PDA

View Full Version : Official National Championship Game Preview Thread Part Deux Villanova vs. Montana

Pages : 1 [2]

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Richmond wasn't too shabby either...

I know the response to this is going to be "none of those passing offenses are as good as Montana's"

which is probably true, but remember we saw what happened when the #8 passing offense (Weber) met up with the #2 defense (W&M). And Villanova has a very good defense of their own (#5).

I'm not saying Montana doesn't have a chance to win, but the talk of them putting up 500 yards is... just ridiculous.

We held Weber to 10 points and forced 4 picks and our D isn't on the level of W&M. Pressure Higgins and Weber can be had pretty easily. They just weren't the same team they were last year when they had a healthy Smith.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
We held Weber to 10 points and forced 4 picks and our D isn't on the level of W&M. Pressure Higgins and Weber can be had pretty easily. They just weren't the same team they were last year when they had a healthy Smith.

Higgins was indeed pressured into mistakes this year. He also gambled more than necessary. Then after he lost his first "hand," he had a tendency to throw good money after bad in an effort to catch up.

The difference from last year was not only the health of Trevyn Smith, but also a relatively young, inexperienced and injured offensive line. In my opinion, those hawgs are the most important support component of Higgins' successes.

...and that's why I have high hopes for Higgins' resurgence next year. I expect Weber to have the best O-Line in the BSC in 2010.

bpcats
December 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I think that Montana will struggle throwing the ball, but they will have their shots to make a big play and from what I saw of their defense they didn't have anybody that could cover Mariani for a whole game one on one.

Loper is a very good corner for a freshman, but Marc runs his routes with great precision.

I expect a low scoring affair.

I would have to argue about Weber having the best oline next year. MSU loses their right guard but that is it and we gave up the fewest sacks in the Big Sky last year. UM is very dominant in what they ask their oline to do and will reload accordingly.

WyomingGrizFan
December 16th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Yes, we did lose to JMU twice in 08, but we did beat the then #1 team in the country Richmond, who soundly defeated Montana in the NC game. Go Figure.

One of the reasons that Richmond did so well on their sacks against the Griz (Sidbury, etc.) that game was because the Griz didn't have a healthy RT. Sure we played Brent Russum, who missed a couple games with an ankle injury previously and apparently volunteered to play in the NC; but had to have ankle surgery
right afterwards. He was, at best, maybe 30 - 45 %. His normal replacement, Chris Dyk, didn't play at all; another injury type. Hate to play the injury card but that's what I've heard. Hauck doesn't like to talk about injuries at all, but that's what I've heard from behind the scenes. The Griz, for the most part, were playing ten on offense the entire game. This year it's different. This year has a revenge factor. It's going to be interesting.

Native
December 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM
...I would have to argue about Weber having the best oline next year. MSU loses their right guard but that is it and we gave up the fewest sacks in the Big Sky last year. UM is very dominant in what they ask their oline to do and will reload accordingly.

Very hard to tell at this point. A young offensive lineman has perhaps the greatest potential for improvement from one year to the next.

It seems MSU has four returners on the line for 2010 but lose your tight end Schreibeis. Weber is in a similar position, returning four from among those who finished the season as starters. The differences appear to be that more of our young hawgs came to their starting positions later in the season, and that we expect the return of TE Cody Nakamura for 2010.

Our young line was credited with the same number of "sacks against" as was yours in conference play this year:

SACKS AGAINST G No. Yards
1. Montana 8 11 79
2. Montana State 8 12 77
Weber State 8 12 70

Anyway, I don't think it will take much improvement in our offensive line to engender a big improvement in Higgins' performance next year.

allaboutmontana
December 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Villanova 21, Montana 10. 'Nova scores a late TD off a takeaway to relieve the tension of an incredibly well-played defensive contest. Tough to pick against a 14-0 juggernaut, but Villanova has already beaten the best defense in the country twice (W&M) and shut down some of the nation's best offenses.

We will certainly find out just how good Villanova's defensive front and LB really are. I am betting that they are as good as they've shown during the CAA campaign and the 1st three games of the tournament.

I also think that Montana's defensive line will have trouble hanging in there against Nova's huge offensive line and its inexorable push, push, push, push, .....

The Grizz' Reynolds is talented, but will get hemmed in vs "Nova D. Conversely, Cszcur (or however it is spelled!) will break UM followers hearts before the game is over. He has against 13 opponents so far this year, ...

I also think that QB play advantage goes to Villanova, especially the simple, but powerfully effective Whitney as he gains key yards off a variety of draws, options, and designed runs.

The Wildcard of the night is obviously Montana's Mariani. If he can get going, look out. However, I just don't think that UM will have the protection needed to consistently to get him the football.

Should be a great FCS showcase. I recommend taping it for posterity! Good luck to both teams. xthumbsupx

THINK before you speak! Nova o-line doesnt even come close to Montana's O-line size and or skill, and the fact that Montana didnt get one first team all american on the o-line is an insult.

Pick your poison. Nova blitzes alot, which is going to create match up problems and the opprotunity for big plays. Nova cant stop both Reynolds and Mariani.

As a former and fellow 8-man Montana football player, I respect what Reynolds has done win or lose.

Go Griz!!!!!!

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
No, I have posted in years past. I chime in when I see a bunch of over-stuffed CAA fans spouting about their inherent superiority. I forget what my login ID was from the previous year and apply for a new one.

What made you join, mcVeryl? Did women's lacrosse season end? Or did the Jonas brothers stop touring?

Your obsession with boy bands is disturbing.

Still, you never responded to the fact that JMU has made the playoffs the same number of times as Delaware in the past 15 years (7) and won as many championships (1). Since we are just a flash-in-the-pan, I would imagine that Delaware has been on the decline for some time now.

Grrrrriz
December 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Delaware, William and Mary

You guys have only played 1 team in the top 20 in passing. And that wasn't Delaware or William and Mary. William and Mary is not a good passing team either. Delaware is the best in the CAA and they weren't even that good.

State Line Liquors
December 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'll say that Monty beating App State sure increased Nova's chances of winning. Would have been pretty hilarious to see the way the locusts would've swarmed the yuppies at that tailgate.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I'll reiterate that Montana fans are some of the most sensitive fans I've ever interacted with.

Torgo
December 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'll reiterate that Montana fans are some of the most sensitive fans I've ever interacted with.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

xbawlingx

;)

Grrrrriz
December 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Naah, we just have pride in our program. There must be at least one of your 6 fans that also does.

putter
December 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Montana has to run the ball. Nova's blitzing can cause them problems if you can move the ball (see Sczur's wildcat TD run). Bliltzed to the other side and all he had to do was get passed the DLine and he was gone. Richmond took away the run last year and Montana's coaches became one dimentional allowing Sidbury to run wild over the Griz. Can't happen this year or Nova will win.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Naah, we just have pride in our program. There must be at least one of your 6 fans that also does.

I have plenty of pride in our program, but I don't cry over some perceived insult.

HenZoneNation
December 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM
This is tough to say...Nova is going to win this game...very tough indeed. There were two teams I thought at the start of the year that Delaware couldn't hang with: Nova and William and Mary...and I was right. Though the end score of Navy wasn't close, the game was much, much closer than that score demonstrated. We should have won that game. We were in perfect position to do so and just didn't execute. With Nova and William and Mary we didn't have a chance. Both Nova nd William and Mary would have beaten Bowl bound Navy with out much of a problem.

Nova have far too much speed and play well on both ends of the ball. The speed Montana saw from the APPY offense is the same speed they will see from Villanova's D. They are fast and tackle well. William and Mary was a very good offense and they shut them down. I was surprised that people on some of threads attributed the score of that game to Nova and W&M not being that good, instead of being drawn to how well their defenses played.

On offense they have many threats. This Nova team is better than the Richmond team last year that beat Montana. Montana is very similiar to Ohio State. Very big and strong, with a good solid D and running game with a few gamebreakers. A very good team and well coached. But like Ohio State they struggle with teams that have speed, speed, and more speed and they couldn't have found a worse team to face.

Grrrrriz
December 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
This is tough to say...Nova is going to win this game...very tough indeed. There were two teams I thought at the start of the year that Delaware couldn't hang with: Nova and William and Mary...and I was right. Though the end score of Navy wasn't close, the game was much, much closer than that score demonstrated. We should have won that game. We were in perfect position to do so and just didn't execute. With Nova and William and Mary we didn't have a chance. Both Nova nd William and Mary would have beaten Bowl bound Navy with out much of a problem.

Nova have far too much speed and play well on both ends of the ball. The speed Montana saw from the APPY offense is the same speed they will see from Villanova's D. They are fast and tackle well. William and Mary was a very good offense and they shut them down. I was surprised that people on some of threads attributed the score of that game to Nova and W&M not being that good, instead of being drawn to how well their defenses played.

On offense they have many threats. This Nova team is better than the Richmond team last year that beat Montana. Montana is very similiar to Ohio State. Very big and strong, with a good solid D and running game with a few gamebreakers. A very good team and well coached. But like Ohio State they struggle with teams that have speed, speed, and more speed and they couldn't have found a worse team to face.

We have faced two of the speediest teams in the last two weeks...and still 14-0. We hear the speed argument all of the time, and it seems our power and strength (plus the fact that we also have speed) matches up real well. I don't understand why everyone thinks that speed trumps power and strength, it hasn't yet and I don't think it will this time. In addition, besides the ASU game, our passing game is pretty good. Villanova hasn't faced as balanced an offense that is as good at the pass as they are at running the ball. You haven't watched many Griz games this year I take it?

Crackgina
December 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
This speed argument is a fallacy. I bet Nova has no one as fast as Mariani or Sambrano. Shillinger is also very fast and so is Reynolds. The "X" factor is smartness and I think we see who has had the more intelligent team all year. Go Griz!

Native
December 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
This speed argument is a fallacy. I bet Nova has no one as fast as Mariani or Sambrano. Shillinger is also very fast and so is Reynolds. The "X" factor is smartness and I think we see who has had the more intelligent team all year. Go Griz!

Interesting idea!

"Football smarts" are not often discussed on this board, but this is a term coaches often use when discussing their best and brightest. Hard to measure football smarts, though. I would start with the linebacker corps.

srgrizizen
December 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
People are mincing his words way too much, the media loves Andy Talley because he speaks his mind, but he's not going to go out of his way to give another coach bulletin board material and If Bobby Hauck is able to get his team angry over that then he should be coaching in the NFL. The guy has been effusively praising Montana and their players the entire week but people decide to pick that one quote.

This is really silly, but why don't we end this "imaginary insult" argument by Hoyadestroya posting some links to the coaches effusive praise? Nobody is insulted by the coach picking JMU to win. It was the implication that everyone in the CAA would walk over Montana as well. The author of the newspaper articce clearly left that out in order to make the coach look like less of an idiot, although I give Talley credit for admitting he was one.

