PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Open Letter

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
An Open Letter to the Hofstra Community:

After a comprehensive review, the Board of Trustees has, at my recommendation, voted unanimously to eliminate our intercollegiate football program in order to redirect those resources toward academic initiatives and need-based scholarships.

This decision is not a budget reduction, but rather a strategically driven reallocation of resources. We have no plans for any further major changes to our Division I athletics program, which we believe is an integral part of a fully textured university experience. We will continue to host 17 intercollegiate sports and to continue to invest significantly in our athletics program. However, at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) level, football could not attain significant national recognition, and it has had low student, community and media interest, attendance and financial support. In addition, the football program, the largest of the athletic programs, is by far the most expensive. In the end, we could not continue to justify the expense of football compared to the benefits it brought to the University.

http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/news_update_120309.html

appirishmen
December 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
wow. what bs

TheBisonator
December 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Wayne Chrebet must be furious right now.

We're sorry to hear this. Best wishes for the future for Hofstra.

Redbird Ray
December 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry Hofstra. :(

You're all welcome on the Illinois State bandwagon! :)

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Marques Colston...the Schulters...etc..........

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Dear Hofstra Community,

F U

Signed,
Hofstra Administration

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Dear Hofstra Community,

F U

Signed,
Hofstra Administration

I knew the letter could be shorter and still have the same message...

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
An Open Letter to the Hofstra Community:

After a comprehensive review, the Board of Trustees has, at my recommendation, voted unanimously to eliminate our intercollegiate football program in order to redirect those resources toward academic initiatives and need-based scholarships.

This decision is not a budget reduction, but rather a strategically driven reallocation of resources. We have no plans for any further major changes to our Division I athletics program, which we believe is an integral part of a fully textured university experience. We will continue to host 17 intercollegiate sports and to continue to invest significantly in our athletics program. However, at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) level, football could not attain significant national recognition, and it has had low student, community and media interest, attendance and financial support. In addition, the football program, the largest of the athletic programs, is by far the most expensive. In the end, we could not continue to justify the expense of football compared to the benefits it brought to the University.

http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/news_update_120309.html

Like any other Hoftra sports (soccer, wrestling, Field Hockey etc.) get any media attention or people at thge games. xmadx

jlcharles
December 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Two teams in one year. Wow.

Both are from the North, so who makes the move to the North next year?

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Like any other Hoftra sports (soccer, wrestling, Field Hockey etc.) get any media attention or people at thge games. xmadx

In their defense, none of those sports comes anywhere near the cost of football.

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Holy Cow! I am stunned!! That football stadium is beautiful. They think they are going to fill the stands for lacrosse games?? Wow wow wow. I really can't believe this.

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Two teams in one year. Wow.

Both are from the North, so who makes the move to the North next year?

The CAA will be a ten member conference in 2010 and as such probably drop the divisions and adapt an eight game league schedule. That would require each school to skip one league member, but play the remaining eight.

Once ODU and Georgia St come in, the two divisions could be back, with the new schools added to the South and UD and Nova moved to the North.

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
In their defense, none of those sports comes anywhere near the cost of football.

But put them all together and they dont draw as well as football.

There is no defense. Dont start a program you arent 100% behind for the long haul...its a freaking tease.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM

There is no defense. Dont start a program you arent 100% behind for the long haul...its a freaking tease.

I agree the other sports don't draw (although you could make a case that men's lacrosse and men's basketball certainly do outdraw football, certainly together), but that's not the point. Those other sports cost pennies compared to football - they don't have to draw. Football costs a fortune and has to return something.

As for starting a program, well, Hofstra's had football since 1937 - I doubt they had a good vision of what the program was going to be 72 years later.

kdinva
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Dear Hofstra Community,

F U

Signed,
Hofstra Administration

xthumbsupxxbowxxoopsx

NHwildEcat
December 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM

Absolutely.

kdinva
December 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
The CAA will be a ten member conference in 2010 and as such probably drop the divisions and adapt an eight game league schedule. That would require each school to skip one league member, but play the remaining eight.

