PDA

View Full Version : Who plays for the national championship?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
?

AshevilleApp
December 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
My original pick still stands from my bracket!!

App State vs. Villanova

Native
December 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM

App State vs. Villanova

Not for long. xlolx

Gil Dobie
December 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Home field advantage, Montana vs Nova

Native
December 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Home field advantage, Montana vs Nova

The Tribe pull off the "upset" to meet Montana in Chattanooga.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
W&M - App State

Road teams prevail for second year in a row!!!!

wideright82
December 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Two best teams remaining are playing in Villanova Friday night. That being said Villanova vs. Appy St.

UMass922
December 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM

App State vs. Villanova

Same here, and I'm sticking with it. xnodx

bshgriz
December 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Wait.. Neither of ASU or UM is in the CAA.. So umm, I guess I can't vote because only a CAA team deserves to be in the NC.

SpeedkingATL
December 6th, 2009, 07:09 PM
No surprise team in this group. I must go with ASU vs Nova. (homer pick of course) That said any combination would not be a surprise. I can't wait for the Montana vs ASU game in Montana as the last game there was a classic, and also look forward to seeing W&M play as I haven't seen them this year and they appear to have peaked at the right time. I've seen Nova and they are a beast.

MacThor
December 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
The two teams who win this weekend.

ZableNoise
December 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Tough to beat a team twice in one season (Just ask New Hampshire). W&M and Montana.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I am thinking Montana, to many home intangibles including the free drinks at Reds on Thursday night. As for the CAA Showdown, who knows who will win it, only sure thing is that either W&M or Nova will be the National Champ

Poker Alan
December 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I voted Montana v. W&M ... i think the Tribe D is playing scary good right now, even better than the Wildcats...

TheValleyRaider
December 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Same matchup I picked in the bracket challenge: William & Mary vs. Montana

Shaping up to be 2 really great games this weekend xnodx xnodx

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Shaping up to be 2 really great games this weekend xnodx xnodx

I hope we dont have anymore blizzards, bad wx makes for bad football

VUCats02
December 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
As a nova fan, I'm hoping for more blizzards :)

TheValleyRaider
December 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I hope we dont have anymore blizzards, bad wx makes for bad football

You're going to have to talk to a different fan about that :D

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_ap/branch.jpg

http://www.powerandclass.info/ummb_2003/pix2003/11-29-colgate/DSC_0657.jpg

http://www.powerandclass.info/ummb_2003/pix2003/11-29-colgate/DSC_0812.jpg

griz&beer
December 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Montana. & W&M

GOKATS
December 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
App. St. & Villanova with Nova winning the NC.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Montana gonna take AE to the Iceshed

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Montana gonna take AE to the Iceshed

Eh, you said similar things about UR. xcoffeex

MarchingMountaineer
December 7th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Two best teams remaining are playing in Villanova Friday night. That being said Villanova vs. Appy St.

One would be the team that got beat by the team that got beat by a non-CAA this past Saturday? xeyebrowx

Not sure how you rationalize W&M as being better than either non-CAA.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Eh, you said similar things about UR. xcoffeex

you'll have to forge a post to prove that lie you just told

Torgo
December 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
One would be the team that got beat by the team that got beat by a non-CAA this past Saturday? xeyebrowx

Beating a CAA doesn't matter, William & Mary has it tougher because...they...CAA...something...waffles?

I'll go the flip side and say the two best are meeting in Missoula this weekend. All four teams left are great and deserve to be in the positions they're in, and that's that. My vote is for both of the home teams to pull it off.

Husky4Life
December 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Beating a CAA doesn't matter, William & Mary has it tougher because...they...CAA...something...waffles?

I'll go the flip side and say the two best are meeting in Missoula this weekend. All four teams left are great and deserve to be in the positions they're in, and that's that. My vote is for both of the home teams to pull it off.

How about looking at how they are playing right now? I don't think it has anything to do with the CAA, W&M just went on the to the #1 ranked team and STOMPED them (much like they did to a BCS school earlier this year). I would rather be ASU going to Missoula. No disrespect to Montana, but your home field advantage is immense (and being undefeated you deserve it). But I still think the semifinal in Villanova, PA will produce the champ.

jus10asu
December 7th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah Montana has put up a ton of points in the past few games but don't forget that they needed a 40 point comeback to win against SDSU. Annnnnd Stephen F. Austin gave up 10...10 turnovers in their 51 point loss. Montana also almost got beat by a DII team this year. The Apps are rolling and their gonna lay to wood to Montana. Oh and I think Villanova will win too. ASU v. Nova in the final.

wideright82
December 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM

You see how difficult that first sentence is to say? That automatically disqualifies it from being relevant.

I rationalize it because they have given up THREE points during the playoffs. THREE POINTS!!!

JMU Newbill
December 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Montana vs. ASU: Montana is finally playing a good team.... 15 or so weeks into the season. Play this in Boone and you don't even expect this game to be close. Montana has an incredible home field advantage, but the weather won't effect ASU like it would other teams. ASU is peaking at the right time. I think ASU runs them over by at least two touchdowns. I'll go ASU 38, Montana 24. Don't worry, if Montana wins this game, I will officially eat my crow, with a side of STFU.

