PDA

View Full Version : Review System

PhoenixPhan
December 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
The last drive by Nova really just cemented the fact that the FCS needs an official review system in place IMO. That overturned call, whether you agree with it or not, was a huge reason for their touchdown, and could ultimately affect who wins this game. Why is it that we have to wait until the semifinal games to see official reviews? It's obvious that sometimes the referees just miss things on the field, and reviews can decrease that margin of error.

Anyone else for an FCS requirement of reviews at least in the playoffs, and potentially in the regular season?

EKU05
December 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think most people would be "for it," but it's a matter of every FCS stadium equiping itself with the technology and filming every game from many different angles...basically television quality production everywhere all of the time. From a financial perspective that just isn't all that likely to happen I don't think.

Doing it for all playoff games might be more feasible.

Shellin
December 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM
The last drive by Nova really just cemented the fact that the FCS needs an official review system in place IMO. That overturned call, whether you agree with it or not, was a huge reason for their touchdown, and could ultimately affect who wins this game. Why is it that we have to wait until the semifinal games to see official reviews? It's obvious that sometimes the referees just miss things on the field, and reviews can decrease that margin of error.

Anyone else for an FCS requirement of reviews at least in the playoffs, and potentially in the regular season?

It would be nice, it's always better to get the calls right, but it can't happen. Too few games have good enough television coverage to make replay viable

PhoenixPhan
December 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Point taken about in regular season. But if it's going to be in the last 2 games of the championships, I feel like theyre needed throughout the rest of the playoffs.

HiHiYikas
December 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I am always against review in every situation. Calls should be made on the field. Bad calls are as acceptible a part of the game as bad snaps, bad kicks, and bad passes.

PhoenixMan
December 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM

I'm all for it PhoenixPhan. By the way, Hudgins foot was in bounds at URxnodx

Head Cat
December 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Get the calls right. Review worked great for both teams tonight.

Skjellyfetti
December 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I agree. I like video review and really wish we could have it all season.

Head Cat
December 12th, 2009, 02:37 AM

And Hudgins would have had a TD in the 2008 game against Richmond if review had been used. The game tape showed he caught that ball and it would have made it a 21-17 game.

appstate1998
December 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I hate replay. IMO if you are going to use it, you have to use it on every single play of the game or it's not fair. What if a half inch of a players foot was over the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped. Or a knee was down 2 inches before it was actually spotted. Did he celebrate 7 seconds or 8 seconds. Let the game be played on the field, not in the booth.

whoanellie
December 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Get the calls right. Review worked great for both teams tonight. most every review validated the calls on the field. replay official got a little bit in the way but they got the calls right. my opinion is that every playoff game should be televised at an ESPN level and reviews comensurate with that level of Championship coverage.

ngineer
December 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM
most every review validated the calls on the field. replay official got a little bit in the way but they got the calls right. my opinion is that every playoff game should be televised at an ESPN level and reviews comensurate with that level of Championship coverage.

Only a question of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $

xnodx

ASU_Fanatic
December 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I hate it

WMTribe90
December 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
All the reviews kill the momentum and flow of the game. Missed or blown calls even out of the course of a game more times than not. I'm only for it in limited situations, like the last two minutes of a game.

phoenixphanatic21
December 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
most every review validated the calls on the field. replay official got a little bit in the way but they got the calls right. my opinion is that every playoff game should be televised at an ESPN level and reviews comensurate with that level of Championship coverage.

I completely agree. I understand that not all schools can have replays, so having it during the regular season is more or less out of the question. But with all the TVs and technology that ESPN brings, we should be able to do it then. But hell, I'd like to see ESPN actually seem like they semi-care about these games.

Tribe07
December 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone else think there was not "indisputable video evidence" that the 'Nova WR got a foot in on that play down to the 6 yard line? I don't think his foot touched, and they spent a LONG time thinking about it before they overturned the call and ruled him in. 'Nova scored the winning TD on that drive.

TypicalTribe
December 12th, 2009, 10:50 AM
No way was there enough evidence to overturn the call on the field, no matter which way they'd called it. Hard to have the season swing on a call like that.

mtmike
December 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I would have had a tough time overturning that call on the field. The two minute thing is great, but many times it's calls made earlier in the game that still affect the outcome. It's like everyone blaming the kicker for a missed field goal losing/winning the game. Sure he missed, but somebody missed a block earlier in the game that allowed a first down, or there was a ball spotted 6 inches from where it really should have been, the games turn on little things too.

