PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern Hires Jeff Monken, is returning to the flexbone

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.gsueaglenation.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Monken+named+GSU+head+coach%20&id=4938996-Monken+named+GSU+head+coach&instance=articles_player

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Flexbone_Formation.PNG

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM
We know you missed us

ASU_Fanatic
November 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds like the perfect hire...hope you guys return to elite to add some extra competition in the SOCON.

Saint3333
November 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Good hire, the problem (Sam) still remains. Until he is gone GSU will never reach its potential.

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Good hire, the problem (Sam) still remains. Until he is gone GSU will never reach its potential.

I think you might be right on this one. The same people 'in the know' about Monken are also saying that Baker is out when the new President, Dr. Keel, takes over in January.

fightingphoenix
November 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Good luck to you guys! Looking foward to next years match up!

griz&beer
November 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Are they waking a sleeping GIANT???

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Shock the Monken! hey hey!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's a great day for GSU, the FCS, and America. Now let's get Raymond Gross to be OC and the QB coach. xthumbsupx

SpikeDawg
November 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Latest report is that Southern Conference defensive coordinators are already breaking down tape of last nights Georgia win over the "almighty" PJ triple option. First Ga Southern conference game in Statesboro next year should be a good one- Wofford TO vs Ga Southern TO!

Saint3333
November 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
The first half of the year will be a difficult for GSU. Any time there is a dramatic change in scheme there will be growing pains. In 2004 ASU's first game under the spread against Wyoming was one to forget.

Erks Eagles
November 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
We should struggle next year with this transition, but no doubt about it, we are ALL excited to have our identity back.

App Attack
November 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I know you guys must be excited about that. You must have missed that offense. The attempt at switching to the spread was pretty miserable. Hope you become competitive again soon and make the SoCon stronger (I guess). :D

Erks Eagles
November 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks App. We haven't had a whole lot to cheer about the last few years. Even if we do struggle next season (which I'm sure we will), at least we'll have an offense being run in Paulson that fans are excited to watch.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
It should be interesting watching GSU and Wofford play each other next year

phillyAPP
November 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks App. We haven't had a whole lot to cheer about the last few years. Even if we do struggle next season (which I'm sure we will), at least we'll have an offense being run in Paulson that fans are excited to watch.

Hatcher got screwed !!! A good man was in the wrong place,at the wrong time.

Good luck GSU.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
To All Georgia Southern fans:

I am happy, if you are happy, and will be glad to see you guys doing well again. Would like to see the SoCon running through the playoffs each year. Would be easier with you guys holding up your end of the bargain. Ha. Now go out and get some good recruits for that TO.

Welcome Back.

P.S. - I believe that Hatcher was one of the most honest coaches that I have ever seen. I wish him and his family good fortune. I admire him for telling things like they are.

SpeedkingATL
November 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Great hire for GSU.....now does Jason Foster have a little brother?????????:D

Also hope Chris Hatcher finds a home that is a better fit. He appears to be a quality guy and has an excellent track record prior to GSU.

straightshooter
November 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Latest report is that Southern Conference defensive coordinators are already breaking down tape of last nights Georgia win over the "almighty" PJ triple option. First Ga Southern conference game in Statesboro next year should be a good one- Wofford TO vs Ga Southern TO!

GT's problem with Georgia wasn't that the offense couldn't score. It was that the GT defense couldn't keep Georgia from scoring. Neither team punted in the game.

Kill'em
November 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Good luck GSU.

I agree. It hurt to see what happened. Coach Hatcher is a good person and, despite what some might think, a good coach.

Anyway, Jeff Monken is now the head coach. I hope our fan base has more patience with him than it had for Hatcher because Monken will face the same issues Hatcher did. First and foremost, he has to work for Sam "The Program Killer" Baker.
Another question is how many of our current players, recruited for a pass-heavy offense will leave? I imagine our top two QBs will leave as well as some of our receivers. I am sure others will follow.
Next issue is that he apparently will not take over until January which leaves little time to recruit.

I certainly wish the best for Coach Monken. It will be nice to see the Georgia Southern Triple Option back where it belongs.

straightshooter
November 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I agree. It hurt to see what happened. Coach Hatcher is a good person and, despite what some might think, a good coach.

