December 10th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hey, whatever happened to Ebirt? xeyebrowx

ebirToG
December 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
He may need to come back...

It just shows how old I am.

henfan
December 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Tailgating at Villanova?! Ha. Good luck with that.

They've got the most inconsistently, unfriendly tailgating situation I've ever encountered anywhere and I've been to a couple dozen FCS stadiums.

Now that Northeastern is gone, VU's got the worst pre-game set-up going in the CAA by far. The overzealous, confrontational, ticket-happy police they hire to patrol the lots only make matters worse. I don't know what it is with the school that they can't get their act together after 21 years in the FCS football business. It's really pathetic.xsmhx

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM

They've got the most inconsistently, unfriendly tailgating situation I've ever encountered anywhere and I've been to a couple dozen FCS stadiums.

Now that Northeastern is gone, VU's got the worst pre-game set-up going in the CAA by far. The overzealous, confrontational, ticket-happy police they hire to patrol the lots only make matters worse. I don't know what it is with the school that they can't get their act together after 21 years in the FCS football business. It's really pathetic.xsmhx

weird, I've only heard good things about this year xeyebrowxxeyebrowx

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Do they quarantine the priests into a separate parking area?xcoolx

henfan
December 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM

If limiting tailgating to a single, tiny lot (Lot A), jacking up the price to $20 and having over-zealous Radnor Twp. cops ticketing anyone tailgating outside of the confined pen is considered improvement, then, yeah, VU's become a much more welcoming environment. Frankly, it sucked. It's not a D-I football environment at all, which is terribly unfortunately considering the quality of the home team.xsmhx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM

That's only because it's been so bad in the past!! Yeah, this year was an improvement, but come on. Have you been to many other CAA venues? Did you come to Durham in October? Half of Lot A is a postage stamp area in comparison to what other CAA schools have. Blue Hen Nation had to have spilled over into the other parking areas. Did Radnor Township's Finest allow them to tailgate? (I doubt it.) And $20 per car? xeekx No charcoal grills?

But I do have to give credit where credit is due, you guys coordinated a tremendous event for our Alumni Association in a building near the stadium. xnodx xnodx

BTW, at UNH we have a tailgating with alcohol area as well as another area that allows tailgating without alcohol. From my experiences at Villanova, I think they're serious about no tailgating of any kind outside the $20 and $50 per car areas. And the vast majority of parking is in their no tailgating area. Be careful Tribe, get to the $20 section of Lot A if you want to tailgate. Even if it is just to use a gas grill and have a hot coffee. I know last year none of us were going to meander away from our little picket fence area. (IIRC, they called it Lot 14.)

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

I'd say it's worse than previous years. You used to be able to get away with tailgating in the bigger lot as well, but this year they were maniacal about only keeping the tailgating limited to the smaller, more expensive lot. Certainly a step back from the previous trips up there.

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd say it's worse than previous years. You used to be able to get away with tailgating in the bigger lot as well, but this year they were maniacal about only keeping the tailgating limited to the smaller, more expensive lot. Certainly a step back from the previous trips up there.

Interesting. That is a shame. I don't have any experience with it, so I have to go by what others say. I thought I heard this year was much better, but it appears I am incorrect. back behind the stadium we do pretty much whatever we'd like. I guess that is because it is isolated from Lancaster? Who knows. Damn shame. xsmhxxmadx

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Interesting. That is a shame. I don't have any experience with it, so I have to go by what others say. I thought I heard this year was much better, but it appears I am incorrect. back behind the stadium we do pretty much whatever we'd like. I guess that is because it is isolated from Lancaster? Who knows. Damn shame. xsmhxxmadx

Way back in the day you could park on the grass on the other side of the tracks and then you'd be in Lower Merion and not Radnor and it was great, but that paved that over or built something there so that went away.

And in previous years they actually had Delaware-specific areas in the big lot for people to tailgate since we bring so many people - there were signs and everything directing UD fans and they cordoned off a section of the big lot just for this. This year - nada. I ended up taking my family to the Connelly Center and eating in there since we couldn't tailgate.

