PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Change At St. Francis

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM
Eight years, 68 losses. Loretto may the toughest place to recruit in I-AA.

http://www.francis.edu/SportsFootballfullstory.aspx?id=37598

CSN-info
December 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Already posted: http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66858

Bogus Megapardus
December 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Eight years, 68 losses. Loretto may the toughest place to recruit in I-AA.

http://www.francis.edu/SportsFootballfullstory.aspx?id=37598

But don't native bituminous fissures naturally extrude offensive linemen by the hogshead? Seriously - you think the PL has it rough, recruiting-wise . . . .

Franks Tanks
December 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
But don't native bituminous fissures naturally extrude offensive linemen by the hogshead? Seriously - you think the PL has it rough, recruiting-wise . . . .

There are a lot of very good D-II programs in the area. IUP, CAL, SHIP, Slippery Rock, and most western PA kids would prefer one of those schools over St. Francis. I also think they are skimping on Scholly's.

Libertine
December 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Is there any StFU (love that, by the way) message board?

Go...gate
December 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Not an easy job, but St. Francis is staying the course.

downbythebeach
December 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
There are a lot of very good D-II programs in the area. IUP, CAL, SHIP, Slippery Rock, and most western PA kids would prefer one of those schools over St. Francis. I also think they are skimping on Scholly's.

I wanted to mention that Ofphar, as far as I know, wasn't fired, and probably left for personal reasons. Just a couple years ago he had one of the best passing offenses in I-AA and created more excitment than has been around the team since.........forever

There are some alright D2 somewhat close to Saint Francis. IUP is only about a 40 minute drive (the other ones are about 1 1/2 hours) maybe, but they recruit a different type of player. Saint Francis is known for mostly medical/science majors (one of the first Physician Assistant programs in the country) and we dont have some of the majors that draw football players well.
Anyone that has ever been there knows that it is in the middle of absolutely no where. When you get off at the closest exit you have to drive down a windy road. Also it doesnt help that it is between Johnstown and Altoona: Johnstown is a ghost town and Altoona is kinda trashy, but ever those are a twenty minute drive from campus.
I'd say the biggest problem is getting people to watch the game. Its kinda hard get recruits to sign when you can't even get 1,000 people to come to some games, and why use more scholarships when it seems like so few people care.
Its rough

downbythebeach
December 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
by the way i wanted to mention that I know they had 20 schollys for this season

downbythebeach
December 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Is there any StFU (love that, by the way) message board?

lol
there was a NEC message board with individual pages, but it got spammed to often and people got sick of it.......i think ive seen 2 other SFU fans on the net (one more on here)
DetroitFlyer is a fan as well i believe

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
It's not like St. Francis wasn't competitive this year though. They lost a number of close games including one against UNH. St. Francis has a very difficult task of attracting players to their rural, and i mean rural, location. However, there's a ton of talented HS players in PA and Eastern OH. The Red Flashes obviously have some quality players. If they can get someone in there that can boost the interest a little more i believe they can win in the NEC. They competed well this year, they just didn't win the close ones.

DetroitFlyer
December 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but I wanted to get it out here as well....

I sure would like to see Chris become the permanent head coach. Long time NFL veteran, IUP grad, knows the area inside out, and one heck of a smart individual. Having an ex-NFL player as a head coach can really help with recruiting. Every kid, even if it is a very remote possibility, likes to think they could play in the NFL. Having a head coach with "connections" might help a bit. Especially a kid like Chris who came out of a Division II school and enjoyed a succesful NFL career. He has experience coming from a small, relatively unknown school, and making it to the NFL.... SFUP needs an extra spark to recruit in Western PA. EVERYBODY recruits there, the PFL, Ivy, NEC, FBS, lower divisions, etc. SFUP needs an edge and I think Chris could be that edge....

And yes, I am a fan of SFUP! My brother is a proud grad and I visited him there a number of times. I still plan to get there to see a game. I REALLY want to see Dayton and SFUP play again.

What do the "insiders" say about Chris becoming the permanent head coach?

It sure seems like half of the FCS division has had a coach quit or be fired.... I have to think that Valpo and SFUP are going to two of the tougher spots to fill....

aceinthehole
December 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Opar did a GREAT job despite the poor record. The recruiting improved and they were a "competative" team. He had a personal tragedy last year (his wife passed away) and likely left for his own reasons.

As a Penn St. guy, he was able to generate some interest and improve the program. But the limited schollys (around 20) and rural location, without a fan base, makes this a tough, tough job.

A bad SFPA team is bad for the NEC, so I'd like to see them improve, but I don't think a coach is the only answer. Its an institutional issue and I don't know what they can fix.