PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Football Ain't Going Down Without A Fight?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
http://gothamgr.com/save-hofstra-football/

Hofstra Alumnus and Gotham Government Relations Partner, Brad Gerstman, is speaking out today on the discontinuation of Hofstra University’s Football Program. Gerstman was a member of Hofstra’s Football team from 1986-1989, during which time the team reached the playoffs all four years. Brad is currently one of the founding partners of New York’s fastest-growing government relations firm. He was disappointed to hear the news of Hofstra’s decision to terminate the football program.

“I am deeply upset about this decision,“ Gerstman says. “As an alumnus, former football player and a member of this community, I will personally seek clarification and details on why this occurred. I hope that the University will reconsider this irresponsible decision that ultimately will impact the region in a very profound way, from Long Island high school football players to current Hofstra football players and fans, and many others.”

“The University is part of the fabric of Long Island and I believe this is damaging to Long Island and the reputation of the school,” Gerstman says. “More importantly, Hofstra isn’t simply a small private business operating in a vacuum. They receive grants from our government and decisions made by the administration can and do impact the region. As such, it’s curious to me that as caretakers of an institution which has had football since it’s inception in the 1930’s, they can make such a radical change in a secretive way, without any notice to anyone, input from outside stakeholders, or public debate.”

xeyebrowx xbandwagonx

ronpayne
December 6th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Awesome :-) Good luck!

Tim James
December 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
What are they gonna do with that 13,000 seat stadium ? Certainly soccer and lacrosse dont come close to filling it.

Bull Fan
December 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Don't forget about Margiotta Hall, a primo field house and locker room facility. Hey, stupid is as stupid does....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Question: what's the story with the Jets? Are they definitely gone, or are they still going to practice at Shuart?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://gothamgr.com/media-alert-hofstra-press-conference/

Hofstra Football Alumni To Hold Press Conference Regarding Hofstra Football Program

When: Monday, December 7th at 5 PM (prior to Hofstra Alumni Holiday Party hosted by Hofstra President, Stuart Rabinowitz)

Where: Public House, 140 East 41st Street between 3rd and Lexington Avenues in Manhattan

xeyebrowx

Umass74
December 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Get after 'em Hofstra fans and alumni!

The Hofstra football will be replaced by NOTHING.

At least make the rats scurry for their academic, tenured, holes. At least make the effort to tell them you're pissed. xmadxxmadxxmadx

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
This is going to damage the administration more than they think. Feelings from local high school coaches is that their nationally ranked wrestling program might be the next sport on the chopping block. High school kids and their and families will think twice about the stability of Hofstras atheletics when recruiting time comes. The sad part right now is that many football players will find a home somewhere else so if this is overturned an excellent football program will be in shambles for years to come. I dont know what they were thinking but this put their entire program in jeopardy for funding and recruiting going forward. What a disgrace!

Baldy
December 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Considering I know almost nothing about the background of Hofstra's decision, but where was the concern before the Hofstra president made this erroneous decision?

I find it hard to believe that nobody but the Hofstra administration knew that this was coming.

Talk about closing the barn door after the horse escaped.... xeyebrowx

whoanellie
December 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
What are they gonna do with that 13,000 seat stadium ? Certainly soccer and lacrosse dont come close to filling it. 4k is not filing that stadium is probably a great point to see the local apathy...Boo Long Island!!! Boo NYC

tribe_pride
December 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Question: what's the story with the Jets? Are they definitely gone, or are they still going to practice at Shuart?

Jets training facilities have been in Florham Park, NJ since last year.

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
4k is not filing that stadium is probably a great point to see the local apathy...Boo Long Island!!! Boo NYC

Seriously this is a tough neighborhood. The Phoenix would not fair much better in a mega pro town-even if you won national titles in FCS football. I think the Stony Brook- Hofstra game in September was their biggest draw with about 7100 fans their. We go through the same thing -we had about 4000 for the Liberty game a few weeks ago. Not even a mention on any major network but some good press in the Newsday thats about it and that was a title game. Thats what concerns me about Fordham. FCS scholarship football in the Bronx even with a CAA banner isnt going to fly.

