PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra dropping football?!

Pages : [1] 2

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
According to the New York Times' Pete Thamel, on twitter:

PeteThamelNYT

Hofstra is going to announce at 11 a.m. that they're dropping football. Second CAA school (Northeastern) in past two weeks.

Is this for real?

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Man, that would really stink. I wonder if this is why the CAA has held out on officially announcing a schedule solution.

EDIT: OMG, do you know what I just realized??? If they do, our last game against Hofstra...WILL BE A LOSS!! NOOOOOOOOO!

downbythebeach
December 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
there is a couple site saying this on a google search.........but nothing official yet

Torgo
December 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Oh damn...this puts the CAA in a dilly of a pickle if true...

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/source-hofstra-to-cancel-its-football-program-1.1635404

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/long_island/091203-hofstra-football-program-to-end

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Wow they beat the bogus out of us I think it was in 1994 or 1996

Franks Tanks
December 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Wow they beat the bogus out of us I think it was in 1994 or 1996

Wow-

Northeast FCS football is dying fast.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
This makes the CAA's life easier at least, UD and Villanova can move to the North in a tandem:

North: UMaine, UNH, UMass, URI, Delaware, Villanova
South: James Madison, William & Mary, Richmond, Towson, ODU, Georgia State

Could (gasp) the North be soon to be stronger?

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
That's a good solution for 2011, but 2010 will be a little dicey.

Gonna be a lot of poaching from Hofstra and Northeastern's rosters next year....Should be interesting to see where these guys land.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
That's a good solution for 2011, but 2010 will be a little dicey.

Gonna be a lot of poaching from Hofstra and Northeastern's rosters next year....Should be interesting to see where these guys land.

Yep. The expansion problem is solved. The scheduling problem -- not so much.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
For 2010, just move Nova north, and guarantee them they will play UD this year, they would be okay with that I bet, that gets it to 5 and 5.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Ho-LEE Crap.

jmu_duke07
December 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I think NU just started a fad.

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Ho-LEE Crap.

This calls for an LFN column!

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
GOOD GRIEF.

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
JESU!!! Now I'm never going to meet UncleBuck, well on friendly terms.

I can't believe this.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
And if true...goes exactly to what many of us said years ago-- the CAA move for some schools was not good.

I am sorry...programs dropping like this is just dumb. They should have joined the AE teams and made a limited schoolly conference before dropping.

At least NU has an excuse with the stadium.

Fordham
December 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Holy crap is right!!!

jmu_duke07
December 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I dont see the CAA adding anymore teams... You'll see Villanova and Delaware moving north. It wouldnt surprise me to see Towson and Rhode Island following suit.

Fordham
any connection here with the Jets moving their camp to NJ and away from Hofstra?

What did Hofstra get out of that association?

For that matter, what does Albany get from the Giants? anyone know?

mcveyrl
For 2010, just move Nova north, and guarantee them they will play UD this year, they would be okay with that I bet, that gets it to 5 and 5.

How do you schedule that though. It would be better to have no divisions in '10 and play an 8 game schedule with 10 teams. Every time misses one. Does that work? I'm horrible at this.

DSUrocks07

So ODU would join the CAA by 2011 or would they now have to bring them into the conference as a tandem with GA State?

rufus
And if true...goes exactly to what many of us said years ago-- the CAA move for some schools was not good.

I am sorry...programs dropping like this is just dumb. They should have joined the AE teams and made a limited schoolly conference before dropping.

But then they would have to play AE basketball.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM

Yea, with both NU and Hofstra I've thought "I hope these schools realize what they're doing." See ETSU.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
any connection here with the Jets moving their camp to NJ and away from Hofstra?

What did Hofstra get out of that association?

For that matter, what does Albany get from the Giants? anyone know?

we get dick- jerks only pay for food. They should give us money but dont.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Is there a dial-in to the press conf?

bosidid
December 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Does it make sense for Hofstra and NU to stay in the CAA in all other sports? I thought football was the big draw to move to the CAA?

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
we get dick- jerks only pay for food. They should give us money but dont.

I would imagine some of the O-linemen would be rough - can't blame you for being upset!

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
But then they would have to play AE basketball.

Hofstra, for years, has been losing money on Olympic Sports. I have been saying it for years after hearing very solid information from the inside from a source that is more than in the know.

They had been mulling moving out of the CAA football to AE limited scholly football.

Let me put it this way-- people dont realize how close AE football was to happing. If Kermit Hall didnt die, we would likely not see these discussions. Too major things happened with AE football:

1. BU didnt want BC on board (azzholes at BU) for AE Hockey. Everyone else, including NU, was on board.

2. UMASS was ok with AE football. When Kermit Hall died, they were worried it would take too long to get a new president in and didnt want to be in a position with SBU overextended in $$$ (which they now are) and Albany not having a facility upgrade...their number 1 concern with Albany. UMASS WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH THIS.

The league, according to docs I have seen from both UMASS and UALBANY administration was: Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS, URI, UNH, MAINE, Hofstra. They were likely going to go after NU, but it wasnt a requirement..

JMUNJ08
How do you schedule that though. It would be better to have no divisions in '10 and play an 8 game schedule with 10 teams. Every time misses one. Does that work? I'm horrible at this.

Seems to me the best solution.

Unless someone else drops football and Hofstra wants the A-10 for bball, I think the whole Fordham thing is squashed.

Redbird Ray
Gadzooks! Now that the weaker programs in the CAA are folding, does this mean that the stronger ones will actually have to play each other, thus causing the almighty CAA to beat up on each other during the regular season like all other conferences do?!?! If there's any east coast bias left in this world, someone will not let this happen! The CAA must remain the strongest conference in FCS or ten thousand baby kittens will die!

My condolences to the Hofstra fans. So I guess it's either Fordham, Columbia or Wagner for NYC football fans.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Does it make sense for Hofstra and NU to stay in the CAA in all other sports? I thought football was the big draw to move to the CAA?

Hofstra's got lacrosse, and the CAA is a very good lacrosse league. Now without football, they could conceivably try to move to the A10 for basketball. The A10 is a better basketball league than the CAA, but not in anything else. Of course, if Hofstra is shedding sports like football, they may have made a decision not to care about most of the other sports.

But they do care about lacrosse and they do care about basketball, probably in that order. The CAA's had no problem with affiliates for men's lacrosse. UMass and Penn State are in the CAA for men's lacrosse, for instance. No problem for Hofstra to stay there for that and move to the A10 for everything else, assuming they have dropped football (until I see it in print or hear it from Uncle Buck I don't believe it yet).

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I would imagine some of the O-linemen would be rough - can't blame you for being upset!

At least a reach around would be nice.xwhistlex:Dxnonox

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
How long before URI closes up shop?

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

Didn't they just drop a few million into their stadium? That's a lot of money for 200 people to watch women's soccer.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gadzooks! Now that the weaker programs in the CAA are folding, does this mean that the stronger ones will actually have to play each other, thus causing the almighty CAA to beat up on each other during the regular season like all other conferences do?!?! If there's any east coast bias left in this world, someone will not let this happen! The CAA must remain the strongest conference in FCS or ten thousand baby kittens will die!

My condolences to the Hofstra fans. So I guess it's either Fordham, Columbia or Wagner for NYC football fans.

Yeah, maybe you didn't notice ODU and Georgia State moving in over the next 3 years. The CAA's not likely to be a 9 team conference anytime soon (and if Hofstra has folded that would make it a 10 team conference).

Oh, and W&M played nova, Richmond, and UNH this year, so somehow they made it in while playing the other playoff participants. When you're good, you're just good.

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

It's only 2.5-3 hours to Delaware and 4max to Towson. I would imagine UMass, URI are all closer and under 4 hours.

Losing NU shouldn't really have played a part.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

I was always shocked that they hadn't pulled the plug on URI years ago. I'd be shocked if they kept football if the Hofstra rumor is true (and so far, there's no confirmation of that).

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Here's a link - looks to be likely true.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/long_island/091203-hofstra-football-program-to-end

Bogus Megapardus
Didn't they just drop a few million into their stadium? That's a lot of money for 200 people to watch women's soccer.

I think Georgetown is preparing to sky-lift Shuart Stadium to M Street as we speak.

Dane96
Hofstra's got lacrosse, and the CAA is a very good lacrosse league. Now without football, they could conceivably try to move to the A10 for basketball. The A10 is a better basketball league than the CAA, but not in anything else. Of course, if Hofstra is shedding sports like football, they may have made a decision not to care about most of the other sports.

But they do care about lacrosse and they do care about basketball, probably in that order. The CAA's had no problem with affiliates for men's lacrosse. UMass and Penn State are in the CAA for men's lacrosse, for instance. No problem for Hofstra to stay there for that and move to the A10 for everything else, assuming they have dropped football (until I see it in print or hear it from Uncle Buck I don't believe it yet).

Just saying this: If Hofstra joined the America East again (unlikely), then the AE lacrosse league would be skyrocked to the upper echelon. Albany just scored some serious recruits that has shocked the lax world.

Albany, UMBC, Stony Brook are top notch. Hartford has improved by leaps and bounds as has Vermont. Bingo is solid workman-like. You toss Hofstra in the mix and you have 4 teams that likely are regularly in or around the Top 25.

downbythebeach
December 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
official
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-hofstra-footballdropped&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lehigh Football Nation
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jfbQuZD6ElK9f3-LH0Xrg4iQghkQD9CBU00O1

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday, university president Stuart Rabinowitz says "the choice was painful but clear."

He says factors include the cost of running the football program and the team's inability to generate significant interest, financial support or attendance.

The decision follows a two-year review of sports spending at Hofstra. Rabinowitz says there are no plans to cut any other sports at the Long Island school.

Last week, Northeastern University in Boston dropped football after 74 years.

Ho-LEE crap.

mcveyrl
official
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-hofstra-footballdropped&prov=ap&type=lgns

And the worldwide leader:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4709412

Dane96

Lax is a cheap sport to add...plus...they have always talked about DI hockey.

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 10:09 AM

Long Island is the "other" epicenter of lacrosse.

UNHWILDCATS05
I think Georgetown is preparing to sky-lift Shuart Stadium to M Street as we speak.

Nope.. UNH calls dibs... cut that baby up and ship it to Durham...

Dane96

We agree on something. I thought of that for Albany.

If Albany had Shuart...we would have 7-8k per game easily.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm f'ing sick over this, totally f'ing sick and feeling betrayed. I am done with Hofstra.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
This is really bad news for teams in the CAA North. Need to keep those bus trips alive.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I think if you are URI you need to make an announcement that you aren't the next shoe to drop.

Unless, of course, you are.

Bogus Megapardus
December 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Lax is a cheap sport to add...plus...they have always talked about DI hockey.

Not really. D1 rosters are 40+ and competition for the students who can actually play (Long Island, Finger Lakes Region, Maryland, Ontario) is becoming fierce.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Just saying this: If Hofstra joined the America East again (unlikely), then the AE lacrosse league would be skyrocked to the upper echelon. Albany just scored some serious recruits that has shocked the lax world.

Albany, UMBC, Stony Brook are top notch. Hartford has improved by leaps and bounds as has Vermont. Bingo is solid workman-like. You toss Hofstra in the mix and you have 4 teams that likely are regularly in or around the Top 25.

But they have that now in the CAA - Towson, Hofstra, UD, UMass, Penn St, Drexel, nova is a great lacrosse conference. And Hofstra has to have bigger sights set for the basketball program in all of this - they have to be on the phone to the A10 just begging for a spot now.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is really bad news for teams in the CAA North. Need to keep those bus trips alive.

Yep, depending on the scheduling, football just got a lot more expensive in 2010 (except for maybe Maine). Could the CAA North teams drive to Nova and Delaware were they to move to the North in '11?

GannonFan
I'm f'ing sick over this, totally f'ing sick and feeling betrayed. I am done with Hofstra.

All the sympathy in the world to you, Buck. xsmhx

Will
Would Villanova willingly move to CAA North?

Husky Alum
I think if you are URI you need to make an announcement that you aren't the next shoe to drop.

