Zangzigger
December 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM
The big hit on App State was the #1 Play of the Day. A nice plug for the FCS

soccerguy315
December 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
W&M had the #9 play on Friday night / saturday morning also

UMass922
December 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed it was the game-winning TD catch. I'd completely forgotten about that hit on Cline. That play was almost an afterthought in light of how great the game turned out to be by the end.

gbhmt
December 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Anybody have a video????

Baller1
December 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnW6yO6Ie5o&feature=player_embedded

Dexter X
December 13th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Here's the play on Sports center. Someone posted this over on Egriz. Seems like every week Thompson destroys some poor receiver or tight end like this. Hell of a hitter for a small DB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQUF70PT4c

th0m
December 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnW6yO6Ie5o&feature=player_embedded

I must say that I find it ironic that this particular video was posted on Youtube by a Michigan fan xlolx

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I must say that I find it ironic that this particular video was posted on Youtube by a Michigan fan xlolx

Being a student at Michigan State, I know first hand that Michigan fans do everything they can to try and ease the pain of failure. xlolx

HiHiYikas
December 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Nice that this game got all the attention it did from ESPN.

On the bright side, the noise shouldn't have bothered Matt Cline for the rest of the day. I think all he heard was ringing.

TokyoGriz
December 13th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Nice that this game got all the attention it did from ESPN.

On the bright side, the noise shouldn't have bothered Matt Cline for the rest of the day. I think all he heard was ringing.

Lol xlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx

I concur that the best thing to really come out of the game was the positive attention FCS will get from this great game from both teams.

Pards Rule
December 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I wonder if ESPN would have pushed off the Heisman Award if the game went into OT? Its like I wont remember who won the trophy in another month (its not important to me) but a lot of folks (including me) will remember an excellent game. Heisman, pffft.

whoanellie
December 13th, 2009, 05:30 AM
lit up!!! it was ruled incomplete? i believe he had it.me thinks it was a fumble? ball was still in-bounds

TokyoGriz
December 13th, 2009, 05:39 AM
lit up!!! it was ruled incomplete? i believe he had it.me thinks it was a fumble? ball was still in-bounds

*Shrug* There were a couple of questionable "non" fumbles today.

Its all good stll turned out ok in the end.

Bogus Megapardus
December 13th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I wonder if ESPN would have pushed off the Heisman Award if the game went into OT? Its like I wont remember who won the trophy in another month (its not important to me) but a lot of folks (including me) will remember an excellent game. Heisman, pffft.

Throughout the Army - Navy game and throughout the App - Griz game they wouldn't shut up about the Heisman. Then they make an hour long show about it. It sells advertising. You can bet they would have cut off that last App drive just to get to the pre-Heisman fluff. I also notice the keep putting on "experts" to mouth the BCS talking points about why the FCS playoffs suck and people should be clamoring to keep the bowl system.

Did it occur to anyone that the game just played in Missoula was perhaps the finest college football played on any level?

PhoenixPhan
December 13th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Did it occur to anyone that the game just played in Missoula was perhaps the finest college football played on any level?

While it was certainly a great game and an incredible nail-biter, I don't think you can go this far. With the number of drops and missed opportunities, I can't call it the best football played. Maybe the best to watch, but not the best played. With that said though, if App had made a play in the endzone to send it into OT, I might have been able to look past the rest of the drops

Old Cat Fan
December 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
The first thing that I thought of when I watched this play was Spearing. The Montana player drilled the App player with the top of his helmet. Anyone have the NCAA exact rule on spearing.

PhoenixPhan
December 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The first thing that I thought of when I watched this play was Spearing. The Montana player drilled the App player with the top of his helmet. Anyone have the NCAA exact rule on spearing.

SECTION 24. Spearing
ARTICLE 1. Spearing is the use of the helmet (including the face mask) in
an attempt to punish an opponent.

15 yard penalty, automatic first down.

B2, a defensive back, spears A1 while A2 is running with the ball.
RULING: Personal foul. Penalty—15 yards from the basic spot
and first down.

from http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1.pdf

grizzpaw
December 13th, 2009, 09:28 AM
anybody who thinks that was spearing knows NOTHING about football! suck wind!

fltheadgriz
December 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I thought the gist of spearing was the helmet was being used to punish the opposing player in the back.
If I recollect in the 80s and 90s many players had their spines hurt from this and many that did the spearing had their necks hurt.
I don't remember spearing being frontal but almost always from the back.

Old Cat Fan
December 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
anybody who thinks that was spearing knows NOTHING about football! suck wind!

Initiating Contact/Targeting an Opponent
ARTICLE 3. a. No player shall initiate contact and target an opponent with
the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

appsfan
December 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My initial reaction was the hit was helmet to helmet but the replay showed clearly that it was not and was a good hit. My second reaction was where was the unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting? Either way that play deserved the #1 listing.

Rekdiver
December 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
THAT was a smack....

mlbowl
December 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My initial reaction was the hit was helmet to helmet but the replay showed clearly that it was not and was a good hit. My second reaction was where was the unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting? Either way that play deserved the #1 listing.

Not sure we watched the same game...I didn't catch the taunting partxcoolx

THE FRANCHISE
December 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Not sure we watched the same game...I didn't catch the taunting partxcoolx

the 'taunting' was no worse than anything else i have seen

mtbigdog
December 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
The nice thing about the whole episode was he walked off the field with a standing ovation of 25,000 montana fans. App state was one tough customer !

WVAPPmountaineer
December 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Here's the play on Sports center. Someone posted this over on Egriz. Seems like every week Thompson destroys some poor receiver or tight end like this. Hell of a hitter for a small DB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQUF70PT4c

Great hit and clean however he should have been flagged for taunting when he stood over Cline and ran his mouth and made some motions - I have seen a lot less called unsportsmanship this season ----

Your guys are all hard hitters - I think that was the most surprising to me (we never get to see you guys play) - I knew Reynolds was very good from watching the playoffs last year and I knew Mariani could make big plays but your defense was better than I expected - Pulling for the Griz to win it all ----

aust42
December 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
That was a fantastic game to watch on TV and that was one of the greatest hits I have ever seen. I wonder what the ratings were? It was the only football game after the Army/Navy game.

