PDA

View Full Version : HC London leaving Richmond

Phoenix87
December 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Tons of rumors are flying and there is going to be a big shake up over the next month or two as coaches move from one school to another. London's name has continually come up over the past 48 hours for the UVA and Marshall job. Do you Richmond alum/fans think he is leaving for sure, and if so, who do you go after for your next coach? On UVA's Rival site, a recent article states that London is gone for sure, and that it's just a matter of where he heads that is still in question.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Can anybody even talk to London before UR's eliminated? I don't know what the rules are.

Phoenix87
December 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
Almost all coaches have agents these days and schools can contact their agents about open jobs. The agent is usual the middle man initially, and then the coach gets directly involved. Over the past several years, that seems to be the way coaching searches have gone. Unless there is a clause in London's contract with Richmond, I don't think there is anything that doesn't allow schools to contact him.

ur2k
December 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
We play App state this weekend - that's the priority. All this other crap will work itself out after our season is over in a few weeks.

Husky4Life
December 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
We play App state this weekend - that's the priority. All this other crap will work itself out after our season is over in a few weeks.

To steal one from Charlie Weis, we're playing Appalachian State this week. This is App State week. Does anyone have any questions about App State? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Saint3333
December 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
That's exactly what he said in his presser today. He did say that "the hypothetical situation hadn't occurred 'yet'".

nevadagriz
December 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
London seems like a great coach! My only question would be recruiting??? wasn't last year his first recruiting class??? how good of a recruiter is he.

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hey, I have a great idea...let's start ANOTHER thread about Mike London leaving Richmond! Woohoo!

We are happy to have the most sought-after coach in the FCS. We hope he doesn't leave. Yes, he is an excellent recruiter and has done a tremendous job signing top-rated classes early in the process. Most of his recruits have not played yet, but he's getting players that a lot of other programs, including some FBS schools, wanted. He is an experienced recruiter in the Hampton Roads area, one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation.

Next topic.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Rece Davis just reported on College Football Live that London is the top target of UVA.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Rece Davis just reported on College Football Live that London is the top target of UVA.

Saw that and my head snapped right to the TV. I can't believe those rumors are out there so openly already. That's the most FCS coverage I've seen on ESPN since last December.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Saw that and my head snapped right to the TV. I can't believe those rumors are out there so openly already. That's the most FCS coverage I've seen on ESPN since last December.

Armanti's lawnmower injury, his "Houdini" play against Samford (http://www.vimeo.com/6772819), and Montana's comeback against SDSU all got a decent amount of coverage.

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM

You must have missed that awesome "selection show" that aired on ESPNews. Of course, if you left the room to fart and came back, you did miss it.xnodx

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM

I know all Spider fans don't want to hear this - If I were representing UVA I would hire London in a second - He is a proven winner, he knows UVA and the ACC and he is young, energetic, intelligent and enthusiastic - UVA needs a new direction from the old 3 yards and close of dust philosophy and my guess is London would be a great representative of the university ----

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
We have all known from the day we hired him that London was viewed by some at UVA as their coach-in-waiting. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't be. None of this speculation is surprising.

UVA also has a long history of making boneheaded hires, so it's hard to know what they will or won't do this time. Our president also came from UVA and is viewed as a possible replacement for their outgoing president. Hopefully neither one happens. We don't have a medical school or as many students, but otherwise we are on par with UVA in every way.

wr70beh
December 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
UVA has hired Chuck Neinas to conduct the search.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4429850

I don't know how that will affect where London is on the list.

MaxASU'81
December 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
We are happy to have the most sought-after coach in the FCS.

Next topic.

If Jerry Moore said right this second that he was looking to coach elsewhere...he would beat London out at every job opening that they were considered for! xpeacex

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
If Jerry Moore said right this second that he was looking to coach elsewhere...he would beat London out at every job opening that they were considered for! xpeacex

Agree to disagree. Are you suggesting that London has announced publicly that he IS looking to coach elsewhere? Actually, he has only said the opposite. FBS teams are talking about him because they are interested, not because they think he is interested.