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Jets training facilities have been in Florham Park, NJ since last year.

Actually yes and no. The Jets also use D3 Cortland St in upstate New York. It was what Ryan wanted when he took over. They did look at Cornell and Stony Brook briefly but settled on Cortland to be away from the big city.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Seriously this is a tough neighborhood. The Phoenix would not fair much better in a mega pro town-even if you won national titles in FCS football. I think the Stony Brook- Hofstra game in September was their biggest draw with about 7100 fans their. We go through the same thing -we had about 4000 for the Liberty game a few weeks ago. Not even a mention on any major network but some good press in the Newsday thats about it and that was a title game. Thats what concerns me about Fordham. FCS scholarship football in the Bronx even with a CAA banner isnt going to fly.

For the record, Hofstra outdrew Fordham, Columbia and Wagner last year, and was behind (but not all that far off from) Stony Brook last year. No area school drew more than 5,000 per game last year.

100%GRIZ
December 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Give em Hell Brad!!!

tribe_pride
December 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Actually yes and no. The Jets also use D3 Cortland St in upstate New York. It was what Ryan wanted when he took over. They did look at Cornell and Stony Brook briefly but settled on Cortland to be away from the big city.

Am I wrong or is that only for preseason training?

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Am I wrong or is that only for preseason training?

No you are right. They invested a ton of money in the Florak Park NJ site but used Cortland in pre season . I understand that is a short term solution anyway they may go elsewhere in a few years. Nice to be in the NFL .

zymergy
December 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
What I have failed to see anyone ask in the face of NE and Hofstra's dropping football is how that affected their Title IX status?

Bull Fan
December 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cortland was only done to take the team out of their comfort zones and have them focus. A new coach's attempt at putting his stamp on things. Jets are done with Hempstead, I think they had one practice or scrimmage there at the end of camp to throw a bone.

Baldy.... NOBODY knew this was coming. There was a secret two year review (many people think that was fictitious. Rabinowitz (their scumbag pres) came into power and was known to not be a supporter of athletics, certainly not football. In hindsight, many people saw the handwriting on the wall.... but didn't think the plug would be pulled like this.

The program was cut not as a measure to stave off bleeding, but just a "well I don't like football, so we're going to divert those budget dollars elsewhere". That was his expressed rationale.

So poof! the fans, players and coaches are all transferring ;) It was an assassination.

I can post my true feelings, and boy would they be met with some PC cries, but I don't want to get banned here. Perhaps when we meet up in The 'Boro next year, I will give you my blunt opinion and some stories.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
NOBODY knew this was coming. There was a secret two year review (many people think that was fictitious).

I very, very much want to see this review. Complete with numbers. Theoretically, everyone on the BOT would have seen this review, so theoretically they would have a copy of this document somewhere to make public.

There is a FAQ on the website, but that claims that $4.5 million is the cost of Hofstra football, which can be demonstrated in 30 seconds that this 1) includes scholarship costs of $2.9 million, which would be offered to other students in lieu of the athletes, so no savings there; and 2) also does not include any REVENUES to the program, including student fees, if any, season ticket sales, sponsorships, donations to the athletic program, etc. Most curiously, the EADA report from 2008 reports expenses of $4.4 million for football - and revenues of $4.4 million.

So, yeah, you could say I'm extremely interested in the contents of that study.

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
What I have failed to see anyone ask in the face of NE and Hofstra's dropping football is how that affected their Title IX status?

It was asked in 3 different threads. You must not have been paying attention.

Title IX lawsuit, with the men sueing???

I asked this same ? in regards to NU, and no-one answered. HU was in Title IX compliance, right?, as there was no mentioning of this being due to Title IX problems. So now with eliminating football, if all of that $ is plowed back academics as opposed into other mens' sports or some womens' teams are eliminated, would HU be out of Title IX compliance (not enough funding and percent of the athletes being men)?

