PDA

View Full Version : App at Richmond Sellout?

nms1987
November 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
App seems to be only giving its tickets to students and Yosef Club members. This got me wondering if the Richmond game is likely to sell out.

An App playoff game selling out is not unusual but would the same be true of Richmond? Their place holds 22,000 (about the same as App, altho I'm not sure how standing room/lawn seats count) and Richmond has fewer students (and consequently fewer alumni) than a public school like App which usually leads to more seats being available. Obviously many Appfans will be traveling so that will help sell tix.

So, out of curiosity, what are the odds that the App at Richy playoff game will be sold out on Saturday?
Has Richmond sold out any other games?

HiHiYikas
November 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM
App seems to be only giving its tickets to students and Yosef Club members. This got me wondering if the Richmond game is likely to sell out.

An App playoff game selling out is not unusual but would the same be true of Richmond? Their place holds 22,000 (about the same as App, altho I'm not sure how standing room/lawn seats count) and Richmond has fewer students (and consequently fewer alumni) than a public school like App which usually leads to more seats being available. Obviously many Appfans will be traveling so that will help sell tix.

So, out of curiosity, what are the odds that the App at Richy playoff game will be sold out on Saturday?
Has Richmond sold out any other games?
Students and Yosef clubbers get first shot at tickets, but others can call ASU's ticket office to buy tickets beginning Tuesday, I believe.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I believe this will be close to a sellout. We have some older fans who aren't going to be wild about a night game, but most of us are pumped for it. We had a solid 12-13k of our own fans at both the Villanova and W&M games, and there are no competing games like UVA or Tech to keep casual fans away. I think we'll get some of those Saturday. If App brings 6k, I think the game sells out.

nms1987
Students and Yosef clubbers get first shot at tickets, but others can call ASU's ticket office to buy tickets beginning Tuesday, I believe.

Yeah, no. I know that. I'm a student so I'm covered. I was just curious if the house would be packed

yosef1969

Yep, Tuesday at noon the remaining tickets are going to be made available to anyone contacting the ASU ticket office.

back2back
November 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You can get seats at the UR site if you are concerned. My brother is in the Yosef Club, but couldn't get through to the ticket office in Boone. 5 minutes later we had 7 seats on the visitors side by calling UR. Go App State!

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I thought Richmond fans sucked...

CrackerRiley
November 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yep, Tuesday at noon the remaining tickets are going to be made available to anyone contacting the ASU ticket office.

How come I don't get to pick up my ticket that I ordered today until Wednesday?

Other Qs: What sections of the stadium is the App allotment in? Is it first come first serve for the seats that have been ordered already by students and yosefs on Wednesday? 5000 tickets, correct?

HiHiYikas
November 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
How come I don't get to pick up my ticket that I ordered today until Wednesday?

Other Qs: What sections of the stadium is the App allotment in? Is it first come first serve for the seats that have been ordered already by students and yosefs on Wednesday? 5000 tickets, correct?
Visitor's side, all sections between the 10's - that's be something like H- I- J - K - L.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I thought Richmond fans sucked...

We aren't great, but we're improving. Purple school to the west won't notice and will continue to discredit us. Thus is life.

19Duke97
November 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
We aren't great, but we're improving. Purple school to the west won't notice and will continue to discredit us. Thus is life.

You all earn some of it by going from a 22K stadium to 9K stadium. I have never seen City Stadium full - it would be impressive and fun to see it full. I always liked the stadium, needs a few upgrades, but not a bad place. The only thing I'll say is that the viewing angles on the visitors side are a bit rough.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
You all earn some of it by going from a 22K stadium to 9K stadium. I have never seen City Stadium full - it would be impressive and fun to see it full. I always liked the stadium, needs a few upgrades, but not a bad place. The only thing I'll say is that the viewing angles on the visitors side are a bit rough.

See?

The reason we are going to a 9k Stadium has alot to do with politics that have been discussed ad nauseum here in the past. I won't waste my time.

19Duke97
November 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
See?

The reason we are going to a 9k Stadium has alot to do with politics that have been discussed ad nauseum here in the past. I won't waste my time.

I live in Richmond and know and understand them, but to the average outsider, it sends the wrong message.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I live in Richmond and know and understand them, but to the average outsider, it sends the wrong message.

What do you propose? Drop thousands of fliers on every FCS town across the country?

SpidersSportsEditor
November 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I think we get within 1,000 seats of a sellout, I just can't even imagine some of the upper reaches being full. But, Richmond students will be out in force, especially because it is quiet hours on campus, so the only way they can party is to go off campus to the game. Expect more students than ever (even more than Nova, which was a record) for this game.

I hope the locals turn out and luckily I think enough people know the App St name because of Michigan and because we've played them 3 years in a row, that people will want to come. And I imagine the Apps will bring more fans than W&M did if AGS at all accurately reflects their dedication.xthumbsupx

19Duke97
November 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
What do you propose? Drop thousands of fliers on every FCS town across the country?

There is nothing you can do, the die have been cast But it will stink whenever JMU, W&M, ODU (soon), and any other decent drawing team comes to Richmond. It amazes me how small this city thinks, but that in no way is limited to U of R. Before you go all postal on me, just want to state I went to HS here, and taken grad school classes at UR. The situation is just a cr@ppy - especially as you are peaking in popularity.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
There is nothing you can do, the die have been cast But it will stink whenever JMU, W&M, ODU (soon), and any other decent drawing team comes to Richmond. It amazes me how small this city thinks, but that in no way is limited to U of R. Before you go all postal on me, just want to state I went to HS here, and taken grad school classes at UR. The situation is just a cr@ppy - especially as you are peaking in popularity.

It is what it is, my friend. Maybe we'll get an addition later ... xpeacex

tandemlax
November 30th, 2009, 09:27 PM
For those App St. fans looking to sit on the visitors side: the higher up you can get seats, the better. The first row is almost at field level and you can't see over the players standing on the sideline. If you can stay between the 20's, there is no seat on the visitors side that is too high up or too far away from the field.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I got tickets on the home side because the visitor side is ridiculously far from the field.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/3993413.jpeg

I think there will be sizable pockets of App fans on the home side.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I got tickets on the home side because the visitor side is ridiculously far from the field.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/3993413.jpeg

I think there will be sizable pockets of App fans on the home side.

You are aware that picture was taken from the pressbox that is well behind the seats, right?

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
You are aware that picture was taken from the pressbox that is well behind the seats, right?

Yes... and, are you aware how far it is from the visitor stands to the field? That's what I was wanting to show in that picture.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM

You are aware that I was showing how far it is from the visitor stands to the field, right? Doesn't really matter if it was taken in the pressbox or not... look at that huge gap... visitor sides seats are crap.

Every single one of those seats sucks. Only place I'd want to sit on the visitor side would be where it wraps around the endzone.

That's why I got home side seats. :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:46 PM
You are aware that I was showing how far it is from the visitor stands to the field, right? Doesn't really matter if it was taken in the pressbox or not... look at that huge gap... visitor sides seats are crap.

Every single one of those seats sucks. Only place I'd want to sit on the visitor side would be where it wraps around the endzone.

I have sat in the visitor seats for our Spring Game and several regular season games. They really aren't that bad.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
November 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM

This just made me laugh , haha.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have sat in the visitor seats for our Spring Game and several regular season games. They really aren't that bad.

I feel my voice will be better served where I can be heard. Though, perhaps I could bring a PA system like your cheerleader dude.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I feel my voice will be better served where I can be heard. Though, perhaps I could bring a PA system like your cheerleader dude.

You can't bring them to NCAA games. xnonox

tandemlax
November 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I sat on the 15 and didn't feel that the seats were bad at all as long as you're above the 10th row or so up. I guess I'm just used to having a 15-20 yd separation from the sideline at Zable.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM
This just made me laugh , haha.

Because you know its true, right?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Coulson, don't you usually get to sit in the Press Box. Why is this even a consideration of yours?

