PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Conference Team's Support

AtlantaMountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
It always seems to me that no matter how hard CAA teams play each other, when it comes to the playoffs, CAA members always pull for their fellow members when playing OOC teams. To some lesser extent this also appears to be true in the Big Sky. However, in the SoCon, the rivalrys seem so bitter, that other conference teams seem to always pull for their conference rivals to lose in the playoffs. Is this just my misperception or is it a fact? Are the rivalrys in the other conference not as big as in the SoCon. Just wondered if I am the only one who notices this.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
We all pretty much pull for each other in the Patriot League come play-off time.

OL FU
December 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It always seems to me that no matter how hard CAA teams play each other, when it comes to the playoffs, CAA members always pull for their fellow members when playing OOC teams. To some lesser extent this also appears to be true in the Big Sky. However, in the SoCon, the rivalrys seem so bitter, that other conference teams seem to always pull for their conference rivals to lose in the playoffs. Is this just my misperception or is it a fact? Are the rivalrys in the other conference not as big as in the SoCon. Just wondered if I am the only one who notices this.

Hey. I'm rooting for you. Just don't friggin' remind mexmadx

:D

Torgo
December 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
There's a bit of pride that goes along with being in the same conference as another successful program.

For me it all depends on the team. Its a lot easier for me to pull for a Weber State than it is Montana State...

appstate1998
December 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I always pull against everyone from the SoCon. I hate all of them. That would be like Auburn pulling for Georgia in a bowl game or Florida pulling for Alabama.

blukeys
December 6th, 2009, 05:20 PM

You are correct. As Much as one may hate a certain team in the CAA (one comes to mindxrolleyesxxrolleyesx), any serious fan recognizes that the oppostion is loaded with talent. The CAA teams see tough games every week and after the game you just have to hoist a drink to the team that won (sometimes by blocking a short field goal attempt at the end of the game. )xeekxxeekxxeekx

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM

disagree. I saw a lot of ASU fans rooting for Elon in the opening round on here.

I think you just think people root against everyone because they root against you guys. And they only root against you guys because you have been so dominant recently. See: all the people who root against the Patriots and the Yankees.

Sam Minuteman
December 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I root for the other CAA teams in the playoffs, and sometimes OOC such as games against FBS teams. I always figure the better they do the better the conference is and it's better to be part of a great conference than a good one. While it isn't supposed to factor into it but how a conference performs in the playoffs in previous years may factor into a decision the following year come selection time. OOC games help a conference's overall computer rankings since in conference everyone will be .500. With recruiting you sell the school but also the conference, not only will the recruit get a chance to play a FBS team every year but also a couple top ten FCS teams every year and/or a recent FCS champion.

PhoenixPhan
December 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I don't necessarily think that it's SoCon as a whole, just the Elon/App rivalry. I feel like App fans would root for any Socon team except Elon, and vice versa, but haven't been given a chance. IMHO it's a bigger deal for us because the 2 clear top teams are also the 2 biggest rivals.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I don't necessarily think that it's SoCon as a whole, just the Elon/App rivalry. I feel like App fans would root for any Socon team except Elon, and vice versa, but haven't been given a chance. IMHO it's a bigger deal for us because the 2 clear top teams are also the 2 biggest rivals.

What are you talking about johnny come lately? Two points:

1) I was pulling for Elon vs. UR

2) Elon isn't in one of ASU's top three rivals in football and it will take many more years (or a decade) like 2009 before you break into that discussion.

OL FU
December 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM

No offense. I realize there has been a lot of animosity the last couple of years between you guys, but I don't think for a minute that other than a very small minority of ASU fans would consider Elon their biggest rival. And apologies to WCU, but my guess is that it would be GSU. Except for your success the last couple of years, I would suspect you are down around fourth or fifth on the list depending on how old the ASU fan is. xtwocentsx

OL FU
December 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
What are you talking about johnny come lately? Two points:

2) Elon isn't in one of ASU's top three rivals in football and it will take many more years (or a decade) like 2009 before you break into that discussion.

You beat me to it, but I won't delete my post:p

appstate1998
December 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I don't really consider Elon a big rival. They only had a winning record the past few years. I can't even remember the last time App even lost to Elon since they joined the conference. Wonder why. The only other schools I consider less of a rival in the conference is Samford and Chatty.

whoanellie
December 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
disagree. I saw a lot of ASU fans rooting for Elon in the opening round on here.

I think you just think people root against everyone because they root against you guys. And they only root against you guys because you have been so dominant recently. See: all the people who root against the Patriots and the Yankees. only reason ASU people would root for Elon was the chance to play a home game had Elon won.... their so damn good they don't any additional help... excluding their head coach
they just exemplify poor sportsmanship .... App fan photo is listed under "obnoxious " in dictionary. xsmiley_wix

Tribe07
December 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I root for other CAA teams but honestly, it's a little tough depending on who they are. I wanted UR to win, but I really didn't want to play them again.