Once ODU and Georgia St come in, the two divisions could be back, with the new schools added to the South and UD and Nova moved to the North.

this proposal makes great sense.xthumbsupx..........ain't no other way to do it......have a single division of 11 teams (ala the Big 10) in 2011, with the same requirement of playing 8.xpeacex

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
This really sucks for the Hofstra community.... I'm sorry for you guys.

At the same time, without knowing specifics, I don't think it's fair to really blast the administration for doing what it felt it had to do (if the finances aren't there). It's tough to expect a school to operate a program at a big loss year after year ad infinitum. It sucks that this was the end result, but maybe they really had no other choice.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
This essentially opens the door for Villanova and Delaware to move to the north.. I don't know whether that's the plan, but it makes sense I guess.

Wildcat80
December 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
As a successful businessperson who played scholarship football I see the advantages of scholarship football on these campuses. IMO there is a big difference between the contributions of 63 scholarship players and those of 63 random need-based students getting aid. IMO the same amount of aid money should go to well-rounded, driven, smart student-athletes every time. Is this really just the first step down the slippery slope of Hofstra & Northeastern becoming glorified community colleges?

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
hold the phone what would it cost to have their stadium moved piece by piece to durham NH? we could really use it.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
As a successful businessperson who played scholarship football I see the advantages of scholarship football on these campuses. IMO there is a big difference between the contributions of 63 scholarship players and those of 63 random need-based students getting aid. IMO the same amount of aid money should go to well-rounded, driven, smart student-athletes every time. Is this really just the first step down the slippery slope of Hofstra & Northeastern becoming glorified community colleges?

It's not like there aren't plenty of good schools out there that don't play football - John's Hopkins, the University of Chicago, Swarthmore, Drexel, Boston U, Davidson, etc. And there's plenty of schools that have football teams that don't carry 63 scholarships that are great universities as well - believe it or not, there's a whole world out there that doesn't really follow football at all.

UNH 40
December 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
hold the phone what would it cost to have their stadium moved piece by piece to durham NH? we could really use it.

I like that idea... I feel sick for the athletes in this situation, can't imagine getting completely disrespected by the college that I chose in good faith to dedicate my life and time to only to have the rug pulled out from underneath me. Best of luck to all of the athletes in there program in make the best of this crappy situation.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I already called the university and told them to remove me from all future mailings. My allegiance to the school is now over.

OL FU
December 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
I hate it for the Hofstra fans. But it does bring to mind one very solid and important point. Attendance mattersxnodx I think Hofstra's attendance has been about 4000 or so. Not horrible compared to some but......

Sorry guys, it certainly sucks that this has happened.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Very sorry to hear about this Uncle Buck :( It's a shame that football is made into a pariah when schools are desperate to find ways to cut costs. Hofstra has just lost a true fan with the regrettable decision they made today.

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I thought about you right away unclr buck. I am very very sorry for your loss. This is a terrible situation. That beautiful stadium will now go to waste.

colorless raider
December 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
It's not like there aren't plenty of good schools out there that don't play football - John's Hopkins, the University of Chicago, Swarthmore, Drexel, Boston U, Davidson, etc. And there's plenty of schools that have football teams that don't carry 63 scholarships that are great universities as well - believe it or not, there's a whole world out there that doesn't really follow football at all.

Johns Hopkins is playing in the Div III championships,

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
You guys are the best, because i am dying right now. What they hell do i do come September. Looks like i'm a stony brook fan from here on out.

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah I was gonna just mention that. JHU does still play football.

401ks
December 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM

xcoffeex

xoopsx

xpeacex

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Dear Hofstra Community,

F U

Signed,
Hofstra Administration
What does Furman have to do with this. xlolxxlolx

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hoftra fans & football alumni,

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel, it really sucks!

