PDA

View Full Version : Broadway to Monroe?

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thoughts on Grambling head coach Rod Broadway's prospects at ULM?

Broadway makes slightly over $150k at Grambling. Would a $25-50k increase (if ULM can afford that) plus an FBS job be enticing to Broadway, if he could factor in?

I figure Broadway at the very least gets an interview, even if he's not a legitimate candidate for the job. Possible pressure from local legislators as well.

It'd be a lot like the Roger Cador situation at Southern (regardless of what SU fans and Cador himself want you to believe).

What's Broadway's goals as a coach? May be the easiest leap from an FCS head coaching spot to FBS. Not the most attractive, but if he could put together a few good seasons there, he'd be one of the top minority candidates in the country (see Turner Gil) each time a position opens...

Sly Fox
November 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I agree that it could lead to bigger and better things. But this is ULM we are talking about.

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Broadway is coming back to NCCU.

*crosses fingers and prays* xtwocentsx

GeauxLions94
December 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Why would Broadway want to leave Grambling for that FBS crap hole (albeit 30 minutes away)??? He could definitely be an attractive candidate at some other low-FBS schools, but Monroe shouldn't be one of them. xnonox

Aho_Old_Guy
December 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM

Not if he will take a pay cut to coach Appalachian :D

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Not if he will take a pay cut to coach Appalachian :D

Dude was the toast of the town here. Even in the shadow of three ACC schools. I know he wanted to leave the memory of his deceased wife behind, but I really don't think he knew much about Grambling, besides their legend/prestige.

He can come back just in time to get his first recruiting class in for our first year of playoff/championship eligibility.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Dude was the toast of the town here. Even in the shadow of three ACC schools. I know he wanted to leave the memory of his deceased wife behind, but I really don't think he knew much about Grambling, besides their legend/prestige.

He can come back just in time to get his first recruiting class in for our first year of playoff/championship eligibility.

I'm not sure either of us can afford him --- my understanding is Coach Broadway is pulling down $170-$180k. I believe Coach Moore is in the $160k range.

I wish Dook had shown him a bit more respect - at least give him an interview even if he wasn't their first choice. I guess it worked out okay for them but I'd love to see Coach down at Wade starring across the field at 'em --- as App's HC xlolx

I've even got my sales pitch for him worked out: "Coach, we can win the NC with yah, or we can win the NC without yah. So come on and dig Yosef!"

I'd love to have a little Sister Sledge (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s0.ilike.com/play%23Sister%2BSledge:We%2BAre%2BFamily:15382:s51 71.8368809.2541.0.2.221%252Cstd_b726cac71fac43208b 1867c1d1f94970&ei=NLcVS5iBE8eWtgfU3fjlBA&sa=X&oi=music_play_track&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNFyePjNyu2UjZwuXkrTegyzT3YUHw) goin' on in the background but that might be too much - LOL - as would Coach Moore werkin' that groove thang xsmiley_wix

Make one hell of a video, though ....

WileECoyote06
December 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure either of us can afford him --- my understanding is Coach Broadway is pulling down $170-$180k. I believe Coach Moore is in the $160k range.

I wish Dook had shown him a bit more respect - at least give him an interview even if he wasn't their first choice. I guess it worked out okay for them but I'd love to see Coach down at Wade starring across the field at 'em --- as App's HC xlolx

I've even got my sales pitch for him worked out: "Coach, we can win the NC with yah, or we can win the NC without yah. So come on and dig Yosef!"

I'd love to have a little Sister Sledge (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://s0.ilike.com/play%23Sister%2BSledge:We%2BAre%2BFamily:15382:s51 71.8368809.2541.0.2.221%252Cstd_b726cac71fac43208b 1867c1d1f94970&ei=NLcVS5iBE8eWtgfU3fjlBA&sa=X&oi=music_play_track&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNFyePjNyu2UjZwuXkrTegyzT3YUHw) goin' on in the background but that might be too much - LOL - as would Coach Moore werkin' that groove thang xsmiley_wix

But the people at Grambling are schizo. . . He's already been accosted by former players; and the folks aren't too happy about them laying an egg against Prairie View.

But he does have one of the sweetest deals in all of FCS. He gets a $5000 bonus for winning the SWAC west, and $6,000 for winning the Bayou Classic.

All of those bonuses are in addition to endorsements. xeekx

mikebigg
December 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
But the people at Grambling are schizo. . . He's already been accosted by former players; and the folks aren't too happy about them laying an egg against Prairie View.