I would submit to you that if FBS teams were interested in Moore, they would contact him too, even if they thought he was not interested in moving. (And maybe some have, I just haven't heard him mentioned much.) Money talks. FBS teams could pay both coaches more than either of our schools could.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM

As much as I admire Coach Moore with what he has done and more importantly HOW he did it, I would say the only school that would take him over London would be one looking for a quick fix - simply meaning Coach Moore probably won't be coaching for 10+ more years (although I hope he is still walking the sidelines of KBS 10 years from now)

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Tons of rumors are flying and there is going to be a big shake up over the next month or two as coaches move from one school to another. London's name has continually come up over the past 48 hours for the UVA and Marshall job. Do you Richmond alum/fans think he is leaving for sure, and if so, who do you go after for your next coach? On UVA's Rival site, a recent article states that London is gone for sure, and that it's just a matter of where he heads that is still in question.

Gee Phoenix 87, there is no other UVA/London thread. Good thing you started this one so we can now speculate. xrolleyesx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66379

Phoenix87
December 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
haha i didnt see that. between footballscoop.com, Rivals, ESPN, and from several other coaches I know in I-A I have heard London's name come up repeatedly over the past 48 hours. was interested to see what the UR fans and everyone else in the FCS thought about London leaving.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM

i disagree. i think that undermines the influence that our assistant coaches have, as well as how good london is as a HCxcoffeex plus, you have too look at the distant future

ItsyBitsySpider
December 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Not going to worry about it. It will sort itself out. This is a high water mark for UR sports. The football team is defending its national title and the basketball team is out to a 6-1 start with wins over Missouri and Mississippi St. Got to enjoy what we have for now.

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Skinny I heard on ESPN radio down here in Virginia Beach is that Al Golden (temple head coach and former UVA assistant) is the number one guy to replace Groh. He has done some great things at Temple of late and their ACADEMIC mindset also fits that of UVA. I think number two on the list is Bobby Bowden (not).

Dane96
December 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Academic mindset? This was the school that perfected the use of "PROP 48" along with UMASS.

Yes, they have a good medical school and law school..but I dont think the football team is picking through the applications to admit high-quality student athletes.

That said, Al Golden has done a great job there.

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Academic mindset? This was the school that perfected the use of "PROP 48" along with UMASS.

Yes, they have a good medical school and law school..but I dont think the football team is picking through the applications to admit high-quality student athletes.

That said, Al Golden has done a great job there.

I agree with you in regards to Temple....perhaps I was thinking about the offensive lineman only. xthumbsupxxreadx

ngineer
December 1st, 2009, 10:01 PM

Charlie Weis!xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Us Temple folks are holding our breath. Our hope is that with all that's returning for next year that in one year Golden could punch his ticket to a better program.

I will say that the academic comparisions between Virginia and Temple are nice although "slightly" unfounded, lol. We can hold our own in somethings, law, medical and business, but as a whole UVA is the superior institution.

GreatAppSt
December 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
I've seen Londons name on a couple of Notre Dame boards. Could it be?xeekx

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM

I have seen his name on a couple of Political boards...could it be...President London????!?!?xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM

No way in the world does ND hire London. There's a 100 names flying around but i promise you London is not on the short, medium or long list.

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
No way in the world does ND hire London. There's a 100 names flying around but i promise you London is not on the short, medium or long list.

but that would be totally awesome in some respects, it might actually make me a ND Fan!

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 11:11 PM
but that would be totally awesome in some respects, it might actually make me a ND Fan!

