'll be back, but he's weighing all options.

jcmanson
December 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Must have left the dogs in Virginia Nov 21st-didnt see any on Long Island that dayxcoffeex

Read my previous post. I was talking about at home.

JROCK98
December 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I could be wrong, but I think #20 Moore was a senior. Regardless, App St. will have the talent on hand. Just some adjusting to life without AE and they will probably be ready to kick our butts again (we had our chance this year with Hudgins and at home, next year tougher at the Rock)

Moore received a medical redshirt in 2008 so he will be back next year. On offense ASU will lose AE, 1 starting OL, 1 reserve OL and 1 reserve WR.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM

With 13-15 starters and lots of experience returning, the Wildcats could surpass not only 2009, but also their more spectacular 2008 performance in which WSU beat Top 10 Montana 45-28 at home and #3 Cal Poly 49-35 on the road.

Most of the starters return on on offense, inclusing QB Cameron Higgins and NFL-bound WR Mike Phillips. More importantly, most of a young offensive line which had to step up after injuries to the veterans will return with experience and another year to grow into their frames. Pre-season all-American TE Cody Nakamura should also return for a sixth and final campaign after receiving an early season-ending injury.

On defense a squad from which little was expected at the start if the season finished as the #1 scoring defense in the Big Sky and returns most of its starters as well.

Native, I was looking at the game notes of the W&M vs Weber game and it showed Weber with 5 senior starters on offense, including 3 on the OL.

ODU12thMan
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Surprised to see you making the trip out East to play ODU next year. It seems like a very risky game to schedule. Foreman Field will be rocking as a big player in the I-AA comes to town. Hope you do not pull out like I heard Cal-Poly might.
Go Blue.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Native, I was looking at the game notes of the W&M vs Weber game and it showed Weber with 5 senior starters on offense, including 3 on the OL.

I looked at the participation report from the game statistics which showed only four seniors, including two linemen:

WR 81 Tim Toone SR
OL 72 Caleb Turner So
OL 65 Cameron Molifua SR
TE 83 Kevin Halfhill Jr
OL 73 J.C. Oram So
OL 78 Nestor Cruz SR
TE 82 Tyrl. Francisco Jr
WR 1 Mike Phillips Jr
QB 12 Cameron Higgins Jr
RB 25 Trevyn Smith SR
LG 76 Tim Farabee So

The three underclassman o-linemen are bolded. The third senior offensive lineman would have been all-American Kyle Mutcher, but he was injured.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I looked at the participation report from the game statistics which showed only four seniors, including two linemen:

WR 81 Tim Toone SR
OL 72 Caleb Turner So
OL 65 Cameron Molifua SR
TE 83 Kevin Halfhill Jr
OL 73 J.C. Oram So
OL 78 Nestor Cruz SR
TE 82 Tyrl. Francisco Jr
WR 1 Mike Phillips Jr
QB 12 Cameron Higgins Jr
RB 25 Trevyn Smith SR
LG 76 Tim Farabee So

The three underclassman o-linemen are bolded. The third senior offensive lineman would have been all-American Kyle Mutcher, but he was injured.

Yep, that's what the game notes showed.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Yep, that's what the game notes showed.

Kyle fought nagging injuries most of the season. So that leaves the three sophomores returning for 2010 who started much of the season:

73 Oram, J.C. OG 6-4 280 So. (2-yr starter, 2-yr all-conference)
76 Farabee, Tim OG 6-5 285 So.
72 Turner, Caleb OT 6-4 270 So.

...and three more underclassmen who got significant playing time:
70 Timoteo, Tytan OG 6-2 300 Fr.
56 Levale, Alofaifo OG 6-2 300 RFr.
64 Rangasan, Spencer C 6-0 280 Fr.

SalukiJim
December 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Agreed - I really don't have a "beef", just asking about the way the AQ's are determined, and if they ever review those. Or, if it's "once your conference gets an AQ, it stays that way forever"...

tribefan40
December 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM

-W&M loses a lot.

W&M is losing a lot of talent but look at who we are returning... our defense still has 2 all-caa performers with big-game experience from this year plus our entire stable of running backs. Grimes is going to be a beast in '10 not to mention we return 3 of our top five WR's. QB is a question mark but we are a QB factory - we'll fill the gaps and still be a force in '10. JMU should be ready to step up next year, should be fun!

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM

-W&M loses a lot.

W&M will have a very good offensive line next year, and the defensive front, while surely a notch below the 2009 group, will still be among the best in the CAA. There are five guys who were part of the DL rotation returning, and the top five LBs, and top 3 CBs return. Mike Stover, who wasn't a starter at DT until Harold Robertson was hurt against UR, showed his ability against Villanova with 11 tackles, 3 TFL and a sack. The hallmark of the defensive front in '09 was that no matter which of the eight guys were in, the level of play never seemed to drop off.

EKUSteve
December 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM

No, the OVC has not done anything in a long time. EKU's last team with a chance to win it all was in 94 where we lost to Youngstown St 18 - 15 in the quarters.

I have a feeling that is about to change, at least for EKU. Even though we had a rough year, we showed promise. EKU had 60 Fr, RSFr and So and RsSo on the team this year. I think Coach Hood is starting to build to where EKU will not only be a conference contender, but a potential player on the national level again.

From all I saw, there was no thought of changing the AB rules except to add teh two new AQ conferences and the two AL bids.

We'll learn a lot about our team playing at Missouri St and at Chattanooga early next year.

SalukiJim
December 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
No, the OVC has not done anything in a long time. EKU's last team with a chance to win it all was in 94 where we lost to Youngstown St 18 - 15 in the quarters.

I have a feeling that is about to change, at least for EKU. Even though we had a rough year, we showed promise. EKU had 60 Fr, RSFr and So and RsSo on the team this year. I think Coach Hood is starting to build to where EKU will not only be a conference contender, but a potential player on the national level again.

From all I saw, there was no thought of changing the AB rules except to add teh two new AQ conferences and the two AL bids.

We'll learn a lot about our team playing at Missouri St and at Chattanooga early next year.

Truthfully I was rooting for you guys vs. Jax St., because of the way Eastern IL looked so shabby in that Thursday night game vs. Tenn St. I knew it would be a beat down if EIU got in, and had to play at Carbondale...I mean, a chance to clinch your conference, at home, and they laid an egg like that? Yeeesh!