PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeforth Stadium's Falling Down...

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
To the tune of London Bridges...it works.

Here's the webcam.

http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/cmpa/bfwebcam/bfwebcam.jpg

Wrecking ball started falling yesterday.

Ud1Hens
December 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
I thought JMU usually waited until the 1st or 2nd Saturday of December to collapse. J/K xsmiley_wix

I kid, I kid...In all seriousness, that will be an awesome venue when completed. Here at UD we are still waited for 'updated' aka scaled back plan to be unveiled. Congrats to actually getting stuff done. I look forward to making the trip down when completed.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM
I thought JMU usually waited until the 1st or 2nd Saturday of December to collapse.

I kid, I kid...In all seriousness, that will be an awesome venue when completed. Here at UD we are still waited for 'updated' aka scaled back plan to be unveiled. Congrats to actually getting stuff done. I look forward to making the trip down when completed.

Har har har...we decided to do the collapsing early...first week in October. xbawlingx

I'm really looking forward to sitting in the new seats next year and then seeing the upper deck the year after. It was a bit sad to watch (via webcam) our normal season ticket seats get demolished (wish they would've let us keep the bleachers or something).

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Wow that was quick...do we know if the lower level will have more/less seats than this year's stands? I know overall will be 10K or so more but jw for tickets next year...

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Wow that was quick...do we know if the lower level will have more/less seats than this year's stands? I know overall will be 10K or so more but jw for tickets next year...

I heard that after the first year the capacity will be equal to what it has been and the addition of permanent end zone seating plus the upper deck will add the 10K.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I heard that after the first year the capacity will be equal to what it has been and the addition of permanent end zone seating plus the upper deck will add the 10K.

Stands will also be closer to the field. Should go right over the track correct? No walkway in the front? That was the best to stand in front. Easy to spot friends, see the game, etc.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Stands will also be closer to the field. Should go right over the track correct? No walkway in the front? That was the best to stand in front. Easy to spot friends, see the game, etc.

Yep. The walkway will definitely be missed by my family. We parked the strollers there. :D

They had the new wall line marked. It will be much closer to the field.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yep. The walkway will definitely be missed by my family. We parked the strollers there. :D

They had the new wall line marked. It will be much closer to the field.

Little young for the strollers myself but I did miss that one...

The stadium should look great in 2 years. I'm sure next year will be just as hard to get tickets. I sure hope they don't raise prices again. Family weekend and homecoming are getting steep!

Excited for the new stadium of course but hope it just keeps us as an FCS power and not FBS bottom feeder...

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Geez, miss the playoffs and you tear down your stadium? Hard core, man.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Little young for the strollers myself but I did miss that one...

The stadium should look great in 2 years. I'm sure next year will be just as hard to get tickets. I sure hope they don't raise prices again. Family weekend and homecoming are getting steep!

Excited for the new stadium of course but hope it just keeps us as an FCS power and not FBS bottom feeder...

YOU'RE hoping they don't raise tickets? Right now I get four season tickets, plus four concession vouchers for each game (good for a drink and a dog or a pretzel) and it costs me $200 total. They didn't offer new ones this year, only let you renew. I'm afraid that price is going to go up shortly even if you'v purchased the packets for a couple of years.

That's how we roll.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM

If we had knocked it down after Hofstra we might have sent a message and made the playoffs...xsmhx

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM
YOU'RE hoping they don't raise tickets? Right now I get four season tickets, plus four concession vouchers for each game (good for a drink and a dog or a pretzel) and it costs me $200 total. They didn't offer new ones this year, only let you renew. I'm afraid that price is going to go up shortly even if you'v purchased the packets for a couple of years.

Recent alums don't have the money:(

From my distance (5 1/2 hours) and job I can't make every game so season pass ($30-40 for all 4 right now in your case for example) which isn't horrible isn't feasible. A game or 2 every year $20-30 a ticket puts me at 1/2 your costs (me and 1 guest). I know they are going up but they better make sure the xazzx are in most/all those seats for games other than HC or FW before the $$$$ goes up.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Recent alums don't have the money:(

From my distance (5 1/2 hours) and job I can't make every game so season pass ($30-40 for all 4 right now in your case for example) which isn't horrible isn't feasible. A game or 2 every year $20-30 a ticket puts me at 1/2 your costs (me and 1 guest). I know they are going up but they better make sure the xazzx are in most/all those seats for games other than HC or FW before the $$$$ goes up.

