PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING CAA NEWS

CSN-info
December 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66953

No divisions in 2010 and an 8 game round robin in the CAA. More later as it breaks.

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
nevermind

T-Dog
December 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
This means two schools in what was the CAA South will not play each other next year? $5 says it's a Towson game as there is no way any of the Richmond/W&M/JMU/Delaware combination of games will not happen.

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
This means two schools in what was the CAA South will not play each other next year? $5 says it's a Towson game as there is no way any of the Richmond/W&M/JMU/Delaware combination of games will not happen.

I'm sure they will try to limit flights by the northern schools and add one for the southern schools

CSN-info
December 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
The CAA is no longer the largest league in the FCS. They and the SWAC both have 10 teams as it stands now.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
The CAA is no longer the largest league in the FCS. They and the SWAC both have 10 teams as it stands now.

Largest conference that participates in the playoffs is a fine distinction for a year. And then we go back to being the biggest when ODU comes on board in 2011.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
pretty crazy how football CAA schools are just plain falling off the map as schools in the south keep adding football programs..........

CSN-info
December 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Largest conference that participates in the playoffs is a fine distinction for a year. And then we go back to being the biggest when ODU comes on board in 2011.

That is incorrect. The SWAC participates in the playoffs, except for teams that have conflicting dates. The CAA can correctly be called the largest FCS AQ conference. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
pretty crazy how NORTHEAST football CAA schools are just plain falling off the map as schools in the south keep adding football programs..........

I think these schools have made a HUGE mistake. If they don't want to "keep up with the Jones's" in the CAA that's fine, but dropping football completely might come back to bite them in a few. Just ask ETSU.

dgreco
December 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM

MEAC and PFL are both 10 member leagues.

Dignan
December 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think these schools have made a HUGE mistake. If they don't want to "keep up with the Jones's" in the CAA that's fine, but dropping football completely might come back to bite them in a few. Just ask ETSU.

Dude, are you from Johnson City? I used to live there. By the way, check your private messages.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Dude, are you from Johnson City? I used to live there. By the way, check your private messages.

I live in Kingsport, grew up in Bristol and shop in JC. I got the PM, just need to get back to you.

Dignan
December 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I live in Kingsport, grew up in Bristol and shop in JC. I got the PM, just need to get back to you.

So then you're a true tri-city guy.

No worries, I just don't know if it sends any notifications when you receive a PM.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
So then you're a true tri-city guy.

No worries, I just don't know if it sends any notifications when you receive a PM.

Yep. Was just smart enough to head up the road for school.:D

CSN-info
December 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
MEAC and PFL are both 10 member leagues.

That is only partially correct. The MEAC finished their season and now has only nine teams. WSSU has returned to D-II football. While the PFL has 10 teams, they do not have 10 "core" members yet.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM

The difference in the northeast is that a number of like schools are getting along fine- and have been for a number of years- without football.

I don't think that is solely because the hockey season runs from October-March, but it helps. BU and Vermont both pull in 5,000+ every Friday and Saturday night through the winter. Quinnipiac just built a beautiful new facility, and are #4 in the nation. It seems to make little sense to have 1,500 people come out six times a year and lose oodles of money if you can have 5,000 come out 15-20 times a year and lose less or even make some money.

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Wow..

GeeWiz
December 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
The difference in the northeast is that a number of like schools are getting along fine- and have been for a number of years- without football.

I don't think that is solely because the hockey season runs from October-March, but it helps. BU and Vermont both pull in 5,000+ every Friday and Saturday night through the winter. Quinnipiac just built a beautiful new facility, and are #4 in the nation. It seems to make little sense to have 1,500 people come out six times a year and lose oodles of money if you can have 5,000 come out 15-20 times a year and lose less or even make some money.

Ccd494,

I hope your President doesn't have any news for CAA Commish Tom Yeager next week ...

... Same goes for you Cobblestone and your URI Rams.

Wildcat80
December 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Can our nova readers add any opinions based on experience dropping Div 1 football and then returning as 1AA? Does anyone think these two will be back as D-3 or nonscholarship?xbawlingx

kdinva
December 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
That is incorrect. The SWAC participates in the playoffs, except for teams that have conflicting dates.

Do those who choose to have "conflicting dates" do so with a 357 magnum pointed at their head?:p

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Can our nova readers add any opinions based on experience dropping Div 1 football and then returning as 1AA? Does anyone think these two will be back as D-3 or nonscholarship?xbawlingx

I don't think DIII is an option unless all sports go there

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
That is only partially correct. The MEAC finished their season and now has only nine teams. WSSU has returned to D-II football. While the PFL has 10 teams, they do not have 10 "core" members yet.

WSSU is technically considered a "MEAC" until July 2010 and then NCCU will take their place.

UncleSam
December 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
CAA commissioner Tom Yeager said yesterday that the league will drop the divisions and that it's unlikely that another team would be added to the conference.

Yeager said that, next fall, CAA teams will play an eight-game league schedule, which is now being drawn up, and there will not be North and South divisions. Delaware was originally slated to play Northeastern but not Hofstra in 2010.

Old Dominion will begin CAA play in 2011 and Georgia State joins in 2012, returning the CAA to its 12-team bulk. What divisional shape the league will take in those years will be determined later, and it's unlikely another team will be added, Yeager added.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091204/SPORTS07/912040353/1028/Hofstra-drops-football-program

Dukie95
December 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
There are going to be some teams with sick schedules next year!

Who wants to volunteer to miss Towson or URI?

GoneTribal
December 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Not it! xnonox

JMUNJ08
December 4th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Towson's are rivalry week game! We can't give that up! Plus we haven't seen or had the pleasure of playing URI since '07! We can't miss these 2...