PDA

View Full Version : Could Villanova's football team beat Notre Dame?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
http://networkedblogs.com/p20716855

As Villanova's football team prepares to face William & Mary in the I-AA playoff semifinals tonight, I thought it would be cool to take a look at just how high the Wildcats have risen in Jeff Sagarin's computer ratings.

'Nova is ranked No. 37, and is the highest-ranked I-AA team by 12 spots. The Tribe are the second-highest-ranked I-AA team at No. 49. In tonight's game, Sagarin predicts the Wildcats to win by six points: 77.63 and 3.20 to 75.17.

(The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and kick off at 8:00, in case you're near a TV. If you're near the Main Line, it should be a fun game to attend despite the cold.)

To understand just how high Villanova's ranking really is, consider the teams below them. MAC champion Central Michigan is No. 38, Boston College is No. 39 and Kentucky is No. 40.

That's all well and good, right? Then how about Connecticut at No. 41, Washington (which beat USC) at No. 42 or Florida State (44), Kansas (65), Northwestern (68) and Michigan (84) are all below the Wildcats as well.

But wait, there's more. Villanova is 11 places higher in Sagarin's rankings than Notre Dame. If the two teams met on a neutral field, Sagarin would favor the Wildcats by two points: 77.63 to 75.66.

Consider that if the two schools' men's basketball programs met on a neutral floor, Sagarin would favor Villanova by seven points: 89.17 to 2.23.

And there's this: if Penn State played Villanova on a neutral field, the No. 20-ranked Nittany Lions would be favored by only four points: 81.53 to 77.63.

Think that would ever happen?

xhurrayx

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM
http://networkedblogs.com/p20716855

xhurrayx

They would give them a really good game. Nova IS that good.

I dont like doing this but of course Nova beat Temple who beat Navy. The FCS final four would all do very well against FBS competition.

Tribe07
December 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Can it happen? Sure. It has. Think App State-Michigan. Will it usually happen? No.

Franks Tanks
December 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Can it happen? Sure. It has. Think App State-Michigan. Will it usually happen? No.

Is Notre Dame really much better than Virginia? Probably not

You guys sure took it too the Cavs.

kdinva
December 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, Nova could beat ND on a neutral field.

Would ND ever schedule a 1-AA? VMI will go 10-1 before that would happen.xeyebrowxxwhistlexxbeerchugx

paul1978
December 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hate Notre Dame but... No, Villanova cannot beat Notre Dame, Unless we are talking bball. They had better take care of William and Mary first

txst80
If this game was ever scheduled it would be in South Bend and I would think the home field advantage would give ND a close win. Hypothetically though, if this game was played in Villanova, or on a neutral field, I think Villanova wins.

Franks Tanks
Yes, Nova could beat ND on a neutral field.

Would ND ever schedule a 1-AA? VMI will go 10-1 before that would happen.xeyebrowxxwhistlexxbeerchugx

Probably not. Navy's recent history excluded the service academies are basically their FCS games.

tribe_pride
December 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I am not a big ND fan either but even though they were 6-6, they lost the 6 games by a total of 28 points and none by more than 7 including a 7 point loss to USC and a 5 point loss to Pitt.

It's doubtful any FCS team could beat ND this year

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Cant believe no one else commented on this...

Of course they can, they're in the CAA!!!!!! They could also beat Florida, Alabama, and Texas..

93henfan
December 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Of course they can, they're in the CAA!!!!!! They could also beat Florida, Alabama, and Texas..

Your CAA shtick is boringly repetitive and not very funny. Practice up a bit and try out some new jokes in the smack forum, or just shoot me some of your scribbles in a PM and I can give pointers. We don't mind smack, but let's try to work in some creativity, OK? You can do this.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Re: Could Villanova's football team beat Notre Dame?

Depends on who prays the loudest xsmiley_wix

" Hail Mary fulla grace, smack that QB in duh face ... "

GoneTribal
December 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Lame!! you are such a drain when you ruin every thread with this crap.

GoneTribal
December 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
It'd be a great game that's for sure. We can spend all day on if if if's...no one knows who would win, but I think we can all agree that any of the top 4 would play them very competitively

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Your CAA shtick is boringly repetitive and not very funny. Practice up a bit and try out some new jokes in the smack forum, or just shoot me some of your scribbles in a PM and I can give pointers. We don't mind smack, but let's try to work in some creativity, OK? You can do this.

Lame!! you are such a drain when you ruin every thread with this crap.

Now you know EXACTLY how every other conference feels when all they hear is how good the CAA is...

