PDA

View Full Version : Just for LFN!

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
But 9-2 Central Connecticut State, led by passionate head coach Jeff McInerney will certainly be a tough assignment for the Bulldogs. Unlike Butler, the Blue Devils beat a team from a playoff autobid conference (Lehigh) and played a team still alive in the FCS playoffs very tough before falling (William & Mary). Had they not suffered a 32-27 hiccup against Wagner, they may very well have been playing in the playoffs themselves.

The engine that makes Central’s spread option offense go is running back James Mallory (1,243 yards rushing, 15 TDs). Mobile quarterback Aubrey Norris (1,042 yards passing, 242 yards rushing, 6 TDs) became the full-time starter late in the season, and wideout Josue Paul (779 yard receiving, 5 TDs) is a shifty receiver that can certainly make teams pay. On defense, the Blue Devils boast a tough secondary to crack with safety Alondre Rush (71 tackles, 2 interceptions) and cornerback Marcus Dorsey (32 tackles, 5 interceptions).

Intangibles count for a lot, but Butler hasn’t seen a team this talented this year. As long as head coach Jeff McInerney summons up the passion they’ve shown all year, they should win what could be the final “Gridiron Classic". (Next year, the NEC will get an autobid to the FCS playoffs instead, and the future of the game is in doubt.)

Daddy McInerney 38, Not Voris’ Day 3

Wow, how many more years are you going to keep that east coast bias and underestimate the PFL? Butler takes care of CCSU today, giving the PFL a 3-1 advantage against the NEC in Gridiron Classics.... Here is the real deal.... CCSU has not seen as team as good as Butler this year. Lehigh, please....

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Butler Bulldogs, 2009 Gridiron Classic Champions! Just another routine day in the PFL baby....

And which conference gains an autobid next season...?

Frankly, CCSU would have lost to Dayton, and most likely JU, Marist or Drake....

Hat off to the Bulldogs!

Bogus Megapardus
December 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Congratulations to the Butler Bulldogs!

aceinthehole
December 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
But 9-2 Central Connecticut State, led by passionate head coach Jeff McInerney will certainly be a tough assignment for the Bulldogs. Unlike Butler, the Blue Devils beat a team from a playoff autobid conference (Lehigh) and played a team still alive in the FCS playoffs very tough before falling (William & Mary). Had they not suffered a 32-27 hiccup against Wagner, they may very well have been playing in the playoffs themselves.

The engine that makes Central’s spread option offense go is running back James Mallory (1,243 yards rushing, 15 TDs). Mobile quarterback Aubrey Norris (1,042 yards passing, 242 yards rushing, 6 TDs) became the full-time starter late in the season, and wideout Josue Paul (779 yard receiving, 5 TDs) is a shifty receiver that can certainly make teams pay. On defense, the Blue Devils boast a tough secondary to crack with safety Alondre Rush (71 tackles, 2 interceptions) and cornerback Marcus Dorsey (32 tackles, 5 interceptions).

Intangibles count for a lot, but Butler hasn’t seen a team this talented this year. As long as head coach Jeff McInerney summons up the passion they’ve shown all year, they should win what could be the final “Gridiron Classic". (Next year, the NEC will get an autobid to the FCS playoffs instead, and the future of the game is in doubt.)

Wow, how many more years are you going to keep that east coast bias and underestimate the PFL? Butler takes care of CCSU today, giving the PFL a 3-1 advantage against the NEC in Gridiron Classics.... Here is the real deal.... CCSU has not seen as team as good as Butler this year. Lehigh, please....

Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Butler Bulldogs, 2009 Gridiron Classic Champions! Just another routine day in the PFL baby....

And which conference gains an autobid next season...?

Frankly, CCSU would have lost to Dayton, and most likely JU, Marist or Drake....

Hat off to the Bulldogs!

Did you not see W&M on CCSU's schedule? They are the best team, either CCSU or Butler saw this year.

Congrats on the Butler win, but you are streaching it when you imply CCSU would have lost to Dayton, JU, Marist or Drake. The fact is we will never know how those games would end.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM
The LFN article was a direct dig at the PFL and the PFL's scheduling. Losing to W&M did not help CCSU defeat Butler did it? Yep, Butler played 3, count em 3, Division III teams this year. They won all three games easily. So, did Butler beating 3, Division III teams help Butler defeat CCSU? If losing to W&M and defeating Lehigh is such a great thing, why did CCSU lose to Butler? The PFL plays FCS level football and the team that wins the conference in any given year is a darn good FCS team. We do not have to "justify" ourselves to the rest of FCS, LFN included, by going out an losing to the W&M's of the FCS world. Heck, last year JU went and got crushed by App State.... That did not help them in the game against Albany at all....