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Seriously?! The NCAA won't let me cart in giant speakers and place them around the stadium for me to yell into!?? NO WAY!!! xeekx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Seriously?! The NCAA won't let me cart in giant speakers and place them around the stadium for me to yell into!?? NO WAY!!! xeekx

Nope, you won't even be able to tap your pencil real hard in the press box in between paragraphs of your article on why Montana will rattle Ward and defeat the Spiders on the 11th. No artificial noisemakers, sir!

AppMan
November 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think we get within 1,000 seats of a sellout, I just can't even imagine some of the upper reaches being full. But, Richmond students will be out in force,xthumbsupx

All 2700 of them?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
All 2700 of them?

Whoa, did this just break into a 'our school is bigger than your school'-type deal? xlolx

seattlespider
November 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
All 2700 of them?

For Nova/WM, I believe we had around 1500-1700 students.

seattlespider
Whoa, did this just break into a 'our school is bigger than your school'-type deal? xlolx

I know. What does he want us to do?

AppMan

Never want to hear people complain about the field at KBS being far from the stands.

AppMan
November 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Nahhhh, that whole "students out in force" stuff just struck me as kind of funny. What you guys lack in students, you make up for in dollars! $40 K a year! Man that is steep!

SpiderSafety75
November 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
There is no way there will be 'sizable pockets of ASU fans' on the home side, unless they are inside the 10 yard line on the tent side. They will be welcome, though - more or less. :)

UR's new stadium is perfect for us. You don't build a stadium based on what you draw here and there...you do it based on your AVERAGE draw. Just ask the folks up here at College Park if overbuilding on expectation is a good idea. If UR was ever to move to campus (which I'm glad they did), 10,000 was as big as they could get, thanks to parking and access issues. Frankly, the school doesn't care whether or not massive groups of visiting fans can get into UR games; that sort of revenue they can do without. The new stadium will help recruiting and home field advantage, and give the student body AND alums a great new venue. It really doesn't matter what sort of 'message' it sends to anyone else.

The new place moved me to buy season tickets for the first time ever this year (for most of my career I worked weekends) and join the Spider Club for the first time in a dozen or so years. That's what it's all about.

Don't worry about those stands, ASU fans. This is a small stadium, you can see perfectly well from the visitors' side. I agree that higher is better.

Get here very early, eat in nearby Carytown, enjoy the shops, etc, and we'll see you at the game. Should be a good one.

Henny
November 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Dont forget to bring a cut up cardboard box to keep the kids occupied by sliding down the hill by the scoreboard!

th0m
December 1st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Nope, you won't even be able to tap your pencil real hard in the press box in between paragraphs of your article on why Montana will rattle Ward and defeat the Spiders on the 11th. No artificial noisemakers, sir!

xoutofrepx

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 03:35 AM

An App State fan complaining about the distance from the stands to the field at someone else's place is the apex of hypocritical.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/1956238153_422c41e8df.jpg

appmaj
December 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Any update on ticket sales?

JMU Newbill
December 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
One word of advice to any visiting App State fans that hasn't been mentioned yet, City Stadium sits right outside of downtown Richmond, and is most easily accessible through toll roads. I'm sure you have all already noticed this in your google/mapquest directions, but just thought I would remind you to bring some change (or your EZPass) so you don't become that guy stuck at the toll booth.

Even if you go a route that avoids the tolls, when everyone gets ready to leave the stadium, the back way out to 195 from the commuter lot is the safest bet, but you need to pay a toll to get on it. It's also an unmanned toll booth (the one I use, at least).

Just trying to help my favorite fan base in the world in their travels!

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
One word of advice to any visiting App State fans that hasn't been mentioned yet, City Stadium sits right outside of downtown Richmond, and is most easily accessible through toll roads. I'm sure you have all already noticed this in your google/mapquest directions, but just thought I would remind you to bring some change (or your EZPass) so you don't become that guy stuck at the toll booth.

Even if you go a route that avoids the tolls, when everyone gets ready to leave the stadium, the back way out to 195 from the commuter lot is the safest bet, but you need to pay a toll to get on it. It's also an unmanned toll booth (the one I use, at least).

Also with large crowds it can be tough to park close to the stadium within an hour of game time. I missed the JMU/UR kickoff last year looking for a spot on the street. Ended up parking in some guys field for $3 down past the main tailgate area. Get there early to avoid traffic and parking problems!xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM

Why when I attended the last 2 JMU games @ UR was crowd noise pumped in? Isn't that artificial and kind of sad????? Please explain...xwhistlex

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM
Why when I attended the last 2 JMU games @ UR was crowd noise pumped in? Isn't that artificial and kind of sad????? Please explain...xwhistlex

Neither of them were a playoff game.

ur2k
December 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
And I've been to pretty many many UR games over the last 13 years and haven't heard pumped in crowd noise. What are you talking about?

We've had a 'cheerleader' - aka a student with a mic leading cheers over a stand alone PA but not fake crowd noise.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Because you know its true, right?

Yea its true. I didn't mean it made me laugh in a derogatory way, just a "touche" way.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
And I've been to pretty many many UR games over the last 13 years and haven't heard pumped in crowd noise. What are you talking about?

We've had a 'cheerleader' - aka a student with a mic leading cheers over a stand alone PA but not fake crowd noise.
I'm fairly certain it was confirmed yall played an audio file of crowd noise over the speakers. However, this isn't that uncommon so I wouldn't worry about it. You have only a few thousand students, most all of which come from out of state. I wouldn't expect a crowd of more than a couple thousand. That said, crowd noise is frequently used in stadiums from what I hear.

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm fairly certain it was confirmed yall played an audio file of crowd noise over the speakers. However, this isn't that uncommon so I wouldn't worry about it. You have only a few thousand students, most all of which come from out of state. I wouldn't expect a crowd of more than a couple thousand. That said, crowd noise is frequently used in stadiums from what I hear.

I believe you have us confused with the Indianapolis Colts. Why would we pump in crowd noise at the most well-attended game we had last season? Because the 16k who were there weren't making enough noise on their own?

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM

Pumping in crowd noise = bush league.

No excuses... if your fans can't be loud enough, too bad. We only had 12,000 at the last ASU game, but we sounded like 20k.

andy7171
December 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hold up....SKjelly is Mr. C!?!?

ur2k
December 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I feel like this crowd noise thing is something that one person said and everyone else assumes as true when its not. I remember it coming up a while back and thinking, wtf?

Our sound system is so horrible at UR stadium, that fake crowd noise would sound like a recording of static and feedback being pumped in.

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
We only had 12,000 at the last ASU game, but we sounded like 20k.

Explain how this works.

appmaj
December 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Explain how this works.

Ventriloquism

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Explain how this works.

Well... I've been at plenty of games where we had 20k. This game we had 12k.... the 12k sounded just as loud as the 20k. Coach Pough even credited the crowd noise with disrupting the play on the botched snap/GW touchdown.

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Say it ain't so! :(

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Ventriloquism

My sentiments exactly. Good one.

HiHiYikas
December 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Our sound system is so horrible at UR stadium, that fake crowd noise would sound like a recording of static and feedback being pumped in.
That's just what it sounded like, which made me wonder why they would even try it.

That's what I heard at last year's JMU-UR game. I remember looking over at the folks with me and saying "is that crowd noise coming through the speakers?"

Maybe it was an accident. Is it possible someone had a mic someplace that wasn't supposed to be on the PA system?

ur2k
December 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
That's just what it sounded like, which made me wonder why they would even try it.

That's what I heard at last year's JMU-UR game. I remember looking over at the folks with me and saying "is that crowd noise coming through the speakers?"

Maybe it was an accident. Is it possible someone had a mic someplace that wasn't supposed to be on the PA system?

