PDA

View Full Version : CSN The CAA Today: The Rematch, AGAIN

CSN-info
December 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/ttcaatoday.JPG

The CAA Today: The Rematch, AGAIN
Terence Thomas, Sr. CSN The CAA Today columnist

A rematch by definition is a second or return contest between opponents. In last week’s quarterfinals, we had two such games involving CAA teams, and a third game pitting a CAA team against a Missouri Valley team creating a rematch between the conferences.

When rematches are spoken of, there’s usually a reference to the prior game where Team B narrowly lost to Team A, or Team B would have won had it not been for a set of circumstances. The loser of the previous game always is looking toward the rematch with vengeful thoughts on its mind but also with the knowledge that it previously lost to its opponent. The victor in general will come into the rematch with confidence, sometimes too much confidence. From these rematches, rivalries are born.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/12/10/the-caa-today-the-rematch-again?blog=5)

Tribe07
December 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Please Terrence Thomas. Big surprise that he called 'Nova. Doesn't your son PLAY for Villanova? Where is Bruce Dowd, the CAA Today has taken a nosedive without him.

CSN-info
December 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Please Terrence Thomas. Big surprise that he called 'Nova.

Please William and Mary fan, did you actually read the column? What is your rebuttal other than attacking the writer for no other reason than he didn't pick your team to win?

#5 William & Mary (11 – 2) @ #1 Villanova (12 – 1) @ 8 p.m., Friday
TV: ESPN2, ESPN2HD, ESPN360.COM
Series: William & Mary Leads 14 – 12 – 1
Villanova holds a five-game win streak over the Tribe and a 9 – 4 advantage in games played at Villanova Stadium. The last Tribe victory came in Williamsburg in 2004. In 2009, Villanova was the only squad to put up more than 20 points on the Tribe. This will be the winner’s first time going to the championship game. The Tribe will look to get out of the gate quickly and score TDs in the Red Zone opposed to FGs. Nova will look to play smashmouth football and take the spirit out of the Tribe quickly in a rematch that the nation will witness firsthand. It will be a game neither side will soon forget. In one corner, you have the higher-seeded confident Villanova Wildcats with the theme of “Rocky” playing in the background. In the other corner, the visiting William & Mary Tribe with a vengeful look in their eye. On a night where the temperature at game time will be in the lower 30s, the excitement in the air will warm the stadium. The hits will be monstrous, the plays will be special. The team that wants it the most will be victorious.

In this writer’s opinion, the Tribe cannot afford another slow start. As was proved in week No. 5, the Tribe spotted Nova and could not recover having won almost every statistical battle. While only yielding three points in their previous two games, the Tribe was able to overcome those slow starts. The same will not be true on Friday. The Tribe has a chance if they can keep it close. Villanova will blitz on the pass as well as blitz on the run. The defensive pressure will come from every way imaginable. Turnovers will ultimately decide the victor.

Wildcats 28 – Tribe 20, Upset Meter [—–5—-]

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM
his son is a LB for Nova, He did mention it in a story much earlier this year but it was almost fine print, he could have mentioned it a hellava lot more. I am also about 99.9 pct certian that Mr. Thomas is a registered user on gohens.net, he likes to go into the henhouse and ruffle the some feathers. A post he made in August about some weaknesses he saw at a Hens scrimmage turned out to be right on the money...he knows his football and he is welcome back to gohens next year as long as he offers some pre-season observatons.

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
his son is a LB for Nova, He did mention it in a story much earlier this year but it was almost fine print, he could have mentioned it a hellava lot more. I am also about 99.9 pct certian that Mr. Thomas is a registered user on gohens.net, he likes to go into the henhouse and ruffle the some feathers. A post he made in August about some weaknesses he saw at a Hens scrimmage turned out to be right on the money...he knows his football and he is welcome back to gohens next year as long as he offers some pre-season observatons.

He is Terry Thomas's father. Leading tackler for the Wildcats.

Questions for the tribe fan. Even if he has picked Villanova in every game this year, he would have only been wrong once. Where is your beef? Dude knows his Villanova Football since he is at every game. I've asked it before. What that W&M has done in these last two play off games has led you to believe they will not get off to a slow start against Nova? That being said. Why would you then pick Villanova to lose this game?

Chemhen
December 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I think the issue the first poster was taking with it is that CSN should have chosen a columnist who either was not biased or could not have been accused of being biased (depending on your point of view).

GoneTribal
December 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I didn't know Thomas' son was on the Nova squad, and certainly couldn't tell any bias from reading the article. I think any sensible fan of FCS would expect a close game with Nova probably having the edge since they beat us once already and are at home. That said, we win by 10. *wink**wink*

WMTribe90
December 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Villanova is a great team playing at home. I have no problem with the prediction. Score seems reasonable. I think the first team to 24 wins this rematch.

I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the column in general. I appreciate the effort, but unlike most of Dowd's columns, I find myself stuggling to read through these. Too much time recapping week old games, when the fans have already moved on. Better to write two smaller columns and recap last weeks games on Monday or Tursday and then preview the upcoming games on Thurs or Friday.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
If it makes you feel better, Brett Kahn from the sportsnetwork picked Nova too. And his son doesn't play for Nova. I also agree that I'm not much of a fan of his columns. I just don't like his writing style.

Wildcat80
December 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Gonna find a way not to cheer for either team.

GoneTribal
December 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Gonna find a way not to cheer for either team.

booooooooooo ;) xlolx

TypicalTribe
December 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the column in general. I appreciate the effort, but unlike most of Dowd's columns, I find myself stuggling to read through these. Too much time recapping week old games, when the fans have already moved on. Better to write two smaller columns and recap last weeks games on Monday or Tursday and then preview the upcoming games on Thurs or Friday.

I've communicated the same thing to Terence. His topics are not timely at all, especially the OL/DL thing before the 1st round of the playoffs. Also, get rid of the position, year and hometown for every player. Makes it really hard to read.

Long story short, there's no passion for the game in his articles. Dowd was entertaining every week.

CSN-info
December 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Perspective. The CSN columns run nationally, not just at AGS and CSN websites. Many like to read recaps by columnists and not from beat writers. More opinion from columnists. So bear with the recaps from our columnists, they like to give their slant on the games. The OL/DL piece was extremely well received by readers as was the special teams focus article. Fair enough that you like one writer over another but Dowd and Thomas are both on our staff and contribute when they can. Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hey CSN-info, what happened to Bruce? Is he ok?

Tribe07
December 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I think the issue the first poster was taking with it is that CSN should have chosen a columnist who either was not biased or could not have been accused of being biased (depending on your point of view).

Exactly. I think 'Nova is as fair a pick as W&M in this one. I expect it to go down to the wire.

My problem is more with Terrence Thomas generally. I used to eagerly await Bruce Dowd's informed, readable, and anecdote-filled columns. TT's are a major letdown.

Ebirtog1989
December 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I LOVE the Tribe going into this as an underdog. GO TRIBE !!!!!!

caribbeanhen
December 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Also, get rid of the position, year and hometown for every player. Makes it really hard to read.

now I liked the hometown inclusion, never going to please everyone though

HenZoneNation
December 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
He's a very nice man...aside from the fact that his son plays for Nova...nobody's perfect...My wife just treated his grandmother and was very impressed how nice of man he was...and how big he was.