I would LOVE to see a reverse Title IX lawsuit. That would be interesting.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1485337#post1485337

What are the Title IX implications? I don't think you can just drop 63 men's scholarships and not change anything else.

P.S. Sorry if it's already been brought up, I didn't read every post.

Not on this thread, but I bought this up on LFN's: "Eastern Football: Endangered Species?" thread and the NU thread last week:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66939&page=22

NU was in Title IX compliance, right? So now with eliminating football, unless all of that $ is plowed back into other mens' sports or some womens' teams are eliminated, would NU be out of Title IX compliance (not enough funding and percent of the athletes being men)?

That would be interesting.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/search.php?searchid=886350&pp=25&page=4

DetroitFlyer
December 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I very, very much want to see this review. Complete with numbers. Theoretically, everyone on the BOT would have seen this review, so theoretically they would have a copy of this document somewhere to make public.

There is a FAQ on the website, but that claims that $4.5 million is the cost of Hofstra football, which can be demonstrated in 30 seconds that this 1) includes scholarship costs of $2.9 million, which would be offered to other students in lieu of the athletes, so no savings there; and 2) also does not include any REVENUES to the program, including student fees, if any, season ticket sales, sponsorships, donations to the athletic program, etc. Most curiously, the EADA report from 2008 reports expenses of $4.4 million for football - and revenues of $4.4 million.

So, yeah, you could say I'm extremely interested in the contents of that study.

I sure would like to hear someone explain the EADA report. This report seems to be one of the most crooked that I have seen in the entire world of accounting.... Far too many schools have expenses and revenues that are equal.... All that tells me is that someone is not telling the truth. It is not all that complicated is it? Either football cost Hofstra nothing as stated in the EADA report, or someone at Hofstra is filing, let's just say, wildly inaccurate reports....

(Of course this in not unique to Hofstra). I would just like to see it explained so that we all understand how the lying, (reporting), is conducted....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I sure would like to hear someone explain the EADA report. This report seems to be one of the most crooked that I have seen in the entire world of accounting.... Far too many schools have expenses and revenues that are equal.... All that tells me is that someone is not telling the truth. It is not all that complicated is it? Either football cost Hofstra nothing as stated in the EADA report, or someone at Hofstra is filing, let's just say, wildly inaccurate reports....

(Of course this in not unique to Hofstra). I would just like to see it explained so that we all understand how the lying, (reporting), is conducted....

Wouldn't this be an ideal time to explain this? The president claims that football is a $4.5 million hole; the EADA reports claim it's breaking even. If the EADA is lying, where is the president getting his figures? If the president can justify his figures in whole or in part, then what is the purpose of the EADA report? All that's known is that both tell a vastly different story.

danefan
December 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
EADA reports aren't that difficult to understand when you realize that the reporting of revenues and expenses is only the costs to the school's Athletic Departments - not to the actual school.

Most athletic departments run a balanced budget because they receive funding from the school to fill the gap between outside revenues and expenses.

E.g. Hofstra spends $4.5 million on football. Outside revenues (tickets, advertising, direct donations, etc..) total $1.5 million. The University kicks in the additional $3 million. The EADA report would show Expenses of $4.5 million and Revenues of $4.5 million.

Its that simple and its for that reason that the EADA reporting is not a good resource for determining the actual cost of football. It is a good tool for determining what a school's expenditures are, but not what the net ends up being.

Bull Fan
December 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Guys, you're looking for answers that don't exist. Rabinowitz isn't a 'sports' guy... Joe Gardi on ESPN Radio this weekend said that he saw this coming, and responded when asked that had Northeastern NOT dropped their program would Hofstra had, he wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Lots of issues around this, and if you really think a bona fide study was put together, I've got a bridge or two to sell you. This was a decision made in a vacuum, by a man with an axe to grind with college athletics and football in particular.

When he first ascended to power, he pushed out the old-line football supporters out the door of the Pride Club, including Joe Margiotta, one of the (if not biggest) donors to the football program. He then pushed out Joe Gardi. These two gents, along with Jim Shuart, the former pres and Hofstra football alum, were responsible for moving HU from DIII to I-AA. Once these three were out of the picture, the contracted hit and assassination of Hofstra football was a done deal.

