PDA

View Full Version : Bars near Richmond Stadium lots?

nms1987
December 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Hey, I'm an AppFan coming up for the Richmond game. Since you can't tailgate in the parking lots til 3 or 4 I was wondering if anyone knew of any sports bars in the area.
My plan was to get to Richmond and watch part of the early football games on TV before heading over to the lots to tailgate once they opened.
So, do any Richmond folks know of any places in the area would have...
A. Either a good beer list or cheap beer prices/specials
B. Good food.
C. Most importantly, TVs showing football?

MacThor
December 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM
The nearest sports bars are Mulligan's and Home Team Grill, both on Main Street in the Fan. That's a very long walk to the stadium, though a short drive. Carytown, just up the road from the stadium, isn't really known for "bars" although New York Deli has a pretty good bar. Other favorites, closer than the sports bars but outside of Carytown, are Buddy's and Starlite.

nms1987
December 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I'm also open to places close to I-85 (I'm coming from the direction of NC obviously)

MacThor
December 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I don't know anything about Petersburg sports bars, but that's the closest you'll get to Richmond off of I-85, and you're still over 20 miles away.

nms1987
December 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Should've been clearer. I wasn't trying to stop in Petersburg, I was just saying I was also open to places that maybe weren't in the stadium area but maybe on the way to it from I-85

El_Cid_99
December 4th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Richmond native here... I agree on the recommendations for Buddy's and Starlite...there really is nowhere close enough to walk to/from the game. They are both classic old neighborhood haunts. Mulligan's is okay. Not my favorite place to watch a game. It's always seemed a little grimy to me, in that old sports bar kind of way. But it's even further away than Buddy's or Starlite.

Where you might actually run into some UR students would be City Limits, which is practically beside the UR campus. It is newer and has a ton of flat screens. Plus, when it's time to leave for the game, you could probably follow the UR fans coming from campus.

Unless you're willing to walk from the Carytown area, you will most likely have to drive from wherever you decide to go.

I wouldn't stop in Petersburg, but if anyone on here does, check out Wabi Sabi. It has great sushi, but you need to head to the downstairs bar. It's below ground in the basement, with stone walls. Makes you feel like you're in a cave. Great drinking vibe.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
The nearest sports bars are Mulligan's and Home Team Grill, both on Main Street in the Fan. That's a very long walk to the stadium, though a short drive. .

this guy should not be driving, looks like he plans to be snokered by game timexlolx

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM
All of the bars in Carytown/the Fan are pretty much the same. But hometeam and mulligans are the two "sports" bars.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2009, 06:22 AM
maybe Tiger can drive you to the game

19Duke97
December 4th, 2009, 07:19 AM
The closest bar I know of in the Carytown is Babe's, but I'd skip that if I were you!! xsmiley_wix

In Petersburg is a very cool little British Pub - it's < 2 blocks from Wabi Sabi.

henfan
December 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Penny Lane and the Richbrau are the spots, if you want a good beer.

ur2k
December 4th, 2009, 07:55 AM
The closest bar I know of in the Carytown is Babe's, but I'd skip that if I were you!! xsmiley_wix

In Petersburg is a very cool little British Pub - it's < 2 blocks from Wabi Sabi.

All App fans should go to Babe's - you would love it xlolx . Look it up and you'll see what the joke is.

I'll echo the recommendations of Home Team Grill, Buddy's and Starlite. HTG is the only sports bar of the 3. Buddy's and Starlite are quintessential Richmond bars. I'd also recommend Gus' on Broad Street across the street from the Childrens' museum - sports bar with good food.

All of those bars are within a 5-10 minute drive of the stadium.

If you want walking distance, there are only a few bars in Carytown. Someone already said New York Deli. Double T's (a bbq restaurant) does sell 32 oz beers xcoffeex

MacThor
December 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Penny Lane and the Richbrau are the spots, if you want a good beer.

If you're going to send him that far, might as well add Legend and Capital Ale House.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Babes has one of the largest collections of UR memorabilia anywhere in Richmond. It's usually crawling with Spider fans, so ASU folks might want to keep their distance. xsmiley_wix

Bandito's isn't too bad. Lots of big screen TV's. There's a big ASU Alumni get-together there tomorrow at 12:30. It's less than 2 miles from the stadium.

Sounds like we got the owner to purchase ESPN Game Plan so we could watch other FCS playoff games there.

Oh, and you won't actually be on 85 when you come into Richmond. 85 ends in Petersburg, and you take 95 the last 20 miles or so. Take the Boulevard exit (#78), take a left-right-left off the exit to get to Boulevard going south. Shortly after you pass Stonewall Jackson, Bandito's is a block or two off to the right.

Dukie95
December 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I thought this was about bars on windows...yes, you'll also need to head to the fan for that.

Spiderbone
December 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
the bars/restaurants NEAR the stadium are still about 5-6 blocks away as the stadium is in a residential area. You actually have to cross 195 to get to carytown which is the closest to the stadium. Bars that you can walk from include (these are in carytown)....on Cary Street by the stadium.

