PDA

View Full Version : Montana Flights

Appattk
December 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Just saw a flight from Charlotte to Seattle for $388. But then it's a "snowy" 7 hour drive to Missoula...

Any Montana posters out there know of any cities we could be looking into for flights? Seems like all the rest are averaging $800 and above...

Live4Griz
December 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Spokane, WA or Bozeman, MT - Both about 3 1/2 hours from Missoula.

GO GRIZ!!

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Best I have found is DC - Seattle for $293.

... That's really tempting.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Spokane, WA or Bozeman, MT - Both about 3 1/2 hours from Missoula.

GO GRIZ!!

We have an airport??

I'm guessing it's a cow pasture with a wooden control tower xlolx

(j/k Cat fans!)

Bronco
December 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Allegiant Air has cheap flights into Missoula everyday from Vegas and Phoenix

might check and see how that looks

www.allegiantair.com/

Maybe you get an idea what it's like for Griz fans to get to Nooga on short notice.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Maybe you get an idea what it's like for Griz fans to get to Nooga on short notice.

Missoula to anywhere outside of driving distance is going to be expensive.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
We have an airport??

(j/k Cat fans!)

Glad to see you're just kidding. Bozeman has the second busiest airport in Montana behind Billings. Unless it's snowing it's usually an easy three hour trip on Interstate 90 to Missoula, 200 miles.

Bronco
December 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Glad to see you're just kidding. Bozeman has the second busiest airport in Montana behind Billings. Unless it's snowing it's usually an easy three hour trip on Interstate 90 to Missoula, 200 miles.

I always like seeing the Griz Bear on display at the Bozeman airport.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__b_W1JrOxAU/SsWPqtNqqsI/AAAAAAAAC9g/AMQ6d43gUzI/s400/beartotem

putter
December 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
It may be more expensive but you could also look into flying into Butte, MT . 80 miles closer then Bozo and you skip Homestake Pass. Oh, and the descent into Bert Mooney is one you won't forget..xsmiley_wix

93henfan
December 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__b_W1JrOxAU/SsWPqtNqqsI/AAAAAAAAC9g/AMQ6d43gUzI/s400/beartotem

That's not an airport. That's either a ski or hunting lodge. Don't try to fool us like that.

putter
December 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
That's not an airport. That's either a ski or hunting lodge. Don't try to fool us like that.

Welcome to Montana.....

Torgo
December 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Hah.

Now Missoula's airport...that is a hunting lodge.

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
If I had the money I'd go.

putter
December 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM

come on, take out a loan and help this struggling economy!! xlolx

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM

So you are officially back on the App bandwagon? xrolleyesxxsmhx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Salt Lake is about the same drive as Seattle and can have just as crappy of a road. Anytime you have to drive through Idaho in the winter, you better cross your fingers. They can't keep a road plowed for anything. xsmhx

VictorG
December 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
We have an airport??

(j/k Cat fans!)

Yes we have an airport. How else do you think the eastern cities get "Fresh Montana Beef Steak"!xlolx

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ha..yes. That game just tore me up because we could not stop them on third and at the point we weren't moving it either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
It's going to be a great experience for any App State making the trip out. I have never been to Montana but i would love the chance to get out there. The biggest problem is travel, especially this time of year. However, if i had the opportunity i'd get there by any means possible.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Salt Lake is about the same drive as Seattle and can have just as crappy of a road. Anytime you have to drive through Idaho in the winter, you better cross your fingers. They can't keep a road plowed for anything. xsmhx

That's because the damn wind never quits blowing down there, a couple inches of snow turns into 2-4 foot drifts in a heartbeat and the little skiff that's constantly blowing across the highway gets packed down with every vehicle that goes down the highway.

dungeonjoe
December 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
One regret I have is not going to Montana a couple of years ago to see the Wofford game. Granted the economy is different now, but win or lose the Montana experience should not be missed. From talking to friends who went, the stadium experience is only topped by the hospitality of the Griz fans.

Go if you can.

The allegra flight looked best then.

It should be one of the best games of the year.

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hey, and you can't call me a bandwagoner...I've been goin to App games my whole life.