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I agree the other sports don't draw (although you could make a case that men's lacrosse and men's basketball certainly do outdraw football, certainly together), but that's not the point. Those other sports cost pennies compared to football - they don't have to draw. Football costs a fortune and has to return something.

As for starting a program, well, Hofstra's had football since 1937 - I doubt they had a good vision of what the program was going to be 72 years later.

Hoftsra moved from D-III FB to FCS in about 1991.

So no not 1937 , but in 1991 Hoftsra made the commitment to play FCS football. To make an abrupt shift less than two decades later is a slap in the face to all the players and coaches who worked hard to move Hofstra football to the FCS.

Moving a program to D-I should be a long term investment by the university and not something to be dropped on a whim. They understood the costs and benefits in the early 90's and choose to move forward. Dropping it now is inexcusable.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM

I think Johns Hopkins plays D3 football. I thought I saw their score come across for the playoffs.

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
I think Johns Hopkins plays D3 football. I thought I saw their score come across for the playoffs.

Hopkins and Davidson play football.

Gannonfan has no clue what he is talking about, but that doesnt stop him from blabbing.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
This really sucks for the Hofstra community.... I'm sorry for you guys.

At the same time, without knowing specifics, I don't think it's fair to really blast the administration for doing what it felt it had to do (if the finances aren't there). It's tough to expect a school to operate a program at a big loss year after year ad infinitum. It sucks that this was the end result, but maybe they really had no other choice.

The EADA report for Hofstra, which was the first link I pulled once I heard, said they spent $4.5 million on football and brought in $4.5 million from football - in theory, balancing the balance sheet.

It should be called out or what it is - a president who wanted to pull the plug on football, and got away with it. Costs are just an excuse.

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

Gannonfan has no clue what he is talking about, but that doesnt stop him from blabbing.

How could a Delaware guy not know that Johns Hopkins is playing a big DIII playoff game in DELAWARE this week vs Wesley College?

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

I agree with you and want to add to this that football programs draw a large number of good students to a lot of schools because they are in search of the full "college" experience. At least in the south that usually has something to do with football games and tailgating. Ya'll folks up north may not experience that, but at least down here you may notice the trend that most schools in the south who are without football are driving to add it (UNC Charlotte, Georgia State to name two)..........I think the administration may have made a mistake and the school overall will likely suffer as a result.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Johns Hopkins is playing in the Div III championships,

Yeah I was gonna just mention that. JHU does still play football.

xcoffeex

xoopsx

xpeacex

How could a Delaware guy not know that Johns Hopkins is playing a big DIII playoff game in DELAWARE this week vs Wesley College?

Technically speaking, I was responding to the person that said that not having at least a 63 man, full scholarship football team was the first step on a slippery slope to being a glorified community college. To my knowledge, John's Hopkins is not that.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
I already called the university and told them to remove me from all future mailings. My allegiance to the school is now over.

I would have done the same.......I would go a step further as to show up at all alum functions to and shout "I won't pay till football plays!!!" and encourage other alums to jump in the same boat.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Really, you want to get all prissy over this? From the same guy who couldn't understand that Hofstra could keep sports that draw much less than football in attendance simply because they cost a fraction that football costs? I don't recall embarassing you about that but in retrospect, maybe I should've emulated your own smugness. :p

LawDutch
December 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
You guys are the best, because i am dying right now. What they hell do i do come September. Looks like i'm a stony brook fan from here on out.

Don't say that!!!

This is an awful day in Hofstra history. To use the guise that this is a business decision is pathetic. Everything in college runs on a loss, that's what tuition is for. And Hofstra's undergrad tuition has jumped roughly 30% since I was a freshman in 2005. Hell I'm paying 42k for sub-par facilities at law school right now, the school has the money.

Even with the lack of fan support, the football team created a sense of community at Hofstra. The Board of Trustees is retarded if they think this doesn't hurt the other athletic programs as well, none of the football money is going to athletics.

