PDA

View Full Version : Official National Championship Game Preview Thread Part Deux Villanova vs. Montana

Pages : [1] 2

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Let's do this the right way, who do you think will win and why

Dblue
December 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Two good teams, slight edge to Nova.
I don't think Reynolds for Montana runs for nearly 200.

fltheadgriz
December 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Special teams will play a big factor in this game and that edge goes to Montana

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Mariani had 39 total yards and we still won yesterday. This team is much more than just Reynolds and Mariani. Little too much for Nova, 28-24 Griz.

Shellin
December 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Personally, I feel like this game will be a close Montana victory. After watching Nova's 3-3-5 constant blitz defense and hearing some CAA/Nova posters talking about it I feel like Montana's offense matches up fairly well against them. They will be the best defense we've faced this season but I can't imagine Selle having another game like he did against App State. I would assume that Nova is going to key on stopping Reynolds and wouldn't be surprised if they are quite effective at doing so, but I think that will leave some shorter routes open (which is something we really exploited in some games this year, notably SDSU and SFA).

On the other side of the ball I am a little worried about Villanova's rushing game, although we have struggled more so against the pass than the run this season. Appalachian State's offense is better than Nova's in my opinion and we did a good job holding them in the red zone and making them work for their yardage, we didn't give up very many big gains. To beat Villanova I feel like we'll have to perform similarly well, not giving up big plays and not turning the ball over. I believe both of those things will happen and our offense manages to score just enough points to in, something like a 24-21 Montana victory.

TokyoGriz
December 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Really think that montana has gone through the harder bracket to get to the championship.

This year just feels like the year of destiny for the griz. The momentum will carry us all the way.

Griz by 14.

jlcharles
December 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
No one wins by 14. You're out of your damn mind. Game is won by less than 7. Probably 24-21.

Poker Alan
December 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I predict Montana 27-24, Chase will certainly not run for as much as he did against ASU, but Selle & the receiving corps (ESPECIALLY the tight ends) will have a better game. Probably one big play per each team for a score, and some tough D exhibited through out.

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I went with Montana because they have more championship game experience and because they just look better. I have only seen each of the two teams once and Montana just looks bigger and more athletic. I don't know if that's true because I didn't see them on the same field, haven't seen heights and weights on their depth charts, and haven't measured their "athleticism." But just in watching those two games I came away with the informal impression that Montana just has better players overall.

Of course I realize that might be wrong because Villanova was playing a team that beat Virginia 26-14, shut out Weber State, and held Southern Illinois to 3. And I won't be shocked if, when the two play, Villanova comes off looking a lot more athletic to me than they did in the semifinal. But right now just my gut feeling after having watched them both in the semis is that if I had to bet straight up I'd bet on Montana.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Really think that montana has gone through the harder bracket to get to the championship.

This year just feels like the year of destiny for the griz. The momentum will carry us all the way.

Griz by 14.

I would say that the brackets were just about even.. UNH was about even with SDSU (they just couldn't get footing against us) HC was probably better than SFA and W&M and App St. were about equal.

As for Villanova throwing the ball, if you really really stop us from running we can throw the ball. Whitney has thrown for 200 yards three times this season (only three times he's needed to) Temple completely shut down our running game but Whitney threw for 270 yards and led us to the win. The only teams that have shut down our running game (Temple and Penn) have had awesome run stuffing nose tackles.

Ivytalk
December 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Nova by 4.xcoolx

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Really think that montana has gone through the harder bracket to get to the championship..

I don't know about Brackets but I think that the overall difficulty levels experienced by the two teams in terms of who they played were pretty close. I think Montana probably had a harder first round game. But in the second round I think they had a much easier one. I know Villanova trounced New Hampshire and I believe McNeese was capable of a lot better showing against the Wildcats but I have very little doubt that New Hampshire was a lot better than Stephen F. Austin was. Remember, New Hampshire did beat Villanova during the regular season.

And you can tell by William & Mary's results that that was a very tough squad with a very good defense. I think it's pretty safe to say that Villanova faced a much better defense in William & Mary's than any defense Montana faced through the first three rounds. I mean, you're familiar with Weber State and they did hold Weber State to 9 first downs, 161 total yards, and 0 points. Then they held Southern Illinois to 11 first downs, 187 total yards, and 3 points. Clearly, that was a really good defense. I wouldn't assume Appalachian State would have beaten William & Mary if the two had played.

I know you said "bracket" but I think the brackets were pretty comparable too. William & Mary and Southern Illinois were very good teams. New Hampshire wasn't bad either.

VUCats02
December 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You better keep an eye on number 4 Montana fans :)

kdinva
December 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
A side-step to the subject thread:

What is the over/under for each school's fans attending?xcoffeex

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2009, 06:14 PM
You better keep an eye on number 4 Montana fans :)

I realize it could be a function of how good William & Mary's defense is but that guy really didn't look very scintillating to me. A good player. A solid player. But didn't look to me like somebody who should strike fear into the hearts of opponents. Didn't look that fast and didn't look that elusive either.

Frankly, in watching the two games, the player that surprised me most and who looks most dangerous on either team is Montana's running back...that Reynolds guy.

Rekdiver
December 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I reall hate to say this ...but if the conditions are like they were in the Nova/UNH game Montana will crush Nova........

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I realize it could be a function of how good William & Mary's defense is but that guy really didn't look very scintillating to me. A good player. A solid player. But didn't look to me like somebody who should strike fear into the hearts of opponents. Didn't look that fast and didn't look that elusive either.

Frankly, in watching the two games, the player that surprised me most and who looks most dangerous on either team is Montana's running back...that Reynolds guy.

Did You see the 62 yard touchdown run where he ran into the endzone untouched against? or the fake punt? Ask any CAA team about how scintillating he is. As for striking fear into opponents.. No team has kicked it deep to him since early in the season.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Did You see the 62 yard touchdown run where he ran into the endzone untouched against? or the fake punt? Ask any CAA team about how scintillating he is. As for striking fear into opponents.. No team has kicked it deep to him since early in the season.

Well the thing about that 62 yard touchdown was it was just a good play call on a blitz that went on the opposite side, combined with top notch blocking. There wasn't really anyone over there to touch him at all. However I agree about the kick returns. I would not advise kicking to him. He's got some breakaway speed and that's enough to bust out a play when you have good blocking in front of you.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Both Montana and Villanova are legit and have faced down excellent playoff competition. The final four probably really are the best four in the country and showed it through the semi-finals.

Both finalists appear to be peaking at just the right time. This year's Montana team is better than last year's Grizzly squad, with more depth and fewer weaknesses. Likewise, Villanova is probably on a par or perhaps a bit stronger than last year's Richmond team.

Considering last year's national championship playoff experience I give Montana the edge.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
...As for Villanova throwing the ball, if you really really stop us from running we can throw the ball. Whitney has thrown for 200 yards three times this season (only three times he's needed to) Temple completely shut down our running game but Whitney threw for 270 yards and led us to the win. The only teams that have shut down our running game (Temple and Penn) have had awesome run stuffing nose tackles.

Montana may or may not shut down the Villanova running game, but either way, it would be a mistake to think that the Grizzly pass defense would provide the same easy opportunities for the Wildcats as did Penn and Temple.

jlcharles
December 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM

CAA Offensive and Special Teams player of the year.

LacesOut
December 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Nova!!!!!!

charliej
December 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM

The thing about Szczur is, you have to watch him every play. He's rushed,returned, caught and thrown for TD's.

He's suprisingly fast too, Great W&M D plus the slick field conditions, both may have given you that impression if that's all you saw of him this year.

Not sure why he didn't get more touches on Fri, but he made them count.xnodx

I'll take Nova by 7 or less.

lsu2469
December 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have the match ups for the two teams, like the size of the offensive and defensive lines (height,weight,year, etc)?

Zangzigger
December 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Villanova

JohnStOnge
December 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Yes I saw those things. In fact I just watched them again on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2-aqxnl9g . Basically in all those plays including a kickoff return where they did kick deep to him and he returned it to a little past midfield he just kind of ran a straight line. On the kick return he just ran straight up the middle and the wedge did a good job. Nothing spectacular. Good execution overall by the Villanova kick return team. On the long TD run it just broke wide open and he ran for a TD. It did look like he was a little faster than the safety #6 but, again, nothing spectacular. The most impressive thing about that play was the blocking at the point of attack. Also I think the W&M defensive in on that side messed up by crashing inside on the play. But either way #4 didn't have to make anybody miss or break a tackle or anything. With the reverse another well executed play overall. Nothing all that spectacular by the guy running the football. He just kind of ran around the end then ran out of bounds. It's not like he had to do anything dramatic to get to that point.

I realize he might've done some things during the season such that if I saw them I'd change my mind. But in that game he did nothing spectacular. I didn't see him like making people miss or breaking tackles...making yards when by all rights he shouldn't have made them...like I saw that back from Montana doing. He's looks to be plenty fast enough but not extremely fast so that he'd strike fear into people. Not in that game anyway.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
The thing about Szczur is, you have to watch him every play. He's rushed,returned, caught and thrown for TD's.

He's suprisingly fast too, Great W&M D plus the slick field conditions, both may have given you that impression if that's all you saw of him this year.

Not sure why he didn't get more touches on Fri, but he made them count.xnodx

I'll take Nova by 7 or less.

Yeah, that run on ESPN's highlights showed his speed. Impressive

SpidersSportsEditor
December 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I am taking Villanova to win a close game. This very much resembles last year's game in my opinion, and I think the outcome will be the same.

For one, I think Villanova's run defense will be able to stop Chase Reynolds more effectively than App State did. They don't have to shut him down completely, they just have to limit him and force UM to the air. On the other hand, I think Villanova will have at least as much success as App State did moving the ball on the ground because the weather will be more conducive and they are just a solid run team.

Secondly, I think Sczcur and Mariani cancel each other out in a lot of ways. Both are explosive on offense and big weapons on special teams, but I think they are about even in terms of skill set and ability to make plays. Therefore, no advantage either way.

I think Villanova has the advantage in terms of winning big games this season. They came into Richmond and beat #1, they beat William & Mary twice and they avenged their only loss with a convincing win against UNH. Montana obviously had a huge win over Appy and you can't diss them for their weaker playoff opponents before that, but all of that has come at home. Now they have to travel and see if they can do it in Chatty.

I expect a very good, close game. Montana players will not want to lose on their second-straight trip to Chatty, but I think Villanova has the better team. Safe travels to both teams and their fans, and if you stay at the Days Inn near the stadium, lock your doors before you go to the stadium xsmiley_wix

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I think Montana is gonna win cause I think Montana is the better team.

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am taking Villanova to win a close game. This very much resembles last year's game in my opinion, and I think the outcome will be the same.

For one, I think Villanova's run defense will be able to stop Chase Reynolds more effectively than App State did. They don't have to shut him down completely, they just have to limit him and force UM to the air. On the other hand, I think Villanova will have at least as much success as App State did moving the ball on the ground because the weather will be more conducive and they are just a solid run team.

Secondly, I think Sczcur and Mariani cancel each other out in a lot of ways. Both are explosive on offense and big weapons on special teams, but I think they are about even in terms of skill set and ability to make plays. Therefore, no advantage either way.

I think Villanova has the advantage in terms of winning big games this season. They came into Richmond and beat #1, they beat William & Mary twice and they avenged their only loss with a convincing win against UNH. Montana obviously had a huge win over Appy and you can't diss them for their weaker playoff opponents before that, but all of that has come at home. Now they have to travel and see if they can do it in Chatty.

I expect a very good, close game. Montana players will not want to lose on their second-straight trip to Chatty, but I think Villanova has the better team. Safe travels to both teams and their fans, and if you stay at the Days Inn near the stadium, lock your doors before you go to the stadium xsmiley_wix

SPIDERMAN....VERAH NICE POST....NO CRAP...JES' GOOD INSIGHT & REASONIN'.....AH'M IN AGREEMENT TO ALL YA MENTIONED.......DON'T KNOW WHO HAS DUH BETTERAH TEAM...RIGHT NOW....AS MONTANA LOOKS TA BE PEAKIN'.....'NOVA'S BODY UH WORK DIS SEASON....IS AMAZIN'.......AH'M GOIN' WHIFF 'NOVA.....'CAUSE I DRINK KOOL-AID.........xprost2x......BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The best way to describe Matt Szczur: He's a poor man's Percy Harvin.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I thought we would win in 04 easily and we didn't. I thought we would win in 08 and didn't. So I'm going to reverse psychology myself and think Nova is going to win. Doesn't hurt that I had Nova #1 in my poll every week. This game will be a good one in any case.

VUCats02
December 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Obviously all Richmond fans think 'Nova is the better team and all App St. fans think Montana is the better team :-P

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Obviously all Richmond fans think 'Nova is the better team and all App St. fans think Montana is the better team :-P

We lost to Villanova ... and we lost to ASU ... who lost to Montana ... so it really doesn't matter.

I do like VU to win. Too much balance on offense and rock solid on defense.

Whitney > Selle

VUCats02
December 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
That's true I guess. I was thinking that Richmond fans have 'nova's back because of the CAA factor, and app state fans have montana's back because of the fcs powerhouse factor and the respect those two programs have for each other.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
We lost to Villanova ... and we lost to ASU ... who lost to Montana ... so it really doesn't matter.

Whitney > Selle

Selle has a nasty habit of sucking here and there, and being lights out otherwise. Depends on which one shows up in Chattanooga, and for how long

Poker Alan
December 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Whitney > Selle

I agree with the bolded part, just like AE was better than Selle on Saturday, but...

Montana > Villanova **

**homer pick and because it really appears Montana is peaking at the right time and on a mission to redeem their loss from last year's NC.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah Selle's a hell of a quarterback when he's playing like he did 2nd half of SDSU and against SFA. But ASU keyed in to shutting down Mariani, and so we went to the run. Also, there's a lot of talk about Nova's balance on offense, but Montana's really got the most balanced one. 26th in rushing, 14th in passing, while Nova's 4th in rushing and 103rd in passing. I feel like if Montana concentrates on stopping the run first, we'll do okay on defense putting people in man coverage. On the other hand, it's been the case all season that if you stop Reynolds, Mariani busts a huge one and if you try to blanket Mariani, Chase pounds it up the middle all day long. It'll be interesting to see how Nova deals with that dual threat.