Zangzigger
December 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It wouldn't be fair if a team worked so hard, only for a ref to make a bad call. Penalties are judgement calls but for things that if the player's foot was in bounds or not, there's definitely a right and wrong call.

ur2k
December 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Anyone else think there was not "indisputable video evidence" that the 'Nova WR got a foot in on that play down to the 6 yard line? I don't think his foot touched, and they spent a LONG time thinking about it before they overturned the call and ruled him in. 'Nova scored the winning TD on that drive.

I agree, I was really surprised they overturned the call. I thought with all the replays they showed it was 50/50 that he dragged the foot inbounds - not enough to overturn the call on the field.

ur2k
December 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM

And Hudgins would have had a TD in the 2008 game against Richmond if review had been used. The game tape showed he caught that ball and it would have made it a 21-17 game.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan
December 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
For the record, I didn't start this topic because of the calls on Elon in the first playoff game. Even with replay, I'm not sure that call would have been overturned. That's ancient history anyway.

My two cents on the Nova call--the reason why I thought his foot was in bounds was due to a change in the shadow of his foot on the field, and what looked like some give in the ankle at the same moment. Indisputable? I don't know. But it is what it is.

LacesOut
December 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I like the NFL review system, where a coach can challenge a few plays. I don't like the college system, where the officials seem to review anything they want at any time they want.

If I want constant momentum changes or slowing of a game, I'll watch basketball, where you have a foul, then another foul, and then a foul, and then a timeout, then two more fouls, then three more timeouts, and low and behold look there....another foul called after the timeout! haha

Eight Legger
December 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
They made the right call last night. His foot was down. If you watched what it looked like at the point where it seemed like it came down and what it looked like at a point when it obviously was down a second later out of bounds, there was no change.

I agree that replay should be used whenever possible. So what if it slows the flow of the game? What if your team lost the championship game on a terrible call that couldn't be reversed because there was no replay? How many of you would say "Well, that's just the way it goes....Human error is part of the game."

I venture no one would.

appstate1998
December 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
It wouldn't be fair if a team worked so hard, only for a ref to make a bad call. Penalties are judgement calls but for things that if the player's foot was in bounds or not, there's definitely a right and wrong call.

totally disagree but we just have different opinions. If you are going to have a review, every play matters. A foot in bounds or out of bounds is one thing. Hypothetically, what if the only reason he was even able to catch the ball is because another receiver was holding his defender but no penalty was called. A penalty can make just as big of a difference as a foot in or out. What if it's 4th and 3rd and the team goes for it and gets sacked on the final play of the game but an obvious offsides wasn't called?

lucchesicourt
December 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
If you are going to use a review system it needs to be in place the entire season, not just the playoffs. If you don't use the system during the season, there is no reason to change the rules to use it for playoffs. The entire season needs to be played by the SAME rules and regulations, in order to be fair to ALL teams in the FCS.

phoenixphanatic21
December 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, the D-II championship game has review. And why don't we have it again?

soccerguy315
December 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Ok, the D-II championship game has review. And why don't we have it again?

the FCS championship game has review too.

If you want to pay the money to put the cameras in place at every stadium, then go for it. Otherwise, you're only going to get review when someone else (ESPN) brings in their cameras.

TokyoGriz
December 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Theres no good reason not to review. If your afraid your team will get ruled against then well... maybe they should.

Slowing the game down is a fairly decent complaint, but giving limited reviews per team would work. THen only the big questionable plays would get looked at, not too much time spent nitpicking the game, and it would be fair for all involved.

Lets face it with modern technology fans can see alot more than in yester year. Having your reciever clearly catch a ball have both feet inbounds inside the endzone yet ruled out of bounds etc is infuriating and unfair for the fans.

And lets face it the fans are the reason for the game in the first place. Well at least why its a big deal and on TV!

WyomingGrizFan
December 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Replay is great!!!! It's like an unbiased opinion. All the facts needed to make the right judgment. The so-called purists would have it that everything that ever happened in human history was the way it was supposed to happen. With replay, I don't think so. Make it so no one can dispute it afterwards. No doubt whatsoever.

Green26
December 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I don't like replay either, at least in college football. It puts too much emphasis on several plays and situations in games, and leaves out hundreds of other plays and situations.

As others have stated, it slows down the game and can stop momentum.

Sometimes, as seen last year, the booth official blows the call anyway.