It's going to be Jim Harbaugh. That might make me a ND fan.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I know Spider fans are focused on this weekend's game, but for the other inquiring minds (read: those of us out of the playoffs with nothing else to do), here is today's ACC Mailblog from ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc

Jean N. in Bentonville, Ark., writes: Heather,I've enjoyed your blog this year. My question concerns the coaching situation at Virginia. There's a lot of names out there (Al Golden for sure), but with so many contrasting styles in the conference, what would you think about someone like Gus Malzahn bringing his bag of tricks to Charlottesville?Thanks for your time,JN

HD: Thanks for reading, Jean. Considering how much Virginia started to use the Wildcat formation in the final few weeks of the season, it sounds like a good fit, but I'm hearing Mike London is the frontrunner right now.

Spiderbone
December 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I know Spider fans are focused on this weekend's game, but for the other inquiring minds (read: those of us out of the playoffs with nothing else to do), here is today's ACC Mailblog from ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!xbawlingx

paward
December 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Bump so we do not start another thread on this one.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Losing 15+ senior starters and a great head coach, I hope UR fans are patient in 2010.

Eight Legger
December 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I like our chances of winning 6 or 7 games next year...although our schedule is in flux. UVA dropped its game against us and we were supposed to play Northeastern next year too (although I think with the realigned CAA 8-game schedule, that won't matter now). We bring back enough to be pretty competitive, but it will depend how the new QB (Laub) adjusts to life as a starter.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
This is pretty much a done deal. I've heard that he has already received an offer from UVa for big money and some players think he will be gone as soon as Monday or Tuesday.

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
yeah, his post game new conference last night kinda sounded like he may be headed for the ACC.

wr70beh
December 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Joe Schad is reporting it is a done deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4720426

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Wow, that didn't take long.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
ASU has a couple of open dates in 2010, UR have any interest in coming to Boone next year?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
ASU has a couple of open dates in 2010, UR have any interest in coming to Boone next year?

If UVA drops (and pays us) ... and you will pay us to come down ... I don't see why not!

Otherwise, we'll need to find another FBS game.

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Joe Schad is reporting it is a done deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4720426

Who are U going after? Lembo?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Who are U going after? Lembo?

What do you guys think about Higgins of The Citadel? I know we talked to him last time around when we hired London.

Clearly they aren't competing very well in the SoCon, but are they on an uneven playing field, as far as recruiting?

Eight Legger
December 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I expect Lembo will be on the list, along with Higgins and probably Russ Huesmann (though I don't see Russ leaving UTC after just a year there). My darkhorse is Tom Gilmore of Holy Cross. Very similar resume to Dave Clawson at the same point of their careers.

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
If UVA drops (and pays us) ... and you will pay us to come down ... I don't see why not!

UR cancelled the four year deal with Georgetown, so that week's open (10/23/10)

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
UR cancelled the four year deal with Georgetown, so that week's open (10/23/10)

Aside from UVA dropping us, we had a full calendar ... assuming we still play 8 CAA games. Non conf games with Elon and Coast Carolina here.

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
This stinks. Two very tough pills for the Spider family in 2 days.

I know you guys like London, but can you promise you won't start rooting for UVA now?

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
No way Huesmann leaves his alma mater for another FCS school. Gilmore from Holy Cross is a pretty intriguing possibility. Y'all think he could recruit Virginia? London was a great recruiter and y'all will have more competition for the players with ODU.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM

ASU paid McNeese last year and NAU a couple years ago, sounds like a plan to me.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
No way Huesmann leaves his alma mater for another FCS school. Gilmore from Holy Cross is a pretty intriguing possibility. Y'all think he could recruit Virginia? London was a great recruiter and y'all will have more competition for the players with ODU.

Agree on Huesman.

19Duke97
December 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
This is about as shocking as the sun rising tomorrow. Handwriting has been all over the wall for the past 2 months.

StonewallSpider
December 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I wonder what this is about

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88791&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204845263

DFW HOYA
December 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I wonder what this is about

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88791&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204845263

"Due to the capacity of the facility, the press conference is not open to the public."