Anyway, Jeff Monken is now the head coach. I hope our fan base has more patience with him than it had for Hatcher because Monken will face the same issues Hatcher did. First and foremost, he has to work for Sam "The Program Killer" Baker.
Another question is how many of our current players, recruited for a pass-heavy offense will leave? I imagine our top two QBs will leave as well as some of our receivers. I am sure others will follow.
Next issue is that he apparently will not take over until January which leaves little time to recruit.

I certainly wish the best for Coach Monken. It will be nice to see the Georgia Southern Triple Option back where it belongs.

Actually he'll be in Statesboro following the ACC Championship game with GT and Clemson next weekend. He'll have time to recruit. There are lots of players that GT was after that they can't sign due to numbers. Those kids who fit the option offensive mold will hear from GSU. Defense is defense. You get the best players you can.

OL FU
November 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Glad to see the TO back. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a good hire!xbowx

mrklean
November 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
RUN EAGLES RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY TO IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW IF WE COULD ADD A LITTLE SHOTGUN TO IT LIKE AIR FORCE DID IT, WE SHOULD BE DANGEROUS!!!!

LacesOut
November 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Congrats?? Good hire?? LOL I have no idea!

But if this puts GSU back into the top tiered I-AA programs, well then that is good!!!

YSU, your turn.........

mrklean
November 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Congrats?? Good hire?? LOL I have no idea!

But if this puts GSU back into the top tiered I-AA programs, well then that is good!!!

YSU, your turn.........

GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seantaylor
November 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Good luck GSU.

No he didn't. He is a terrible coach hired by a terrible AD. Thankfully both are no more.

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Great hire for GSU.....now does Jason Foster have a little brother?????????:D

Also hope Chris Hatcher finds a home that is a better fit. He appears to be a quality guy and has an excellent track record prior to GSU.

Jermaine Austin (our last B-Back) does :Dxrotatehxxnodx

Chris Hatcher was an awesome guy, and 90+% of Eagle Nation wanted him to have one more year. We WERE all pissed, this hire made most of us happy.

on a side note

SAM BAKER WILL BE FIRED BY THE END OF JANUARY!

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
It didn't seem right that GSU wasn't running this offense all along. It's about as odd as Nebraska running the west coast offense.

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Glad to see the TO back. xthumbsupx

Step away from the Shiraz!!!!! xsmiley_wix

I only wish Bobby Lamb was terrified, I know he is not though. Even when we were good he was beating us when we ran the flex.

pete4256
November 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM

I only wish Bobby Lamb was terrified, I know he is not though. Even when we were good he was beating us when we ran the flex.

You do realize that Bobby Lamb was 1-3 against GSU teams that ran the option?

Hoyadestroya85
November 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
It's a shame that Jayson Foster didn't get four years running the Flexbone.. It's a very adaptable formation, but when you face a defense with discipline and good team speed you can get screwed..

OL FU
November 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Let me restate. I am glad you guys are getting your traditions back. your tradition of beating us can remain on hold however:p

PhoenixMan
November 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Shock the Monken! hey hey!

Georgia Southern is toastxlolx
Couldn't help myself.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 08:28 AM
The guy has been a position coach for 12 years. Has one year of head coaching experience... at a high school in Illinois. Hasn't been offensive coordinator (unless I'm missing something and he has been de facto offensive coordinator a la Satterfield). I'm not sure this is a great hire. It very well could prove to be... but, I'm not sure what would point to that right now.

Folks that know more about him than me-- what makes this a great hire? Is it just the fact that he is bringing back the triple option?

longtimemocfan
November 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Glad to see the bone coming back. GSU just didn't look right running anything else.

OL FU
November 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I am sure Paul Johnson would not lower expectations about any of his coaches, but I assume and would expect that someone ask Johnson if he was head coaching material. Assuming they did, I would go with Johnson's recommendation. xnodx

Eaglesrus
November 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
The guy has been a position coach for 12 years. Has one year of head coaching experience... at a high school in Illinois. Hasn't been offensive coordinator (unless I'm missing something and he has been de facto offensive coordinator a la Satterfield). I'm not sure this is a great hire. It very well could prove to be... but, I'm not sure what would point to that right now.