That's the one thing that might save us. Depending on how demand goes, you might be able to get upper deck seats pretty cheap in a couple of years.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
That's the one thing that might save us. Depending on how demand goes, you might be able to get upper deck seats pretty cheap in a couple of years.

That's my goal. Get upper season tickets which will be cheaper and just as funxthumbsupx. Maybe an extra student section up top or just more in the endzone? No way can we only allow 5 or 6K in per game with 23,000 students. It doesn't work too well now with only 17/18,000

andy7171
December 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM

[xlolxxlolxxlolx

at least they covered up the ugly two tone brown and green field for these pictures. :D

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Here at UD we are still waited for 'updated' aka scaled back plan to be unveiled.

Hey, get in line...

http://www.georgetownvoice.com/2004/08/26/new-athletic-facility-plans-released/

th0m
December 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hey JMU fans have been waiting for this a long time as well!

smcwildcat
December 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM
thats kinda sad

andy7171
December 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
thats kinda sad

I agree.

It seems like just yesterday I was standing mid field staring at the JMU dance team on the sidelines. xlolx

89Hen
December 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
You will NOT miss the track or walkway. xrulesx :)

89Hen
December 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I agree.

It seems like just yesterday I was standing mid field staring at the JMU dance team on the sidelines. xlolx
If you were standing midfield, then you were looking at the top of their heads. That field had the steepest pitch I've ever seen on a football field. :p

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
You will NOT miss the track or walkway. xrulesx :)

You are right, so long as I have adequate stroller parking. :D

If you were standing midfield, then you were looking at the top of their heads. That field had the steepest pitch I've ever seen on a football field. :p

No joke. Somehow corners had great recovery speed when they were chasing an outside route...xlolx

Not to mention it was glorified concrete.

andy7171
December 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM

You ain't kidding. It was actually the first year of their new carpet(1991). You got sandy if you fell.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
You ain't kidding. It was actually the first year of their new carpet(1991). You got sandy if you fell.

Students used to be allowed on the field as well. I played pick up football my frosh year and now its all closed off cuz of the new turf....xsmhx

GannonFan
December 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM

I forgot about that - did they ever fix the pitch on the field, maybe when they changed the surface a few years back?

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
I forgot about that - did they ever fix the pitch on the field, maybe when they changed the surface a few years back?

Yes, I think they did that with the new surface.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Most updated pic, timeline, and new youtube video:
http://www.jmu.edu/bridgeforthstadium/?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=14400&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Still cam:
http://134.126.89.164/

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
Slide show so far:
http://members.cox.net/ecorf/Bridgeforth.html

89Hen
December 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
So if I'm reading this right, they are tearing down the visitor side and basically just replacing it this year. Then after 2010 season they build the endzone, upper deck and boxes in time for 2011?

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
So if I'm reading this right, they are tearing down the visitor side and basically just replacing it this year. Then after 2010 season they build the endzone, upper deck and boxes in time for 2011?

That's my understanding.

Dukie95
December 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM

More or less...the entire new lower section won't be complete, because they need to get construction equipment in to complete the upper sections after the 2010 season.

The first few rows of the new lower section will be temporary bleachers.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
More or less...the entire new lower section won't be complete, because they need to get construction equipment in to complete the upper sections after the 2010 season.

Which makes sense since the line they have drawn now says "Stadium Wall - 2011." That's confused me all year.

JmuSkinsfan
December 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
She's about to come all the way down. Weird to see.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
She's about to come all the way down. Weird to see.

Yep. Not much left of the ole girl.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
That's my understanding.

That's good news though. A plan that allows you to use most of the side for 2010 is a good one. Seems like when The Citadel tore down one side, they lost it entirely for a season (seemed like two).

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
That's good news though. A plan that allows you to use most of the side for 2010 is a good one. Seems like when The Citadel tore down one side, they lost it entirely for a season (seemed like two).

Very true. Losing half of the stands for a whole year would not be good, even if they put up some kind of temporary system.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Aaaaaand, scene.

WUTNDITWAA
December 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Aaaaaand, scene.

Halfway to looking like Northeastern. xsmiley_wix

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Where did my seats go?

I'll be up there next week for my son's graduation. I bet the stadium looks really weird. I'm excited about the expansion and where my new seats my be located.

Go Dukes!

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
wow

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Where did my seats go?

I'll be up there next week for my son's graduation. I bet the stadium looks really weird. I'm excited about the expansion and where my new seats my be located.

Go Dukes!

