PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern and Hofstra refugees (players)

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Any rumors yet on former Northeastern and Hofstra players transferring to other schools? Also, if a player wants to transfer mid-year, will he most likely have to pay for a semester? I imagine most schools don't have scholarships lying around, right? Or do some schools possibly have scholarships available from player(s) who lost their scholarships for academic/disciplinary reasons?

Bull Fan
December 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Stony Brook is targeting some of the former Flying Dutchmen, i.e., Brock Jackolski and Joe Sidaras....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
One is already headed to Rutgers:

6'6 OL Matt McBride

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2009/12/rutgers_gets_commitment_from_t.html

So much for those "little" Hofstra players that couldn't compete. xrolleyesx

nms1987
December 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
That article is interesting because it looks like McBride never played in a game for Hofstra this year. He will transfer with 4 years of eligibility left, so it sounds like he redshirted 2009.

So Rutgers pursuit of him would be based almost entirely off of what they remember about him in HS, yet they didn't want to offer then. I guess they didn't have a free scholly.
Good for the kid and good for Hofstra, it looks like they were recruiting guys the big boys wanted too.

nms1987
December 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Also, lets keep updating this thread. I'm curious to see how the diaspora works out.

When ETSU shut their program down one of their guys who moved on, safety Gerald Sensabaugh (to UNC.. boo), eventually made it into the NFL and has had a solid career

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Heard that we contacted John Griffin of Northeastern. I suspect he will have his fair share of suitors. I'm also curious about Mayo, the DE from Hofstra, whose younger brother is already a Spider.

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Maysonet may sign with StonyBrook this week also. He is local from Riverhead, LI about 30 minutes from StonyBrook. From what I understand scholarships are available for up to 8 Hofstra players which was reported last night on SBU's sports report. If they get in by spring semester they can play in September. I dont see any problems for that not to happen.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
KC should be able to get one, he's good at this

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm also curious about Mayo, the DE from Hofstra, whose younger brother is already a Spider.

Are they related to Jerod Mayo who played at Tennessee?

SFspidur
December 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Are they related to Jerod Mayo who played at Tennessee?

Yes, Jerod is Derek and Deron's brother.

Not sure how good of a position we're in right now for getting in with these guys, as we're in need of a head coach.

Redwyn
December 7th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Maysonet may sign with StonyBrook this week also. He is local from Riverhead, LI about 30 minutes from StonyBrook. From what I understand scholarships are available for up to 8 Hofstra players which was reported last night on SBU's sports report. If they get in by spring semester they can play in September. I dont see any problems for that not to happen.

Looking forward to seeing what a pan-Long Island program can do next year! A very sad situation, but I'm glad some Hofstra players can at least keep playing the game they love next year.

Old Cat Fan
December 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Coach Mac was quoted as saying that they will be in touch with some of the Northeastern players that UNH recruited once the playoffs were done. That was before Hofstra announced there program was ending, so I would assume Hofstra players would be included also.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
A paste of mine from over on the JMU board on caazone:

NU underclassmen starters according to their game notes from their next to last game vs HU. I noted where the returning lineman are from.

Offense:
LT #70 Greg Niland (Jr., 6’5, 305), E Bridgewater, MA: 3 yr starter.
C #60 Brian Palangi (RFr., 6’4, 286), Nahant MA
RT #76 Martin Wallace (RFr., 6’6, 285), NY, NY
FB #26 Lloyd Clarke (Jr., 6’0, 224)
RB #28 John Griffin (Jr., 6’0, 205): 1st team All CAA
WR #87 Jordan Batts (Fr., 5’11, 170)
QB #5 Alex Dulski (Jr., 6’4, 225)

Defense
LE #90 David Akinniyi (Jr., 6’4, 250)- Rocklin, CA: 2 yr starter,
NG #50 Mike Laperriere (So., 6’3, 240)- Buzzards Bay, MA
OLB #35 Kyle Hunte (Fr., 6’2, 205)
LCB #18 Jocquez Fears (So., 5’9, 185)
SS #1 Darryl Jones (Jr., 5’10, 184)
RCB #41 Devone Williams (Jr., 5’8, 159)

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Another copy & paste of mine:

Hofstra underclassmen starters from game notes last game vs UMass (Including the whole 2 deep would be just too many players):

Offense:
-WR 2 Anthony Nelson Jr. 5-10 180 Wellington, FL/Glades Day School
-LT 71 Brian Frederick Jr. 6-4 276 Dracut, MA/Dracut/Bridgton Academy
-C 67 Jaren Harrell Jr. 6-2 294 Quartz Hill, CA/Quartz Hill
-RG 60 Tom Ottaiano Jr. 6-1 295 East Hanover, NJ/Hanover Park
-RT 68 Derek Moore So. 6-2 285 Granville, OH/Newark Catholic/Fork Union: 3rd Team All CAA
-TE 84 Jose Cruz Jr. 6-4 248 Johnstown, PA/Bishop McCort/Akron
-WR 6 Aaron Weaver Jr. 6-2 221 Freeport, NY/Baldwin: 2nd Team All CAA
-HB 21 Miguel Maysonet Fr. 5-10 190 Riverhead, NY/Riverhead
-FB 26 Everette Benjamin Jr. 6-1 220 Massapequa, NY/Amityville Memorial: 2nd Team All CAA

-TE 87 David Wilson RFr. 6-6 231 Secane, PA/Upper Darby/Delaware County CC (included him since he caught 4 passes for 65 yds vs JMU, 2 TDs, and I literally live a 1/2 mile from the center of Secane).