Native
December 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah Selle's a hell of a quarterback when he's playing like he did 2nd half of SDSU and against SFA. But ASU keyed in to shutting down Mariani, and so we went to the run. Also, there's a lot of talk about Nova's balance on offense, but Montana's really got the most balanced one. 26th in rushing, 14th in passing, while Nova's 4th in rushing and 103rd in passing. I feel like if Montana concentrates on stopping the run first, we'll do okay on defense putting people in man coverage. On the other hand, it's been the case all season that if you stop Reynolds, Mariani busts a huge one and if you try to blanket Mariani, Chase pounds it up the middle all day long. It'll be interesting to see how Nova deals with that dual threat.

Montana has more than one receiver and more than one running back! TBF had his way with the ASU defense, and Sambrano's TD reception was an awesome feat of athleticism!

I think the weather hurt both the Montana and App State offenses yesterday, and that Selle will do just fine if the predicted fair weather holds for this Friday in Chattanooga.

blur2005
December 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I thought we would win in 04 easily and we didn't. I thought we would win in 08 and didn't. So I'm going to reverse psychology myself and think Nova is going to win. Doesn't hurt that I had Nova #1 in my poll every week. This game will be a good one in any case.
Yeah, never underestimate your opponent...;)

Anyway, I'm going with Villanova because I don't see Reynolds rushing for even 100 against the Wildcats defense. With the game more in Selle's hands, I think he'll make one too many mistakes, perhaps give 'Nova a short field a couple times. I'm thinking the scoreline will be similar to the Montana-App State one, probably something like 21-17.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Montana has more than one receiver and more than one running back! TBF had his way with the ASU defense, and Sambrano's TD reception was an awesome feat of athleticism!

I think the weather hurt both the Montana and App State offenses yesterday, and that Selle will do just fine if the predicted fair weather holds for this Friday in Chattanooga.

Oh I know, that's for sure. Our TE's our a very valuable asset in the passing game and our receivers can all play. But the focus is always on Mariani. And he opens up the opportunities for the other receivers. And TBF is great as well, but he mostly just steps in for a couple drives and runs pretty much just like Chase.

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I don't understand why people keep thinking Whitney is better than Selle. Whitney has only thrown for 1800 yards while Selle is almost at 2700 yards while splitting time for the first 12 games. Selle's td percentage is 7.7% and Whitney's is 7.3%. Selle's int percentage is 1.9% and Whitney's is 1.3% Those two stats are basically a wash, but Selle holds the advantage in QB efficiency at 153.78 compared to 150.13. That and Selle has led a 27 point comeback, and a forth quarter drive in the biggest moment in his football career capping the drive off with the best pass in Grizzly history.

Edge: Montana

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Alright here's my attempt at a breakdown:

OFFENSE:

QB- Both top ten in the nation in efficiency, and both were higher up before their lackluster performances in the semis. Selle's got more numbers in the air, Whitney's got more numbers on the ground. Balances out pretty even. Push.

RB- Chase Reynolds is a standout, big-name, big-time player for the Griz, and it really doesn't seem like Nova has a single back that can match up to him. I know they spread the ball out more in their run game, but between Chase and his excellent backup Thomas Brooks-Fletcher, this is a pretty easy call. Griz.

OL- It'd be easy on paper to give this to the Griz, as their line is way bigger than Nova's. Add that to their domination of the App defense last week, and they're looking pretty good. But 168 yards on W&M's run defense counts for a lot too. Push.

WR/TE- Nova's receiving corps is solid, maybe great, but despite Szczur's playmaking ability, they just don't come in as a WR in the same vein as Mariani. He's the definition of a big-play wideout, and the game against ASU showed that other receivers on the Griz side can come up big in crunch time. Add two very big, talented, and well-utilized TE's and it's tough not to give this to the Griz. Griz.

DEFENSE:

DL- Nova has a slight edge in run defense, with both being in the top ten, but throw in Nova's higher numbers in sacks and they get this one. Wildcats.

LB- I feel that this is where Nova shines. They've got incredible speed at this position, and their blitz schemes in this position are the heart and soul of their stout run D. Wildcats.

DB- It's tough not to give Montana the edge in this one. Both teams are over 100th in pass defense, but Montana's has a slightly better efficiency defense, has the most picks in the nation, and as Keith Thompson and Erik Stoll showed in the ASU game, pack a nasty punch. Griz also have an All-American corner in Trumaine Johnson. Griz.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Punting: As much as I'd like to give this to Nova after their punter's performance last week, Montana's just got the numbers. Wren's a top 15 punter and Montana's net punting is 7th in the country. Griz.

Kicking: Well there isn't anywhere on the internet with a detailed summary of Nova's kicker's percentages at various ranges, so I can't gauge it. McKnight is stellar inside 40, questionable outside. So, uhhh I guess push? Maybe some Nova fans can help with this one.

Kick Returns: You'd think Szczur would be an automatic here, but wait a minute. You can kick away from him. Montana's Sambrano averages one yard less than Szczur, but your other option is to kick it to Mariani, who, since he went back to returning kicks starting at the SDSU game, averages a whopping 40 yards a return and has a touchdown. Push.

Punt Returns: Simply put, Mariani is the most dynamic punt returner in the country. Nova's punter's not gonna be able to line drive punt to him. Griz.

Phew.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The big issue i have with your analysis is defensive backfield.. two of Villanova's safeties have primary run responsibilities dempsey has something like 5 sacks, maldonado maybe 4 so i'll call secondary a push at best..

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Also, Tale of the Tape:

Nova Montana
103 14 Passing Offense
4 26 Rushing Offense
14 11 Passing Efficiency
29 63 Total Defense
103 108 Passing Defense
37 33 Pass Efficiency Defense
3 9 Rushing Defense
5 19 Scoring Defense
63 5 Punt Returns
11 2 Kickoff Returns
32 7 Net Punting
11 7 Turnover Margin

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The big issue i have with your analysis is defensive backfield.. two of Villanova's safeties have primary run responsibilities dempsey has something like 5 sacks, maldonado maybe 4 so i'll call secondary a push at best..

Alright I suppose you could exchange picks and hits for sacks. Push it is.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Otherwise, it is exactly how i would draw it up xthumbsupx

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The question is do you guys think that with the two top notch run defenses and two less than stellar pass defenses the offensive playcalling will learn more towards passing than usual? Or will the run be as prevalent as usual?

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The question is do you guys think that with the two top notch run defenses and two less than stellar pass defenses the offensive playcalling will learn more towards passing than usual? Or will the run be as prevalent as usual?

My guess is that we'll come out running.. we might install more passes in th offense but who knows.. If I really had to guess, we're going to dial up some gadget plays.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah, never underestimate your opponent...;)

Anyway, I'm going with Villanova because I don't see Reynolds rushing for even 100 against the Wildcats defense. With the game more in Selle's hands, I think he'll make one too many mistakes, perhaps give 'Nova a short field a couple times. I'm thinking the scoreline will be similar to the Montana-App State one, probably something like 21-17.

Hey, I can only speak for myself (and my friends and family), but watching the JMU-William & Mary game, we all thought the championship was a slam dunk

jlcharles
December 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
We're going to come out running, no doubt. We'll adjust based on results. Whitney can pass, but he hasn't needed to much this year. I expect him to have a better day running the ball too.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hey, I can only speak for myself (and my friends and family), but watching the JMU-William & Mary game, we all thought the championship was a slam dunk

Hmm, says something about the way teams play when they know each other xwhistlex

Native
December 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Kicking: Well there isn't anywhere on the internet with a detailed summary of Nova's kicker's percentages at various ranges, so I can't gauge it. McKnight is stellar inside 40, questionable outside. So, uhhh I guess push? Maybe some Nova fans can help with this one.

Villanova's Yako is 11 of 15 for an impressive 73% this year (9 of 12 inside the red zone) with one blocked kick. He made his longest attempt, from 45 yards.

McKnight is only 15 of 25 for 60%, but most of his misses were longer attempts, as he was 11 of 12 from the red zone. Brody's longest was a 52-yarder and he had two kicks blocked.

I am counting a red zone kick as any FG attempt from 37 yards or closer. (20 yard line plus 10 yards to the goal posts plus spot the ball 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.)

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Yako is perfect on PAT's and he's had one or two blocked

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Last year in the pregame radio show before the semifinal contest they interviewed Craig Ochs and he said some similar things. He said going into the game they knew they were going to be able to really move the ball through the air. They were really upset that they only had 7 points in the first half when he felt that they could have had 21 to 28 points. Remembering back we really did shred JMU, but they were the better team that day with one of the best rushing attacks i can ever remember.

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Villanova's Yako is 11 of 15 for an impressive 73% this year (9 of 12 inside the red zone) with one blocked kick. He made his longest attempt, from 45 yards.

McKnight is only 15 of 25 for 60%, but most of his misses were longer attempts, as he was 11 of 12 from the red zone. Brody's longest was a 52-yarder and he had two kicks blocked.

I am counting a red zone kick as any FG attempt from 37 yards or closer. (20 yard line plus 10 yards to the goal posts plus spot the ball 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.)

Brody has only missed one FG inside of 40 yards. I think he's only made one or two outside of forty yards.

Montana's redzone offense scores 84% of the time with 68% TDs. Defense is 76% scores and only 53% TDs.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Last year in the pregame radio show before the semifinal contest they interviewed Craig Ochs and he said some similar things. He said going into the game they knew they were going to be able to really move the ball through the air. They were really upset that they only had 7 points in the first half when he felt that they could have had 21 to 28 points. Remembering back we really did shred JMU, but they were the better team that day with one of the best rushing attacks i can ever remember.

They were incredible, especially landers.. The problem was that they were just waiting to get beat with all the luck they had that year. We're basically a more multifaceted version of their offense last year. Whitney isn't the runner that Landers was but he can make a broken pass play into a first down very easily. The real strength in Whitney's game relies on his ability to scramble. Even if his receivers are covered, he'll find a way to run for a first down.

THE GRIZ FAN
December 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Griz by 14.

AGREED the bracket we played in was much stronger. nothing aginst nova but if there gunna bring 7 or 8 guys in the box watch out because were going to burn you deep!

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
They were incredible, especially landers.. The problem was that they were just waiting to get beat with all the luck they had that year. We're basically a more multifaceted version of their offense last year. Whitney isn't the runner that Landers was but he can make a broken pass play into a first down very easily. The real strength in Whitney's game relies on his ability to scramble. Even if his receivers are covered, he'll find a way to run for a first down.

I was actually referring to JMU's rushing attack in 04 when they won the chipper. The kind of running team that I fear more is the one that says were gonna pound it between the tackles and you aren't going to stop it. Its the most helpless feeling in football. JMU's offense was like that in 04, by 08 they kinda switched to a spread type of offense.

Which of the two is Nova? I know they rush for an average of over 200 a game and got 170 on W&M, but alot of that was on the fake punt and the rush out of the wildcat. Not saying that those don't count, but I don't think JMU had a rush over 20 yards in 04 and they still ended up with over 300 for the game.

Hoyadestroya85
December 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I was actually referring to JMU's rushing attack in 04 when they won the chipper. The kind of running team that I fear more is the one that says were gonna pound it between the tackles and you aren't going to stop it. Its the most helpless feeling in football. JMU's offense was like that in 04, by 08 they kinda switched to a spread type of offense.

Which of the two is Nova? I know they rush for an average of over 200 a game and got 170 on W&M, but alot of that was on the fake punt and the rush out of the wildcat. Not saying that those don't count, but I don't think JMU had a rush over 20 yards in 04 and they still ended up with over 300 for the game.

We run the spread.. Never under center except short yardage, We bust the occasional big play but we mostly just get six and seven yard gains consistently. We Sprinkle in some option with slot receivers.. it's really unpredictable who's going to lead the team in rushing as we've had four different guys lead us in rushing yards in a game this season. The running the ball between the tackles but you can't stop it is basically what we do with Szczur in some games.. some teams matchup real well against him, others don't. I personally think our OC is going to run Szczur until either the Griz stop him or he can't run anymore.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2009, 12:02 AM
AHH..ME LADDIES...STATS....MONTANA'S....ALOT WERE EARNED AGIN'....LESS DAN STELLAR TEAMS....HOWEVERAH....AH'M GUESSIN' DUH GRIZZWOLDS..PLAYED DOWN TA DUH COMP...IN DUH BIG FLUFFY...'CAUSE DEY HAVE SHOWN DEY CAN COMPETE WHIFF DUH BIG BOYS....DUH WILDCAT...IS UH DIFFERENT ANIMAL.....HAVIN' PLAYED DUH MUCH TUFFER SKEDD.....STATS...MAYBEAH....TAD..UNDER-APPPRECIATED....BUT..STATS..ARE MERE AVERAGES....IN DUH BLING BOWL......DON'T MEAN DIDDLY......DON'T THINK DAT SLY DOG...TALLEY KNOWS YA WANNAH STOP HIS...GROUND GAME....SO LOOK FO' 'NOVA TA COME OUT FIRIN'......WEAR DUH SHADES...BEARS.....RAZZLE-DAZZLE....WILL LIGHT UP DUH 'NOOGAH SKY.....GRIZZWOLDS...ON DUH OTHERAH HAND...WILL PROBE.....HAUCK AH'M SURE HAS SPOTTED SOME WEAKNESS'S...MONTANA WILL TRY AN' AIR MAIL DUH PIGGY AS WELL....AS 'NOVA LIKES TA GIVE YA DUH SHORTS.....OH...DUH QUIET STALKIN' O' DUH GRIZZLY.....DON'T RELAX....DON'T....EVERAH RELAX.....xeekx.....BRAWK/OBAMA/KEELER/BIDEN!!