Vidav
December 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Initiating Contact/Targeting an Opponent
ARTICLE 3. a. No player shall initiate contact and target an opponent with
the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

He hit him with his shoulder. The announcers even confirmed it during the game, it was a clean hit.

appnut
December 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
The hit was with the head and he taunted Cline, both are personal fouls.

HLNgriz
December 13th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Cline was a beast last night. Wow what a great WR, kinda like a Girz WR, tough, great hands, and finds the holes in the D. I was at the game and knew I was going to be impressed with AE and was. I lost count at how many perfect throws were made with a Griz breathing down his neck. But I was really impressed with Cline.

GreatAppSt
December 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
He hit him with his shoulder. The announcers even confirmed it during the game, it was a clean hit.Announcers are a far cry from being the final say so.xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
December 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The hit was with the head and he taunted Cline, both are personal fouls.

Its football, not a seven on seven drill, people are gonna get hit. Clean all the way.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Its football, not a seven on seven drill, people are gonna get hit. Clean all the way.

It was a solid clean hit not head on head as I originally thought before they showed the replay - however the Griz player absolutely taunted - go back and watch it - he even has one of his own players pulling him away ----

Vidav
December 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Announcers are a far cry from being the final say so.xthumbsupx

I agree, I just meant they explained it during the game that from one angle it looked bad but that it was clean. Obviously they can be wrong, however the officials agreed with them.

BDKJMU
December 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM

While it was certainly a great game and an incredible nail-biter, I don't think you can go this far. With the number of drops and missed opportunities, I can't call it the best football played. Maybe the best to watch, but not the best played. With that said though, if App had made a play in the endzone to send it into OT, I might have been able to look past the rest of the drops

I agree. It was a GREAT game, but absolutely retarded to call it the best college game ever played at any level. There have been thousands of great college games played at all levels over the decades, many of them Div II, II, and I-AA that were never televised. For example just off the top of my head:

-84' Orange Bowl- #4 Miami 31, #1 Nebraska 30
-Boise State-Oklahoma multi OT Fiesta Bowl 07 season.
-UR-ASU was great last week.
-UR-UD had a 5 overtime thriller in 07'.
-JMU @ UR last season: UR drives and scores to go up 31-23 with 3:21 left. JMU drives to score with 59 seconds left, then barely makes the 2 point conversion to tie it. JMU holds UR, UR punts, and McGee returns the punt for a TD on the last play of the game. There were a lot of people on here calling it one of the greatest games they had ever seen.

-Or the 100 games listed here in "Heart Stoppers and Hail Marys, of 100 of the greatest finishes from Div.I-A to Div. III"
http://www.nd.edu/~tmandell/finishestable.html

-There have been 11 NC games that have been decided by a TD or less.

Every program that has been a powerhouse at one time or another has had games that rank right up with yesterdays, both in victory and defeat:
-ASU has had a couple of miracles on the mountain (one against JMU xbawlingx).
-JMU @ Furman qtrfinal in 04' was a phenomenal game in 04' with a phenomenal finish (84 yard JMU drive in the last 4 min to score on 4th and goal from the one with 28 seconds left to win 14-13).
-JMU @ YSU 1st round 06' YSU drove 88 yds in the last 4:41 to score with 1:12 left and then stopped JMU after JMU drove into YSU territory in the 38-35 YSU win.xbawlingx

Then there are these:
-1946 Army/Notre Dame
-1966 Notre Dame/Michigan State
-1967 USC/UCLA
-1969 Texas/Ark
-1971 Nebraska/Oklahoma
-1987 Fiesta Bowl Miami/Penn State
-1993 Fl State/Notre Dame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Century_%28college_football%29

I could go on and on, as I'm sure other people could also.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree. It was a GREAT game, but absolutely retarded to call it the best college game ever played at any level. There have been thousands of great college games played at all levels over the decades, many of them Div II, II, and I-AA that were never televised. For example just off the top of my head:

-JMU @ UR last season: UR drives and scores to go up 31-23 with 3:21 left. JMU drives to score with 59 seconds left, then barely makes the 2 point conversion to tie it. JMU holds UR, UR punts, and McGee returns the punt for a TD on the last play of the game. There were a lot of people on here calling it one of the greatest games they had ever seen.

-Or the 100 games listed here in "Heart Stoppers and Hail Marys, of 100 of the greatest finishes from Div.I-A to Div. III"
http://www.nd.edu/~tmandell/finishestable.html

-There have been 11 NC games that have been decided by a TD or less.

Every program that has been a powerhouse at one time or another has had games that rank right up with yesterdays, both in victory and defeat:
-ASU has had a couple of miracles on the mountain (one against JMU xbawlingx).
-JMU @ Furman qtrfinal in 04' was a phenomenal game in 04' with a phenomenal finish (84 yard JMU drive in the last 4 min to score on 4th and goal from the one with 28 seconds left to win 14-13).
-JMU @ YSU 1st round 06' YSU drove 88 yds in the last 4:41 to score with 1:12 left and then stopped JMU after JMU drove into YSU territory in the 38-35 YSU win.xbawlingx

Then there are these:
-1946 Army, Notre Dame
-1946 Army/Notre Dame
-1966 Notre Dame/Michigan State
-1967 USC/UCLA
-1969 Texas/Ark
-1971 Nebraska/Oklahoma
-1987 Fiesta Bowl Miami/Penn State
-1993 Fl State/Notre Dame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Century_%28college_football%29

Sure put a lot of homework into that! I agree though. It was one of the best this year and was one of the best in FCS history, but you can't pick a single game as the best.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM
It was a solid clean hit not head on head as I originally thought before they showed the replay - however the Griz player absolutely taunted - go back and watch it - he even has one of his own players pulling him away ----

I don't like the taunting by any player, it was certainly borderline if not a foul. I don't think that is how the team plays and in some ways you can't blame a guy for being excited for blowing someone up like that. I just think he should have done it away from Cline. Lord knows Cline needed all the space he could get to get some air in him after that one. Tough as nails to get up and play like he did after that one. I'd still be on the ground xnodx xpeacex

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM

I agree that he went a little too far. I'm glad his teammates helped calm him down. Can't blame him though, defensive players dream about a hit like that and he got it. I would use the old saying: "Act like you've been there before" but I don't think many players ever have. Cline was flatbacked so hard he landed on his head!

