PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Titans Poll (ASU vs UR)

paward
December 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Who wins? Just the facts!

SideLine Shooter
December 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
The team that gets the most points.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
conference homer-side of me----App

brain----if Armanti plays and is healthy App in a close one; if he doesn't Richmond by 2+ scores

ASU3481
December 2nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
App state in a close one...

1st fact Armanti is more healthy than last year.. prob 95% better than 70% from last year
2nd fact. I think if App can Contain Ward it could be a long day for Richmond

this will be the best game in this round.. maybe the whole playoffs..

09griz
December 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Kind of a toss up. If MT advances with a win over SFA which I suspect they will (also suspect they won't be making stupid mistakes this week as well), then I'm on the fence as to which matchup in Missoula would be better....Rematch with the team that trounced us in the NC last year? Or the Mountaineers -- Only program that matches the tradition of the Montana Grizzlies.

I'm gonna say APP wins this one.

CrackerRiley
December 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I can't pick a winner, but with a healthy AE and a full playbook to work with it should be a close game no matter what. If Apps offense is limited like it was last week: Blowout for Richmond. From what I'm not seeing, our offense should be good to go this week. Gonna be a helluva game for sure!

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
A..........REASON:....PAYBACKS.................... ..BUT AH HOPE NOT.....DOODLE-DOO!!

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Homer vote... but, App's defense is playing better than it has since 2006. If Armanti is able to run the ball (doesn't have to rack up a ton of yards... but, elude pressure and keep Richmond's D honest) I think App wins.

appmountaineer
December 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Another Homer vote. I think ASU wins. Sounds like AE is healthy.

LeadBolt
December 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
The Spiders will pull out another close one.

BearGibson
December 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Edwards will have a big game, he thrives on the big stage. ASU by 10+

SonuvaHenx2
December 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
UR in a close one.
Only because they're at home.
If it were in Boone, very different story.

Tribe07
December 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I like UR because it seems AE is not 100%. ASU does have a defense this year, and that will keep them in it, but I think UR will find a way to win at the last second like they've been so good at doing the last 2 years (cept for that 'Nova game, man that was ugly).

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
AH'M THINKIN' APPALACHIAN STATE....FO' PAYBACKS......ARACHNIDS....BEEN LIVIN' ON DUH EDGE ALL SEASON...(DELAWARE GAME..JMU GAME..WM & MARY GAME)...LUCK RUNS OUT...NOT QUITE DUH DEVASTATIN' GROUP FROM LAST SEASON...ALL-DOUGH...AH'M ROOTIN' 'EM ON....GO CAA......BRAWK/OBAMA!!

elon77
December 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I have seen them both, and if AE is close to 100% I say ASU by at least 10 points. I was most impressed with ASU when they visited us a few weeks back and I wasn't as impressed with Richmond like I was last year. Should be a good game and it sounds like it will be Boone like weather, so the fans and players in black should feel right at home.xeekx

kdinva
December 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
UR in a close one.
Only because they're at home.

......and it's a grass surface, that may be wet........xcoffeex

SpeedkingATL
December 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Impossible to predict as ASU has been a little unpredictable on both sides of the ball. If the team that beat Elon, GSU and Furman shows up the Apps roll. If the team that played McNeese, Citadel, WCU and even SCSU shows, then it's the Spiders. ASU is away from The Rock and playing on natural grass...not in their favor. I think the emergence of the defense for ASU makes the difference in a tight dual.

Homer pick-ASU by 3.xcoffeex

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I think it will come down to the play of the QBs, Ward had his worse game of the year vs Elon and Edwards certainly didn't set the world on fire vs SC St. You tell which QB will have the better game and I'll tell you will be the winner.

ASUG8
December 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I think it will come down to the play of the QBs, Ward had his worse game of the year vs Elon and Edwards certainly didn't set the world on fire vs SC St. You tell which QB will have the better game and I'll tell you will be the winner.

Good call - both QB's are coming off their worst performances of the season, so we'll see what happens. I'll echo some of the other sentiments here - I think AE's ability to play at 90%+ dictates the outcome. Assuming he and Jerry aren't lying about his ability to play fully, I'll take the homer vote with ASU +6.

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I say Brian Quick is the difference maker in this game. Watch for a big game from him.

