PDA

View Full Version : New Viks Head Coach...?

laxVik
December 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Odd choice IMO. Some grumbling in Vik country...

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126016316653673500

slostang
December 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Odd choice IMO. Some grumbling in Vik country...

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=126016316653673500

PSU went with the sexy pick last time with Glanville and all the fans were excited and we saw how that turned out. From what I hear he is a great recruiter and a good coach.

PS, I have heard now that Glanville is out as coach PSU will play Cal Poly.

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
First "Nigel" to coach a DI football (american football) team? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

FCS Go!
December 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I thought Pflugard would at least be a finalist. I like Burton's credentials and a defensive mindset might help get more wins. xchinscratchx

Big Al
December 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nevada's D terrible against the pass?

FCS Go!
December 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nevada's D terrible against the pass?

Yet another reason to hire this guy!

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
He is a young, 33, smart and energetic coach. It is a good choice.

A bad choice would have been that loser Stan Brock or Al Borges.

I Bleed Purple
December 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ties to PSU, probably has contacts in Oregon due to OSU work, played in Washington, FBS coordinator. Solid pick to me.

nms1987
December 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nevada's D terrible against the pass?"

Yes, last in the WAC. They are first in WAC against the run though.

I wouldn't look too much into WAC defensive ranking since that conference is so WACky (get it?! get it!?) to begin with on offense.
None of the Ds really stop anyone, yet the conference always sends a few defenders to the NFL.

You aren't really hiring the guy for his pass D, moreso for the fact that he seems to be an up and coming coach from a good program who seems to know how to recruit and could run a team well.

JALMOND
December 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Pending an interview with the PSU president...

www.oregonlive.com/vikings/

Most of the grumblings coming from Duck and Beaver fans who feel like their Pac-10 opinions matter in all Oregon college football situations. Its not like they are breaking down the entrances to PGE Park to attend the games anyway. I like the hire. Third ranked defense is a helluva lot better than seventh in the Big Sky where we were last year. He played at Washington and coached at Oregon State so he knows our recruiting area. If he does have aspirations to move on (and who doesn't in this day and age) he will need to show some success at Portland State and Portland State football needs to show some success. We gave the last coach three years, I say lets see where we are in three years with this coach. I think Vikings fans will like it. He also comes from a program and a staff that knows the Big Sky as Ault was the coach at Nevada when the Wolfpack were in the Big Sky. I actually like this hire.

I Bleed Purple
December 8th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Pending an interview with the PSU president...

www.oregonlive.com/vikings/

Most of the grumblings coming from Duck and Beaver fans who feel like their Pac-10 opinions matter in all Oregon college football situations. Its not like they are breaking down the entrances to PGE Park to attend the games anyway. I like the hire. Third ranked defense is a helluva lot better than seventh in the Big Sky where we were last year. He played at Washington and coached at Oregon State so he knows our recruiting area. If he does have aspirations to move on (and who doesn't in this day and age) he will need to show some success at Portland State and Portland State football needs to show some success. We gave the last coach three years, I say lets see where we are in three years with this coach. I think Vikings fans will like it. He also comes from a program and a staff that knows the Big Sky as Ault was the coach at Nevada when the Wolfpack were in the Big Sky. I actually like this hire.

I doubt he completely turns the program around in three years, but I'm willing to bet the program will be in better shape three years from now than what it is now. Couple of 6-5s and a 7-4, maybe? He's got such a mixed bag of talent.

Any ideas on to what type of defense he'll put out there. What about the offense?

JALMOND
December 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I doubt he completely turns the program around in three years, but I'm willing to bet the program will be in better shape three years from now than what it is now. Couple of 6-5s and a 7-4, maybe? He's got such a mixed bag of talent.

Any ideas on to what type of defense he'll put out there. What about the offense?

I doubt he will completely turn the program around in three years. Matter of fact, I don't even anticipate it. Too early to tell who will return for the Vikings, but I am thinking that a bunch of the freshmen who played quite a bit this year will come back. Also, too early to tell what kind of staff Burton will put together. Nevada had three running backs who rushed for over 1000 yards this year, so that in itself sounds different than our run and shoot, which was actually more shooting than running even when Davis was the OC.

Glanville won four games his first year. Given where we ended up, I would say winning four games would be a good start for Burton's tenure. Of course, any more (and a win over Montana at home) would be great. History has showed that it is difficult for a brand new coach to set the conference on fire his first few years. If Burton can get us to 6-5/7-4 by the third year, I'll be happy and I think the administration would be happy, too. Of course, the fan in me wants a conference title in three years, but the insider is saying be happy with 6-5.