PDA

View Full Version : Final 4 Head Coaches Are FCS Finest

AAadict
December 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Of the four I know the least about Hauck but It seems to me that this group makes few mistakes. I know the homers for these teams could likely point out a few flaws but I would be happy to have any one of these guys. Moore, Laycock, Talley, & Hauck would be my order but likely unfair to the coach I see the least games.

ThompsonThe
December 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
You pretty much have to have a really good HC to get there.

Wildcat80
December 8th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Coach Moore has the rings to prove how good he is. The rest are all waiting for that confirmation. Coach McDonnell of UNH has done more with less than most FCs coaches over the past six years. xsmiley_wix

nms1987
December 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hauck might win games but he is a real piece of crap

jmufan999
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM

wow, can't wait to see what kind of flak (is that really how that word is spelled? i feel like i've seen it spelled like that but don't feel like looking it up) you get for that.

i think Talley is really underrated. all 4 are definitely fantastic coaches.

jmufan999
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
i lied, it is spelled F-L-A-K.

continue on. :)

100%GRIZ
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Well I for one am GLAD he is our piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silenoz
December 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
A very vocal minority of Griz fans detest or hate Hauck

nms1987
December 8th, 2009, 12:02 PM

There is really no way one could (while keeping a straight face) defend or justify his actions with regards to his player's assault's and his reaction to the newspaper coverage of those crimes.
Despicable all around

Silenoz
December 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM

There is really no way one could (while keeping a straight face) defend or justify his actions with regards to his player's assault's and his reaction to the newspaper coverage of those crimes.
Despicable all around

I couldn't care less about how he treated the hippies over at the Kaimin, or the demeanor he adopts in his press conferences. If the media gets butthurt about it, tough #@$#

And last I heard, they weren't crimes. All we know is some kid used racial slurs against two of our black players at a frat, and there was a fight. No charges were pressed. They were suspended. End of story

nms1987
December 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I couldn't care less about how he treated the hippies over at the Kaimin, or the demeanor he adopts in his press conferences. If the media gets butthurt about it, tough #@$#

The only way to interpret that response is that you care more about your football team than your town or your university.

If he was to shutoff all media that would be one thing. It might not be loved, especially at a public institution, since a football coach's job is, in part, to promote the image and visibility of his employer, but you could understand it.
But for a coach to single out the student paper and treat them in such a disgusting manner is completely inappropriate at an institution of higher education and his actions in this incident show his true character to be petulant, immature and downright disgusting.

It sends the message that the student newspaper is not essential and supported by the university. The students that run it are not only trying to do a good job, but also to train themselves for future employment. Hauck's actions send the message that the university supports its football coach before it supports its students. That message has no place at any university. Certainly not one supported by public funds.
The newspaper is a vital intellectual and academic pursuit on a campus.
Would anyone tolerate it if Hauck sent a big picture of his middle finger to the Biology, Business or English departments?

The Kaimin isn't "the media" or a "bunch of hippies", it is more a part of your university than the football team. Show as much pride in them, and the Montana students, as you do in your football team

nms1987
December 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
And I'm actually more of a political conservative (though pretty in-between overall) than anything, but if reporting a crime or calling out a football coach on running a crime ridden program and having a long history of caring little for character or laws makes one a "hippy" I'd (sadly) have to be glad to be called one.
Silly hippies, thinking football players aren't allowed to run around cracking skulls outside of practice and games,

However, concern for the law and public safety are traditionally seen as more conservative perspectives.

Silenoz
December 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
One, as a Missoula native, UM grad, child of two UM grads, and moderate myself, don't tell me what I should or shouldn't care about or support.

Two, I personally know many of the Kaimin reporters from the last five years (I treated one of their managers to Cat-Griz this year). They're big boys and girls, I think they can handle a tough story.

Three, Hauck cares little for characters? I recall quite a few players being dismissed from the team instantly for various transgressions. You know, the ones they were charged with.

And yes, I care more about the football team winning than I care about the Kaimin and its students. Spin that against me any way you want, because it's not even close.

putter
December 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
And I'm actually more of a political conservative (though pretty in-between overall) than anything, but if reporting a crime or calling out a football coach on running a crime ridden program and having a long history of caring little for character or laws makes one a "hippy" I'd (sadly) have to be glad to be called one.
Silly hippies, thinking football players aren't allowed to run around cracking skulls outside of practice and games,

However, concern for the law and public safety are traditionally seen as more conservative perspectives.

yea, and there are never any fights/altercations at any other unversities in this country. In this case, the two players in the fight were disciplined (it happened in March) and the amazing investigative reporting by the Kaimin found out about the incident in August!!!!! Heck, the kid who was in the fight (and his father) had no problem how the school and coaches handled the incident. don't like how Hauck handled it, was childish, but he made a point.

nwFL Griz
December 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hauck is a piece of crap?

I find that difficult to believe, especially when I saw him in Afghanistan. He was anything but a piece of crap. I also gained some respect for Coach Matthews when I saw him there as well.

Now, does Coach Hauck always handle every situation correctly...no. But after reading everything there was to read about the whole Kaimin situation, the only issue I have with him, was how long he let it go on.

And nms1987, it's best not to use the word crime where no crime occured. It makes you look completely biased.

soccerguy315
December 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
well... this congratulatory thread has taken a turn for the worse

proasu89
December 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Of the four I know the least about Hauck but It seems to me that this group makes few mistakes. I know the homers for these teams could likely point out a few flaws but I would be happy to have any one of these guys. Moore, Laycock, Talley, & Hauck would be my order but likely unfair to the coach I see the least games.

xthumbsupx

Silenoz
December 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
well... this congratulatory thread has taken a turn for the worse

We ruin everything we touch xlolx

GrizFamily
December 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Not anymore. Good job mods or whoever fixed it. But you have to know it will just be reposted.