As for the game, I think many Griz fans are way too confident about our ability to score on the VU defense. They are going to get some stuffs and tackles for loss as well as a few sacks. However, I think they are underestimating the Griz defense as well, and I love the comment that their defense is based on confusion.
As in "Hey, who was suppposed to be covering that guy who just walked into the end zone behind our sell out blitz?" xpeacex

GrizDuck
December 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Your obsession with boy bands is disturbing.

Still, you never responded to the fact that JMU has made the playoffs the same number of times as Delaware in the past 15 years (7) and won as many championships (1). Since we are just a flash-in-the-pan, I would imagine that Delaware has been on the decline for some time now.

Delaware has established deeper runs in the playoffs for quite some time.

GrizDuck
December 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have plenty of pride in our program, but I don't cry over some perceived insult.

I think the fans have made it clear, as well as our coach, the Talley was insulting. It doesn't surprise me that someone from your part of the country doesn't realize when they are being disrespectful. Showing up one year, after many seasons of mediocrity, and spouting off how any team that can beat you can beat Bobby Hauck...yeah, that's insulting.

I've never met Talley and will chalk it up to the east coast sanctimony that springs from opening his mouth when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Did he intend to be insulting? Give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't intend to be, but he WAS insulting.

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Delaware has established deeper runs in the playoffs for quite some time.

Uh-oh, school got out early in Missoula.

So JMU's basically just a couple of wins in Nov. from "established." Who knew the line was that thin? Good to know.

Which, I guess, means that Montana is just a couple of FCS/I-AA defections from Big Sky obscurity/flash-in-the pan status. Congrats!

GrizDuck
December 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Uh-oh, school got out early in Missoula.

So JMU's basically just a couple of wins in Nov. from "established." Who knew the line was that thin? Good to know.

Which, I guess, means that Montana is just a couple of FCS/I-AA defections from Big Sky obscurity/flash-in-the pan status. Congrats!

McVeryl, I got out of school in the 90's. Am glad you get wireless internet on the short bus... those programs seem to be benefiting you.

No, you're not a couple of wins away from "established". Do you really think that you have achieved as much as Delaware in football?

As for your bewildered comment about Montana... check the playoff results for the last 20 years...

You're an upstart who speaks before thinking...and then wonders why you get the backlash

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
McVeryl, I got out of school in the 90's. Am glad you get wireless internet on the short bus... those programs seem to be benefiting you.

No, you're not a couple of wins away from "established". Do you really think that you have achieved as much as Delaware in football?

As for your bewildered comment about Montana... check the playoff results for the last 20 years...

You're an upstart who speaks before thinking...and then wonders why you get the backlash

I said before that I have no delusions that JMU has achieved as much as Delaware, but we have achieved the same number of appearances and championships as UD over the last 15 years to show we're not exactly a flash in the pan at this point.

I've looked at the playoff results for the last 20 years. Montana's real success started in '94/'95. Hmmm....a couple of years after the Nevada jump and the year of/after the Boise jump. Coincidence? Maybe, but I would wager that if those two teams are still in the Big Sky your success mirrors the 10 years before that (3 playoff appearances - only out of the first round once).

gbhmt
December 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I said before that I have no delusions that JMU has achieved as much as Delaware, but we have achieved the same number of appearances and championships as UD over the last 15 years to show we're not exactly a flash in the pan at this point.

I've looked at the playoff results for the last 20 years. Montana's real success started in '94/'95. Hmmm....a couple of years after the Nevada jump and the year of/after the Boise jump. Coincidence? Maybe, but I would wager that if those two teams are still in the Big Sky your success mirrors the 10 years before that (3 playoff appearances).

So? That's just a part of the process. App State would not have risen to their greatness if Marshall hadn't moved up. If you're somehow suggesting that JMU's success is hampered because Delaware hasn't moved up, then I guess you can hold onto that notion all you want.

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
So? That's just a part of the process. App State would not have risen to their greatness if Marshall hadn't moved up. If you're somehow suggesting that JMU's success is hampered because Delaware hasn't moved up, then I guess you can hold onto that notion all you want.

I don't think JMU's success is hampered by anything nearly as much as the existence of the CAA has hampered Montana's. :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

I don't begrudge Montana's success. They've earned it. My only point was your buddy is acting like UR, Nova and JMU have just now started showing up to play football. In JMU's case that's simply not true. We've experienced the same kind of success as UD over the last 15 years, not just the last 5.

Silenoz
December 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I've looked at the playoff results for the last 20 years. Montana's real success started in '94/'95. Hmmm....a couple of years after the Nevada jump and the year of/after the Boise jump. Coincidence? Maybe, but I would wager that if those two teams are still in the Big Sky your success mirrors the 10 years before that (3 playoff appearances - only out of the first round once).

It's more to do with having Washington-Grizzly, but yeah, it definitely didn't hurt

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Can't we all just get along? xrotatehx

My prediction? Montana... Why? Im an alumni, I bleed maroon and silver, and I love my school. Just as the majority (if not all) of you, I have watched my team all season and seen how well they can play, and my only experience of watching Nova was the Quarter final round, which (please do not take offense, it is not directed at your team, it is directed at he foot of snow on the field) looked like a high school game because no one had a sure foot.

This is going to be a great game, but I see a third Griz championship coming back to Missoula. I honestly think App was a better team than Nova and am grateful for the class of the App state fans (which is apparently lacking in the Nova fans [at least on this thread]). There have been posts on here that actually called Nova's QB the best in the FCS... are you kidding? Edwards was easily the best QB in the FCS this decade.

Ive got to hand it to the CAA fans though, they stick together, it seems the only people on here that are sure Nova will win have little CAA helmets under their usernames. Good luck Nova, and good game! I will again echo what most people have said on this thread, it will be a great and close game, but Im going with my boys.

HenZoneNation
December 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
We have faced two of the speediest teams in the last two weeks...and still 14-0. We hear the speed argument all of the time, and it seems our power and strength (plus the fact that we also have speed) matches up real well. I don't understand why everyone thinks that speed trumps power and strength, it hasn't yet and I don't think it will this time. In addition, besides the ASU game, our passing game is pretty good. Villanova hasn't faced as balanced an offense that is as good at the pass as they are at running the ball. You haven't watched many Griz games this year I take it?

I don't disagree with you in regards to the Appy win. That was truly one of those games that my team wasn't playing and still wanted to go. I would however say that there are three glaring faults with this logic.

1) Appy was a great team...great win SDSU and Stephen F. Austin were not. I attribute the score more to UM not playing well in the first half than SDSU being able to score on UM's D and shut down there O as indictative in the second half which was a joke. Stephen F. Austin might have been the worst second round team I've ever seen.

2) The snow does hurt speed. Both sides demonstrated this, however when you're Montana, and clearly they were bigger up front, when the speed is hampered, the size dominates. This is not to say that UM wasn't just as good as Appy. But any advantage when two teams of that caliber meet is huge.

3) Aside from the power of two DE's and Vaughn at running back...Nova is a hands down better team than Richmond last year. They are faster...probably faster than Appy and you guys struggled with Richmond. I see more of the same.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I think the fans have made it clear, as well as our coach, the Talley was insulting. It doesn't surprise me that someone from your part of the country doesn't realize when they are being disrespectful. Showing up one year, after many seasons of mediocrity, and spouting off how any team that can beat you can beat Bobby Hauck...yeah, that's insulting.

I've never met Talley and will chalk it up to the east coast sanctimony that springs from opening his mouth when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Did he intend to be insulting? Give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't intend to be, but he WAS insulting.

Please, keep crying over some perceived insult. We played JMU twice last year. They were an amazing team and Talley, rightfully so, thought they would beat the Griz. JMU lost one game to FBS Duke. He was wrong and admitted he was wrong. Get over it.

As for this year, we went and beat a bowl bound FBS while Montana beat a DII. He simply stated fact. It's too bad you get butt hurt over hearing the facts.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Can't we all just get along? xrotatehx

My prediction? Montana... Why? Im an alumni, I bleed maroon and silver, and I love my school. Just as the majority (if not all) of you, I have watched my team all season and seen how well they can play, and my only experience of watching Nova was the Quarter final round, which (please do not take offense, it is not directed at your team, it is directed at he foot of snow on the field) looked like a high school game because no one had a sure foot.

This is going to be a great game, but I see a third Griz championship coming back to Missoula. I honestly think App was a better team than Nova and am grateful for the class of the App state fans (which is apparently lacking in the Nova fans [at least on this thread]). There have been posts on here that actually called Nova's QB the best in the FCS... are you kidding? Edwards was easily the best QB in the FCS this decade.

Ive got to hand it to the CAA fans though, they stick together, it seems the only people on here that are sure Nova will win have little CAA helmets under their usernames. Good luck Nova, and good game! I will again echo what most people have said on this thread, it will be a great and close game, but Im going with my boys.

I'm not going back to find this. Could you please point this out? I must have missed it.

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'm not going back to find this. Could you please point this out? I must have missed it.

Yeah, that is my bad, they were talking about the Holly Cross quarterback.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that is my bad, they were talking about the Holly Cross quarterback.

I don't remember anyone calling him the best QB in FCS. I know he was called the best QB we saw all year.

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't remember anyone calling him the best QB in FCS. I know he was called the best QB we saw all year.

Ahha! gotcha... the best QB "you" (as in Nova) have seen all year. I misread and thought hoyadestroya was saying the best QB he as a person had seen all season. That makes more sense now.

HenBlue
December 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Sczcur is as good a player as I have seen in many years -- he can carry a team on his back and will be the difference maker. Also, Whitney had a bad game against William and Mary -- it won't happen a second time. I predict a VU win but a close one.

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Still the best quarterback I saw all year.. You HC fans can thank god that his HS coach was stupid enough to leave him on the bench. xlolxxlolx

I stand corrected on my correction, hoyadestroya definitely said he was the best.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
No he didn't. I'm assuming he was saying the best he saw in person.

jlcharles
December 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
And I've said the same thing about Randolph because I did get to see him in person.

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
well, regardless of what he said, good luck on Friday guys, Ill raise a beer to you all at the start of the game.

Wellington
December 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
This probably has been stated already, but Sczcur:Villanova as Mariani:Montana. No way I'm reading this whole thread,

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
No way I'm reading this whole thread,

I gotta tell you...you're really missing out.

GannonFan
December 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I don't think JMU's success is hampered by anything nearly as much as the existence of the CAA has hampered Montana's. :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist).

I don't begrudge Montana's success. They've earned it. My only point was your buddy is acting like UR, Nova and JMU have just now started showing up to play football. In JMU's case that's simply not true. We've experienced the same kind of success as UD over the last 15 years, not just the last 5.

Not to quibble here, but there is a difference between getting to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Since 1991 UD's won 17 playoff games, JMU's won 7 playoff games. JMU's only gotten out of the first round in four years ('08, '04, '94, and '91) whereas UD's done it seven times in the same timeframe.

But like I said, not to quibble. :p

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Not to quibble here, but there is a difference between getting to the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Since 1991 UD's won 17 playoff games, JMU's won 7 playoff games. JMU's only gotten out of the first round in four years ('08, '04, '94, and '91) whereas UD's done it seven times in the same timeframe.