Thorr may be loosening the laces on his left wing tip very soon.

Dignan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM

I'm sorry, man. This is crappy for the fans, that's for sure.

downbythebeach
dominoes........who's next?
this is kinda scary, especially if youre a fan of a team not performing so well

JMUNJ08
Would Villanova willingly move to CAA North?

Only with UD but both willing to move is not certain.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM

Same here Uncle Buck. Very sorry to hear this for you and the other Hofstra fans.

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM

I just got done sitting shiva for NU Football.

Now we have to sit shiva for another CAA program.

There are larger questions that need to be answered now for both schools - are we packaging ourselves up to go somewhere?

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
My condolences to Hofstra. That was a game that I looked forward to in every sport. It's very sad to see a LI football program fold. Best wishes to all the players at Hofstra as they go through what can't be a fun offseason, and thanks for every one of those amazing games (even though you beat us in all of them!)

RookieWill
December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
FYI - Nova is no longer in the CAA for lacrosse as the Big East now has a lacrosse league with Cuse, Gtown, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Nova, St. John's and I think Providence

The solution for 2010, as has been suggested, is no division play and need to re-jigger entire schedules. Solution beyond 2010 is yet to be determined.

I've said Nova will not move to the North in the past, but if Delaware were to be a North school, it would be easier to swallow.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yep, depending on the scheduling, football just got a lot more expensive in 2010 (except for maybe Maine). Could the CAA North teams drive to Nova and Delaware were they to move to the North in '11?

Yeah, I can't imagine UNH/URI/UMaine are very happy about this. I know some of my other UNH fans are not in support of this, but unless 'Nova and UD are bustrips for UNH, it's time to reach out to Fordham, Stony Brook, Albany, CCSU, etc. and make sure that we can affordably schedule some games, and perhaps start another conference.

Anyone know what kind of shape UNH Football is in, in terms of steady footing?

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Only with UD but both willing to move is not certain.

I don't think UD would be opposed to playing in the North - heck, when UD decided to join the Yankee back in the '80's, they and Richmond were the only non-New England teams. UD's got more history playing UNH, Maine, and UMass than they do the Southern brethren.

Hey, on the bright side, this means I could get to see UMass's band every other year in Newark - best band in the country by my ranking!

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine UNH/URI/UMaine are very happy about this. I know some of my other UNH fans are not in support of this, but unless 'Nova and UD are bustrips for UNH, it's time to reach out to Fordham, Stony Brook, Albany, CCSU, etc. and make sure that we can affordably schedule some games, and perhaps start another conference.

I'm not sure if Hofstra was a flight for Maine or not.

Fordham
December 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

Buck, so sorry you're going through this. I just e-mailed the news to a buddy of mine who played there in the early 90's and he was stunned as well.

This certainly goes down as Black Thursday in FCS as far as I'm concerned. Northeastern was sad but not so unexpected. This is just stunning and out of the blue.

Buck, there's a seat being held for you indefinitely in the Bronx if you're ever inclined to give a crap about FCS football again. First 100 beers are on me. Hang in there.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM

Dude...I am truly, truly sorry!!!! And you too Bull Fan!

This sucks...and as you guys now, I grew up with Hofstra football. Can't tell you how many fun nights I had from 1991-1995 drinking with the guys...and how many players my dad sent to play football either at Hofstra!

Terrible day!

And if UA ever gets that stadium (hell, I just hope we have a program) than you have a reserved seat to a game with me as well!

bluedog
December 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Looks like all that playoff respect didn't pay the bill.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Not really. D1 rosters are 40+ and competition for the students who can actually play (Long Island, Finger Lakes Region, Maryland, Ontario) is becoming fierce.

Yeah...very true...but.....

.....there are only 12 rides allowed (or maybe 13). Your costs are equipment, insurance, game-day, and travel.

Basically, compared to football...and average out-of-state tuition or private tuition....you are saving 51 rides multiplied by 25-45k a pop. That is a huge savings.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I don't think UD would be opposed to playing in the North - heck, when UD decided to join the Yankee back in the '80's, they and Richmond were the only non-New England teams. UD's got more history playing UNH, Maine, and UMass than they do the Southern brethren.

Hey, on the bright side, this means I could get to see UMass's band every other year in Newark - best band in the country by my ranking!

I have to think that for at least 2012 (probably by 2011) UD and Nova will move to the North. I hate that because I like playing UD and Nova every year, but now maybe I can talk the wife into a trip to Atlanta. Well, for the two years that GSU is in the CAA. :D

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
But they have that now in the CAA - Towson, Hofstra, UD, UMass, Penn St, Drexel, nova is a great lacrosse conference. And Hofstra has to have bigger sights set for the basketball program in all of this - they have to be on the phone to the A10 just begging for a spot now.

Agreed with the A-Ten...and I have to wonder if that's why Mike F. was on the Fan today railing about the A-Ten.

Something smells....

downbythebeach
December 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
those monger funkers is sayin that they ended football to invest in "academic initiatives" on their athletics website

ok

hebmskebm
December 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
This hurts. I wasn't a Hofstra fan but I live in the area. The local support just wasn't there, or wasn't comparable with other FCS schools. They have this fantastic 15,000 seat stadium that was usually at best half full, and normally 1/3rd full. The Northeastern US has more sub FBS schools than in any other part of the country, but probably the least support for "small" college football. Moves like this are initially shocking, but ultimately, not surprising.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
FYI - Nova is no longer in the CAA for lacrosse as the Big East now has a lacrosse league with Cuse, Gtown, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Nova, St. John's and I think Providence

The solution for 2010, as has been suggested, is no division play and need to re-jigger entire schedules. Solution beyond 2010 is yet to be determined.

I've said Nova will not move to the North in the past, but if Delaware were to be a North school, it would be easier to swallow.

Yeah, forgot about that with nova lacrosse - that's what prompted UMass and Penn State to join the CAA actually. But hey, it's a great conference even without nova, and the two who joined (UMass and Penn State) are better than what left.

Seahawks Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
My condolences to the Hofstra football community. Back in the 60s Hofstra was Wagner's biggest rivalry in both football and basketball. Sad to see them drop football.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Agreed with the A-Ten...and I have to wonder if that's why Mike F. was on the Fan today railing about the A-Ten.

Something smells....

Just coincidence. I listen to the FAN all the time and Francesa has been talking about Hofstra basketball being in the A10 for years now.

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Villanova is out. Big East started up lax this year. It's just six. I'd like to see Loyola join CAA lax.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
See Loyola's lax stadium? Ridonk!

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I knew I should have read the whole thread before responding...xoopsx

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
You know, this means that there are now only affiliate members in the North. I know this has been talked about Ad Nauseum, but does this make their departure more probable?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
This hurts. I wasn't a Hofstra fan but I live in the area. The local support just wasn't there, or wasn't comparable with other FCS schools. They have this fantastic 15,000 seat stadium that was usually at best half full, and normally 1/3rd full. The Northeastern US has more sub FBS schools than in any other part of the country, but probably the least support for "small" college football. Moves like this are initially shocking, but ultimately, not surprising.

Working on the blog posting right now, but Hofstra's support was in line with all the other schools in the area. Only Stony Brook outdrew them, and had Delaware come to Shuart they your have easily outdrew them.

JMG1MON
December 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Buck, my condolences to you and all the other Hofstra fans.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
"As we continue to improve our academic programs and reputation, and plan the University's future, we have to consider the investment we make in all of the University's programs," Rabinowitz said. "The cost of the football program, now and in the future, far exceeds the return possible from an FCS program, which does not generate significant national interest. Given that, along with the low level of interest, financial support and attendance among our students, our alumni and the community, the choice was painful, but clear."

What an absolute douchebag.

bostonspider
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
I think it does make it more likely that the CAA North (or what's left of it) might opt as a group to form a new conference with Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU and maybe Fordham.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Nope.. UNH calls dibs... cut that baby up and ship it to Durham...

you beat me to it

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think it does make it more likely that the CAA North (or what's left of it) might opt as a group to form a new conference with Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU and maybe Fordham.

Agreed but who do we pick up? 9 CAA members in 2012 but GaSt. not sticking around...

Old Cat Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM

All I can say is that UNH better drop that pathetic basketball program before they ever think about the football program, also you can see the problem they face with a new stadium. They will never build anything new with the fan base that supports them now. Hofstra has this beautiful statium and like another poster mention the suppport wasn't there.

On a selfish sidenote, will NU and Hofstra players now transfering around the CAA, make some teams actually stronger next year xconfusedx

Redbird Ray
December 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, maybe you didn't notice ODU and Georgia State moving in over the next 3 years. The CAA's not likely to be a 9 team conference anytime soon (and if Hofstra has folded that would make it a 10 team conference).

Oh, and W&M played nova, Richmond, and UNH this year, so somehow they made it in while playing the other playoff participants. When you're good, you're just good.

Talk to me when ODU and Georgia State start winning games over 4 year colleges with scholarship athletes. But this thread isn't about how overrated CAA is. So once again, sucks Hofstra. You'll always have Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston!

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
All I can say is that UNH better drop that pathetic basketball program before they ever think about the football program, also you can see the problem they face with a new stadium. They will never build anything new with the fan base that supports them now. Hofstra has this beautiful statium and like another poster mention the suppport wasn't there.

On a selfish sidenote, will NU and Hofstra players now transfering around the CAA, make some teams actually stronger next year xconfusedx

Yes but no Hoftsra or NE to play. Some great teams sitting at home come playoff time IMO.

RichH2
December 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
SorryBuck, a terrible loss. But I'vegone to lots of games at HU greta stadium lousy crowd. Always wondered how they could continue to support max schollies

andy7171
December 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'd throw in Monmouth.

Talk to me when ODU and Georgia State start winning games over 4 year colleges with scholarship athletes. But this thread isn't about how overrated CAA is. So once again, sucks Hofstra. You'll always have Wayne Chrebet and Marques Colston!
Yeah 4-0 in the playoffs, 3-3 vs FBS, WAY over rated.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM

ODU will win sooner than you think. GaSt, not so much. While this sucks for the schools involved, these weren't top teams in the CAA - if anything, the conference is now stronger top to bottom than before, since the bottom is going away.

NHwildEcat
December 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM

But if they were to base it on the $$$, basketball costs them less. Whenever they go to play a big school they are taken care of. I think we would all agree they shouldn't lose any of them...they had enough cut backs in the 90's.

Spiderbone
December 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Agreed but who do we pick up? 9 CAA members in 2012 but GaSt. not sticking around...

Need to get working on football at George Mason -CAA (40K students and the biggest school in VA) and VCU-CAA(34K students and the second biggest (maybe third behind VT) in Virginia). It is only a matter of time beofre these schools have football and with UR leaving City Stadium in Richmond, there is a nice venue ready to be taken over by the likes of VCU. xthumbsupx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM

OMG, I never saw this coming. I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel for you! I will definitely get to the Island during hoop season and we'll have a few Toasted Lagers!

CollegeSportsInfo
December 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

It made little sense when they did move to the CAA and still had football. A move from the AE to CAA is just above a lateral move...yet the costs were much higher with all the travel south to Virginia, NC and then even worse, Atlanta, when they expanded south again.

So sad to see.

Wildcat80
December 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Very glad I braved the weather and made the trip this year. UNH got the win and Hofstra football got the shaft. For a rainy day they started out with a nice crowd too. Time to add Stony brook to CAA north??xrotatehx

EPJr
December 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
An Open Letter to the Hofstra Community:

After a comprehensive review, the Board of Trustees has, at my recommendation, voted unanimously to eliminate our intercollegiate football program in order to redirect those resources toward academic initiatives and need-based scholarships.

This decision is not a budget reduction, but rather a strategically driven reallocation of resources. We have no plans for any further major changes to our Division I athletics program, which we believe is an integral part of a fully textured university experience. We will continue to host 17 intercollegiate sports and to continue to invest significantly in our athletics program. However, at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) level, football could not attain significant national recognition, and it has had low student, community and media interest, attendance and financial support. In addition, the football program, the largest of the athletic programs, is by far the most expensive. In the end, we could not continue to justify the expense of football compared to the benefits it brought to the University.