Yeah, not a lot of seats in that arena... xlolx

ThompsonThe
December 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Russ Huesmann has done a great job, really hard to believe he has done so much so fast. Higgins at The Citadel has really improved also. Either one could do a great job.

furpal87
December 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I don't mean this to sound disparaging to London, but if they got Neinas to conduct a national search, I guess the questions are:

1) How much did he look?
2) How much actual interest is there in the UVA job?

I mean London was my guess from back in September, but you would think an ACC school would have some interest

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't mean this to sound disparaging to London, but if they got Neinas to conduct a national search, I guess the questions are:

1) How much did he look?
2) How much actual interest is there in the UVA job?

I mean London was my guess from back in September, but you would think an ACC school would have some interest

I agree with you. Hard to understand why they hire a 'search consultant' to find such an obvious, local candidate.

jmu_duke07
December 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Reading between the lines from London's post game press conference, it seemed as though he knew the job was coming his way. UVA is really going out on a limb hiring him... Great guy who can coach, but '?' at his ability to recruit.

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Reading between the lines from London's post game press conference, it seemed as though he knew the job was coming his way. UVA is really going out on a limb hiring him... Great guy who can coach, but '?' at his ability to recruit.

apparently he was in charge of recruiting during part of his time at UVA (I think I read this? early 2000s?)... so maybe not a question mark to those in Charlottesville.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM

Where can I listen and/or watch the post game press conferences?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Hopefully this is true. As of now it does appear Al Golden will be back at Temple in 2010. Obviously that can change but i don't see any job that would suite him once UVA is locked up.

DTSpider
December 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Wow - very quick. Look for UR to take a hard look at Greg Gregory, the OC at USF. I believe he was our #2 choice when we hired London. Given how recently that was...seems like he'd be a natural to come back.

BDKJMU
December 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
London apparently has accepted:

London era begins at UVa
http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/london_era_begins_at_uva/49724/

http://www.thesabre.com/home

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Press conference today at 1:00.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-london-virginia-1206,0,7945921.story

JMU Newbill
December 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
How many different threads will be started on this by... noon... today? My guess is 5.

SU Jag
December 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Congrats! I wish that brotha well in the land of the hoos. Hopefully he can get uva up and running, and competing for an acc title.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Any idea who will replace London ay Richmond.

Could they look at current OC Mike Faragilli?

Ivytalk
December 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Congrats and best wishes to Coach London!xthumbsupx

ur2k
December 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Any idea who will replace London ay Richmond.

Could they look at current OC Mike Faragilli?

Your guess is as good as ours. I would imagine Faragalli and Vic Shealy (Defensive Coordinator) would be the internal candidates.

Externally, who knows? Some names thrown around on our board are the coaches at Liberty, The Citadel & Holy Cross. But those are us wishfully thinking.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Your guess is as good as ours. I would imagine Faragalli and Vic Shealy (Defensive Coordinator) would be the internal candidates.

Externally, who knows? Some names thrown around on our board are the coaches at Liberty, The Citadel & Holy Cross. But those are us wishfully thinking.

They would all be good choices.

Faragalli was my coach at Lafayette early this decade. He is a really good guy and good coach. I would love to see him get a shot, but I understand if Richmond would like to look elsewhere.

Mike was the HC of the Toronto Agronauts at one point in the CFL, so he does have some experience.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM

If you could snatch Rocco from Liberty it would be a steal for you all. There are rumors that he is in line for the Marshall job.

It would be difficult, but I think talking Huesman (I didn't spell that right) into coming back would be great, too.

I just hope the Spider faithful realize the new coach is inheriting a young team (albeit a talented young team) and cut him some slack if things don't go his way next year.

19Duke97
December 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
If you could snatch Rocco from Liberty it would be a steal for you all. There are rumors that he is in line for the Marshall job.

It would be difficult, but I think talking Huesman (I didn't spell that right) into coming back would be great, too.