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
We run the spread.. Never under center except short yardage, We bust the occasional big play but we mostly just get six and seven yard gains consistently. We Sprinkle in some option with slot receivers.. it's really unpredictable who's going to lead the team in rushing as we've had four different guys lead us in rushing yards in a game this season. The running the ball between the tackles but you can't stop it is basically what we do with Szczur in some games.. some teams matchup real well against him, others don't. I personally think our OC is going to run Szczur until either the Griz stop him or he can't run anymore.

I personally feel better about spread teams as we have done better against them then between the tackle teams. Obviously we did very well against JMU last year and App. State yesterday. We definately struggle against between the tackle teams like 08 Richmond, 06 Umass, and 04 JMU.

I'm sure you guys will run the ball more than App. State did, but we did very well defensively. Primarily against the run yeilding only 3.8 yards per rush, when they came in averaging 4.92 yards a carry. That and we did well in passing defense as we had more interceptions than TDs allowed. I know Whitney isn't as good as a QB as Armanti is. I think we're going to win because are strengths on defense match up with yours on offense whereas our strength passing the ball matches up with your weakness on defense.

09griz
December 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
AHH..ME LADDIES...STATS....MONTANA'S....ALOT WERE EARNED AGIN'....LESS DAN STELLAR TEAMS....HOWEVERAH....AH'M GUESSIN' DUH GRIZZWOLDS..PLAYED DOWN TA DUH COMP...IN DUH BIG FLUFFY...'CAUSE DEY HAVE SHOWN DEY CAN COMPETE WHIFF DUH BIG BOYS....DUH WILDCAT...IS UH DIFFERENT ANIMAL.....HAVIN' PLAYED DUH MUCH TUFFER SKEDD.....STATS...MAYBEAH....TAD..UNDER-APPPRECIATED....BUT..STATS..ARE MERE AVERAGES....IN DUH BLING BOWL......DON'T MEAN DIDDLY......DON'T THINK DAT SLY DOG...TALLEY KNOWS YA WANNAH STOP HIS...GROUND GAME....SO LOOK FO' 'NOVA TA COME OUT FIRIN'......WEAR DUH SHADES...BEARS.....RAZZLE-DAZZLE....WILL LIGHT UP DUH 'NOOGAH SKY.....GRIZZWOLDS...ON DUH OTHERAH HAND...WILL PROBE.....HAUCK AH'M SURE HAS SPOTTED SOME WEAKNESS'S...MONTANA WILL TRY AN' AIR MAIL DUH PIGGY AS WELL....AS 'NOVA LIKES TA GIVE YA DUH SHORTS.....OH...DUH QUIET STALKIN' O' DUH GRIZZLY.....DON'T RELAX....DON'T....EVERAH RELAX.....xeekx.....BRAWK/OBAMA/KEELER/BIDEN!!

I'm not really understanding what the deal here with you is.....Can somebody explain in plain english? Seems like a lot of work to do Foghorn Leghorn for every post. I'm sure there is some reason behind this I'm not really getting.

bpcats
December 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM
When the MSU Bobcats were beating the Griz in 02 03 and 05 they ran a 3-3-5 defense much like Villanova and had good success holding the Griz to 7, 20 and 6 points and with the way that Villanova blitzes 80% of the time and their speed on defense, I could see the first team to 24 points would probably win.

What I saw from Villanova and William and Mary on offense was like slow novacaine working its magic where they just move the ball slowly down the field and every once in a while bust that big run. For V. Cats they are going to have open up that passing game because UM's defense is very good at playing disciplined defense and filling the gaps against the run.

Villanova may get 150-200 yds rushing but unless they uncork their passing attack they are not winning that game.

UM does a great job of balancing run and pass and mixing it up with the big play. From what I saw of the Cats defensive line they are going to be in trouble because instead of going for stretch plays where the Cats defense can make tackles behind the line of scrimmage, the Griz will come straight downhill and hit that 3-3-5 straight on.

The game will be hard hitting but I think that Montana has shown more in the playoffs the ability for the big play on a consistent basis and that will be the difference in this game.

As far as which team is more battle tested there is no advantage for Villanova. Hauck does a great job of getting young guys into each game every year. This years team is mostly made up of players that went and beat JMU on their own field, and played in last years Championship game. Nobody on Villanova can say that.

I don't know the injury status of each team going in and how that may affect the game. It should be a good one.

Villanova - key to the game will be to pass for 200-250 yds to balance out their rushing attack

Montana = keep it going and limit the turnovers.

Guaranteed play= UM will run a fake on a FG or Punt attempt during the game. Better be ready for that every time.

jstclmet
December 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
What I saw from Villanova and William and Mary on offense was like slow novacaine working its magic where they just move the ball slowly down the field and every once in a while bust that big run. For V. Cats they are going to have open up that passing game because UM's defense is very good at playing disciplined defense and filling the gaps against the run.

Villanova may get 150-200 yds rushing but unless they uncork their passing attack they are not winning that game.

It's really not a good idea to try and label Nova based on only 1 game. What you learned from last Friday's game is that Nova has a very good defense, especially against the run, and they can come from behind to win.

UM does a great job of balancing run and pass and mixing it up with the big play. From what I saw of the Cats defensive line they are going to be in trouble because instead of going for stretch plays where the Cats defense can make tackles behind the line of scrimmage, the Griz will come straight downhill and hit that 3-3-5 straight on.

The game will be hard hitting but I think that Montana has shown more in the playoffs the ability for the big play on a consistent basis and that will be the difference in this game.

I seem to remember FBS Temple having a rather large O-Line & DLine. Not only were they large, they were very physical, and very good athletes. If UM's OL/DL is comparable, I'll be impressed. Then there's those 8 CAA games. I'm sure Nova saw some decent OL's/DL's then. Have you seen HC??? Nova averages 15 hits a game on opposing QB's, numbers were down for the HC game. But, I'm sure UM will have the OL/DL that's far superior to the rest of FCS xrolleyesx

As for running straight at Nova's 3-3-5, nope, in 14 games, no one's tried that. That's a sure fire strategy that might win ya a NC. Good idea, give it shot. xwhistlex

As far as which team is more battle tested there is no advantage for Villanova. Hauck does a great job of getting young guys into each game every year. This years team is mostly made up of players that went and beat JMU on their own field, and played in last years Championship game. Nobody on Villanova can say that.

Yes, we did lose to JMU twice in 08, but we did beat the then #1 team in the country Richmond, who soundly defeated Montana in the NC game. Go Figure. xconfusedx

See ya in Chatty on Fri xnodx

GaSouthern
December 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Montana is better, they win.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
For my second post on AGS...

I for one, do not know much about Villanova. However, I do know something about the Montana Grizzlies and there coach Bobby Hauck. In the past, when a team/player/coach has offended the Griz before a game, then Hauck and the Griz bring the pain. Last year, Villanova's coach made some stupid comments after they lost to JMU (something like the Griz are no match for JMU or any other CAA team). This offended Hauck so much that after the Griz beat JMU, he said something to the effect of "if we were playing Villanova, we would have scored over 50 points".

For Hauck to say this about a team we have not played proves that he wants blood. This is his wet dream! Whatever the outcome of the game on Friday, you should know that you are going to see a Griz team like you have never seen before. If Villanova scores less than 30, then they will lose by over 14 points!

VforVictory
December 14th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I for one, do not know much about Villanova. However, I do know something about the Montana Grizzlies and there coach Bobby Hauck. In the past, when a team/player/coach has offended the Griz before a game, then Hauck and the Griz bring the pain. Last year, Villanova's coach made some stupid comments last year after they lost to JMU (something like the Griz are no match for JMU or any other CAA team). This offended Hauck so much that after the Griz beat JMU, he said something to the effect of "if we were playing Villanova, we would have scored over 50 points".

For Hauck to say this about a team we have not played proves that he wants blood. This is his wet dream! Whatever the outcome of the game on Friday, you should know that you are going to see a Griz team like you have never seen before. If Villanova scores less than 30, then they will lose by over 14 points!

BAHAHA. Oh yeah having a coach/team really pissed off makes them play a ton better. Just like how having twice as many fans makes a team play over their heads. What a joke.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
BAHAHA. Oh yeah having a coach/team really pissed off makes them play a ton better. Just like how having twice as many fans makes a team play over their heads. What a joke.

Yeah what a joke... Like when the U.S. Army gave amphetamines to their soldiers in WWII? Amphetamines make you pissed, the pain goes away and you fight on with more determination... Ha Ha. We all see how WWII worked out for the U.S.

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
That comment must have not made Montana enough mad to beat Richmond last year....

tribefan40
December 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
The key to this game for Montana will be containing the running game - particularly Sczur. (sp?) I don't think Whitney has the ability to win it with the passing game. Good luck to both! Should be a great game.xthumbsupx

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The key to this game for Montana will be containing the running game - particularly Sczur. (sp?) I don't think Whitney has the ability to win it with the passing game. Good luck to both! Should be a great game.xthumbsupx

Well we ain't Sczurred...

(..I'm ashamed of myself xlolx )

tribefan40
December 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I for one, do not know much about Villanova. However, I do know something about the Montana Grizzlies and there coach Bobby Hauck. In the past, when a team/player/coach has offended the Griz before a game, then Hauck and the Griz bring the pain. Last year, Villanova's coach made some stupid comments after they lost to JMU (something like the Griz are no match for JMU or any other CAA team). This offended Hauck so much that after the Griz beat JMU, he said something to the effect of "if we were playing Villanova, we would have scored over 50 points".

Of course you would have run up the score! this coming from the team that went for a fake field goal up 24-0 on SFA. Classy.xsmhx

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hey, we weren't about to pull a SoDak State and let up

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
That comment must have not made Montana enough mad to beat Richmond last year....

How would a comment made by Villanova's coach influence the Richmond Game? Richmond (team and coaches) were a class act. They were the better (far better) football team last year.

I do not think that all of the CAA superiority comments on AGS (and in other forums) affects non CAA teams at all--only the fans of these teams.

Concerning the Griz vs. Spiders last year, I heard nothing from either teams players or coaches that would have offended the other. They both just came out, played to win, and the Spiders won.

putter
December 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Of course you would have run up the score! this coming from the team that went for a fake field goal up 24-0 on SFA. Classy.xsmhx

Yea, up 24 nothing on the #1 scoring offense in the nation..lets sit back and give them a chance to get back in the game. You put teams away, period..xnodx

Montana has a solid run defense so I believe Villanova will have to throw the ball to win the game. Sczur will get his yards because that is what great players do, expecially when the team uses him like they do. Whitney did not impress me 1/2 as much as AE did (granted I have only watched him twice this season) but AE had to scramble and still put the ball on the mark, he was amazing. IMO Whitney does not have that in his arsenal and there is not a QB that can run like AE, even at 80%. Richmond took away the run early last year against the Griz and the coaches pussed out and became one dimentional, thus, allowing Sidbury to know that he did not have to worry about the run and came on the rush with reckless abandon and killed the Griz. I hope they don't do that this year because, if they do, the result will be the same. I like the Griz here - if they can run effectively, don't care how many yards, I think the passing will get them in the endzone.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Here is a secret... There is no way that our kicker will make a field goal that long. Of course, SFA and many other teams probably know that secret in advance, they seem to review game footage xthumbsupx

Not once this year would I ever consider one of our "fake" plays to be fake. Try this rule out when you watch Friday's game (or a Griz replay). If the field goal will be between 40 to 50 yards, and the grizzlies are ahead in points they will fake the field goal. I believe you will be able to correctly guess 100% of the fake attempts.

Phrebert
December 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hmm Lets see
SDSU had one of top defenses Montana shredded 61 pts on em
SFA had one of top Offenses Montana gobbled up 10 turnovers
ASU had AE(Ok Griz didn't stop him) but came out on top.

Griz win by having Reynolds, TBF, Mariani, and the D. Thompson has a picture of Szcur with a bullseye on it.

VforVictory
December 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah what a joke... Like when the U.S. Army gave amphetamines to their soldiers in WWII? Amphetamines make you pissed, the pain goes away and you fight on with more determination... Ha Ha. We all see how WWII worked out for the U.S.

xlolxxlolxObviously not a drug user. Amphetamines are synonymous with speed, speed does not make you angry. Believe me xsmiley_wix. But seriously having been in the arena, if my coach said something like "last year their coach said something not very nice about us..." I would think he was grasping at straws to get us excited for the game. If that is what Montana needs to compete they might not be ready come Friday.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
xlolxxlolxObviously not a drug user. Amphetamines are synonymous with speed, speed does not make you angry. Believe me xsmiley_wix. But seriously having been in the arena, if my coach said something like "last year their coach said something not very nice about us..." I would think he was grasping at straws to get us excited for the game. If that is what Montana needs to compete they might not be ready come Friday.

You are right, I am not a drug user. I would love to know what you think "speed" does. Then, I will compare you ideas with what is currently in the DSM IV - TR (it is in my book bag right next to me). Finally, I will also look up the known empirical data on "the effects of speed on humans psychobioemotional state" using psych info. If you would like, I can shoot you some references.

On another note (the emotional one), you are sooo right, never in the history of the human race has one single perceived insult lead to years of hatred and aggression.

JMUNJ08
December 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
You are right, I am not a drug user. I would love to know what you think "speed" does. Then, I will compare you ideas with what is currently in the DSM IV - TR (it is in my book bag right next to me). Finally, I will also look up the known empirical data on "the effects of speed on humans psychobioemotional state" using psych info. If you would like, I can shoot you some references.

On another note (the emotional one), you are sooo right, never in the history of the human race has one single perceived insult lead to years of hatred and aggression.

Its Montana and Villanova. What history? Being a JMU fan I don't recall Montana saying it motivated them against JMU even though I remember that comment. Montana will have an undefeated season in the balance. I think that and a NC is more pressure. Nova is there for the first time like JMU/UR. I expect a great game that Nova finds a way to win.xthumbsupx

apppackdad
December 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Montana 28-21.
This Griz team just finds a way!
They have won big, come from way behind, won the close ones, what ever has
been needed on a given Saturday they have accomplished. It easily transposes to Friday.
Ultimate BAD WEEK for NOVA-BIG FIVE loss begins it-NOOGA loss clinches it!xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
December 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I haven't read this whole thread but I will add a couple of notes..