Poker Alan
December 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Check Southwest and try to fly into Spokane, you will come over one major pass, but the forecast doesn't look bad for the weekend, regarding road conditions. Southwest usually has lower last minute prices and doesn't charge bag fees.

Cincy App
December 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Best I have found is DC - Seattle for $293.

... That's really tempting.

Have you tried Priceline? I got a flight for less than $400 directly into Missoula.

Also made it to the 2000 playoff game. Great time except for the last play. Griz fans are great!

Can't wait!!

Green26
December 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM
The roads from Seattle to Missoula (and Spokane is on the way) are clear. Lookout Pass was pretty much fine too. I just arrived in Missoula about 10 minutes ago. Seattle to Missoula in the winter is a good 7.5 hours, and 8 or more if you stop for anything other than gas (unless you're driving way too fast).

Mountaineer#96
December 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hey, and you can't call me a bandwagoner...I've been goin to App games my whole life.

After your display this past weekend ....most ASU faithful here would most likely question that. xeyebrowx

wapiti
December 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Had you spun your camera a little left and up, the picture would have a contained a Bobcat too.

89Hen
December 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Just saw a flight from Charlotte to Seattle for $388. But then it's a "snowy" 7 hour drive to Missoula...

Any Montana posters out there know of any cities we could be looking into for flights? Seems like all the rest are averaging $800 and above...
And people were surprised when Missoula was eliminated from hosting the NC game. xsmiley_wix

Poker Alan
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
No realist was surprised

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Allegiant Air has cheap flights into Missoula everyday from Vegas and Phoenix

might check and see how that looks

www.allegiantair.com/

Last year when I thought UNH might get sent to Missoula, I found buying two plane tickets, one to get to Las Vegas and another one on Allegiant (non stop) from Vegas to Missoula was actually cheaper than flying into Spokane or Salt Lake City. And obviously it didn't require a multi-hour drive through the mountains!!!!

HappyAppy13
December 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM

i feel your painxbawlingx

siuham
December 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes we have an airport. How else do you think the eastern cities get "Fresh Montana Beef Steak"!xlolx

A Montana grad in New York, A Floozey, and a lot of Alcohol?

Er....

GunsAndGuitars
December 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Why don't we just all pick a place in Winston/Charlotte/Greensboro, go in mass and demand they put the game on? Just a thought though.

BearGibson
December 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM
As long as I can move a few of my exams I'm driving from Boone to the game. Leaving Thursday evening, getting back Monday morning. 5 guys in a driving rotation. It is going to be the road trip of a lifetime (I hope). Looks to be a little less than $200 bucks a person for the entire trip.

HappyAppy13
December 8th, 2009, 11:29 PM
As long as I can move a few of my exams I'm driving from Boone to the game. Leaving Thursday evening, getting back Monday morning. 5 guys in a driving rotation. It is going to be the road trip of a lifetime (I hope). Looks to be a little less than $200 bucks a person for the entire trip.

thats awesome man!!
i was trying to put together one myself, but just couldnt work it out...oh well

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM

That's frickin awesome. I'm a huge roadtrip fan and that right there is the definition of one. Witht that said just be careful. You'll be traversing some rough areas, especially this time of year. If the weather doesn't look good i'd be hesistant. What kind of car ya got?

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 05:42 AM
That's frickin awesome. I'm a huge roadtrip fan and that right there is the definition of one. Witht that said just be careful. You'll be traversing some rough areas, especially this time of year. If the weather doesn't look good i'd be hesistant. What kind of car ya got?

We ain't go much up in tha 'tains of Appalachia ........it is likely foot powered do we risk it.....?

89Hen
December 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM

thats awesome man!!

That's frickin awesome.
I guess 20 years changes perspective. I can't think of many things worse. :p But hey, have a blast Bear. xthumbsupx

BearGibson
December 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks, I'll be taking a jeep wrangler all the way there, hopefully it'll make it! I'm ready for my 'neers to win a big one.

Bam
December 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM

What out for Borat!