Yea, I can't argue the success in the playoffs. But I thought you UD guys measured success in playoff appearances and national championships...:D

Either way, the facts still stand regarding our "flash in the pan" status.

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM

If intelligence meant that much in football, Vanderbilt would win the SEC every year.

Silvertip
December 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
remember we saw what happened when the #8 passing offense (Weber) met up with the #2 defense (W&M)

Just about exactly what happened when the #8 passing offense (Weber) met up with Montana.

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
What I meant is that Randolph was the best quarterback I'd seen in person all year. He was also probably the best passer in the FCS this year. I wouldn't make the comparison against AE because I never saw him play. I really don't know how Villanova fans have been disrespectful at all. I think it's a case of people getting sensitive for very little reason.

GoneTribal
December 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I picked Nova, simply because of their D. VU will keep points at a premium, and that will lead to a close victory.

Silvertip
December 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Montana only has 28 playoff wins since '94. Not to be taken seriously....

soccerguy315
December 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Just about exactly what happened when the #8 passing offense (Weber) met up with Montana.

so what is going to happen when the #14 passing offense (Montana) meets up with the #5 defense (Villanova)?

Montana won't be close to 500 yards. If they somehow do get there (like, Nova plays like SFA or something), then the game will be a slaughter... like 42-10 in Montana's favor.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
What I meant is that Randolph was the best quarterback I'd seen in person all year. He was also probably the best passer in the FCS this year. I wouldn't make the comparison against AE because I never saw him play. I really don't know how Villanova fans have been disrespectful at all. I think it's a case of people getting sensitive for very little reason.

I'm only paranoid because.........................EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET ME!xeekx

Just kidding man, I can't speak for others, but I don't get all butt hurt about anything I read on here. xpeacex

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm only paranoid because.........................EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET ME!xeekx

Just kidding man, I can't speak for others, but I don't get all butt hurt about anything I read on here. xpeacex
Wait, everyone's out to get you, I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME WHO THEY WERE AFTER xeekx

It's unfortunate that this time of year the trolls outnumber the intelligent people. xthumbsupx

putter
December 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I will tell you Hoya, AE was flat out amazing! The Griz should have had at least 3 more sacks and he used his speed to get out of it. On top of that he, on the run, would throw a lazer, on the mark passes, to his receivers. I have not seen anyone do what he did and the Griz have played against some pretty good QB's this year. The one player I wish the Griz had is Dan Moore. I really believe, to run the ball against Nova, is having a good FB to get past those linebackers. he is a specimen but hurt his ankle..

This game will be close..and could go either way.

darell1976
December 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I hope Montana wins so we can play the National Champion Montana Grizzlies in November!!xthumbsupx

charliej
December 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm willing to bet that Talleys remarks bother Griz fans more than Hauck.

I mean, you lose a big game and, as your leaving the field, someone grabs you,sticks a mike in your face and starts asking questions. xconfusedx I know I wouldn't weigh each word out of my mouth under those circumstances. Being in the same coaching " fraternity", I'm sure Hauck understands this. Thats not to say he won't,or shouldn't, use it to fire up his guys. He wouldn't be much of a coach if he didn't.

Back to the game... Looking through the stats, I noticed a big disparity in penalties.(Griz avg. double 'Novas penalty yds on the year). Anyone think that in teams this evenly matched, penalties could be a big factor?

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Latest info has 1,000 plus Villanova fans going to Chattanooga including former Villanova great Brian Finneran.

T-Dog
December 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Is it a presidential election year? Nope. I'll go with a Griz.

Torgo
December 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Back to the game... Looking through the stats, I noticed a big disparity in penalties.(Griz avg. double 'Novas penalty yds on the year). Anyone think that in teams this evenly matched, penalties could be a big factor?

Only 15 penalty yards for the Griz last week. There's been far too many personal foul penalties, but they've all but disappeared once the playoffs started. The Griz are disciplined when they need to be...but we definitely get carried away when in conference play sometimes.

charliej
December 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Latest info has 1,000 plus Villanova fans going to Chattanooga including former Villanova great Brian Finneran.

Group of 15 going down, but I won't be among them.xbawlingxxbawlingx..

Just two weeks into a new job, no way in he!! I could get time off.xsmhx

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Forecast is calling for rain.. supposed to stop before 6 though.

Silenoz
December 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM

I never noticed that

charliej
December 16th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I never noticed that

LOL.. nor did I xeyebrowx

Silvertip
December 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I hope Montana wins so we can play the National Champion Montana Grizzlies in November!!xthumbsupx

You couldn't win that NAIA game this year; will you be better by then?

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You couldn't win that NAIA game this year; will you be better by then?

is it necessary to turn that comment into smack?

rlslim
December 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
is it necessary to turn that comment into smack?

Agreed. Not really needed.

BDKJMU
December 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Not to quibble here, but make that 8 JMU wins since 91' not the 7 you claim:
91' -1(upset #1 seed UD :p)
94'-1
04'-4
08'-2

McVeryl said the last 15 years. You went back 18 years. Since 94', JMU has been to the playoffs 7 times:
94', 95', 99', 04', 06', 07', 08', with 7 victories

UD has also been to the playoffs 7 times:
95', 96', 97', 00', 03', 04', 07', with 13 victories.

So over the last 15 years, UD's pedigree is only marginally better than JMU's.

GolfingGriz
December 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM

Sounds like a sure thing now! However when 2012 comes around...

VUCats02
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Can't wait to leave for Chatty tomorrow! Hope the CATS will bring home the trophy! Let's also not forget, the Villanova women's basketball team came back to Villanova, PA with a trophy of their own IN Chatanooga a couple of weeks ago in a women's bball trny:-) Hopefully that's a good omen!

Anovafan
December 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Just heard they have about 16,000 tix sold so far, I am impressed by Chatty or all those Griz fans buying tickets. I know it's not the Nova fans, but at least the school organized two student buses going down to support the team.

Hoyadestroya85
December 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Can't wait to leave for Chatty tomorrow! Hope the CATS will bring home the trophy! Let's also not forget, the Villanova women's basketball team came back to Villanova, PA with a trophy of their own IN Chatanooga a couple of weeks ago in a women's bball trny:-) Hopefully that's a good omen!

I brought that up on my blog earlier in the month.. i hope so too.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
THINK before you speak! Nova o-line doesnt even come close to Montana's O-line size and or skill, and the fact that Montana didnt get one first team all american on the o-line is an insult.

Pick your poison. Nova blitzes alot, which is going to create match up problems and the opprotunity for big plays. Nova cant stop both Reynolds and Mariani.

As a former and fellow 8-man Montana football player, I respect what Reynolds has done win or lose.

Go Griz!!!!!!

Ahem, maybe a few inches taller, but certainly not heavier (and/or presumably stronger).
MONTANA :)VILLANOVA
LT-72-Levi Horn, 6-7, 315, Sr. :)LT 71 Ben Ijalana (6-4, 320, Jr.) FCS AA
LG-74-Jon Opperud, 6-7, 305, So. :)LG 67 Brant Clouser (6-3, 290, Jr.)
OC-71-Alex Verlanic, 6-2, 282, Jr :)C 60 Brian Brannigan (6-3, 290, Sr.)
RG- 77-Terran Hillesland, 6-7, 320, Sr :)RG 50 Dan Shirey (6-2, 280, Fr.)
RT-75-Chris Dyk, 6-8, 297, Sr. :)RT 70 Jonathan Bugli (6-5, 295, Sr.)

With 'Nova's loss of young future NFL star (79 Chidozie Ekweozor RFr., 6-5, 305), UM does gain an advantage at one OL position.

Statment still stands -- tape this game for posterity......

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Ahem, maybe a few inches taller, but certainly not heavier (and/or presumably stronger).

With 'Nova's loss of young future NFL star (79 Chidozie Ekweozor RFr., 6-5, 305), UM does gain an advantage at one OL position.

Montana's right tackle is very light for someone who is six eight. As far as actual body mass, Villanova's offensive line is bigger. Also, the advantage of having a shorter, lighter Offensive Line is that they usually move better. Look to see Villanova try to run to the left side this game, Ijalana and Clouser are beasts, Clouser doesn't get much credit though next to Ijalana.

CrunchGriz
December 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM

So 303.8 isn't heavier than 295? I missed that day in first grade math class, I guess. (303.8 average for UM offensive line starters, 295 average for VU offensive line starters).

Ahem....

WyomingGrizFan
December 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
maybe a few inches taller, but certainly not heavier (and/or presumably stronger).

Maybe you're up a higher level math equation stuck somewhere in the sky that you're feeding off of but for an 'average' the weights are U of M 303.8 to 295 for Villanova. Not that it really matters any; good for chest-pounding I guess, considering the defensive lines that they have to go up against since, as far as I know, the offensive lines don't normally go up against each other; unless it's on some fan blog somewheres.

BDKJMU
December 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM

He didn't start in the 2 games I saw Nova play, @ Temple and @ JMU. The 5 starters you listed were listed as the starters in the game notes for the 2 games I saw.

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM
So 303.8 isn't heavier than 295? I missed that day in first grade math class, I guess. (303.8 average for UM offensive line starters, 295 average for VU offensive line starters).

Ahem....

They don't teach long division until fourth grade :p

CrunchGriz
December 17th, 2009, 02:13 AM
They don't teach long division until fourth grade :p

Maybe back East.... ;)

But even in the first grade I knew that 303 was more than 295.

WyomingGrizFan
December 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
But even in the first grade I knew that 303 was more than 295.

First grade!!!

Think more like..."passed out drunk in the gutter,"..knows even that!!!

Big Dawg
December 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Man I can't even begin to say who I think will win this game. I'm just looking forward to a great match-up between #1 and #2...I really hope this game becomes the "Game of the Decade"

09griz
December 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Naw. What makes Booby a patriot is the way he supports the troops. xthumbsupx

And the free press...

Ronbo
December 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Tune in Friday to witness the best Offensive Line in FCS.:)

17 sacks in 14 games.
260.2 yards per game passing. 33 TD's
167.4 yards per game rushing. 29 TD's

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 07:34 AM
With all do respect...you're OL hasn't been tested like this. You have not seen a defense like this before. The biggest complaint that most Appy St fans made about their team centered on the defense. As good as APPY was offensively, they're defense is not in the same ball park as Nova's D. I'm not saying that those big hosses can't dominate the line but you can't use the teams you've played in BSC and in the playoffs as basis for UM owning the line. If UM wins it's because their entire team played their best game. You saw what the speed of Richmond did last year and most of those boys who are lining up for the Griz were saw it as well.

McNeese72
December 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM

That's all??????

Doc

Ronbo
December 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
With all do respect...you're OL hasn't been tested like this. You have not seen a defense like this before. The biggest complaint that most Appy St fans made about their team centered on the defense. As good as APPY was offensively, they're defense is not in the same ball park as Nova's D. I'm not saying that those big hosses can't dominate the line but you can't use the teams you've played in BSC and in the playoffs as basis for UM owning the line. If UM wins it's because their entire team played their best game. You saw what the speed of Richmond did last year and most of those boys who are lining up for the Griz were saw it as well.