I don't have any facts to back that up - more of a gut feeling.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Impossible to predict as ASU has been a little unpredictable on both sides of the ball. If the team that beat Elon, GSU and Furman shows up the Apps roll. If the team that played McNeese, Citadel, WCU and even SCSU shows, then it's the Spiders. ASU is away from The Rock and playing on natural grass...not in their favor. I think the emergence of the defense for ASU makes the difference in a tight dual.

Homer pick-ASU by 3.xcoffeex
If half the team that played McNeese shows up (the offense), and half the team that played WCU and SCSU (the defense), it could be a long night for the Spiders. Something like the Wofford revenge game from last Halloween.

Now, if the defense from McNeese and the offense from WCU/SCSU shows up, you can go ahead and dig a grave for the Mountaineers over in Hollywood Cemetery. In that case, I'll go ahead and predict a 46-3 Spider win.

That's 7 TD's for the Spiders with 3 missed XP's (uuuuhhh! what a bum!), and 1 FG for the Mountaineers.

I get the feeling this game will be a little like the semi's and championship in 2005 - outcome in question right up until the last part of the fourth quarter.

ASUG8
December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
......and it's a grass surface, that may be wet........xcoffeex

Look at the results against both Wofford and Furman (both very wet days, both grass surfaces). It won't impact ASU any worse than UR. I'll call the surface a push.

Edge316007
December 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

1st fact Armanti is more healthy than last year.. prob 95% better than 70% from last year

It will be very hard to top the Montana/SDSU game. Comebacks like that don't happen often.

Chalk up another home vote for App.

appirishmen
December 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
homer vote. i say App. but really this will be a close game depending on how AE is. if his reports that he is able to run and cut without problems is true, i think App is in a good boat. If he cant, it will be another long frustrating day for the App offense. Apps D has peaked the past few weeks and i think with them winning the game last week for us providing motivation, they will step up. WE MUST CONTAIN WARD!!! SCST had a better defense than Richmond does (going by total defense rankings) and they were really tough. This all depends on which team shows up for either side and who can catch the breaks.

GO APPS!

Spiderbone
December 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
AH'M THINKIN' APPALACHIAN STATE....FO' PAYBACKS......ARACHNIDS....BEEN LIVIN' ON DUH EDGE ALL SEASON...(DELAWARE GAME..JMU GAME..WM & MARY GAME)...LUCK RUNS OUT...NOT QUITE DUH DEVASTATIN' GROUP FROM LAST SEASON...ALL-DOUGH...AH'M ROOTIN' 'EM ON....GO CAA......BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Our luck ran out at the Villanova game and then we refilled the luck tank with gtown. We should have 10-12 more games left in us if you are using that as a yard stick.

ThompsonThe
December 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Been told that AE is OK, but wasn't, so many times in the last couple of years; so I have to question that.

Still think that Appalachian State wins by at least 24 points.

GrizFamily
December 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM

I wasn't aware that AE was not 100%. What's the other 5%. What is slowing him down?

I'm pulling for Ap in this one, cuz I would love to finally have the playoff match-up the MT & AP fans have been looking forward to for a very long time. We are so close to getting our wish that it worries me.....

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I wasn't aware that AE was not 100%. What's the other 5%. What is slowing him down?

I'm pulling for Ap in this one, cuz I would love to finally have the playoff match-up the MT & AP fans have been looking forward to for a very long time. We are so close to getting our wish that it worries me.....

Hurt his knee against Elon.

He actually looked pretty good when he scrambled on two or three plays against SC State last week. But, it was clear our offensive gameplan was to give him another week of rest and try to win ugly. They didn't call a single running play to him. After one of his scrambles they pulled Armanti and put in Cadet... likely to hammer home the fact with him that they did not want him to run.

Reports this week are that he will be able to run. He's been running in practice (which he didn't do this week).

Armanti Edwards, limited since spraining a medial-collateral ligament in his right knee against Elon on Nov. 14, says his knee is a lot better now.

“Definitely,” Edwards said Wednesday morning. “We get to run any play in our offense this week. I ran the ball yesterday in practice and cut on it with no problem.”

Edwards apparently is in much better shape than he was a year ago when the Mountaineers played Richmond in the quarterfinals. He was hampered with knee and hip injuries then, and said he was basically unable to run in that game. Edwards rushed for just three yards in that game and the Mountaineers, also hampered by injuries to running backs, totaled just 39 yards rushing.

“There’s no question Armanti is better than he was this time a week ago,” Moore said.

Edwards said that last year’s loss, and given that he wasn’t at full speed and threw five interceptions, adds personal motivation for this year’s game.