Green26
December 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM

There was not enough to call taunting, in my view. Thompson did almost nothing. It occurred in about 1.5 seconds. He was out-of-bounds on the UM sideline. He was near but not standing over the down player.

batrack
December 14th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Here is another hit that Keith Thompson made in the SDSU game. Keep in mind that the guy he is hitting outweighs him by 80 pounds (255). The clip is at the 3:40 mark.

jonmac
December 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM
For those that say the hit was clean please watch again, closely this time. It is clear to me that the top of his head hits Cline right in the chest below the chin. He even ducked his head right before contact. He's fortunate he didn't go down with a neck injury. It was not a good form tackle and could have been called a penalty. It was definitely an amazing hit but it if had been the other way around you Montana fans would be saying the same thing that we App fans are saying.

Great game Griz, beat Villanova.

appnut
December 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM
The kid led with the crown of his hat. Cline was caught in a neutral position where nothing was touching the ground enough to give him some defense against the blow. A blow with the crown of the head to a player in a defenseless position is a personal foul. The taunting over Cline produced the second personal foul of the sequence. Neither player chose to be in that position however the Montana kid had the option to make an adjustment. There is no other way to view the hit. It is what it is.

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Without review which they won't do with a hit, I thought it was a great hit. If the tables had been reversed we would have thought it was a good hit. My sense of Montana players is that they play hard and clean. Matt Cline is the toughest player I've seen.

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Questionable hit, but its football.. It happens..

Thing that irritated me was the taunting by players on the sideline over a guy obviously in pain.. that was extremely classless and should have been a penalty..

It wasn't and the better team won!

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Did some of you guys even play football? You are taught to hit the ball carrier between the chest and chin with your helmet then snap your head up right under his chin strap.

It's called a "stick".

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Did some of you guys even play football? You are taught to hit the ball carrier between the chest and chin with your helmet then snap your head up right under his chin strap.

It's called a "stick".

Yes, played and coached - it was a hard hit - I wouldn't have flagged him for the hit - I'm still awaiting some of you knowledgeable Griz fans to address the taunting ----

appnut
December 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
You were taught "put your face mask between the runners numbers and his chinstrap. The kid led the blow with the crown of his helmet. Sorry but it is what it is.

Phrebert
December 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yes, played and coached - it was a hard hit - I wouldn't have flagged him for the hit - I'm still awaiting some of you knowledgeable Griz fans to address the taunting ----

Actually he wasn't taunting he was comparing Grade Point Averages.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
For my first post, I agree he started to get in his face (it was probably the best hit he has ever made). However, the moment he saw that he was hurt he WENT AWAY!

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
For my first post, I agree he started to get in his face (it was probably the best hit he has ever made). However, the moment he saw that he was hurt he WENT AWAY!

It wasn't just the player who laid the hit.. it was the players on the sidelines! There isn't a penalty for that, but App gets an excessive celebration penalty for nothing? Not saying the refs won or lost the game, but it was pretty ridiculous they call something petty like the celebration, but then don't call when players are taunting an injured player..

appnut
December 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
It was a GREAT HIT. It was also a personal foul and illegal contact.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It wasn't just the player who laid the hit.. it was the players on the sidelines! There isn't a penalty for that, but App gets an excessive celebration penalty for nothing? Not saying the refs won or lost the game, but it was pretty ridiculous they call something petty like the celebration, but then don't call when players are taunting an injured player..

I saw everything you did. However, play your replay just a little longer. Once people noticed he was not getting up right away, they started to show there concern. Some Montana players went over to him, a Montana coach (or trainer) took a knee next to him to check him out. Yeah, man I agree some people were excited and cheering a good play. IT WAS A GOOD PLAY. However the ones that continue to celebrate were not looking at the receiver. They were looking at the other players or into the stands.

It is human nature to observe others reactions around you to see what your appropriate response to an event should be (for evidence google Kitty Genovese Murder or Stanley Milgram). Anyway, none of the players or coaches were excited that they hurt the player.

Old Cat Fan
December 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
For those that say the hit was clean please watch again, closely this time. It is clear to me that the top of his head hits Cline right in the chest below the chin. He even ducked his head right before contact. He's fortunate he didn't go down with a neck injury. It was not a good form tackle and could have been called a penalty. It was definitely an amazing hit but it if had been the other way around you Montana fans would be saying the same thing that we App fans are saying.

Great game Griz, beat Villanova.

At last someone else saw the hit exactly how it was, JonMac I don't know what part of the rules everyone that is saying this was a clean hit doesn't understand. If you lead with the crown of your helmet it is spearing. The rule is to prevent spinal injuries. I played this play over and over again even freeze framing and the Montana player had his facemask facing down towards the field before the hit.
and drove the crown of his helmet in the App player chest.
This article explains the rule a little better
http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm1310/bbspearing.htm

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I saw everything you did. However, play your replay just a little longer. Once people noticed he was not getting up right away, they started to show there concern. Some Montana players went over to him, a Montana coach (or trainer) took a knee next to him to check him out. Yeah, man I agree some people were excited and cheering a good play. IT WAS A GOOD PLAY. However the ones that continue to celebrate were not looking at the receiver. They were looking at the other players or into the stands.

It is human nature to observe others reactions around you to see what your appropriate response to an event should be (for evidence google Kitty Genovese Murder or Stanley Milgram). Anyway, none of the players or coaches were excited that they hurt the player.

Of course, if it would have happened to a Griz player, the nation would be against App saying it was classless..

I've watched, and re-watched the dvr.. yes, the coach/trainer came over -- thats expected.. but the players continued taunting him even after seeing him lay there and taking his helmet off..

we can agree to disagree, i guess

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Geeze, after meeting so many good App. State fans at the game I never thought there would be so many cry babies. Waa! You lost live with it. xeyebrowxxrulesxxcoffeex

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Of course, if it would have happened to a Griz player, the nation would be against App saying it was classless..