Grabholdofyosef
December 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Why don't we just all pick a place in Winston/Charlotte/Greensboro, go in mass and demand they put the game on? Just a thought though.
We should call ASU and ask them to let us fill Kidd Brewer and watch it on the jumbotron : )

Colleges do that a lot for basketball but sitting outdoors in the cold watching it on a big screen wouldnt be as much fun.

AppIAA
December 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
We should call ASU and ask them to let us fill Kidd Brewer and watch it on the jumbotron : )

Colleges do that a lot for basketball but sitting outdoors in the cold watching it on a big screen wouldnt be as much fun.

Nobody would be able to hear it.. for 1) our PA system in the stadium is awful, and 2) Montana's crowd is so loud, you'll be able to hear it in Boone ;)

Poker Alan
December 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Be sure to save energy for the downtown bar scene in Missoula.

BearGibson
December 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Be sure to save energy for the downtown bar scene in Missoula.

Ha, will do.

HappyAppy13
December 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM

thats a pretty good idea

but, its supposed to be "wintry mix"....which would be a major party pooper since youre not actually at the game.

good idea thoughxnodx

GOKATS
December 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, I'll be taking a jeep wrangler all the way there, hopefully it'll make it! I'm ready for my 'neers to win a big one.

Five in a Wrangler? If you're not close friends by now you will be by the end of a 5,000 mile trip. xnodx:D

Have fun, but drive safe!! Sounds like a great road trip!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Five in a Wrangler? If you're not close friends by now you will be by the end of a 5,000 mile trip. xnodx:D

I was thinking the same thing. He obviously doesn't have much room for luggage and such. I guess if they ever get stranded somewhere in South Dakota they can always resort to body heat to stay warm. :p

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Who is riding skier? xsmiley_wix

Bronco
December 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Last time I took a road trip like this we went off a cliff in Wyoming and totaled the car.
Hope you have good tires...we didn't.

Giant winter storm is hammering the mid west right now and they recommend in many places to stay off the roads.

Some Griz fans drove to Nooga last year and used twitter so folks could follow the adventure and see their pictures.

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Anyone know if Appy sold out their allotment?

HLNgriz
December 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Now that is a trip of a life time, you guys would not regret it!

AppAlum2003
December 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Now that is a trip of a life time, you guys would not regret it!

Yeah, I'm pretty jealous. Did a few things like this a few years ago, but now the wife would not be too happy about it.

Treat this man right when he gets there, Griz fans! (i.e. cold beer)

Apps03
December 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He obviously doesn't have much room for luggage and such. I guess if they ever get stranded somewhere in South Dakota they can always resort to body heat to stay warm. :p

Can't you buy anything you need at Wall Drug?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty jealous. Did a few things like this a few years ago, but now the wife would not be too happy about it.

Treat this man right when he gets there, Griz fans! (i.e. cold beer)

Until last year returning from UNI, I had never driven a long distance West to East in the Winter. If you get a storm moving in that direction, it can be an absolute b$tch to shake. Well, at least you'll have multiple drivers and might be able to get ahead of one and stay ahead of it. Driving solo I got ahead of a storm but had to stop to sleep. The darned storm caught up to me and I had to wait it out. Never did get to do a full day of driving as I always caught up to the dang storm.

I know Boone is in the mountains and all, but while only a infrequent traveler out West during the Winter, I can tell you first hand that the fricking wind blowing across the plains makes any snowstorm even worse and that it snows prodigiously in the Western Mountains. Any storm out there should be given the utmost respect.

Not trying to kill your spirit because I love it. Just be safe!!! And always keep a "co-pilot" awake at all times!!! I may be an old phart, but I've been on road trips! ;) :D

HLNgriz
December 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
You guys have to take lots of pictures along the way and share them with us. It will help us over the hill crowd remember what crazy things we used to do.

AppAlum2003
December 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I can't help but think of Dumb and Dumber whenever I think about driving out to Montana for this game.

"Hey guys, how's it goin? Big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later!"

84Griz
December 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Word of advice, once you get into the weather don't drive with your cruise control on, The worst part of driving in Montana in the winter is the dry roads and then hitting the icy bridges. If you have cruise control on when you hit the ice on the bridge you almost instantly start sliding.

ronpayne
December 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Or what about the Holmes Convention Center? That would be a good place, seats 9k, never full (maybe this time?) and they could make a few bucks of concessions (only problem = no beer. Boo.)