“It’s going to play a lot into it,” Edwards said. “(It’s) a playoff game, we don’t want to go home, and at the same time we get to face the team that put us out of the playoffs last year. There’s a lot of motivation for those two things.”

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/entry/edwards-is-ready/

They downplayed his injury last year in the press... so it's hard to say if that's what they're doing again... but, I hope he's ready and I like our chances if he is.

iceman4221
December 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am inclined to agree with the analysis put forth by SpeedkingATL...

I saw Richmond loss to Villanova this season, if it comes down to points because the offenses are humming and the defenses are failing, I would lean toward ASU... Especially if it comes down to a kick for the winner...

Appattk
December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hurt his knee against Elon.

More like Elon HURT his knee.. 2 years in a row is still suspicious.... xeyebrowx

ASUG8
December 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
More like Elon HURT his knee.. 2 years in a row is still suspicious.... xeyebrowx

Gotta let it go, man - Elon can't hurt AE anymore. Focus on the arachnids. xthumbsupx

Aho_Old_Guy
December 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Last 3 Appalachian playoff games

INTs: 10
FUMs: 6 (at least)
* lost: 5
3rd down efficiency: 45% (prior to last week it was 37%)
Yards per rush: 2.3

My prognostication: Do Better = Win Ballgame

(if not ... Go Spideys / Beat Griz)

HappyAppy13
December 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
i'm really hoping for a ton of crazy APP FANS!!! also, wouldnt mind seeing full sitting on the home side...packed house=better atmosphere!

pickin the Neers here... 30-17 in a cold/wet/snowy? grid iron matchup!

ASU3481
December 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Aho_Old_Guy;1485278]Last 3 Appalachian playoff games

INTs: 10
FUMs: 6 (at least)
* lost: 5
3rd down efficiency: 45% (prior to last week it was 37%)
Yards per rush: 2.3

My prognostication: Do Better = Win Ballgame

100% agreed.... like i said if armanti can run.. we win.. if he can't like last year richmond will win. honestly after the Wofford game I think we have been the best team in the FCS.. alot of people would disagree.. but are Defense has done alot better since that game... here is my prrognostication.

Keys to Victory
Richmond- 1.D Stops Apps offense
2.Richmond's Offense runs all over Apps d.
3. No Turnovers
4. Kicking game has to be soild
if these are done Rich 35 App 21

Appalachian State- 1.Defense Must Contain Ward. and PRESSURE!!!!
2.Armanti Has to be able to run if he can long day for richmond
3.Kicking Game has to be Soild
4. No Turnovers
if these are done APP 42 Rich 28

biggie
December 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
App's DL has to go into every play thinking Ward will run everytime. If he happens to throw let the DBs handle it. Just don't run back to a place on the field where you expect him to be, keep an eye on him and fill the lanes.

HappyAppy13
December 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
App's DL has to go into every play thinking Ward will run everytime. If he happens to throw let the DBs handle it. Just don't run back to a place on the field where you expect him to be, keep an eye on him and fill the lanes.

i totally agree!!xthumbsupx
our DL has really stepped up the past few weeks (along with the rest of our D)
but ive noticed a difference through the lsat couple games from their play. they seem to be making more big plays with each game

Spiderbone
December 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

While I agree Ward had his worst game of the year from a passing standpoint, I think he did pretty good in the rushing department of 140 yards and a TD, best performance of his career

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Key will be if the Spider D can force turnovers and if the offense can score touchdowns in the redzone. Those have two areas that we have really been inconsistent with this year.

I do think that the odds are very high that this game comes down to a last second field goal.

soccerguy315
December 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Appalachian State- 1.Defense Must Contain Ward. and PRESSURE!!!!
2.Armanti Has to be able to run if he can long day for richmond
3.Kicking Game has to be Soild
4. No Turnovers
if these are done APP 42 Rich 28

ASU might well win, but 42 points is a lot to score on UR. If UR scores in the upper 20s I think ASU is going to be in trouble.

LeadBolt
December 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking it will be ugly with UR finding a way to squeak out a win at home one last time.