I've watched, and re-watched the dvr.. yes, the coach/trainer came over -- thats expected.. but the players continued taunting him even after seeing him lay there and taking his helmet off..

we can agree to disagree, i guess

Sure we can agree to disagree, I have nothing but respect for APP State (not APPY to the rest of Griz nation). I am hoping to go to the game in Boone (can not wait). I am currently in Ohio trying to earn my PhD, so I think I will be able to make it down for the game.

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I hope the respect continues but we are hearing from the App. State board and here that.....

It was a dirty illegal hit.
WR's cost the game.
The kicker lost the game.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Geeze, it's football. You can switch to Soccer and none of us will blame you.xsmiley_wix

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I hope the respect continues but we are hearing from the App. State board and here that.....

WR's cost the game.

Geeze, it's football. You can switch to Soccer and none of us will blame you.xsmiley_wix

The talk on the APP board that really T's me off is about our easy scheduling.

I understand that Appalachian State played ECU this year. Here is a question: What was ECU thinking? ECU could have easily lost that game. My only thought is that Appalachian State was bought cheap.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM

WR's cost the game.

Personally I go after any APP "fan" who tries to place blame on any specific player/s - our refs have sucked all year and we won 11 in a row so that's not an excuse - Montana won the game - no excuses from me - However I have yet to have a knowledgeable Montana fan address the taunting - Did it change the game - NO - man-up and admit the kid overdid it ----

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've heard that now you had better come in with a $750,000 offer or forget getting Montana.

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Personally I go after any APP "fan" who tries to place blame on any specific player/s - our refs have sucked all year and we won 11 in a row so that's not an excuse - Montana won the game - no excuses from me - However I have yet to have a knowledgeable Montana fan address the taunting - Did it change the game - NO - man-up and admit the kid overdid it ----

Actually I would conceed that you should have gotten 15 yards for excess celebration. But that was after the play. Watch the replay. Cline catches the ball and takes two steps turns the corner and POW! It was clearly a FUMBLE. We were robbed, so it should have been our ball but marched back for celebration. Any more arguments on this subject?

We were the team wronged on this play. You guys really got away with one.

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Okay it may have been an illegal hit.........but I don't think it was a dirty hit.....The refs didn't think so and I don't think it had any bearing on the outcome of the game any more that the stupid penalities we got flagged for or the dropped balls. It was a slobber knocker of a hit and I'm glad Matt is okay. Please, I do not want to hear any excuses for us losing that game. I'm ready for next year!

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I've heard that now you had better come in with a $750,000 offer or forget getting Montana.

I know if I were the AD at Boise St., Idaho, WSU, UW, Oregon, or Oregon State I would say, "Only $750,000 dollars for a possible loss to an FCS team and possibly ruining a chance to play in a BCS bowl... Where do I sign up"? xsmiley_wix

srgrizizen
December 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I doubt if 1% of refs in the country would flag the hit. Taunting might be another issue, but other than missing an obvious fumble (albeit one that had no effect on the outcome), these refs were great. Their ball spots were perfect (damn it!), and they clearly didn't want to get into tacky ambiguous calls like "taunting." Anyone trying to make an issue of sportsmanship by either team wasn't watching the game and certainly not reading 99% of what's been on the message boards.

BarefootApp
December 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Game over. Good luck to the Griz in Chatty.

HiHiYikas
December 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The talk on the APP board that really T's me off is about our easy scheduling.

I understand that Appalachian State played ECU this year. Here is a question: What was ECU thinking? ECU could have easily lost that game. My only thought is that Appalachian State was bought cheap.
Folks aren't as frustrated about the ECU game as the McNeese game.

Montana's schedule was easier than ASU's this year. It almost always is. Don't get so worked up about it. Clearly you guys are doing something right.

And there are a number of Mountaineer Message Board posters who admire that about the Griz. It's not a unanimous sentiment, but you're still playing and we're not, so it's hard not to acknowledge that the Griz did something right.

The question for us is - why schedule a top-tier FCS team like McNeese as an OOC game?

Replace that game with, say, Jacksonville or even a D-II, and leave everything else the same. ASU gets a #1 or #2 seed. We get to play at home all the way to Chattanooga. We play lower ranked teams in the first two rounds and host in the third. We make money from 2 more home games. Our athletes don't have to travel. Our fans don't have to pay $1,000 each to get to the semifinal game. We don't have to play in a winter storm.

It's pretty typical season-ending second guessing on the part of ASU fans.

I don't necessarily agree with the ASU fans who are now suggesting we schedule in such a way to make a top seed more likely. But they make a good point.

In a couple of years, when the Griz come to Boone. If a narrow Montana loss to ASU is the game that keeps you guys from hosting a second or third-round playoff game, and your good team makes an early exit, you'll have some second-guessers, too.

grizpsych
December 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Folks aren't as frustrated about the ECU game as the McNeese game.

Montana's schedule was easier than ASU's this year. It almost always is. Don't get so worked up about it. Clearly you guys are doing something right.

And there are a number of Mountaineer Message Board posters who admire that about the Griz. It's not a unanimous sentiment, but you're still playing and we're not, so it's hard not to acknowledge that the Griz did something right.

The question for us is - why schedule a top-tier FCS team like McNeese as an OOC game?

Replace that game with, say, Jacksonville or even a D-II, and leave everything else the same. ASU gets a #1 or #2 seed. We get to play at home all the way to Chattanooga. We play lower ranked teams in the first two rounds and host in the third. We make money from 2 more home games. Our athletes don't have to travel. Our fans don't have to pay $1,000 each to get to the semifinal game. We don't have to play in a winter storm.

It's pretty typical season-ending second guessing on the part of ASU fans.

I don't necessarily agree with the ASU fans who are now suggesting we schedule in such a way to make a top seed more likely. But they make a good point.

In a couple of years, when the Griz come to Boone. If a narrow Montana loss to ASU is the game that keeps you guys from hosting a second or third-round playoff game, and your good team makes an early exit, you'll have some second-guessers, too.

A couple of questions...

Was the McNeese game a home game for Appalachian St.?
If so, then I could see scheduling this for SOS and for money.

Would your fans show up in the same numbers for a DII or bad FCS team?
This is an honest question, Montana's attendance for Western State was
down, therefore the missed out on some money that would have been
generated with a better opponent.

If McNeese was an away game, then the only benefit was SOS, and only if you win (pretty dumb decision, especially if this was not part of some kind of home and home deal).