It was probably the comcast guy from the Villanova game xlolx

Bettina90
December 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM

I remember the good ol' days of blowing through those things (there are no gates and they didn't have cameras in the late 80's) at high speed on the way back from Shockoe Slip. BAC undisclosed.

wr70beh
December 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Also with large crowds it can be tough to park close to the stadium within an hour of game time. I missed the JMU/UR kickoff last year looking for a spot on the street. Ended up parking in some guys field for $3 down past the main tailgate area. Get there early to avoid traffic and parking problems!xthumbsupx

I would even recommend parking in Carytown at one of the grocery store parking lots and walk 5 blocks. The late start means that visibility will be poor, especially for Boone fans who aren't familiar with the area.

Also, be careful of signs that say "No Parking During Stadium Events".

AppStsGr8
December 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Richmond fans, I've got 4 tickets in Section D, Row D, Even on the home side for the game and 4 more somewhere in App's allotment on the visitor's side - hopefully nearer midfield. Are the visitor seats as far away as the pictures make the stands appear? Is Row D high enough up to see over players on the home side? Which would you consider, honestly, to be the better seats.

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
I feel like this crowd noise thing is something that one person said and everyone else assumes as true when its not. I remember it coming up a while back and thinking, wtf?

I'm not alone! Yeah it may be a mic or something over there but it sounds like a recording. It was loud last year but ask any JMU fan there and it sounded like some extra sound was pumped in on 3rd down for our O. Its not horrible from what I think but if you aren't loud enough, thats your fault. No knock on UR, I liked our last 2 games there, just wanted to mention...

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Richmond fans, I've got 4 tickets in Section D, Row D, Even on the home side for the game and 4 more somewhere in App's allotment on the visitor's side - hopefully nearer midfield. Are the visitor seats as far away as the pictures make the stands appear? Is Row D high enough up to see over players on the home side? Which would you consider, honestly, to be the better seats.

I really think you will find the seats fine in either place.

AppStsGr8
December 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
I really think you will find the seats fine in either place.

Thanks. I can't wait for this game!

JMUNJ08
December 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM

The only issue with the away side is that they are field level. The higher the better. I sat 4th row last year away and it was definitely fine though to see Scotty's Punt Return TD with 1 second left...xthumbsupx I also just find it more fun sitting with your own die hard fans JMO

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
I also just find it more fun sitting with your own die hard fans JMO

I concur. I typically sit in the front too. I was planning to throw a soda on any ASU fans I see down there! xlolxxlolx

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Are the visitor seats as far away as the pictures make the stands appear? Is Row D high enough up to see over players on the home side? Which would you consider, honestly, to be the better seats.

The picture posted by Coulson was a camera on the opposite end of a telescope. The seats aren't as bad as that doctored picture makes them look.

soccerguy315
December 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Well... I've been at plenty of games where we had 20k. This game we had 12k.... the 12k sounded just as loud as the 20k. Coach Pough even credited the crowd noise with disrupting the play on the botched snap/GW touchdown.

so to put it another way... your 20k sounds like 12k?

CrackerRiley
December 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
But do all Richmond fans agree it's better to get seats a few rows up? How much higher than the first row?

CrackerRiley
December 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

I think what he is trying to say is 20k sounds like 20k while 12k sounded like the 20k xnodx

I don't know the exact number our stadium sounding like Saturday, but I will say it was pretty damn loud considering the number we had. Especially after that errant snap. xsmiley_wix

soccerguy315
December 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think what he is trying to say is 20k sounds like 20k while 12k sounded like the 20k xnodx

I don't know the exact number our stadium sounding like Saturday, but I will say it was pretty damn loud considering the number we had. Especially after that errant snap. xsmiley_wix

haha I know what he is trying to say, but don't you think that if you had 20k, they would be louder than 12k? And if 20k is louder than 12k, then 12k really doesn't sound like 20k? xeyebrowx

I have no doubt the ASU fans will be making plenty of noise. Was a great atmosphere for UR/W&M at the end of the season. UR/ASU should be just as good (and possibly better) this weekend. xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM

xnodx

Playoffs bring out the best in fans - I know I just got my voice back from Saturday.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
But do all Richmond fans agree it's better to get seats a few rows up? How much higher than the first row?

On the visitor's side, the higher the better.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/virginia/richmond_university1.jpg

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM

I don't want to get into the physics of this, but I think soccerguy is right. Otherwise, assuming the same 12K showed up when 20K were there, the 8K difference would have to be mute.

Or, the 12K have been slacking for the past year and decided to pick it up for SC State. But that shouldn't be the case, because you would think that the 12K that were there, on Thanksgiving weekend, would be some of the more dedicated, vocal fans. xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

Saint3333
December 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM
There were more than 12K in KBS, just don't tell the NCAA...

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM
I don't want to get into the physics of this, but I think soccerguy is right. Otherwise, assuming the same 12K showed up when 20K were there, the 8K difference would have to be mute.

Or, the 12K have been slacking for the past year and decided to pick it up for SC State. But that shouldn't be the case, because you would think that the 12K that were there, on Thanksgiving weekend, would be some of the more dedicated, vocal fans. xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

I'd argue that in most of the home games at Kidd Brewer this season, ASU went up pretty big early and took the crowd out of the game. This was a great, down-to-the-wire game and the "12th man" made a big difference.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
There were more than 12K in KBS, just don't tell the NCAA...

xeekx

Nuh-uh....:D

I'd argue that in most of the home games at Kidd Brewer this season, ASU went up pretty big early and took the crowd out of the game. This was a great, down-to-the-wire game and the "12th man" made a big difference.

At my house (we were fairly indifferent but I always pull for the underdog in the first round) three guys sounded like 5 when the snap went whizzing by the holder's head.

ViennaSpider
December 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
They're calling for a low of 25 degrees in Richmond, Saturday night. Bring your long johns.

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
xeekx

Nuh-uh....:D

At my house (we were fairly indifferent but I always pull for the underdog in the first round) three guys sounded like 5 when the snap went whizzing by the holder's head.

Yeah right... you had at least 8 people in front of that TV! You're just trying to keep the NCAA from finding out so you can keep the extra chili-cheese dip!

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 1st, 2009, 12:15 PM
I cannot commit to the UR-ASU game right now but I hope I would be able to get a ticket at the gate on Saturday. I'm not so sure that will be a good idea to wait with ASU coming to town but I guess I will have to take my chances.

This should be a great game.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM

I don't think Richmond pumps in crowd noise... they just have a male cheerleader with a microphone going into speakers placed around the Richmond side that he does cheers into and tries to encourage Richmond fans to stand up and cheer.

Haha. I'm not Coulson. One of the Richmond posters likes calling me that because I'm a proud App homer. :D

I cannot commit to the UR-ASU game right now but I hope I would be able to get a ticket at the gate on Saturday. I'm not so sure that will be a good idea to wait with ASU coming to town but I guess I will have to take my chances.

It might sell out... but, at the Richmond - W&M game there were a bunch of scalpers as you got off the toll road going to the stadium. I bet you could find a ticket for face without much of a problem.

grayghost06
December 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM
I think a sellout would be a great way to send off the old Stadium. For FCS level, its really not that bad. It's big and looks impressive when close to full. Not many on the FCS level have a grandstand that large ( Home side). It's very unique looking.

The Stadium has hosted numerous Tech- UVA battles and several VMI-VT matchups when that was THE GAME in Virginia. Richmond has squared off in City Stadium against Wake, NC State, Va Tech, Maryland, UNC, UVA, Duke, ECU, WVU, So. Miss, BC, Cinncinnati, Rutgers, U Penn and just about every relevant university & college in Virginia. Every SOCON and CAA team has played there over the years. It's got a lot of history.

My hope was that Richmond would continue to play a home game there every year..ie: JMU or W&M, with the rest of the games being on campus. Have there been any thoughts to such an idea? When you could get an additional 8-10 thousand fans in for a game, I'd think it would be worth it.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think the problem with that grayghost is that UR will no longer be paying for the upkeep of the stadium / field, so I worry what kind of shape the city will allow it to fall into. Also we are spending 25M to bring the team home, so I am guessing that the school would like to get everyone on campus for a bit of a return on their investment. I think it is more likely that a few thousand extra bleachers will likely be erected on campus for bigger games.

grayghost06
December 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think the problem with that grayghost is that UR will no longer be paying for the upkeep of the stadium / field, so I worry what kind of shape the city will allow it to fall into. Also we are spending 25M to bring the team home, so I am guessing that the school would like to get everyone on campus for a bit of a return on their investment. I think it is more likely that a few thousand extra bleachers will likely be erected on campus for bigger games.

