PDA

View Full Version : Moment of silence for EIU coach

DTSpider
December 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Before the game at Richmond tonight there was a moment of silence for Coach Hoover from Eastern Illinois. The announcer explained what happened and asked for silence to honor the coach & his family.

Unfortunately - all you could hear in the stadium were loud chants of "A-S-U"

i couldn't believe it. was probably the only downside to an otherwise amazing matchup.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Before the game at Richmond tonight there was a moment of silence for Coach Hoover from Eastern Illinois. The announcer explained what happened and asked for silence to honor the coach & his family.

i couldn't believe it. was probably the only downside to an otherwise amazing matchup.
That was a nice sentiment. Very classy of UR to have the moment of silence.

I will say that, if the stadium's PA system were any louder than, say, my car stereo, ASU fans wouldn't have cheered over it.

The few of us who could actually make out what was coming through the faint static were trying pretty hard to get the folks around us to settle down. Dozens of people around me were going "shhhhh!"

When your coach's wife goes to the hospital with opposing players, the team welcomes opposing players into prayer huddles, and the fans express outrage when music is played while an opposing player is injured on the field, that ought to tell you where our hearts are.

DTSpider
December 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Fair enough - I will say that I haven't seen too many games from the visitor side, but wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't hear it (i.e. - I know that the sound system pretty much sucks). If so - I'll apologize for mentioning it.

As for the players - just a well fought game. I was worried that all hell would break loose when AE wnet airbourne on the UR sideline and took a big (and legal) hit. Hopefully all the ASU guys saw that our coaches made the team give him space and 2 UR players helped him up. I really didn't see any after the play chipiness or cheap shots. Just guys giving it their all. Too bad that one team had to lose.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
That play scared the b'jeebers out of us App fans, particularly since it was about as far away from us as it could be. Armanti could have had multiple compound fractures for all we knew.

I hope I get down to the new stadium sooner or later. Your campus is a gem, one of the most beautiful in the country. I'm sure gamedays down there will be electric.

Great game tonight - I agree with you - it's a shame to see either program's season end this early.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I was on the West side standing up top and I never heard the moment of silence over the PA system.

Grizo406
December 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Coach Hoover was paid the same respect at Washington/Grizzly today.

AppStsGr8
December 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM

That was a great thing indeed and very classy of UR. Unfortunately, I don't think folks beyond the 40 yard line line closest to the scoreboard on the visitor's side heard the announcement. The reason I say that is that I was standing on the 40 and could barely hear the annoucement. I did turn to try and silence some folks when they violated the silence with cheering.

I'm sure UR's new stadium will have great sound and surroundings. You've got a fine team. They'll love playing in an up-to-date stadium. Here's to many great FCS games in Richmond!