More... http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66944

WSBE
December 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM

It's amazing to me that FCS fans can be so critical of the CAA. Is there anything more telling that CAA teams in playoffs made up 4 of final 8 in 2009, 4 of 8 in 2008, & 3 of 8 in 2007 (with UNH losing to top seeded UNI on the final play) AND I think I read this year's FCS vs. FBS record was something like 4-70 with all 4 wins coming out of the CAA?? Isn't this one of the best things going for FCS in terms of recognition, legitimacy, media exposure? Not to mention NFL names like Flacco, Hightower, Westbrook, Colston, W Colon, B Patrick, D Krieder, Azumah, C Graham, B Finneran, M Shipp, Brian McGowan, Darren Sharper, Gannon, etc

TypicalTribe
December 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
While we hate to lose conference brethren, this is a good thing for the CAA. In the coming years, the league was looking at an unwieldy 14 members and something was going to need to happen. I think this will definitely usher in some further restructuring of leagues and the landscape will likely be different 5 years from now.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
While we hate to lose conference brethren, this is a good thing for the CAA. In the coming years, the league was looking at an unwieldy 14 members and something was going to need to happen. I think this will definitely usher in some further restructuring of leagues and the landscape will likely be different 5 years from now.

I agree with that - no conference ever stays the same, and obviously there were and are haves and have nots in the CAA. I'd still look for the other shoe to drop with URI - they were barely hanging on as it was. UNH and Maine are much better positioned to ride this out and UMass ain't going anywhere. Heck, moving nova and UD up to the North could help those programs a lot as well, getting the UD gate every other year.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I just got done sitting shiva for NU Football.

Now we have to sit shiva for another CAA program.

There are larger questions that need to be answered now for both schools - are we packaging ourselves up to go somewhere?

There's only 1 place they could go IF they ever left the CAA: back home to the AE. Just no other options.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
There's only 1 place they could go IF they ever left the CAA: back home to the AE. Just no other options.

And the A10 isn't an option because...?

NHwildEcat
December 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Either way you slice it...the CAA is now stronger at this moment then it was previously...having schools leave that are not winning nor drawing is a good thing. The thing that sucks is for those fans of those schools...sorry guys. And there is some worry about other borderline schools as to what may happen in the future. But as far as the conference goes, it only strengthens.

smcwildcat
December 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
noo way

putter
December 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
With talk about further expansion of the playoffs to 24 teams, would this be a good time to actually create another conference, rather than just a larger CAA? New league with an AQ would be enticing for the future of the FCS

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I have a source that says there is a lot more to come. Told me after Northeastern dropped that that was just the first of many dominoes to fall. Should be interesting to see what happens. I'm assuming this means URI is definitely gone (either dropping or going to a smaller conference) ... and possibly more to come?

Will the football conference split into an all sport one? Will Richmond switch to all sports CAA again. Villanova could be out? Possibly moving up to the Big East for football when the BigEast reshuffles ... I can't wait to see what happens

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hofstra, for years, has been losing money on Olympic Sports. I have been saying it for years after hearing very solid information from the inside from a source that is more than in the know.

They had been mulling moving out of the CAA football to AE limited scholly football.

Let me put it this way-- people dont realize how close AE football was to happing. If Kermit Hall didnt die, we would likely not see these discussions. Too major things happened with AE football:

1. BU didnt want BC on board (azzholes at BU) for AE Hockey. Everyone else, including NU, was on board.

2. UMASS was ok with AE football. When Kermit Hall died, they were worried it would take too long to get a new president in and didnt want to be in a position with SBU overextended in $$$ (which they now are) and Albany not having a facility upgrade...their number 1 concern with Albany. UMASS WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH THIS.

The league, according to docs I have seen from both UMASS and UALBANY administration was: Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS, URI, UNH, MAINE, Hofstra. They were likely going to go after NU, but it wasnt a requirement..

D96, this is probably a discussion for a different thread at a different time so I'll be brief. I know your sources are outstanding, but I have a difficult time believing that UMass was interested in limited scholly football. And I'm still not convinced that BU (especially BU), Vermont, Hartford, Binghamton and UMBC want football in America East.

I guess all of this begs the question, why didn't Hofstra just drop down to the NEC or even the Pioneer? It's really sad that schools drop programs all together. Although I have to say that the prospect of reduced scholly football at UNH doesn't thrill me at all. I know that I'd probably still attend some games as long as I have tailgating buddies. But my enthusiasm to make day trips from CT will wane over time. I'm not sure I'd travel anywhere near as much if UNH starts getting killed by its current opponents or more likely playing a bunch of schools we have no history with. It just wouldn't be the same after what I've experienced this decade and for four decades of following UNH. I fear that reduced scholly football at UNH could begin a death spiral.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
And the A10 isn't an option because...?

Why on earth would the A10 downgrade with programs like NU and Hofstra? The league is at 14 teams now...quite large. There have been 4-5 schools that the A10 has targeted as replacement candidates should a program like Xavier, Dayton or St. Louis move on. And since that time, Butler has added itself to that list of schools and likely at the top as a geographic fit for Xavier, Dayton and St. Louis. The A10 has considered BU when looking at the Boston DMA. In the NY market, there is Fordham, which isn't going anywhere: the league isn't going to vote out Fordham.

Simply put, if the A10 were to EVER consider 16 schools, they would need to be top ranked basketball programs from established athletic departments. The A10 ONLY went to 14 because St. Louis and Charlotte were sure attractive candidates.

Would the A10 expand to 16 schools if it were St. John's and Seton hall (or other Big East schools)? Probably. Would they expand to 16 with unranked AE or CAA schools? No.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
D96, this is probably a discussion for a different thread at a different time so I'll be brief. I know your sources are outstanding, but I have a difficult time believing that UMass was interested in limited scholly football. And I'm still not convinced that BU (especially BU), Vermont, Hartford, Binghamton and UMBC want football in America East.

I guess all of this begs the question, why didn't Hofstra just drop down to the NEC or even the Pioneer? It's really sad that schools drop programs all together. Although I have to say that the prospect of reduced scholly football at UNH doesn't thrill me at all. I know that I'd probably still attend some games as long as I have tailgating buddies. But my enthusiasm to make day trips from CT will wane over time. I'm not sure I'd travel anywhere near as much if UNH starts getting killed by its current opponents or more likely playing a bunch of schools we have no history with. It just wouldn't be the same after what I've experienced this decade and for four decades of following UNH. I fear that reduced scholly football at UNH could begin a death spiral.

My source is five:

1. Paper trail
2. Basketball and Football Coach at UMASS (one is a former UA coach)
3. Our mutual friend.
4. Albany.
5. UMASS Board (my friend is the top lawyer for the System).

You may not want to believe it...but its fact. And the league was going to be at counter-minimum...so it wasnt totally limited schooly. And I suspect what's coming around the corner you wont like any much more: There will be a shifting where UNH and Maine will form locally with other schools.

Financially, schools just cant do this anymore.

And you know I am not being a dick...but I can tell you the above was all fact.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM

Not long ago, UMass did consider all the football options: remaining as is, upgrade to FBS, downgrade to limited scholarships, and dropping the program.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I guess all of this begs the question, why didn't Hofstra just drop down to the NEC or even the Pioneer?

Don't forget the Patriot League. I saw both NE and HU as prime candidates for Patriot League membership in football, especially if they jumped to the A-10 in all other sports.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
With talk about further expansion of the playoffs to 24 teams, would this be a good time to actually create another conference, rather than just a larger CAA? New league with an AQ would be enticing for the future of the FCS

Two less teams up North doesn't help create a new conference.

The CAA Football League now doesn't have expansion to 14 teams. Short of any other fallout, they'll be at the current number of 12 for awhile. It would be years before VCU or GMU got up to speed since I don't think there is even an ongoing grass roots operation to start a program.

Unless the A-10 steps up and sponsors football again, who is going to administer a new league? America East is batting oh for two.

Native
December 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Looks like all that playoff respect didn't pay the bill.

Ain't the Ain'ts, Jack, and don't you say that no mo!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Don't forget the Patriot League. I saw both NE and HU as prime candidates for Patriot League membership in football, especially if they jumped to the A-10 in all other sports.

I typed and erased a comment in my note that said "I wonder if Hofstra's program would still exist today if they had been admitted to the Patriot League a few years back". I didn't want to hint at any blame for Hofstra's demise, but as long as you brought it up. Yeah, why not work on a transistion to the Patriot? xconfusedx I can only guess that they want to concentrate on basketball. With a good dose of no institutional fortitude for football.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Why on earth would the A10 downgrade with programs like NU and Hofstra? The league is at 14 teams now...quite large. There have been 4-5 schools that the A10 has targeted as replacement candidates should a program like Xavier, Dayton or St. Louis move on. And since that time, Butler has added itself to that list of schools and likely at the top as a geographic fit for Xavier, Dayton and St. Louis. The A10 has considered BU when looking at the Boston DMA. In the NY market, there is Fordham, which isn't going anywhere: the league isn't going to vote out Fordham.

Simply put, if the A10 were to EVER consider 16 schools, they would need to be top ranked basketball programs from established athletic departments. The A10 ONLY went to 14 because St. Louis and Charlotte were sure attractive candidates.

Would the A10 expand to 16 schools if it were St. John's and Seton hall (or other Big East schools)? Probably. Would they expand to 16 with unranked AE or CAA schools? No.

If St. John's or Seton Hall left the Big East, they would also leave behind what makes them attractive right now. Either of those schools in the A10 would just cripple those programs competitively.

Both Hofstra and NU, but especially Hofstra, wouldn't be a drag on the A10 - Hofstra's got a pretty building and they've been successful. And both fit the geographic market for the A10 very well. I don't think the A10 really wants to keep expanding westward. And size of a basketball conference doesn't matter much - the Big East does 16 just fine right now.

art vandelay
December 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
its an easy schedule solution just get rid of north and south and have everyone play everyone. thats 9 games. then one fbs game and one play down game.

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
I just saw on the Hofstra website that they had sold only 172 season tickets for the '09 season. Tough to maintain football with that lack of support.

I wonder how many other FCS schools are currently facing similar problems?

TypicalTribe
December 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Fordham
CCSU

Nova
UD
Towson
W&M
JMU
ODU
UR
GSU

Not a bad couple of conferences and with only 7 league games, plenty of chances to play each other OOC.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Fordham
CCSU

Nova
UD
Towson
W&M
JMU
ODU
UR
GSU

Not a bad couple of conferences and with only 7 league games, plenty of chances to play each other OOC.

i'd add UNCC to the south grouping...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
My source is five:

1. Paper trail
2. Basketball and Football Coach at UMASS (one is a former UA coach)
3. Our mutual friend.
4. Albany.
5. UMASS Board (my friend is the top lawyer for the System).

You may not want to believe it...but its fact. And the league was going to be at counter-minimum...so it wasnt totally limited schooly. And I suspect what's coming around the corner you wont like any much more: There will be a shifting where UNH and Maine will form locally with other schools.

Financially, schools just cant do this anymore.

And you know I am not being a dick...but I can tell you the above was all fact.

Believe me, I know you weren't being a dick.

Based on the active UMass folks on this forum, some of whom are no doubt boosters, it just didn't seem like a decision that would go over well at all. Not when many were calling for an FBS upgrade. I'd have expected a serious backlash at UMass, much more so than NU or HU could ever muster.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM

I'm sorry, man. This is crappy for the fans, that's for sure.

Same here Uncle Buck. Very sorry to hear this for you and the other Hofstra fans.

Buck, so sorry you're going through this. I just e-mailed the news to a buddy of mine who played there in the early 90's and he was stunned as well.

This certainly goes down as Black Thursday in FCS as far as I'm concerned. Northeastern was sad but not so unexpected. This is just stunning and out of the blue.

Buck, there's a seat being held for you indefinitely in the Bronx if you're ever inclined to give a crap about FCS football again. First 100 beers are on me. Hang in there.

Dude...I am truly, truly sorry!!!! And you too Bull Fan!