I just hope the Spider faithful realize the new coach is inheriting a young team (albeit a talented young team) and cut him some slack if things don't go his way next year.

I was thinking about that - what would be the draw for Rocco to UR? I mean LU has larger plans than UR does, so he could stay and grow that, or move to BCS. I don't see him taking essentially a side step at best, even if UR offered a ton of cash.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I was thinking about that - what would be the draw for Rocco to UR? I mean LU has larger plans than UR does, so he could stay and grow that, or move to BCS. I don't see him taking essentially a side step at best, even if UR offered a ton of cash.

The only draw is UR's history of success and being in the CAA. But the Big South is getting an auotbid and will presumably be stepping up in terms of talent.

From a facilities standpoint, LU is definitely improving their facilities from a size standpoint, but UR's upgrades are substantial too, just not in size.

Even with the facilities issue, I think UR is a step up from LU.

FCS Go!
December 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Spot on!

jcmanson
December 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Rocco's not going to Richmond. Keep dreaming. LU will match and/or beat whatever money UR throws at him.

And that's if we even need to.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I believe Higgins and Gilmore will be top canditates considered. I agree that Russ ain't coming back and we aren't in the ballpark on Rocco.

kdinva
December 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
London's salary at UVa. is...............$1,700,000xeekx...........I guessed $800,000 to $1,000,000.........no wonder he was allegedly "distracted" last week.

http://www.vasportsnow.com/2009/12/07/the-official-mike-london-release-from-u-va/#more-1967

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM
London's salary at UVa. is...............$1,700,000xeekx...........I guessed $800,000 to $1,000,000.........no wonder he was allegedly "distracted" last week.

http://www.vasportsnow.com/2009/12/07/the-official-mike-london-release-from-u-va/#more-1967

Hopefully he sends some of it back to the Spider Club!!

BDKJMU
December 7th, 2009, 01:02 PM

If you can do math that's 340k a year over 5 years. xpeacex That would put him at or near the bottom for the ACC, and is pretty low for a BCS HC.

I imagine he was getting what, around 200k+ base at UR?, so a substantial pay increase none the less.

ur2k
December 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
If you can do math that's 340k a year over 5 years. xpeacex That would put him at or near the bottom for the ACC, and is pretty low for a BCS HC.

I imagine he was getting what, around 200k+ base at UR?, so a substantial pay increase none the less.

$1.7 per year for 5 years. Not total.

Woof
December 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM

7 kids ? He's got a lot of mouths to feed!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think it's going to be tough to win at UVA. I understand Golden is ultimately going to leave Temple but i'm glad he didn't take this job. Outside of 1990 and that one Thrus night in '95 UVA has been nothing more than decent. This is one school where the position seems very thankless.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
As much as I hate them, there is no reason UVA shouldn't win regularly. They have great facilities, a big name school, some pretty solid history of turning out NFL players and they play in a state rich with talent and in a BCS league. Their problem is they get killed by Va. Tech recruiting in state. London will change that and even the playing field a little, and they'll win soon, much to my chagrin.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
As much as I hate them, there is no reason UVA shouldn't win regularly. They have great facilities, a big name school, some pretty solid history of turning out NFL players and they play in a state rich with talent and in a BCS league. Their problem is they get killed by Va. Tech recruiting in state. London will change that and even the playing field a little, and they'll win soon, much to my chagrin.

Yep. If you look at Oregon and Oregon State, they somehow both field solid programs most years. There's no reason that London, with some quality recruiting couldn't put Virginia in the conversation with the top half of the ACC, instead of with Duke.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM

But win how much? What are the expectations at UVA? IMO, they're quite high even higher than those for bball. Historically speaking, it's almost impossible to win 10 games. Welsh was able to do it in '89. But going back to the mid 60's, UVA has never been very good. Maybe London is the guy to finally get UVA past 8-9 wins a year. Otherwise he'll be just like the rest which hasn't been good enough for those in Charlottesville.