Double T's...BIG BEERS and BBQ but a little pricey
CAN CAN...NICE place but definitely froo-froo and french
Carytown Burgers...best burgers in Richmond
Mary Angela's AWESOME pizza and direct walk 3 blocks to the stadium
Thai Diner TOO-obviously the food is thai but the bar in side kicks it
MAMMA thai-another thai place near Double t's more of a traditional bar atmosphere
Nacho mama's-mexican place (not sure if it is still there though)

If you want sports bars, brewery's, etc ALL of those are NOT within in walking distance unless you want to walk 3 miles through the richmond fan in the snow and sleet. xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
All App fans should go to Babe's - you would love it xlolx . Look it up and you'll see what the joke is.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Spiderbone
December 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

ie...not a whole lot of babes at Babe'sxeekx

StonewallSpider
December 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Babes has one of the largest collections of UR memorabilia anywhere in Richmond. It's usually crawling with Spider fans, so ASU folks might want to keep their distance. xsmiley_wix

Bandito's isn't too bad. Lots of big screen TV's. There's a big ASU Alumni get-together there tomorrow at 12:30. It's less than 2 miles from the stadium.

Sounds like we got the owner to purchase ESPN Game Plan so we could watch other FCS playoff games there.

Oh, and you won't actually be on 85 when you come into Richmond. 85 ends in Petersburg, and yout take 95 the last 20 miles or so. Take the Boulevard exit (#78), take a left-right-left off the exit to get to Boulevard going south. Shortly after you pass Sontewall Jackson, Bandito's is a block or two off to the right.

I live close to banditos and always walk to the games, it's not a bad walk.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Are there parking decks close to Bandito's?

I think I'm going to go there before the game and have some drinks and watch some football. I'd like to be able to walk to the stadium... but, need a place I can park for a few hours so I don't get towed.

Thanks! Can't wait for the game! :D

StonewallSpider
December 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I think I'm going to go there before the game and have some drinks and watch some football. I'd like to be able to walk to the stadium... but, need a place I can park for a few hours so I don't get towed.

There's a parking lot across the street from banditios that most people use. It belongs to a church but I believe they allow banditos patrons to park there as long as they are out by Sunday morning.

Bam
December 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Watch some games? I have to work till 6 pm xbawlingx & tommorow is one of the better football tv days of the yr. (i.e. FCS tourney, Big East, SEC, & list goes on) I am out of time off. xoopsx

nms1987
December 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
"this guy should not be driving, looks like he plans to be snokered by game time"

Yes, trying to grab a meal and a beer while watching a football game as I wait to go to another football game means i'm trying to get trashed. Totally.

What a moron.

nms1987
December 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for your tips!

I'm going to look into a few of these places for tmrw.
Go apps!

argh!
December 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
ask the sfa guys.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Park a few blocks South of Bandito's - in other words, drive past it and walk back. Lots of on-street parking. Carytown has a few public decks. Go past the turn for Bandito's on Boulevard, turn right on Ellwood, then left on Sheppard.

There's a deck there - a 5-7 minute walk back to Bandito's and maybe a 10 minute walk from the deck to the stadium

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2009, 06:45 PM
"this guy should not be driving, looks like he plans to be snokered by game time"

Yes, trying to grab a meal and a beer while watching a football game as I wait to go to another football game means i'm trying to get trashed. Totally.

What a moron.

I am deeply offended,

lets see, bad weather, a few xbeerchugx, police know out of towners coming in for a footabll game

just be safe xpeacex

Tribe07
December 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I drank away my sorrows at Legend Brewing Co. with some fellow Tribe fans after the UR-W&M game a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic place.

19Duke97
December 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Park a few blocks South of Bandito's - in other words, drive past it and walk back. Lots of on-street parking. Carytown has a few public decks. Go past the turn for Bandito's on Boulevard, turn right on Ellwood, then left on Sheppard.

There's a deck there - a 5-7 minute walk back to Bandito's and maybe a 10 minute walk from the deck to the stadium

If you all are going to be over by Bandito's I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Chiocca's. Much cooler, much more Richmond classic (no offense Bandito's). They have good sandwiches too - family run joint that's literally in a basement.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
If you all are going to be over by Bandito's I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Ciocca's. Much cooler, much more Richmond classic (no offense Bandito's). They have good sandwiches too - family run joint that's literally in a basement.

Do they have t.v.'s and beer?

19Duke97
December 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Do they have t.v.'s and beer?

Of course. :) Half the joint is a bar. It is fairly small though - that's the only negative, it's more of an old school place, you just have to see it to understand. Check out http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/358639 for more rec's.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM
If you all are going to be over by Bandito's I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Chiocca's. Much cooler, much more Richmond classic (no offense Bandito's). They have good sandwiches too - family run joint that's literally in a basement.
Driven by there 100 times, never been in. Will have to check it out.

MacThor
December 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Driven by there 100 times, never been in. Will have to check it out.

It's wayyyyyyyyyy better than Bandito's, but it has fewer TV's.

ur2k
December 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
It's wayyyyyyyyyy better than Bandito's, but it has fewer TV's.

Very Very different places, great sandwiches at Chiocca's