HiHiYikas
December 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
A couple of questions...

Was the McNeese game a home game for Appalachian St.?
If so, then I could see scheduling this for SOS and for money.

Would your fans show up in the same numbers for a DII or bad FCS team?
This is an honest question, Montana's attendance for Western State was
down, therefore the missed out on some money that would have been
generated with a better opponent.

If McNeese was an away game, then the only benefit was SOS, and only if you win (pretty dumb decision, especially if this was not part of some kind of home and home deal).
McNeese was the first game in a home-and-home. We go there one of these seasons. Not next year, I don't think - maybe in 2011?

Our attendance might have been a little down if we'd played a D-II or a lower-ranked FCS. But it's also our first home game, and one of the few games a season when good weather is highly likely. This season, it was also the first game in the newly-renovated stadium.

Some of the D-II teams we've scheduled lately are local schools. The game against D-II Lenoir-Rhyne University was extremely well-attended, because (1) ASU had beaten Michigan the week before, (2) ASU and Lenoir-Rhyne were big rivals back in the 60's, before the programs went in different directions, and (3) ASU and Lenoir-Rhyne are only about 40 miles down the road from one another.

So our recent history suggests that scheduling a lower-ranked FCS or D-II team wouldn't hurt attendance too much.

And if there's a drop in attendance, the prospect of hosting in the quarter's and semi's should make up for it.

Gonzo
December 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
App scheduled Mcneese, the Griz scheduled Cal Poly, who was the preseason favorite in the Great West, It isn't Montana's fault that Poly didn't live up to the expectations this year

HiHiYikas
December 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
App scheduled Mcneese, the Griz scheduled Cal Poly, who was the preseason favorite in the Great West, It isn't Montana's fault that Poly didn't live up to the expectations this year
There you go...that's why I don't 100% agree with the idea that you can "schedule your way into the playoffs." Teams that are supposed to be strong sometimes aren't. Teams that are supposed to be weak sometimes play great football. The best teams in the land sometimes don't play like it.

It's all second-guessing, after the fact. Everybody's a great play-caller and decision-maker from that viewpoint.

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Big difference is App scheduled ECU, McNeese, and NCCU..

McNeese and Cal Poly are a wash..
NCCU, although low on the FCS totem pole, still quite a bit better than Western State..
ECU over UC Davis isn't even close...

Gonzo
December 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
So why do you choose to compare NCCU with Western State, Fact is we both scheduled a good FCS team and mediocre FCS team the only difference is App chose to go with an FBS game and Montana chose a D2 for another home game and it seemed to work out pretty well for us didn't it

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
So why do you choose to compare NCCU with Western State, Fact is we both scheduled a good FCS team and mediocre FCS team the only difference is App chose to go with an FBS game and Montana chose a D2 for another home game and it seemed to work out pretty well for us didn't it

Not saying it didn't work well.. You can switch any one of those, and App will come out on top in comparing OOC strength..

All I was saying is the poster who compared Cal Poly and McNeese.. Dont get the panties in a wad.

Grizzlies won -- end of story

IMO though, if App did not have the schedule we had, we would not have even made it to the Semis... Those 2 tough losses pointed out some weaknesses we had, we fixed them, and that helped us win games down the road

BearIt
December 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
App state and a lot of people on this board make a big deal about our scheduling, but really the only thing we did different was schedule Western State instead of scheduling an FBS school.

We scheduled UC Davis and Cal Poly for our other games. The same Cal Poly that last year took it to Wisconson and would have beat them (and Montana) if they had a kicker. We can't predict what the teams will be when the schedule was made.

Who knows maybe the FCS world will be saying the same thing about our schedule in a couple of years when we play App state again. "Look at Montana always scheduling cup cakes."

Plus you guys do realize that you are Florida's Cupcake right? They are getting ripped on for scheduling you. You can bring up the Michigan thing, but there is always a slim chance you will win. Even the DII teams knock off the big boys in FCS occasionally (NDSU).

I personally would like to see the most competative games being played. That does not include going to Oregon or Iowa and it does not include Western state. To me playing top FBS and DII is the same. I come away with nothing as a fan. I did enjoy the Cal Poly and UC Davis game though.

Edit: One more point if I have my choice of a final score of 45-7 or 7-45 Guess which one I prefer...

HiHiYikas
December 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Comparatively speaking, yes. Montana's still playing and ASU isn't. But Montana is a program that wins fewer than 30% of road playoff games. Some would suggest that scheduling FBS teams (which are always road games) help a team play stronger on the road. It's not an immutable law, but history suggests there's a little something to it.

Then again, all scheduling talk is incapable of predicting how good a team is, or how they'll match up in the title game. But it isn't Friday and there's nothing on the scoreboard yet, so you can only look at the numbers that are there.

Both ASU and Montana have learned that being undefeated doesn't mean you're the best in the field of 16. And it's not a fun lesson to learn.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
App state and a lot of people on this board make a big deal about our scheduling, but really the only thing we did different was schedule Western State instead of scheduling an FBS school.

We scheduled UC Davis and Cal Poly for our other games. The same Cal Poly that last year took it to Wisconson and would have beat them (and Montana) if they had a kicker. We can't predict what the teams will be when the schedule was made.

Who knows maybe the FCS world will be saying the same thing about our schedule in a couple of years when we play App state again. "Look at Montana always scheduling cup cakes."

Plus you guys do realize that you are Florida's Cupcake right? They are getting ripped on for scheduling you. You can bring up the Michigan thing, but there is always a slim chance you will win. Even the DII teams knock off the big boys in FCS occasionally (NDSU).

I personally would like to see the most competative games being played. That does not include going to Oregon or Iowa and it does not include Western state. To me playing top FBS and DII is the same. I come away with nothing as a fan. I did enjoy the Cal Poly and UC Davis game though.

Edit: One more point if I have my choice of a final score of 45-7 or 7-45 Guess which one I prefer...

If I'm not mistaken - a win over a D-II team DOES NOT COUNT toward the required number of wins to be playoff eligible ----

BearIt
December 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken - a win over a D-II team DOES NOT COUNT toward the required number of wins to be playoff eligible ----

You are correct and technically a loss to an FBS doesn't count against you, but we heard statements on this board to the effect of:

" That (fill in the FBS team name) really isn't that good, I expected a better performance."