Matt Szczur is a virtual lock to get a big play in this game. Twice against UNH, he lined up in the wildcat and everyone in the stadium knew he'd run the ball. He was still gone in about 1 second. It's like they fire him out of a gun. I've never seen anyone get that kind of start with no momentum. It is unbelievable to watch. Probably my favorite player in FCS to watch and it's nice that he's finally getting the credit he deserves. I think I watched a play last year where he got a pitch, rolled out and threw it to the TE after it was pretty clearly a designed run play. Just a very impressive player.

Additionally, Villanova on defense is impressive to watch. They don't have a weakness. Kuckucka is a beast, but their LB are all very good, their secondary has a bunch of solid players and so too does their line. It's actually really frustrating playing Villanova because they are unbelievable at picking up positive yardage. 4 yards, 5 yards, 3 yards, 4 yards, 5 yards...before you know it, they're at your 10 yard-line and a virtual lock to score.

One place where Montana can exploit Villanova is with the TE. UNH won game 1 against 'Nova because of the TE (and the wind...). I'd expect Montana to watch that game tape and see what UNH did, but again, the results were clearly biased by the weather that day (though also by the weather two weeks ago at 'Nova).

Good luck to both teams.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Its Montana and Villanova. What history? Being a JMU fan I don't recall Montana saying it motivated them against JMU even though I remember that comment. Montana will have an undefeated season in the balance. I think that and a NC is more pressure. Nova is there for the first time like JMU/UR. I expect a great game that Nova finds a way to win.xthumbsupx

Human history not Villanova/Montana history. The only history between these two teams (that I am aware of) is the insult.

Concerning JMU, you are completely correct, the comment did not affect the JMU/UM game. I am uncertain why you even brought that up? Is it because of the whole CAA in group/ out group thing?

Here is a summary of my argument...
Montana views Villanova negatively because of comment made by Villanova's coach. Montana does not view any other team negatively because of the comments made by Villanova's coach. I really do not think that Montana cares about the CAA (or any other conference as a whole), they just care about the teams they are going to play.

GannonFan
December 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately, I see this game shaping up to be like last year's title game. Montana's going to have tons of trouble running the ball, and they're going to end up being too one-dimensional on offense for the passing game to be effective. On the other side of the ball, nova's not going to do anything spectacular, but they'll grind Montana with the running game. Richmond had more flash with the d-ends last year, but nova will do the same to Montana's offense anyway. I see nova winning by 10 - call it 30-20.

GoDukes86
December 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ok, this thread has cleared it up! All those who are pulling for Mt predict a Griz win, those for Nova predict a Wildcat win...

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, I see this game shaping up to be like last year's title game. Montana's going to have tons of trouble running the ball, and they're going to end up being too one-dimensional on offense for the passing game to be effective. On the other side of the ball, nova's not going to do anything spectacular, but they'll grind Montana with the running game. Richmond had more flash with the d-ends last year, but nova will do the same to Montana's offense anyway. I see nova winning by 10 - call it 30-20.

I see the distinct possibility of this happening. However, I have to say that I have been way more impressed with the UM coaches this season then last season. This season I feel that they have made better decisions regarding plays and they have adjusted there game plan better during games.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Matt Szczur is a virtual lock to get a big play in this game. Twice against UNH, he lined up in the wildcat and everyone in the stadium knew he'd run the ball. He was still gone in about 1 second. It's like they fire him out of a gun. I've never seen anyone get that kind of start with no momentum. It is unbelievable to watch. Probably my favorite player in FCS to watch and it's nice that he's finally getting the credit he deserves. I think I watched a play last year where he got a pitch, rolled out and threw it to the TE after it was pretty clearly a designed run play. Just a very impressive player.

Everyone knows when he lines up at QB that he's running between the tackles and yet he always seems to get 5+ yards. It says something about how good he is and also the quality of our OL. I'm happy for him that he's going to get to play on national tv and get the recognition he deserves. Hopefully this puts him on the Payton ballot next year. If he returns.

JMUNJ08
December 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Human history not Villanova/Montana history. The only history between these two teams (that I am aware of) is the insult.

Concerning JMU, you are completely correct, the comment did not affect the JMU/UM game. I am uncertain why you even brought that up? Is it because of the whole CAA in group/ out group thing?

Here is a summary of my argument...
Montana views Villanova negatively because of comment made by Villanova's coach. Montana does not view any other team negatively because of the comments made by Villanova's coach. I really do not think that Montana cares about the CAA (or any other conference as a whole), they just care about the teams they are going to play.

It was brought up earlier as motivation against JMU. Not hatred for them. Do Montanians really feel hatred toward Villanova???

Also, there was 1 griz poster going for nova (cuz griz lose when he picks them)

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Ok, this thread has cleared it up! All those who are pulling for Mt predict a Griz win, those for Nova predict a Wildcat win...

It's always that way xlolx

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
It seems like Montana has all the pressure in the world to win this football game, while there isn't nearly as much pressure for 'Nova to win. It's their first time there, and they're just going to go out there playing like there's nothing to lose. However, maybe 'nova will have more pressure because they aren't used to playing in such a big fcs sports venue. Nevertheless, I think this game will be very close, and I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to a last second field goal to determine the winner.

srgrizizen
December 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM

This could happen, but Richmond dominated primarily because of two incredible DEs. Judging only by the W&M game, Villanova gambles with jail break blitzes that leave the opponent's QB almost no time to wait for receivers to come open, but they will every time if Selle can escape the rush. If Montana can effectively call the right plays against that blitz, they can burn Villanova, but they'll have to do it more than the one time W&M did. Absent a blitz, Villanova never lays a hand on Selle. He is going to get sacked a few times, and Montana's run defense is not as tough as W&Ms, but Villanova's gimmicky defense can be exploited. Montana should have an advantage in the punting and return game, and I'll believe "Seizure" is as good as Mariani when I see it.xcoffeex

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Vucats

I tried that argument last week. The Griz players evidently don't read this site.......

GrizFamily
December 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Vucats

I tried that argument last week. The Griz players evidently don't read this site.......

That is the funniest thing I have read today.

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
"I'll believe "Seizure" is as good as Mariani when I see it"

Did you not watch the Nova/W&M game? And that was against the best rushing defense in the country! I would be shocked if Szczur doesn't reach 200 all purpose yards this Friday.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
It was brought up earlier as motivation against JMU. Not hatred for them. Do Montanians really feel hatred toward Villanova???

If I wrote hatred, the I am sorry. I meant to write aggression--aggression is not hatred, it is much closer to motivation.

paul1978
December 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
"I'll believe "Seizure" is as good as Mariani when I see it"

Did you not watch the Nova/W&M game? And that was against the best rushing defense in the country! I would be shocked if Szczur doesn't reach 200 all purpose yards this Friday.

Prepare to be shocked. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

jmufan999
December 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
last year, Montana allowed an absolutely STAGGERING 7.0 yards/carry to Vaughn. and it's not like we're talking about a small sample size, either. 23 carries. as a team, Richmond outrushed Montana 5.3 to 1.6 ypc. that's not close.

i'm telling you right now, this rushing attack is better. and the defense is as good.

not saying Montana can't win, but i don't believe they will. and whoever said Montana has had a tougher road to the championship hasn't really been paying attention. We'll say that Holy Cross and SFA cancel each other out. but a 9-2 UNH team from the CAA is greater than an 8-3 team from the MVFC.

jmufan999
December 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
and yes, "sczcur" is as good as Mariani.... as a matter of fact, they're almost clones. i wouldn't say one is better than the other, they're both quite good.

Torgo
December 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
This isn't 2008, lets use some stats relevant to this team.

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I was never saying Szczur was better than Mariani. I agree that they are like clones, but Szczur seems to get no respect from Montana fans.

Not only is his last name shocking (6 letters and only 1 vowel, can you think of any other name like that?), but his speed is also shocking, and for all the Montana fans who think that Montana has a clear advantage in special teams, I think you are dead wrong. Both special teams seem to be as equal as possible. I don't know how somebody can give either team an advantage when looking at special teams.

GrizDuck
December 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
As to the claim that the Griz O-Line not being more impressive than the Temple O-line (Nova's FBS foe) - I would invite the Nova fans to examine the following roster:

Temple O-line:
Brown 6-4 292; Ciarrochi 6-3 312; Dennis 6-5 316; Madison 6-4 310; Morris 6-4 305

Montana O-line:
Hillesland 6-7 320; Dyk 6-8 297; Horn 6-7 315; Burton 6-5 330; Verlanic 6-2 282; Opperud 6-7 305

While the FBS schools may have a deeper roster at the O-line (with more scholarships to give them), they size is usually comparable...or smaller than the Griz line.

The Nova D-line, by contrast, is listed as 6-1 230; 6-1 295; 6-6 250; 6-2 300...along with a couple of defensive ends who go about 6-3 245.

Reynolds has had an outstanding couple of seasons running behind Hillesland, Horn, and Dyk. His numbers are good because he's athletic and gritty back running behind an enormous line (rather than because he's a monstrous bruiser like we used to have in Hilliard).

We're going to win the line of scrimmage battle in Chattanooga... unless someone has turned it into a sandbox again like '04.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I was never saying Szczur was better than Mariani. I agree that they are like clones, but Szczur seems to get no respect from Montana fans.

Not only is his last name shocking (6 letters and only 1 vowel, can you think of any other name like that?), but his speed is also shocking, and for all the Montana fans who think that Montana has a clear advantage in special teams, I think you are dead wrong. Both special teams seem to be as equal as possible. I don't know how somebody can give either team an advantage when looking at special teams.

Really? Because your punt returns are wayyyy down from ours and we have two people back on kickoffs that are just as fast as Szczur.

Edit: The only way that the kick returns category ends in a push is if Nguyen is back there instead of Mariani.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Szczur doesn't return punts.. Who knows though, he may in the National Championship. The fact is that the guy is on every coverage unit and i'm pretty sure that he could play both ways if the coaches really wanted him to. As for Mariani and Szczur being similar.. I couldn't disagree more, they are completely different. Mariani is a true receiver in the Brian Finneran Mould whereas Szczur is a Percy Harvin/Dexter McCluster type (I hate the Welker comparisons, they're lazy.. just because a guy is a white receiver doesn't mean that he's Wes Welker.) As for the size of the Griz O-Line, that concerns me but I still don't know if you'll be able to run the ball.. Holy Cross had a huge O-Line and they couldn't do anything on the ground. I also think it will be very difficult to beat Villanova if you only sack Whitney once like you did to Edwards last week, to beat this season's Villanova team you need to hit Whit a lot and I really don't know if i see that happening.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Szczur doesn't return punts.. Who knows though, he may in the National Championship. The fact is that the guy is on every coverage unit and i'm pretty sure that he could play both ways if the coaches really wanted him to. As for Mariani and Szczur being similar.. I couldn't disagree more, they are completely different. Mariani is a true receiver in the Brian Finneran Mould whereas Szczur is a Percy Harvin/Dexter McCluster type (I hate the Welker comparisons, they're lazy.. just because a guy is a white receiver doesn't mean that he's Wes Welker.) As for the size of the Griz O-Line, that concerns me but I still don't know if you'll be able to run the ball.. Holy Cross had a huge O-Line and they couldn't do anything on the ground.

I wouldn't suspect that they'd put Szczur on punt returns all of a sudden. Most of the time you put someone back because of moves rather than speed. Szczur seems like more of a flat out speed kind of guy, as shown by his kickoff returns. I also couldn't agree more about them not being similar. If you compared them as receivers in the vein of catching passes and running routes, Mariani would be the clear favorite, but Szczur's much more of a weapon behind the line of scrimmage. They practically play different positions.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Didn't Bobby Hauck talk some smack on Villanova last year also?? After the JMU-Griz game?

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Didn't Bobby Hauck talk some smack on Villanova last year also?? After the JMU-Griz game?

I'm pretty sure it was joke smack in response to Talley saying that UM would be a slam dunk for JMU. I seriously doubt he actually thought we'd beat Villanova by 50. We didn't beat anyone by 50.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Finally, it should be pointed out that our head coach and Villanova’s head coach have had a few comments about each other over the last 12 months. It started with Nova’s coach Talley saying this, after his team lost to JMU in the 2008 quarterfinals:

“I think it's a slam dunk for (James Madison) there. They'll beat Montana. We would have beat Montana. JMU is an outstanding team. Richmond is an outstanding team.”

To which after beating JMU Bobby stated:

"In regard to that, it would've been a lot easier to have Villanova at our place," Hauck began. "JMU came back and won that last game (31-27 over the Wildcats in the quarterfinals). But we would've beat Villanova by 50."

And finally this year, arguing his case for the #1 seed Villanova coach Talley had this to say, in the playoff summary that Dave Coulson put in his TSN article:

"I think we have the best resume and pedigree in the country," Villanova coach Andy Talley said after Saturday's win against rival Delaware. "Some other teams haven't played a schedule with the same difficulty as us."

Talley then took direct aim at Montana.

"We played an (FBS) team, not a Division II team," he explained. "We haven't dodged anybody."

from egriz.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't suspect that they'd put Szczur on punt returns all of a sudden. Most of the time you put someone back because of moves rather than speed. Szczur seems like more of a flat out speed kind of guy, as shown by his kickoff returns. I also couldn't agree more about them not being similar. If you compared them as receivers in the vein of catching passes and running routes, Mariani would be the clear favorite, but Szczur's much more of a weapon behind the line of scrimmage. They practically play different positions.

His Freshman and sophomore years, he was the primary punt returner.. I really think that he isn't anymore because they wanted to keep him fresh. He's still listed as the second PR on the depth chart and I think we have a better chance to bust one with him than Brandyn "The Human Fair Catch" Harvey. I don't think Szczur gets enough credit for what he can do as a true wide receiver.. We don't throw the ball too much but he still had respectable numbers for a Slot Receiver not to mention we rotate seven or eight wide receivers in and out of the game. I'll agree that Mariani is the better pure receiver but that doesn't mean that I don't think highly of Matt Szczur's ability to catch the ball.