My wife's a nova grad and she was disappointed in this. Besides, she's so fed up with the stadium there she's thinking about not coming back anymore (I'll be there, too much of a diehard). She gets tired of the lack of concessions and the lack of bathrooms and the general feel of a big high school game - anytime that place gets more than 8k you can forget moving around there. Plus there's like two concession stands in the whole place (and maybe two sets of bathrooms). She said she forgot what, and I'm quoting here, "a pit this place is" and that she may just skip the every other year excursion to nova. Shame to since it's a much shorter drive for us versus Newark.

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Way back in the day you could park on the grass on the other side of the tracks and then you'd be in Lower Merion and not Radnor and it was great, but that paved that over or built something there so that went away.

And in previous years they actually had Delaware-specific areas in the big lot for people to tailgate since we bring so many people - there were signs and everything directing UD fans and they cordoned off a section of the big lot just for this. This year - nada. I ended up taking my family to the Connelly Center and eating in there since we couldn't tailgate.

My wife's a nova grad and she was disappointed in this. Besides, she's so fed up with the stadium there she's thinking about not coming back anymore (I'll be there, too much of a diehard). She gets tired of the lack of concessions and the lack of bathrooms and the general feel of a big high school game - anytime that place gets more than 8k you can forget moving around there. Plus there's like two concession stands in the whole place (and maybe two sets of bathrooms). She said she forgot what, and I'm quoting here, "a pit this place is" and that she may just skip the every other year excursion to nova. Shame to since it's a much shorter drive for us versus Newark.

Yeah that is a shame, too. I've only had two years of "fan experience" so I don't have the frustrations that most would. It is understandable though. A lot needs to be done. It is my understanding that something may be in the works (as far as concessions/environment) but the funding would need to be there. Hopefully we can win the NC this year, and that may do something. That's a lot of hope though, and not much belief.

My freshman year at Nova was really when people started getting into basketball though too. The attitude of the team and the run they made really boosted morale there. Something that I don't know existed before. I hope these last two years can do something for the football team like 2005 did for basketball.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Bruce Dowd did a thing about our crappy tailgating last year. Interviewed the a-hole alumni who is proudly responsible for the limited tailgating. And don't get me started on the pigs from Radnor. At least they don't venture into our lot behind the stadium. Radnor cops are some of the worst coffee drinking, donut eating, fat bastards I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Now, with that said. If the students could have acted responsibly and not like they were in a secluded frat party in the basement of some craphole house out in Ardmore, maybe things wouldn't be so bad. But when you bring a pickup truck full of beer and ice and people start throwing blocks of ice, empty and full cans at each other, the school decided it had no other option but to clamp down.

I'm not even bothering to tailgate because we don't have our tailgating pass for the playoffs. I'm surely not going to pay the absurd $50 by myself instead of split in my group, which is inexplicably unable to make any playoff games. I'll eat before I leave my house.

Now, I can go into other problems at the school and I'm going to attribute all of them to our jackass AD from St Joe's (PA). No longer can you leave at halftime. Most of the time, if you stop against the fence to see what's going on during a trek to the bathrooms, some jerkoff in a fluorescent yellow jacket will yell at you to keep moving. The entrance that I've used for the last ten years from the tailgating lot next to where the ambulances park is now closed. The same jerkoffs with the yellow jackets line up near the end of the game to keep the students from celebrating with the team like any other stadium would allow.

Honestly, I'm starting to think they're trying to piss off the people who actually do care about football enough to get them to stop going so they can kill football again.

Sorry for the long winded rant, but we're just as happy about the football situation as our visitors are.

Oh, and I should mention that at the first game of the season, I was held at the entrance to the tailgating lot for over a half hour because we weren't allowed to drive in while the band was performing. I thought Brannigan's mom was going to crack someone's skull open. Ms. Bauta would have.

