PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel's offense in 2010

kdinva
December 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Help me here. I've heard 2nd hand that Coach Higgins is thinking (repeat: thinkingxreadx) about running some sort of option offense in 2010, maybe similar to Navy and/or VMI and/or Wofford (maybe throw in GSU in the mix?). Any news from the LowCountry?xcoffeex

ngineer
December 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Help me here. I've heard 2nd hand that Coach Higgins is thinking (repeat: thinkingxreadx) about running some sort of option offense in 2010, maybe similar to Navy and/or VMI and/or Wofford (maybe throw in GSU in the mix?). Any news from the LowCountry?xcoffeex

Wow. That would be taking a different tack! If so, would that mean Cecchini is out the door, as he's always been more of a 'pro-style' passing attack guy...xeekx

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ha, I don't see it happening but I love watching those option offenses! However, Citadel has produced a guy who will probably be a third round pick in the draft (Andre Roberts) so if they can produce guys like that why change?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
If Higgins thinks he can run that offense, then I think I'd go for it. Not a whole lot to lose. They are losing possibly the best NFL prospect the FCS has and what they have at QB under Blanchard is not overly impressive. The game between GSU and The Citadel this year (Blanchard didn't play) was possibly the most boring game I have ever seen. It had the fewest total points scored of any game in the history of Paulson Stadium.

Libertine
December 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Blanchard isn't coming back.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/dec/04/blanchard-wont-return-for-fifth-year/

CID1990
December 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
The rumor is... (or at least one of them is) ... that we will likely still use the spread, but that it will be augmented by an option formation that the spread option is actually derived from. I'll give a hint.... take the two inside receivers (in the balanced spread formation) and move them back into the backfield, even with what is now the fullback. Put the QB under center. Remember that the halfbacks line up even with the fullback, not a yard ahead of him.

Personally, I don't think Ceccini will be gone, because we will still be running the pass out of this formation as well as the spread option. I don't care for this lack of a central theme, but if the rumors are true and it happens, it is because we have a lot of athletes on that side of the ball and need to get them in the game. Next year we will have 4 running backs, any one of whom could start. PLus we will have Starks at QB most likely, unless we get the kid from Airport HS and he takes Starks' job. BTW the kid from Airport is a dual threat spread QB, so our recruiting is not matching up with the idea that we could scrap the spread.

We had a lot of issues this year, not the least of which was the injury bug. We'll be better off next year if we stay healthy. Blanchard was a total non-factor this year. The few games that we won, we won them with our backups. If not for our defense falling apart, we also would have chalked up a win against Chatty with a true freshman.

What we really need is more defense. The offense will be fine.