Overall I'm just embarrassed that our program failed.

Dutch Forever.

bunny
December 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
The EADA report for Hofstra, which was the first link I pulled once I heard, said they spent $4.5 million on football and brought in $4.5 million from football - in theory, balancing the balance sheet.

It should be called out or what it is - a president who wanted to pull the plug on football, and got away with it. Costs are just an excuse.

Here's the link to look up EADA information...
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

For the 2008-2009 season at Hofstra, football expenses were $4,438,500. Not coincidentally, revenues were also $4,438,500.

From the glossary the definition of revenues is "All revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, contributions from alumni and others, institutional royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sport camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities."

So, not all of that $4,438,500 revenue is directly attributable to the football team. It's more likely that a chunk of that came in the form of university subvention (direct support from the university). This chunk of money won't disappear if the football team is cut. Rather, it will be redirected to other sports/academics/whatever.

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Really, you want to get all prissy over this? From the same guy who couldn't understand that Hofstra could keep sports that draw much less than football in attendance simply because they cost a fraction that football costs? I don't recall embarassing you about that but in retrospect, maybe I should've emulated your own smugness. :p

I understand Gannon Fan. You dont understand my point.

Footbal may cost a lost more than these other sports, but it still draws much more interest.

Probably 100 fans show up for a Hofstra soccer game. If you divide money spent by number of fans at the game, Football probably still comes out way ahead over a lot of Hoftsra sports.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Here's the link to look up EADA information...
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

For the 2008-2009 season at Hofstra, football expenses were $4,438,500. Not coincidentally, revenues were also $4,438,500.

From the glossary the definition of revenues is "All revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, contributions from alumni and others, institutional royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sport camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities."

So, not all of that $4,438,500 revenue is directly attributable to the football team. It's more likely that a chunk of that came in the form of university subvention (direct support from the university). This chunk of money won't disappear if the football team is cut. Rather, it will be redirected to other sports/academics/whatever.

Good luck keeping those student fees up for that new international studies center... but I understand. I do know the number isn't $4 million getting pumped in every year by the state.

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
geez, i know we all love FCS football, but some on here are making the administration out to be evil or something.

they're not evil, they made a financial decision. if times are tight, can't say i blame them. and they're right, hofstra hasn't done a lot in terms of team success. sounds like there's not a lot of student/community support either, at least not enough to justify the expense.

sucks guys, i feel bad for ya. at least it temporarily relieves the CAA logjam of teams. meaning, the number of teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
geez, i know we all love FCS football, but some on here are making the administration out to be evil or something.

they're not evil, they made a financial decision. if times are tight, can't say i blame them. and they're right, hofstra hasn't done a lot in terms of team success. sounds like there's not a lot of student/community support either, at least not enough to justify the expense.

sucks guys, i feel bad for ya. at least it temporarily relieves the CAA logjam of teams. meaning, the number of teams.

If it's true they made a financial decision, why did no other sport feel the knife? Why didn't they cancel cross-country basketball trips next year to Kansas or cancel a bracket-buster game? Why didn't they discontinue wrestling - why football?

This wasn't an economic decision.

nwFL Griz
December 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'm no CAA fan, but I absolutely hate to see programs dropped. Both Northeastern and Hofstra have made decisions based on what they felt was best for their schools, but I think we can all agree that we don't have to like it.

Huskies and Dutchmen (will always be Flying Dutchmen to me), my heart is with you guys.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
If it's true they made a financial decision, why did no other sport feel the knife? Why didn't they cancel cross-country basketball trips next year to Kansas or cancel a bracket-buster game? Why didn't they discontinue wrestling - why football?

This wasn't an economic decision.

Because football is the most expensive sport. It requires the most scholarships, the most equipment, the most facility maintenance, and the most coaches.

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Because football is the most expensive sport. It requires the most scholarships, the most equipment, the most facility maintenance, and the most coaches.