This sucks...and as you guys now, I grew up with Hofstra football. Can't tell you how many fun nights I had from 1991-1995 drinking with the guys...and how many players my dad sent to play football either at Hofstra!

Terrible day!

And if UA ever gets that stadium (hell, I just hope we have a program) than you have a reserved seat to a game with me as well!

Buck, my condolences to you and all the other Hofstra fans.

SorryBuck, a terrible loss. But I'vegone to lots of games at HU greta stadium lousy crowd. Always wondered how they could continue to support max schollies

OMG, I never saw this coming. I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel for you! I will definitely get to the Island during hoop season and we'll have a few Toasted Lagers!

Thanks guys, I am still shocked by the whole thing. Where the hell will i post with no team to support. Honestly, i completed my Educational Leadership program at Stony Brook and they are 20 minutes closer to my house. I guess i buy season tix to them and make a push for SBU to get into the CAA North.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys, I am still shocked by the whole thing. Where the hell will i post with no team to support. Honestly, i completed my Educational Leadership program at Stony Brook and they are 20 minutes closer to my house. I guess i buy season tix to them and make a push for SBU to get into the CAA North.

You're always welcome to be a Blue Hen fan. xthumbsupx

wideright82
December 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
You're always welcome to be a Blue Hen fan. xthumbsupx

I know we sure as hell have open membership spots xlolxxlolxxlolx

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Uncle Buck -

We can form our own support group.

Heck, I've picked new teams to follow.

UNH in the CAA North (geographical)
W&M in the CAA South (any edge to get the girls into college)
Midwest, I've got NDSU (Rocky Hager ties)
West, I think I'm leaning towards Davis.

The wounds are still fresh here, but you too have my sympathy.

I'm still going to post here, not sure about what, but I'll be here.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Uncle Buck -

We can form our own support group.

Heck, I've picked new teams to follow.

UNH in the CAA North (geographical)
W&M in the CAA South (any edge to get the girls into college)
Midwest, I've got NDSU (Rocky Hager ties)
West, I think I'm leaning towards Davis.

The wounds are still fresh here, but you too have my sympathy.

I'm still going to post here, not sure about what, but I'll be here.

We certainly can form our own group, *****, where do i go now to tailgate. It'll be tough rooting for another team with the same passion. This will take a while to move on. All i know, a lot of good athletes out there between these two teams that can certainly make someone else better. SBU and Chuck Priore better get on it.

aceinthehole
December 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Condolences to UB! Very sorry to see this happen. I was looking forward to the CCSU-Hofstra matchup.

Also, as a JETS fans, I wear my Chrebet jersey with pride and Hofstra FOOTBALL won't be forgotten!

Go Dutch!

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I think NU just started a fad.

IF this is indeed the case, it makes me sick. This actually sickens me more, now that another University has followed suit. As much as I hate my school & administration (whom my own father is a part of!!!) at Northeastern, the amount of money that had to go into football facilities was in the $20-30 million range, I can at least understanding not wanting to spend that money. I still hate NU cutting football.

Hofstra has the NY Jets practice (or were their) facilities. They have a beautiful stadium! Everyone FCS team loses money, this move is soooo greedy it makes me want to vomit. And if NU planted this seed in the Hofstra administration, I am so sorry to all HU Alums.

CollegeSportsInfo
December 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
If St. John's or Seton Hall left the Big East, they would also leave behind what makes them attractive right now. Either of those schools in the A10 would just cripple those programs competitively.

Both Hofstra and NU, but especially Hofstra, wouldn't be a drag on the A10 - Hofstra's got a pretty building and they've been successful. And both fit the geographic market for the A10 very well. I don't think the A10 really wants to keep expanding westward. And size of a basketball conference doesn't matter much - the Big East does 16 just fine right now.

It's all opinion versus the facts we do know. We know that the A10 has indeed had interest in programs in the region: Boston University, Holy Cross and even Siena. Detroit was high on the list as well. ODU was a school that some in the A10 had interest in due to the geography with Richmond and then Charlotte. And Butler drew attention with the success they've had and their proximity to the A10 West schools.

The A10 has made it crystal clear that they will not be expanding unless it's an optimal situation, like St. louis and Charlotte were (two top 50 programs being expelled from CUSA due to lack of football programs).

I understand that things come up and decisions change. But if the A10 were to expand to 16, they have made it clear that it would be ONLY if situations came up like CUSA (where all of a sudden top programs are available).

In other words, the A10 has zero desire to expand by bringing in programs that they need to nurture to succeed like a Hofstra or virtually any non-BCs conference school. And if a current A10 school left for say, the Big East, you'd see them start with their pecking order that already exists. Sure, Hofstra could turn their program around and go on a 10 year rebuilding tear and become an attractive option. But in the meantime, the A10 has done it's research and has it's initial round of schools to consider if and only if a current school leaves.

Hofstra is fine in the CAA now since the onyl other option is the AE. But you have to think the AE might be better for their bottomline budget when it comes to travel.

letsgopards04
December 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM

No malice intended due to ignorance about HU and NU but can these schools compete academically with the PL?

19Duke97
December 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
"The school is a member of the Colonial Athletic Association, which is known more as a basketball dominated conference."

Umm really? Not so sure about that statement. The CAA is the preeminent FCS football league right now.

letsgopards04
December 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
We certainly can form our own group, *****, where do i go now to tailgate. It'll be tough rooting for another team with the same passion. This will take a while to move on. All i know, a lot of good athletes out there between these two teams that can certainly make someone else better. SBU and Chuck Priore better get on it.

Maybe you guys can call the Iona fans from last year and ask them how they coped.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe you guys can call the Iona fans from last year and ask them how they coped.

Have your players call Iona's QB and ask him how great it is playing for Maine! Recruit for your CAA north brethren!

letsgopards04
December 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Maine
UNH
UMass
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Fordham
CCSU

Nova
UD
Towson
W&M
JMU
ODU
UR
GSU

Where does the rest of the NEC go? With this setup you just killed a league that has fought to get an auto-bid for some time.

NovaWildcat
December 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
"The school is a member of the Colonial Athletic Association, which is known more as a basketball dominated conference."

Umm really? Not so sure about that statement. The CAA is the preeminent FCS football league right now.

To the casual sports fan, CAA basketball means much more to people than CAA football. VCU, ODU, George Mason and occasionally others make headlines every year for being 'bracket busters.' It's one of the top mid major conferences in the country.

This is not to say that CAA Basketball isn't stronger relative to CAA Football in the FCS...but at the very least, it's basketball is what's popular nationally, not football.

WWII
December 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM

But only 12.6 scholorships. So that's why it's relatively cheap.

T-Dog
December 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
UncleBuck, all my condolences for you and all Hofstra fans, the coaches now without a job and the players without a team and their parents who were betrayed by an administration. I didn't read through the press releases, but I hope the university honors all football scholarships.

Northeastern I can understand. This, not as much. It seems like the president is looking for a quick fix-it ala ETSU.

WWII
December 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
i'd add UNCC to the south grouping...

and Monmouth to the North.

SpeedkingATL
December 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Every four year college should have a football team regardless of classification as it is so much a part of the college experience. Football is the biggest thing that has kept me connected to ASU and for the last 20+ years has been the source of great pride and some great social life (and I live 300 miles from the school).

I really feel sorry for the current and future students at Hofstra and Northeastern for missing out on these pleasures.xsmhx:( Even if their teams had trouble competeing in the CAA they got to see some great players and teams every year.

SaintDK10
December 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
ODU will win sooner than you think. GaSt, not so much.

Really?! We haven't even played a game and you already know this? GSU's first recruiting class blew ODU's out of the water, so what exactly do you base your comment on? Please, enlighten me.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
To the casual sports fan, CAA basketball means much more to people than CAA football. VCU, ODU, George Mason and occasionally others make headlines every year for being 'bracket busters.' It's one of the top mid major conferences in the country.

This is not to say that CAA Basketball isn't stronger relative to CAA Football in the FCS...but at the very least, it's basketball is what's popular nationally, not football.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if a casual sports fan could even name the CAA for basketball. The casual sports fan knows very little that isn't broadcast 24/7 on ESPN and the amount of times the CAA makes news there, even in basketball, is very seldom.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Really?! We haven't even played a game and you already know this? GSU's first recruiting class blew ODU's out of the water, so what exactly do you base your comment on? Please, enlighten me.

Hey, you guys may end up being good, who knows, but ODU's track record over the other sports they sponsor, in terms of success and support, is several steps better than what GA St does. I don't think it's a stretch to say that ODU is going to be successful much sooner than GaSt (relatively speaking, I know ODU has a year or two head start).

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hey, you guys may end up being good, who knows, but ODU's track record over the other sports they sponsor, in terms of success and support, is several steps better than what GA St does. I don't think it's a stretch to say that ODU is going to be successful much sooner than GaSt (relatively speaking, I know ODU has a year or two head start).

this is the biggest advantage that ODU has over GA State. xnodx

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Every four year college should have a football team regardless of classification as it is so much a part of the college experience. Football is the biggest thing that has kept me connected to ASU and for the last 20+ years has been the source of great pride and some great social life (and I live 300 miles from the school).

I really feel sorry for the current and future students at Hofstra and Northeastern for missing out on these pleasures.xsmhx:( Even if their teams had trouble competeing in the CAA they got to see some great players and teams every year.

While I feel genuinely sorry for the Uncle Buck's and Husky Alum's of the world, that last paragraph is partly why these schools dropped football. Students just weren't coming to the games. NU has 15k undergrads, Hofstra less at 7k, but these people weren't coming to the games. Granted, there are reasons aplenty why they weren't coming, but in the end, they weren't there in very large numbers. I don't feel as sorry for the students who already voted they didn't care as much as I do the alums and fans who did show up.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
this is the biggest advantage that ODU has over GA State. xnodx

It's the biggest advantage they have over most programs.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM

You can root for the Danes...just so I can get into it with Bull Fan and have you watch!!!xrulesxxnodxxthumbsupxxsmiley_wix:D

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Where does the rest of the NEC go? With this setup you just killed a league that has fought to get an auto-bid for some time.

HUH? Only two teams in the league would move on. The rest is fine...and with an autobid.

bainsey
December 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
I echo the sentiment of getting rid of the divisions for 2010 and have all CAA teams play everyone once. I don't know how feasable that is on nine months notice, but with ten schools, nine conference games is perfect.

With ODU and GSU coming into the mix soon, I suppose we'll have to go back to divisions. With all due respect to the rest of FCS, I don't see the advantage of adding anyone else to the CAA. Twelve schools is more than enough. I prefer ten, but that ship has sailed.

UAalum72
December 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Frankly, I'd be surprised if a casual sports fan could even name the CAA for basketball. The casual sports fan knows very little that isn't broadcast 24/7 on ESPN and the amount of times the CAA makes news there, even in basketball, is very seldom.
Except those fans that remember George Mason.

Quote:Originally Posted by letsgopards04 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/gfx_Tangerine/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1485137#post1485137)
Where does the rest of the NEC go? With this setup you just killed a league that has fought to get an auto-bid for some time

NEC still has Duquesne, Robert Morris, St. Francis, Wagner, Sacred Heart, Bryant, and Monmouth - all but DU are all-sport members.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I saw Lehigh play Hostra 3x and each were memorable.

I went to Hoftra in '99 when Lehigh had first round playoff game up there. The Dutchmen were led by Giovanni Carmazzi at the time. HU had a really nice stadium but you could tell support was lacking. THere was probably 2x as many Lehigh fans as there were Hoftra ones. Unfortuntely a lot more people went home sad that day than happy.

Lehigh also had one of their most memorable games against Hofstra in an '01 first round game at Goodman. I'll never forget Trevor Dimmie failing to receive a pitch and then Hawks drive down the field to force OT. Lehigh ended up winning in OT 27-24.

I also got to see Wayne Chrebet against Lehigh in '93. Hofstra was still settling in to 1AA at the time but were still pretty good. They were 6-3-1 in '93 then took off in '94 going 8-1-1.

