PDA

View Full Version : Injuries: just bad luck or something more?

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
As you all know, the Wofford Terriers failed to meet expectations this year on the football field. While inexperience and shaky QB play had a lot to do with the teams 2009 misfortunes, so did injuries. Injuries to key guys piled up week after week. At a small school like Wofford, that's devastating to the team's chances. But I'm wondering if something is wrong in the Wofford strength and conditioning program. I just have a hard time accepting that mere bad luck was to blame for all these guys going down. Should the Terriers take a long hard look at their strength and conditioning- or just write this year off as a fluke? xconfusedx

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
As you all know, the Wofford Terriers failed to meet expectations this year on the football field. While inexperience and shaky QB play had a lot to do with the teams 2009 misfortunes, so did injuries. Injuries to key guys piled up week after week. At a small school like Wofford, that's devastating to the team's chances. But I'm wondering if something is wrong in the Wofford strength and conditioning program. I just have a hard time accepting that mere bad luck was to blame for all these guys going down. Should the Terriers take a long hard look at their strength and conditioning- or just write this year off as a fluke? xconfusedx

strength and conditioning is not the problem. The problem with this year's team was that we got injured at key positions on defense (linebacker mainly), which forced us to play players (freshmen players no less) that, quite frankly, were not ready and in any other year would have redshirted. The lack of depth at LB was really why we were inconsistent on defense because they are the key to the middle of the field (stopping the run primarily) and if you would notice they played like the best defense in the conference (almost) in the first half against App, Samford, and The Citadel but when it came down to the second half the players were exhausted with not enough backups to properly rest them. If you'd look in the past you'd see we've always subbed at almost any position. The pass Defense IMO was better this year than last year, but the middle of the field hurt us, and the little zone between the corners and safeties (where we don't know if the safety should help or not) hurt us.

Offensively we were good, but not as good as last year, Mitch Allen should improve with time

MacThor
November 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
What does the size of the school have to do with it? Did Wofford have fewer scholarship players than their peers?

I think injuries are more likely a fluke. If your team is consistently being outmuscled and outconditioned, then you take a look.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I think you question conditioning if your team blows a lot of fourth quarter leads and struggles late in the season. For instance I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan and they are the worst conditioned team in the NFL, hence all the fourth quarter and late season collapses in recent years.

I don't think you can blame conditioning on things like ankle, shoulder and knee injuries.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
What does the size of the school have to do with it? Did Wofford have fewer scholarship players than their peers?

I think injuries are more likely a fluke. If your team is consistently being outmuscled and outconditioned, then you take a look.

I'm pretty sure we have less schollies than the other teams. injuries are big when you only have freshmen as backups

art vandelay
November 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM

What kind of injuries? If they are broken bones nothing you can do. If they are ACL, hamstring, shoulder, or any other joint that might be a factor of your strength and conditioning program.
They should try implementing the functional movement screen to look for common weaknesses amongst the teams and then focus in on those dysfunctions.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Wofford's bad season this year had nothing to do with strength and conditioning

fightingphoenix
November 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Just bad luck. Wofford will be a much better team next year.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
What kind of injuries? If they are broken bones nothing you can do. If they are ACL, hamstring, shoulder, or any other joint that might be a factor of your strength and conditioning program.
They should try implementing the functional movement screen to look for common weaknesses amongst the teams and then focus in on those dysfunctions.

How is a torn ACL a strength and conditioning thing? Most ACL injuries are freak things, and when you find an exercise to strengthen the ACL we would all love to you to share.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Giving up 30 pounds across the line doesn't help, either.

art vandelay
November 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
How is a torn ACL a strength and conditioning thing? Most ACL injuries are freak things, and when you find an exercise to strengthen the ACL we would all love to you to share.

Not true at all. Some ACL tears are unavoidable, but by strengthening the knee proprioceptors and learning how to control and stabilize your body weight is essential to avoiding injuries. Another cause can be dysfunctions in muscles such as the glutes which causes tightness in the hamstrings and quads and leads to over compensation and improper stability.
Trust me on this one. I am not saying strength and conditioning is you problem but to say that injuries like ACL tears has nothing to do with strength and conditioning is not true.

art vandelay
November 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Oh and I will share with you but I charge most my athletes about $30 per hour session so I will have to charge for the full hour.