How's a taste of your own medicine?? If you can dish it, better be able to take it

GoneTribal
December 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
show me one time where I have touted the CAA as superior....blah blah blah

This thread is even about a team FROM THE CAA, yet no one is saying how awesome the conference is....that is, until you come along. Kudos. Keep it up.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
show me one time where I have touted the CAA as superior....blah blah blah

This thread is even about a team FROM THE CAA, yet no one is saying how awesome the conference is....that is, until you come along. Kudos. Keep it up.

You might not have said anything of the sort.. but last I checked, you are not the only one in here posting...

You're right, this thread is about a team from the CAA... But obviously since the CAA is so far superior to every other conference, the best team in it can obviously beat any other team...

GoneTribal
December 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize it was a CAA poster that wrote the blog, and then another CAA poster that started the thread....boy do I feel dumb.

Oh wait....

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
With Coco Hillary, I think App would beat them.

Sader87
December 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Holy Cross would beat ND this year as well....

LacesOut
December 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I am not a big ND fan either but even though they were 6-6, they lost the 6 games by a total of 28 points and none by more than 7 including a 7 point loss to USC and a 5 point loss to Pitt.

It's doubtful any FCS team could beat ND this year

Ahhhh, but they also won four games by a total of 17 points!

jus10asu
December 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
From what I've seen tonight....NO If App beats Montana they are going to destroy either one of these teams.....Count on that....I gotta give it to the D but the offense has sucked and don't blame it on cold because there are tons of teams that play in the cold a ton and don't have the problems that I've seen tonight.

AppStateMntr
December 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM
From what I've seen tonight....NO If App beats Montana they are going to destroy either one of these teams.....Count on that....I gotta give it to the D but the offense has sucked and don't blame it on cold because there are tons of teams that play in the cold a ton and don't have the problems that I've seen tonight.

Lets calm down on the cockiness my friend. Offenses seem rather mundane when two good D's are on the field. Lets just look forward to the next 24 hours, and then maybe you can begin the smack

Zangzigger
December 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Notre Dame wasn't as bad as the media made them out to be. They have one of the best quarterbacks in the country, one of the best wide receivers, and we're a bowl team. They weren't an elite team, but they weren't all that terrible.

Wildcat80
December 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
No. Brian Kelly is now the coach. The Irish just got 10 points better. ND does not play FCS schools. They are not Florida or statepenn. They are Notre Dame.

SideLine Shooter
December 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Man, they could beat New Orleans.xlolxxlolxxlolx

FCS Go!
December 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Man, they could beat New Orleans.xlolxxlolxxlolx

I agree!

http://freeteams.net/privateerfootball/schedule.html

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hate Notre Dame but... No, Villanova cannot beat Notre Dame, Unless we are talking bball. They had better take care of William and Mary first

They did, ...

100%GRIZ
December 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
No!!!

GolfingGriz
December 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
No. After watching them tonight, no way. They would need a playmaker at quarterback to expose ND's defense. Villanova doesn't have one. Notre Dame would easily outscore them.

Grrrrriz
December 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
After what I saw tonight...I will give it a resounding NOPE!!!!! Ridiculous.

Hoyadestroya85
December 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Just because they don't have to score 61 points to win a game? You Griz and App fans crack me up.. since when does your ***** not stink? Yes, Villanova was held to 14 points tonight but they were playing against statistically the best defense in the country..

Villanova doesn't have a playmaker at Quarterback??????? Are you f&*king serious? I'm sorry that Whitney has only 800 rushing yards this season.. That's not good enough? I'll get him to send you an apology letter. Focus on the fact that both of your teams have games to play tomorrow rather than hijacking every thread on earth with your garbage.

SpiderSafety75
December 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
The game went just as I thought. I knew W&M had the 'd' to win, just as they had against UR, but they just don't score enough. Nova, OTOH, can score plenty on those other two guys next week, whichever it is. I think they are the front-runners to win it all.

GolfingGriz
December 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Just because they don't have to score 61 points to win a game? You Griz and App fans crack me up.. since when does your ***** not stink? Yes, Villanova was held to 14 points tonight but they were playing against statistically the best defense in the country..

Villanova doesn't have a playmaker at Quarterback??????? Are you f&*king serious? I'm sorry that Whitney has only 800 rushing yards this season.. That's not good enough? I'll get him to send you an apology letter. Focus on the fact that both of your teams have games to play tomorrow rather than hijacking every thread on earth with your garbage.

Whitney made mistakes that just didn't make sense. Like running out of bounds for a loss when he could just though the ball away to save a couple yards. Nova won this game because of that wideout(the name isn't coming to me right now) and defense. The two biggest plays were the fake punt and the touchdown run out of the wildcat. Whitney had no influence on either of these plays.