But he does have one of the sweetest deals in all of FCS. He gets a $5000 bonus for winning the SWAC west, and $6,000 for winning the Bayou Classic.

All of those bonuses are in addition to endorsements. xeekx

Not all.. i like the job he's doing. xthumbsupx

th0m
December 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
ULM pays only around $200k for a HC position? Or is this for a coordinator position? That number seems really low to me.

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
ULM pays only around $200k for a HC position? Or is this for a coordinator position? That number seems really low to me.

You should look up coaching salaries...

The SBC is at the bottom of the totem pole. It was $130 to 360k - the range for SBC coaches - as of Nov. 06.

The MAC is similar with some of their coaches getting lifts with some of the recent success.

MACHIAVELLI
December 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM

All of those bonuses are in addition to endorsements.

Grambling fans are passionate. He has not been accosted by former players. Yes I am very upset that we lost to a team that we are better than. Yes his deal is too sweet. I blame the former AD for that obvious error. I am not aware of any endorsements. I would not mind if Broadway went to ulm or any other school for that fact.

You are more than welcome to have him and the staff he brought with him.

I am crossing my toes and fingers and praying too.

MACHIAVELLI
December 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM

You are more than welcome to have him and the staff he brought with him.

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Can't have him back yet, Wile E... he's still winning BC's and re-establishing our home field superiority. Our home record had taken a dip with some losing seasons (at home) prior to his arrival. Currently, we haven't lost a home game in his 3 seasons at the helm.

th0m
December 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
You should look up coaching salaries...

The SBC is at the bottom of the totem pole. It was $130 to 360k - the range for SBC coaches - as of Nov. 06.

The MAC is similar with some of their coaches getting lifts with some of the recent success.

Interesting. With the top of the FCS getting around the 200-250k mark I assumed that the FBS bottom-feeders would at least be at the same level. With the Matthews of JMU tied to the Marshall search for a new HC and their former coach getting 360k I guess it was wishful thinking that that salary was a decent bench-mark. I guess it's in line with the quality of teams they put out on the field then ;)

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM

Question:

I noticed that your win-loss record since B'ways departure in 2006 is as follows:

2007: 6-4
2008: 4-7
2009: 4-7

One of the criticism of those who oppose him being at Grambling is the label of him not being a good recruiter... Apparently, there's either been a drop off in level or talent or in the degree of coaching at NCCU since he left. How did you view him as a recruiter during his time with you guys?

For the record, I think it's just another attempt of the naysayers who simply want him gone out of personal dislike...still tell me if you found him a capable recruiter as well as his staff.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Question:

I noticed that your win-loss record since B'ways departure in 2006 is as follows:

2007: 6-4
2008: 4-7
2009: 4-7

One of the criticism of those who oppose him being at Grambling is the label of him not being a good recruiter... Apparently, there's either been a drop off in level or talent or in the degree of coaching at NCCU since he left. How did you view him as a recruiter during his time with you guys?

For the record, I think it's just another attempt of the naysayers who simply want him gone out of personal dislike...still tell me if you found him a capable recruiter as well as his staff.

Mose Rison, who was Broadway's OC and QB coach took over the program but didn't retain any of the staff that helped make NCCU successful. Our talent level is a bit lower than when Broadway was here, but then again we had some freakish talent at the skill positions for the division II level; due to transfers and aggressive recruiting at junior colleges. I'd say they are good evaluators of talent, provided they have the budget to recruit effectively.

And Mose Rison isn't a very good manager.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Grambling fans are passionate. He has not been accosted by former players. Yes I am very upset that we lost to a team that we are better than. Yes his deal is too sweet. I blame the former AD for that obvious error. I am not aware of any endorsements. I would not mind if Broadway went to ulm or any other school for that fact. You are more than welcome to have him and the staff he brought with him. I am crossing my toes and fingers and praying too.

Broadway was accosted (to speak aggressively with, as in making demands) by former Grambling standout Elfrid Payton, after the 2007 Bayou Classic.

Other schools across the nation have passionate fans, as well you know. Actually, the teams appeared to be pretty even on the scoreboard. But giving up 180 yards rushing is never a recipe for success.

Believe me, we'd take Broadway back. Dude is a championship winning coach, and the 2006 AFCA Division II National Coach of the Year. He's won two BCF National Title in five years; including one at Grambling. He's beaten his school's fiercest rival two of the three years he's been in place at Grambling. I don't know what else you want out of a coach.

