PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate ESPN and what I would like to see even though it will never happen

Redbird Ray
November 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Since ISU's football season is over, I feel that it's ok for me to start rambling about stupid dream scenarios over stuff that will never happen. Here it goes:

Are all of the quarterfinal games on 360? If so, that absolutely sucks. There's no other way to put it. I watched Ball State every week for the last month and the crap SWAC game of the week on the U every Saturday, but games that actually have significance and meaning with higher competition get shafted to 360? Unreal. Does ESPN really think that Ball State @ Western Michigan is a better game than William & Mary @ SIU? Really?

I realize that FCS simply does not pull in the dollars that FBS does, but wasn't the whole idea of ESPNU to showcase athletics not normally shown on national TV? It seems to me that this is the perfect setting for our playoff games. Why can't we get one game on the U this weekend? It seems to me that more often than not, the U is just another forum for the major six conferences. I'm guessing that outside of that stupid SWAC game this Saturday, there are a bunch of Big East and ACC hoops games on. If not the U, could we at least in the future work with Versus or CBScollegesports to get our games on a somewhat reputable network?

What I would love to see eventually is the WAC (minus Boise, Fresno and Hawaii for facilities reasons), the MAC and the Sun Belt to stop kidding themselves and drop down to FCS. Leave the MWC and CUSA in FBS and terminate the BCS. I think this would force some minor network (U, Versus, CBSCS, whatever) to cover more FCS football in general, and almost definitely give us a proper forum for playoff coverage. We all know we deserve more recognition than the D2 playoffs get. Right now, we barely have that.

ThompsonThe
November 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Remember, many of you will not, when the NCAA was promoting teams to go into the 1-AA years ago. I believe they may have called it something else at the time. Their big thing was that the 1-AA, now FCS, teams would get "tremendous television coverage". That was their carrot. Just go down to FCS and you will be so happy because you will get more TV coverage than if you stay in FBS.

The NCAA is a joke now. They are bullied around by the BCS. They do not even controll the BCS playoff system. NCAA was afraid of the BCS lawsuit, so they hid in a hole.

Yet, they dictate things to the FCS schools like Stalin would. You are going to change to 20 teams in the playoffs. Going to have to put your championship off for a month, and into January. So many rules, and decisions. They basically even take most of the playoff monies by having a bid system for the playoff games, to their betterment. They make more money by who bids the highest. Then they decide on "Regionalism" for the first round games; so some teams will continue to be eliminated by the same teams year after year.

The FCS needs to take control of their own football playoffs.

FargoBison
November 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Remember, many of you will not, when the NCAA was promoting teams to go into the 1-AA years ago. I believe they may have called it something else at the time. Their big thing was that the 1-AA, now FCS, teams would get "tremendous television coverage". That was their carrot. Just go down to FCS and you will be so happy because you will get more TV coverage than if you stay in FBS.

The NCAA is a joke now. They are bullied around by the BCS. They do not even controll the BCS playoff system. NCAA was afraid of the BCS lawsuit, so they hid in a hole.

Yet, they dictate things to the FCS schools like Stalin would. You are going to change to 20 teams in the playoffs. Going to have to put your championship off for a month, and into January. So many rules, and decisions. They basically even take most of the playoff monies by having a bid system for the playoff games, to their betterment. They make more money by who bids the highest. Then they decide on "Regionalism" for the first round games; so some teams will continue to be eliminated by the same teams year after year.

Expansion and moving the game are probably things that member schools initiated and voted on, not the NCAA. I know NDSU's AD was a huge proponent of expanding the playoffs.

89Hen
November 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Are all of the quarterfinal games on 360? If so, that absolutely sucks. There's no other way to put it. I watched Ball State every week for the last month and the crap SWAC game of the week on the U every Saturday, but games that actually have significance and meaning with higher competition get shafted to 360? Unreal. Does ESPN really think that Ball State @ Western Michigan is a better game than William & Mary @ SIU? Really?
You have a valid point. I can't tell you how many crappy I-A games I saw on ESPN and 2 with 50% of the stands full... @ Troy, @ Buffalo... xnonono2x

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Time to start bombarding ESPN with emails? I was thinking of writing one in advance to request they not talk about the BCS crap during the FCS games. Kind of remind them that the people watching the games don't give a rat's arse about the BCS and to give the FCS schools their one day in the sun kind of note. Thoughts?

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Absolutely write emails, send letters, whatever. If they hear from 100 of us, it's probably more commentary than they're getting from fans of the MAC. Those games are brutal, and if our former coach wasn't at Bowling Green, I would have never watched any of them.