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2009, 05:58 PM
only reason ASU people would root for Elon was the chance to play a home game had Elon won.... their so damn good they don't any additional help... excluding their head coach
they just exemplify poor sportsmanship .... App fan photo is listed under "obnoxious " in dictionary. xsmiley_wix

When we point out something that your team is doing, year after year, and your fans are too naive to believe it, we get frustrated.

Before our game this year we told you what was going to happen. Laugh, snicker, and tickle each other about it if you want, but what we have told you is the truth.

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
We all pretty much pull for each other in the Patriot League come play-off time.

Absolutely will pull for any Patriot League team, even Lehigh - which is a very bitter rival, as many know. If Fordham ends up leaving, I will still pull for the Rams. And I always wish former PL charter member Davidson well. PL teams are pretty close-knit.

jlcharles
December 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I will not root for Delaware. Absolutely not. Now, the rest of the CAA, yes.

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Why not Delaware? They seem to be pretty nice, looking in from the outside.

PhoenixSupreme
December 6th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've been pulling for App, as I believe in the "root for in-state or conference" philosophy. There is certainly no unwritten rule about pulling for conference or against conference, so I think it usually just comes down to the environment the fan grew up in that decides how they'll root.

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
only reason ASU people would root for Elon was the chance to play a home game had Elon won.... their so damn good they don't any additional help... excluding their head coach

By the way, I and several other people, did root for Elon against Richmond. Not because of a home game, we actually wanted to go to Montana to play.

Like a young brother, your may be obnoxious to us because of your deaf ears, but you are our brother conference school.

SpeedkingATL
December 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I always pull for my SoCon brothers to do well as it is a reflection on the conference. I always pull for any FCS team against any FBS team as I feel it's us against them.

As far as rivals I consider Furman and GSU out biggest rivals over the last 20 years. ECU and Marshall would have been in that discussion years ago as would WCU. If WCU ever gets competitive they will get there as well. The Elon rivalry will take time and as Steve Spurrier once said about Florida and Georgia: "It's not a rivalry if the same team wins every year."

And yes I was rooting hard for Elon against Richmond simply because they are SoCon brother and it would be nice for someone else to knock of a CAA team as it appears that duty usually falls to ASU. It is damn hard to beat 2 or 3 CAA teams back to back.xeekx

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I'll be rooting for Nova, but not this weekend, if you make the finals I have no problem with rooting for youse gize

PhoenixPhan
December 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM

I wasn't clear in my statement about rivalries--I didn't mean historically. I know that App/WCU is a huge rivalry, and some other teams in the SoCon, but honestly, you have to admit that Elon is the team that has actually rivaled you as of late. I'm talking on a per season, per game basis, not throughout school history. This year, App and Elon fans went at it, because no one else in the Socon posed a threat for the championships or playoffs.

No one is saying that all App fans pulled against Elon or vice versa. Just that it's a higher percentage. I thank you for your support of Elon in the playoffs.

appstate1998
December 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
for it to be a rivalry shouldn't Elon maybe win a game against App?

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I think the Elon - App rivalry may have been legitimized this weekend.

I noticed our traditional "Hey Furman, How's Home?" playoff sign has been replaced by a "Hey Elon, How's Home?"

xeekx

Silenoz
December 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Not especially. For instance, if Wofford played Weber State, I'd root for Wofford.

PhoenixSupreme
December 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM
for it to be a rivalry shouldn't Elon maybe win a game against App?

Yeah...I can't call Elon/App a rivalry either unless we actually win about 4 games within a decade period. Elon's really too new in the SoCon (besides Samford) to have a true rivalry against one of the longstanding teams in the conference.

GOKATS
December 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'll root for any Big Sky team except the griz, I rooted for both Eastern Wash. and Weber St. in the 1st round. I never have and never will root for the griz, I hate the bastages.xnodx:p

FTG!!!

jlcharles
December 7th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Why not Delaware? They seem to be pretty nice, looking in from the outside.

Let me backtrack a bit. I would have rooted for them under Tubby, but I can't stand Keeler.

I pulled for App when they beat Delaware.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Let me backtrack a bit. I would have rooted for them under Tubby, but I can't stand Keeler.

spoken like a true Hen fan xlolxxlolx

09griz
December 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I pull for Montana and then App. The CAA likes to tell us we aren't worth the shine on their shoes.

JMU Newbill
December 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I pull for Montana and then App. The CAA likes to tell us we aren't worth the shine on their shoes.

I wouldn't pull for ASU or Montana over anybody (except the Washington Redskins).... but then again.... they aren't worth the shine on my shoes. xwhistlex