And after we win the NC again we still won't get any respect from you guys after winning 120 games in 10 years. That's 12 games a year. If this team goes undefeated 15-0, only been done twice in I-AA history, and we get 1 All American? And teams we killed are getting 2 and 3. WTF? The media, Coaches, AD's, and other teams hate of the Griz shouldn't short change the great players we have. It's just wrong.

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Ahem....

They may be heavier, but they certainly aren't bulkier.. Remember, the man with the lower pad level wins.

Did I see that you have a 210 pound defensive end? What side does he line up on?

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I think you have a great program...I've said it numerous times. I think you're team, you're coach, you're fanbase, and you're stadium are top notch. And if you beat Nova you will get all the respect in the world. The problem you guys have is your conference. You have all of these great accolades and stats and yet you're not getting the merit that a team that boasts such merits deserves. It's because the teams you play year in in year out aren't very good and have not performed well in the playoffs. You can't go 5-10 in playoffs (aside from UM) this decade and still cling to the notion of being a top tier conference. You can't have one school be that dominant over their conference and not lose some merit. It does and when it does it impacts All-American honors and it impacts the level of respect you receive. There are teams that don't have half the credentials you have, but they play very tough teams, in very tough conferences, and their players perform well. Is it fair. Yes and no. Yes because if two players or two programs have similiar numbers or wins and one is ina tougher conference then that school/player ought to be rewarded. No, because you really are stuck where you are.
This year you're getting hurt in regards to All-American honors and clout because the BSC (aside from UM) was horrible in the playoffs and the two teams you faced before Appy weren't very good at all.
That being said. You guys are a terrific program. Top's in my book. Some of your fans are a little sensitive but great otherwise. I think you do deserve more respect and if you win...you will.

grizzpaw
December 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
if our conference mates got to play the teams in the first round of the playoffs that the caa does our conference would look as good as the caa!xrotatehx

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
if our conference mates got to play the teams in the first round of the playoffs that the caa does our conference would look as good as the caa!xrotatehx

xrolleyesx Stephen F. Austin and SDSU would have been beaten by any of the four CAA teams in the playoffs.. Weber State played William and Mary head to head and got stomped on and McNeese State, who beat Appalachian State was throttled by UNH.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The unfortunate part of that arguemnet is:

1) EWU lost to Stephen F. Austin...one of the worst second round teams I've ever seen. 51-0 they lost to you.

2) Weber LOST to a CAA team...shutout I might add.

If you can work your way around that one....be my guest.

grizzpaw
December 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
one I NEVER felt that weber should have been in the playoffs, check ANY of my post and you will see that i felt anybody with 4 losses should not have been in the playoffs! and when was the last time any caa team have to play a power conference member in the first round? you know i'm right but will not say so!:Dxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
It's not the CAA's fault that matchups are done geographically.

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
one I NEVER felt that weber should have been in the playoffs, check ANY of my post and you will see that i felt anybody with 4 losses should not have been in the playoffs! and when was the last time any caa team have to play a power conference member in the first round? you know i'm right but will not say so!:Dxcoffeexxcoffeexxcoffeex

Define power conference.

JMU beat Wofford (SoCon) last year. UNH also beat SIU (MVFC) on the road. And Maine lost to UNI on the road. Do those count?

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
And two years ago UNH lost on the road to UNI while JMU lost by one on the road to App St.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Last year JMU got matched up with Wofford, New Hampshire got SIU...both good teams and the CAA one. We get tough pairings all the time. JMU lost to eventual NC Appy by 1 in the first round. They had that game and lost. We get matched up against tough teams, and we win often. Also look at how many different schools in our conference advance to the NC's every year. It's not even close.

What I don't understand is why UM fans take the BSC discussion harder than the teams that are actually being drawn into question. UM isn't the problem...it's everybody else in your conference.

I stated in an earlier post that being in a conference that doesn't do well in the playoffs would hurt UM in certain capacities...it has and will continue. Eventually, if this trend keeps up it will impact the coaches poll

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
...The problem you guys have is your conference. You have all of these great accolades and stats and yet you're not getting the merit that a team that boasts such merits deserves. It's because the teams you play year in in year out aren't very good and have not performed well in the playoffs. You can't go 5-10 in playoffs (aside from UM) this decade and still cling to the notion of being a top tier conference. You can't have one school be that dominant over their conference and not lose some merit. It does and when it does it impacts All-American honors and it impacts the level of respect you receive. There are teams that don't have half the credentials you have, but they play very tough teams, in very tough conferences, and their players perform well. Is it fair. Yes and no. Yes because if two players or two programs have similiar numbers or wins and one is ina tougher conference then that school/player ought to be rewarded. No, because you really are stuck where you are.
This year you're getting hurt in regards to All-American honors and clout because the BSC (aside from UM) was horrible in the playoffs and the two teams you faced before Appy weren't very good at all.
That being said. You guys are a terrific program. Top's in my book. Some of your fans are a little sensitive but great otherwise. I think you do deserve more respect and if you win...you will.

Get over yourself. xoopsx

Take the top team out of all conferences and the Big Sky is still among the top 3-4 conferences in FCS playoff performances for this year and this decade. xnodx

Do the math. SOCON is #1 with or even without App State. CAA is #2 with or without Delaware. Big Sky is #3 with Montana and #4 without Montana. MVFC is either 3d or 4th, and Patriot is 5th, with or without Colgate. There are at least 13 FCS conferences. xnonono2x

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
You beat me to it JLCharles. Can't wait to here about conference rankings and then a litany of reasons why performance in the playoffs should mean nothing.

Bring on the Sagarin Rankings...can't wait to hear more about that.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I did the math...outside of Montana you have a grand total of no NC wins and 33% winning percentage...is that good

Fear the Bird
December 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm a little late to this part - but why is Montana an overwhelming favorite?!?

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Here's some more math for you Native...UD by itself has more playoff wins this decade between 2000-2003 than BSC schools not named Montana combined...

And we're not even in the top half of the conference...

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Here's some more math for you Native...UD by itself has more playoff wins this decade between 2000-2003 than BSC schools not named Montana combined...

Are you saying that between 2000 and 2003, UD has more wins than the rest of the BSC from 2000-2009?

What are the numbers? I'm too lazy to figure it out on my own.

Ronbo
I did the math...outside of Montana you have a grand total of no NC wins and 33% winning percentage...is that good

Montana State and Idaho State both won NC's. Also Boise State. That's 5 NC's. The CAA has 4.

Hoyadestroya85
I'm a little late to this part - but why is Montana an overwhelming favorite?!?

Because the Montana fanbase heavily outweighs the Villanova fanbase.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM

It doesn't matter how you slice it or dicve it. The SOCON is #1 in this decade. The CAA is #2 this decade. The Big Sky is either #3 or #4 this decade, depending on whether you include Montana.

There are at least 13 conferences. Fifteen apprearances and five wins is not as good as SOCON or CAA, and slightly worse than MVFC, but better than nine of the remaining 13 FCS conferences.

REALLY... do the math.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
We were talking about NC's this decade...if you can find where Montana St. Boise St. and Idaho St won in this decade then you got me...

The BSC has five total wins this decade aside from Montana to go along with 12 losses. UD after the 2003 season had 6 playoff wins.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
The unfortunate part of that arguemnet is:

1) EWU lost to Stephen F. Austin...one of the worst second round teams I've ever seen. 51-0 they lost to you.

Ive been seeing a lot of this, and I love it. Everyone is talking about how terrible SFA is. Because we took them to the house they went from being touted as the top scoring offense in the FCS to being crap thanks to the way our boys played. SFA is not a horrible team, they had the number one scoring offense for a reason, we just had a very good day, and they did not.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Which is the same or better than every other FCS conference except SOCON and the CAA in this decade when you take out the top performer.

33% remains 4th best among 13 FCS conferences.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
We were talking about NC's this decade...if you can find where Montana St. Boise St. and Idaho St won in this decade then you got me...

The BSC has five total wins this decade aside from Montana to go along with 12 losses. UD after the 2003 season had 6 playoff wins.

The BSC has 5 total playoff wins wins aside from Montana in this decade.

The MVFC has 9 without UNI.

The Patriot has 3 without Colgate.

No other conferences come close.

Ronbo
December 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Ive been seeing a lot of this, and I love it. Everyone is talking about how terrible SFA is. Because we took them to the house they went from being touted as the top scoring offense in the FCS to being crap thanks to the way our boys played. SFA is not a horrible team, they had the number one scoring offense for a reason, we just had a very good day, and they did not.

Yes and Villanova played the worse team in the playoffs New Hampshire because they kicked their ass. Sound thinking that can be applied to several games.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Im assuming you are only talking about the last 10 or 20 years, because Montana State took the championship once in the 80s.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM

A sound argument except when you consider the weak 8-win teams in contention. None of the bubble teams were in the same class as the top 10.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 12:35 PM
It doesn't matter how you slice it or dicve it. The SOCON is #1 in this decade. The CAA is #2 this decade. The Big Sky is either #3 or #4 this decade, depending on whether you include Montana.

There are at least 12 conferences. Fifteen apprearances and five wins is not as good as SOCON or CAA, and slightly worse than MVFC, but better than eight of the remaining 12 FCS conferences.

REALLY... do the math.

Just as long as we are straight on the whole BSC not being #2. xnonox And to be honest if Villanova wins you can make the arguemnet that we were the strongest conference this decade. We'd be tied for number of NC's, have the most variations of teams to win NC's and the most variations of teams to make the NC. Outside of Appy's 3 year run and GSU 2000 title, we have been it. SCo wasn't the better conference, they just happened to have a dynasty...hat's off to them, not the Soco...xnonox

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Because the Montana fanbase heavily outweighs the Villanova fanbase.

Very true, were all pulling for our own teams here, no room to budge :)

Crackgina
December 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Last year we beat an "unbeatable" JMU team at their place. We had them dominated until some late ref-assisted heroics let them get close at the end. Our "All-American" problem mainly originates from east coast bias plain and simple. We got screwed out of two fumbles against Appy and their own teammates agreed. (I sit right behind the opposing bench). SFA was not a horrible team, they couldn't hold onto the ball and got outcoached by our defensive coach. I agree the CAA is a tougher conference top to bottom, but not exponentially tougher like we have to hear all year long.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Just as long as we are straight on the whole BSC not being #2. xnonox And to be honest if Villanova wins you can make the arguemnet that we were the strongest conference this decade. We'd be tied for number of NC's, have the most variations of teams to win NC's and the most variations of teams to make the NC. Outside of Appy's 3 year run and GSU 2000 title, we have been it. SCo wasn't the better conference, they just happened to have a dynasty...hat's off to them, not the Soco...xnonox

Nope. SOCON is #1 this decade, hands down.

Take away both App State and Delaware and the SOCON's playoff winning percentage is 59%, compared to the CAA's 56%. CAA is #2, behind SOCON. Period.

MVFC and BSC are tied for 3d, depending on how you crunch the numbers.

Patriot actually made a good showing this decade and comes in at #5.