ESPN acts like someone forced them to "carry" FCS playoff games, and so it will put the least amount of effort into it as possible. No promotion of the games, shoddy placement of the games, etc. Terrible.

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Absolutely write emails, send letters, whatever. If they hear from 100 of us, it's probably more commentary than they're getting from fans of the MAC. Those games are brutal, and if our former coach wasn't at Bowling Green, I would have never watched any of them.

ESPN acts like someone forced them to "carry" FCS playoff games, and so it will put the least amount of effort into it as possible. No promotion of the games, shoddy placement of the games, etc. Terrible.

I agree with you, but I honestly believe the only way the NCAA does anything in regards to the BCS, is when some Senator gets PO'ed because the team from his/her state didn't make it to the BCS games.

Then, and only then, when the NCAA is forced with having all of their spineless actions in regards to the BCS and strongarm tactics for everyone else be exposed.

sikolec
November 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The MAC is getting attention because they are scheduling games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, which is pure genius by their conference. Schedule games mid-week when no other games are being played and ESPN will show your conference. It makes perfect sense because the MAC knows they cannot compete for air time during the weekends. Maybe the FCS playoffs need to switch to some mid-week games to get air time...

Poker Alan
November 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Given how the games start times are so staggered this weekend, there is no reason other than disrespect, why between at least ESPNU and CSTV, they couldn't show all 4 of these games. There is enough people that go to these schools, are alumni, have an interest in the over 100 FCS schools, etc... to give them not only their proper broadcast time, but advanced publicity to generate a buzz for the games and attract even more viewers who may not otherwise be aware that they are even on.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Letters or phone calls to ESPN mean squat. Ratings and advertising dollars speak volumes. FCS doesn't carry the back-end, thus they're where they're at.

SumItUp
November 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I started a new thread that has ESPN contact info. Please only comment on the other thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66837) after you have sent an e-mail or letter to ESPN.

Web form to send e-mail to ESPN TV (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/contact)

If you prefer to write a letter, send it to:

ESPN Television
ESPN Plaza
Bristol, CT 06010

putter
November 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Letters or phone calls to ESPN mean squat. Ratings and advertising dollars speak volumes. FCS doesn't carry the back-end, thus they're where they're at.

I agree but this time of year the BS is winding up with only the conference championships meaning anything at all. IF the FCS could get more airtime and exposure it would be a boon to the division.

P.S. --> I sent my useless e-mail...nothing to lose

Big Dawg
November 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Time to start bombarding ESPN with emails? I was thinking of writing one in advance to request they not talk about the BCS crap during the FCS games. Kind of remind them that the people watching the games don't give a rat's arse about the BCS and to give the FCS schools their one day in the sun kind of note. Thoughts?

EXACTLY

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I agree but this time of year the BS is winding up with only the conference championships meaning anything at all. IF the FCS could get more airtime and exposure it would be a boon to the division.

P.S. --> I sent my useless e-mail...nothing to lose

Key phrase: "boon to the division", not a boon to ESPN.

Hammerhead
November 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The sad truth is there just isn't that much interest in FCS outside the schools with traditionally strong programs. The typical fan who follows the FBS thinks an FCS game is something like Piggly Wiggly State vs. Cow College even though a playoff team can hold their own against at least half of the FBS teams.xmadx

APPdopted
November 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
There are some FBSers out there who appreciate the FCS. I myself graduated from 2 ACC schools but have been following FCS heavily for the last 5 years(my wife went to ASU and we now are season ticket holders)
I love college football on a whole so it wasn't a tough sell for me, but I have loved the competition and tradition I have learned about in those years.
I take every opportunity to give props to the FCS on a whole to anyone who'll listen. I wonder if there are others like me out there.

UAalum72
November 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe the FCS playoffs need to switch to some mid-week games to get air time...
No, because by playoff time we're competing with BCS-conference basketball.

UNH Fanboi
November 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I can't blame people without a specific connection an FCS school not caring about FCS. I doubt anyone on this board would be posting here if they went to Florida and had no other FCS connection. What bothers me is that ESPN will televise absolutely meaningless games over the FCS playoffs.

19Duke97
November 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I can't blame people without a specific connection an FCS school not caring about FCS. I doubt anyone on this board would be posting here if they went to Florida and had no other FCS connection. What bothers me is that ESPN will televise absolutely meaningless games over the FCS playoffs.