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Agreed. UVA is a great place to play and watch a gamexthumbsupx. The only tough hurdle would be the academic requirements (better than tech) but he should have no problem coming from a school along the same lines (UR).

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
But win how much? What are the expectations at UVA? IMO, they're quite high even higher than those for bball. Historically speaking, it's almost impossible to win 10 games. Welsh was able to do it in '89. But going back to the mid 60's, UVA has never been very good. Maybe London is the guy to finally get UVA past 8-9 wins a year. Otherwise he'll be just like the rest which hasn't been good enough for those in Charlottesville.

Groh never got past 9 but he had WAY too many down years. London should make them competitive every year and I think the Hoos will be happy with 8/9 Wins and a win over VT 1/2 the time...

UNH Fanboi
December 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM
apparently he was in charge of recruiting during part of his time at UVA (I think I read this? early 2000s?)... so maybe not a question mark to those in Charlottesville.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4722184

Yeah, he was in charge of recruiting from 2001-04. Also, the fact that he is black may be helpful somewhat in recruiting black players.

CvilleDukes
December 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Never thought my first post on AGS would be in regards to a FBS school, but I've followed UVA football since I was old enough to follow football. Most UVA fans are happy to get back to consistently winning 7 games a year just as they did during the George Welch years. Anything above that is gravy. During Groh's early tenure, things were fine as he was able to get UVA back to that level.

The big problem right now is that UVA football is not relevant. Fans just want the team to be in the conversation at the end of the year. I think London will be able to get the team there as he was able to recruit well during his first UVA stint, and he's a good motivator unlike Groh. He'll be able to pull in some of the recruits that VA Tech has been taking, and he'll be in good graces with many of the Virginia high school coaches. That's something that Groh wasn't.

SpiderSafety75
December 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm happy for mike, but this is a head-scratcher. As others have pointed out, he's played well, but with someone else's deck of cards. He admits to not being an x-o's guy. He has so little head coaching experience. I was really thinking 2 more years exp. before someone like UVa would be looking at someone like mike. I hope he does well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

soccerguy315
December 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
a lot of head coaches are more people managers than x's and o's, at least, that is my perception.

SpiderSafety75
December 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Yes, they are. But Mike sure seems like a lot of hat and not a lot of cattle to go out on a five-year limb with...unless UVa felt like an established guy wasn't available to them ...which may be true.

Let's put it this way...he's a bit behind the fellow over there at Va Tach...and ultimately, that's the measuring stick, whether Cavalier fans like it or not.

Franks Tanks
December 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Yes, they are. But Mike sure seems like a lot of hat and not a lot of cattle to go out on a five-year limb with...unless UVa felt like an established guy wasn't available to them ...which may be true.

Let's put it this way...he's a bit behind the fellow over there at Va Tach...and ultimately, that's the measuring stick, whether Cavalier fans like it or not.

Why did they pay him so much?

1.7 per is experienced HC money. A first time FBS head coach should be estatic with a million per year, and they probably could have got him for 700-800k range.

Just because UVA can pay that much doesnt mean they have too.

whoanellie
December 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Why did they pay him so much?

1.7 per is experienced HC money. A first time FBS head coach should be estatic with a million per year, and they probably could have got him for 700-800k range.

Just because UVA can pay that much doesnt mean they have too. He better get the 'Hoos to a bowl game ASAP!!!

AAadict
December 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Amazing how colleges who face serious budget issues (not saying UVA is in that category) can fire coaches years before their contract expires and pay TWO coaches for years. Any indication of how much $ FBS schools make off college amature athletes?

ncguitarplyr
December 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM
who is Richmond getting to replace him?