Champs
December 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I vote for round robin schedule

letsgopards04
December 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
HUH? Only two teams in the league would move on. The rest is fine...and with an autobid.

Yeah sorry zoned out realized Stony Brook was Big South (which is ridiculous on its own). But the league would be losing its top two teams nonetheless.

DSUrocks07
December 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah sorry zoned out realized Stony Brook was Big South (which is ridiculous on its own). But the league would be losing its top two teams nonetheless.

It would leave an opening for us...xwhistlex

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I echo the sentiment of getting rid of the divisions for 2010 and have all CAA teams play everyone once. I don't know how feasable that is on nine months notice, but with ten schools, nine conference games is perfect.

With ODU and GSU coming into the mix soon, I suppose we'll have to go back to divisions. With all due respect to the rest of FCS, I don't see the advantage of adding anyone else to the CAA. Twelve schools is more than enough. I prefer ten, but that ship has sailed.

Please tell me that Maine doesn't have any surprise announcements for usxprayx

HLNgriz
December 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry "pride".

SaintDK10
December 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
So by your logic, if the success of the football program is determined by a school's track record in other sports, then how is it then that Delaware has such a good football program?

Since joining the CAA in 2001, Delaware has won 4 CAA championships in sports other than football. GSU has won five CAA championships in five different sports since joining the CAA in 2005. We are on par, if not better, than Delaware as far as other sports are concerned, so why couldn't we have a football program just as good if not better?

Please, go take a look at our recruits first before making predictions before we even played a game. Most of our scholarship players are studs that top CAA programs would love to have on their roster, including Delaware.

Dane96
December 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
SaintDK10 making it over here! Haven't toyed with you in over a year and a half. Welcome.

Can't wait to bend you over here as well: "Most of our scholarship players are studs that top CAA programs would love to have on their roster, including Delaware."

Empirical evidence please, sir.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM

NU students will be just fine with their hockey team.

http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/archives/matthews/matthews_crowd05_large.jpg

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
We are on par, if not better, than Delaware as far as other sports are concerned, so why couldn't we have a football program just as good if not better?

Based on the current direction of Delaware football, it won't take a whole lot to be 'just as good or better' than UD.

RichH2
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Just heard HU's Pres speech. rationale for drop according to him was not financial but rather that even with over 12,000 students and free tickets, very few students went to games. Board felt $$ better spent on academics since students were not interested in the team

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Based on the current direction of Delaware football, it won't take a whole lot to be 'just as good or better' than UD.

xoopsx Here come the UD posters....

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
xoopsx Here come the UD posters....

I am a UD poster, but a realistic one. ;)

henfan
December 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have no pride in Hofstra today. Another very sad day for fans of FCS FB. xbawlingx

I've got a lot of great memories of UD-HU battles and, in particular, our trips to Shuart. It was easily one of my family's favorite places to see a game. The folks we met and tailgated with in Hempstead were absolutely tops, each and every time. Won't soon forget tossing the football around with my son on the practice field when he was a little guy. Wow.

My sincerest condolenseces to Vinny and the rest of the HU crew. I can't imagine how you must feel.

RIP, Flying Dutchmen.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Busy day and just got to my terminal. UNBELIEVABLE.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
So by your logic, if the success of the football program is determined by a school's track record in other sports, then how is it then that Delaware has such a good football program?

Since joining the CAA in 2001, Delaware has won 4 CAA championships in sports other than football. GSU has won five CAA championships in five different sports since joining the CAA in 2005. We are on par, if not better, than Delaware as far as other sports are concerned, so why couldn't we have a football program just as good if not better?

Please, go take a look at our recruits first before making predictions before we even played a game. Most of our scholarship players are studs that top CAA programs would love to have on their roster, including Delaware.

It's all good - we heard all the same ranting when GaSt was set to join the CAA in basketball - plenty of predictions of sure-fire dominance and I don't think GaSt has yet to finish any year in the top 4 - they're a middling team at best. And that was also with "stud recruits" that would dominate the CAA. GaSt posters were notorious on the CAAZone for being bombastic about GaSt's potential (heck, I think you may actually be that poster now that I think of it), unfortunately, the results just haven't followed. Color me cautious that I should now just assume because you say so that GaSt will enter the CAA and dominate in football. xrolleyesx

Fordham
December 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Just heard HU's Pres speech. rationale for drop according to him was not financial but rather that even with over 12,000 students and free tickets, very few students went to games. Board felt $$ better spent on academics since students were not interested in the team begs the question of what, if anything, they did to facilitate that interest.

I also wonder if there are big $$ alums at Hofstra who will be very turned off by what happened today. I believe that the only reason we have football still at FU is due to the fact that some very giving alums care so much about it.

Kymermosst
December 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Having been on campus all day, I'm sad to report that people don't really seem to care.

Everyone has the initial shock of "What? Really? Did I hear that right??" but then it passes.

There have been and are lots of meetings this afternoon with different areas to discuss how they will be affected. Our Spirit Support meeting starts at 4 (I can't see this ending well for the cheerleaders in the long run).

I really think they should have started with cutting the coach, not the whole program.

The worst part is that these "academic interests" where they will be funneling the $4.5M will likely be almost exclusively to the medical school they're trying to start. At least with a football team, there was something that the student body might be able to take pride in.

It's a very sad, impulsive decision and I think that the alumni in particular need to speak up and convince the board to reevaluate this choice.

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
FCS football disappears from second commuter school in recent weeks. Very sad day.xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
FCS football disappears from second commuter school in recent weeks. Very sad day.xsmhx

Is Hofstra really that much of a commuter school at this point? Given the location and quality of education i'd think it's gained a solid regional appeal.

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM

you forgot:
http://news.steelers.com/team/player/64035/

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Having been on campus all day, I'm sad to report that people don't really seem to care.

Everyone has the initial shock of "What? Really? Did I hear that right??" but then it passes.

There have been and are lots of meetings this afternoon with different areas to discuss how they will be affected. Our Spirit Support meeting starts at 4 (I can't see this ending well for the cheerleaders in the long run).

I really think they should have started with cutting the coach, not the whole program.

The worst part is that these "academic interests" where they will be funneling the $4.5M will likely be almost exclusively to the medical school they're trying to start. At least with a football team, there was something that the student body might be able to take pride in.

It's a very sad, impulsive decision and I think that the alumni in particular need to speak up and convince the board to reevaluate this choice.

172 Season Tickets sold tells it all.

Mid-Atlantic
December 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hofstra's president, Stuart Rabinowitz, is on with Francesa. He said they studied the football program for two years. The school lost $4.5 million on football a year and attendance was way down. (Their best attendance recently was for an NCAA lacrosse quarterfinal last year. And he said they're going to try and build up the school's lax program, something a lot of schools are doing.)

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
begs the question of what, if anything, they did to facilitate that interest.

I also wonder if there are big $$ alums at Hofstra who will be very turned off by what happened today. I believe that the only reason we have football still at FU is due to the fact that some very giving alums care so much about it.

Hopefully there are people that care that much about it at FU. Because it matters.

No offense intended to anyone here, though I'm sure some will find it offensive...

In my opinion, a university without a football program, regardless of academic quality, and regardless of the level played at, is really only half a university.

To me, college football is just that big of a deal.

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
It's amazing to me that FCS fans can be so critical of the CAA. Is there anything more telling that CAA teams in playoffs made up 4 of final 8 in 2009, 4 of 8 in 2008, & 3 of 8 in 2007 (with UNH losing to top seeded UNI on the final play) AND I think I read this year's FCS vs. FBS record was something like 4-70 with all 4 wins coming out of the CAA?? Isn't this one of the best things going for FCS in terms of recognition, legitimacy, media exposure? Not to mention NFL names like Flacco, Hightower, Westbrook, Colston, W Colon, B Patrick, D Krieder, Azumah, C Graham, B Finneran, M Shipp, Brian McGowan, Darren Sharper, Gannon, etc

Was 5 wins. May have been more like 5-90ish. Only non CAA to win was UCA over 0-12 WKY (who is only in their 3rd year of I-A)

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM

Was 5 wins. May have been more like 5-90ish. Only non CAA to win was UCA over 0-12 WKY (who is only in their 3rd year of I-A).

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Either way you slice it...the CAA is now stronger at this moment then it was previously...having schools leave that are not winning nor drawing is a good thing. The thing that sucks is for those fans of those schools...sorry guys. And there is some worry about other borderline schools as to what may happen in the future. But as far as the conference goes, it only strengthens.

Not drawing yes. Not winning- NU basically yes although they did win their last 2 CAA games. HU on the other hand wnet 7-4/4-4 2 years ago and was 5-6/3-5 this season.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hofstra's president, Stuart Rabinowitz, is on with Francesa. He said they studied the football program for two years. The school lost $4.5 million on football a year and attendance was way down. (Their best attendance recently was for an NCAA lacrosse quarterfinal last year. And he said they're going to try and build up the school's lax program, something a lot of schools are doing.)

If he said that, that is pure bullshiite. The TOTAL EXPENSES were 4.5 million. Unless you think that Hofstra didn't make one cent of revenue on football, you can't believe a thing this charlatan is saying.

Pard94
December 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
I typed and erased a comment in my note that said "I wonder if Hofstra's program would still exist today if they had been admitted to the Patriot League a few years back". I didn't want to hint at any blame for Hofstra's demise, but as long as you brought it up. Yeah, why not work on a transistion to the Patriot? xconfusedx I can only guess that they want to concentrate on basketball. With a good dose of no institutional fortitude for football.

To put it simply Hofstra doesn't fit the PL profile. Also, all indications point that the PL is moving in the opposite direction vis a vis scholarships.

SaintDK10
December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's all good - we heard all the same ranting when GaSt was set to join the CAA in basketball - plenty of predictions of sure-fire dominance and I don't think GaSt has yet to finish any year in the top 4 - they're a middling team at best. And that was also with "stud recruits" that would dominate the CAA. GaSt posters were notorious on the CAAZone for being bombastic about GaSt's potential (heck, I think you may actually be that poster now that I think of it), unfortunately, the results just haven't followed. Color me cautious that I should now just assume because you say so that GaSt will enter the CAA and dominate in football. xrolleyesx

Great job on not answering my question about the fallacy of your logic, and instead, of all things, proceeding to bring men's basketball into the conversation. GSU was one of the best mid-major programs in the country in the early part of this decade, finishing the year with a 32 RPI in 2001, and while our program has been down for the last four years, we at least know one thing is certain: that annual game with Delaware is an automatic W for us and pretty much every other team in the CAA.

As I already said, during our short tenure in the league we've won more CAA championships than Delaware, and I see no reason why we wouldn't dominate you in football like we do in pretty much every other sport.

elon77
December 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Uncle Buck, I have a solution, move to North Carolina. You do know that Southern Football is the best football in the country. The BBQ is better, the tailgating is better, most of the time the weather is better, and the women are much hotter. You could become an Elon fan, or hey I will even put in a plug for our neighbors to the west, an ASU fan. If there is a weekend that is kind of slow in FCS you aren't too far from Wake, UNC, Duke, NC State, or even Va. Tech. So Uncle B., when you coming? By the way, when Elon was moving from D11 to 1AA Hofstra was one of the first schools that would play them, and did it home and home. I always respected them after that.xnodx

NHwildEcat
December 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Not drawing yes. Not winning- NU basically yes although they did win their last 2 CAA games. HU on the other hand wnet 7-4/4-4 2 years ago and was 5-6/3-5 this season.

I get what you saying but a losing record this past year certainly isn't winning. And a .500 record the previous year isn't bad, but it certainly could have been better. Not that a winner there would have saved the school from this decision.

Pard94
December 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Uncle Buck, I have a solution, move to North Carolina. You do know that Southern Football is the best football in the country. The BBQ is better, the tailgating is better, most of the time the weather is better, and the women are much hotter. You could become an Elon fan, or hey I will even put in a plug for our neighbors to the west, an ASU fan. If there is a weekend that is kind of slow in FCS you aren't too far from Wake, UNC, Duke, NC State, or even Va. Tech. So Uncle B., when you coming? By the way, when Elon was moving from D11 to 1AA Hofstra was one of the first schools that would play them, and did it home and home. I always respected them after that.xnodx

Of course you'd have to learn a whole new language.xlolx

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
The BBQ is better, the tailgating is better, most of the time the weather is better, and the women are much hotter.