Folks that know more about him than me-- what makes this a great hire? Is it just the fact that he is bringing back the triple option?

Well, something we agree on! The only real difference is that I really, really hope that it will prove to be a great hire, while I would guess that you probably aren't quite as hopeful. :)

As far as I can tell, yes, the reason that people are excited about it is that Monken is bringing back the 3-O. That's all I'm hearing; well, that and the fact that he's been on Paul Johnson's staff for 13 years. The fact that he hasn't even been a coordinator concerns me, though.

Anyway, guess we'll see if it was a great hire pretty quickly, cause with our recent track record if we aren't winning big soon we'll be trying somebody else in a couple of years.

Baldy
November 30th, 2009, 09:13 AM

First, PJ doesn't utilize an offensive coordinator. Sewak was OC in title only under PJ while at GSU. Monken has been PJ's longest serving and tenured assistant. It was known years ago, even at GSU, that Monken was Johnson's "star pupil" with a "football IQ" that is off the charts.

Is that going to make him a great head coach? No, but in his 13 years with PJ, he has learned from the best in the business and knows what needs to be done. The only real question mark is will he be able to apply all that valuable knowledge?

JDC325
November 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM

AMEN and although I am happy to see the option back and will support Monken this was a purely political hire made by a bad and desperate AD. Monken may end up being a good coach but it is sad that our AD is making a coaching hire based mainly on the offense to pacify the masses instead of just hiring the best coach possible. Will this work out for GSU ...flip a coin with this AD.

JDC325
November 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Georgia Southern is toastxlolx
Couldn't help myself.

Has Elon won a playoff game yet? Sorry could not help myself. Congrats for temporarily filling the void of a down GSU and FU. Things will eventually get back to normal so enjoy it whil you can.

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
glad to see this....the south needs a good georgia southern flexbone team...its good for southern football....hope we schedule them soon!

MplsBison
November 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Schemes don't matter.

An average Georgia team, playing inspired in order to make something out of a forgettable season, was able to beat PJ's offense.

It comes down to the players you have. The kids in high school these days all run the shotgun offenses.

Baldy
November 30th, 2009, 09:50 AM
AMEN and although I am happy to see the option back and will support Monken this was a purely political hire made by a bad and desperate AD. Monken may end up being a good coach but it is sad that our AD is making a coaching hire based mainly on the offense to pacify the masses instead of just hiring the best coach possible. Will this work out for GSU ...flip a coin with this AD.

Sam didn't make this hire.

appstate38
November 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Not to be a hater or anything but am I the only one who sees this as a bad thing???? We have enough trouble defending the run as is. Now GSU has to go back to their roots and get strong again....... NOPE not for me. Stay in the spread and be just an average team. PLEASE!!!!!!:D

As many problems as the TO brings it will be nice to have an honored member of the BIG 3 back up to speed!xthumbsupx

Baldy
November 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Schemes don't matter.

An average Georgia team, playing inspired in order to make something out of a forgettable season, was able to beat PJ's offense.

It comes down to the players you have. The kids in high school these days all run the shotgun offenses.

Maybe in Minnesota. Option football in high school is still VERY big in the South.

ThompsonThe
November 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Who hired him?

I know he thanked Pres. Grube, and the new Pres. , who is that Kerr or something, and Sam Baker.
But didn't the present and former presidents rely on Baker to come up with the "right person?"

Seven Would Be Nice
November 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM
The current Pres retires at the end of the year, the AD is supposedly on his way out at the end of Jan (so the message board rumors say) my opinion is that the new President Dr. Keel has been pulling the strings on this one. Only time will tell.

GaSouthern
November 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
glad to see this....the south needs a good georgia southern flexbone team...its good for southern football....hope we schedule them soon!

Man I would love a game with SC State! They would smash our brains in though if we played in 2010... I can wait a few years xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
November 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Schemes don't matter.

They could not stop PJ's offense, they destroyed GT's defense though.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe in Minnesota. Option football in high school is still VERY big in the South.

I don't believe you.

Every high school game I've seen on ESPNU has shown southern teams running the shotgun every play. No TO in sight.

What have been the offenses run by this year's GA state football champions?

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I don't believe you.