Well I hope you are correct that extra bleachers or a hillside/grass area would be available for some big games on campus. It would be a shame to bid farewell to the type of atmosphere JMU had there last year and W&M experienced this year. Both had a big time feel to them!

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM

I agree about City Stadium all around. UR is spending too much on a much nicer facility to hold 1/5 or 1/6 of its home games back at City Stadium -- especially given that you KNOW the city will not invest much in the stadium when you're gone.

But I don't think the solution is to add a few thousand bleachers. If you look at the latest drawings there's nowhere to put them. I say just sell the thing out, and let the scalpers take care of the rest! :D

AppStsGr8
December 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
On the visitor's side, the higher the better.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/virginia/richmond_university1.jpg

Thanks! That's a much better picture for gaining perspective of various seating.

19Duke97
December 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM

I think the lease on the place was $1/year - no kidding. Now there are all the police, power and other expenses, but if UR wanted to host a game there, money would not be the problem. xthumbsupx

19Duke97
December 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
I agree about City Stadium all around. UR is spending too much on a much nicer facility to hold 1/5 or 1/6 of its home games back at City Stadium -- especially given that you KNOW the city will not invest much in the stadium when you're gone.

But I don't think the solution is to add a few thousand bleachers. If you look at the latest drawings there's nowhere to put them. I say just sell the thing out, and let the scalpers take care of the rest! :D

The stadium hosts all the major HS football championships. Who knows, maybe VCU will come calling with Dr Trani gone. It's closer to their "sprawling" campus than UR.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
You are right it was $1.00 a year, PLUS all the upkeep. So now that UR will not be keeping the stadium up, paying the groundskeepers, and what not, how well would you think the City of Richmond will do?? Looking at this image, there is still room between the Stadium and Millheiser / Robins Center for more stands.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
The stadium hosts all the major HS football championships. Who knows, maybe VCU will come calling with Dr Trani gone. It's closer to their "sprawling" campus than UR.

What championships? The state championships are in Blacksburg, Charlottesville and Salem? I thought all the playoff games were at the schools. Is there a city championship that plays there?

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
You are right it was $1.00 a year, PLUS all the upkeep. So now that UR will not be keeping the stadium up, paying the groundskeepers, and what not, how well would you think the City of Richmond will do?? Looking at this image, there is still room between the Stadium and Millheiser / Robins Center for more stands.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

I still say they don't bother with extra seats. They'll be a pain to bring in and I don't think they'll be worth it.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Here is a link to the latest imagest images of construction. It is coming along and they have added a "halftime" locker room building just to the north of the larger "home" stands. It is looking nice in brick with all the collegiate gothic touches that UR's campus is known for.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=58952

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
What championships? The state championships are in Blacksburg, Charlottesville and Salem? I thought all the playoff games were at the schools. Is there a city championship that plays there?

It hasn't hosted any state title games in probably 6-8 years. Last 90s/early 2000s it hosted a bunch of them. They used to rotate between UR Stadium, the Norfolk State field and I think Liberty's stadium back then.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM
It hasn't hosted any state title games in probably 6-8 years. Last 90s/early 2000s it hosted a bunch of them. They used to rotate between UR Stadium, the Norfolk State field and I think Liberty's stadium back then.

That's what I thought, but didn't know if I was missing something.

19Duke97
December 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Wow I'm out of touch lol sorry thought they still had it there...

MacThor
December 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM

You're fairly certainly wrong.

The Moody1
December 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM

Gotta love that track around the field. :D

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
Now that I look at the picture, isn't the endzone seating temporary? You could just make that bigger (to where it covers the track) and that would add a lot of seats. Does that mess up the track or is that feasible?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Now that I look at the picture, isn't the endzone seating temporary? You could just make that bigger (to where it covers the track) and that would add a lot of seats. Does that mess up the track or is that feasible?

Yes to the temporary End Zone seats. Don't know about the track part.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yes to the temporary End Zone seats. Don't know about the track part.

I know ours cover what was the track, but don't know what effect that has on the track.

MacThor
December 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
For huge games, they should just do SRO on the roof of the Robins Center. :)

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
There is no way there will be 'sizable pockets of ASU fans' on the home side, unless they are inside the 10 yard line on the tent side. They will be welcome, though - more or less. :)

UR's new stadium is perfect for us. You don't build a stadium based on what you draw here and there...you do it based on your AVERAGE draw. Just ask the folks up here at College Park if overbuilding on expectation is a good idea. If UR was ever to move to campus (which I'm glad they did), 10,000 was as big as they could get, thanks to parking and access issues. Frankly, the school doesn't care whether or not massive groups of visiting fans can get into UR games; that sort of revenue they can do without. The new stadium will help recruiting and home field advantage, and give the student body AND alums a great new venue. It really doesn't matter what sort of 'message' it sends to anyone else.

The new place moved me to buy season tickets for the first time ever this year (for most of my career I worked weekends) and join the Spider Club for the first time in a dozen or so years. That's what it's all about.

Don't worry about those stands, ASU fans. This is a small stadium, you can see perfectly well from the visitors' side. I agree that higher is better.

Get here very early, eat in nearby Carytown, enjoy the shops, etc, and we'll see you at the game. Should be a good one.

Not the route JMU is taking. Assuming a good to great year, still won't sell out 25k except for:
-1st game in the new stadium
-homecoming
-parents' weekend
-a big name opponent that brought 4-5k fans (only one close enough that would fit that description would be ASU, and JMU won't be playing them in the regular season for at least the next 3-4 years).

And even the above might not sell out. But unless a bad year will have more than current capacity of 15.5k for every home game, and probably avg 18-20k

So no, ideally you DON't build a stadium just to fit your "average". You build it big enough for your biggest games. xnodx

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I think we still have to worry about the special use permit we got from the City which at the moment does not allow for gatherings of more than 9,000 people at the site. It was a long and very arduous process just to get that. I would guess for at least the first year, there will be no requests for exceptions to the limits. After a year or two have gone by, I would imagine they will take a look at what might be needed.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Not the route JMU is taking. Assuming a good to great year, still won't sell out 25k except for:
-homecoming
-parents' weekend
-a big name opponent that brought 4-5k fans (only one close enough that would fit that description would be ASU, and JMU won't be playing them in the regular season for at least the next 3-4 years).

And even the above might not sell out. But unless a bad year will have more than current capacity of 15.5k for every home game.

So no, ideally you DON't build a stadium just to fit your "average". You build it big enough for your biggest games. xnodx

I've thought about this a lot. I think that in the new stadium we will usually sell out the first home game, homecoming and parents weekend, which leaves two or three other games to worry about. Depending on the season we're having, I will be happy if we average in the 17-19K range.

jcmanson
December 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
-homecoming
-parents' weekend

And even the above might not sell out. But unless a bad year will have more than current capacity of 15.5k for every home game.

LU will bring 4-5K fans

Top Dawg
December 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM

I think that ODU will fit that description, at least for every other year. Didn't they bring several thousand to VMI this year?

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
The bottom line is that we wanted a stadium on campus more than we wanted a large stadium. Because of the limited space on our campus, we couldn't have both. If we wanted a big stadium, we would have bought the UR Stadium site, knocked the existing stadium down and built something better there.

We could afford to build a 100,000-seat stadium with individual seat cupholders plated in 24-carat gold if we wanted to, but it wouldn't be on campus.

If we sell out every game for a couple years, it may be easier to go to the city and ask for permission to add a few thousand seats. But we wouldn't have gotten approval had we asked for 15,000 seats up front.