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah that is a shame, too. I've only had two years of "fan experience" so I don't have the frustrations that most would. It is understandable though. A lot needs to be done. It is my understanding that something may be in the works (as far as concessions/environment) but the funding would need to be there. Hopefully we can win the NC this year, and that may do something. That's a lot of hope though, and not much belief.

My freshman year at Nova was really when people started getting into basketball though too. The attitude of the team and the run they made really boosted morale there. Something that I don't know existed before. I hope these last two years can do something for the football team like 2005 did for basketball.

The basketball crowd has always been there - sure, they'll go away during eras like the Lappas regime when the team isn't winning, but all nova has to do is win and there'll be people there - Philly's a college basketball town and even though most Big 5 people like nova the least of any of the Big 5, they'll still follow and root for them if they have to. And students are easy to get when you're winning. Hard to say if that will happen for football - I wouldn't think so since it's not FBS, but that's life in the FCS world.

cougarpines
December 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I think you need to "pre-buy" the $50 tail gate spots next to the stadium. There are not many but I have never seen them filled. Might be an alternative. No johns though

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I think you need to "pre-buy" the $50 tail gate spots next to the stadium. There are not many but I have never seen them filled. Might be an alternative. No johns though

Probably, but you can walk into the bathrooms right inside the entrance without getting your ticket ripped.

JMUNJ08
December 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like I won't be getting a great experience next year when JMU goes as I was looking forward to my first game at Nova...

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Let's see if there are changes for next year.

phillyAPP
December 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Any Tribe fans tailgating?

I thought the Title of the thread was a joke...... and i was RIGHT !!!!!!!!!

Everybody knows the best tailgating at Villanova happens at Kelly's Bar.......Its been that way for 40-50 years. LMAO

Good Luck and have someone ready to bail you out of Radnor Police department. joke.......maybe not..depending on your tailgating.

Just go to Kelly's until the game starts .... It will be more fun..... and don't mind the young idiots.... they change over every 4-5 years.....also joke

henfan
December 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
It's really a regrettable and completely unnecessary situation up there at Villanova. I hestitated to post anything about it after the Hens' recent loss out of fear of making it sound like sour grapes. It's the only place I've been threatened with a ticket (twice) just for pulling out tailgating gear. Heck, I even tailgated on the street in Brookline without any trouble.

Glad to hear that VU fans are fed up with it as well. Hopefully enough of you guys will complain to make a difference next season. I'm certain that VU doesn't give a fig about what visiting fans think. If your team wins the championship that may raise the profile of the FB program on campus and with the higher ups, making positive strides in the pre-game situation a little easier.

phillyAPP
December 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
It's really a regrettable and completely unnecessary situation up there at Villanova. I hestitated to post anything about it after the Hens' recent loss out of fear of making it sound like sour grapes. It's the only place I've been threatened with a ticket (twice) just for pulling out tailgating gear. Heck, I even tailgated on the street in Brookline without any trouble.

Glad to hear that VU fans are fed up with it as well. Hopefully enough of you guys will complain to make a difference next season. I'm certain that VU doesn't give a fig about what visiting fans think. If your team wins the championship that may raise the profile of the FB program on campus and with the higher ups, making positive strides in the pre-game situation a little easier.

I know i am a bit older than most here but in the 80's the students ruined the tailgating for themselves. The frats and ALL the parking lots were left like a DUMP site. The kids couldn't handle the alcohol and the police had to do something about it.

I do believe there is a middle ground but the students are going to have to show the admin they are responsible with TRASH and Liquor. I don't see it happening.

BloomHusky'01
December 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I went to the Holy Cross and UNH playoff games at Villanova. I've been to the school a couple of times before, but had never been there on a game day. I've been to dozens of football stadiums around the northeast for games and I have to say, Villanova would be among my least favorite hosts.