Defense
DT 25 Omar Jacobs Jr. 6-1 257 Oakland, CA/Skyline/Laney College
NT 56 Ronnie Cameron So. 6-2 278 Westbury, NY/Holy Trinity
DE 10 Deron Mayo Jr. 5-11 214 Hampton, VA/Kecoughtan: Only player listed on 2 deep from VA.
OLB 23 Gregory Melendez So. 6-1 207 Brooklyn, NY/Canarsie
OLB 24 Basim Hudeen So. 5-10 228 Elizabeth, NJ/Elizabeth
CB 13 Garrett Heron Jr. 5-8 181 South Orange, NJ/Columbia
WS 41 Chris Edmond So. 5-10 207 Freeport, NY/Freeport/Nassau CC

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
2 former JMU players, both on the 04' NC team, were assistant coaches on the HU team, including their recruiting coordinator Kevin Mapp who also coached at JMU for 2 years.
http://www.gohofstra.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=109575&SPID=13582&DB_OEM_ID=22200&ATCLID=3722050&Q_SEASON=2009

I bet Matthews was on the phone with Mapp within 24 hrs after HU made the announcement.

From the Harrisonburg Daily News Record on 12/4 (can't read whole article unless you have a subscription):

"....We're recruiting some of their (Hofstra's) kids," Matthews said. "I found out this morning. We were not really interested in any of the Northeastern kids so we hadn't anticipated taking any transfers at the break."

Matthews said he and his staff would talk today to determine how much scholarship money they have available for transfers.

Because Hofstra and Northeastern cut their football programs, players are eligible to transfer and play right away instead of sitting out a year.

The CAA also waived its restrictions on players transferring within the league for players from the two now-defunct teams....."

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Madison Eyes Hofstra Player
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=42933&CHID=3

Game notes vs JMU he was listed as a 2 deep DT.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM
There's probably around 90-100 returning scholarship players from NU and HU with 1-4 years of eligibility left. I imagine a lot of the rising seniors won't want to transfer for just a season. Some others will elect to keep their schollies and finish out at NU and HU. But I imagine at least 50ish will transfer. Doubt too many will transfer up, although that true freshman HU OT has verballed to Rutgers. Doubt too many will transfer down to DII either. As has already been said, SBU will get a lot, seeing as how they're right down the road from HU, and the Big South gets an auto next yr. I think the NEC will get some, esp since they get an autobid next yr, but that conference is limited to 35? schollies a team. CAA will get more NU and HU transfers than any other conference. Its going to be an absolute recruiting meat market at those 2 schools the next couple of months.

Wildcat80
December 8th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Coach Mac was quoted as saying that they will be in touch with some of the Northeastern players that UNH recruited once the playoffs were done. That was before Hofstra announced there program was ending, so I would assume Hofstra players would be included also.

Griffin would be sweet! Any other gamebreakers?

bluehenbillk
December 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM
-TE 87 David Wilson RFr. 6-6 231 Secane, PA/Upper Darby/Delaware County CC (included him since he caught 4 passes for 65 yds vs JMU, 2 TDs, and I literally live a 1/2 mile from the center of Secane).

Being a Delco native myself (Media), is it wise to advertise you live 1/2 mile from Secane???

Dukie95
December 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Madison Eyes Hofstra Player
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=42933&CHID=3

Game notes vs JMU he was listed as a 2 deep DT.

Johnny Hartsfield is scheduled to visit JMU on Wednesday.

http://twitter.com/VaSportspen/status/6448471774

aceinthehole
December 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM
CCSU is out there right now, but no details yet.

NEW BRITAIN — The life of a football coach doesn’t allow for much reflection. Central Connecticut’s season ended on Saturday, and the Blue Devils’ coaching staff was out recruiting on Monday.
The Blue Devils came up short in the game, but the Gridiron Classic actually helped lengthen the season off the field in an important way. Had the Blue Devils not reached the postseason, they would no longer be allowed to practice. But the preparation time they were able to gain by earning the extra game will help next year’s squad as much as it did this one.

“We got an extra eight practices for our younger kids,” McInerney said. “Those extra eight practices will help our 2010 team, which we’re excited about.”

That’s the other reason McInerney isn’t spending much time looking back. Looking forward is too exciting. The Blue Devils lose 12 seniors from this year’s team, but have a ton of players returning, including a core group that spent this season learning how to win. They will now be in charge of teaching the players behind them. The Blue Devils have their numbers set up so that there will be balance for years to come.