ASUG8
December 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
ASU has beaten 5 of the top 30 defenses this season, although AE was at or near full strength in all but the SCSU game. I like ASU's chances if AE can again pose a dual threat - his passing has been stellar this season except for last week. Both QB's are coming off relatively poor performances, both are seniors, and both have an axe to grind against the opponent.

jmufan999
December 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
it doesn't worry any of you app state fans that your big FCS loss was to McNeese State.... who then got absolutely embarrassed by UNH, the CAA's #3 team.... at home? and now you're playing the CAA's #2 team and defending national champs (whose only loss is by 1 to Villanova).... and the team that shallacked you at home last year.... and is now playing at THEIR house? and also, that you struggled to beat a MEAC team last week? no offense to the MEAC intended, but the fact is that they're 4-21 in playoff appearances since the NCAA went to the 16 team format. and yes, i watched the game.

i'm not saying you won't win, not saying that at all. but there is an unbelievable amount of optimism from Mountaineer fans despite all these facts.

jmufan999
December 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Aho_Old_Guy;1485278][U]like i said if armanti can run.. we win..

don't you think that if you struggled to run against the 11th ranked team (84 yards rushing) in the country against the run (SCSU), you might also struggle against the 3rd ranked team against the run, Richmond?

MasonJar
December 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
The team that gets the most points.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Or, the team that gives up the fewest points! xeyebrowx

The Moody1
December 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
it doesn't worry any of you app state fans that your big FCS loss was to McNeese State.... who then got absolutely embarrassed by UNH, the CAA's #3 team.... at home? and now you're playing the CAA's #2 team and defending national champs (whose only loss is by 1 to Villanova).... and the team that shallacked you at home last year.... and is now playing at THEIR house? and also, that you struggled to beat a MEAC team last week? no offense to the MEAC intended, but the fact is that they're 4-21 in playoff appearances since the NCAA went to the 16 team format. and yes, i watched the game.

i'm not saying you won't win, not saying that at all. but there is an unbelievable amount of optimism from Mountaineer fans despite all these facts.

I am not worried in the least by what you point out. McNeese was Armanti's first game back after missing all of spring and fall camps. Our defense has undergone major personnel and attitude changes. I think that MEAC team you mentioned could have won a couple of play-off games if they would have gotten a better draw. Throw out what has happened earlier. This will be a great game and I have a great feeling about the outcome.

The Moody1
December 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=ASU3481;1485313]

don't you think that if you struggled to run against the 11th ranked team (84 yards rushing) in the country against the run (SCSU), you might also struggle against the 3rd ranked team against the run, Richmond?

No, because no running plays were called for Armanti against SC State. His threat to run opens it up for the other guys. I believe we will see a big difference this week.

DLS
December 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM

it's not about where a team begins their season but where they end up. pendland would not be able to handle our defense now.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM

If this were September or October I think most App fans would feel we would lose this one. Our defense was having a hard time stopping anyone. If our defense played the way they did against McNeese... we WILL lose. But, our defense has been playing absolutely LIGHTS OUT. They won our last two games for us. Our offense is more of a concern right now... but, I feel with a healthier and motivated Armanti... we will score enough points to win. xnodx

ASUG8
December 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=ASU3481;1485313]

did you even watch the game, or just Google the box score? Did you note that AE ran the ball TWICE in the game, and slid both times instead of taking the hit like he usually does?

Did you notice that we beat the #2 defensive team in the country 28-10 at their place (the same ones UR struggled to beat AT HOME last week with a blocked field goal)?

Don't bother with the transitive property - this game will be settled tomorrow. According to AE and Jerry Moore, the full playbook will be open this week. If we lose, then good luck spiders. You can catch it comfortably from home since there's no JMU football to watch.xpeacex

Apps03
December 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Don't you think Richmond should be worried since they struggled to beat a team (Elon) that App blew out? This game is fun! Richmond shouldn't look at the McNeese game as an indicator any more than App should look at the Elon/Richmond game.

Black and Gold Express
December 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM

It doesn't worry at all because the defense that got run over by McNeese looks nothing like the defense that has taken the field since the 5th week of the season. Maybe the biggest improvement of a unit I have seen over the course of the season. I am a strong proponent of "you are you you are after the first quarter of the season" but this year's defense has gone against that theory quite impressively.

We've had a National Championship caliber offense all year long (though I don't like that we have a bigger dropoff when Cadet takes snaps than I would have thought). Now we have a defense that may not be top 5, but is no longer a reason for worry why we may or may not win a game. We did not have that defense when McNeese came to town.

theasushow
December 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM

how dare we show such optimism in our team.
oh and the little rant about unh and mcneese and blah blah blah blah has absolutely nothing to do with saturday's game.

ThompsonThe
December 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM

We are Appalachian....We expect to Win !!!