The good thing is that they have ample parking close to the stadium. Thats a big plus, but $10 to park there is outrageous and charging another $10 for the privilege of tailgating is just insulting. I'm okay with having a lot dedicated for tailgating, I think its a good idea. But $20?? Come on. I was not accosted like some fans have mentioned, but prior to the Holy Cross game, I know my dad and I were being observed by the Police. We took a couple of minutes to get our coats on, etc and had the hatchback open. A police car patrolling the lot stopped very close by, and I know he was watching us to make sure we were not attempting to tailgate. He left as soon as we started making our way to the stadium.

Tribe07
December 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
All in all this sounds like the worst set-up in the CAA.

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
All in all this sounds like the worst set-up in the CAA.

Now that Northeastern is out of the picture, I don't think there's a doubt in the world regarding that. xnodx

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ahhh, good old lot A (rear section....behind the barricades....the area with one security/police person for every 2.5 tailgaters) more affectionately known as the Impound Lot. We'll be there at 5:00 sharp tomorrow with IDs at the ready!

ebirToG
December 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Wow... I actually did not know I was opening up such the can of worms. I was honestly just looking for some friendly Tribe faces to share a little liquid warmth... gonna be cold tomorrow night!

Tribe4SF
December 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Wow... I actually did not know I was opening up such the can of worms. I was honestly just looking for some friendly Tribe faces to share a little liquid warmth... gonna be cold tomorrow night!

There will be plenty of us in The Impound Lot. Come on by!

AAadict
December 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=ebirToG;1492208]Wow... I actually did not know I was opening up such the can of worms.

Anyone who travels to away games knows that V is dissapointing. They have improved the number of port-o-pots but the attitude of the police makes you feel guilty for paying $20 to have a good time at a football game.
If you picture college FB tailgating as a festive and fun celebration with cookouts and cordials, picture the polar opposite at Villanova.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=ebirToG;1492208]Wow... I actually did not know I was opening up such the can of worms.

Anyone who travels to away games knows that V is dissapointing. They have improved the number of port-o-pots but the attitude of the police makes you feel guilty for paying $20 to have a good time at a football game.
If you picture college FB tailgating as a festive and fun celebration with cookouts and cordials, picture the polar opposite at Villanova.

The lot behind the stadium really is much better. But that isn't saying much.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
My advice: It's not a great scene, but it can still be fun, just follow these 3 points:

1- Get there early

2- Keep the alcohol in a cup, don't drink out of cans or bottles.

3- when you go into the game lock everything up, anything left out will not be there when you return

VUCats02
December 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm kinda sick about everyone bashing nova fans. It's not our fault the police are so strict. Let's just watch a good football game this Friday night and hope the better team wins.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'm kinda sick about everyone bashing nova fans. It's not our fault the police are so strict. Let's just watch a good football game this Friday night and hope the better team wins.

You have to keep in mind that when people come to your school who they interact with will be, in their mind, the face of your school. It could be the cop that busts their chops about something or the nice guy who stopped traffic to let them cross the street.
xpeacex

henfan
December 11th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'm kinda sick about everyone bashing nova fans. It's not our fault the police are so strict.

Very few people are bashing 'Nova fans here. Most seem to be taking issue with your school's bush-league football set-up.

The school has enough pull in the township that they could work with Radnor Twp. to make the experience more pleasant for all involved and, as even VU fans here have acknowledged, the school can do a lot on its own to improve the environment. Alas, VU's admin gives many the impression that football is nothing more than an inconvience to be tolerated for 3+ months.xsmhx

jlcharles
December 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Very few people are bashing 'Nova fans here. Most seem to be taking issue with your school's bush-league football set-up.

The school has enough pull in the township that they could work with Radnor Twp. to make the experience more pleasant for all involved and, as even VU fans here have acknowledged, the school can do a lot on its own to improve the environment. Alas, VU's admin gives many the impression that football is nothing more than an inconvience to be tolerated for 3+ months.xsmhx

I certainly agree with that.

But, VUCats02 brought up a good point. I don't know how much of the tailgating problems are ours and how much are caused by the jerks in Radnor. While you may think we have pull with them, the clear fact is we do not. They would like nothing more than to see the school disappear.