There's no "pork" in good BBQ. xlolx

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Most teams already have 3 OOC Div I lined up, including a I-A. I-AA aren't allowed to play 12 games. Playing 9 conference games ISN'T an option.

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I vote for round robin schedule

See previous post. Can't do it, that is, unless URI is the next shie to drop, which would leave 9, giving every CAA 8 league games.

ToTheLeft
December 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Just read on a tweet that the plan is to go division-less. Have to say I think that's the best course of action at this point. Just have to believe the team that winds up with URI and Towson at home and gets to avoid one of the tough programs is about to catch a very lucky break, schedule wise, on paper. :)

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
As I already said, during our short tenure in the league we've won more CAA championships than Delaware, and I see no reason why we wouldn't dominate you in football like we do in pretty much every other sport.

You probably don't see the reason because you don't recogize what a large piece of the budget puzzle fully funded college football plays in an athletics budget. Talk junk when the rubber actually hits the road on your football program. Until then, enjoy all the titles in lesser sports.

Incidentally, which mens sport will be the first to go when you guys are up and running in football?

UNHWILDCATS05
December 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Just read on a tweet that the plan is to go division-less. Have to say I think that's the best course of action at this point. Just have to believe the team that winds up with URI and Towson at home and gets to avoid one of the tough programs is about to catch a very lucky break, schedule wise, on paper. :)

link?

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Northeastern is not a commuter school my friend. It hasn't been for a while. The Northeastern students doomed football starting in 2001 when they crowded the streets of Boston and destroyed the place after the kick heard 'round the world. These Superbowl riots pissed off Mayor Menino and he subsequently passed a law that made all schools in the city have to acheive 51% on campus housing. Northeastern then had to spend and spend and spend some more money on housing instead of an on-campus sports facility. If NU was still a commuter school, those students wouldn't have lit the Back Bay on fire and we'd still have a football team!

ToTheLeft
December 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
link?

Props to Dukie95 for retweeting from...

http://twitter.com/keithlavon

He is live tweeting from some sort of Conf. Call or Press Conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
CAA Commish Yeager- "I didn't think before the last 72 hours that the discussion of this magnitude was even in play at Hofstra"

Wow. I mean, wow.

ToTheLeft
December 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
CAA Commish Yeager- "I didn't think before the last 72 hours that the discussion of this magnitude was even in play at Hofstra"

Wow. I mean, wow.

Yeah, that's crazy, and has to be frightening for any and every northeastern football school.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
RE: UMaine, UNH, URI, UMass:

CAA Commish Yeager- "For the northern division, they will be exchanging two bus trips for two plane flights"

CAA Commish Yeager- "I'm not aware of [any other teams discussing cutting football]"

CAA Commish Yeager- "I believe [northern schools] are still committed"

CAA Commish Yeager- "If for no other reason than the travel [other northern teams might reconsider]"

CAA Commish Yeager- "We have not [asked for commitment from other northern schools]"

CAA Commish Yeager- rough quote; if the northeastern schools can get nine teams together than it may make sense to go separate

Interesting.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Great job on not answering my question about the fallacy of your logic, and instead, of all things, proceeding to bring men's basketball into the conversation. GSU was one of the best mid-major programs in the country in the early part of this decade, finishing the year with a 32 RPI in 2001, and while our program has been down for the last four years, we at least know one thing is certain: that annual game with Delaware is an automatic W for us and pretty much every other team in the CAA.

If you honestly think football is going to be like every other sport, well, that pretty much sums up why most of us in the CAA chuckle when GaSt posters like you predict instant dominance by your team once they enter the CAA. xlolx

GreatAppSt
December 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Very sorry to hear this Uncle Buck.xsmhx Should never have changed the name.

Kymermosst
December 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
I posted this in the open letter thread, but I'll drop it in here as well:

I just got out of a meeting with one of the VPs on campus who knows a lot more about the decision than what is being published. She added a bit more to the picture, but not a whole lot.

For starters, and this is part of what is being published in all of the releases, the university is in good financial health and is simply redirecting that $4.5M. They are still honoring all of the scholarships, unless the student transfers, and they are still honoring the contracts of the coaching staff through the end of the fiscal year, or until the coaches find new positions. Whichever comes first.

Any of the money that they save will be directed to other academic enhancements (she specifically mentioned science/engineering facilities) as well as need-based financial aid, which Hofstra apparently doesn't offer right now.

This was a unanimous decision by the board of trustees that was made last night, and announced today. The football players weren't informed in advance, but were pulled from their classes today for various meetings/counseling sessions and some have already been on the phone with other coaches (I don't know any names).

I have to say that, in my opinion, the university made a rash, poorly thought-out decision and I don't agree with it at all. But I do give them credit for the way they are handling everything in the aftermath. I already mentioned the football players, but they also held a meeting for us in Spirit Support, and I know there were meetings with all of the Residence Hall Staff, the Student Government executives, the Student Affairs staff, and even the head of Greek Life. Someone somewhere along the way seems to have really thought about how far this would ripple so fast.

UNHWILDCATS05
December 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
UNH football is safe (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20091203-SPORTS-912039974)

Seahawks Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hofstra football decision a shock to Staten Islanders

By Bernie Augustine
SILive.com
December 03, 2009, 5:17PM

Citing a lack of interest within the college community and increasing costs of operation, Hofstra University announced Thursday that it was terminating its football program. The move will free up $4.5M to enhance academic programs at the Long Island school.

University president Stuart Rabinowitz said that the decision -- which came after a two-year review of sports spending -- "was painful but clear." He said that there are no plans of dropping any other programs at the school and student athletes who elect to stay at the school will have their scholarships honored. Those who choose to transfer will not be subject to NCAA transfer rules.

http://www.silive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/12/hofstra_football_decision_a_sh.html

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
So what happens to Homecoming at Hofstra?

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Very sorry to hear this Uncle Buck.xsmhx Should never have changed the name.

Makes me sick to my stomach :(

SBU, now without anything resembling a geographic/demographic rival in football, has a pretty big decision. I think FBS (with Rutgers, U Conn, Buffalo, and Syracuse as natural demographic and geographic rivals) needs to be made the goal, as it's clear that stalling at FCS in metro NY does not yield a productive program (the last ones are Fordham and Wagner, two small private schools that are poor opposites with SBU). It's a very unfortunate decision, but to justify keeping the program in existence without Hofstra to compete with SBU has almost no choice but to set this long term goal into stone. What is a sad day for Hofstra may very well be the reason SBU moves FBS.

SaintDK10
December 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
You probably don't see the reason because you don't recogize what a large piece of the budget puzzle fully funded college football plays in an athletics budget. Talk junk when the rubber actually hits the road on your football program. Until then, enjoy all the titles in lesser sports.

Incidentally, which mens sport will be the first to go when you guys are up and running in football?
Actually chief, it was your Delaware buddy talking junk before GSU has even played a game yet, not the other way around.

And to answer your question, Georgia State University will not be cutting any of the men's programs. With over 30,000 enrolled students, we are the second largest university in the state of Georgia, and as such, a simple athletic fee increase is able to fund the football program as well as the addition of other women's programs such as lacrosse.

SaintDK10
December 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
If you honestly think football is going to be like every other sport, well, that pretty much sums up why most of us in the CAA chuckle when GaSt posters like you predict instant dominance by your team once they enter the CAA. xlolx
Hey genius, you are the one who said that, not me. You are the one that claimed that ODU's football program will be good because they have success in other sports, while conversely GSU will not be successful because according to you we haven't been successful in other sports -- despite having more CAA titles than Delaware. xoopsxxlolxxlolx

UNH Fanboi
December 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Can y'all take the irrelevant Delaware v. Georgia St. battle elsewhere

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Can y'all take the irrelevant Delaware v. Georgia St. battle elsewhere

Thank you. xthumbsupx

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Northeastern is not a commuter school my friend. It hasn't been for a while. The Northeastern students doomed football starting in 2001 when they crowded the streets of Boston and destroyed the place after the kick heard 'round the world. These Superbowl riots pissed off Mayor Menino and he subsequently passed a law that made all schools in the city have to acheive 51% on campus housing. Northeastern then had to spend and spend and spend some more money on housing instead of an on-campus sports facility. If NU was still a commuter school, those students wouldn't have lit the Back Bay on fire and we'd still have a football team!

Those facts are partially true.

We don't have a football team because we aren't allowed to build a stadium on our own property without the approval of the Mayor and the City Council, and because our bigoted Italian mayor and our Bigoted City council refused to let a Jewish man with a lot of money (Bob Kraft) and a school with Jewish President and a lot of money (Northeastern) work on a joint venture 3-4 years ago to build a 20,000 seat stadium on the edge of NU's campus in a lot that's been empty since I was a freshman at Northeastern.

If the City of Boston allowed NU and Bob Kraft to build a $40 million 20K stadium, NU would have the nicest football facility in the Northeast (and one of the best in the country), the NE Revolution would have a great stadium, and Lower Roxbury would be a hopping place for all ethnicities to celebrate MLS and NU students, fans and alumni could celebrate FCS football.

Northeastern was planning on having 80+% of its students in on campus housing prior to 2002. It was a directive of President Freeland from almost the time he took office.

dgreco
December 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri04_12-04-09_TQGM770_v2.301504b.html

projo chimes in, most already discussed in this thread.

Does talk about a reborn Yankee Conference

“We have to be very strategic and very smart in looking at our future,” he said. “We have to look at this as an opportunity to really sit down and think about the best way for us to put together a successful football program. . . . We’re certainly interested in playing at the highest possible level for us.”

The key to that comment is “for us.” The highest possible level for URI may be lower than the highest possible level for teams in the CAA South that have greater resources and where interest in college football is more intense.

Given that context, and economic factors such as travel costs, the re-birth of the Yankee Conference makes sense. The conference could consist of the original charter members URI, UMass, UNH and Maine, plus Albany, Stony Brook and Fordham.

Forming such a league would be relatively easy. Albany is an affiliate of the Northeast Conference, Stony Brook of the Big South and Fordham of the Patriot League. Albany and Stony Brook are in the America East in other sports, Fordham in the Atlantic 10. This seven-team conference would allow for six league games and bus trips to all league away games and would permit expansion.

Also, Yeager did a lot of hinting today about the breakup. Is it possible that 2011 we see the new Yankee?

Is this the perfect time to make such a move? Yeager said if they could get eight league games, “then maybe that answer is yes.”

LacesOut
December 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Damn! Shocking.

Sorry UB!

Wonder if Hofstra was waiting for NU to drop their bomb first, and the NU decision made it easier..........

URI has got to be next, just has to be. Will other floundering I-AA schools, no matter the conference, follow??

appstate38
December 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hey does this mean the CAA will actually have to play all the teams in their conference potentially now?

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss, Hofstra fans. This sure seems like its coming out of left field. Very surprising.

Tod
December 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
What are the Title IX implications? I don't think you can just drop 63 men's scholarships and not change anything else.

P.S. Sorry if it's already been brought up, I didn't read every post.

Fordham
December 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
i don't think there necessarily are any implications. i think there are 3 ways to achieve compliance. unless hofstra was using the 1 for 1 path, there likely aren't any issues imo.

BDKJMU
December 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
What are the Title IX implications? I don't think you can just drop 63 men's scholarships and not change anything else.

Not on this thread, but I bought this up on LFN's: "Eastern Football: Endangered Species?" thread and the NU thread last week:

Title IX lawsuit, with the men sueing???

I asked this same ? in regards to NU, and no-one answered. HU was in Title IX compliance, right?, as there was no mentioning of this being due to Title IX problems. So now with eliminating football, if all of that $ is plowed back academics as opposed into other mens' sports or some womens' teams are eliminated, would HU be out of Title IX compliance (not enough funding and percent of the athletes being men)?