Well yes, but is still is the most visible sport for them.

How many times has Hofstra been mentioned on TV when Chrebet or Coulston made a big play.

The attendance may be poor, but the publicity football brought to Hoftsra was unmatched by any other sport.

Kymermosst
December 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
I just got out of a meeting with one of the VPs on campus who knows a lot more about the decision than what is being published. She added a bit more to the picture, but not a whole lot.

For starters, and this is part of what is being published in all of the releases, the university is in good financial health and is simply redirecting that $4.5M. They are still honoring all of the scholarships, unless the student transfers, and they are still honoring the contracts of the coaching staff through the end of the fiscal year, or until the coaches find new positions. Whichever comes first.

Any of the money that they save will be directed to other academic enhancements (she specifically mentioned science/engineering facilities) as well as need-based financial aid, which Hofstra apparently doesn't offer right now.

This was a unanimous decision by the board of trustees that was made last night, and announced today. The football players weren't informed in advance, but were pulled from their classes today for various meetings/counseling sessions and some have already been on the phone with other coaches (I don't know any names).

I have to say that, in my opinion, the university made a rash, poorly thought-out decision and I don't agree with it at all. But I do give them credit for the way they are handling everything in the aftermath. I already mentioned the football players, but they also held a meeting for us in Spirit Support, and I know there were meetings with all of the Residence Hall Staff, the Student Government executives, the Student Affairs staff, and even the head of Greek Life. Someone somewhere along the way seems to have really thought about how far this would ripple so fast.

jlcharles
December 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
So now that they dropped those 63 male scholarships, are they going to also drop 63 female scholarships and direct that money to studies?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
This was a unanimous decision by the board of trustees that was made last night, and announced today.

Acting on a recommendation from Rabinowitz, Hofstra's president. He made the suggestion, and the BOT acted on it. An important point.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
For starters, and this is part of what is being published in all of the releases, the university is in good financial health and is simply redirecting that $4.5M. They are still honoring all of the scholarships, unless the student transfers, and they are still honoring the contracts of the coaching staff through the end of the fiscal year, or until the coaches find new positions.

The number $4.5 million is bandied about an awful lot by all these pinheads. That's the sum total of all the expenses of last year, but it doesn't account for any REVENUES generated by the football program - never mind donations, etc., that last year TOTALED just about 4.5 million (if you believe the EADA report).

If the university is in good financial health, then why not keep things the way they are? The only answer is that the president was hell-bent on getting rid of football, WHATEVER the reason.

GeeWiz
December 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
What they hell do i do come September. Looks like i'm a stony brook fan from here on out.

Uncle Buck I CERTAINLY feel your pain bro! It's going to suck for us come late August when the FCS chatter and excitement starts to build for the season.

That being said, this news today was an absolute stunner of epic proportions!

At NU, we all new that the program was on life support despite what our AD said. Plus we all knew about out facility.

HU was a shock. But we both had apathy from the student
body attending games and your facility was much bigger than ours. We averaged under 2,000 in a 7,000 seat facility while HU average 4,000 in a 15,000 building.

I also think the upcoming medical school on campus and the Jets leaving HU for New Jersey were a HUGE factor in this decision.

RIP Hofstra football...

Kymermosst
December 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Oh, I believe it.

Reading through the tweets from conference calls and interviews with the Coach Gardi who moved Hofstra from D-III to I-AA and former university President Shuart (for whom the stadium is named) they both mentioned that they aren't particularly surprised to see it go.

In short: this sucks.

Texcat34
December 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Umm...GannonFan, I don't mean to barge in here, but the last time I checked Davidson has been playing football since 1897. We didn't play the sport worth a ***** this past season (and finished 6th out of 10 teams in the Pioneer League)...but we do play football. We got destroyed by Elon but finally got a win against the University of San Diego Toreros.