No other conference comes close.

GrizDuck
December 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Im assuming you are only talking about the last 10 or 20 years, because Montana State took the championship once in the 80s.

CAA fans always choose a time period of convenience when they pound their shallow little hairless chests. I keep trying to remind them that none of their teams, with the exception of Delaware, accomplished much before the johnny-come-lately squads of the CAA. Most of those programs never faced the Youngstown, Marshall, or Georgia Southern Programs in their prime (because they couldn't win enough to face squads like that). They have to massage statistics and be selective about the timeframes because they can only point to a few instances of success before predicting epochs of future success.

Now the CAA has a short run of success and they belittle squads from the Big Sky, the SoCon, the MVC, and the Southland. It just makes fans from those areas want to roll up a newspaper, swat them, and say "bad puppy". I don't recall a bunch of Sam Houston State fans acting like this 5 years ago when they had Dustin Long. I have no memory of Appalachian State fans acting like this when they finally overtook Ga Southern as the conference power.

I do notice that the fan base from New Hampshire and Maine seems to be far less caustic than those from Va and Pennsylvania.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
CAA fans always choose a time period of convenience when they pound their shallow little hairless chests. I keep trying to remind them that none of their teams, with the exception of Delaware, accomplished much before the johnny-come-lately squads of the CAA. Most of those programs never faced the Youngstown, Marshall, or Georgia Southern Programs in their prime (because they couldn't win enough to face squads like that). They have to massage statistics and be selective about the timeframes because they can only point to a few instances of success before predicting epochs of future success.

Now the CAA has a short run of success and they belittle squads from the Big Sky, the SoCon, the MVC, and the Southland. It just makes fans from those areas want to roll up a newspaper, swat them, and say "bad puppy". I don't recall a bunch of Sam Houston State fans acting like this 5 years ago when they had Dustin Long. I have no memory of Appalachian State fans acting like this when they finally overtook Ga Southern as the conference power.

I do notice that the fan base from New Hampshire and Maine seems to be far less caustic than those from Va and Pennsylvania.

True dat! Loads of classy SOCON fans and fans from other conferences have level football heads on their shoulders and lack some CAA fans' hysteria, irrational exuberance, or selective memory.

Despite HZ and ECB, lots of CAA fans are rational, too. The vast majority of W&M fans, for example, have been fantastic.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Ha, Funny thing about PA, anyone else notice the only ranking system with Villanova ranked above the Griz is The Sports Network, based out of... yep! Even when writing about the game, they use their rankings instead of the NCAA sanctioned seed rankings. So much for unbiased reporting (wait, I don't think I've seen unbiased reporting in any medium, form anyone, in about 20 years)

*edit* I haven't seen a lot of trash talking coming from Va this year, I think they have stepped up their class a bit.

grizzpaw
December 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
the caa is like the big sky only more losing teams to beat up on. in fact the bottom of the caa is so tired of losing that they are dropping footballxsmhx(2 teams so far how many more)! at least idaho state is still at it!xnodx

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Whose the TEAM of the Decade?

Clearly either Montana or Appalachian State.

Montana: 10 appearances, 1/2 NC, 5 NC appearances, 19-8 overall as of today

App. State: 8 appearances, 3 NC, 3 NC appearances, 18-5 overall

As of today I think it goes to App. State, but with a Grizzly win tommorrow it definately becomes a discussion. Another important thing to remember is Montana is 2-0 vs. App State in the decade.

Deleware comes in a distant 3rd.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Nope. SOCON is #1, hands down.

Take away both App State and Delaware and the SOCON's playoff winning percentage is 59%, compared to the CAA's 56%. CAA is #2, behind SOCON, hands down.

MVFC and BSC are tied for 3d, depending on how you crunch the numbers.

Patriot actually made a good showing this decade and comes in at #5.

No other conference comes close.

3% winning percantage matches the 2 NC titles with a potential for a third that we have? What kind of logic is that. What's more important. NC's or early round playoff wins?

Take Montana and UNI away like you said and you're number 4. I have no problem with that. But most of the playoffs all I heard was BSC was #2 and a close one at that.

In the 90's you were it. Then you're big guns left with only Montana to hold down the fort. If we left, CAA is still the strongest conference. If Appy left, the Socon is now #4.

It's not east coast bias. One school had more wins in the first four years of this decade than the rest of your conference combined...aside from Montana. You sure it's Native and not naive.

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ha, Funny thing about PA, anyone else notice the only ranking system with Villanova ranked above the Griz is The Sports Network, based out of... yep! Even when writing about the game, they use their rankings instead of the NCAA sanctioned seed rankings. So much for unbiased reporting (wait, I don't think I've seen unbiased reporting in any medium, form anyone, in about 20 years)
*edit* I haven't seen a lot of trash talking coming from Va this year, I think they have stepped up their class a bit.

How about the GPI, Sagarin and several other computer polls?

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Whose the TEAM of the Decade?

Clearly either Montana or Appalachian State.

Montana: 10 appearances, 1/2 NC, 5 NC appearances, 19-8 overall as of today

App. State: 8 appearances, 3 NC, 3 NC appearances, 18-5 overall

As of today I think it goes to App. State, but with a Grizzly win tommorrow it definately becomes a discussion. Another important thing to remember is Montana is 2-0 vs. App State in the decade.

Deleware comes in a distant 3rd.

I would agree with that...no doubt that these two programs have been it.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
How about the GPI, Sagarin and several other computer polls?

I'm just going with the polls the NCAA recognizes and hence lists on their site. TSN, coaches, and AGS

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Why are we still talking about conference and who's played better over the last decade? This game is about Montana and Nova, this season, this week, and it's gonna be a good clash!

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm just going with the polls the NCAA recognizes and hence lists on their site. TSN, coaches, and AGS
Well you're not going on what the committee uses to pick the playoff teams.xrulesx

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM
If Montana wins tomorrow, App State and Montana will have had a more impressive decade than the CAA. Even if Nova wins, App State has been more impressive.

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Why are we still talking about conference and who's played better over the last decade? This game is about Montana and Nova, this season, this week, and it's gonna be a good clash!

Because Deleware fans would rather talk about the "glory" of their conference...

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It started out talking about the game...then another poster complained about Montana respect and lack of All Americans...and then well...back to east coast bias.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
It started out talking about the game...then another poster complained about Montana respect and lack of All Americans...and then well...back to east coast bias.

If there is any bias, it is against, the FCS, lets all rise up and start an FCS revolution!

Native
December 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
3% winning percantage matches the 2 NC titles with a potential for a third that we have? What kind of logic is that. What's more important. NC's or early round playoff wins?

Take Montana and UNI away like you said and you're number 4. I have no problem with that. But most of the playoffs all I heard was BSC was #2 and a close one at that.

In the 90's you were it. Then you're big guns left with only Montana to hold down the fort. If we left, CAA is still the strongest conference. If Appy left, the Socon is now #4.

It's not east coast bias. One school had more wins in the first four years of this decade than the rest of your conference combined...aside from Montana. You sure it's Native and not naive.

Big Sky has been the #2 conference for most of THIS YEAR, with a 7-2 record in regular season out of conference FCS contests THIS YEAR not involving Montana, against stronger opposition THIS YEAR than either MVFC or SOCON.

Stop the BS. Compare apples with apples. Either take out the top program of all the conferences you wish to compare or don't, talk about this decade or this year, but stop mixing and matching.

Keep the comparisons valid. Otherwise move on to the smack board.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
"For most of this year" is very tough to determine until you reach the playoffs and see the best teams from the best conferences go at it.

I'm not trying to bounce around from season to decade to season to decade. I wait for you to present an arguemnet and then I refute it.

This season supports that position. The BSC was considered for most of the season (your words not mine) to be #2. The playoffs came and that was not the case. You spoke about the decade and I presented you wih facts you simply didn't like...that doesn't change that they are true.

You have not presented an arguement, for this decade or this season that has not had major holes in it. That is the purpose of this board, is to discuss them.

As far as the decade goes, again ceratin claims were made that were not accuarte. I'm not talking smack at all. You will not find me celebrating UD nor will you find me making excuses for what we have not been abale to do on a regular basis. I also think very highly of UM, Appy, UNI, SIU, and various other teams and conferences. I think the FCS is incredible and not because of one conference.

McNeese72
December 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM

xpopcornx xpopcornx

Doc

Torgo
December 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Because Deleware fans would rather talk about the "glory" of their conference...

Am I the only one somewhat confused as to why in a thread about the National Championship Game between Montana and Villanova the fan base doing the most smack talking is Delaware's?

Seems rather odd.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
"For most of this year" is very tough to determine until you reach the playoffs and see the best teams from the best conferences go at it.

I'm not trying to bounce around from season to decade to season to decade. I wait for you to present an arguemnet and then I refute it.

This season supports that position. The BSC was considered for most of the season (your words not mine) to be #2. The playoffs came and that was not the case. You spoke about the decade and I presented you wih facts you simply didn't like...that doesn't change that they are true.

You have not presented an arguement, for this decade or this season that has not had major holes in it. That is the purpose of this board, is to discuss them.

As far as the decade goes, again ceratin claims were made that were not accuarte. I'm not talking smack at all. You will not find me celebrating UD nor will you find me making excuses for what we have not been abale to do on a regular basis. I also think very highly of UM, Appy, UNI, SIU, and various other teams and conferences. I think the FCS is incredible and not because of one conference.

xlolx Just take it to the smack board if you cannot tell the truth.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM

I really don't want to get involved, so Im only going to make one post in this argument, For this season as far as conferences go, when the playoffs came along, CAA had 4 teams (sent the most) and BSC had 3 teams (2nd most) sure Weber and Eastern Wa didn't move pas the first round, but neither did Elon so the Socon only had one of two teams move on and BSC had one of three. Wouldn't that make THIS YEAR, BSC the #2 conference? Supporting the number 2 rating I've been hearing about under the terms you are referring to here?

Again, I really don't care, and am just excited for tomorrow night, but I saw flawed logic.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I really don't want to get involved, so Im only going to make one post in this argument, For this season as far as conferences go, when the playoffs came along, CAA had 4 teams (sent the most) and BSC had 3 teams (2nd most) sure Weber and Eastern Wa didn't move pas the first round, but neither did Elon so the Socon only had one of two teams move on and BSC had one of three. Wouldn't that make THIS YEAR, BSC the #2 conference? Supporting the number 2 rating I've been hearing about under the terms you are referring to here?

Again, I really don't care, and am just excited for tomorrow night, but I saw flawed logic.

And to the main point of this thread, good luck in Chattanooga! xthumbsupx

catbob
December 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I like cookies. A lot.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I like cookies. A lot.

Yeah well I hate cookies, and brownies have been better than cookies for the last five years by my records, in fact pie has even been better than cookies.:)

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
You left fudge out of the argument? Much better than cookies or brownies!

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
You left fudge out of the argument? Much better than cookies or brownies!