MACHIAVELLI
December 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Broadway was accosted (to speak aggressively with, as in making demands) by former Grambling standout Elfrid Payton, after the 2007 Bayou Classic.

Other schools across the nation have passionate fans, as well you know. Actually, the teams appeared to be pretty even on the scoreboard. But giving up 180 yards rushing is never a recipe for success.

Believe me, we'd take Broadway back. Dude is a championship winning coach, and the 2006 AFCA Division II National Coach of the Year. He's won two BCF National Title in five years; including one at Grambling. He's beaten his school's fiercest rival two of the three years he's been in place at Grambling. I don't know what else you want out of a coach.

*I wouldn't expect you to know what The ICON wants out of a coach. Two different levels of expectations.

*Some people believe everything they read about the Payton situation.

*Broadway is the best. Please don't take him from us. We never won anything before he got here.

v
v
v
v
v
v

Aho_Old_Guy
December 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
*Broadway is the best. Please take him from us.

DEAL! :p

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM

Timeout! Blow the whistle! Stop the play!

Whats up with Coach Moore? Is he retiring anytime soon? Are you just speculating?

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Broadway to Boone, NC????

Aho_Old_Guy
December 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Broadway to Boone, NC !!!!

It's becoming a movement!

Timeout! Blow the whistle! Stop the play!

Whats up with Coach Moore? Is he retiring anytime soon? Are you just speculating?

Coach Moore will be 70 on July 18th.

As I understand NC requirements (not sure if it applies to coaches) there is a mandatory retirement rule that kicks in.

If he does not retire this year, next year may well be his last (if the rule does apply across-the-board). If you turn 70 during the 'academic year' (which I believe would follow the state budget and begin on July 1) you may complete that year. It has something to do with how the State 'contracts' with employees ...

edit: I fergit .... Coach Moore is not really the type who would enjoy the 'hoopla' associated with a 'farewell' season. I think that, more so than anything, might be driving some of the 'speculation'

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
It's becoming a movement!

Coach Moore will be 70 on July 18th.

As I understand NC requirements (not sure if it applies to coaches) there is a mandatory retirement rule that kicks in.

If he does not retire this year, next year may well be his last (if the rule does apply across-the-board). If you turn 70 during the 'academic year' (which I believe would follow the state budget and begin on July 1) you may complete that year. It has something to do with how the State 'contracts' with employees ...

edit: I fergit .... Coach Moore is not really the type who would enjoy the 'hoopla' associated with a 'farewell' season. I think that, more so than anything, might be driving some of the 'speculation'

Mandatory Retirement? WOW!!! I remember hearing and reading things saying that the Grambling Faithful never really warmed up to Broadway but he has been winning.

You all might have popped the lid off of something major (FCS-wise). xwhistlex

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
*I wouldn't expect you to know what The ICON wants out of a coach. Two different levels of expectations.

*Some people believe everything they read about the Payton situation.

*Broadway is the best. Please don't take him from us. We never won anything before he got here.

v
v
v
v
v
v

Nor do I care what the ICON wants out of a coach, just like I don't care what Notre Dame wants in a coach. But yall both have an over-inflated expectation of your football program.

lol @ believe everything they read? Some folks out here in BB land actually have direct sources. So either call me and the countless news outlets who reported that story liars, or stop trying to be snide. Your sarcasm is definitely falling on dead ears buddy.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Mandatory Retirement? WOW!!! I remember hearing and reading things saying that the Grambling Faithful never really warmed up to Broadway but he has been winning.

You all might have popped the lid off of something major (FCS-wise). xwhistlex

You remember "Big House" Gaines at WSSU?

I think the 'retirement' thing got him back in the early 1990s ---- I'm not sure if they've changed the rules since then but I am aware of other university employees who hit that 'wall' since the 'House' retired ...

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
You remember "Big House" Gaines at WSSU?

I think the 'retirement' thing got him back in the early 1990s ---- I'm not sure if they've changed the rules since then but I am aware of other university employees who hit that 'wall' since the 'House' retired ...

Ah I see.

MACHIAVELLI
December 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Nor do I care what the ICON wants out of a coach, just like I don't care what Notre Dame wants in a coach. But yall both have an over-inflated expectation of your football program.

We have proof of our expectations.
22 SWAC CHAMPIONSHIPS:08,05,02,01,00,94,89,85,83,80,79,78, 77,74,73,72,71 ,68,67,66,65,60.