To Buck and all of the Flying Dutchman fans, players, and coaches...words cannot express how badly I feel for you guys. What your administration did is despicable. I would hope that the football alumni cease and desist from donating to the school as a sign of their displeasure. Marist is already in the Pioneer League, I mean worst case scenario, what would be wrong with Hofstra dropping schollies and playing in our league? Despite how poorly the PFL is looked upon on this board, I would think that playing PFL football would be a more attractive alternative than what transpired.

As much as I would love for Davidson to return to fully-funded football in the Southern Conference, perhaps the "cost-containment" model of the Pioneer League isn't such a pathetic idea after all? Is this just the first domino to fall? I hope it isn't for the sake of any programs that may be considering such a drastic move. xsmhx

Good luck to the current Dutchmen players, fans, and coaches. Also, if Marques Colston has a younger brother or cousin on the current roster, can someone please send his transcript to the Davidson Admissions Dept? :D

wideright82
December 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Davidson plays football

89Hen
December 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Davidson plays football
Still up for debate. xwhistlex

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM

At least they care enough to field a team to the best of their abilities. (1,700 students and among the highest admission standards in teh country)

CFBfan
December 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM

not only does Hopkins have a team, they have one the the better D3 programs in the country! who is this cluess crackpot??

Texcat34
December 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Ok tough guy, I'm sure if Davidson was a public school with 18,000 students we'd walk around puffing our chests out about being a bastion of FCS football and beating up on everyone in FCS. Considering the impressive size of the University of Delaware and Joe Flacco's success in the NFL, shouldn't you guys "man up" and join an FBS conference? How did that Navy game go for the Hens? So UConn and South Florida can play in the Big East but big bad Delaware cannot? What a bunch of pu$$ies!!! (Not so fun being on the other end, is it?)

Unfortunately, Davidson has 1700 students, we will always be a basketball-first school, and we play in the non-scholarship PFL. We are what we are, but despite the nerdy academic profile of the school, the former football players are some of the most rabid and loyal alumni you will encounter, otherwise the school would be more like Swarthmore.

As much as the fans here abhor the FBS'/media's treatment of the FCS, I find it hypocritical that quite a few of you from the "power" conferences of FCS sure like to look down your nose at the likes of schools in the NEC, Pioneer, etc. Not EVERYONE in FCS can give 63 scholarships, go to the playoffs every year, and play FBS teams non-conference (or beat them). A least we continue to play football and try to improve our programs, I'm surprised that some on here aren't celebrating the demise of Northeastern and Hofstra football because they were too "weak sauce" anyway..if you had it your way there would only be about 4 conferences and 50 teams in all of FCS!

ngineer
December 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Whoa-JHU and U of C play D-III, and Hopkins has been pretty good in the D-III level for awhile and periodically mentioned as a potential PL member of the future.

ngineer
December 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
There is always the intangible value of a school's name being involved in football discussions in leading up to alumni interest. Granted, it should not be the end all of a college's focus, but it is part of keeping the alumni connected if they hope to cultivate continued interest and a sense of 'pride'..(bad pun). To say HU's support is not sufficient is ridiculous since there has never been great support. When we played HU at HU back in the late 1990's in the playoffs, Lehigh had just as many fans in the stadium as Hofstra.

scotte303
December 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Uncle Buck, really sorry man. If you want to come to some Rhody games let me know!

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok tough guy, I'm sure if Davidson was a public school with 18,000 students we'd walk around puffing our chests out about being a bastion of FCS football and beating up on everyone in FCS. Considering the impressive size of the University of Delaware and Joe Flacco's success in the NFL, shouldn't you guys "man up" and join an FBS conference? How did that Navy game go for the Hens? So UConn and South Florida can play in the Big East but big bad Delaware cannot? What a bunch of pu$$ies!!! (Not so fun being on the other end, is it?)

Unfortunately, Davidson has 1700 students, we will always be a basketball-first school, and we play in the non-scholarship PFL. We are what we are, but despite the nerdy academic profile of the school, the former football players are some of the most rabid and loyal alumni you will encounter, otherwise the school would be more like Swarthmore.