W&M vs. Villanova... a rematch of the regular season game in the semi finals. Eliminate any home field advantage in this one. Villanova doesn't have one. However, they don't ever seem to need it. Villanova has looked good all year, but so has W&M. I think W&M is playing their best football, which is saying something because they have looked great this year. Can W&M draw on motivation from the past (2004 semi-finals)? Heart says W&M, head says Villanova. I'm gonna go with Villanova 17-14.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2009, 06:49 AM
WM is peaking at the right time, I don't see anyone taking them.

appst97
December 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I find it interesting that after 151 votes, No. 1 vs. No. 2 is the lowest vote getter at 27

MarchingMountaineer
December 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM
You see how difficult that first sentence is to say? That automatically disqualifies it from being relevant.

I rationalize it because they have given up THREE points during the playoffs. THREE POINTS!!!

Which of the single-syllable words did you have trouble pronouncing? If it was the last word, it's a day of the week (hope that helps). Good job counting all the way to three, though. Really.

LeadBolt
December 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
None of these four winning it all would be an upset.

Imho Villanova has the best team left by a nose.

Making a homer pick of W&M, hoping that Villanova is a bit overconfident with having destroyed a very good UNH team that W&M struggled to beat and the fact that they have already beaten the Tribe by 11. Having watched the Tribe Saturday against an excellent SIU team dreaming big.

Out west, two great teams, going with the Griz at home with support from Reds....

jonmac
December 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think we'll be hearing any reports or seeing any photos of App players showing up at Red's or any other fine Missoula establishment (at least I hope not, sheesh). I'm picking App to win by more than a fieldgoal.

Tough to beat a time twice in a season, especially a good one. That's why I'm glad we didn't have to play Elon again. The Tribe over 'Nova by more than a TD.

kdinva
December 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
W&M - App State

Road teams prevail for second year in a row!!!!

Ditto.............xcoffeex

fightingphoenix
December 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
It will be Montana and Vilanova.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM

yep, if they can just get out of the CAA they will take itxnodx

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Montana-William and Mary.

Canyoncat
December 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
The Griz are just rolling right now. I am afraid that App State is running into a buzz saw. Griz win big again this weekend. Mr. Edwards won't know what hit him.

I think a lot of people don't realize just how fast this Griz team is. They match up speed wise with App State. What the Griz are bringing is brute strength and size that plays much better in the bitter cold.

Griz vs Nova and Bobby finally wins it all and moves on.

This Cat fan says GO GRIZ!!!

Tribe07
December 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM

I really hope you are correct. Villanova scares the piss out of me. I think this will be one of the best games of the year, and it could honestly go either way. I realize we have only given up 3 points in 2 playoff games, but that 46-7 win over UNH doesn't look too shabby either.

We've got to execute perfectly. Chatty would be a dream come true.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I'll go with my pick in the bracket manager...

Montana-'Nova

ericsaid
December 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM

That's not true. Considering App beat Richmond and W&M lost to UR? The CAA tag doesn't make you the two best teams.xmadx

Tribe07
December 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Look all 4 teams left deserve to be where they are and picking the "best" team is nearly impossible. That being said, I just feel like IMO 'Nova and W&M want it more. They're hungrier. Neither team has ever made it to Chatty. ASU and Montana go there almost every other year.

Saint3333
December 7th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I think a lot of people don't realize just how fast this Griz team is. They match up speed wise with App State. What the Griz are bringing is brute strength and size that plays much better in the bitter cold.

Montana's DL: 240, 265, 273, 210

Huge guys there, guess ASU shouldn't try to run. A lot of #20 and #14 coming your way.

Montana has played two teams in which they had better athletes (not necessarily football players) at almost every position the last two weeks. This week they will be staring at players with the same athleticism.

Torgo
December 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Look all 4 teams left deserve to be where they are and picking the "best" team is nearly impossible. That being said, I just feel like IMO 'Nova and W&M want it more. They're hungrier. Neither team has ever made it to Chatty. ASU and Montana go there almost every other year.

I think that's a pretty faulty thought process there, especially since no one on Montana has actually won the championship yet. If you don't think they're hungry to go back there for a chance to win it you're a little insane. Different sport, but my favorite hockey team lost the finals in 2007-08 and came back last year like a team that wasn't going to lose again...and their intensity led to a championship. Losing in the finals can be the best motivation possible.

Likewise for ASU...once you taste glory the thirst doesn't go away.

Tribe07
December 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Torgo. Note. HungrIER.

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Montana's DL: 240, 265, 273, 210

Huge guys there, guess ASU shouldn't try to run. A lot of #20 and #14 coming your way.

Montana has played two teams in which they had better athletes (not necessarily football players) at almost every position the last two weeks. This week they will be staring at players with the same athleticism.

Look at our O Line...I think that is probably what he was talking about. Did anyone see Severin Campbell's brother sack Brett Favre last night by the way?

Torgo
December 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Torgo. Note. HungrIER.