Mine better be on the lower level. That's all I'm asking.

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Aaaaaand, scene.

Take a good look at the parking deck. Last time you will see that too before the new stadium swallows it up.

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
I thought JMU usually waited until the 1st or 2nd Saturday of December to collapse. J/K xsmiley_wix

that's actually pretty clever, well played.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0w_v1gevOY&feature=player_embedded

Time Lapse of the first week. Beacause of the time of year and the sunset it's not the best quality, but it's all I got.

Dukie95
December 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0w_v1gevOY&feature=player_embedded

Time Lapse of the first week. Beacause of the time of year and the sunset it's not the best quality, but it's all I got.

Chomp, Chomp, Chomp!

GoneTribal
December 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM
time lapse was cool to see. thanks for sharing.

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Looks like construction maybe starting for Micropiling! A little ahead of schedule!

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Looks like construction maybe starting for Micropiling! A little ahead of schedule!

The schedule that was updated yesterday said it still wouldn't start until the 21st.

soccerguy315
December 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
for next year the plan is for you guys to be back to 15,000, and then at 25,000 (the upper deck?) for kickoff in 2011, yes?

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
for next year the plan is for you guys to be back to 15,000, and then at 25,000 (the upper deck?) for kickoff in 2011, yes?

Yep. The stadium will be back to its "regular" capacity for next year and then 25K after that.

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The schedule that was updated yesterday said it still wouldn't start until the 21st.

Yeah just looks like prep work but at least on schedule. Not something you can normally say with construction...

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah just looks like prep work but at least on schedule. Not something you can normally say with construction...

Yep. As far as I'm concerned, on schedule is early.

jmufan999
December 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM
am i the only one that WANTS upper deck tickets? because here's the thing.

i'm done, i repeat DONE... with sitting on the east side. DONE. the reason? i'm tired of the sun getting in my eyes. that may sound like a bad excuse, but until you've done it, you don't really know. the sun is DIRECTLY in your face for every day game. even when it's setting, the other side is "short" enough where you still have to deal with it for a long time. yes, i realize when the upper deck is built, the "sun will set quicker" (quickest way i could explain that). but i can't do another year of that. but i'd really love upper deck seats with the sun behind me...

JMUNJ08
December 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
That's my goal. Get upper season tickets which will be cheaper and just as funxthumbsupx. Maybe an extra student section up top or just more in the endzone? No way can we only allow 5 or 6K in per game with 23,000 students. It doesn't work too well now with only 17/18,000

am i the only one that WANTS upper deck tickets? because here's the thing.

i'm done, i repeat DONE... with sitting on the east side. DONE. the reason? i'm tired of the sun getting in my eyes. that may sound like a bad excuse, but until you've done it, you don't really know. the sun is DIRECTLY in your face for every day game. even when it's setting, the other side is "short" enough where you still have to deal with it for a long time. yes, i realize when the upper deck is built, the "sun will set quicker" (quickest way i could explain that). but i can't do another year of that. but i'd really love upper deck seats with the sun behind me...

I was thinking more on cost but yes I do. I cannot find the post by I had another JMU poster or 2 with me!

mcveyrl
December 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I just want my regular seats. Section 16, Row X. For one, I've made friends there and secondly the view will be better once they bend it.

Longhorn
December 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Just a minor correction....it's not the "visitor's side" that's been torn down, it's the home "M" side. The visitors and student sections (the original stands seating about 6k) will remain until some future date, when and if there is a need to duplicate the new home side and upper deck, as well as finish out enclosing the endzone creating a horseshoe shape.

WUTNDITWAA
December 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Just a minor correction....it's not the "visitor's side" that's been torn down, it's the home "M" side. The visitors and student sections (the original stands seating about 6k) will remain until some future date, when and if there is a need to duplicate the new home side and upper deck, as well as finish out enclosing the endzone creating a horseshoe shape.

So once the new side is finished, will they tear out that two-story singlewide they call a press box?

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
So once the new side is finished, will they tear out that two-story singlewide they call a press box?

Oh come on.... it's atleast a hybrid single-wide.

WUTNDITWAA
December 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Oh come on.... it's atleast a hybrid single-wide.

Maybe you could sell it to whomever took our 300 porta-potties.

JMUNJ08
December 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe you could sell it to whomever took our 300 porta-potties.

I was just "borrowing" them.xsmiley_wix

WUTNDITWAA
December 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I was just "borrowing" them.xsmiley_wix

Ha! You can have them. xsmiley_wix