GrizDuck
December 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The only reason we didn't have 6+ sacks in th semifinal was because they were pursuing Armanti Edwards. The guy must have thrown a dozen passes (and I'm talking about real passes, not just getting rid of the ball) with someone wrapped around his neck, pulling on his jersey, or pushing him to the ground. ASU was on 4th and 10 with the game almost over when someone was pulling Edwards to the ground. AE heaved the ball, while off balance, and completed an astounding pass for a 1st down.

Our defense was getting penetration and hurrying the offense. Did you notice that AE's completion percentage was at 50% instead of 70%? It wasn't all because of the weather. Do you really think Whitney can scramble and throw as well as AE?

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
"I think we have the best resume and pedigree in the country," Villanova coach Andy Talley said after Saturday's win against rival Delaware. "Some other teams haven't played a schedule with the same difficulty as us."

Talley then took direct aim at Montana.

"We played an (FBS) team, not a Division II team," he explained. "We haven't dodged anybody."
I think it's very cynical if you interpret that as a direct shot at Montana, I think he was just making a point of the reality of the situation in our level of football. For example: Delaware played a division II team this year, he could have been taking a jab at them I highly doubt he was making an attack on another team, I simply think that he was showcasing his team's resume, which any coach should do.

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM

I don't have any hatred for Nova, I just think their coach is an idiot who needs to know when to shut his mouth. He said we couldn't hold a candle to JMU or the CAA last year and we shut him up. Granted we did lose to Richmond the following week so not sure how that ties in.

Bottom line is that I don't think it will effect the game just because it is such a short week. Not too much time to get wrapped up in what "he said, she said" stuff.

GannonFan
December 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
His Freshman and sophomore years, he was the primary punt returner.. I really think that he isn't anymore because they wanted to keep him fresh. He's still listed as the second PR on the depth chart and I think we have a better chance to bust one with him than Brandyn "The Human Fair Catch" Harvey. I don't think Szczur gets enough credit for what he can do as a true wide receiver.. We don't throw the ball too much but he still had respectable numbers for a Slot Receiver not to mention we rotate seven or eight wide receivers in and out of the game. I'll agree that Mariani is the better pure receiver but that doesn't mean that I don't think highly of Matt Szczur's ability to catch the ball.

Frankly, I think you're overselling Szczur's pass catching ability. He's an okay receiver, but his real strength lies in his ability to run out of the wildcat-type formation nova uses him in. That's where most of his real big plays originate from.

You'd think with the type of offense that nova runs that it would enhance Szczur's big play potential at WR - often you see option teams (not calling nova an option team, just using it as an example) where WR's have small reception totals but big yardage totals and you just don't see it with Szczur.

To me, Szczur is a great threat coming out of the backfield, but he's a possession receiver at best when playing true WR. There's been plenty of great receivers that have come through the A10/CAA over the years (Finneran, Conti, Musinski, etc) and I wouldn't put him anywhere in the same class as those guys. But of course, those guys didn't run the Wildcat. xthumbsupx

tampa_griz
December 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I think it's very cynical if you interpret that as a direct shot at Montana, I think he was just making a point of the reality of the situation in our level of football. For example: Delaware played a division II team this year, he could have been taking a jab at them I highly doubt he was making an attack on another team, I simply think that he was showcasing his team's resume, which any coach should do.

That wasn't an interpretation by anyone on the board. That was direct line from the article.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I know.. that's what I'm saying

SCBluehen
December 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Montana by 14.

Why?

Because I just had a vision.

xlolx

09griz
December 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I think it is. Wasn't it him that said, last year, after having lost in the playoffs, that they would have beat Montana by 50?

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I think it is a direct shot at Montana because this is in a discussion about seeding. Montana was the only team contending for a seed that played a D-II team, so I definitely think he was saying that Montana was "dodging" someone.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think it is. Wasn't it him that said, last year, after having lost in the playoffs, that they would have beat Montana by 50?

No, Hauck sarcastically said after beating JMU that we would have beat Villanova by 50 at home. Obviously wasn't being serious, it was just more making fun of the fact that Talley said it was a guaranteed win for JMU.

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
In that case, maybe Talley was being sarcastic when he was talking about jmu...

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
In that case, maybe Talley was being sarcastic when he was talking about jmu...

No. There's a big difference in saying "we would have beat them by 50" and, "that's a slam dunk for them. They will beat Montana." No way that's even an attempt at sarcasm.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Andy Talley was saying what he thought, and that's exactly what I thought as well, that JMU was incredible.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
What was out of line when discussing strength of schedule when hoping for a #1 seed? Do you honestly see anything wrong with what he said?

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
What was out of line when discussing strength of schedule when hoping for a #1 seed? Do you honestly see anything wrong with what he said?

I don't think there was anything out of line. But that doesn't mean it wasn't directed at Montana.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I agree it was directed at Montana. And I don't see a thing wrong with it.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Andy Talley was saying what he thought, and that's exactly what I thought as well, that JMU was incredible.

Still doesn't mean he wasn't giving zero credit to a very good Montana. It doesn't matter how good the #1 seed is, it's hard to not take offense when someone essentially says there's no chance we'll win. All this boils down to is Talley, whether on purpose or not, comes off as extremely condescending when it comes to his mentality on anyone CAA vs anyone otherwise. In fact I'm surprised he didn't come out after the JMU game and talk about how the better team beat themselves.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I agree it was directed at Montana. And I don't see a thing wrong with it.

It would have been 100% legit if he stopped after the remark about playing an FBS instead of a D-II. But when you say "we're not dodging anybody" it very clearly implies that he believes that Montana's afraid to play an FBS. And that's enough to take offense to.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
And this is why it's great that our champ is decided on the field. He had an opinion after playing JMU twice last year and he gave it. It's so much more interesting than the sanitized garbage we get from everyone anymore.

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Still doesn't mean he wasn't giving zero credit to a very good Montana. It doesn't matter how good the #1 seed is, it's hard to not take offense when someone essentially says there's no chance we'll win. All this boils down to is Talley, whether on purpose or not, comes off as extremely condescending when it comes to his mentality on anyone CAA vs anyone otherwise. In fact I'm surprised he didn't come out after the JMU game and talk about how the better team beat themselves.

If someone was there to listen he probably would have...

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
And this is why it's great that our champ is decided on the field. He had an opinion after playing JMU twice last year and he gave it. It's so much more interesting than the sanitized garbage we get from everyone anymore.

Hey I'm not complaining, it just adds to the many things that will be awesome if we come away with a win on Friday. But still, I don't care if it's an opinion or not. It just shows lack of class in defeat. If Jerry Moore had said in the postgame interview that App should have beaten Montana and blew the game for themselves, I'd lose a lot of respect for the guy.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Comments like this wouldn't have any merit if Montana did not play D2 teams.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Comments like this wouldn't have any merit if Montana did not play D2 teams.

The first comment was fine! Implying that we're afraid to do it is a low blow! We don't need to play FBS teams! We've got the money! We make more money in a home game against a D-II than if we traveled to an FBS! Clearly it isn't too much of a blow to our SOS considering we got the #1 seed despite of it! Give me one good reason to play an FBS. Please, humor me!

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I honestly think that the comments are much ado about nothing.. If another coach said that about Villanova, I'd let it go in one ear and out the other rather than dwelling on it for an entire year.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I honestly think that the comments are much ado about nothing.. If another coach said that about Villanova, I'd let it go in one ear and out the other rather than dwelling on it for an entire year.

I forgot about it until I read that egriz post.

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
The first comment was fine! Implying that we're afraid to do it is a low blow! We don't need to play FBS teams! We've got the money! We make more money in a home game against a D-II than if we traveled to an FBS! Clearly it isn't too much of a blow to our SOS considering we got the #1 seed despite of it! Give me one good reason to play an FBS. Please, humor me!

Never said you had to schedule an FBS. Where in my comments did I say that? Not playing a D2 doesn't mean you replace them with an FBS team.

Bronco
December 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
On ESPN College Football today show they showed highlights of the Griz/App State game and talked about the quote form last year and said it was good locker room material and asked fans to tune in Friday to watch the game .

TokyoGriz
December 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM

HAHA!

Sums it up I think. My teams going to win, they are better than yours! xlolxxnodx

Few good analysis but mostly Montana is got the right stuff or the Any team out of the CAA is the spawn of the gods kind of stuff.

Native
December 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
HAHA!

Sums it up I think. My teams going to win, they are better than yours! xlolxxnodx

Few good analysis but mostly Montana is got the right stuff or the Any team out of the CAA is the spawn of the gods kind of stuff.

xthumbsupxxbowxxlolx

SCBluehen
December 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Welcome to Northeast Liberal Elitismxnonono2x

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome to Northeast Liberal Elitismxnonono2x

I don't know of anything about Villanova that is liberal..

Native
December 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM

That gives us all something to be thankful for. xlolx

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
If Hauck were cut from the same cloth as Talley he would have said after the App State game "This was a great atmosphere and really needed by FCS after watching the game last night."

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
scheduling =/= fans

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If Hauck were cut from the same cloth as Talley he would have said after the App State game "This was a great atmosphere and really needed by FCS after watching the game last night."

xlolxxlolx xbowx

SCBluehen
December 14th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Okay, Eazy. xrolleyesx

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
To all those who think Andy Talley has no class, why don't you read this.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070308aap.html

Sorry that saving lives isn't good enough to be considered classy.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Andy Talley was way ahead of the game when it came to bone marrow donation.. It's not publicized enough by the university either.

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM

That is if he was willing to speak to the media. xlolxxlolxxlolx

jlcharles
December 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Pretty good that both Szczur and Ijalana were named All-Americans by the Walter Camp foundation.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/12/14/walter-camp-announces-2009-fcs-all-ameri?blog=2#more5972

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Because of the All American list, expect to see Ijalana on the preseason Payton Award list.. Not Bad for an Offensive tackle.

Grizaholic17
December 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Pretty good that both Szczur and Ijalana were named All-Americans by the Walter Camp foundation.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/12/14/walter-camp-announces-2009-fcs-all-ameri?blog=2#more5972

The most odd and obscure names on the 'Nova squad.

Montana wins due to their "on a roll" attitude right now.

Let's just hope that attitude doesn't cause them to take a game off. I think they really want this after last year

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Anybody know what the injury updates on Osayi Osunde and Ross Ventrone? I think Osunde came back into the game after he got injured, but I'm not sure about Ventrone. I also noticed that Pitts was banged up in the game against the tribe as well.

Crackgina
December 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I talked to Mariani and Horn and the whole team thinks they kind of zoned out for the championship game last year until it was too late. I think they will be fired up and ready to win this one. We sadly have a lot longer trip to take than Villanova so I hope that doesn't effect us.

Spider
December 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I talked to Mariani and Horn and the whole team thinks they kind of zoned out for the championship game last year until it was too late. I think they will be fired up and ready to win this one. We sadly have a lot longer trip to take than Villanova so I hope that doesn't effect us.

how can you not be fired up for a national championship game? they got beat by a better team..........GO NOVA.......

uofmman1122
December 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
how can you not be fired up for a national championship game? they got beat by a better team..........GO NOVA.......When they got scored on by a trick play, and then shut out on the goal line, it probably messed with their heads, and they couldn't get back into the game.

Add into that the fact that the travel was so brutal that they couldn't prepare well for it, and you get a shell shocked team. Richmond knocked us in the teeth, and we didn't get back up until it was too late. :(

GRIZCLAW
December 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
how can you not be fired up for a national championship game? they got beat by a better team..........GO NOVA.......

And that team? They got beat this year by a better team, that got beat by a better team, which is now going to the chipper and Richmond is NOT. Nuf said...

Madisonian
December 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks GrizClaw's comments, recent join date, unknown location, and incessant reference to "the chipper" have all of the hallmarks of one AlexAle?

AlphaSigMD
December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Go Griz. Richmond beat us last year and went on to win the championship. My gut feeling is that the Griz will do the same.

The Griz have consistently gotten in done this year, albeit looking suspect during a few games...I have to think that once again they will find a way to win.

My next prediction is that immediately there will be a thread about whether of not this Griz team, at 15-0, is the greatest FCS team of all time...which would be a tough sell in my opinion, but I'm certain that some are willing to make the argument.

GRIZCLAW
December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Am I the only one who thinks GrizClaw's comments, recent join date, unknown location, and incessant reference to "the chipper" have all of the hallmarks of one AlexAle?

OK, and your point is? Let's be clear about it. Just exactly who is playing in the, for you less educated, national championship? Who beat whom, at their house, last year to get to the "NC". If you're gonna talk smack, expect to get the truth back in your face.xwhistlexxwhistlex

Madisonian
December 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
OK, and your point is? Let's be clear about it. Just exactly who is playing in the, for you less educated, national championship? Who beat whom, at their house, last year to get to the "NC". If you're gonna talk smack, expect to get the truth back in your face.xwhistlexxwhistlex

Hmmm... wow, de ja vu. I feel like I've heard that one before... wait was that you earlier? Less educated? Wow, that one cut me, cut me deep. You, Alex are the king of smack. Again, welcome back to the boards.

I would like to say that Montana has some of the best fans in College Football. I have met many over the years, but you sir are not a proud example of the Griz faithful.

GRIZCLAW
December 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hmmm... wow, de ja vu. I feel like I've heard that one before... wait was that you earlier? You, Alex are the king of smack. Again, welcome back to the boards.

I'm board with this...Again, congrats NOVA. All those NOT playing in the CHIPPER can now leave the board until next year.xwhistlex

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
A few things I've come up with (based on facts)

Montana's 13 FCS opponents average only 126.35 rushing yards per game, therefore The Griz hold their FCS opponents to an average of 35 yards below that number. If it was the same against Villanova (again factoring in only FCS opponents,) Montana would give up nearly 210 yards against Villanova
Villanova Gives up only 2.28 yards per carry and 13.57 points per game on defense , last season's NC, Richmond by comparison gave up 2.94 ypc and 15.63 ppg respectively.
Villanova ranks third in the nation in turnovers lost and 11th in the nation in turnover margin. They have not lost a turnover since the final regular season game of the year.
The highest point total Villanova has given up this season is 28 (twice.) They have also outscored their opponents 135-30 in the first quarter. In fact, only two teams have scored against them in the first quarter (UNH and Holy Cross.)

