PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Officiating at Montana/SFA Game

Green26
December 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
The refs were terrific at the Montana/SFA game last Saturday. I think they were from the Ohio Valley Conference.

While there were some missed holding calls, etc., and one could disagree over a call or two--overall, they were very good. There were a few situations in which there was some pushing/shoving/wrestling after the play, but the refs just separated the players and kept their flags in their pockets.

Hats off to the crew. The best I've noticed all season. They allowed the game to keep flowing and let the players decide the game.

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Thank god we finally have review this weekend. FCS refs are horrible as a whole. It's really a shame only 3 games a year get review.

Bronco
December 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Noticed they were wearing ear plugs.

grizzpaw
December 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
i hope who ever reviews the plays is better than last year!

jsualum97
December 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I always read the rants about officiating in these forums, and other forums, and have come to the conclusion on how to improve officiating.
It is very obvious that all the people who complain about officiating are much better than the ones who are out there on the field. So, in order to do what is "best for the game" maybe we should get those who complain about it, and who are obviously much better at it than the people on the field, to go on the field and work the games. That would be what is "best for the game" that we all enjoy. I'm glad someone finally came on here and gave some kudos to the guys who go through all of the abuse and scrutiny every saturday to ensure a fair game is being played.

soccerguy315
December 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM
what are the rules for reviewing plays in the semis and final? do coaches get challenges? how many? etc

GoneTribal
December 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I always read the rants about officiating in these forums, and other forums, and have come to the conclusion on how to improve officiating.
It is very obvious that all the people who complain about officiating are much better than the ones who are out there on the field. So, in order to do what is "best for the game" maybe we should get those who complain about it, and who are obviously much better at it than the people on the field, to go on the field and work the games. That would be what is "best for the game" that we all enjoy. I'm glad someone finally came on here and gave some kudos to the guys who go through all of the abuse and scrutiny every saturday to ensure a fair game is being played.

so how long have you been a ref? xlolx;)

biggie
December 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
When you get that many TOs go your way I would hope you couldn't complain about the refs. :)

DG Cowboy
December 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I understand that they were Southland officials, and if so, your grade for them comes as a bit of a surprise for long-time SLC fans.

100%GRIZ
December 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I agree that the Ohio Valley Conf. officials did a great job!!! To tell you the truth I kind of hope they are doing the Griz App game this weekend!!! I was not at all impressed with the officiating crew of the MT SDSU game. But Hopefully replay will take care of any major mistakes this coming weekend!!! Are you sure replay happens this weekend or is just for the title game?

Grrrrriz
December 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Montana SDSU were Southland, and Montana SFA were OVC. I don't think you are allowed to have refs from your conference in the playoffs.

james_lawfirm
December 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
So, in order to do what is "best for the game" maybe we should get those who complain about it, and who are obviously much better at it than the people on the field, to go on the field and work the games. That would be what is "best for the game" that we all enjoy.

I appreciate your concern for the refs. However, from the bone-headed calls I have seen against App this year, it seems to me that clearly I could do a better job. Or, for that matter, so could David Beckham's 80 yr. old grandmother. So, I will take you up on your offer.

I am still fuming over the celebration penalty called on our CENTER for FIST PUMPING & MUSCLE FLEXING at the UR game. Are you flipping serious??????? That call would leave the Pope in an apoplectic, cursing fit. (if he were watching the game).

DG Cowboy
December 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Montana SDSU were Southland, and Montana SFA were OVC. I don't think you are allowed to have refs from your conference in the playoffs.

Oops! You are correct. I was thinking of the SDSU game. Glad some conferences have decent officials.

Grizo406
December 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I very seldom complain about the officiating for a lot of reasons.

When I do have a problem with the refs, it's probably because my team lost, but the Griz haven't done that in awhile. This past season, when a BSC Officiating crew was evolved, I've left more than a few games shakin' my head, and feelin' sorry for any playoff teams that are "lucky" enough to get this group callin' their game in the playoffs!