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well despite the Montana rumblings, I wouldn't argue the fact that these are 4 very well coached teams with a lot of history. Good luck to all.

AAadict
December 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Couple examples of when you have a questionable coach:
-There is 10 min. left in the 3rd qtr. and we are out of TO's?
-We took a time out to call THAT play?
-We are down two scores and not much time left...we keep running the clock to call plays?
Can't overstate the value of a smart coach over the course of a season and especially the pressure of single elimination playoffs.

soccerguy315
December 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
just some research to add to the thread...

Jimmye Laycock, age 61:
30 seasons with W&M (prior experience with Clemson, Citadel, Memphis State)
200-140-2

Bobby Hauck, age 45:
7 seasons at Montana (prior experience with Montana, UCLA, Northern Arizona, Colorado, Washington)
79-16

Jerry Moore, age 70:
21 seasons with ASU (prior experience with Nebraska, North Texas, Texas Tech, Arkansas)
178-73 at ASU, 205-121-2 overall

Andy Talley, age 66:
24 seasons at Villanova (prior experience: Springfield College, Middlebury, Brown, St. Lawrence)
177-103-1 at Villanova, 205-121-2 overall

Do Talley and Moore really have identical records (info from wiki)? wow
update: Moore's numbers might not include this year

edit: updated Hauck's wins to include this year, thanks to Silenoz!

Grizaholic17
December 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM

I find Hauck to be on a roller coaster ride with me right next to him. He continually proves himself to me, but I find his stupid manurisms (especially with the Kaiman case) embarrassing for our program.

Overall, I enjoy my chats with Hauck and find the list of HC's for these teams to be respectable. Which one is the youngest?

EDIT: scratch the youngest question. As I thought, HAUCK IS BY FAR THE YOUNGEST. He is not going to be with us for long I have a feeling

Silenoz
December 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Bobby Hauck, age 45:
7 seasons at Montana (prior experience with Montana, UCLA, Northern Arizona, Colorado, Washington)
79-16

soccerguy315
December 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Bobby Hauck, age 45:
79-16

will update! guess Hauck's numbers didn't include this year either. You guys are slacking on your coach's wikipedia page! xlolx

wideright82
December 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
just some research to add to the thread...

Jimmye Laycock, age 61:
30 seasons with W&M (prior experience with Clemson, Citadel, Memphis State)
200-140-2

Bobby Hauck, age 45:
79-16

Jerry Moore, age 70:
21 seasons with ASU (prior experience with Nebraska, North Texas, Texas Tech, Arkansas)
178-73 at ASU, 205-121-2 overall

Andy Talley, age 66:
24 seasons at Villanova (prior experience: Springfield College, Middlebury, Brown, St. Lawrence)
177-103-1 at Villanova, 205-121-2 overall

Do Talley and Moore really have identical records (info from wiki)? wow
update: Moore's numbers might not include this year

edit: updated Hauck's wins to include this year, thanks to Silenoz!

So app state vs. villanova is kind of a given then, right?

GRIZCLAW
December 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
So app state vs. villanova is kind of a given then, right?

Obviously all are good coaches, great programs, great players, great traditions. I would only point out that rating a coach by his tenure would seem a bit biased towards the older gentlement. Now, since Hauck has only been at Montana 7 years and won about 80 games, if you take that times 3 to equal the number of years the other coaches have been in the business, Coach Hauck should have approximately 240 wins in 21 years at Montana....makes a very good case that he's a good coach, without negating the outstanding records of the other coaches. Point is, kudo's to all, Coach Hauck well on his way to joining some elite programs/coaches..xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

wideright82
December 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Obviously all are good coaches, great programs, great players, great traditions. I would only point out that rating a coach by his tenure would seem a bit biased towards the older gentlement. Now, since Hauck has only been at Montana 7 years and won about 80 games, if you take that times 3 to equal the number of years the other coaches have been in the business, Coach Hauck should have approximately 240 wins in 21 years at Montana....makes a very good case that he's a good coach, without negating the outstanding records of the other coaches. Point is, kudo's to all, Coach Hauck well on his way to joining some elite programs/coaches..xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

That's all well and good, but I wasn't basing my claim off of any of that xlolx I was merely pointing out that Talley and Moore would go into the Chip with IDENTICAL records, the victor then inching past the other to have more career wins. Makes for a cooler story so it's bound to happen........ sorry you typed all of that out now? xlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsupx

State Line Liquors
December 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM

I can think of a few examples to the contrary. xwhistlex

Grrrrriz
December 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Wideright up to his old tricks.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I find Hauck to be on a roller coaster ride with me right next to him. He continually proves himself to me, but I find his stupid manurisms (especially with the Kaiman case) embarrassing for our program.

Overall, I enjoy my chats with Hauck and find the list of HC's for these teams to be respectable. Which one is the youngest?

EDIT: scratch the youngest question. As I thought, HAUCK IS BY FAR THE YOUNGEST. He is not going to be with us for long I have a feeling

It would be nice to see him win a title this year before moving to UNLV potentially.

Proud Griz Man
December 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It would be nice to see him win a title this year before moving to UNLV potentially.

Seriously, why would he go to UNLV? Think about it. xeyebrowx