I think those are all valid reasons why i think Villanova will win.

TokyoGriz
December 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Montana's 13 FCS opponents average only 126.35 rushing yards per game, therefore The Griz hold their FCS opponents to an average of 35 yards below that number. If it was the same against Villanova (again factoring in only FCS opponents,) Montana would give up nearly 210 yards against Villanova
Villanova Gives up only 2.28 yards per carry and 13.57 points per game on defense , last season's NC, Richmond by comparison gave up 2.94 ypc and 15.63 ppg respectively.
Villanova ranks third in the nation in turnovers lost and 11th in the nation in turnover margin. They have not lost a turnover since the final regular season game of the year.
The highest point total Villanova has given up this season is 28 (twice.) They have also outscored their opponents 135-30 in the first quarter. In fact, only two teams have scored against them in the first quarter (UNH and Holy Cross.)

These are all good points.

One thing I would say though is this years team has lost several games on paper if you look at the stats, given up more points than normal etc, total yards allowed, time of possesion you name it.

Yet they still manage to win the game.

This team finds ways to win games and I think you will see that happen again on friday.

The Grizzlies are also a big second half team. I dont have the numbers exactly but im sure they have way outscored their opponents in the 2nd half. Just ask South Dakota State. If the Offense (Selle) is on then 28 points isnt going to be hard with a good pass/run game. Hard to stop both. Most teams focus on one then lose via the other so far this year.

GRIZCLAW
December 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM

I'm sure all your points are accurate and they are well taken. To be honest, when I'm not so tired and have a minute, I'll do some comparison stats. I would say that stats don't tell the entire story. As an example, the Griz scored 61 points on one of the best defenses in the country and held one of the best offensive teams in the country to zero, i.e. 51-0. However, all said in the spirit of good sportsmanship and good will!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

grizband
December 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM

True, however, seven of Montana's opponents so far this year rank in the top 20 in passing yards/game...I don't know where i was going with that, just thought it was interesting.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
True, however, seven of Montana's opponents so far this year rank in the top 20 in passing yards/game

Yeah that's a very good point. Villanova's outstanding rushing defense numbers do come with the luxury of playing against run-based teams. They definitely focus much more on stopping the run than the pass.

Shellin
December 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah that's a very good point. Villanova's outstanding rushing defense numbers do come with the luxury of playing against run-based teams. They definitely focus much more on stopping the run than the pass.

With that said though, they certainly have been awfully effective at stopping it :) Personally I think Selle is going to be the key to winning this game for us. I think Nova will be able to stop/at least slow down our running game and we'll need Selle to come up big for us in the passing game as a result.

VUCats02
December 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Nova will get their rushing yards, and montana will get their passing yards - I think that's pretty safe to say. The question is, which is more likely to happen, Nova being successful in the passing game, or Montana being successful in the running game against Nova's killer rushing defense?

Hoyadestroya85
December 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
With that said though, they certainly have been awfully effective at stopping it :) Personally I think Selle is going to be the key to winning this game for us. I think Nova will be able to stop/at least slow down our running game and we'll need Selle to come up big for us in the passing game as a result.

The Biggest key in my mind is whether or not Selle will be able to protect the ball.. Chris Whitney really doesn't turn the ball over which puts the onus on Selle to protect the ball. We're not going to try to key on Mariani which other teams will do, we'd rather stop an entire aspect of the offense than one specific player. I have no doubt in my mind that Mariani will make some plays, but i'd rather shut down the running game and try to contain Mariani than try to shut down Mariani and try to contain the running game. That was the fundamental flaw in app state's strategy.

TokyoGriz
December 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Selle was 11 of 27 for 161 yards. Not to impressive to say the least but we still win the app state game. To his credit He only coughed up one turnover.

I really think the weather got to him. AE didnt seem affected, except for his knee maybe not loosening up, preventing the run a bit.

Selle just has to be a bit more on target which I think he can/will do. Alot of balls were ovethrown by him last game. Hes been like this all season. But I dont remember him having 2 real off passing games in a row so here hoping. xpeacex

Griz pass offensive clicking will relieve some pressure on the run. South Dakota state was statisticlly one of the best defenses in the FCS. But we ran up 61 points on them ONCE PASS GAME got in sync.

I dont see us getting 61 on nova but if we can get our pass offense in sync we are going to win, and win fairly big.

If Selle performs like yesterday then ya its going to be a low scoring slug fest.

gbhmt
December 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM

A few counters:

1. Montana's opponents have not been big on rushing, but that also means that we've put almost all of our focus on defense to slowing down extremely potent passing attacks.
2. Villanova has better defensive stats than Richmond last year, but on the other hand, Montana is better offensively this year. This year Montana is 9th in total offense and first in scoring offense, while last year we were 26th in total offense and first in scoring offense, but averaged 5 points less a game.
3. Montana is second in turnovers gained.
4. Montana has outscored their opponents 460-198 in the last three quarters. Montana hasn't been scored on in the 4th quarter in the playoffs.

Seems that both teams are playing their strengths against the other's weaknesses. Formula for a great game!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm pulling for the Griz. I just can't bring myself to root for 'Nova. The only good thing is it would give PA it's first national championship since PSU in '86. Given how much good football that's played here, that's pretty hard to believe imo.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
A few counters:

1. Montana's opponents have not been big on rushing, but that also means that we've put almost all of our focus on defense to slowing down extremely potent passing attacks.
2. Villanova has better defensive stats than Richmond last year, but on the other hand, Montana is better offensively this year. This year Montana is 9th in total offense and first in scoring offense, while last year we were 26th in total offense and first in scoring offense, but averaged 5 points less a game.
3. Montana is second in turnovers gained.
4. Montana has outscored their opponents 460-198 in the last three quarters. Montana hasn't been scored on in the 4th quarter in the playoffs.

Seems that both teams are playing their strengths against the other's weaknesses. Formula for a great game!

I'll counter your counters (or at least the ones i can counter) xthumbsupx

The fact that Montana's opponents haven't been big on rushing was the crux of my argument. Montana is probably above average to good at defending the run, but their stats look more impressive from a casual glance but when you really dig into the numbers, it's more a function of the fact that they play against pass heavy offenses.
Villanova will give up a lot of yards, but our redzone defense has been very very good and we tend to make teams settle for field goals instead of touchdowns.
There is one huge outlier in which they other team coughed the ball up 10 times.
Montana has given up more points in the final three quarters of games than Villanova's total points allowed (198-190)

And I totally agree, all the makings of a great game

I expect your counter of my counter of your original counter shortly xsmiley_wix

Torgo
December 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Montana has given up more points in the final three quarters of games than Villanova's total points allowed (198-190)

Which is nothing more than a product of playing in a far more offensive-based conference. Passing teams are going to put more points on the board than running teams and, as its been said, the Griz played 7 of the top 20 passing attacks in the nation this season. Villanova played 1 (Holy Cross).

That doesn't take anything away from what the Wildcats did defensively this season, just adding a qualifier there.

Strength vs. Weakness everywhere in this match-up...its going to be a doozy.

19Duke97
December 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Should be an excellent game, really tough to call, but I have Nova by 1 21-20. Montana has not faced a defense quite this good all year. On the flip side, Montana is probably the largest team Villanova has faced. It's a speed vs power matchup. Speed wins by an inch.

SCBluehen
December 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I'm pulling for the Griz. I just can't bring myself to root for 'Nova. The only good thing is it would give PA it's first national championship since PSU in '86. Given how much good football that's played here, that's pretty hard to believe imo.

Allegheny College - D3 Champ in 1990

Rekdiver
December 15th, 2009, 09:33 AM
If Montana does anything but run with theoccasional pass they will lose this game. Keep Nova offense off the field.

Hellgate60
December 15th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Something that is interesting is that Griz have scored more points in each round than all the other teams in the round. I hope that continues and they score the most in the championship round

JMU Newbill
December 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Reynolds vs. Sczcur... those are your two x-factors.

I like Villanova eeking it out by 4 (35-31), possibly in overtime.

Has a NC game ever gone to overtime?

Crackgina
December 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Really shocking that the JMU posters have Montana losing a close game. Kinda still bitter after eating crow last year?

Silenoz
December 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
If Montana does anything but run with theoccasional pass they will lose this game. Keep Nova offense off the field.

Last game was an anomaly of drops and bad passes. Our passing game will probably be the key against Nova and their stiff run D.

Husky4Life
December 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I like Villanova big in this game. Call me crazy...

Native
December 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I like Villanova big in this game. Call me crazy...

Crazy! xnodx xlolx xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Reynolds vs. Sczcur... those are your two x-factors.

I like Villanova eeking it out by 4 (35-31), possibly in overtime.

Has a NC game ever gone to overtime?

You can't win by 4 in overtime.:D

I think Villanova has to get the ball in Sczcur's hands more than they did in the W&M game. After the first half, I would've told you that W&M has the best defense of the past 5 years, but then Sczcur started getting the ball and the offense was chugging along. But, given Montana's size, I think they're going to have to find different ways of getting him the ball than just the wildcat, maybe some WR screens and reverses (which they do, but might need to do more often). The Montana D will need to use their size to clog the middle with their D-line and let the DBs worry about the corners and beyond. If 'Nova can consistently get to the second level between the tackles, I think it's going to be a long day for the Griz defense (I know, I know, that's not terribly insightful, but it is what it is).

On the other side of the ball, it's size vs. speed. The 3-3-5 makes Villanova faster than the average bear (zing!). The holes will be there when the Big Grizzlies push the front three around, but will Chase Reynolds' vision be good enough (no doubt it's really good) to anticipate which holes are going to get filled by a fast DB? And just like Sczcur, Mariani's got to get his hands on the ball. Like somebody said, he's more of a pure receiver, so slants and screens are probably a good bet (everybody knows that Nova's gonna be blitzing like crazy).

Ultimately, I think Montana's going to have to be successful throwing the ball to win the game while I think Nova will be able to run fairly successfully (probably not hitting their average, though). A smart coach once said, there are three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad. Given those odds and the fact I think Montana's gonna have to pass to win, I picked the Wildcats (I had this as my championship game in the pick 'em and went with 'Nova.)

HLNgriz
December 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Chase will not be running outside much, straight down hill. He will punish who every tackles him. TBF will do the same when he gives Chase a break. We need to stay out of long passing downs which will make our TE's deadly with a blitzing D. I think most people do not give the Montana D enough credit. They play within themselves (except TJ, another stroy) and how the coaches want them to. It drives us crazy but we are 14-0?

BearIt
December 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Really shocking that the JMU posters have Montana losing a close game.

We're gaining ground. 4 weeks ago in the eyes of most posters on this board we were going to get blown out by every team we faced because we play in a weak conference and have a weak schedule. That was the only reason we were undefeated, not that we were good.

If you would have asked the same JMU posters at that time what the final score of Villanova vs. Mt would be and your answer would have been 45-7. Montana would stand no chance against the CAA. Now they predicat a close loss. Their opinion of Montana has definately changed.xnodx

Here are things I heard on this board by multitudes of posters about Montana that have been proven false: untested, slow, fat offensive line, unalthletic, could barely beat ISU so they can't beat anyone "good", MT will have no answer to our team speed, you've never face a D like ours...(61 points later), can't win away from home (2008 myth)...I'm sure I missed some, but you get the picture.

Hopefully Friday Montana shuts up all naysayers and they will bow to us as the best team in the land.xbowxxbowxxbowx

Montana 31 Villanova 24

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Bear it- have you noticed that most of the comments likened to:
"4 weeks ago in the eyes of most posters on this board we were going to get blown out by every team we faced because we play in a weak conference and have a weak schedule. That was the only reason we were undefeated, not that we were good."
Seem to come from a particular geographic sector of the nation?

I posted the following in the Predictions for 2010" thread, but perhaps it is better suited in this thread....
"Well, Spiderbone, I don't think anybody from the Griz fan base was counting on your support. CAA fans aren't known for being magnanimous. Go meet an Appalachian or Georgia Southern fan. Are they confident? Yes? Do they have some grace about it? Absolutely. Their programs have history and tradition (heck, they even fill up big stadiums).

Deleware is the only CAA team that can claim a history and tradition of football success. When I hear fans from Richmond and Nova and JMU pop off and tell the rest of the league how many teams they are going to knock off, I can't help but draw a comparison to a boy band. It's like the Jonas Brothers bragging to Mick Jagger about how many more stadiums they are going to sell out on their tour.

I think Richmond has made it to the quarterfinals a handful of times, but only gone past the quarters in 07 and 08. Congrats- you won the title last year. You had a great team. That was an "up" year. I don't think that the athletic directors in Northern Iowa or McNeese State are hoping that they can sneak some success during one of your "down years".

Coach Talley shoots his mouth off about the "pedigree" of his team and how they "didn't dodge anybody". He claims that any team co-member of his conference that can beat his team will undoubtedly beat anybody. Guess what, Andy? you haven't even played the big stage yet. And no- by big stage I do not mean the season opener with the Temple Owls. By the way he talks, you would think that he was coaching the Ohio State in the 1960's.

I am not saying that Villanova (or any CAA team) can't be a football champion. Just try to remember that schools like Montana, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, App State, McNeese, and Northern Iowa have been whipping you for decades. We might be a little reluctant to feed you the respect which you seem to believe you so richly deserve."

Native
December 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Bear it- have you noticed that most of the comments likened to:
"4 weeks ago in the eyes of most posters on this board we were going to get blown out by every team we faced because we play in a weak conference and have a weak schedule. That was the only reason we were undefeated, not that we were good."
Seem to come from a particular geographic sector of the nation?

I posted the following in the Predictions for 2010" thread, but perhaps it is better suited in this thread....
"Well, Spiderbone, I don't think anybody from the Griz fan base was counting on your support. CAA fans aren't known for being magnanimous. Go meet an Appalachian or Georgia Southern fan. Are they confident? Yes? Do they have some grace about it? Absolutely. Their programs have history and tradition (heck, they even fill up big stadiums).