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM

We could afford to build a 100,000-seat stadium with individual seat cupholders plated in 24-carat gold if we wanted to...

Good one.

Is the Richmond endowment in money market funds for the sole usage of the athletics department? Don't we all wish university endowments weren't tied up in incredibly illiquid scholarships and grants. xlolx

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Shockingly something like only 25% of UR's endowment is restricted. The rest is open for the University to use as it sees fit. Also the athletic department has their own endowment, though this is only in the $100M range I think.

Dukie95
December 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
That image is a little deceiving. It appears to have been taken with a fish eye lens which is distoring it a bit. It's really not that far.

The visitors side isn't tall, but it's wide. Good visiting groups can have loud fans present up and down the entire length of the field, which makes it possible to draw some false starts from the home team.

And yeah, unfortunately, the size is correct. Over the past couple of years, they get anywhere from 6-8k, they've really only broken that against JMU, W&M and Nova. Those games are going to be hot tickets.

Not sure how they drew 11k for the Nova game. Seems the JMU and UD fans need to discuss that one at greater length. ;)

State Line Liquors
December 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Shockingly something like only 25% of UR's endowment is restricted. The rest is open for the University to use as it sees fit. Also the athletic department has their own endowment, though this is only in the $100M range I think.

That is shocking. These articles definitely give a different impression.

Old article about UR endowment (http://magazine.richmond.edu/spring2002/features/fr_f2.html)

Richmond's endowment page (http://giving.richmond.edu/yourgift/endowment/faq.html)

In any case, it's a nice funding base. $100 Mill doesn't go quite as far as it used to building stadiums. I think the new Giants stadium seats like 85k and is costing $1.4B. I'm sure they're piping in some obscene amenities there though. Not to mention all those hardworking NJ union construction guys :D

pbr1893
December 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
LU will bring 4-5K fans
you might need eleven of them to dress out...

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM

W&M does it for their big games, the bleachers sit right on the track.

Furthermore, UR set the seats at the 8700-10K mark to make the neighbors in thier big fancy mansions feel better about all of the traffic. From what I can tell based on the foundations etc from an engineering standpoint the stadium could always be expanded to 12, 13, 15K with a second tier of stands or extending the grandstands on the away side up further. THe 8700-10k mark was just for the university to the dang structure built and I bet over time they WILL expand the stadium as there will not be a whole lot the neighbors can do then

MacThor
December 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
The big fancy mansions are closer to UR stadium than they are to campus.

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
The big fancy mansions are closer to UR stadium than they are to campus.

I don't know where you have been hangin out but those 1300 sq ft brick cape cods and saltboxes that encircle the stadium don't look like mansions to me. However if you meander through Westhampton and UR Drive off of Three Chopt Road as well as all of that neighborhood that extends to River Road you will see a 5000 sq foot house or 600. And no I am not counting the Fraternity houses (both real and demolished)xbeerchugx

MacThor
December 1st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Windsor Farms -- you know, where most of those people whose names are on the pretty campus buildings live.

But yeah, the neighborhoods around campus are nice.

URMite
December 2nd, 2009, 01:20 AM

If you look up behind you, you might see me across the aisle at Sec D Row H Odd - with the Grayson Family...

But then again I was suppose to be at the Playboy Mansion Friday & Saturday...I do have my ticket for the game...I just have some doubts about tearing myself away to get there. xconfusedxxconfusedxxbawlingx

JMUNJ08
December 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
If you look up behind you, you might see me across the aisle at Sec D Row H Odd - with the Grayson Family...

But then again I was suppose to be at the Playboy Mansion Friday & Saturday...I do have my ticket for the game...I just have some doubts about tearing myself away to get there. xconfusedxxconfusedxxbawlingx

So sorry to hear about your dilema. I don't think that is one that can be solved alonexsmhx

jcmanson
December 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
you might need eleven of them to dress out...

I'm sorry? Is this supposed to be some shot at our team?

Dukie95
December 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

Life's too short man...the playoffs will come again. That sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

AppyinVA
December 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
This game will only be a sellout if App State brings enough fans for this to be a home game.

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
This game will only be a sellout if App State brings enough fans for this to be a home game.

Quit being ignorant. We've had more than 13k of our own fans at several games this year. If you bring 6k, it will be damn close to a sellout. But according to your paper, you've only sold 1500 of the 3000 tickets we sent you.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Quit being ignorant. We've had more than 13k of our own fans at several games this year. If you bring 6k, it will be damn close to a sellout. But according to your paper, you've only sold 1500 of the 3000 tickets we sent you.

Ouch. That ain't good. The only explanation for that is that these are Yosef club members and students and once the full allotment is released they'll sell them, but I thought they were releasing those on Tues. so who knows.

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Which paper? Not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see a link or citation. I can't find anything on the Appalachian or goasu.com about it.

Dukie95
December 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Quit being ignorant. We've had more than 13k of our own fans at several games this year.

I have no reason to doubt those numbers, I just wonder where you get them.

09/19/09 Hofstra 7511
09/26/09 VMI 7554
10/24/09 Massachusetts 8214
11/07/09 Villanova 11667
11/21/09 William & Mary 17527
11/28/09 Elon 6143

-ncaa.org

You're saying that against William and Mary, UR was able to double their own average attendance and that W&M only brought 4,000 of their own fans.

AppyinVA
December 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM

I understood that our allotment was 5,000. It doesn't matter. I spoke to a friend from Elon. He said that there were way more Elon fans than Spider's fans. He sat on the home team side, and almost half the fans there were Elon's fans.

IMO, we are about a 2 or 3 touchdown favorite over UR, afterall we beat Elon 27-10, while Richmond only beat them 16-13. I was surprised Richmond didn't have a stronger defensive effort.

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
I understood that our allotment was 5,000. It doesn't matter. I spoke to a friend from Elon. He said that there were way more Elon fans than Spider's fans. He sat on the home team side, and almost half the fans there were Elon's fans.

IMO, we are about a 2 or 3 touchdown favorite over UR, afterall we beat Elon 27-10, while Richmond only beat them 16-13. I was surprised Richmond didn't have a stronger defensive effort.

No, no. He said QUIT being ignorant.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
But according to your paper, you've only sold 1500 of the 3000 tickets we sent you.

Link, please.

biggie
December 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Heard that 1/2 of the 3k were sold as well, but Yosef had through Tuesday to buy, belive the rest are being released today, + the hundreds that have went through UR to get tickets. Probaly looking at 4-5k App fans currently.

ur2k
December 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM

That is absolutely NOT the truth. Let's just go ahead and nip that falsehood in the bud.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM

Your friend was full of it.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Here's the quote:

Estimates are that as many as 5,000 ASU fans could attend the 7 p.m. game at Richmond Stadium. Steve White, ASU's ticket manager, said he has 3,000 tickets to sell and, as of yesterday afternoon, about half had been sold. Some ASU fans are buying tickets from Richmond's ticket office.

ur2k
December 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Also that's down from the original estimate that UR gave App 5,000 tickets for their allotment.

I hope you guys fill the whole visitors' side which seats around 6 or 7,000. The home side seats around 14,000 (I think). That would make for a great atmosphere.

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Here's the quote:
xthumbsupx

CrackerRiley
December 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Just picked up my ticket.
Section J, Row D, Seat 6. Who's near me?!

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Here's the full article with that quote included:

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/dec/02/mountaineers-prepare-for-new-experience/

DinoDex200
December 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
That is absolutely NOT the truth. Let's just go ahead and nip that falsehood in the bud.

Yeah - I don't think there were even more Elon fans when we played them AT Elon!

I'd be surprised if Elon brought even 1k fans...

ur2k
December 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah - I don't think there were even more Elon fans when we played them AT Elon!

I'd be surprised if Elon brought even 1k fans...

Elon actually had a pretty good crowd there. Very vocal as well. I would say 2,000 ish.

