PDA

View Full Version : Missoula in 2013

Appattk
December 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I wasn't able to make the game this year, but the one in 2013 looks all but 90% certain.

The game looked like a blast of an atmosphere and the entire area around Missoula is just beckoning this old NC mountainboy to be explored.

To those Mountaineer fans that made it, What would you recommend to do?

To the Griz fans, if we were making a week vacation of the trip what else is there to do in the area?

It's never too early to start planning!

Poker Alan
December 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I wasn't able to make the game this year, but the one in 2013 looks all but 90% certain.

The game looked like a blast of an atmosphere and the entire area around Missoula is just beckoning this old NC mountainboy to be explored.

To the Griz fans, if we were making a week vacation of the trip what else is there to do in the area?

Take a couple days and drive to Glacier National Park and around northwest Montana, Flathead lake, etc... if you like river-rafting, there are some quality places to do that close, tons of camping, fishing, even some decent golf courses if you like to swing the sticks. You will want to hit the downtown bar scene on the Friday night before the game. I will try to add more suggestions as I think of them...

Squealofthepig
December 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It really depends on how much time you want to spend in the area. As Poker Alan says, a drive up to Glacier is highly recommended - but keep in mind most Missoulians, being Montanans, think of Glacier as being a short drive away, when it's a couple of hours. but a great drive up alongside the Mission Mountains (bordering the immense Bob Marshall wilderness), Flathead Lake, etc. If you're a hiker, drop me a line, can recommend several great hikes from short ones to as many miles as you can hike in a day.

Going the other way, you can also go through Bozeman and head south to Yellowstone National park.

If you want to avoid National Parks, the whole area SW of Missoula, along the continental divide, has amazing hiking and sightseeing. Kinda like Boone - lots of great hidden places if you want to hike a bit to the secret areas, and if you ask around a bit in small bergs like Wisdom, people WILL recommend nifty places to hike. (Trout fishing.. OK, that's a bit harder to finagle...)

Other outdoorsy options:
National Bison Range, north and west of Missoula near Moiese. Ever want to find out how much a full grown bison dwarfs your Jeep in a direct size comparison? Here's your chance.

Hot Springs - a bit touristy, maybe, but some great hot springs (as the name would imply).

The Chinese Wall - for the serious hiker, the Bob Marshall wilderness has the most amazing section of the continental divide, with a thousand foot cliff stretching for something like 11 miles. It's a popular destination (by Montana standards) and you'll need to be in shape AND know how to hike and camp in grizzly bear country, but always worth mentioning.

For less athletic endeavors - The Rhino in Missoula is well-recommended (though most of the area bars are actually very accomodating). The Big Sky Brewery is worth a stop, too - free samples on tap to boot. And for a bit of feel for the college atmosphere, be sure to visit Rockin' Rudy's, hike the M, and get a picture on campus underneath the griz with the M and the administrative building in the shot.

(And finally, if you're a geology buff, pick up a local copy of the book about Glacial Lake Missoula, which formed and reformed several times, covering most of Montana and ultimately being responsible for the Columbia River Gorge; you can see some of the ancient lake shoreline clearly etched out on Mount Jumbo (it's the mountain with the L on it).

THE GRIZ FAN
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM
i agree with them guys ive lived in missoula all my life and theres lots to do outdoors and enjoy the beautiful state!

Zangzigger
December 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I can't even figure out what I'm doing tomorrow, let alone planning a trip in 2013!

Torgo
December 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Most of the stuff to do around town is outdoors related, so be prepared with hiking boots and jackets. Glacier is an absolute must, the Going to the Sun Road is the most scenic road in North America and hiking there is absolutely phenomenal. The Bison Range is pretty cool too and is only about an hour from Missoula (you'll get better and closer views at Yellowstone, but that's a good 5 hours from Missoula with clear weather...still well worth the trip there, however). There's great hiking just about anywhere you go, even in Missoula's backyard (the Rattlesnake has some very nice hikes and is about a 10 minute drive from Wa-Griz). Hiking the 'M' is a must too, of course.

In the city there's a bunch of nice shops and places to visit. To me the best attraction are the breweries though. Big Sky, Bayern, and Kettlehouse are all well worth a visit and make some great beers...get used to drinking Moose Drool. As for the bars...its kinda hard to say so far in advance since those things tend to change. I don't see the Rhino going anywhere, or its wide selection falling either. Most bars in town are great, the only place I actively avoid is Stockman's.

Likewise, if I'm back in the East Coast I'm hoping to make it to Boone in 2012.

AppAlum96
December 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
It really depends on how much time you want to spend in the area. As Poker Alan says, a drive up to Glacier is highly recommended - but keep in mind most Missoulians, being Montanans, think of Glacier as being a short drive away, when it's a couple of hours. but a great drive up alongside the Mission Mountains (bordering the immense Bob Marshall wilderness), Flathead Lake, etc. If you're a hiker, drop me a line, can recommend several great hikes from short ones to as many miles as you can hike in a day.

Going the other way, you can also go through Bozeman and head south to Yellowstone National park.

If you want to avoid National Parks, the whole area SW of Missoula, along the continental divide, has amazing hiking and sightseeing. Kinda like Boone - lots of great hidden places if you want to hike a bit to the secret areas, and if you ask around a bit in small bergs like Wisdom, people WILL recommend nifty places to hike. (Trout fishing.. OK, that's a bit harder to finagle...)

Other outdoorsy options:
National Bison Range, north and west of Missoula near Moiese. Ever want to find out how much a full grown bison dwarfs your Jeep in a direct size comparison? Here's your chance.

Hot Springs - a bit touristy, maybe, but some great hot springs (as the name would imply).

The Chinese Wall - for the serious hiker, the Bob Marshall wilderness has the most amazing section of the continental divide, with a thousand foot cliff stretching for something like 11 miles. It's a popular destination (by Montana standards) and you'll need to be in shape AND know how to hike and camp in grizzly bear country, but always worth mentioning.

For less athletic endeavors - The Rhino in Missoula is well-recommended (though most of the area bars are actually very accomodating). The Big Sky Brewery is worth a stop, too - free samples on tap to boot. And for a bit of feel for the college atmosphere, be sure to visit Rockin' Rudy's, hike the M, and get a picture on campus underneath the griz with the M and the administrative building in the shot.

(And finally, if you're a geology buff, pick up a local copy of the book about Glacial Lake Missoula, which formed and reformed several times, covering most of Montana and ultimately being responsible for the Columbia River Gorge; you can see some of the ancient lake shoreline clearly etched out on Mount Jumbo (it's the mountain with the L on it).

After seeing it on TV, Missoula looks like my kind of place. If I'm still living in SoCal in 2013, I may have to make a trip of it. I've only been to Montana once, and I dug it then. I've read about Lake Missoula and have always wanted to check out the area. Looks like a 20 hour drive from here. I've done more than that in a day. Straight shot, too. Just take I-15 practically the whole way.

ASUG8
December 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
The world will end in December 2012, so we'll only have the "home" part of the "home/home" experience. :D

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Wait until 2013 to plan the trip. Missoula might be too hot with global warming and all by then.............

Grizaholic17
December 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Wait until 2013 to plan the trip. Missoula might be too hot with global warming and all by then.............

Seeing as how the game must be in the early part of the season, it will most likely already be 80+ degrees and dry and beautiful weather.