PDA

View Full Version : Good teams?

GreatAppSt
December 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Every year around playoff time posters start saying one or another or several teams in the dance are not good teams at all. I believe.

Any team that is not just barely over .500, at least a 7-4 record is GOOD TEAM.

Any team that makes the cut and is invited to the playoffs I consider is VERY GOOD TEAM, regardles of their first round games outcomes.

A team that advances to the final 8 has reached ELITE TEAM status, again regardless of outcome.

The 4 remaining semifinalists are all CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBRE TEAMS and should be remembered as such, regardless of outcomes again.IMHO.

The 2 teams who make the finals are that years CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER TEAMS.

Obviously the one left standing is the CHAMP.

Discuss....

Native
December 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Nice summary. xthumbsupx

Dukes_Bando
December 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I think this has come up more in years past when talking about some of the representatives of weaker conferences...

In some previous years, you could point to a few games in the first round that were essentially first round bye's. This year, SCST was by all accounts a strong team that gave APP a decent game, Holy Cross from the PL had a good showing. There have been some blow-outs but they have largely been surprises.

As far as the quality of play getting better as the playoffs get to the championship I'd mostly agree.

We'll see how this plays out next year when the field increases to 20 teams and 2 more AQ's. xwhistlex

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I think this has come up more in years past when talking about some of the representatives of weaker conferences...

In some previous years, you could point to a few games in the first round that were essentially first round bye's. This year, SCST was by all accounts a strong team that gave APP a decent game, Holy Cross from the PL had a good showing. There have been some blow-outs but they have largely been surprises.

As far as the quality of play getting better as the playoffs get to the championship I'd mostly agree.

We'll see how this plays out next year when the field increases to 20 teams and 2 more AQ's. xwhistlex

Agree. This year you would have had UNI, Liberty, Colgate, Laffy & Montana St. on the bubble with 2 getting in with CCSt. & Stony Brook as AQ. With how they all finished, were any of them true contenders for a championship? I will be happy with a few more teams I just hope it doesn't get too watered down...

SpeedkingATL
December 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Agree. This year you would have had UNI, Liberty, Colgate, Laffy & Montana St. on the bubble with 2 getting in with CCSt. & Stony Brook as AQ. With how they all finished, were any of them true contenders for a championship? I will be happy with a few more teams I just hope it doesn't get too watered down...

I believe 20 is the absolute maximum you can invite without it getting watered down. I've always liked the 16 team format personally.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Every year around playoff time posters start saying one or another or several teams in the dance are not good teams at all. I believe.

Any team that makes the cut and is invited to the playoffs I consider is VERY GOOD TEAM, regardles of their first round games outcomes.

A team that advances to the final 8 has reached ELITE TEAM status, again regardless of outcome.

The 4 remaining semifinalists are all CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBRE TEAMS and should be remembered as such, regardless of outcomes again.IMHO.

Any team from the CAA is better then everybody else

Discuss....

Fixed it for you xsmiley_wix

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Fixed it for you xsmiley_wix

Always have to ruin a good discussion xcoffeex

I know they will go to 24 but that will be ugly especially if teams move up/down from where they are now in level of competition to FBS/DII or disbanding programsxbawlingx

Pitz
December 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't call Eastern Illinois a very good team this year. Panther fans, would you agree?

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Always have to ruin a good discussion xcoffeex

Just spitting some fire back at the all mighty CAA...

Sorry to ruin a good discussion -- proceed

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Just spitting some fire back at the all mighty CAA...

Sorry to ruin a good discussion -- proceed

"Spit" this weekend then we will see you next! xthumbsupx

GoneTribal
December 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I like that assesment GreatApp... Those that depart in the first round may not be championship contenders, but you don't get to that point without being a good team. I agree 100% that it should remain at 16 teams (even after last year with what happened to us). Any more than that and I think you're searching way too hard for those "upset specials" that happen once in a blue moon.

elon77
December 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Discuss....

I know I'm a homer, big time, but I believe Elon was an elite team this year, the horseshoe just fell out of the Spiders butt a week too late.xnodx

GreatAppSt
December 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I like that assesment GreatApp... Those that depart in the first round may not be championship contenders, but you don't get to that point without being a good team. I agree 100% that it should remain at 16 teams (even after last year with what happened to us). Any more than that and I think you're searching way too hard for those "upset specials that happen once in a blue moon.

What he said. BTW good luck tonight!xthumbsupx