19Duke97
December 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Oh in response to the original question of this post - no it will not be a sellout.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
It won't be a sellout because Richmond doesn't report their students that attend for free. But, it will be packed. xnodx

19Duke97
December 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
It won't be a sellout because Richmond doesn't report their students that attend for free. But, it will be packed. xnodx

I figure there will be 7-8K UR fans, 5-7K ASU fans and maybe 1-2 "others". If Richmond actually supported athletics (City not school), this would sellout in a heartbeat. These are guesses, but I'd bet I'm pretty close.

Spiderbone
December 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I figure there will be 7-8K UR fans, 5-7K ASU fans and maybe 1-2 "others". If Richmond actually supported athletics (City not school), this would sellout in a heartbeat. These are guesses, but I'd bet I'm pretty close.

Isn't that the truth. The City treats UR like Crap, almost to the point of being "inconvenienced" by the football games and then wonders why we up and leave City stadium for an on campus venue. No wonder sports teams flee Richmond like it is infested with the plague, they boss all of the athletic programs around, force them to play in crappy venues, and get upset when there are too many fans at the events. Case in point in the past 5 years we have lost...Hockey, Baseball, Spiders and nobody but the lame Flying squirrels are planning to return ( I don't think they will last long either in the crumbling diamond).

Appattk
December 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
This was posted on the MMB but I wanted to repost it here. I'm one of those counting on this bus to happen...

Mountaineers, please help us make this happen. If we don't get to 40 (40! We have all these fans going and we can't get 40 people between the state's three largest metropolitan areas that want a chauffer?) by 4pm today this WILL NOT happen. Of the folks that we have on board (27) we're all excited about the prospect of not having to worry about the driving and for the most part (save perhaps some Raleigh folks) spending less than it would cost us in gas for our own vehicles. For $35 you can hop on the bus and be home to sleep in your own bed after the game. It will originate at Park Road Shopping Center in Charlotte, stop at a TBD spot off I-85 near Greensboro, and make one final stop for Triangle area YOSEFs at Northgate Mall in Durham, just off I-85 as well (this may change if Northgate doesn't appear to be the most agreeable spot for most of the Triangle area folks - although it appears to be easy and close to 85 when looking at the map) .

We are shooting for a 3-3:30 arrival in Richmond, giving us plenty of time to do one or all of the following: a) continue tailgating; b) find a bar within walking distance and watch the SEC championship game; c) get in line early for what could be a long Will Call line for tickets.

Please email me: [email protected]

GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I would think there will be a lot more Richmond fans than 7-8k.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM

I would think Richmond would have more than 7-8k fans.

But, I do like your numbers. Would help out our team playing their first road playoff game in 8 years tremendously. :D

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
I would think Richmond would have more than 7-8k fans.

But, I do like your numbers. Would help out our team playing their first road playoff game in 8 years tremendously. :D

Based on the Nova and W&M games, I would think that UR will be in the 9-10K range, maybe more.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Based on the Nova and W&M games, I would think that UR will be in the 9-10K range, maybe more.

I concur with your analysis. Based on what I have seen so far, I would guess 16-17k attend this game and 13k ends up being reported to the NCAA.

No matter the number of attendees, I expect a very 'jovial' environment on Saturday night.

JMU Newbill
December 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM

I say 10000 lucky, 11000 at the most, split however you want.. It's supposed to be rainy and cold Saturday during the day, with a chance of a snow shower that night. That will keep some people home. http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/wxdetail/USVA0652?dayNum=3

Yes, I know, no ASU fan would ever use that as an excuse. Just saying, common sense would tell you that rainy + cold = less attendance.

Also, keep in mind that exam week starts the Monday after the game. This will also keep your casual fan/bookworm indoors during the cold to study.

One other interesting tidbit for you ASU fans coming to keep in mind, Virginia just passed a law restricting/banning smoking in restaurants/bars. Many of the bars close to the stadium are relatively small in size, so don't plan on packing in there before/after the game and being able to sit at the bar and smoke. Just a heads up!

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
"Jovial" xlolx

Never heard a football crowd described that way.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
"Jovial" xlolx

Never heard a football crowd described that way.

Then put in on paper, Coulson. Best to use diverse words in your writing.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Then put in on paper, Coulson. Best to use diverse words in your writing.

I know what jovial means....... but, I don't think that's the way a football crowd should be described. Maybe a sedate crowd of mainly 50+ year olds sitting down and giving the occasional golf clap.

Raucous, cacophonous, rowdy, deafening, thundering, etc. are how a football environment should be described imo.

"Jovial" xlolx

I'm sure our players will have a hard time running their offense with the jovial crowd sitting in rapt silence.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I know what jovial means....... but, I don't think that's the way a football crowd should be described. Maybe a sedate crowd of mainly 50+ year olds sitting down and giving the occasional golf clap.

Raucous, cacophonous, rowdy, deafening, thundering, etc. are how a football environment should be described imo.

"Jovial" xlolx

I'm sure our players will have a hard time running their offense with the jovial crowd sitting in rapt silence.

Can we just agree that we'll all have a 'grand old time'?

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Can we just agree that we'll all have a 'grand old time'?

Sure! :Dxthumbsupx

ur2k
December 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
In this case, jovial may be a synonym for "liquored-up".

Its going to be cold and 7pm is a late start. We're going to need some help to stay warm.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
In this case, jovial may be a synonym for "liquored-up".

Its going to be cold and 7pm is a late start. We're going to need some help to stay warm.

Ain't that the truth. I think the night game will have a big impact on making the atmosphere more raucous than jovial.

SpeedkingATL
December 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ain't that the truth. I think the night game will have a big impact on making the atmosphere more raucous than jovial.

Hopefully the atmosphere will come close to the Friday night Halloween game in Boone last year. It was like a combination of a zoo and Disneyland. Wouldn't mind a similar outcome either.:D

AppState
December 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Can someone give us an idea of how much change we need to have in the car for tolls? I like to have exact change at toll booths. Thanks .

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Can someone give us an idea of how much change we need to have in the car for tolls? I like to have exact change at toll booths. Thanks .
I don't get down to that booth very often, and I have a smart tag anyway. I'd say your safe with $1.50 in change. The highest toll on the expressway is 70 cents, and I think the stadium toll is only 30 cents.

I just drove by there about an hour ago. I might check if I'm over that way tomorrow.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I don't get down to that booth very often, and I have a smart tag anyway. I'd say your safe with $1.50 in change. The highest toll on the expressway is 70 cents, and I think the stadium toll is only 30 cents.

I just drove by there about an hour ago. I might check if I'm over that way tomorrow.

I would bring a couple bucks in change, depending on where you are coming from ... particularly if you will be coming north on Powhite Parkway. The toll right outside the stadium is 20 cents.

AppState
December 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks. I assumed incorrectly it would be significantly higher than that.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

I'll put the over/under at 17,250;)

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM

Absolutely under, way under. If it's raining/snowing and 30 degrees, you will not get the draw needed from UR/city of Richmond base needed for that.

State Line Liquors
December 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Under. And it's nothing to be ashamed of. UD's attendance has been even less the last few weeks.

Major Factors: Weather and time keeping some of the locals away, the appearance of low tickets sales for the Appsters.

biggie
December 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Will weather affect the local Rich fans that much? I have a feeling that any App fan that has a ticket already will make it no matter the weather.

SpiderSafety75
December 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Possible rain and certain cold weather is going to keep a lot of the locals away. Not that many people with a casual interest are going to come out to watch football in 25 degree weather, unless they have absolutely nothing else to do. Richmond ain't New York, but they aren't backwater enough to come out in sub-freezing temps unless they have a rooting interest. Heck, since I have a singing gig the next afternoon, I'm concerned that I might not even be able to sit out there myself...just going to have to see how bad it's going to be.

It's a shame that it's going to be sort of nasty...but the fans that ARE there will be REAL fans, to be sure!

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Will weather affect the local Rich fans that much? I have a feeling that any App fan that has a ticket already will make it no matter the weather.