As much as the fans here abhor the FBS'/media's treatment of the FCS, I find it hypocritical that quite a few of you from the "power" conferences of FCS sure like to look down your nose at the likes of schools in the NEC, Pioneer, etc. Not EVERYONE in FCS can give 63 scholarships, go to the playoffs every year, and play FBS teams non-conference (or beat them). A least we continue to play football and try to improve our programs, I'm surprised that some on here aren't celebrating the demise of Northeastern and Hofstra football because they were too "weak sauce" anyway..if you had it your way there would only be about 4 conferences and 50 teams in all of FCS!

I agree..any chance you guys will consider a return to the Patriot League xsmiley_wix

Texcat34
December 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I agree..any chance you guys will consider a return to the Patriot League xsmiley_wix

I think the football alumni would overwhelmingly want such a move because I think the Patriot League is the better fit for our academic and athletic profile. In an ideal world the Patriot is where we should be (despite what DFWHoya and the rest of the Georgetown fellas think..go check out a ranking of national liberal arts colleges every now and then). Also, a huge percentage of the major donors to Davidson are former football players, so if they threw their weight around...you never know.

Regarding our first half-assed attempt in the Patriot, that was the darkest era in the history of Davidson athletics (we almost dropped across the board to DIII and damn near got rid of football as well), let's just pretend it never happened. The school COULD do it, it's just a matter of convincing the administration to give it another try. If our AD Jim Murphy was asked, I am quite sure he would listen. However, given Davidson's commitment to the SoCon in other sports, I think you would see us return to full scholarship play in the SoCon (when I win the lottery) before we would become a football-only playing member of the Patriot. It is unfortunate because I wish we had really tried in the Patriot the first time and just stayed in it in all sports. Regardless, I think the Pioneer is a perfectly fine fit for us now and we sure as hell need to get a damn winning record in the PFL first before we can think about taking our lumps in a future return to the Patriot. Besides, we weak-ass, cost contained bi#ches from the PFL need to stick together and watch our backs.

Ok, didn't mean to hijack this thread, I apologize...I will pour a beer out for Northeastern and Hofstra football on Sunday during the Panthers/Bucs tailgate. I've been pissed off all day about that and feel like hell for you guys. :(

Tribe07
December 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js1fQobyR_E Are you kidding me? "Appalachian State won 3 straight titles and Richmond won last year. Who will remember that?" What a slap in the face. What a huge mistake Hofstra just made.

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Uncle Buck, really sorry man. If you want to come to some Rhody games let me know!

You got it man. Now that i am basically and FCS orphan, i'm going to try and hit a few games on the road next year.

ronpayne
December 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
And there's plenty of schools that have football teams that don't carry 63 scholarships that are great universities as well - believe it or not, there's a whole world out there that doesn't really follow football at all.

TREASON! IMPOSTERS!

grizband
December 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
"This subdivision is like football purgatory" - sorry you feel that way president Rabinowitz. Can't believe they only had 172 season tickets for football, and only average 500 students each game, but nonetheless, this is a shame to hear.

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM
"This subdivision is like football purgatory" - sorry you feel that way president Rabinowitz. Can't believe they only had 172 season tickets for football, and only average 500 students each game, but nonetheless, this is a shame to hear.

When the university doesn't do a thing to promote the program or for that matter a lot of their athletic teams, that is why attendance and interest is subpar and things like this happen. Unfortunately, his own personal agenda (IMO) allowed him to sit by without offering a hand or an idea and just cut the program.

UNHFan
December 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Can I ask something? I lived on LI for 15 years... I remember Hofstra as a DII or DIII Power Why not got back???? I left LI in 1988 and when they moved to 1-AA I was like? Are they kidding LI has ZERO!!!! College Football fans I mean ZERO!!! I own a Bar in Deer Park and I mean know one cares about College... yes some Locals Like Notre Dame what ever. So Why not just go back to Hofstra's past?