“We have 18 seniors next year. We’ll have 24 juniors, 16, sophomores and 11 redshirt freshmen,” McInerney said. “We have the classes in line and retention. That’s important to the consistency of a program, which is what we’re looking for. We want to be consistent every year. That’s what you need in a program.”

While McInerney can’t talk about potential recruits that haven’t signed with the Blue Devils, you can expect the cancellation of football at Northeastern and Hofstra to benefit the Blue Devils with some new additions. But what will be most important for 2010 is for the players who are already here to build on what the 2009 team accomplished.http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2009/12/07/sports/doc4b1db6f07ea43812397429.txt

Pard4Life
December 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Briefly, who are the top three on offense and defense, and what are their targets?

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Being a Delco native myself (Media), is it wise to advertise you live 1/2 mile from Secane???

Hey, Secane and the area around it (BriarCliff (Darby Township), Aldan, Clifton Heights, Primos, Springfield is a mix of blue collar to middle class- not a bad area.

FWIW, I lived in Media for over 4 years before moving to where I'm at now.

GoWildcats789
December 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Derek Moore, offensive lineman for Hofstra, is a good player. He is only a sophomore and landed on the All-CAA third team this past season.

Hofstra also had junior receiver Aaron Weaver and junior fullback Everette Benjamin named to the All-CAA second team .

For NU I like wideout Jordan Batts. A freshman, he lead NU in receptions and yards. I'd like to see UNH go after him.

Also freshman DB Kyle Hunte had 3 interceptions for NU this year.

GA St. MBB Fan
December 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I know NU had a hand full of players from GA. Anyone know if HU has any as well?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Why - yes, I do beleive Lehigh would like a 6'6 TE from the local area:

David Wilson TE Serone, PA (Upper Darby)

And a speedy DB:

Paul Leslie DB Montgomeryville, PA (North Penn/Boise State)

And a Ron Jean-esque running back:

Carlton Koonce RB Lumberton, NJ (Rancocas Valley Regional)

I sure hope someone from Lehigh is on the phone with these three young men - at least.

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Haven't you guys heard.....all of the players for Hofstra and Northeastern are heading to Boone, NC for a private tryout....David Coulson will select who ASU needs and the rest will get thrown back into the mix up north....:) ;)

Bogus Megapardus
December 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I sure hope someone from Lehigh is on the phone with these three young men - at least.

Better yet, I hope Tavani already has them on speed-dial.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Derek Moore, offensive lineman for Hofstra, is a good player. He is only a sophomore and landed on the All-CAA third team this past season.

Hofstra also had junior receiver Aaron Weaver and junior fullback Everette Benjamin named to the All-CAA second team .

For NU I like wideout Jordan Batts. A freshman, he lead NU in receptions and yards. I'd like to see UNH go after him.

Also freshman DB Kyle Hunte had 3 interceptions for NU this year.

And Moore also PG'ed at FUMA in VA. JMU has a pipeline of FUMA players from the FUMA PG team (which traditionally has a couple doz guys sign Div I schollies every year). At least 4 in the last 3 years, 3 starters:
-rSo WR Kerby Long
-So LB Jamie Veney
-So CB Cuffey

So Long and Moore from HU must have played together in 06' at FUMA.

2 areas where JMU could use some help to solidy the 2 deep are at DT and OG/C. As has been already reported, the Hofstra 2 deep rFr DT Johnny Hartsfield is making a visit to JMU tomorrow. Hopefully he commits by the end of the week. I'm sure JMU would also love to have Moore. JMU's o-line coach Chris Malone, who started at OG 4 years for VA Tech back in the early-mid 90s, recruits FUMA players for JMU and has developed a pretty good recruiting relationship at FUMA.

Redwyn
December 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Looks like Stony Brook has Maysonet for sure. Glad Stony Brook found their second punch at RB to compliment Gowins.

http://suffolksports.ourvarsity.com/schools/school-article-profile.php?Article_ID=1535

Any news of other transfers here or to other schools?

Hoyadestroya85
December 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM

John Dempsey the safety from Villanova (O'Hara) is from Secane, I wonder if he knows this kid. A pass catching Tight End would be nice.

Seawolf97
December 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Looks like Stony Brook has Maysonet for sure. Glad Stony Brook found their second punch at RB to compliment Gowins.

http://suffolksports.ourvarsity.com/schools/school-article-profile.php?Article_ID=1535

Any news of other transfers here or to other schools?

He will make a nice addition. I expect to see a few more by this weekend wearing RED . Im glad they are finding programs -to Hofstras credit.

State Line Liquors
December 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Haven't you guys heard.....all of the players for Hofstra and Northeastern are heading to Boone, NC for a private tryout....David Coulson will select who ASU needs and the rest will get thrown back into the mix up north....:) ;)

I don't doubt that Coulson loves to give physically fit college men 'private workouts'. xrotatehx