I would LOVE to see a reverse Title IX lawsuit. That would be interesting.....

Fordham
December 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
due mostly to geography, there are a good # of fordham-hofstra personal connections. the word on our board is that hofstra was really impacted by the Madoff scandal. Uncle Buck or other Hofstra posters - does that ring true?

carney2
December 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

They're very good. Check out Liberty University's Spirit of the Mountain band. Better. Much better. The best I've ever seen at a FCS game.

Bull Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
due mostly to geography, there are a good # of fordham-hofstra personal connections. the word on our board is that hofstra was really impacted by the Madoff scandal. Uncle Buck or other Hofstra posters - does that ring true?

If that is / was the case, NOBODY would ever know. A veil of secrecy shrouds the administration, always has. I'd fundamentally question that piece of information since nothing... NOTHING is ever disseminated to the public and / or the fan base.

Seahawks Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM

Madoff is a Hofstra grad but I've never heard anything about them losing money with him.

Ram Ball
December 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM

Since he's arrived, the new President has been extremely supportive of the football program. See his comments from a few months ago...

Chat with URI President David Dooley - September 16, 2009 (http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/09/transcript-projocom-chat-with.html)

joed: In recent years URI has gotten rid of the boy's tennis program, the boy's swimming program and there are others just can't remember them all, but at the end of the day it would be wiser to downgrade football to a club sport, what with insurance, uniforms, coaches salaries, scholarships, travel expenses, I'm sure there is alot I'm omitting. I know you instituted tailgate parties, but people don't care about URI football, we don't win, not many Rhode Island kids are on the team, in these tough economic times it would be more justifible to get rid of football. That would be a tough decision that a new President would have to make, I know your going to give me the song and dance routine about how it's good for the school, get our name out there, the alumni want it, Providence College did it and they're not hurting, somewhere down the line with tough economic times this decision will have to be made.

David M. Dooley: I don't agree. I think our football program can be competitive and successful. And, I do think it will provide benefits for the University as a whole. I don't sing or dance well, so this is a straight answer based on what I think. We will certainly be working hard with the staff, the AD, and others to improve the program and we will be continually evaluating our progress. Time will tell whether we can be successful, but I think we can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOCKEYGUY: Any Chance that we could look at dropping 1AA football and move towards a D1 Hockey team for the men and the women?

David M. Dooley: Not in the immediate future. As I said earlier, I believe our football program can be competitive and successful even in a tough conference. And, I think it would be beneficial to the institution to have a successful football program in the FCS division. I'm a hocky fan and we have successful club teams for both men and women at URI. Budgets and circumstances permitting, I am certainly willing to look at expansion of our NCAA programs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bigsky: HI-wil you improve the atmosphere at football games and make it like it is at Montana Statte?

David M. Dooley: We have both short-term and long-term goals in this regard. Short term we want to continue to improve the game day experience for fans. I know the coaching staff and student athletes are also working very hard to be evne more competitive; I think we saw that in our first game. Long term we are looking for ways to add a modern artificial surface and lights to the field, which will also improve our program for everyone.

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM

I would wager that some of Hofstra's male olympic sports (soccer, baseball) may not have been at the NCAA max - and that's how you make up some of it. I don't know about sports like lax, track, wrestling, etc.

At NU, I'd expect men's crew, baseball, men's soccer and track to reap the benefits of lost football scholarships.

None of those sports are even close to the NCAA Max.

There was a nasty rumor a few years ago that if we dropped football, we'd build a small on campus "field" that seated about 2-3K and play soccer and start m/w lax and play on that field.

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
At NU, I'd expect men's crew, baseball, men's soccer and track to reap the benefits of lost football scholarships.

I'd bet against Men's Crew, as it's not an NCAA sponsored sport nationally. The IRA is the only official men's varsity rowing organization in the US. NESCAC is the closest secondary group and they're DIII. Northeastern's supporting that program on its own as an independent initiative. Don't get me wrong, IRA is huge in the BU/Northeastern/Harvard sphere, and SBU HATES rowing against any of the three. However, if Northeastern truly intends to widen its NCAA sphere, I'd bet on Soccer getting the largest contingent.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Just heard HU's Pres speech. rationale for drop according to him was not financial but rather that even with over 12,000 students and free tickets, very few students went to games. Board felt $$ better spent on academics since students were not interested in the team

What the prez failed to mention is that he has never done a thing to support the program and from day one we (football alumni) were skeptical of him. HU has always had an apathetic student body, but in recent years, while the number was small, we were getting more students to games. Rabinowitz never wanted to put any energy or effort into making the program work. Today's decision caught everyone completely off guard.

begs the question of what, if anything, they did to facilitate that interest.

See above about facilitating interest. When a number of loyal fans and several players approached the admin asking what we could do to help generate more interest in the program, we were turned away and our assistance was not wanted. Rabinowitz the prez came in and immediately began forcing the old guard out of our Pride Club organization and all of a sudden, the big donors were being shown the door, even the guy who dropped $3 million to build the new fieldhouse. He has to be turning over in his grave since he was a football guy.

If he said that, that is pure bullshiite. The TOTAL EXPENSES were 4.5 million. Unless you think that Hofstra didn't make one cent of revenue on football, you can't believe a thing this charlatan is saying.

Amen to that, this was his mission from day one, mark my words. The SOB didn't show up to senior day to even shake players hands. He is a coward.

Just to let you know, i drove down for that game against Elon when i was living in northern virginia. Had a great time down there.

If that is / was the case, NOBODY would ever know. A veil of secrecy shrouds the administration, always has. I'd fundamentally question that piece of information since nothing... NOTHING is ever disseminated to the public and / or the fan base.

I agree, the U would hide it. But i spoke to a very reliable source who confirmed that the U is not in any kind of financial distress. This is just the fruits of our presidents labor as he gave a rat's a$$ about football from day one and like i said we knew it. I always had it in the back of my mind, buy i never thought it would happen like this.

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'd bet against Men's Crew, as it's not an NCAA sponsored sport nationally. The IRA is the only official men's varsity rowing organization in the US. NESCAC is the closest secondary group and they're DIII. Northeastern's supporting that program on its own as an independent initiative. Don't get me wrong, IRA is huge in the BU/Northeastern/Harvard sphere, and SBU HATES rowing against any of the three. However, if Northeastern truly intends to widen its NCAA sphere, I'd bet on Soccer getting the largest contingent.

I'm well aware that Men's Crew isn't an NCAA Sport, but does Title IX specifically refer to NCAA sponsored sports?

I am not a lawyer, but I belive it refers to "Athletic Scholarships" not "NCAA sanctioned NCAA Scholarships"

Rutgers and UCLA (I believe) both dropped men's crew as part of Title IX compliance.

Here's an article from row2k.com (THE website for all things crew related) that talks about Rutgers men's crew and Title IX.

http://www.row2k.com/news/news.cfm?ID=24747

SpikeDawg
December 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Amazing- football started in NJ and it is now being abandoned in the Northeast.. Another sad day for college football, but hey- I guess Long Islanders have the Jets & Giants... Hope those Hofstra athletes find somewhere else to play- hey, we love college football in the South- check out Charleston & The Citadel!!

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm well aware that Men's Crew isn't an NCAA Sport, but does Title IX specifically refer to NCAA sponsored sports?

I am not a lawyer, but I belive it refers to "Athletic Scholarships" not "NCAA sanctioned NCAA Scholarships"

Rutgers and UCLA (I believe) both dropped men's crew as part of Title IX compliance.

Here's an article from row2k.com (THE website for all things crew related) that talks about Rutgers men's crew and Title IX.

Mmm, Row2K. How I love thee.

Yes, I looked up a few issues, such as those faced by Bucknell during its Title IX crisis. There are definitely Title IX issues on varsity men's crew. Many schools have compensated by making the team "club varsity" so its essentially sponsored by the University but endowed separately.

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Amazing- football started in NJ and it is now being abandoned in the Northeast.. Another sad day for college football, but hey- I guess Long Islanders have the Jets & Giants... Hope those Hofstra athletes find somewhere else to play- hey, we love college football in the South- check out Charleston & The Citadel!!

And Stony Brook!

WMTribe90
December 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
What a shame. Feel sorry for the Hofstra fans and players.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yes - lost in all this is the anguish which has to be felt by the HU players and coaches. The trap door was literally opened under them.

blukeys
December 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Yes - lost in all this is the anguish which has to be felt by the HU players and coaches. The trap door was literally opened under them.

Agreed, The Northeastern decision was not nearly as big a shock. The HU decision seems to have come out of the blue. The Hofstra folks have worked hard to get where they were at.
Personally, I would love to see Dave Cohen strolling the UD sidelines again. Hofstra gave up on one really great coach in making this decision.

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Anyone else wonder if Hostra & Northeastern moving to the CAA for all-sports contributed to this? They took on a lot of extra travel costs to do that and now really don't seem to have any benefit since they aren't playing football.

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Those facts are partially true.

We don't have a football team because we aren't allowed to build a stadium on our own property without the approval of the Mayor and the City Council, and because our bigoted Italian mayor and our Bigoted City council refused to let a Jewish man with a lot of money (Bob Kraft) and a school with Jewish President and a lot of money (Northeastern) work on a joint venture 3-4 years ago to build a 20,000 seat stadium on the edge of NU's campus in a lot that's been empty since I was a freshman at Northeastern.

If the City of Boston allowed NU and Bob Kraft to build a $40 million 20K stadium, NU would have the nicest football facility in the Northeast (and one of the best in the country), the NE Revolution would have a great stadium, and Lower Roxbury would be a hopping place for all ethnicities to celebrate MLS and NU students, fans and alumni could celebrate FCS football.

Northeastern was planning on having 80+% of its students in on campus housing prior to 2002. It was a directive of President Freeland from almost the time he took office.

Boy could we go on forever on this... It seems like the decision to drop HU Football was even colder and less calculated than at NU.

Husky4Life
December 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Anyone else wonder if Hostra & Northeastern moving to the CAA for all-sports contributed to this? They took on a lot of extra travel costs to do that and now really don't seem to have any benefit since they aren't playing football.

I doubt it. NU moved to the CAA before the football conference came to fruition. That was a move for the basketball program. The only other "revenue" sport at NU is hockey, and it would take a minor miracle to get hockey into the CAA.

Dane96
December 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Makes me sick to my stomach :(

SBU, now without anything resembling a geographic/demographic rival in football, has a pretty big decision. I think FBS (with Rutgers, U Conn, Buffalo, and Syracuse as natural demographic and geographic rivals) needs to be made the goal, as it's clear that stalling at FCS in metro NY does not yield a productive program (the last ones are Fordham and Wagner, two small private schools that are poor opposites with SBU). It's a very unfortunate decision, but to justify keeping the program in existence without Hofstra to compete with SBU has almost no choice but to set this long term goal into stone. What is a sad day for Hofstra may very well be the reason SBU moves FBS.

Do you ignore everything that has gone on at SBU? SBU is NOT going FBS. They were told they have to have a massive (read multiple millions) reduction in yearly spending, no arena renovation and no stadium renovations. Incidently, you are going to run into Title IX issues...and my source is an Adept person at SBU.

So...while I wouldnt be shocked at anything Fiore tries...this one aint in the cards. You would need nearly 200mm to even get this off the ground, including operating expenses, stadium renovations, marketing, scholarships, support staff...etc.

Not happening in NYS at this time. You do realize that Buffalo almost was told to drop back to FCS four years ago....right?

Dane96
December 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM

My good friend...you are 100% correct...and don't pull the "I am not a lawyer card"; you know more law than half the lawyers I know...and you didnt have to sit for the bar.

Bastahd.

Dane96
December 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I doubt it. NU moved to the CAA before the football conference came to fruition. That was a move for the basketball program. The only other "revenue" sport at NU is hockey, and it would take a minor miracle to get hockey into the CAA.

Huh? It was NU's football program that allowed the move to occur in the first place. Without football...NU isnt in the CAA.

That said, if it were the master plan (to drop football to help hoops) back when they made the move...that is one sketchy deal.