You are correct that we will not know the outcome of the other games I mentioned, but my point is that all of those teams played at a level in 2009 that would have made a game with CCSU just a competitive as today's game. Heck, as you may know, Butler beat my Flyers by 3 points with the Flyers being ruled down at the 2 in line at the conclusion of the last play of the game. I would feel pretty good about my Flyers chances against any NEC team, CCSU included. You might also know that JU crushed Butler this year.... I think I would feel pretty good about JU chances in being competitive. Same for Drake or Marist.

The PFL plays good FCS football, and I am tired of folks back door slams. No doubt the fans at Monmouth, Albany and CCSU know it, I just hope we get a playoff bid one day to open up more FCS eyes....

aceinthehole
December 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Flyer you make some good points. But you posted that Butler was the best team CCSU saw all season - that is just not true. W&M, even in a loss, was the BEST team CCSU played, period.

I think much of the PFL problem lies with the Comissioner. I agree with you general point - the PFL deserves better.

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The LFN article was a direct dig at the PFL and the PFL's scheduling. Losing to W&M did not help CCSU defeat Butler did it? Yep, Butler played 3, count em 3, Division III teams this year. They won all three games easily. So, did Butler beating 3, Division III teams help Butler defeat CCSU? If losing to W&M and defeating Lehigh is such a great thing, why did CCSU lose to Butler? The PFL plays FCS level football and the team that wins the conference in any given year is a darn good FCS team. We do not have to "justify" ourselves to the rest of FCS, LFN included, by going out an losing to the W&M's of the FCS world. Heck, last year JU went and got crushed by App State.... That did not help them in the game against Albany at all....

You are correct that we will not know the outcome of the other games I mentioned, but my point is that all of those teams played at a level in 2009 that would have made a game with CCSU just a competitive as today's game. Heck, as you may know, Butler beat my Flyers by 3 points with the Flyers being ruled down at the 2 in line at the conclusion of the last play of the game. I would feel pretty good about my Flyers chances against any NEC team, CCSU included. You might also know that JU crushed Butler this year.... I think I would feel pretty good about JU chances in being competitive. Same for Drake or Marist.

The PFL plays good FCS football, and I am tired of folks back door slams. No doubt the fans at Monmouth, Albany and CCSU know it, I just hope we get a playoff bid one day to open up more FCS eyes....

Butler proved today it has a solid team. LFN was stating his displeasure that Butler played 3 D-III's. No matter how good ir bad Butler is 3 D-III's is pretty embaressing.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Butler proved today it has a solid team. LFN was stating his displeasure that Butler played 3 D-III's. No matter how good ir bad Butler is 3 D-III's is pretty embaressing.

Embarassing for who? Those of you who just know that your team would also lose to Butler?xlolx Guess what, Butler "proved" that they were a solid team long before today. They did it when they won the PFL.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Flyer you make some good points. But you posted that Butler was the best team CCSU saw all season - that is just not true. W&M, even in a loss, was the BEST team CCSU played, period.

I think much of the PFL problem lies with the Comissioner. I agree with you general point - the PFL deserves better.

So, just for fun, since you guys played both teams, how would Butler have fared in a game with Bill and Mary?

hebmskebm
December 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
DetroitFlyer, nobody is saying Butler doesn't have a fine team, or trying to downplay their accomplishments this year. What they are saying is that playing three DIII schools is simply unacceptable.

Basically, what you're insinuating is that it would be perfectly fine for ANY FCS school, not just the Pioneer league, to schedule these lousy DIII games, because it has has no bearing on the overall quality of the FCS team involved. That's simply lousy thinking. No Division I school should ever be playing D3 schools in any sport. You're more or less endorsing schedule padding of the most egregious kind, and then expect to be rewarded with a spot in the playoffs over schools who actively participate against Division I teams.

Look, I don't doubt your passion for your team and your conference, I just think you're trying to rationalize bad behavior.

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
DetroitFlyer, nobody is saying Butler doesn't have a fine team, or trying to downplay their accomplishments this year. What they are saying is that playing three DIII schools is simply unacceptable.