You mean like Women's Pool or the most boring thing ESPN has ever put on TV - Poker? One night there was a great FCS game being played (forget who), but on ESPn was poker, and the deuce has some women's 9 ball tournament. Gimme a break. xrolleyesx

Sturgisjeff
November 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
During the womens NCAA basketball tournament (I know womens bb) last spring I wrote to ESPN about thier coverage of having the same game on three channels ESPNU,ESPN2,and ESPN when they said they were going to cover all the games. I got squat back for a response.

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM

You'd be surprised to how many people watch football just to watch football! If it's broadcasted, people will watch. This is not a factor.

Tribe
November 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
First off, I agree with the poster that said e-mails and phone calls do nothing. It makes people feel good but it has no bearing on what ESPN does. I know someone who works at the network. Do you know how many MMA fans have been bombarding that station with e-mails and letters over the last couple of years? Still no MMA on ESPN. Outside forces mean nothing to that network. You know what their reply would be, "We are showing the games. All you have to do is purchase ESPN Gameplan and you can see every game this weekend." I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying.

Also, I think ESPNU is a joke. It shows the most meaningless games in the world. I think if they focused more on mid-major basketball and at least showed FCS playoffs, it would be a step in the right direction.

You guys say no one cares about FCS football. My question is: How can they when it gets no coverage at all? I had more than one person say to me today, "Did you see what happened in that Montana game?" In my opinion, if we at least could get the FCS playoffs on the air, the same number of people would care about those games that do a meaningless Rutgers/Louisville game at the end of year. What do you think the ratings were for that game?

But in the end, nothing will change any time soon. Again, I will suggest if you can afford it, you may want to purchase the Gameplan next year. It's playing by ESPN's rules but at least you get to see all four games this weekend. Just some food for thought.

Tribe
November 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
You'd be surprised to how many people watch football just to watch football! If it's broadcasted, people will watch. This is not a factor.

It is to ESPN. They won't just put a new sport on the air anymore. They have been testing and studying MMA for the past two years to see how much interest there is. They are coming around but the initial thought was it's a niche sport that the mainstream won't care about. This isn't ESPN of 1998. Everything they do they have to do huge now.

And women's basketbal is a bad example. They air that just to be PC.

Again, I don't agree with ESPN but I seriously doubt you are going to see FCS football on any of their networks any time soon. That's just my opinion.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
The powers that be really have to pull the plug on ESPN and take a proposal to Versus. That network, I'm sure, would love to broadcast more FCS games, including the playoffs. Take it to a place where it would be a focal point, not get lost in the shuffle like it is at ESPN. The goal ought to be to get more games on national TV, period, regardless of what stations it's on.

I don't know if there is some type of long-term contract with ESPN or what, but if we can get out of it soon, do it. I give them some props for the Sportscenter coverage they gave the title game last year, but their semifinal coverage and promotion was atrocious. We need a network that cares enough to give our games prime billing. Surely there is one out there.

I have friends who graduated with me from UR a decade ago and moved out of the area who make fun of the fact that I'm a diehard Spiders football fan. Even THEY trash the FCS as if it's Division III girls volleyball, and they went here! It annoys me to no end, because if people like that can put down our brand of football, then what do you think the average sports fan thinks? And the main reason they think that is because they don't see our games on TV often enough.

DSUrocks07
November 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
The powers that be really have to pull the plug on ESPN and take a proposal to Versus. That network, I'm sure, would love to broadcast more FCS games, including the playoffs. Take it to a place where it would be a focal point, not get lost in the shuffle like it is at ESPN. The goal ought to be to get more games on national TV, period, regardless of what stations it's on.

I don't know if there is some type of long-term contract with ESPN or what, but if we can get out of it soon, do it. I give them some props for the Sportscenter coverage they gave the title game last year, but their semifinal coverage and promotion was atrocious. We need a network that cares enough to give our games prime billing. Surely there is one out there.

I have friends who graduated with me from UR a decade ago and moved out of the area who make fun of the fact that I'm a diehard Spiders football fan. Even THEY trash the FCS as if it's Division III girls volleyball, and they went here! It annoys me to no end, because if people like that can put down our brand of football, then what do you think the average sports fan thinks? And the main reason they think that is because they don't see our games on TV often enough.

I would support this kind of move. Right now they carry Mountain West games, I'm sure they can get some FCS games in as well.

colorless raider
November 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Breakup the ncaa, they are a jole and captive to the top 25. Oligopoly if I ever saw one.

DFW HOYA
November 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
ESPN does not pick games by chance. It signs agreements with conferences.

Give the MAC credit for doing whatever it takes to get on the air. Compare that to the Sun Belt, which toils in obscurity.