Its not like I said UM or Appy could beat ND because I don't think either could. The title of the thread posed a question and I answered it, I was unaware that I couldn't post in this thread because I am a Montana fan. Your team is playing for all the marbles next week and that in itself is tremendous, I can only hope that my team will be able to do the same.

Grizalltheway
December 12th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Whitney made mistakes that just didn't make sense. Like running out of bounds for a loss when he could just though the ball away to save a couple yards. Nova won this game because of that wideout(the name isn't coming to me right now) and defense. The two biggest plays were the fake punt and the touchdown run out of the wildcat. Whitney had no influence on either of these plays.

Its not like I said UM or Appy could beat ND because I don't think either could. The title of the thread posed a question and I answered it, I was unaware that I couldn't post in this thread because I am a Montana fan. Your team is playing for all the marbles next week and that in itself is tremendous, I can only hope that my team will be able to do the same.

He doesn't care, he's just glad a CAA team is in the title game. xrolleyesx

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
From what I've seen tonight....NO If App beats Montana they are going to destroy either one of these teams.....Count on that....

now that's funnyxlolxxlolxxlolx

jus10asu
December 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
OK OK yeah that came off a bit cocky...I apologize. I just saw a lot of questionable mistakes coming from a semifinal caliber team. Whitney just didn't seem to have good pocket presence and made a lot of bad reads. Maybe it was the D...I don't know. Hopefully App will get a crack at Nova come Friday.

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
OK OK yeah that came off a bit cocky...I apologize. I just saw a lot of questionable mistakes coming from a semifinal caliber team. Whitney just didn't seem to have good pocket presence and made a lot of bad reads. Maybe it was the D...I don't know. Hopefully App will get a crack at Nova come Friday.

now your thinking, no apologies needed

tribe_pride
December 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Nova just beat a strong team and an excellent D. Remember that we gave up a combined 3 points to Weber St. and SIU. Nova is a very good team and will not get destroyed in the finals. They may not win but no FCS team will crush them

proasu89
December 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Lil bit xlolx

65 Pard
December 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
If they played 10 times, Nova might win one or two....who knows who wins the first game...

JohnStOnge
December 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I don't know about that. They're obviously good based on results including Villanova beating Temple and William & Mary dominating Virginia. Also the way William & Mary shut out Weber State and held Southern Illinois to three points.

But I guess that if Appalachian State makes it past Montana I would favor them to beat Villanova (which won last night). First of all Appalahcian State has a quarterback who is a dominating player and this will be his third national championship game. Lots of other guys on the team have been there before too. But also, after watching Villanova last night, I think Appalachian State would have a significant edge in speed and athleticism. Villanova does not, to me, look any where near as athletic as Richmond looked last year.

Maybe it was something about the field or the weather conditions but Villanova did look kind of sluggish to me as compared to a team like Appalachian State. I know it's stereotypical and sometimes it gets a little much talking about Appalachian State's speed but in this case I think the stereotype about the Southern team being a lot faster applies.

Of course I've also watched a number of I-AA/FCS games where the team that was obviously faster lost. In fact I've watched more of those than I care to remember.

ASU_Fanatic
December 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
no they couldn't

jmufan999
December 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
probably couldn't beat notre dame. would not have seen an offense with Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate all year. i like Nova and everything, but i doubt they would win. probably would be close, though.

jmufan999
December 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't know about that. They're obviously good based on results including Villanova beating Temple and William & Mary dominating Virginia. Also the way William & Mary shut out Weber State and held Southern Illinois to three points.

But I guess that if Appalachian State makes it past Montana I would favor them to beat Villanova (which won last night). First of all Appalahcian State has a quarterback who is a dominating player and this will be his third national championship game. Lots of other guys on the team have been there before too. But also, after watching Villanova last night, I think Appalachian State would have a significant edge in speed and athleticism. Villanova does not, to me, look any where near as athletic as Richmond looked last year.

Maybe it was something about the field or the weather conditions but Villanova did look kind of sluggish to me as compared to a team like Appalachian State. I know it's stereotypical and sometimes it gets a little much talking about Appalachian State's speed but in this case I think the stereotype about the Southern team being a lot faster applies.

Of course I've also watched a number of I-AA/FCS games where the team that was obviously faster lost. In fact I've watched more of those than I care to remember.

all i can say is that i heartily disagree. it probably DID look sluggish, because both teams are fast on both sides of the ball. you only notice speed when one team is faster than the other... trust me, both teams are very, very fast on both sides.

and yes, nova will and SHOULD be favored if they play app. montana will probably be favored if they win, but i still think nova wins regardless of who they play. none of us can predict the future, but that's my best guess.