"I really expected App to beat ECU."

I guarantee that these type of thoughts also resulted in those teams losing some votes in the polls.

It seems the FCS world has suddenly developed an expectation that we should win against the lower tier FBS programs. The problem is if you look at the results on the field, that expectation is ungrounded. This expectation can sway voters when your team loses, which they will most of the time.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
You are correct and technically a loss to an FBS doesn't count against you, but we heard statements on this board to the effect of:

" That (fill in the FBS team name) really isn't that good, I expected a better performance."

"I really expected App to beat ECU."

I guarantee that these type of thoughts also resulted in those teams losing some votes in the polls.

It seems the FCS world has suddenly developed an expectation that we should win against the lower tier FBS programs. The problem is if you look at the results on the field, that expectation is ungrounded. This expectation can sway voters when your team loses, which they will most of the time.

Well I do think a FBS loss can count against you - if you guys play the same schedule and go undefeated and we only lose to ECU then I think Montana is still the #1 seed and Villanova is the #2 - so it really wouldn't have mattered as APP would have still played the semis away - I am just sorry we couldn't have met in Chatty - the two top programs with without question the two top fan bases playing for the NC - but not this year - Please beat Nova, we are all sick of hearing about the CAA ----

HiHiYikas
December 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
If the FBS teams really are lower tier, I don't think the expectation is unreasonable. Several playoff teams beat FBS opponents this season. Honest-to-goodness higher-tier FCS vs. lower-tier FBS games don't happen often, though.

As it turns out, ECU isn't quite lower tier. They won their conference. It isn't the SEC, but they did win it.

And that was only a 5-point loss for ASU, without Armanti Edwards in the game. Montana won by 7 against an ASU team with Armanti Edwards. How much more would Montana have beaten ASU by if #14 didn't take a snap?

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I've read through what has been added today and wanted to add a few things.

1. To the App fans compaining about the hit. Sorry, but we don't like to play flag football up here. Its football, people will get hit and Cline got LEVELED on a CLEAN hit.

2. For anybody saying if the tables were turned that we would be going nuts. False. Last year against Texas State, Dan Beaudin was crushed trying to make a tackle after an interception. A griz fan posed the question on egriz of if it was clean or not. Almost every griz fan agreed that it was a clean hit. It was a very similar hit in that Beaudin couldn't see it coming.

3. All of this schedule stuff. Don't really understand what is being said here. Someboday want to help me out...

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
3. All of this schedule stuff. Don't really understand what is being said here. Someboday want to help me out...

It sounds like some of the App fans on their board are wishing they had scheduled an easier OOC in order to better lock-up a top 2 seed. Would have been tough this year in any case because FCS was very top heavy.

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
2. For anybody saying if the tables were turned that we would be going nuts. False. Last year against Texas State, Dan Beaudin was crushed trying to make a tackle after an interception. A griz fan posed the question on egriz of if it was clean or not. Almost every griz fan agreed that it was a clean hit. It was a very similar hit in that Beaudin couldn't see it coming.

I agree it was a clean hit.. no problems with the hit at all..

BUT, the taunting over an obviously injured player was uncalled for.. and the ref was standing right there..

But then we get an excessive celebration for doing the same exact thing (at least on tv) that Montana did when they scored a TD?

Again, not saying the refs won or lost the game, but the no unsportsmanlike call was ridiculous -- for the taunting; not the hit

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I agree it was a clean hit.. no problems with the hit at all..

BUT, the taunting over an obviously injured player was uncalled for.. and the ref was standing right there..

But then we get an excessive celebration for doing the same exact thing (at least on tv) that Montana did when they scored a TD?

Again, not saying the refs won or lost the game, but the no unsportsmanlike call was ridiculous -- for the taunting; not the hit

I can agree with that. I was surprised he didn't get a flag on the play. That being said, it looked like a fumble to me as well. The unsportsmanlike would have been a dead ball penalty so we would have had the ball fifteen yards back.

mtmike
December 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
To all you insane stength of schedule people out there, you've forgotten about how much travel we do in a year. Did I hear correctly that this was only AE's third plane trip of his playing career? Our players had three plane trips this season already without counting the trip to Chatty. On one of those trips we fly into Phoenix and then take a 2 hour bus trip to play at 7000 feet at Flagstaff, AZ. The travel takes a toll on the players, sure we're not playing Florida when we get there, but when I read about what an inconvenience it is for some of these teams to take a 3 hour bus ride to a game, I just have to laugh.

Crackgina
December 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
No one should taunt a player that is down and it was rectified fairly quickly by our other players. Lets remember these are kids. Young kids and most of them on the sideline never see much action. It was an exciting play and they responded like most kids would. However, it looked bad and I am sure those involved are sorry for that part of it now. Lets just drop it. We have two great programs with classy fans and we can easily hate the CAA if we need to be angry. JMU's fans last year pelted us in the stands and cussed at us before, during and after the game. Thats the kind of behavior we should be complaining about. I would like to have one App fan tell me that Cline did NOT fumble on that play. That missed call was terrible. The App players on the sideline all agreed with me that it was a fumble. Anyone else see it differently?

Grrrrriz
December 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If the FBS teams really are lower tier, I don't think the expectation is unreasonable. Several playoff teams beat FBS opponents this season. Honest-to-goodness higher-tier FCS vs. lower-tier FBS games don't happen often, though.

As it turns out, ECU isn't quite lower tier. They won their conference. It isn't the SEC, but they did win it.

And that was only a 5-point loss for ASU, without Armanti Edwards in the game. Montana won by 7 against an ASU team with Armanti Edwards. How much more would Montana have beaten ASU by if #14 didn't take a snap?

I agree, AE is incredible, he is one of those rare players that can essentially take an entire game on his back.

UNH Fanboi
December 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I agree that he went a little too far. I'm glad his teammates helped calm him down. Can't blame him though, defensive players dream about a hit like that and he got it. I would use the old saying: "Act like you've been there before" but I don't think many players ever have. Cline was flatbacked so hard he landed on his head!