Every high school game I've seen on ESPNU has shown southern teams running the shotgun every play. No TO in sight.

Shoot Mpls, even in the north here the option still has strong following in hs. Im from WI and I know a lot of teams there use it.

blueballs
November 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I don't believe you.

I live in Central FL and there are plenty of option teams in FL.

Lakeland, Apopka, & Seffner Armwood have all won state championships (Lakeland won the mythical NC twice) running option schemes in the past 8 years.

GSU has recruited Apopka pretty well in the past signing Chaz Williams, Kenard Bradford, Quentin Taylor and Steve Baylark in the past decade. GSU signed Chris Griffin and Billy Lowe from Lakeland.

FWIW the HS playoffs are still going on in GA & FL...

PhoenixMan
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Has Elon won a playoff game yet? Sorry could not help myself. Congrats for temporarily filling the void of a down GSU and FU. Things will eventually get back to normal so enjoy it whil you can.

Temporarily?...remains to be seen. Maybe GSU can beat us next year.....run their current record to 1-3 vs. The Phoenix. My post was really just messing with GreatAppSt. who usually posts the "toast" stuff. Not really cracking on GSU. I hope you guys do get better, I'm tired of hearing how bad the SoCon is now.

Umass74
November 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Whatever offense the GSU fans like if fine by me, but aren't you starting all over again with your personnel?

I thought option offenses need smaller, more mobile linemen and larger WR's to block. Do you have a couple of option QB's to run the offense? Won't this insure another two or three years of re-recruiting to get the players you need? xeyebrowx

Seven Would Be Nice
November 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Whatever offense the GSU fans like if fine by me, but aren't you starting all over again with your personnel?

I thought option offenses need smaller, more mobile linemen and larger WR's to block. Do you have a couple of option QB's to run the offense? Won't this insure another two or three years of re-recruiting to get the players you need? xeyebrowx

To get it working like it was 10 years ago.. yes, if not longer. We should be able to make some quick fixes and get the ball rolling though. We do have a decent backfield (our only real offensive production came from them, when we actually did run the ball) but the biggest question mark will be the QB. Currently we have a kid that played option QB in HS but was ineligible this year. He may come back and play QB, and there is always the possibility of a transfer. We haven't heard anything on anyone that could be coming though.

Some think that Monken could take a few kids away from Tech, but I don't see that happening in quantities, if at all.

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I dont think that he will get any big numbers of tech kids to transfer, but this guy does know all the right schools to go to to get kids that fit that scheme.

I am curious though, to see if large numbers of kids will transfer OUT of GSU, that are not right for the flexbone offense, ie QB's and some WR's

blueballs
November 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I dont think that he will get any big numbers of tech kids to transfer, but this guy does know all the right schools to go to to get kids that fit that scheme.

I am curious though, to see if large numbers of kids will transfer OUT of GSU, that are not right for the flexbone offense, ie QB's and some WR's

I imagine you are correct on all accounts...

GSU has a very young team so the key to changing offenses will be getting quarterbacks, and that position is where a transfer can help while option QB's are recruited. GSU redshirted five offensive linemen this past year and some of the receivers' skill sets seem to fit the option offense either as WR or slots.

I don't think (hope) GSU will be as bad as some of you think (hope) next year but there will be an adjustment period, though IMO it is easier to go from a wide open passing attack to a option based running attack than vice versa.

We'll see...

MplsBison
November 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I live in Central FL and there are plenty of option teams in FL.

Lakeland, Apopka, & Seffner Armwood have all won state championships (Lakeland won the mythical NC twice) running option schemes in the past 8 years.

GSU has recruited Apopka pretty well in the past signing Chaz Williams, Kenard Bradford, Quentin Taylor and Steve Baylark in the past decade. GSU signed Chris Griffin and Billy Lowe from Lakeland.

FWIW the HS playoffs are still going on in GA & FL...

Well they're over in MN and none of the state champions here run the option.

That doesn't mean anything and it certainly doesn't mean that no teams run the option, which is not what I said.

However, what was once the standard offense in football (the TO) is long since past its prime and is mostly dead, even at the high school level nationally.

I challenge anyone to point to a 2009 state champion 11-man football team, from any state, that runs a primarily option offense.