Short answer = Yes. They got 12K for homecoming last year in perfect weather against an in-state rival. There will be less than that on the UR side for sure.

appirishmen
December 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Under. And it's nothing to be ashamed of. UD's attendance has been even less the last few weeks.

Major Factors: Weather and time keeping some of the locals away, the appearance of low tickets sales for the Appsters.

according to the news yesterday, App has sold about 5,000 tickits to the big wigs and students. they open the ticks up today for everyone else. that does not include people like me who bought ticks through richmond. i think App will hold its own. we are driving up there so the weather wont bother us. we are there might as well go to the game.

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
We all know that ASU is perfect and the weather won't have an effect on a single one of their decisions to come to the game.

However, the fact remains that less people will be at the game than 12k. It's not a knock on anyone, it's just common sense. UR has exams the next week. UR places a lot of value in academics, as do the students that go there (and the parents that pay 40k a year for their kids to go there). Its going to be very cold and wet (rain or snow). While none of these factors would effect ASU people, it will effect the UR student, the Richmond City sports fan, and any Richmond Alum with a family to consider exposing to the elements.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'm retracting my earlier prediction of a packed house.

I can still buy 10 tickets all together and right up front on the 30 yard line home side.

Harder to tell how App ticket sales are going...

ronpayne
December 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
With all these dire predictions about Richmond fans not turning out, it is starting to sound like App may have more fans at the game (or a comparable percentage) than Richmond. (Not a knock or anything, just observations from reading).

Go Apps!

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
With all these dire predictions about Richmond fans not turning out, it is starting to sound like App may have more fans at the game (or a comparable percentage) than Richmond. (Not a knock or anything, just observations from reading).

Go Apps!

You'll get an argument on this comment from UR people, but I would say that ASU pulling comparable numbers to UR is certainly reasonable.

JMU pulls comparable numbers to early season fall games at UR in good weather.

ASU travel wells, and its a playoff game, and all of the previously mentioned factors.... I would expect anywhere from a 65/35 crowd to a near 50/50 crowd. If App travels 4k-5k, which I still think is unlikely due to the weather (yes yes I know most dedicated and well traveled fan base ever, you will all be there), you are gonna be somewhere in the area of 60/40 - 50/50.

phillyAPP
December 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
You'll get an argument on this comment from UR people, but I would say that ASU pulling comparable numbers to UR is certainly reasonable.

ASU travel wells, and its a playoff game, and all of the previously mentioned factors.... I would expect anywhere from a 65/35 crowd to a near 50/50 crowd. If App travels 4k-5k, which I still think is unlikely due to the weather (yes yes I know most dedicated and well traveled fan base ever, you will all be there), you are gonna be somewhere in the area of 60/40 - 50/50.

I agree with you except the 5k+ APP fans who bought tickets will not miss this game and the weather wont make a difference. We love snow on the mountain and it rained 2/3 times this year and still got good crowds.

I am excited to drive to Richmond tomorrow !!

proasu89
December 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
I concur. I typically sit in the front too. I was planning to throw a soda on any ASU fans I see down there! xlolxxlolx

I'll make sure I bring my rainsuitxlolx

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
There is no chance in he11 that App brings a comparable number of fans as UR. They barely sold 2,000 tickets through their own ticket office. Unless they are buying 5,000 through our ticket office, it won't be close.

Eight Legger
December 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

JMU also has more alums living in Richmond than UR does. I doubt that App could say the same.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
They barely sold 2,000 tickets through their own ticket office.

Link?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Link?

No link. Word from our A.D. this afternoon. App sent back between 500 and 1000 of the 3000 tickets we sent to Boone after business closed yesterday. We had held back an additional 2000 for App State that will now go to the general public (nowhere).

Around 12,000 total is expected for the game. Game being on TV in both Boone and Richmond ... and weather cited.

I posted this on the 'Snow' thread buried somewhere below when I heard it.

Kiss My Apps
December 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
The 5,000 App fan estimate seemed a bit lofty... I'm thinking more in the 2-3K range plus the band. xeyebrowx

A little help on tailgating policies please! Got this in an email today:

Parking for App Fans will be available in lots 3, 4, and 5, and are first-come first-served at $5 per space. Lots open three hours prior to the game, but will fill up quickly, so get there early.
From the Richmond athletics site: Tailgating
• Lots open three hours prior to kickoff. We recommend you arrive early to avoid delays.
• All lots will adhere to a one-car, one-space policy. Additional spaces are not available, and reserving parking spots for tailgating is prohibited.
• Please enjoy tailgating in areas directly in front of or behind vehicles without impeding traffic flow.
• State Law requires you to adhere strictly to the ABC Alcohol Policy. Lots designated at ABC "Off" are non-alcohol lots (3,4 and 5).

Should I be reading this as the lots available for App Fans are the ABC "off" lots?
xeekx xeekx xeekx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
The 5,000 App fan estimate seemed a bit lofty... I'm thinking more in the 2-3K range plus the band. xeyebrowx

A little help on tailgating policies please! Got this in an email today:

Parking for App Fans will be available in lots 3, 4, and 5, and are first-come first-served at $5 per space. Lots open three hours prior to the game, but will fill up quickly, so get there early.
From the Richmond athletics site: Tailgating
• Lots open three hours prior to kickoff. We recommend you arrive early to avoid delays.
• All lots will adhere to a one-car, one-space policy. Additional spaces are not available, and reserving parking spots for tailgating is prohibited.
• Please enjoy tailgating in areas directly in front of or behind vehicles without impeding traffic flow.
• State Law requires you to adhere strictly to the ABC Alcohol Policy. Lots designated at ABC "Off" are non-alcohol lots (3,4 and 5).

Should I be reading this as the lots available for App Fans are the ABC "off" lots?
xeekx xeekx xeekx

Just bring solo cups. You will be fine.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
No link. Word from our A.D. this afternoon. App sent back between 500 and 1000 of the 3000 tickets we sent to Boone after business closed yesterday. We had held back an additional 2000 for App State that will now go to the general public (nowhere).

Around 12,000 total is expected for the game. Game being on TV in both Boone and Richmond ... and weather cited.

I posted this on the 'Snow' thread buried somewhere below when I heard it.

Eh, could be true. Last report I saw was from Tuesday or Monday saying we had sold about half of our allotment of 3,000 (and that was when they were only available to Yosef Club and students). I have a hard time believing we've only sold 500 to non Yosef/students since then. Could be true though, I guess we'll see. :D

What's your AD basing the 12,000 estimate on? I guess he's counting on ~10,000 Richmond fans? I can still buy 10 tickets all together, right up front, on the 30 yard line home side. Just wondering how he came up with the 12,000 number.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Eh, could be true. Last report I saw was from Tuesday or Monday saying we had sold about half of our allotment of 3,000 (and that was when they were only available to Yosef Club and students). I have a hard time believing we've only sold 500 to non Yosef/students. Could be true though, I guess we'll see. :D

What's your AD basing the 12,000 estimate on? I guess he's counting on ~10,000 Richmond fans? I can still buy 10 tickets all together, right up front, on the 30 yard line home side. Just wondering how he came up with the 12,000 number.

I'm not pulling your leg ... one benefit of not have a huge fanbase is 'word' gets around fast.

I don't ask how they come up with numbers. Keep in mind there are still two days until the game so estimates may be based on predicted Friday and gameday sales.

Sales were still going 'steadily' here. The storm is actually supposed to pass through quickly and should be gone a few hours before kickoff, so hoping for a last minute push.

Cincy App
December 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
ASU's ticket office only allowed sales to students and booster club members until 12 Noon on Tuesday. As well, ASU did not sell any tix at all until 9 AM Monday. Accordingly, many ASU fans bought tickets directly from UR's online ticket site or UR's ticket office. No telling what impact the ASU ticket office decisions made. I still expect 3,000 - 4,000 ASU fans at the game (just a guess). We'll see on Saturday night! I will be making the long haul from TN to the game.

SpiderSafety75
December 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'd like to know how they can estimate the 'speed' of a storm 'moving through' an area three days ahead of time. :)

appsfan
December 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Just bring solo cups. You will be fine.