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Huesman (I wish)

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Gilmore from Holy Cross

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Will Richmond ever be the same? I don't know much about the program but losing the Head coach, defensive coordinator, and offensive coordinator in a 3 year span has to be big, especially for recruiting

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how they do next year. They're going to have a new coach, new stadium, and losing 15 or 16 starting seniors.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Will Richmond ever be the same? I don't know much about the program but losing the Head coach, defensive coordinator, and offensive coordinator in a 3 year span has to be big, especially for recruiting

We won the title the year after Clawson left. I don't think that this will hurt them THAT much. London was a great coach and a very well liked coach by the players, but just like he replaced Clawson, someone will replace him. We've got an established program now, a new on-campus stadium and good academics, we should be pretty attractive to potential candidates.

ItsyBitsySpider
December 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
We also have some decent talent returning, including most of our WR corps: Grayson, Boston, Gray, plus on defense McBride, Rogers, Parker. The key will be the offensive line.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM

No. We are toast. xbawlingx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What can you SoCon guys share about Kevin Higgins at The Citadel? It sounds like he will be one of the top contenders for our job.

Are they at a pretty big disadvantage in the SoCon with recruiting, given their Military status?

What does his offense look like (schematically)?

ngineer
December 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Higgins would be a tremendous asset at UR. He's used to dealing with programs dealing with high academic standards. Plus, he's familiar with the CAA from his years at Lehigh. Those of us on Old South Mountain still yearn for the 'Higgins Days'.... Would also be interesting if Cecchini would leave with him as the OC. Many see him as Lehigh's next HC if Coen doesn't turn it around next year.

Eight Legger
December 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
The best part about hiring Higgins would be that we'd get to hear a lot of glowing comments from Cit Dog, who no doubt would have nothing but....eh, who am I kidding.

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Huesman says not interested in Richmond job
UTC's football coach wants to stay at his alma mater instead of going back to the Spiders.

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football coach Russ Huesman said Monday that he isn't interested in replacing his former boss, Mike London, at the University of Richmond.

"I'm staying at Chattanooga," Huesman said. "I'm not going anywhere."

As soon as word got out that London was leaving Richmond to become the head coach at Virginia, Huesman was mentioned as a possible candidate to replace him. Huesman spent five seasons as Richmond's defensive coordinator, including one season under London during the Spiders' run to the 2008 FCS national championship.

UTC athletic director Rick Hart said he hasn't been contacted by anyone at Richmond wishing to speak with Huesman about the job. When asked if he'd been contacted about the job, either directly or through a third party, Huesman said he wouldn't go into detail about any conversations he'd had.

Instead, he reiterated that "I'm going to be at Chattanooga for a long time."

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/08/huesman-says-not-interested-in-richmond-job/?sportscollege

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM
What can you SoCon guys share about Kevin Higgins at The Citadel? It sounds like he will be one of the top contenders for our job.

Are they at a pretty big disadvantage in the SoCon with recruiting, given their Military status?

What does his offense look like (schematically)?

It supposedly a spread option, when I saw it down at Charleston when they played GSU last year I thought it was a West coast/Southern Cal style offense

Higgins is a good recruiter from what I can tell

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2009, 06:12 AM
We won the title the year after Clawson left. I don't think that this will hurt them THAT much. London was a great coach and a very well liked coach by the players, but just like he replaced Clawson, someone will replace him. We've got an established program now, a new on-campus stadium and good academics, we should be pretty attractive to potential candidates.

I'm not doubting whether or not they can bounce back or not, but losing that much will throw a blow for a few years

ur2k
December 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
It will be interesting to see how they do next year. They're going to have a new coach, new stadium, and losing 15 or 16 starting seniors.

Next year was going to be a reloading year, with or without London. We lose our 4 year starter at QB although the guy replacing him has a laser arm (Laub). We also lose a lot of our starters - most importantly most of our O-line.

We do return a some of our big names - McBride, Weldon, Shoop, Sullivan (LBs), Martin Parker (DT), Grayson, Gray, Boston (WRs), Justin Rogers, Tre Graham (CBs),

Plus we finally get to see Mike London's recruits on the field xlolx

And we finally get our new stadium.