Touche! I guess that makes Cookies #4 with Fudge #1, Brownies #2 and Pie #3. But if you leave frosting off the brownies, they are really #3, and if you look back to 2003 when the cookies had chocolate chips, they were #1

TokyoGriz
December 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Who cares about Deleware this is the Nova-Montana Championship thread!

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Am I the only one somewhat confused as to why in a thread about the National Championship Game between Montana and Villanova the fan base doing the most smack talking is Delaware's?

Seems rather odd.

Who cares about Deleware this is the Nova-Montana Championship thread!

Then why do you guys bring up that school into the conversation? The only people talking about that school, strangely, in the past few pages of this thread are Griz fans. Frankly, I don't understand their inclusion any more than you guys do, but frankly, I don't understand why you are the only guys bringing it up. xrotatehx

Crackgina
December 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe we have Hen envy?

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Then why do you guys bring up that school into the conversation? The only people talking about that school, strangely, in the past few pages of this thread are Griz fans. Frankly, I don't understand their inclusion any more than you guys do, but frankly, I don't understand why you are the only guys bringing it up. xrotatehx

Were lonely and Nova wont talk to us, we want Delaware to be our friends and talk to us, so so lonely.

GannonFan
December 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Were lonely and Nova wont talk to us, we want Delaware to be our friends and talk to us, so so lonely.

Of course you are, all 5 nova football fans are probably in Chattanooga already - assuming, of course, that they didn't already have tickets for nova basketball versus Fordham on Saturday afternoon up at the Meadowlands in NJ.

But hey, don't worry, any self-respecting Hens fan is pulling heavily for the Griz in this one!!!!xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
99 percent of the time when the conference superiority argument brought up, it isn't a CAA fan, it's usually a fan of another conference.. I'm not saying... I'm just saying xwhistlexxwhistlex

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Of course you are, all 5 nova football fans are probably in Chattanooga already - assuming, of course, that they didn't already have tickets for nova basketball versus Fordham on Saturday afternoon up at the Meadowlands in NJ.

But hey, don't worry, any self-respecting Hens fan is pulling heavily for the Griz in this one!!!!xthumbsupx

I'm leaving at midnight xthumbsupx The School sold out two buses full of students plus several hundred more traveling there by themselves.

At least you self respecting hens are pulling for a team instead of a bus crash.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
99 percent of the time when the conference superiority argument brought up, it isn't a CAA fan, it's usually a fan of another conference.. I'm not saying... I'm just saying xwhistlexxwhistlex

On the contrary reading back, it starts with a Nova fan saying Montana only "looks" good because of an easy conferance at which point someone gets butt hurt, and it all starts over again, so yes, it is CAA bringing it up. why can't we just all go to nooga, drink some beer, and enjoy the game? Please? Anyone want to buy us all tickets?

Native
December 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Is Delaware not part of the CAA, or is HenZoneNation your "1%" ??!!!?!???

The hijack post that started this foolishness:

…The problem you guys have is your conference. ...

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Oh Naive...you just fall into every situation head first...posters just called for that to end...you told me to go to smack talk when not once have I ever attacked you...and then blamed the CAA for keeping these discussion alive...you're the best. xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Is Delaware not part of the CAA, or is HenZoneNation your "1%" ??!!!?!???

The hijack post that started this foolishness:

HenZoneNation is my 1%

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
And here I was starting to respect the Delaware fans...until GannonFan chimed in. :D

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I'm leaving at midnight xthumbsupx The School sold out two buses full of students plus several hundred more traveling there by themselves.

At least you self respecting hens are pulling for a team instead of a bus crash.

xoutofrepx

Grrrrriz
December 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM

This is totally ridiculous. Its usually a CAA guy saying the Griz are overinflated due to their easy conference. You are joking right?

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I believe everything all started about the sensitive Montanans getting butt hurt over Talley's comments.

jlcharles
December 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Safe travels to everyone making the trip to Chatty! I'll see you Nova guys at the VUAA tailgate!

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
HenZoneNation is my 1%

Easy easy...I'd hate to have to bust out some Dr. dRE LYRICS, xsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Easy easy...I'd hate to have to bust out some Dr. dRE LYRICS, xsmiley_wix

I'm expressin' with my full capability, now i'm livin in correctional facilities, cuz some don't agree with how i do this, i get straight meditate like a buddhist.

Like that? xsmiley_wix

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm expressin' with my full capability, now i'm livin in correctional facilities, cuz some don't agree with how i do this, i get straight mediate like a buddhist.

Like that xsmiley_wix

I was gonna quote Dre Day...but Ol' school NWA never hurts...that video was great.

Ronbo
December 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I sure hope we win and if we do that means the CAA is really not as dominate as they proclaim. Only one NC in 5 years. The same as the Big Sky. If Nova wins then they get our props and the CAA does also.xnodx

App. State is the dominate program the last 5 years with 3 NC's.xnodx

JohnStOnge
December 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I sure hope we win and if we do that means the CAA is really not as dominate as they proclaim. Only one NC in 5 years. The same as the Big Sky. If Nova wins then they get our props and the CAA does also.xnodx

App. State is the dominate program the last 5 years with 3 NC's.xnodx

Even if Montana wins the CAA will still have had 5 different programs in the national championship game over the past 7 years. It has clearly been by far the toughtest conference. Now, things can change at any time. Until 1998 when UMass made and won the national title game the conference we now know as the CAA as middle of the pack at best. But for now that's the way it is.

HenZoneNation
December 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
That is great topic of discussion...how do we determine the teams and conferences of the decade and how would they measure up.

You look at Appy and they had a great five year run with 3 NC. Most likely the clear cut favorite...but who's 2,3,and 4? How does Montana measure up to them if they win? They would have 1 less NC than Appy but have beaten them head to head twice.

If Montana wins do you still consider the CAA the conference of the decade even though they would have 1 fewer NC's than the Socon? Do you chalk up the 3 of the four NCs not to the Socon being as strong as the CAA but that Appy was a dynasty...similiar asking was the AL East the most dominate division in baseball during the Yankee dynasty or was it only the Yankees...when the Pats won 3 Super Bowls in four years did that make the NFC East the strongest conference? Good debate.

If Nova wins...what does that determine about the CAA? 4 different teams with 4 NC. What does that say about Montana's position only having 1 NC?

Good post Rondo.

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'll say again, if we win tomorrow night we have had a more impressive decade than the "big ol' mighty" CAA conference...

Come on HenZoneNation...BITE!

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Catholics versus Convicts part two :D

Ronbo
December 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
That is great topic of discussion...how do we determine the teams and conferences of the decade and how would they measure up.

You look at Appy and they had a great five year run with 3 NC. Most likely the clear cut favorite...but who's 2,3,and 4? How does Montana measure up to them if they win? They would have 1 less NC than Appy but have beaten them head to head twice.

If Montana wins do you still consider the CAA the conference of the decade even though they would have 1 fewer NC's than the Socon? Do you chalk up the 3 of the four NCs not to the Socon being as strong as the CAA but that Appy was a dynasty...similiar asking was the AL East the most dominate division in baseball during the Yankee dynasty or was it only the Yankees...when the Pats won 3 Super Bowls in four years did that make the NFC East the strongest conference? Good debate.

If Nova wins...what does that determine about the CAA? 4 different teams with 4 NC. What does that say about Montana's position only having 1 NC?

Good post Rondo.

I'll still be mighty proud that Montana got to the chipper in 2000, 2001, 2004, 2008, and 2009. Has anyone averaged a NC appearance every other year for a decade? Youngstown maybe? Anyone know?

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'll still be mighty proud that Montana got to the chipper in 2000, 2001, 2004, 2008, and 2009. Has anyone averaged a NC appearance every other year for a decade? Youngstown maybe? Anyone know?

I think all 6 of Yougstown State's chipper appearances were in the 90s.

charliej
December 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Thats an awsome accomplishment!xnodx

How many other BSC teams have made it in that same time frame? Or, how many have made it to the semi's?

Native
December 17th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Even if Montana wins the CAA will still have had 5 different programs in the national championship game over the past 7 years. It has clearly been by far the toughtest conference. Now, things can change at any time. Until 1998 when UMass made and won the national title game the conference we now know as the CAA as middle of the pack at best. But for now that's the way it is.

Nope!

Even though a seven year window of comparison conveniently maximizes CAA playoff performance, they are still only tied with the SOCON for national championships (three) thus far from 2003 to 2009.

During that same period, both Wofford and Furman from the SOCON also made semifinal appearances for the SOCON, which has enjoyed a higher winning percentage in the playoffs.

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
This is the national championship thread! move the conference talk to the other thread.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Good post Rondo.

On an individual team basis over the past decade, Appalachian State is #1 and Montana is #2 using most of the possible ways to slice and or dice it. No other teams come close.

On a conference basis the CAA will only tie the SOCON for conference of the decade, but only if Villanova wins this week.

Good point, though, about potentially four different CAA teams winning the NC.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM

ummmm.... I dont get it.

Henny
December 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The CAA is, by far the strongest conference this decade, there is ne debate. As for the NC in 09, if Montana can figure out 'Novas defense, they will have a chance. I think they will an if so, it will be a close game, nova 27-24.

Native
December 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The CAA is, by far the strongest conference this decade, there is ne debate. As for the NC in 09, if Montana can figure out 'Novas defense, they will have a chance. I think they will an if so, it will be a close game, nova 27-24.

SOCON has more national championships and a higher post season winning percentage in this decade.

Moreover, in 17 head-to-head CAA vs SOCON post season match ups in this decade, four different SOCON teams have amassed a 9-8 winning record. The SOCON is 2-0 versus the CAA in national title games.

Each conference has made six appearances in the title game, Ga Southern App State, and Furman for the SOCON, and Delaware, UMass, JMU, UR andVillanova for the CAA.

Four of nine SOCON teams and six of twelve CAA teams have made the semifinals. The SOCON has made eleven semi-final appearances, and the CAA has made twelve.

... No debate????xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
ummmm.... I dont get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholics_vs._Convicts
The only difference is, this time the Catholics will be the good guys.

GolfingGriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Oh the irony

WyomingGrizFan
December 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
You know, I'm just peachie-keen in love with the fact that most, if not all, CAA fans are spouting about the strength of their conference in place of the strenght of their, what's Villanova's mascot? I, for one, duly conceed the fact that, indeed, the CAA is the stronger conference; but for all of that, most if not all CAA fans are like Bruno against Popeye before he ate his spinach. The neurotic misdirection, being that Villanova fans are gleening their strength of a shallow argument from the facts of history, of what fellow conference members have done, in order to win a shouting match no less; as if that's going to determine the outcome of the game between the team Griz and the CAA come friday night.

I'm elated!!! As if I'm persuaded by some newbie on the block, first time to the Championship game no less, and their so-called knowlegeable arguments of how the CAA will win out against the team called the Griz. Sorry putty-tat, the games' played on the field, not in the stands; nor in the blogs either. You keep that argument up it'll turn out like the Griz is like Popeye after he eats his spinach. Tough luck Dude!!! Better luck next time. Come back when you know how to wear your diapers.