Basically, what you're insinuating is that it would be perfectly fine for ANY FCS school, not just the Pioneer league, to schedule these lousy DIII games, because it has has no bearing on the overall quality of the FCS team involved. That's simply lousy thinking. No Division I school should ever be playing D3 schools in any sport. You're more or less endorsing schedule padding of the most egregious kind, and then expect to be rewarded with a spot in the playoffs over schools who actively participate against Division I teams.

Look, I don't doubt your passion for your team and your conference, I just think you're trying to rationalize bad behavior.

Yeah, it sure is so much better when Murray State goes to Louisville to get killed for a paycheck....

Butler has complied with all of the rules for an FCS team, including scheduling! It really makes a ton of sense to hammer a team for meeting every single rule of the division....

Bogus Megapardus
December 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Embarassing for who? Those of you who just know that your team would also lose to Butler?xlolx Guess what, Butler "proved" that they were a solid team long before today. They did it when they won the PFL.

Probably not a fair comparison because I don't think the Patriot League allows competition below Division 1. I could be wrong, but I heard that somewhere.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, it sure is so much better when Murray State goes to Louisville to get killed for a paycheck....

Butler has complied with all of the rules for an FCS team, including scheduling! It really makes a ton of sense to hammer a team for meeting every single rule of the division....

No one's saying Butler isn't an FCS team (well, some do, but why you would pay attention to posters like that is beyond me). They have and continue to meet all requirements to be an FCS team. However, just being an FCS team does not mean that you make the playoffs. The committee is more than justified in looking at the strength of schedule, and if you honestly think 3 DIII teams doesn't reflect negatively on their strength of schedule well, the sky's probably not blue in your world and we'll never be in agreement. Oh, and the PFL can be in the playoffs anytime they want - just ask for an autobid, like everyone else who has one has done. The only ones keeping the PFL out of the playoffs are the PFL.

401ks
December 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
For the dozenth(?) time...

Butler was 0-11 in 2005.

Schedules are set years in advance.

Butler is now scheduling the Ivy League and the Missouri Valley Conf. to take the place of some of the DIIIs on their schedule. Expect more of the same in the near future.

In order to "play up", someone must "play down". For Butler to "play down" with a local Indiana DIII like Franklin makes TONS of sense for everyone involved on a variety of different levels.

Get over it.

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Flyer, any way you slice it playing 3 D-III teams is looked at poorly and will result in a lack of respect.

I undertstand Butler has history with the teams in D-III they play, but that bond must be broken if they wish to be taken seriously in FCS.

Lafayette played Gettysburg every year for decades, but when the divisions we re-aligned in the late 70's we committed to D-I and they D-III. We havent played them since then. Rutgers no longer plays us for the same reason despite the tradition.

Butler has a great year and has a fine team. Unfortunantly they played 3 D-III's so we dont know how good they really are.

pitpen
December 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
So, just for fun, since you guys played both teams, how would Butler have fared in a game with Bill and Mary?

Nobody has answered this question yet, so I will...the national guard would have been called in some time before the middle of the second quarter.

401ks
December 6th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I undertstand Butler has history with the teams in D-III they play, but that bond must be broken if they wish to be taken seriously in FCS.

A bit of a strong statement, don't you think FT?

FBS schools "play down" to play FCS schools. Are FBS teams that "play down" not taken seriously in the FBS?

Look, I absolutely see the point about playing three DIII teams. That should, and will be ending soon. Personally, I thought that the Albion series was over last year. There is absolutely no reason for Butler to play Albion. But Franklin (for example) is on the other side of town! There is every reason in the world for Butler to schedule one game each year with a DIII team from Indiana.

Butler has a great year and has a fine team. Unfortunantly they played 3 D-III's so we dont know how good they really are

You're not serious, are you? Butler beat eight (8) Division I FCS teams this year. They were the champions of a Division I FCS conference. They beat a (limited) scholarship team who were the champions of another Division I FCS conference. Because "they played 3 D-III's (you) don't know how good they really are"? xconfusedx

I know how good they are.

Good enough.

xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
The rise of Butler's bball program should help their pigskin team imo. Butler has been on the national radar enough years at this point that more and more kids should start to consider them. Plus given the state of football in Indiana right now they could really rise up if they could find a better conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Wow, how many more years are you going to keep that east coast bias and underestimate the PFL? Butler takes care of CCSU today,...