From what I know of the NU situation, that was never the case.

Husky Alum
December 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Sorry, you're wrong here.

NU was invited to the CAA BECAUSE we played football. Scary, isn't it?

The CAA wanted to be an all sports conference, but they didn't have the requisite number of football playing teams. There were 5 at the time (HU, DU, Towson, WM, JMU). They needed a 6th to take the banner from the A-10.

Enter Northeastern.

The move was made (and I know because I was involved with some of the internal talks) because NU was increasing its academic profile, and in the mid 2000s started to get more students from the DC/MD/PA/NoVa area than we did from New England.

In an attempt to better align ourselves with academic schools like Drexel, and WM and Delaware, and up and comers like GMU and JMU (Academically), we went to the CAA.

We didn't like the leadership of the AE under Chris Monasch, thought that schools like Hartford and Vermont weren't aligned athletically with the rest of the conference, and decided that the CAA was a step up in competition.

I could write an essay on the move, but if NU didn't have footbal, we would never have gotten an invite to the CAA.

rufus
December 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Also posted this over on the caazone...

Delaware's coach Keeler points to JMU as the reason for Hofstra and Northeastern dropping football.

"I think what James Madison is doing has gotten everyone's attention," said Keeler, referring to the just-begun $62 million renovation of Bridgeforth Stadium on JMU's Harrisonburg, Va., campus, and other state-of-the-art facilities there.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091204/SPORTS07/912040353/Hofstra+drops+football+program

He believes, perhaps rightly so, that JMU started an arms race, and that other schools are facing the decision whether to step up or exit the race. I would take it one step further to stay that the introduction of ODU football is the root cause. ODU's entrance was definitely an important factor in JMU's expansion plans.

Redwyn
December 4th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Do you ignore everything that has gone on at SBU? SBU is NOT going FBS. They were told they have to have a massive (read multiple millions) reduction in yearly spending, no arena renovation and no stadium renovations. Incidently, you are going to run into Title IX issues...and my source is an Adept person at SBU.

So...while I wouldnt be shocked at anything Fiore tries...this one aint in the cards. You would need nearly 200mm to even get this off the ground, including operating expenses, stadium renovations, marketing, scholarships, support staff...etc.

Not happening in NYS at this time. You do realize that Buffalo almost was told to drop back to FCS four years ago....right?

I rarely ignore things that go on at SBU. It's pretty hard to from where I am.

That being said, you're giving me little to work with here in proving your point. Right now, all I see is an Albany fan with connections who has heard what I have - that the source of athletic expenditure must change, and must change drastically. However, rather than attribute this is the natural ebb and flow of tangential university expenditure (non-academic), you're ringing the death knell. That's where you lose me.

This doesn't in any way occlude future plans. In fact, since that's where money MUST come from, it probably helps them to finally push that. Also helping them is the following -
1. School size increasing by 6-7K over next 10 years (goal is close to 28K, though I have to believe it won't get there, we're up 2.5K to 24K atm and I don't see it breaking 26 without adding in satellite campuses). This means more athletic fees and higher attendance with no accompanying expense.
2. On campus residence increasing substantially over next 3 years (means more people here on Saturday)
3. Admissions/Admins recognize connection between successful sports, higher tier student attraction and national image in a young state program (no one wants to take a step back now or ever)
4. Overall endowment (provided for by private - non state - sources) increasing rapidly, now matching or exceeding other state schools of our size.

I was aware of Buffalo's issues, but it's very hard to apply the Buffalo model to SBU since...well...they're not us. They're a strong school with their own goals based on the environment and situation presented them. However, one similarity applies. Like Buffalo, there is no longer any natural rival for SBU in FCS. Thus, there is no "big game", there is no pep rally based on a "hated rival". In essence, unless U Mass fits into this sphere (and it seems a bit far for a rivalry and I doubt they'd ever see us as one), there is really no program SBU's size in FCS in the immediate region, and thus very little impetus to sponsoring an intercollegiate competitive sport. You can point to Albany, but I'd say even in the AE that link is very, very tenuous. I don't know if you can name any school in FCS that is thriving and doesn't have a "sister rival". Now I don't know much. I won't pretend like I'm an insider here because I'm not. I used to be but medicine got in the way. However, I do know pretty simple athletics dynamics and therefore that FCS isn't really reasonable anymore.

However, like Buffalo, FBS doesn't have this problem. Buffalo found the MAC, which gives it close programs like Western and Central Michigan, the Ohio schools, Syracuse outside the conference, and the like. While I don't know anything about Buffalo's rivals, I do know FBS is a better geographic fit than FCS ever could be. Now look at Stony Brook. Our local (within 3 hours) schools are....Wagner, Fordham, Central Conn State, and....that's it (Delaware is a push at 3 hours, as is Albany and the PL). Not one of these schools seem to be on the football course or even close to the size/academic intent at Stony Brook. A Fordham man will scoff at one of ours, just as we'll openly admit we're not them.

Now FBS - Rutgers, U Conn. I like this, they fit. However, as will be pointed out, we're not budgetarily or athletically there yet by any means (though in Olympic sports we're not amazingly far from Rutgers), so no move is justified any time soon.

I like FCS football. I've been a fan ever since SBU made the move, even while we had our asses handed to us year in and year out. I see it as more noble than FBS and thus far more worth watching. However, I'm very concerned about our program, and I'm not sure that without a long term goal of FBS they can continue pushing it as hard as they have, or even defend its existence. I'd rather see it move up than cease. Long Island's rivalry is over :( . We MUST find one to replace it. Overall, athletics as a department needs to decide a course, stick to it, and push. I don't see less than an all sports move to a high major conference, likely 10-15 years from now.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Also posted this over on the caazone...

Delaware's coach Keeler points to JMU as the reason for Hofstra and Northeastern dropping football.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091204/SPORTS07/912040353/Hofstra+drops+football+program

He believes, perhaps rightly so, that JMU started an arms race, and that other schools are facing the decision whether to step up or exit the race. I would take it one step further to stay that the introduction of ODU football is the root cause. ODU's entrance was definitely an important factor in JMU's expansion plans.

Very good point.

I read an article that states the top FCS teams are really in "no mans land". They spend as much or more than many FBS teams, but dont generate the revenue. FCS football was created to control cost while still playing a high level of football.

Perhaps a scholarship reduction or more limited scholarship leagues are in order. It is a better solution than having schools drop FB right and left.

henfan
December 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Perhaps a scholarship reduction or more limited scholarship leagues are in order. It is a better solution than having schools drop FB right and left.

That's a complete mischaracterization. There are leagues in the FCS right now where schools like HU and NU could have gone and maintained 'cost containment' FB programs. Ultimately, those two schools just didn't have the institutional fortitude to continue sponsoring FB programs.

There are a good many ventures that colleges and universities pursue that, on the surface at least, don't directly bring in revenue, not the least of which are the overwhelming majority of Olympic sports programs. Schools continue funding them anyway because they are value-added, enhance the campus experience for the students, provide a source of community pride & continued alumni contact, and serve as an outlet for schools to market themselves regionally & nationally.

IMO, HU & NU's decisions, while maybe providing some immediate financial relief to other areas of those universities (don't believe the lie that this is somehow going to benefit their Olympic sport programs), were short-sighted to the extreme. There will be uncounted ways that these two schools will pay for these decisions many times over in the years ahead. The administrations at both schools have pxssed on decades of tradition for short-term gain. It's terribly sad.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 08:16 AM
That's a complete mischaracterization. There are leagues in the FCS right now where schools like HU and NU could have gone and maintained 'cost containment' FB programs. Ultimately, those two schools just didn't have the institutional fortitude to continue sponsoring FB programs.

There are a good many ventures that colleges and universities pursue that, on the surface at least, don't directly bring in revenue, not the least of which are the overwhelming majority of Olympic sports programs. Schools continue funding them anyway because they are value-added, enhance the campus experience for the students, provide a source of community pride & continued alumni contact, and serve as an outlet for schools to market themselves regionally & nationally.

IMO, HU & NU's decisions, while maybe providing some immediate financial relief to other areas of those universities (don't believe the lie that this is somehow going to benefit their Olympic sport programs), were short-sighted to the extreme. There will be uncounted ways that these two schools will pay for these decisions many times over in the years ahead. The administrations at both schools have pxssed on decades of tradition for short-term gain. It's terribly sad.

Thats what I said...perhaos MORE league with limited scholarship options will pop up and be more attractive. What are you talking about.

Ok perhaps reducing scholarship limits isnt the best idea, but all schools are squeezed right now in one way or the other and it makes more sense than having 2 programs drop from your conference in a month.

henfan
December 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Frank, you and I are agreement on one point- that reduced scholarship FB should have been an option. I don't agree at all with your view that Keeler made a good point, however.

HU & NU didn't drop FB ultimately because they couldn't keep up in the facility arms race; that's just justification for their lack of desire to find ways to make FB work. It's also a sad symptom of their poor planning prior to accepting offers to join the CAA. The lack of foresight at NU & HU is simply stunning in almost every regard.

RichH2
December 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Why is everyone so shocked at institutional lack of foresight? Academia is sanctified bureaucracy. While I have some issues with sports and academics, there should be no surprise that for most admins sports are an ugly stepchild that does not fit comfortably in their world. I wonder how many schools look for profit in their English departments?

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Frank, you and I are agreement on one point- that reduced scholarship FB should have been an option. I don't agree at all with your view that Keeler made a good point, however.

HU & NU didn't drop FB ultimately because they couldn't keep up in the facility arms race; that's just justification for their lack of desire to find ways to make FB work. It's also a sad symptom of their poor planning prior to accepting offers to join the CAA. The lack of foresight at NU & HU is simply stunning in almost every regard.

Its not the only component. Naturally I agree that HU and NU could have easily found a way to keep football if they wanted. They could have even spent less money and still have a reasonably competitive team in FCS.

I guess i'm just saying I understand Keelers logic. NU and HU already play is the best FCS conference, and they see ODU and JMU attracting huge amounts of fans and spending like crazy. I understand why they felt they could no longer compete in the CAA, but they can certainlt still compete well in FCS.

89Hen
December 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm very sorry for the Hofstra alumni and fans, but eh.

SFspidur
December 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
For those asking about Title IX compliance, Hofstra was at 60/40 in favor of the men when it came to athletic participation slots. Given that the university as a whole (undergrad) is 52/48 in favor of women, they certainly were not in Title IX compliance based on the equal opportunity prong of the Title IX test. So that means they are arguing compliance under either historical addition of women's opportunities or the flimsier claim of satisfaction of female interest.

Dropping football will bring Hofstra's athlete count to 52/48 in favor of women, just about in line with the student body.

Dane96
December 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
What was 60-40? Rides?

Three ways to meet the goal, dollars for dollars scholarships is just one way...and I have never heard a peep that Hofstra was out of compliance.

PhoenixMan
December 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Not that familiar with Hofstra, but I read that they have a 13000 seat stadium and averaged 500 for home games this year....that # included the band and cheerleaders. Time to give it up.

Dane96
December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
They averaged 4600 fans as reported all over. They got 500 students...allegedly...per game.

Time to get hooked on phonics for you.

SFspidur
December 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
What was 60-40? Rides?

Three ways to meet the goal, dollars for dollars scholarships is just one way...and I have never heard a peep that Hofstra was out of compliance.

60/40 was the ratio of athletes or participation slots. I don't know about schollies. The first prong of the Title IX test regards "participation opportunities", which typically addresses both slots and scholarships. According to federal data (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx), Hofstra had 229 slots for men and only 151 for women, or 60/40 in favor of the men. That certainly doesn't look like compliance.

The second prong is demonstrating a continual expansion of opportunities for the underrepresented sex. I don't about this one...has Hofstra added sports/slots for women in recent years and/or do they have plans for doing so in the future?

The third prong is demonstrating that the interests of the underrepresented sex have been met. This is a dangerous one almost never used because you'll always find people who want to see their sport added, so you can never realistically meet that criteria.

Of course, Title IX compliance isn't an issue until someone decides to sue you for being out of it.