So how many I-AA conferences are actively promoting a package of games to people like ESPN and Fox? Too few. (In the case of the Patriot, not at all.)

As for playoffs, that's an issue with the NCAA and what they expect from the host school. Simply put, the playoffs aren't a priority.

LacesOut
November 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Same thread, different year.

Count your lucky stars that ESPN does televise the finals, let alone the semi's.

FCS is way way down on the list of priorities for them. Just statin' the facts. If you want to waste your time and energy in an attempt to change this, well, good luck!

Bettina90
November 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I, myself, really don't have a problem paying $20 to watch all four Quarterfinal games and then the rest gets televised in HD the rest of the way. I don't like ESPN, but FCS coverage, or lack thereof is not a factor.

You can't compare other sports that might be getting televised (like Poker, or women's pool) because you don't know the production or acquisition costs, they could both be tiny compared to sending out a team to broadcast a football game.

Mid-Atlantic
November 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I like the Versus idea.., even though a lot of people (Directv), might not have it

SU Jag
December 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Hey isu guy, why hate on the swac because we're getting air time on the tube? I understand your beef with espn but why the hell do you have to hate on us to get your point across? You act like is our fault that espn doesn't show up at isu. You need to holla at espn and stop hating on us.

GAD
December 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hey isu guy, why hate on the swac because we're getting air time on the tube? I understand your beef with espn but why the hell do you have to hate on us to get your point across? You act like is our fault that espn doesn't show up at isu. You need to holla at espn and stop hating on us.
What redbird fails to realize is no one is gonna watch a team that they never heard of and bowl games generate interest FCS playoff games don't (I don't like it either but it is what it is)

Redbird Ray
December 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
What redbird fails to realize is no one is gonna watch a team that they never heard of and bowl games generate interest FCS playoff games don't (I don't like it either but it is what it is)

Bowl games do generate interest, 1-10 Ball State does not. I realize there is a contract with the MAC, and to ESPN's credit they did not know that Ball State would faceplant like they did this year, but I still feel that there is more that FCS football can do to get its product shown on a higher level than internet feed games.

Honestly, what typical fairweather, BCS level type fan (most of college football's audience) has an active interest in a MAC team over Appy or Montana? To them, the MAC and FCS are the same. So why not play the games that show a higher level of competition, and frankly, with the playoffs, display a greater storyline for a non-diehard viewer? I'm not saying we need to kick the MAC out of it's spot on Tuesday nights in November, I'm just saying that there is a more consistent forum for FCS football to be shown nationally somewhere, and someone needs to bust their ass to find it.

And sorry to rip on the SWAC, I know the market and fanbase is there for viewship, but you're kidding yourself if you honsetly think some meaningless SWAC game deserves to have a spot on the U over any of the quarterfinal games.

SU Jag
December 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
You hit the nail right on the head, the market and veiwership is there, that's all that matters.

SumItUp
December 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Bowl games do generate interest, 1-10 Ball State does not.

Don't hate on Ball State, they are 2-10 and worked hard to earn that second win. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
It would be nice to have, say, the 7PM App State@Richmond game on ESPNU, or even on tape delay. And yes, it would most likely be a better share than Ball State/Whomever. But to say that ESPN doesn't care about FCS football I think is too strong a statement. They didn't have to break into the SDSU/Montana game last weekend on ESPN News, but they did.

What people are missing here is that ESPN is not thinking of this in terms of folks with ESPN360 and those that don't. They see it as everyone with ESPN has access: either they pay for it through their ISP (who makes the decision to carry ESPN360) or their cable company (who makes the decision to carry ESPN Gameplan). Yes, folks have to pay for it somehow, but ESPN isn't a charitable organization: they're in this business to make money.

ESPN has carried a lot of games exclusively this year on ESPN360, including ACC games, MAC games, etc. all year. So there is precedent, too.

I know it stinks for folks that don't have ESPN360. But I'll tell you this: forking over the $$$ to buy ESPN Gameplan for the week, and telling them that you're buying it so you can watch the playoffs, will probably do more to drive coverage than threatening. The NCAA is unlikely to move TV networks to televise games past the second round. They may open things up for first round games, but I just don't see ESPN giving up the second round and beyond - because they genuinely want those games. xreadx

Redbird Ray
December 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Don't hate on Ball State, they are 2-10 and worked hard to earn that second win. xlolx

Yes, they did finish 2-10. Props to Ball State. I meant to say they were 1-10 going into last Tuesday's game.