FWIW, I thought the OVC refs in our game with SFA were some of the best I've seen. Not because the Griz got the win, but because this particular officiating crew let both sides play the game.

GoAgs72
December 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, from my experience with BSC refs at the UC Davis/Sac State game, they are boneheads. They nade such bad calls it made Great West refs look like geniuses. Actually the ref'ing was one thing we could agree with Hornet fans about.

Torgo
December 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The quality of reffing in the FCS just isn't that good to begin with, but Big Sky refs may be the biggest joke of all.

It was a nice treat getting a decently reffed game for once.

ASUSoCon
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Refs in a 51-0 ball game have no impact in the game. There is no way referees can be judged for being "the best" in a blow out. Great officiating occurs in close games, believe it or not. In a game that is such a blow-out their role becomes strictly administrative. All they had to do was make sure there were no "cheap shots" and blow the whistle at the end of the play.

Of course the refs "seemed" great, they didn't have to make a big call in the second half. Face it, when the "big" call goes against you, you hate them, when the "big" call goes for you in the game, you love them. And in such a blow-out, there was no "big call" and thus no argument.

Admittedly, I coach and referee and as long as I understand their reasoning for a call, then I can at least live with it. And 99% of the time their reasoning can be justified. (In the stands I will still boo them, because I am a fan). As a biased observer watching App games, I too hate the "close" calls that go against App.

I can't tell any difference in the quality of the conference officials. They are seem of the same competence. Which according to who you ask is at different levels. Personnally, I think they do a fine job considering their pay and lack of replay.

Green26
December 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Refs in a 51-0 ball game have no impact in the game. There is no way referees can be judged for being "the best" in a blow out. Great officiating occurs in close games, believe it or not. In a game that is such a blow-out their role becomes strictly administrative. All they had to do was make sure there were no "cheap shots" and blow the whistle at the end of the play.

Of course the refs "seemed" great, they didn't have to make a big call in the second half. Face it, when the "big" call goes against you, you hate them, when the "big" call goes for you in the game, you love them. And in such a blow-out, there was no "big call" and thus no argument.

Admittedly, I coach and referee and as long as I understand their reasoning for a call, then I can at least live with it. And 99% of the time their reasoning can be justified. (In the stands I will still boo them, because I am a fan). As a biased observer watching App games, I too hate the "close" calls that go against App.

I can't tell any difference in the quality of the conference officials. They are seem of the same competence. Which according to who you ask is at different levels. Personnally, I think they do a fine job considering their pay and lack of replay.

You don't have a clue. You weren't at the game. You didn't watch the game. The game started at 0-0; it didn't start at 51-0. No-nothings like this irk me and clog the board. At least you said one thing I agree with:

"I can't tell any difference in the quality of the conference officials. They are seem of the same competence."

Consider finding a different sport to comment on.

ASUSoCon
December 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Didn't mean to tick you off.

Just stating that by the second half, there was no doubt in the outcome of the game. I give all the credit in the world to Montana! It's a good thing when officials don't have to make a "close" call. Montana blew them out and it's great that you liked the officials. I'm sure they did a great job.

I'm just saying that due to the score of the game there was no "BIG" call. That's a fact that should be recognized. Usually with no "BIG" calls, then there is no problem with officials.

----

Regardless, I have been around I-AA/FCS for a long time and do know football.

Green26
December 8th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Didn't mean to tick you off.

Just stating that by the second half, there was no doubt in the outcome of the game. I give all the credit in the world to Montana! It's a good thing when officials don't have to make a "close" call. Montana blew them out and it's great that you liked the officials. I'm sure they did a great job.

I'm just saying that due to the score of the game there was no "BIG" call. That's a fact that should be recognized. Usually with no "BIG" calls, then there is no problem with officials.

----

Regardless, I have been around I-AA/FCS for a long time and do know football.

I can tell from what you post that you don't know football. Looking at a score and concluding there were no big calls is a good example. You can't tell how a game was officiated by the score. My god. How dumb is that. Some of what was said in the first post was even dumber.