This is like money in the bank.
As it has been presented up to now : Da Griz defeated Appalachian State. (We ate our spinach; Armanti Edwards two-time Payton award winner for the FCS) Appalachian State defeated Richmond, co-champion with Villanova of the CAA. Subsequently well reasoned, Da Griz defeat Villanova and go undefeated, 15 - 0 and are National Champions FCS.

You just keep on ballyhoo-ing the CAA now, ya hear. Thank ya kindly. Who cares about what your team does. Villanova fans? Hells bells, this is the CAA against Da Griz; what else can easily play into our hands!!! I'm loving it!!! Go Griz!!!!!

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Are you refering to Miami vs Norter Dame? I was at the game at Miami in 1986 with Lou Holtz coaching and Vinny Testaverty (sp?) playing for Miami. What a great game, I was in the student section for Miami and never heard so much cussing in my life. FU ND and people wearing Catholics vs Convicts shirts.

HLNgriz
December 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I think I just aged myself?

charliej
December 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM

LOL...senior moment? ;)

Hoyadestroya85
December 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Are you refering to Miami vs Norter Dame? I was at the game at Miami in 1986 with Lou Holtz coaching and Vinny Testaverty (sp?) playing for Miami. What a great game, I was in the student section for Miami and never heard so much cussing in my life. FU ND and people wearing Catholics vs Convicts shirts.
That's awesome, I always wanted to go to a game at the OB, it's a shame they couldn't fix up that place, what a stadium.

It's all good.. It was a good Story. xthumbsupx

CrackerRiley
December 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Don't know if anyone has brought this up....

This game is the Matchup of the Day on ESPN's Streak for the Cash! Should get some good TV viewership.

I chose Montana to win, BTW.xthumbsupx

Good luck to both teams.

Zangzigger
December 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I saw that. It's great publicity for the game right on the front page of espn.com

rlslim
December 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM

I understand the reference, but can you really compare us to the "bad boy" Canes?

09griz
December 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
You know for some reason I'm not terribly worried about this championship game in a way that I've been worried about the griz since the MSU-UM game, but in hindsight (as we have won every game we have played this season) perhaps that's not a good thing. I think, rather hope, that this game will defy everyone's expectations and be, somehow, more exciting a finish than either semifinal matches combined.

Good luck Villanova, I feel like you're gonna need it. Montana has the look of a team that has clicked at the right time and we'll see, I suppose, if you can un-hit the switch.

soccerguy315
December 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know if you can get a better ending than multiple shots at the end zone to win the game as time is ticking down. ASU/UM was surely one of the best endings to a college football game this season.

putter
December 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I don't know if you can get a better ending than multiple shots at the end zone to win the game as time is ticking down. ASU/UM was surely one of the best endings to a college football game this season.

The game will be talked about for a long, long time

WyomingGrizFan
December 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM
The game will be talked about for a long, long time

Well, let's just hope we don't lose sight of the fact we got one more game to play. I know, I know, damn, we got another one? Geez. Weren't the last three good enough? Now they want an encore no less.

A.) Poll suggestion: who do you think feels worse right now?...the question. Choices: S. F. Austin for losing 51 - 0 or, South Dakota State for losing a game by thirteen when they had a 48 - 21 lead?

B.) Remember Villanova, if you get ahead in this game Da Griz have got you right where they want ya.

Torgo
December 18th, 2009, 05:07 AM
South Dakota State has to be reeling from that one still.

Blowouts, especially to end a season, sting...but not nearly as much as a huge blown lead. If the Griz win that would be like pouring a canister of salt into an open wound.

holycrossC
December 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I would say that the brackets were just about even.. UNH was about even with SDSU (they just couldn't get footing against us) HC was probably better than SFA and W&M and App St. were about equal.

As for Villanova throwing the ball, if you really really stop us from running we can throw the ball. Whitney has thrown for 200 yards three times this season (only three times he's needed to) Temple completely shut down our running game but Whitney threw for 270 yards and led us to the win. The only teams that have shut down our running game (Temple and Penn) have had awesome run stuffing nose tackles.

Ah, you speak well of my home boy Joe Goniprow for Penn. Watched him all through high school, he was a beast.

holycrossC
December 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Well, let's just hope we don't lose sight of the fact we got one more game to play. I know, I know, damn, we got another one? Geez. Weren't the last three good enough? Now they want an encore no less.

A.) Poll suggestion: who do you think feels worse right now?...the question. Choices: S. F. Austin for losing 51 - 0 or, South Dakota State for losing a game by thirteen when they had a 48 - 21 lead?

B.) Remember Villanova, if you get ahead in this game Da Griz have got you right where they want ya.

All I got to say is, there's gonna be a lot of sad hicks in the north west tonight.xbawlingx

Rekdiver
December 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Its Griz weather.......... I hope there is a crowd..........

VUCats02
December 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM
"Remember Villanova, if you get ahead in this game Da Griz have got you right where they want ya."

Remember Montana. In Villanova's two biggest wins of this season (Temple and W&M the second time around), they were down 10-0 at the half. They were also down to Richmond late in that game. If you get ahead in this game, Da Cats have got you right where they want ya
;-)

Torgo
December 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
And if this game is tied...that Grats have you right where you want them.

Gah, my stomach can't take all this waiting.

VUCats02
December 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
For anyone who wants to read up on some of the press conferences in Chatty, here's a link:

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121709aaf.html

mtbigdog
December 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Will Selle run with the ball more with Nova and their blitzes? He doesn't seem to be comfortable much out side of the pocket. Any comments from griz fans?

Kadester
December 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Vegas has Nova by 3. Raining really hard in Chatty currently. The weather looks to favor the Wildcats.

TheValleyRaider
December 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Tentative vote for Villanova. Going on a hunch, not much else

I would not be surprised in the slightest to see either team win this game. 2 of the top teams in the FCS all season long, this has the makings of a great Championship game xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Gonzo
December 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Vegas has Nova by 3. Raining really hard in Chatty currently. The weather looks to favor the Wildcats.

Why would the weather favor the Wildcats

GolfingGriz
December 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM

We won in a blizzard six days ago. I think we can handle a little rain.

Pards Rule
December 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Picked da Griz!

Ronbo
December 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
That tonight's going to be a good night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFYivgUjB1A

Skjellyfetti
December 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D51177%26d%3D118226 5390&usg=AFQjCNErcbAxoT9TZfJcS9VbsD6bpX0_tw

Silenoz
December 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Last night I had a nightmare that I forgot about the game and missed it

I have never been so relieved to wake up xlolx

Kadester
December 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Why would the weather favor the Wildcats

Ladies,

Rain is a lot different than dry snow. I was in the crowd cheering on the Griz. A down pour is a whole different beast.

bshgriz
December 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
P.S. It rains in Montana too.. We even got some thunder and lightning once. xrotatehxxrotatehx

fencer24
December 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
How lame is this thread compared to last week, when we went over 100 pages before the game even started.

Gonzo
December 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ladies,

Rain is a lot different than dry snow. I was in the crowd cheering on the Griz. A down pour is a whole different beast.

But wouldn't a sloppy field nuetralize the "huge" speed advantage Villanova has our big slow guys

Bronco
December 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
But wouldn't a sloppy field nuetralize the "huge" speed advantage Villanova has our big slow guys

Rain also muffles sound

Dblue
December 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM

What?!?
Scratches head.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
now here is an out on the limb prediction for you - the game will be won in the 4th quarter!
and before you start calling me a DA, What I'm really saying is that these games seem to take on an entirely different look in the later part of the game when one team is worn down, defense is spent, I think it comes down to depth and keeping players fresh.
The Richmond defense was defenseless in the late 4th qtr of the Elon game as well as the ASU game.

Hoyadestroya85
December 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ah, you speak well of my home boy Joe Goniprow for Penn. Watched him all through high school, he was a beast.

the fact that he wasn't an all american was a crime.

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
What it boils down to is, Villanova is the better team. Mark Reardon is also one of the smartest coaches in ALL of college football. The man is a true student of the game. I played for him. The Villanova defense will be ready and hungry.

Native
December 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Very cool run up to the game on espn2!

Kadester
December 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Here's a couple of posts of Ap State fans regarding their Montana experience:

“I posted this on the Mountaineer Message Board and also wanted you guys to see it. Thanks for a great time Saturday! Looking forward to our next meeting!

"It goes without saying that we all had our still-beating hearts ripped right out of our chests on Saturday. It was hard to hold back the tears watching 14 walk slowly through the snow up the tunnel as the Montana celebration was going on behind him. It was pretty quiet on the team plane coming home. Lots of Mountaineers are hurting today. The threads that point fingers and place blame don't interest me. It's better to reflect on how much this team overcame this year, what a great season it was, and thank our players and coaches for all their hard work.

Now that being said, hats off to the fans in Missoula! The Washington-Griz Stadium game atmosphere must be the best in FCS football. It's hands-down the best I have ever experienced. Their fans are loud and proud and I'm telling you they never ever shut up. We certainly have our moments at KBS, but nothing compared to this. This place could rival the atmosphere of any FBS stadium you can name. The stadium is a deep concrete bowl and they use the acoustics to full advantage. And another thing. Their fans are incredibly gracious. I had Griz fans say welcome to Missoula, thank you for coming to the game, enjoy the game over and over again. We met many, many people and they were all friendly with no exceptions. Even had a guy in the stadium grab me by both shoulders face on and say we're glad you're here, enjoy the game. Thought he was going to hug me! They made us feel very welcome. I can only hope fans from opposing teams who visit Boone feel as welcome as we did there. It's something to aspire to."

"I was at the game today and I know I will be blasted here, but unless you (not directed towards you GoldJacket) were there today, you can't respond to me here. Their atmosphere is a lot better than The Rock. Their crowd makes Michigan's 109,000 sound like mice. I promise you that there isn't another stadium in our division like Montana's stadium and fans. It was the loudest place I have ever been to in my life. Our 30K+ isn't even close to the 22,000 I heard today. The experience was awesome today.

Their fans are the best fans in all of college football. They loved our team, fans and AE. They said he was the best QB they have ever seen. They are looking forward to coming to The Rock in 2012.

ALL I CAN SAY, IS PLEASE START SAVING UP YOUR MONEY FOR 2013. YOU WILL NOT WANT TO LEAVE MONTANA AFTER THE GAME. The place freaking rock and you will be treated with 100% RESPECT from all the fans. I just can't tell everyone on this board how nice the Montana fans are and the respect they give our Apps!!!

We had a great season and we all need to keep our heads up and stop all this fighting on the other treads. We are upset right now, but we got beat by a VERY GOOD team, better than what I thought.

Go Apps!!"

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
^ ^ That is a great post! Happy so many App fans enjoyed the game...it was a great atmosphere.

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO PUMPED for this game. Only 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know if Ross Ventrone is healthy?

CrackerRiley
December 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Man, I would be so smashed right now if I was at this game....

Wait, I am anyways. :D

Looking forward to a good game. Keep showing everyone how good the FCS is, fellas!

Stubbins
December 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Why is this day the longest day ever?

Kadester, where is that picture taken? maybe the 'root?