Anyone, anywhere, anytime, any conditions.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 03:26 PM
It is all up to the Spiders. If we turn it over too much we will get edged (see our only loss and close games). Otherwise we win, again.

Yup. You're right. It's all up to Richmond. Our guys just need to go through the motions and hope Richmond comes out flat and decides to turn it over a bunch! Our guys shouldn't have too much to do with the outcome.

theasushow
December 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
It is all up to the Spiders. If we turn it over too much we will get edged (see our only loss and close games). Otherwise we win, again.

xeyebrowx

spdram
December 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Both teams have too high expectations and to much experience to let the weather, the crowds, or anything else affect them -- this one will be won or lost on the field.

AppStsGr8
December 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM

You are correct that App lost to McNeese St the second week of the season. You are also correct that App did not blow SCSU off the field last week. If you follow your illogic, you'll also need to add that Richmond (at home last week) barely squeaked by a SoCon team that App beat handily playing away (two weeks earlier).

The bottom line is that the game is tomorrow between the previous 4 national champions. They've both earned the right to play the game. Forget the conference; forget every other game played so far this season. This is the playoffs. A win tomorrow means the winner gets to play again; the loser goes home.

I'm in Richmond ready to cheer my beloved Mountaineers to a win! Go APP!

ncman071
December 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, we struggled with a MEAC team. That must mean we'll lose by 600 points to Richmond. Richmond is gonna dominate us in every phase of the game and we won't stand a chance...Geegollygosh....I don't know why App even shows up!

asknoquarter21
December 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
You are correct that App lost to McNeese St the second week of the season. You are also correct that App did not blow SCSU off the field last week. If you follow your illogic, you'll also need to add that Richmond (at home last week) barely squeaked by a SoCon team that App beat handily playing away (two weeks earlier).

The bottom line is that the game is tomorrow between the previous 4 national champions. They've both earned the right to play the game. Forget the conference; forget every other game played so far this season. This is the playoffs. A win tomorrow means the winner gets to play again; the loser goes home.

I'm in Richmond ready to cheer my beloved Mountaineers to a win! Go APP!

Exactly!

I like to think that both teams were just looking forward to this game last week. Both teams played poorly last week and I wouldn't expect to see that from either tomorrow.

Let's not forget UR hasn't seen AE healthy since he ran for 313 yards on them. That is over 3 football fields of running. In a playoff game.

Of course, AE isn't as good as he once was and ASU certainly isn't as good as our 3 National Championship teams, and this years Richmond team is much better than last year after losing 2 elite DEs and a RB that ran for 1800 yards last year.

Eric Ward and Armanti Edwards is going to be a great matchup of two excellent football players that know how to win.

Brian Quick vs Justin Rodgers is a matchup I am very excited about seeing. Last year quick fell down twice on deep routes that resulted in INTs. A very good matchup right here.

Can ASU's defense stop Forte the way they did William Ford?

Prediction: ASU will be outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed and will lose by 63.

ViennaSpider
December 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Ward may have had his worst game but he still managed a career-high 136 yards running. Edwards was far worse last week in the running department; he gained an atypical 31 yards on 9 carries. He'll have to do much better tomorrow. The abysmal weather forecast may present limited scoring opportunities for both QBs. Consequently, I think that the outcome may come down to which team has the better field goal unit. This is of some concern to me. Hopefully, we'll see the Andrew Howard who won the W&M game with a 48 yard field goal in the last 2 seconds and not the one who was 2 feet wide-left to end the Spider's chances against Nova. Homer call: UR by 3.

HappyAppy13
December 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ward may have had his worst game but he still managed a career-high 136 yards running. Edwards was far worse last week in the running department; he gained an atypical 31 yards on 9 carries. He'll have to do much better tomorrow. The abysmal weather forecast may present limited scoring opportunities for both QBs. Consequently, I think that the outcome may come down to which team has the better field goal unit. This is of some concern to me. Hopefully, we'll see the Andrew Howard who won the W&M game with a 48 yard field goal in the last 2 seconds and not the one who was 2 feet wide-left to end the Spider's chances against Nova. Homer call: UR by 3.

but AE wasnt even allowed to run last week....thats why he ran twice and tried to force thwros...

he'll def be better tomorrow!

back2back
December 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Dude compare this App by 17 at Elon, UR by 3 at home and Elon can't kick a field goal in its last two attempts! And by the way take a knee and kick the FG.xoopsxxoopsxxoopsx