The final touchdown by the Butler quarterback gave the Bulldogs a 28-17 lead with 4:07 and provided a needed cushion against the explosive Blue Devils. Central Connecticut State (9-3) answered with a two-yard touchdown run by Eric Richardson, his second of the game, with 1:55 left, and the visitors had the ball in the final minute, until a pass interception by cornerback Jack McKenna with 0:29 left sealed Butler’s 11th victory.

"Took care of"? You make it sound like it was something in the line of Montana'a 51-0 mauling of SFA today.

Hat off to the Bulldogs!

Absolutely, hat off to them! xthumbsupx They proved me wrong, they deserve to be commended!

401ks
December 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Nobody has answered this question yet, so I will...the national guard would have been called in some time before the middle of the second quarter.

Come on, pitpen. William & Mary wouldn't need the help of the National Guard to beat Butler!

xsmiley_wix

Butler beat CCSU 28-23.

W&M beat CCSU 33-14.

W&M is one of the best teams in the country this year in the FCS, and may have a decent shot at the National Championship.

There are something like 125 schools that play football in the FCS. I would guess that at least 120 of them would lose to W&M on any given Saturday.

I would guess that Butler would be one of them.

One man's opinion.

xpeacex

401ks
December 6th, 2009, 01:44 AM
...Montana'a 51-0 mauling of SFA today.

xcoffeex

This score got me thinking...

Imagine if Montana had beaten Butler (or any other PFL Champion) 51-0 in the playoffs.

Good lord, the crying of gnashing of teeth around here would be HORRENDOUS!

"This proves that the PFL champion doesn't belong in the playoffs!!!"

"Travesty!"

"Non-scholarship teams have no hope of competing with the 'Big Boys'!!"

"Did they have enough body bags for those poor, helpless, untalented PFL players?"

xchinscratchx

If one were to suggest that SFA didn't belong in the playoffs, I'm sure that the SFA fans (and everyone who voted for them in the various polls) might beg to differ.

Apparently, the PFL will be asking for Automatic Qualifier status if the reports are to be believed. When that day comes (and it will), if Montana/App St./Richmond beats the PFL champion 51-0 in the first round I hope that some folks around here have good dental coverage.

Just sayin'...

xpeacex

Franks Tanks
December 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
A bit of a strong statement, don't you think FT?

FBS schools "play down" to play FCS schools. Are FBS teams that "play down" not taken seriously in the FBS?

Look, I absolutely see the point about playing three DIII teams. That should, and will be ending soon. Personally, I thought that the Albion series was over last year. There is absolutely no reason for Butler to play Albion. But Franklin (for example) is on the other side of town! There is every reason in the world for Butler to schedule one game each year with a DIII team from Indiana.

You're not serious, are you? Butler beat eight (8) Division I FCS teams this year. They were the champions of a Division I FCS conference. They beat a (limited) scholarship team who were the champions of another Division I FCS conference. Because "they played 3 D-III's (you) don't know how good they really are"? xconfusedx

I know how good they are.

Good enough.

xpeacex

If Butler replaced one of those D-III's with a team like Western Illinois yes it would give us a better idea of how they stack up again teams in the FCS power conferences. If they dont want to do that...no problem,but just one game like that can answer a lot of questions.

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I would guess just as well as CCSU, a 33-14 loss.

I doubt they would have done wose than Weber State.

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
The rise of Butler's bball program should help their pigskin team imo. Butler has been on the national radar enough years at this point that more and more kids should start to consider them.

It should, but it doesn't....

Model Citizen
December 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM

He's got nine months to come up with a cute way of embarrassing himself with his Drake prediction.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
He's got nine months to come up with a cute way of embarrassing himself with his Drake prediction.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

With the way Lehigh looked this year? I have a feeling Drake is going to be the "Seven Blocks of Granite" when I'm through! xlolx

DUPFLFan
December 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
xcoffeex

Apparently, the PFL will be asking for Automatic Qualifier status if the reports are to be believed. When that day comes (and it will), if Montana/App St./Richmond beats the PFL champion 51-0 in the first round I hope that some folks around here have good dental coverage.

Just sayin'...

xpeacex

401KS, I think it will take time after the PFL is granted a Qualifier to play well in the playoffs. Right now there is nothing much to play for so the scheduling and recruiting show that.. To me, there may be a domino effect here where since the PFL Champion would qualify, they would schedule better teams and better recruits may come their way.

It will take time however. The first teams that qualify may lose by a large score, but I think that in the not too distant future, some good competitive games will be fought.