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Are tickets still for sale at this point? I saw that they only had 3,000 left earlier....

HappyAppy13
December 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Are tickets still for sale at this point? I saw that they only had 3,000 left earlier....

last day is tomorrow 9am-noon

^^^from goasu.com

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
You Southern drivers want absolutely no part of the Seattle to Missoula drive in December. Trust me on that.

Iowagriz
December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
If you are driving avoid Iowa. The storm that has hit us overnight has shut down I80 and I35 in some spots. Winds are creating 5-10ft snowdrifts over the roads and highways.

Not sure, but up north might have been partially spared. I94 through Mpls?

Green26
December 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
As I posted earlier, the road from Seattle to Missoula was perfectly clear on Monday evening (when I drove it). I slowed down a bit going over Lookout pass, due to a bit of snow on the edges and darkness. The drive took 7 hrs. and 35 minutes, including stops for a 20-minute nap and 15 minutes to get gas and food. All but 2.5 hrs of the drive was in the dark. I started from downtown Bellevue, so I suppose one would have to add 20 or so minutes from the airport.

kirkblitz
December 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
so you have to fly 2.5 hours(from my location) then drive 3 hours . wtf kind of area is this school in!?!? Why do people go to it!?!?!

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2009, 05:35 PM
so you have to fly 2.5 hours(from my location) then drive 3 hours . wtf kind of area is this school in!?!? Why do people go to it!?!?!

The Airport in Missoula is just expensive to fly to. Nothing more. It's not in the Boonies and it's not in a "small" town. University of Montana is considered by many of its inhabitants to be a "fake" school. By all means you can get an education here, but if you prefer to party and still make C's...this is the place to be.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The Airport in Missoula is just expensive to fly to. Nothing more. It's not in the Boonies and it's not in a "small" town. University of Montana is considered by many of its inhabitants to be a "fake" school. By all means you can get an education here, but if you prefer to party and still make C's...this is the place to be.

Sounds like (drum roll).....................

ASU xnodx

cue beerpong olympics

kirkblitz
December 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
i enjoy being able to fly somewhere and be at the school in 10 minutes. :D

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM
i enjoy being able to fly somewhere and be at the school in 10 minutes. :D

then fly into missoula...you can get to campus in 10 mins exactly probably

fltheadgriz
December 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Remember Montana is a flippin large state. It takes over 11 hours of driving time to go from the northwest corner to the southeast corner of the state
Also it is not worth it to drive from Seattle to Missoula. Way to long of a drive.
Fly in to Spokane if you wanna save money, otherwise fly into Missoula.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Is Montana really looked upon that way? If i could ever find away out there, aka find a decent JOB in Missoula, i would get my MBA through Montana. I have a lot of respect for the school and the pride shown by its alums. That right there is anything but fake.

GOKATS
December 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Is Montana really looked upon that way? If i could ever find away out there, aka find a decent JOB in Missoula, i would get my MBA through Montana. I have a lot of respect for the school and the pride shown by its alums. That right there is anything but fake.

Nope, everything he said is the truth..............................

It isn't called dUMb for no reason..................................;)

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM

It is more of a joke than anything. The school has an amazing liberal art department and one prestigious pharmacy school. Many of the professors currently stationed in Missoula are top notch in sciences that train bees to detect land mines and also purifying water resources. Don't get me wrong, the education is here if you want it. The Business school is another department that is highly regarded, and of course the law school here is small and very meticulous.

Many of my friends love to boast about how we have so much fun and yet we can keep pulling alright grades. We say it is a "fake" school because of all the opportunities for parties and literally never having a dull night. Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere is terrific. A couple years ago it was on the top 25 party schools in america.

It is also referred to as the Harvard of the West though too!

89Hen
December 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
xoopsx I was wrong... I can think of something worse... 5 guys in a Jeep Wrangler driving that far. :p

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
It is also referred to as the Harvard of the West though too!

:Dxbowx

Move over, Stanford!:p