Thanks for the information- I'll be sure to have cups.xbeerchugx If the weather that is predicted shows up, I would want to partake of some adult beverages...

Also, any problems with setting up canopies?

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the information- I'll be sure to have cups.xbeerchugx If the weather that is predicted shows up, I would want to partake of some adult beverages...

Also, any problems with setting up canopies?

Shouldn't have a problem with the tent. Just keep it close to the tailgate of your car. Several of the security folks are a pain in the A about that.

spdram
December 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
With tents etc no problem as long as you don't take up extra parking or travel lanes. Yes cups or coolies

I was almost sorry to hear the game was going to be on TV locally, since they announced it I have heard about 12 "casual fans" say they would stay home and watch the SEC game and then ours. My guess is that costs us about 1500 in attendence.

MacThor
December 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I doubt it will sell out, but I'm sure the attendance will exceed our home semifinal against SFA. :)

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I fear that attendance is rapidly dropping.

When my wife picked up our tickets today she said that there was a man arguing with the ticket office that his ticket should be refunded since the weather is going to be bad.

It's too bad because this game deserves a huge crowd. Hopefully the weather will be better than expected and they'll be a good walk-up crowd. I'm guessing announced attendance will be around 7500, but hope I am wrong.

kdinva
December 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
......When my wife picked up our tickets today she said that there was a man arguing with the ticket office that his ticket should be refunded since the weather is going to be bad.........

xbawlingxxsmhx.........you still see 104,000 in Knoxville, etc., when it rains.........yet in Lexington I've seen folks (the older alums) bolt for the alumni building when rain starts.

SpiderSafety75
December 4th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Weather report actually looks worse today than ever...currently Weather.com is calling for an 80% chance of mixed rain and snow at game time. Thanks to my need to NOT end up with a cold or the flu, I'm going to have to watch this one on TV. I will not, however, call up the ticket office today and demand a refund. (This jerk sounds like too many of my customers.)

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2009, 07:14 AM
In my tailgate experiences in the lot everyone is talking about (for visitors), we are usually first or close to first in line. Each time, the security/police patrolling have said to us "you can't drink in this lot" and "you can't set tables up" in this lot, each time with the biggest ***** eating grin on their faces. They will say what they are required to say, not because they want, but because they have to. After about 5 minutes and once the first 50 cars get in the lot and set up, all cops/security vanish into thin air. At the end of the day, it's just like any other lot. It's a good time, just be smart, put it in a cup, keep stuff behind your own car, and you will be just fine!

Good luck to both sides!

Appoholic
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I think there should be a very good showing by App fans. The school paid for the entire band to come. There are fans taking it upon themselves to rent charter buses and pick up people on the way from Charlotte to Richmond. Not school sponsered buses but just fans doing it on their own. One thing about App - we travel well.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not pulling your leg ... one benefit of not have a huge fanbase is 'word' gets around fast.

I don't ask how they come up with numbers. Keep in mind there are still two days until the game so estimates may be based on predicted Friday and gameday sales.

Sales were still going 'steadily' here. The storm is actually supposed to pass through quickly and should be gone a few hours before kickoff, so hoping for a last minute push.

From your local paper:

Appalachian's ticket manager, Steve White, Wednesday projected that between 4,000 and 5,500 Mountaineers fans will be at UR Stadium. There could be more fans pulling for ASU than UR.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB04_20091203-212407/309399/
xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
From your local paper:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB04_20091203-212407/309399/
xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

We will see what happens tomorrow, I guess. I thought we would have learned by now to not trust everything you read. You should know that, Coulson.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM
We will see what happens tomorrow, I guess. I thought we would have learned by now to not trust everything you read. You should know that, Coulson.

I trust something I read published over something I read anonymously on a message board. ;)

I'm quite confident there will be far more than 2,000 App fans. xnodx

But, you're right... we'll see tomorrow.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I trust something I read published over something I read anonymously on a message board. ;)

I'm quite confident there will be far more than 2,000 App fans. xnodx

But, you're right... we'll see tomorrow.

Never said there would be 2000 app fans. I said your ticket office had sold just over 2000 tickets. My source is reliable and I have nothing to lose or gain by lying here. I don't care.

You are obsessed with this conversation. I guess when its all said and done tomorrow night, you can at least go to bed happy that your 'head count' worked out, huh?

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I just called the ASU ticket office and they haven't sent any tickets back yet. They are selling them today until noon and then taking them to Richmond.

So, not sure why your AD told you App had returned half their tickets. xeyebrowx

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Never said there would be 2000 app fans. I said your ticket office had sold just over 2000 tickets. My source is reliable and I have nothing to lose or gain by lying here. I don't care.

You are obsessed with this conversation. I guess when its all said and done tomorrow night, you can at least go to bed happy that your 'head count' worked out, huh?

I also just got off the phone with the ASU ticket office... They are still selling tickets and haven't sent any back. They are selling them until noon today. So, your source was definitely wrong that we sent back half our allotment on Wednesday....

Word from our A.D. this afternoon. App sent back between 500 and 1000 of the 3000 tickets we sent to Boone after business closed yesterday.

UncleSam
December 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I doubt it will sell out, but I'm sure the attendance will exceed our home semifinal against SFA. :)

The only way it will sell out (maybe) is if they move the game to UR's new (but uncompleted) stadium.

appsfan
December 4th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for scoop on UR tailgating...

SpiderSafety75
December 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I love how some JMU and ASU fans talk constantly about their huge fan bases in comparison with schools one-fourth their size. We get it, guys and gals - we're just a little bitty liberal arts school and you are both schools who could be in Div 1 if they really wanted to be. There's no comparison and there never will be. Big deal.

kdinva
December 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM

37 and drizzle in south richmond............I adjust the over/under (fans in the stands, not tix sold) to 13,200.

grizchamp
December 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Def NOT a sellout.

Tribe07
December 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Nope. I'd guess 12,000

clintc
December 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Field looks like S**T already............ And the turnout is pathetic for Richmond..
Now we know why APP should have recieved a SEED..
LOOKS BETTER FOR TV

ronpayne
December 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Field looks like S**T already............ And the turnout is pathetic for Richmond..
Now we know why APP should have recieved a SEED..
LOOKS BETTER FOR TV

Richmond would have had the same number of fans if they had traveled to Boone, and it would be less likely anybody would get injured. Oh yeah, and we'd have sold out the game (or at least filled the stands).

Go Apps!

AppAlum2003
December 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM
29,000 minimum if this game's in Boone... especially a night game

AAadict
December 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Richmond would have had the same number of fans if they had traveled to Boone, and it would be less likely anybody would get injured. Oh yeah, and we'd have sold out the game (or at least filled the stands).

Go Apps!

Maybe the 2 games you lost was a factor in not getting a seed?

JMU Newbill
December 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Maybe the 2 games you lost was a factor in not getting a seed?

You think that plays any part? How dare you!

I love the UR people trying to defend the count that was announced, bumping it up by a couple thousand. Even I over estimated the number of people that would attend the game, and I was a couple thousand under everyone else's guesses.

Anyway, great game. I enjoyed watching it. So many interesting story lines going in, and now great story lines afterwards as well. Regardless of the stadium and the number of people attending, I think this game was great for FCS football.

phillyAPP
December 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
You think that plays any part? How dare you!

I love the UR people trying to defend the count that was announced, bumping it up by a couple thousand. Even I over estimated the number of people that would attend the game, and I was a couple thousand under everyone else's guesses.

Anyway, great game. I enjoyed watching it. So many interesting story lines going in, and now great story lines afterwards as well. Regardless of the stadium and the number of people attending, I think this game was great for FCS football.

Well said !!!!

Richmond is a great team and had a great coach.

Richmond does not play FCS football to satisfy any attendance #'s. They play old style football with pride and fundimentals. Thier fans are as good as any and have WINS to be proud of.

The APP win on saturday was the best win since you know when(2 years ago).