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
We were very successful on the field in moving up and had five playoff appearances under our belts. Since our last appearance in 01 we've struggled to get by the better teams in the conference, who knows why, maybe it's because the conference is too damn good. Don't forget, under president Shuart who was a football guy, the program was still never marketed, but he would have fielded a team whether it played in front of 10,000 people or 10 people. They held a two year study and did what with it? You would think that would help them identify areas that they would like to address, nope, just more information for him to sell the cut to the board of trustees.

But back to the question at hand, Rabinowitz didn't want to save football, keeping it was never an option. He wanted it gone and moving down to a non-scholarship league was not an option as he said HU sports will compete at the highest level. Since FBS was not an option of course, he had his reason to kill the program.

Almost forgot. We have had some tremendous talent come through this program, obviously NFL caliber talent and we have played a number of teams with the same. This should have been a selling point to the local new york area alumni to get their a$$es out to games. Again, no marketing attempts, just waited for the right time to kill the program and did it. F'ing scumbag Rabinowitz. Fuk Hofstra, that university is dead to me.

Bull Fan
December 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Uncle Buck, I know it's different for you and I since you wore the uniform. But I'll be damned if you'll be an orphan.

Come to Ga Southern with me, and FLY WHERE EAGLES DARE!!!!!

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Uncle Buck, I know it's different for you and I since you wore the uniform. But I'll be damned if you'll be an orphan.

Come to Ga Southern with me, and FLY WHERE EAGLES DARE!!!!!

I'll definitely come down, but for now, the educational leadership diploma from SBU provides some type of alumni link for me, though it will take some getting used to.

But yes, i see a return trip to GSU in the future.

Seawolf97
December 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM

I'm honored to have you on our sideline. It was a disgrace what happened at Hofstra this week.

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm honored to have you on our sideline. It was a disgrace what happened at Hofstra this week.

It'll take some getting used to, but I was a freshman at Hofstra when Fiore was a senior, I did that pd program at SBU, i think i have enough ties to root for the local guys. Besides, SBU is close, has great facilities and like HU was when we went full scholly, a program on the rise. I also expect to see some familiar faces making their way east from Hofstra to SBU. xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
December 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'll definitely come down, but for now, the educational leadership diploma from SBU provides some type of alumni link for me, though it will take some getting used to.

But yes, i see a return trip to GSU in the future.

I will secure some swag for you. I think we're going to have to jump in head-first next year with a trip down to "Our House", especially before "the frost is on the pumpkin" ;)

Maybe not revisiting that hemorrhoid-causing drive, but somehow or another we need to hit the road next year. Hey, not to rub your nose in it, but did Mrs. Uncle Buck do a victory dance or anything like that in realizing you were done with football on Saturdays? Mrs. Bull Fan did, but I quickly set her straight (she'll be covering up those black eyes with some extra foundation, or whatever it is they call that crap...xlolxxeekxxsmhx)

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I will secure some swag for you. I think we're going to have to jump in head-first next year with a trip down to "Our House", especially before "the frost is on the pumpkin" ;)

Maybe not revisiting that hemorrhoid-causing drive, but somehow or another we need to hit the road next year. Hey, not to rub your nose in it, but did Mrs. Uncle Buck do a victory dance or anything like that in realizing you were done with football on Saturdays? Mrs. Bull Fan did, but I quickly set her straight (she'll be covering up those black eyes with some extra foundation, or whatever it is they call that crap...xlolxxeekxxsmhx)

I didn't quite explain it to her like you did, but i let her know that there will be road trips and season tix to stony brook because i like chairback seating.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Vin,

Just wanted you to know that I bought a six of Toasted before leaving CT on Friday and started the tailgating at Nova with one in your honor! xthumbsupx I'll let you read into the deeper meaning of the driving freaking wet snow ongoing at the time. ;) xrotatehx xlolx xlolx