And just to be clear, it's not that I totally hate the SWAC. I would be making the same argument if this were the IVY league. I actually like to watch SWAC/MEAC games on the U/ESPN when they are on. I love just about any kind of football on TV, regardless of the level of competition.

I've been meaning to hit up the Chicago Classic one of these years. I also think it would be a lot of fun if ISU could schedule a SWAC or MEAC team (I'd really like to see it at a neutral location like Soldier Field or even Toyota Park in Chicago).

But enough hijacking my own thread, I would be interested in anyone else's feelings or input on how FCS can broaden its viewership/interest. Some interesting stuff on here so far.

tsutiger
December 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Redbird Ray,

It's very hard to watch a game on TV with so many empty seats. If your alumni does not care about your playoff game, why should anyone else. When you start selling out games, then start complaining ESPN doesn't broadcast FCS games. Your 1st round game featuring two teams from Illinois attracted less then 7K. Yet you want to throw shots at the SWAC. Take care of home first.

Just keeping it real. High School games shown on ESPN usually have more people in the stands then FCS games. Yet u want more TV time? Sell some tickets first.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Redbird Ray,

It's very hard to watch a game on TV with so many empty seats. If your alumni does not care about your playoff game, why should anyone else. When you start selling out games, then start complaining ESPN doesn't broadcast FCS games. Your 1st round game featuring two teams from Illinois attracted less then 7K. Yet you want to throw shots at the SWAC. Take care of home first.

Just keeping it real. High School games shown on ESPN usually have more people in the stands then FCS games. Yet u want more TV time? Sell some tickets first.

App State/Richmond was approaching a sellout, if it's not already.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
I like football and will watch almost any football. During the week that means watching MAC, MEAC, HS replays, FBS replays and if lucky some FCS replays on the Fox College Sports suite of channels. I think a lot of BC$ fans do the same thing.

Unfortunately, FCS isn't getting a national contract of any kind for games on Saturdays, just too much competition. Regional packages like what the CAA has with Comcast, yes. That leaves a couple of options, mid-week games like the MAC has done to get TV games or maybe a package to tape games and then televise during the week after the game. Obviously, the latter is less disruptive to our programs and our game day experiences. Would there be enough money in a package like the MAC has to warrant the weeknight games? Personally, living 2:45 from campus I'd hate the weeknight games.

I'd love to see a FCS package on Fox College Sports (;)) with replays of games that were televised by regional networks. Maybe if we had something, then there'd be some numbers that would make ESPN want to televise more of our playoff games.

catdaddy2402
December 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Honestly I don't get the outrage. When the FCS title game regularly has lower viewer ratings than the New Orleans Bowl what incentive does ESPN or any television network have for airing bracket play games? Ratings = advertising dollars and $$$ decides what gets put on tv.

txstatebobcat
December 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Honestly I don't get the outrage. When the FCS title game regularly has lower viewer ratings than the New Orleans Bowl what incentive does ESPN or any television network have for airing bracket play games? Ratings = advertising dollars and $$$ decides what gets put on tv.

I won't argue numbers since I don't have any of those with me at this point, however I distinctly remember the championship having better ratings then about two or three of the lower tier bowls. It doesn't sound very impressive, however when you look at how little coverage FCS gets it isn't to bad.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
I won't argue numbers since I don't have any of those with me at this point, however I distinctly remember the championship having better ratings then about two or three of the lower tier bowls. It doesn't sound very impressive, however when you look at how little coverage FCS gets it isn't to bad.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I do know that the numbers have been going up every year, pretty much. Cable only gets so much in terms of numbers.

Poker Alan
December 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

Gee, maybe with a little more promotion, some of those ratings could go up just a bit... There are over 100 FCS schools, in markets all over the country... more awareness=more viewers. The fact that Montana got the only real exposure last weekend, instead of a 2 min. section on Sportscenter where they cover all the games for 15 seconds each doesn't seem like to much to ask for. Hell, they give more publicity to the current womens' volleyball winning streak being compiled by Penn St, than to FCS football.

CrackerRiley
December 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Gee, maybe with a little more promotion, some of those ratings could go up just a bit... There are over 100 FCS schools, in markets all over the country... more awareness=more viewers. The fact that Montana got the only real exposure last weekend, instead of a 2 min. section on Sportscenter where they cover all the games for 15 seconds each doesn't seem like to much to ask for. Hell, they give more publicity to the current womens' volleyball winning streak being compiled by Penn St, than to FCS football.

Well, it's simple, we just need a team to win 1000 games in a row and maybe we'll get more exposure.... well nevermind that, I suppose they would be up to FBS by then.... darn. Whose turn to take down a top 5 program is it?