It always pisses me off when defensive players act like they're tough **** and just won the Super Bowl after a huge hit against a completely defenseless QB or WR. It's really easy to **** up someone who's jumping in the air, looking in the other direction and concentrating on trying to catch a football. It's really nothing to be that proud of. If you level a RB who's running straight at you at full speed (like this classic Steve Atwater hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPxzQBIafo), now that's something to be proud of.

mtmike
December 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Don't try to tell me that guy had no idea he was getting hit, he was running up the field with the ball when he got leveled.

AppIAA
December 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Don't try to tell me that guy had no idea he was getting hit, he was running up the field with the ball when he got leveled.

Look again my friend.. he might have been running, but he had not looked downfield yet..

Hard to call that a fumble too.. it could go either way...

Now the Brian Quick "fumble" -- thats a different story

grizchamp
December 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
To all you insane stength of schedule people out there, you've forgotten about how much travel we do in a year. Did I hear correctly that this was only AE's third plane trip of his playing career? Our players had three plane trips this season already without counting the trip to Chatty. On one of those trips we fly into Phoenix and then take a 2 hour bus trip to play at 7000 feet at Flagstaff, AZ. The travel takes a toll on the players, sure we're not playing Florida when we get there, but when I read about what an inconvenience it is for some of these teams to take a 3 hour bus ride to a game, I just have to laugh.

No we don't. In fact the flight was chartered from allegiant and was direct into flagstaff on the way down. On the way back the charter had to stop in Vegas to refuel as the shorter runway in Flagstaff didn't allow a plane to carry a full load of fuel and still get of the ground.

I agree though that travel can take a toll on a team.

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Cline takes two clear steps before he's hit and the ball is secure from the time he catches it.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I can agree with that. I was surprised he didn't get a flag on the play. That being said, it looked like a fumble to me as well. The unsportsmanlike would have been a dead ball penalty so we would have had the ball fifteen yards back.

I really wanted to ask you about the throwback unis - when were they last worn and when did UM go to the Maroon and Gray? ----

WVAPPmountaineer
December 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
No we don't. In fact the flight was chartered from allegiant and was direct into flagstaff on the way down. On the way back the charter had to stop in Vegas to refuel as the shorter runway in Flagstaff didn't allow a plane to carry a full load of fuel and still get of the ground.

I agree though that travel can take a toll on a team.

I agree that travel can take a toll on any team - however most all away games for APP are much longer than an hour or two - our guys have 10, 12 and 14 hour round trip bus trips - not sure your plane and a 2 hour bus is all that bad ----

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM

I really wanted to ask you about the throwback unis - when were they last worn and when did UM go to the Maroon and Gray? ----

The last year they wore them was 1995 when they won their first national title. They switched to the maroon and silver for the 1996-1997 athletic seasons because the schools spirit colors have always been maroon and silver. I think they switched the colors to copper and "gold" in the mid sixties when Jack Swarthout became coach. He brought in an offense similar to Texas' and wanted similar colors as well. I like the new colors alot more, but those old colors have alot of great memories attached to them. The Cats had zero chance last year when we ran out of the tunnel in them!

GolfingGriz
December 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
It always pisses me off when defensive players act like they're tough **** and just won the Super Bowl after a huge hit against a completely defenseless QB or WR. It's really easy to **** up someone who's jumping in the air, looking in the other direction and concentrating on trying to catch a football. It's really nothing to be that proud of. If you level a RB who's running straight at you at full speed (like this classic Steve Atwater hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPxzQBIafo), now that's something to be proud of.

Almost all big hits are when someone isn't looking. If they were they would they would likely try to avoid serious contact or at least shrug a shoulder.

dsbsh
December 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM

-84' Orange Bowl- #4 Miami 31, #1 Nebraska 30

The greatest game I've ever seen, and one of the most exciting at any level, was the D2 national championship in '99. Northwest Missouri State trailed Carson-Newman 30-14 after 3 quarters, but outscored them 30-14 in the 4th, including a 70 yard, 30 second drive & 2 pt. conversion to tie in the final seconds. The game then went 4 overtimes before the Bearcats won 58-52. I mention this in part because the 'Cats won their 3rd D2 title Saturday, which softened the blow of my Tribe losing Friday night. Also, there was an awesome block in that game, which also made the ESPN top plays list... #3, I think.

UNH Fanboi
December 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Almost all big hits are when someone isn't looking. If they were they would they would likely try to avoid serious contact or at least shrug a shoulder.

I understand that. My point is that's its pretty cowardly to taunt someone for taking a big hit that they had essentially no way to avoid.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Does anyone else just not understand the love of big hits? I mean, it's not like your team gains field position by making a big hit instead of a regular one.

PhoenixPhan
December 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Does anyone else just not understand the love of big hits? I mean, it's not like your team gains field position by making a big hit instead of a regular one.

Sometimes you get a fumble out of it or force a pass to be incomplete. It also fires up your team and lets your opponent know that you mean business. Who would you be more scared of--the guy that leveled you to the turf, or one who just ran up and politely nudged you out of bounds?

uofmman1122
December 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
A defender's job is to make sure the receiver doesn't catch the ball.

There was no way in hell Matt Cline was going to hang on to that.

Keith Thompson was just doing his job.

As for the taunting, everyone was fired up, got happy, and then left the guy alone. Thompson, himself, left Cline after only 2 seconds, and only one sideline guy even made a gesture at Cline. The rest of the guys around him (Griz players) were just checking to see if he was okay.

Had anyone lingered over Cline and made it a bigger deal, I think it would have warranted a flag, but from what I saw, there wasn't any excessive taunting. Switch the jerseys, and I'd still say the same thing. xpeacex

As for big hits in general, who wouldn't be a fan of them? So long as they're clean, they have a huge impact on the hitter's team. You knock the ***** out of a guy, and you basically say to him, your players, his players, and everyone else, "I just owned you, and made you look silly." Let the guys get pumped after the hit, too. Big hits can be huge momentum swings, like huge jukes for TDs, home runs, 3-pointers, etc.

WRs, Backs, and everyone else who's going across the middle or against someone in the defensive backfield know full well before they even get out of spring training that they're probably going to get jacked once or twice, so please don't act like they're completely innocent and defenseless.