Deleware is the only CAA team that can claim a history and tradition of football success. When I hear fans from Richmond and Nova and JMU pop off and tell the rest of the league how many teams they are going to knock off, I can't help but draw a comparison to a boy band. It's like the Jonas Brothers bragging to Mick Jagger about how many more stadiums they are going to sell out on their tour.

I think Richmond has made it to the quarterfinals a handful of times, but only gone past the quarters in 07 and 08. Congrats- you won the title last year. You had a great team. That was an "up" year. I don't think that the athletic directors in Northern Iowa or McNeese State are hoping that they can sneak some success during one of your "down years".

Coach Talley shoots his mouth off about the "pedigree" of his team and how they "didn't dodge anybody". He claims that any team co-member of his conference that can beat his team will undoubtedly beat anybody. Guess what, Andy? you haven't even played the big stage yet. And no- by big stage I do not mean the season opener with the Temple Owls. By the way he talks, you would think that he was coaching the Ohio State in the 1960's.

I am not saying that Villanova (or any CAA team) can't be a football champion. Just try to remember that schools like Montana, Youngstown State, Georgia Southern, App State, McNeese, and Northern Iowa have been whipping you for decades. We might be a little reluctant to feed you the respect which you seem to believe you so richly deserve."

Well said, Duck, but I must note an exception to the CAA mentality you rightfully criticize.

William and Mary is a good program and most of their fans are not too big for their britches. The Tribe were gracious hosts to Weber, with knowledgeable and friendly football fans. I would hope they would say the same of Weber is the tables were turned.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Am glad to hear that they treated you well, Native. I hope that their attitudes did not mimic the flash-in-the-pan arrogance that exudes from the posters here. I remember when the Griz first enjoyed some consistent success back in 94. I don't recall Don Read telling the media how much better we were than Jim Tressell's Youngstown State team.

I hope the Weber State team gets another chance at the playoffs next year.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I pick the Grizzlies by 11 over the Villanova Menudo. Have a bet with a friend here in Billings who is a Villanova alum who played ball there in the 90's.

I think someone should suggest that Coach Talley bring his "pedigree" to Missoula for a game. Let's see if his pedigreed poodles can play in Wa-Griz stadium. Albany and Maine did it... so can can Villanova.

Grrrrriz
December 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Nova has played exactly ONE top 20 passing team (the Griz have played 7). That team was Holy Cross. Whom Nova beat by 10, I would say it was safe to assume everyone expected that to be a blowout. We are going to pass all over Nova. I would expect Friday to be the Mariani/Palmer/Sambrano/Pfahler/Beaudin show. We have probably the best O Line in the FCS. We will run with Chase Reynolds, and get yards. I say between him and TBF we get about 175 yards rushing, Selle will throw for about 350. Griz win by 10-14

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Am glad to hear that they treated you well, Native. I hope that their attitudes did not mimic the flash-in-the-pan arrogance that exudes from the posters here. I remember when the Griz first enjoyed some consistent success back in 94. I don't recall Don Read telling the media how much better we were than Jim Tressell's Youngstown State team.

I hope the Weber State team gets another chance at the playoffs next year.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Says the guy who joined during his team's playoff run...please tell us what led you to join. Did you tell yourself "okay, once we win 14 BSC titles, that's when I'm joining, THAT's when our success will justify my inclusion at AGS"?

Look, I'd be foolish to say that JMU has had the kind of success that Montana has had, but "flash-in-the-pan" is perhaps showing a little arrogance (ignorance) on your part. Since the '94 timeframe you mention, JMU and Delaware have made the playoffs the same number of times and won the same number of championships. I will grant that UD's history before that is much more storied and only offer that to rebut the "flash-in-the-pan" nonsense.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Nova has played exactly ONE top 20 passing team (the Griz have played 7). That team was Holy Cross. Whom Nova beat by 10, I would say it was safe to assume everyone expected that to be a blowout. We are going to pass all over Nova. I would expect Friday to be the Mariani/Palmer/Sambrano/Pfahler/Beaudin show. We have probably the best O Line in the FCS. We will run with Chase Reynolds, and get yards. I say between him and TBF we get about 175 yards rushing, Selle will throw for about 350. Griz win by 10-14

Eaaaaasy there. 175 on the ground is very ambitious with this defense. And while I do think we will do very well in the air, that will depend on how well the O line can block for Selle. We all know he's not the most composed QB in the pocket.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Dude, put the pipe down. 175 yards rushing and 350 passing. So just your normal, ho hum, 525 yards of total offense day?

Hey, nova can be passed on, there's no doubt about that. Devlin got tons of yards against nova, and the kid from Holy Cross did too. But remember, the Holy Cross kid is a legit NFL draftpick coming up in April and Devlin probably will be too after next season - these aren't just run of the mill passers.

I think Montana will get their passing yards, but unless they break a big run or two, they aren't going to run at will against nova.

NovaWildcat
December 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think someone should suggest that Coach Talley bring his "pedigree" to Missoula for a game. Let's see if his pedigreed poodles can play in Wa-Griz stadium. Albany and Maine did it... so can can Villanova.

No reason why Villanova would do that. Costs too much money.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
No reason why Villanova would do that. Costs too much money.

Even with transportation costs, playing at Montana would probably be a more lucrative money game for the Wildcats than playing at Temple. xnodx

The Griz average more than 8,000 per game greater attendance than the Owls. xreadx

Harder to win in Missoula, though... xrolleyesx

Grrrrriz
December 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Dude, put the pipe down. 175 yards rushing and 350 passing. So just your normal, ho hum, 525 yards of total offense day?

Hey, nova can be passed on, there's no doubt about that. Devlin got tons of yards against nova, and the kid from Holy Cross did too. But remember, the Holy Cross kid is a legit NFL draftpick coming up in April and Devlin probably will be too after next season - these aren't just run of the mill passers.

I think Montana will get their passing yards, but unless they break a big run or two, they aren't going to run at will against nova.

The 175 number was obviously an over exaggerated homer number, but I do think we will get at least 100-125 rushing yards. They are not very good against the pass, I think the TE's will probably get a lot of mid range to short range passes. We have a better rushing attack then either Delaware or Holy Cross, an incredibly efficient passer, and the top scoring offense. In addition, our O line might be the best they have faced. We don't get sacked much, and getting to the quarterback is going to be a real problem for them. We will be able to win this game even if we only run for 80 yards.

In addtion, our Normal ho-hum day of offensive production is 431.09 yds per game. If Nova sells out on the run, like they have been all year we will get 525 no problem, and we will still be able to rush the ball semi effectively.

GannonFan
December 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
The 175 number was obviously an over exaggerated homer number, but I do think we will get at least 100-125 rushing yards. They are not very good against the pass, I think the TE's will probably get a lot of mid range to short range passes. We have a better rushing attack then either Delaware or Holy Cross, an incredibly efficient passer, and the top scoring offense. In addition, our O line might be the best they have faced. We don't get sacked much, and getting to the quarterback is going to be a real problem for them. We will be able to win this game even if we only run for 80 yards.

In addtion, our Normal ho-hum day of offensive production is 431.09 yds per game. If Nova sells out on the run, like they have been all year we will get 525 no problem, and we will still be able to rush the ball semi effectively.

A lot depends on Montana's o-line. They were touted very much like you are touting them now last year, especially after beating JMU, and people said Richmond wouldn't be able to get pressure. And all we saw in the title game was Montana's o-line getting beat play after play. How much better Montana's o-line does against pressure this year versus last year could spell the difference. If nova gets any pressure, that bodes very badly for Montana.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Interesting perspective about the passing teams faced. Holy Cross was indeed able to throw for 347 yards against Villanova, so you may have a point.

On the other hand, although I admire Reynolds, I can't see him and TBF running for any 175 yards against the Wildcat defense.

gbhmt
December 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
A lot depends on Montana's o-line. They were touted very much like you are touting them now last year, especially after beating JMU, and people said Richmond wouldn't be able to get pressure. And all we saw in the title game was Montana's o-line getting beat play after play. How much better Montana's o-line does against pressure this year versus last year could spell the difference. If nova gets any pressure, that bodes very badly for Montana.

The difference is last year Montana's line was lauded for its run blocking. Our pass protection was very bad all year last year. Last year we gave up 55 sacks. This year we've given up 17. I've been very pleasantly surprised by our O line this year, as I expected it to be a very big problem considering all the talent we graduated off that line. Honestly, I haven't been completely convinced of our run blocking this year until recently. But we've been doing very well protecting the QB this year.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Prepare to be shocked. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

A timely and soon to be accurate warning issued to Griz fans right herexlolx

Crackgina
December 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Russum had three surgeries after the season and could barely stand on his leg during the championship game. Quinn hurt his shoulder in the semi's and Hillesland hurt his knee in the semis. Gee I wonder if that allowed Richmond to "dominate"? Not an excuse but sometimes you have to know all the facts before yapping.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
This is a defense predicated on creating confusion.. You never know how an O-Line (or a quarterback) will play against it. It's not a defense you see every day. The best quarterback I've ever seen play against Villanova (Joe Flacco) had the worst game of his career against us.

soccerguy315
December 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I think it is a little bit unrealistic to expect Montana to put up 100 yards of offense more than their average against arguably the best team they will see this year.

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM

and minus one day of rest

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM

"
xhurrayxxhurrayx

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

Says the guy who joined during his team's playoff run...please tell us what led you to join. Did you tell yourself "okay, once we win 14 BSC titles, that's when I'm joining, THAT's when our success will justify my inclusion at AGS"?

Look, I'd be foolish to say that JMU has had the kind of success that Montana has had, but "flash-in-the-pan" is perhaps showing a little arrogance (ignorance) on your part. Since the '94 timeframe you mention, JMU and Delaware have made the playoffs the same number of times and won the same number of championships. I will grant that UD's history before that is much more storied and only offer that to rebut the "flash-in-the-pan" nonsense.

No, I have posted in years past. I chime in when I see a bunch of over-stuffed CAA fans spouting about their inherent superiority. I forget what my login ID was from the previous year and apply for a new one.

What made you join, mcVeryl? Did women's lacrosse season end? Or did the Jonas brothers stop touring?

Native
December 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
This is a defense predicated on creating confusion.. You never know how an O-Line (or a quarterback) will play against it. It's not a defense you see every day. The best quarterback I've ever seen play against Villanova (Joe Flacco) had the worst game of his career against us.

Yet, fewer than 3 weeks ago, Dom Randolph hit more than 60% of his passes against the Wildcats, for 347 yards and 3 TDs with no interceptions. xrolleyesx

Grrrrriz
December 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I honestly think that this years O line is better, especially in pass protection. We have given up 17 sacks this year. We have given up less sacks this entire year than in the first 3 games of last year. Also, there was an absolute FREAK named Sidwell last year. Interestingly enough, he and Kroy Biermann are on the same team now. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Yet, fewer than 3 weeks ago, Dom Randolph hit more than 60% of his passes against the Wildcats, for 347 yards and 3 TDs with no interceptions. xrolleyesx

Dominic Randolph was an anomaly.. The speed at which he was able to get the ball off was Marinoesque. If anyone tries to make an argument that Andrew Selle is as good as Dominic Randolph, they should be hit over the head with a large object.

Silenoz
December 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Dominic - 146.27
Andrew - 153.30

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Dominic - 146.27
Andrew - 153.30

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Total Offense:

Dominic- 354.67
Andrew- 199.29

Points Responsible For:

Dominic- 20.5
Andrew- 11.43

Considering Villanova was ahead by at least a score the entire second half, the fact that Randolph only had 33 yards passing higher than his season average and didn't reach his season average for total offense, i'd say Villanova did about par for the course in defending him.

GolfingGriz
December 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Its all on the O-line. If they give Selle time, they will shred Nova. You can't guard Mariani, Sambrano, and Gratton man to man. If Nova uses zone blitzing, Beaudin and Pfahler will find holes in the D.

If Nova gets to Selle, the griz D will have to play the best it did all season long to have a chance. Probably slim at best.

Shellin
December 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Dominic Randolph was an anomaly.. The speed at which he was able to get the ball off was Marinoesque. If anyone tries to make an argument that Andrew Selle is as good as Dominic Randolph, they should be hit over the head with a large object.

I agree with you. Our best chance (and probably our only chance) at being successful offensively against Nova is to be balanced. Selle isn't better than Randolph but his supporting cast is better, we need to run the ball well enough to at the very least keep you guys honest which has been our problem the last two times we've been to the championship game, we abandoned all efforts to run the football before the first quarter was even over. Last year Reynolds only had 12 carries and Bergquist threw the ball 36 times, in 2004 Lex Hilliard only had 12 carries and Craig Ochs threw the ball 38 times. It's a tall order for sure but I think our ground game (particularly the offensive line) is better than it was last year when Richmond's D-Line man handled us.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Its all on the O-line. If they give Selle time, they will shred Nova. You can't guard Mariani, Sambrano, and Gratton man to man. If Nova uses zone blitzing, Beaudin and Pfahler will find holes in the D.

If Nova gets to Selle, the griz D will have to play the best it did all season long to have a chance. Probably slim at best.

How often it really comes down to the trenches, and how infrequently we truthfully acknowledge this fact.

GolfingGriz
December 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I agree with you. Our best chance (and probably our only chance) at being successful offensively against Nova is to be balanced. Selle isn't better than Randolph but his supporting cast is better, we need to run the ball well enough to at the very least keep you guys honest which has been our problem the last two times we've been to the championship game, we abandoned all efforts to run the football before the first quarter was even over. Last year Reynolds only had 12 carries and Bergquist threw the ball 36 times, in 2004 Lex Hilliard only had 12 carries and Craig Ochs threw the ball 38 times. It's a tall order for sure but I think our ground game (particularly the offensive line) is better than it was last year when Richmond's D-Line man handled us.

Balance would have definately helped us last year to keep Richmond's D-ends honest. IN 04 however I don't think we needed balance. JMU had zero chance to guard our receivers that game. Too much speed from Hancock, Heidelberger, and Segars; too much height with Talmage and too much freakish ability from Walden. Come to think of it this reminds me alot of our receiving core this year...