And f'ck it, while we're talking about it... word has it that Dave Cohen realized it was a mistake to come here, saying to someone that his wife embraced the move back to the Island. Cohen's realization that it was a mistake (in his first or second year) was that the program wasn't being backed by the administration. The poor guy endured 4 years of abuse from a fan base (including me) while probably realizing the days were numbered from the get-go.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
EADA reports aren't that difficult to understand when you realize that the reporting of revenues and expenses is only the costs to the school's Athletic Departments - not to the actual school.

Most athletic departments run a balanced budget because they receive funding from the school to fill the gap between outside revenues and expenses.

E.g. Hofstra spends $4.5 million on football. Outside revenues (tickets, advertising, direct donations, etc..) total $1.5 million. The University kicks in the additional $3 million. The EADA report would show Expenses of $4.5 million and Revenues of $4.5 million.

Its that simple and its for that reason that the EADA reporting is not a good resource for determining the actual cost of football. It is a good tool for determining what a school's expenditures are, but not what the net ends up being.

But Rabinowicz is only reporting the costs from the EADA report of approximately 4.5 million. He's not mentioning the $1.5 million from "outside revenues". And the $3 million is almost completely scholarship aid - which, in theory, would be redistributed as need-based aid to other students, so no "savings". That $3 million kicked in is ALL basically scholarship money.

So it's not like it's useless information. Matter of fact, it can be used to prove that there will be NO extra money for ANYTHING ELSE - as you yourself point out. $1.5 million of lost revenues - 1.5 million of gained expenses = 0.

henfan
December 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM

That's only a correct statement to an extent. It's completely true that EADA summary reports that schools are required by federal law to make publicly available don't show the amount of instutitional funds used. However, the EADA worksheets, which the majority of schools don't make available to the public (because they aren't required to do so), do indicate the amount of instutitional support, as well as providing a more itemized accounting of revenues and expenses. Getting the worksheets is often difficult, unless its required by law in a specific state.

If someone in the Hofstra administration with an axe to grind can get their hands on the EADA worksheets for the last few reporting years, they could help bolster the pro-football alums' case with the public. (HINT, HINT)

HU's decision-making process was certainly flawed, if not shameful. Instutitions of higher learning are supposed to be places that foster the Marketplace of Ideas. Instead, what you have here is a group of people operating in a secrative, nefarious way, with the main intention of keeping constituencies who might oppose their intended result completely in the dark. Heads should roll over this, but I'm not hopeful.

Bull Fan
December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
henfan, if this was the "good old days", there'd have been a horse's head in bed with that scumbag. Remember, Margiotta only passed away last year. Had the old man still been alive, I doubt we're talking about this today. But then again, he was pushed out the door of the Pride Club.

Like I said, if this was 50 years ago, this wouldn't have come to pass....

It's a ****ing disgrace. My morals are not above smirking if I heard some tragic news about that little pussbucket....

Seawolf97
December 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
That's only a correct statement to an extent. It's completely true that EADA summary reports that schools are required by federal law to make publicly available don't show the amount of instutitional funds used. However, the EADA worksheets, which the majority of schools don't make available to the public (because they aren't required to do so), do indicate the amount of instutitional support, as well as providing a more itemized accounting of revenues and expenses. Getting the worksheets is often difficult, unless its required by law in a specific state.

If someone in the Hofstra administration with an axe to grind can get their hands on the EADA worksheets for the last few reporting years, they could help bolster the pro-football alums' case with the public. (HINT, HINT)

HU's decision-making process was certainly flawed, if not shameful. Instutitions of higher learning are supposed to be places that foster the Marketplace of Ideas. Instead, what you have here is a group of people operating in a secrative, nefarious way, with the main intention of keeping constituencies who might oppose their intended result completely in the dark. Heads should roll over this, but I'm not hopeful.

Sounds like the New York State Government - xlolx