Torgo
December 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM

It has a huge effect on pumping the players up. Same goes for big hits in hockey. When something like that happens you almost always see a swing of momentum in favor of the team making the hit.

And the added fact that big hits often jar the ball lose creating a fumble, or at the very least an incompletion.

McNeese75
December 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
uofmman1122

祖国のために! I am
アルティメット! A closet MSU
アトミック! Bobcat Fan
バッスターーーー!!! Go Cats Go !!!

xeekx :D xpeacex

84Griz
December 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
By the way. How can the ref right next to the play call it an incomplete pass when Cline had his back to the ref. If the ref can't see the ball how can he make the call????

AppIAA
December 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
By the way. How can the ref right next to the play call it an incomplete pass when Kline had his back to the ref. If the ref can't see the ball how can he make the call????

Same thing..

How can the ref right next to the play call it a fumble when Cline had his back to the ref. If the ref can't see the ball how can he make the call????

Doesn't matter.. game is over

84Griz
December 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Same thing..

How can the ref right next to the play call it a fumble when Cline had his back to the ref. If the ref can't see the ball how can he make the call????

Doesn't matter.. game is over

Point is he should not have made a call if he could not see it.

appnut
December 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The kid led with the crown of his hat. That is not legal contact. The hit was clean but illegal. i cannot for the life of me understand what is so confusing about that.???

mlbowl
December 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The kid led with the crown of his hat. That is not legal contact. The hit was clean but illegal. i cannot for the life of me understand what is so confusing about that.???

I guess he should've used his wonder twin powers to morph himself into a turtle...that way, at the point of contact, he could've tucked his head in his shellxrolleyesx...It was not helmet to helmet...was in no way dirty...these kind of hits happen all the time. LET IT GO!

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
The big hit on App State was the #1 Play of the Day. A nice plug for the FCS OH YEAH?!!?!?!? BLAKE ELDER'S CATCH ON HIS BACK AGAINST RICHMOND WAS ON COLLEGE FOOTBALL FINAL ON ESPN, SUCK IT@!@!@! LOL JK

AppIAA
December 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hey guys, this past Saturday I watched a really good football game. Not sure who the 2 teams playing were though.. something about Mountains and 2 teams having to play in similar climates though.

Anyway, it came down to a final drive with about 1:30 left in the game. And the visiting team's QB looked really good when conducting the drive. It came down to a final throw from the 3 yard line, and his receiver dropped it -- would have gone into overtime if he had caught it.

WHO GIVES A CRAP IF IT WAS AN ILLEGAL HIT, INCOMPLETE PASS, FUMBLE, ETC. THE GAME IS OVER!!!

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, this past Saturday I watched a really good football game. Not sure who the 2 teams playing were though.. something about Mountains and 2 teams having to play in similar climates though.

Anyway, it came down to a final drive with about 1:30 left in the game. And the visiting team's QB looked really good when conducting the drive. It came down to a final throw from the 3 yard line, and his receiver dropped it -- would have gone into overtime if he had caught it.

WHO GIVES A CRAP IF IT WAS AN ILLEGAL HIT, INCOMPLETE PASS, FUMBLE, ETC. THE GAME IS OVER!!!
i watched that game to, Grand Valley State and NW Missouri State right? xthumbsupx

HLNgriz
December 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
OH YEAH?!!?!?!? BLAKE ELDER'S CATCH ON HIS BACK AGAINST RICHMOND WAS ON COLLEGE FOOTBALL FINAL ON ESPN, SUCK IT@!@!@! LOL JK

That was a great catch but if I remember it was an even better throw under pressure by AE.

jonmac
December 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I guess he should've used his wonder twin powers to morph himself into a turtle...that way, at the point of contact, he could've tucked his head in his shellxrolleyesx...It was not helmet to helmet...was in no way dirty...these kind of hits happen all the time. LET IT GO!

No, he didn't need to pull his head back into his shell, but he sure should have kept it up. I hope you don't coach kids to tackle like that. Like I mentioned earlier, he's fortunate he didn't injure himself. Helmet to helmet is not the point, he led, head down, with the crown of his helmet. But for leading with the helmet it would have been a perfect form tackle and still a huge hit.

appnut
December 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Called Spearing.

3PeatNation
December 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
That was a great catch but if I remember it was an even better throw under pressure by AE. Yeah but College Football Final was doing 2009 recieving highlights so they kinda took AE out of the picture lol

Native
December 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
祖国のために!
アルティメット!
アトミック!
バッスターーーー

xeekx :D xpeacex

"Country for ultimate atomic Bassuta?!???!!!!" xconfusedx

GolfingGriz
December 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't get why App fans are so upset over this. How Thompson hit him the only player he is going to seriously injure is himself. He clearly avoided helmet to helmet, which is what App fans should be happy about. I'm sure Cline got the wind knocked out of him, but Thompson could have ended his year, maybe his career with a serious concussion...xoopsx

McNeese75
December 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
"Country for ultimate atomic Bassuta?!???!!!!" xconfusedx

xlolx Beats me, it was some kinda asian writing when I first copied it xconfusedx

WVAPPmountaineer
December 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I don't get why App fans are so upset over this. How Thompson hit him the only player he is going to seriously injure is himself. He clearly avoided helmet to helmet, which is what App fans should be happy about. I'm sure Cline got the wind knocked out of him, but Thompson could have ended his year, maybe his career with a serious concussion...xoopsx

I would say the main reason is there was no penalty - When APP gets penalized 135 yards and Montana 15, that is a big difference ----

uofmman1122
December 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
uofmman1122

祖国のために! I am
アルティメット! A closet MSU
アトミック! Bobcat Fan
バッスターーーー!!! Go Cats Go !!!

xeekx :D xpeacexお前やろう!!!You can insult my mother, my girlfriend, or my (unborn) children, but you NEVER call me a bobcat fan! xmadx

xlolx :p

xlolx Beats me, it was some kinda asian writing when I first copied it xconfusedx

"Country for ultimate atomic Bassuta?!???!!!!" xconfusedxA NEW WARRIOR HAS ENTERED THE RING!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/Zangief.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hate to bring up a dead post, but after all the talk last week about the big hit, I was looking for 21 Thompson in last nights game and didn't notice him on the field at all, did he play and is he usually a starter or sub ?