GolfingGriz
December 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
How often it really comes down to the trenches, and how infrequently we truthfully acknowledge this fact.

To some extent on message boards yes, but the people who know football know its the most important area to look at. There is no luck involved when winning the lines of scrimmage. Its just who is tougher, better athletically, better coached, and ultimately who wants it more. Our 2001 championship was built around our O-line. Nothing flashy, just five Montana boys on a mission. These guys were currently have remind me alot of the 2001 line.

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM

He's suprisingly fast too, Great W&M D plus the slick field conditions, both may have given you that impression if that's all you saw of him this year. .

After I'd written the earlier stuff about him it occurred to me that maybe his strength is that he has good vision and knows where to go quickly. In other words, maybe he just hits the best "spot" right off the bat then he had enough speed to gain big yards without having to do a lot of juking and jiving. That skill should not be underestimated.

It's just that I really didn't get to see him do one of those things where someone's got a shot to tackle him and he either eludes them or breaks the tackle then makes a big play. You know, like Adrian Peterson against Youngstown State in the title game where several guys had a chance to tackle him and he just threw them aside. Or like Armanti Edwards where people have a shot at him and they whiff. It might have happened while I was flipping channels because I was watching Louisiana high school championship games at the same time but I didn't get to see it.

I did see the Montana running back do stuff like that though. He repeatedly beat people who were in good position to tackle him either breaking the tackle and/or making a move. A lot of yards after contact. I think he was the top player on the field in terms of making yards when defenders were in position to stop him. And that's saying something with Edwards on the field; even given I don't think those ere the best conditions for Armanti. The Montana back really surprised me. If that was typical of him he's very good.

GrizDuck
December 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
So speaking of quarterbacks and Selle....why hasn't Roper taken many snaps as of late? I didn't see him at all in the App State game, which I found odd considering Selle was overthrowing everybody on the field.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
After I'd written the earlier stuff about him it occurred to me that maybe his strength is that he has good vision and knows where to go quickly. In other words, maybe he just hits the best "spot" right off the bat then he had enough speed to gain big yards without having to do a lot of juking and jiving. That skill should not be underestimated.

Points well taken, John, but in order for a quarterback to find a receiver who wanders off his planned route to "hit the best spot," that quarterback has to have plenty of extra time to find the receiver in the unplanned location after checking down through his entire planned list of routes, either by using a great pair of legs or being blessed with great protection by his big hawgs up front.

Anovafan
December 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
To put this one to bed:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20091214_It_s_Villanova-Montana_in_FCS_championship_game.html

"I got a lot of hate e-mails," he recalled. "You know, they really bombarded me. Some of it was pretty rough. It was a dumb statement by me, but I was just sort of sticking up for the league.

"Those people got upset about it. It just goes to show how serious they are about their program, and they're very protective of it."

charliej
December 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
The most odd and obscure names on the 'Nova squad....

What?...You mean Griz don't have any Irish kids on the squad? xlolxxlolxxlolx

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
To put this one to bed:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20091214_It_s_Villanova-Montana_in_FCS_championship_game.html

"I got a lot of hate e-mails," he recalled. "You know, they really bombarded me. Some of it was pretty rough. It was a dumb statement by me, but I was just sort of sticking up for the league.

"Those people got upset about it. It just goes to show how serious they are about their program, and they're very protective of it."

LOL! He did OK until he said what he said in that last paragraph:

"We're just so battle-tested, with the animals we've played. I don't think they can be any better than anybody we've already seen."

Break out the bulletin board pins!

Native
December 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
...the people who know football know its the most important area to look at. There is no luck involved when winning the lines of scrimmage. Its just who is tougher, better athletically, better coached, and ultimately who wants it more. Our 2001 championship was built around our O-line. Nothing flashy, just five Montana boys on a mission. These guys were currently have remind me alot of the 2001 line.

xoutofrepx

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
If that's an insult.. Then I'd hate to see what you guys would be reacting like if Steve Spurrier was Villanova's coach

Grrrrriz
December 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
If that's an insult.. Then I'd hate to see what you guys would be reacting like if Steve Spurrier was Villanova's coach

If Hauck said it, you would view it as an insult also...don't be ridiculous.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
If Hauck said it, you would view it as an insult also...don't be ridiculous.

No, Mickey Matthews coaches in the CAA.. People say things. As to whether or not Andy Talley was wrong.. That Temple team we played turned out to be pretty damn good.

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
No, Mickey Matthews coaches in the CAA.. People say things. As to whether or not Andy Talley was wrong.. That Temple team we played turned out to be pretty damn good.

Objectively, Villanova has played teams that are at least comparable to Montana. But it's like saying, "They're nothing special." You know what I'm talking about. It's bulletin board material.

To really get into parsing too...he said "anybody." He didn't say Montana isn't any better than some of the teams they've played. He said they're not any better than any of team.

I think this guy needs some coach speak lessons. He needs to watch Nick Saban being interviewed by the ESPN guys complaining about how they're making Texas the underdog.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Objectively, Villanova has played teams that are at least comparable to Montana. But it's like saying, "They're nothing special." You know what I'm talking about. It's bulletin board material.

To really get into parsing too...he said "anybody." He didn't say Montana isn't any better than some of the teams they've played. He said they're not any better than any of team.

I think this guy needs some coach speak lessons. He needs to watch Nick Saban being interviewed by the ESPN guys complaining about how they're making Texas the underdog.

People are mincing his words way too much, the media loves Andy Talley because he speaks his mind, but he's not going to go out of his way to give another coach bulletin board material and If Bobby Hauck is able to get his team angry over that then he should be coaching in the NFL. The guy has been effusively praising Montana and their players the entire week but people decide to pick that one quote.

JohnStOnge
December 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
People are mincing his words way too much, the media loves Andy Talley because he speaks his mind, but he's not going to go out of his way to give another coach bulletin board material and If Bobby Hauck is able to get his team angry over that then he should be coaching in the NFL. The guy has been effusively praising Montana and their players the entire week but people decide to pick that one quote.

Hey, I just saw that one article. It was just ironic that in an artcile talking about bulletin board material the last paragraph is bulletin board material.

VUCats02
December 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Montana fans are seriously getting angry at those comments by Talley? hahahahahahahaha. That's my only reaction to you Montana fans who are insulted by Talley's comments. He wasn't taking a shot at Montana at all! He was praising your program. All's he was saying is that he thinks we have played a tough schedule that will make us better prepared to play a team as good as Montana? You folks in Montana need to learn how to just loosen up a little. You're blowing his comments WAY out of proportion.

VUCats02
December 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Montana fans are seriously getting angry at those comments by Talley? hahahahahahahaha. That's my only reaction to you Montana fans who are insulted by Talley's comments. He wasn't taking a shot at Montana at all! He was praising your program. All's he was saying is that he thinks we have played a tough schedule that will make us better prepared to play a team as good as Montana. You folks in Montana need to learn how to just loosen up a little. You're blowing his comments WAY out of proportion.

Grrrrriz
December 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Andrew Selle may not be a better QB than Dom...but here is a list of positions that the Griz are better at:

Tackle
Guard
Tight End
Running Back
Wide Reciever
Defensive Tackle
Defensive End
Linebacker
Defensive Back
Punter

Holy Cross might have a better kicker.

***EDIT FORGOT TO ADD: CENTER

elkmcc
December 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Montana fans are seriously getting angry at those comments by Talley? hahahahahahahaha. That's my only reaction to you Montana fans who are insulted by Talley's comments. He wasn't taking a shot at Montana at all! He was praising your program. All's he was saying is that he thinks we have played a tough schedule that will make us better prepared to play a team as good as Montana. You folks in Montana need to learn how to just loosen up a little. You're blowing his comments WAY out of proportion.

What Mr Tally don't understand is that when he insulted the Griz he insulted Bobby Hauck. BH is a native Montanan and a 3'rd generation Griz. I've seen BH overconfident and lose but I've never seen BH be insulted and lose.

GrizzlyBill
December 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Well, there you have it — The University of Montana is known in the West as a hotbed of pinko, lefthanded, liberals and tree huggers like me. So, maybe we are natural rivals to Villanova, and we can settle a lot more than football on Friday night--maybe even global warming.

If we win, the Public Option for health insurance wins. If you win, the ice caps all melt and the sea rises 6 feet.

Native
December 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, there you have it — The University of Montana is known in the West as a hotbed of pinko, lefthanded, liberals and tree huggers like me. So, maybe we are natural rivals to Villanova, and we can settle a lot more than football on Friday night--maybe even global warming.

If we win, the Public Option for health insurance wins. If you win, the ice caps all melt and the sea rises 6 feet.

Geez this sucks. NOW who do I root for?!???

Oh, well. I don't like Booby Hauck, but at least I know he is a patriot and not a left wing nut.

crusader11
December 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Yup, he's that good. Shame that it took him until the very last game of his career to get some true national recognition and the respect from the rest of the FCS world.

Hoyadestroya85
December 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yup, he's that good. Shame that it took him until the very last game of his career to get some true national recognition and the respect from the rest of the FCS world.

Still the best quarterback I saw all year.. You HC fans can thank god that his HS coach was stupid enough to leave him on the bench. xlolxxlolx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Villanova 21, Montana 10. 'Nova scores a late TD off a takeaway to relieve the tension of an incredibly well-played defensive contest. Tough to pick against a 14-0 juggernaut, but Villanova has already beaten the best defense in the country twice (W&M) and shut down some of the nation's best offenses.

We will certainly find out just how good Villanova's defensive front and LB really are. I am betting that they are as good as they've shown during the CAA campaign and the 1st three games of the tournament.

I also think that Montana's defensive line will have trouble hanging in there against Nova's huge offensive line and its inexorable push, push, push, push, .....

The Grizz' Reynolds is talented, but will get hemmed in vs "Nova D. Conversely, Cszcur (or however it is spelled!) will break UM followers hearts before the game is over. He has against 13 opponents so far this year, ...

I also think that QB play advantage goes to Villanova, especially the simple, but powerfully effective Whitney as he gains key yards off a variety of draws, options, and designed runs.

The Wildcard of the night is obviously Montana's Mariani. If he can get going, look out. However, I just don't think that UM will have the protection needed to consistently to get him the football.

Should be a great FCS showcase. I recommend taping it for posterity! Good luck to both teams. xthumbsupx

crusader11
December 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Andrew Selle may not be a better QB than Dom...but here is a list of positions that the Griz are better at:

Tackle
Guard
Tight End
Running Back
Wide Reciever
Defensive Tackle
Defensive End
Linebacker
Defensive Back
Punter

Holy Cross might have a better kicker.

***EDIT FORGOT TO ADD: CENTER

Our tight end, and a few of our receivers can play with the best of them. Plus, our offensive tackle is a legit NFL prospect in Aaron Jones.

crusader11
December 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Still the best quarterback I saw all year.. You HC fans can thank god that his HS coach was stupid enough to leave him on the bench. xlolxxlolx

We really do. Best thing that happened to Holy Cross football in a loooooong time. Actually, now that I think about it, not too long. Tom Gilmore was a pretty nice addition not too many years ago.

09griz
December 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Geez this sucks. NOW who do I root for?!???

Oh, well. I don't like Booby Hauck, but at least I know he is a patriot and not a left wing nut.

I guess if pissing on they system you coach all year for and then fishing for a job by praising the whored out corporate BCS makes you a patriot then yes, Bobby Hauck is a real patriot. He'd rather Nokia decide who the national champion is.

Silenoz
December 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Total Offense:

Dominic- 354.67
Andrew- 199.29

Points Responsible For:

Dominic- 20.5
Andrew- 11.43

Considering Villanova was ahead by at least a score the entire second half, the fact that Randolph only had 33 yards passing higher than his season average and didn't reach his season average for total offense, i'd say Villanova did about par for the course in defending him.
Dom didn't have the former starting quarterback for Oregon sharing reps with him for most of the season

Native
December 15th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I guess if pissing on they system you coach all year for and then fishing for a job by praising the whored out corporate BCS makes you a patriot then yes, Bobby Hauck is a real patriot. He'd rather Nokia decide who the national champion is.

Naw. What makes Booby a patriot is the way he supports the troops. xthumbsupx

Anovafan
December 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
LOL! He did OK until he said what he said in that last paragraph:

"We're just so battle-tested, with the animals we've played. I don't think they can be any better than anybody we've already seen."

Break out the bulletin board pins!

I agree with the statement completely, as would most around here. Nova has been to war many times this season. Montana falls right in there with those other teams.

TokyoGriz
December 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Villanova 21, Montana 10. 'Nova scores a late TD off a takeaway to relieve the tension of an incredibly well-played defensive contest. Tough to pick against a 14-0 juggernaut, but Villanova has already beaten the best defense in the country twice (W&M) and shut down some of the nation's best offenses.

What teams with any decent pass offense have they really played besides Holy Cross?

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
What teams with any decent pass offense have they really played besides Holy Cross?

Delaware, William and Mary

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I agree with the statement completely, as would most around here. Nova has been to war many times this season. Montana falls right in there with those other teams.

I don't like the "they can't be better than what we have already faced" comment. Of course we're better. Its the Championship game, the best two teams are left. Comments like these stink of overconfidence. Bobby Hauck clearly knows this as he has already stated that it will take the grizzlies best game to defeat Nova.

He has also stated that this will be the best defense that we have faced all year and I can assure Nova fans that we will be the best offense they have played all year.

I know Nova has played alot of great teams this year, but to openly say that they have already faced competition just as good as Montana is just arrogant and stupid. Hope your coach and team is ready to back up his remarks, cause from where I'm standing crow is on the menu Friday night.

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2009, 12:46 AM

William and Mary...xcoffeex

soccerguy315
December 16th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Richmond wasn't too shabby either...

I know the response to this is going to be "none of those passing offenses are as good as Montana's"

which is probably true, but remember we saw what happened when the #8 passing offense (Weber) met up with the #2 defense (W&M). And Villanova has a very good defense of their own (#5).

I'm not saying Montana doesn't have a chance to win, but the talk of them putting up 500 yards is... just ridiculous.