TokyoGriz
December 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Anyone know were can hear the game online radio or somehing?

In japan cant get espn 360 :(

charliej
December 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know if Ross Ventrone is healthy?

There were some quotes from him in Chatty papers.... made no mention of him being hurt.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I've always had much respect for the Griz (they are what many programs want to be when they grow upxthumbsupx), but tonight I'm pulling for Villanova. A little bit the CAA thing but mostly I'd like for UNH be the 1 on the national champs final record.

charliej
December 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Try www.channelsurfing.net ...can get a live stream there.

And good luck Griz.... (not too much tho):D

uofmman1122
December 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Man, I'm freaking out! xeekx

Haven't been this nervous about a game in forever!

Kickoff can't get here soon enough!

GO GRIZ!!!

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:17 PM
You can also stream the game live on ESPN360 website.

Henny
December 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Man Montana respects this level of football so much more tham 'nova. It means everything to them and that reminds me of UD. We embrace the FCS just like Montana.

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Why is Montana so consistent in terms of its program? With all due respect, given the location I can't imagine there being much of a recruiting draw (apart from the wonderful football program). But every year they seem to be at least in the running for the NC. I respect the hell out of the school and its program. This is an honest question, not a dig at all.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Poll closed?...I didn't get to votexmadx

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Why is Montana so consistent in terms of its program? With all due respect, given the location I can't imagine there being much of a recruiting draw (apart from the wonderful football program). But every year they seem to be at least in the running for the NC. I respect the hell out of the school and its program. This is an honest question, not a dig at all.

Well, Montana football is taken very seriously. Most of our roster are Montana boys...High School ball is a very big deal here as well. This state loves football on all levels and when you are in high school and play football, you dream of being a Griz. That's how I was anyway. Some are good enough to go bigger, but most of them stay in state and are drawn to the "Biggest Show in Montana". Recruits from Cali come by often too and fall in love with the atmosphere and the "perks" of being a Montana Football Celebrity.

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Man Montana respects this level of football so much more tham 'nova. It means everything to them and that reminds me of UD. We embrace the FCS just like Montana.

Wow, Delaware and Villanova are consistent rivals. I believe Villanova is actually beating Delaware in the series of games played. Not foundation for that comment (other than being bitter). Villanova is a much more polished program than Delaware.

mlbowl
Poll closed?...I didn't get to votexmadx

You wanted Montana.....right;)

caribbeanhen
Here's a couple of posts of Ap State fans regarding their Montana experience:

“I posted this on the Mountaineer Message Board and also wanted you guys to see it. Thanks for a great time Saturday! Looking forward to our next meeting!

"It goes without saying that we all had our still-beating hearts ripped right out of our chests on Saturday. It was hard to hold back the tears watching 14 walk slowly through the snow up the tunnel as the Montana celebration was going on behind him. It was pretty quiet on the team plane coming home. Lots of Mountaineers are hurting today. The threads that point fingers and place blame don't interest me. It's better to reflect on how much this team overcame this year, what a great season it was, and thank our players and coaches for all their hard work.

Yea, the Montana football fans remind me of Duke basketball fansxthumbsupx

Now that being said, hats off to the fans in Missoula! The Washington-Griz Stadium game atmosphere must be the best in FCS football. It's hands-down the best I have ever experienced. Their fans are loud and proud and I'm telling you they never ever shut up. We certainly have our moments at KBS, but nothing compared to this. This place could rival the atmosphere of any FBS stadium you can name. The stadium is a deep concrete bowl and they use the acoustics to full advantage. And another thing. Their fans are incredibly gracious. I had Griz fans say welcome to Missoula, thank you for coming to the game, enjoy the game over and over again. We met many, many people and they were all friendly with no exceptions. Even had a guy in the stadium grab me by both shoulders face on and say we're glad you're here, enjoy the game. Thought he was going to hug me! They made us feel very welcome. I can only hope fans from opposing teams who visit Boone feel as welcome as we did there. It's something to aspire to."

"I was at the game today and I know I will be blasted here, but unless you (not directed towards you GoldJacket) were there today, you can't respond to me here. Their atmosphere is a lot better than The Rock. Their crowd makes Michigan's 109,000 sound like mice. I promise you that there isn't another stadium in our division like Montana's stadium and fans. It was the loudest place I have ever been to in my life. Our 30K+ isn't even close to the 22,000 I heard today. The experience was awesome today.

Their fans are the best fans in all of college football. They loved our team, fans and AE. They said he was the best QB they have ever seen. They are looking forward to coming to The Rock in 2012.

ALL I CAN SAY, IS PLEASE START SAVING UP YOUR MONEY FOR 2013. YOU WILL NOT WANT TO LEAVE MONTANA AFTER THE GAME. The place freaking rock and you will be treated with 100% RESPECT from all the fans. I just can't tell everyone on this board how nice the Montana fans are and the respect they give our Apps!!!

We had a great season and we all need to keep our heads up and stop all this fighting on the other treads. We are upset right now, but we got beat by a VERY GOOD team, better than what I thought.

Go Apps!!"

Montana fb fans remind me of Duke basketball fans

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Well, Montana football is taken very seriously. Most of our roster are Montana boys...High School ball is a very big deal here as well. This state loves football on all levels and when you are in high school and play football, you dream of being a Griz. That's how I was anyway. Some are good enough to go bigger, but most of them stay in state and are drawn to the "Biggest Show in Montana". Recruits from Cali come by often too and fall in love with the atmosphere and the "perks" of being a Montana Football Celebrity.

Makes sense. Very cool. Thanks. Probably contributes to the overwhelming fan base as well. I guess you could literally follow your guys from high school all the way through. The passion is inspiring. Still hope we kick the hell out of you guys though.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
You wanted Montana.....right;)

I'll let ya' know in a couple hours

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Makes sense. Very cool. Thanks. Probably contributes to the overwhelming fan base as well. I guess you could literally follow your guys from high school all the way through. The passion is inspiring. Still hope we kick the hell out of you guys though.

Ditto (but vice versa).

And many of these kids we all hear about before they are grizzlies. It's a great tradition, and ESPN last week couldn't have said it better...Many Grandfathers and fathers that played Grizzly football are watching their sons tonight.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Wow, Delaware and Villanova are consistent rivals. I believe Villanova is actually beating Delaware in the series of games played. Not foundation for that comment (other than being bitter). Villanova is a much more polished program than Delaware.

your achilles heel will be all the empty seats tonight, this is one Hen fan that wishes you would fill the place up....instead of a kickoff we could have a jump ball to get you guys to the gamexlolx

RobsPics
December 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM

dont forget to try http://atdhe.net/

they have lots of streams there

Kadester
December 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Why is this day the longest day ever?

Kadester, where is that picture taken? maybe the 'root?

Smart man. Me and a bud matchin the hatch.

Go Griz

Henny
December 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM

More polished at this moment. As for the future, we shall see.........as for the total series, that includes nova division 1 versus UD as division 2.

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
your achilles heel will be all the empty seats tonight, this is one Hen fan that wishes you would fill the place up....instead of a kickoff we could have a jump ball to get you guys to the gamexlolx

Yea its tough to compete with Villanova Basketball (#3 in the nation I believe) . However, with or without fans, Nova has maintained an excellent football program. And, statistically speaking over the years we have been a better program than Delaware. Going by friends of mine that played at Delaware (class of 05), Delaware fans don't love their football team. They go to the games because they LOVE the stadium and partying involved...and its Delaware dude, what else are you going to do?

Nova14
December 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
More polished at this moment. As for the future, we shall see.........as for the total series, that includes nova division 1 versus UD as division 2.

You mean we shall see AFTER Villanova finishes up playing in the National championship this year? OK, I guess we will talk next year.xthumbsupx

Henny
December 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
You mean we shall see AFTER Villanova finishes up playing in the National championship this year? OK, I guess we will talk next year.xthumbsupx

Sounds good!

silvertipgriz
December 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Here we go !!!

TheValleyRaider
December 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Game Thread is up and running: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67485

Come on over :)

GreatAppSt
December 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Cheers to you, the 37.02% Who picked Nova for the WIN!!!xbowxxbowx

19Duke97, 3PeatNation, 401ks, 89Hen, Anovafan, Appalachian, Appattk, AppinBlack, appmaj, aust42, batrack, BDKJMU, BFox7, BigHouseClosedEnd, blur2005, ButlerGSU, caribbeanhen, catatac, CatfishKhan, Catsfan2, charliej, crusader11, DFW HOYA, dgreco, Downstate Hen, Dukie95, FCS, Fear the Bird, GannonFan, GetWild2010, GoAgs72, GoBlueHens83, GoDukes86, GOKATS, GoneTribal, GOODY26, GreatAppSt, HensRock, Henwatcher, HenZoneNation, holycrossC, Hoyadestroya85, Husky4Life, Ivytalk, jlcharles, JMU Newbill, JMU-MRD-DAD, JMUDrew, jmufan999, JMUNJ08, jstclmet, KAUMASS, LacesOut, LeadBolt, LetsGoNova, Livgriz, lknspider, lsu2469, LUHawker, Madisonian, molly, Monarch Nation, MR. CHICKEN, MSU_77, Nadji Nook, Nova58, Nova69, NovaHater, NovaWildcat, ODU12thMan, OL FU, oldSLOguy, Owl Wingman, paward, Philliesfan980, Pitz, Purple7, R3TRO, Redwyn, saccat, SFA 71, Sioux, Spider, Spiderbone, SpidersSportsEditor, texcap, TheHerb, TheTribeHasSpoken, TheValleyRaider, Thundar, Tribe4SF, tribefan40, TribeinDC, tribe_pride, UD77, UDJooHens, UMass922, UncleSam, UNHFan@RWU, UNHWildCats, VforVictory, ViennaSpider, VT Wildcat Fan53, VUCats02, wapiti, YOsef, Zangzigger

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Not a bad job by the Wildcat O Line after all was measured and weighed, ..... Congrats to both teams!

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Tune in Friday to witness the best Offensive Line in FCS.:)

17 sacks in 14 games.
260.2 yards per game passing. 33 TD's
167.4 yards per game rushing. 29 TD's

Yep. I sure did.

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 06:35 AM
now here is an out on the limb prediction for you - the game will be won in the 4th quarter!
and before you start calling me a DA, What I'm really saying is that these games seem to take on an entirely different look in the later part of the game when one team is worn down, defense is spent, I think it comes down to depth and keeping players fresh.
The Richmond defense was defenseless in the late 4th qtr of the Elon game as well as the ASU game.

darn, just when you think you got this football thing figured out something like this comes out of LF

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Yea its tough to compete with Villanova Basketball (#3 in the nation I believe) . However, with or without fans, Nova has maintained an excellent football program. And, statistically speaking over the years we have been a better program than Delaware. Going by friends of mine that played at Delaware (class of 05), Delaware fans don't love their football team. They go to the games because they LOVE the stadium and partying involved...and its Delaware dude, what else are you going to do?

just enjoy your NC and the fact that not many care, but the last sentence of your post is just wrong in so many waysxnonono2x,