And my opinion no team has reason to be hungrier than Montana, who lost a championship last year and has just as many players with championships as Villanova and W&M do.

At the end of the day I think a fan of any of the four schools will find reason why their team will be the hungriest though :p

Tribe07
December 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM
At the end of the day I think a fan of any of the four schools will find reason why their team will be the hungriest though :p

I suspect you are right.

wideright82
December 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I think that's a pretty faulty thought process there, especially since no one on Montana has actually won the championship yet. If you don't think they're hungry to go back there for a chance to win it you're a little insane. Different sport, but my favorite hockey team lost the finals in 2007-08 and came back last year like a team that wasn't going to lose again...and their intensity led to a championship. Losing in the finals can be the best motivation possible.

Likewise for ASU...once you taste glory the thirst doesn't go away.

Have to agree. I had those pens to win it all after 07-08. Luckilly for them they got to play the wings again, though.

I just think the hungry/hungrier/hungriest argument is dumb

GoneTribal
December 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
all of a sudden I want a sammich. All this hungry talk has made me pretty hungry myself.

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Montana losses to its 3rd CAA team in as many trips to the NC [JMU '04, UR '08 & W&M(or nova) '09]

wideright82
December 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
That's not true. Considering App beat Richmond and W&M lost to UR? The CAA tag doesn't make you the two best teams.xmadx

And mcneese beat App State and UNH beat mcneese and W&M beat UNH, what's your friggin point pipsqueak? :D xsmiley_wixxlolxxlolx

CamelCityAppFan
December 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
So at the time of this post, folks are almost split between App & Montana (slight edge to App), but definitely leaning towards Nova over W&M.

Grizlaw
December 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Montana also almost got beat by a DII team this year.

If by "almost got beat" you mean "almost didn't cover the spread," and if the spread was "Griz (minus 37) vs. Western State", then I see where you're coming from.

Otherwise -- wtf are you talking about, man? xlolx

Grizlaw
December 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
P.S. Griz over Villanova in the chipper, with CAA fans and Hauck haters all in agreement afterward that Villanova somehow got screwed. ;)

GolfingGriz
December 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
And mcneese beat App State and UNH beat mcneese and W&M beat UNH, what's your friggin point pipsqueak? :D xsmiley_wixxlolxxlolx

And Montana hasn't lost to anyone...seems like a pretty solid and irrefutable fact.

Black Saturday
December 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
?

It was already played in Richmond this past Saturday.xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
December 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm going with the two teams that have had to travel a grand total of zero miles the entire playoffs.

soccerguy315
December 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
as of now, votes are:

Montana - 106
ASU - 116
Villanova - 133
W&M - 89

Tribe07
December 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I enjoy being the underdog. Worked well for us at SIU.

Canyoncat
December 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Look at our O Line...I think that is probably what he was talking about. Did anyone see Severin Campbell's brother sack Brett Favre last night by the way?

Yep, that is what I meant. The Griz O-line will dominate this game. The game will start out close like most of their games in the first half, but that O-Line will take over in the second half. Their defense is super fast. I don't think Edwards will be able to run as much. Montana has very good coaches that will scheme a way to slow him down. For App to win, I think Edwards will have to have a monster game with ZERO turnovers. The Griz thrive on teams making mistakes. That is due to their crowd and very hard hitting deffense.

HighRyder08
December 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Yep, that is what I meant. The Griz O-line will dominate this game. The game will start out close like most of their games in the first half, but that O-Line will take over in the second half. Their defense is super fast. I don't think Edwards will be able to run as much. Montana has very good coaches that will scheme a way to slow him down. For App to win, I think Edwards will have to have a monster game with ZERO turnovers. The Griz thrive on teams making mistakes. That is due to their crowd and very hard hitting deffense.

Doubt it... You cannot possibly tell me that Montana is the fastest defensive we have seen all year. AE is gonna have a field day!!

HighRyder08
December 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
and good luck on slowing down AE's playing-- every other team we have faced this year (and Socon team the last 4 years) has been trying to do that

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
And Montana hasn't played anyone...seems like a pretty solid and irrefutable fact.

edited xnodx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
AE is gonna have a field day!!

dont be to sure about that, I think weve already seen the best Armanti has to offer

HighRyder08
December 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM
dont be to sure about that, I think weve already seen the best Armanti has to offer

thats what you said in the '07 championship game!!!!! xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
AE is gonna have a field day!!

I dont think so, yawl were ready to castrate him about half way thru that SCST game

Hoyadestroya85
December 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I dont think so, yawl were ready to castrate him about half way thru that SCST game

It's all good, AE's backup is as good as him.. Maybe even better! xlolxxlolx

ngineer
December 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM

App State vs. Villanova

Me too..In fact I have all four in the semis.xnodx

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
It's all good, AE's backup is as good as him.. Maybe even better! xlolxxlolx

who is the backup anyway?

HighRyder08
December 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Travaris Cadet or Deandre Pressley. Jamill (sp?) Jackson will be coming off his redshirt next year and is reported to be a heck of a ball player