I'm actually interested in the answer.

I'll go right back to my main point: schemes don't matter.

The only thing that matters is how good your players are. If you have the right players, you can run any scheme and look like a genius.

PaladinNation
November 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
We could be in some interesting football for the next several years… I like this hire for GSU… I think it adds some much needed grit to the SoCon schedule…

When Furman and GSU were beating each other up running the option and playing physical defense we both did pretty well in the playoffs.

So now you have Wofford- who is always going to be Wofford, GSU will get back to it's roots, Furman appears to be going back to it's roots too… you'll now have spread formations, flex formations, and did Furman give us a glimpse of the future against Wofford… some pistol formations.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
They could not stop PJ's offense, they destroyed GT's defense though.

Yes of course they stopped it, obviously as GT did not score every drive.

Especially when Nesbitt was hurt.

Which just proves again, if you have the right players any scheme looks good.

elon77
November 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM
All that money I sent to them to keep Hatcher can I get it back? Well at least it worked for Lamb. Just kidding guys. Good luck to both schools, well not too much luck.

Baldy
November 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM

That doesn't mean anything and it certainly doesn't mean that no teams run the option, which is not what I said.

However, what was once the standard offense in football (the TO) is long since past its prime and is mostly dead, even at the high school level nationally.

I challenge anyone to point to a 2009 state champion 11-man football team, from any state, that runs a primarily option offense.

The only thing that matters is how good your players are. If you have the right players, you can run any scheme and look like a genius.

As blueballs said, we're still playing football in Georgia and Florida. However I can tell you that the Georgia AAAA state champions from 2008 were the Tucker Tigers. Their Head Coach is Franklin Stevens, a 2 time All-American Center at Georgia Southern. As you imagine, they run the option.

Georgia High School football superpowers Camden County and Lowndes County both run option based offenses. Camden won the AAAAA State title in 2008, and Lowndes won in 2007.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Right now Savannah Christian is undefeated and in the GA state Class A semifinals running "THE" GSU Option.

Eaglesrus
November 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I don't follow high school football much any more, and as has been said it's not over in GA yet, but Savannah Christian Prep is number 2 in it's division and has won in the first two rounds of the play-offs. Their offense is what GSU used to run. The Savannah area is not known for the quality of it's high school football (that's a BIG understatement) so a lot of the best players in the area go to SCP to play with a winner.

gophoenix
November 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Ah, how it gets modified.

3 years ago it was have you won a SoCon game, earlier this year it was have you made the playoffs. Now it's have you won a playoff game....

LOL.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM

3 years ago it was have you won a SoCon game, earlier this year it was have you made the playoffs. Now it's have you won a playoff game....

LOL.

And in the next 3 years it will migrate back to winning a socon game... or maybe just 1 year after Riddle graduates.

mrklean
November 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
IF I'm not wrong, Statesboro High School still runs the GSU flexbone.

JDC325
November 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM

LOL.

Maybe for others it has changed but not for me. Yes Elon has gotten better but the SoCon has dropped considerabley with GSU and FU falling off. So the only way to prove yourself and how good your conference is, is in the playoffs and Eloan has not done itself or the SoCon any favors. When you do accomplish something more than a short win streak over a down powerhouse feel free to talk trash. Until then you just have been a seat filler for one of the big three nothing more.

Canyoncat
November 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM

In Montana, Helena Capital High School has been in the last five state AA Championships winning three in a row and 33 straight games using the option (lost in the chipper this year). Its about 50/50 weather the QB is under center or in the shotgun. They do throw out of it, but it is mainly a rushing offense. Really fun to watch! you never know who is going to get the ball. Great to hear that Georgia Southern is bringing the TO back. If you get the right players it is an extremely hard offense to stop! My money says they will!

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
As blueballs said, we're still playing football in Georgia and Florida. However I can tell you that the Georgia AAAA state champions from 2008 were the Tucker Tigers. Their Head Coach is Franklin Stevens, a 2 time All-American Center at Georgia Southern. As you imagine, they run the option.

Georgia High School football superpowers Camden County and Lowndes County both run option based offenses. Camden won the AAAAA State title in 2008, and Lowndes won in 2007.

Cairo High (GA) won the AAA state championship in 2008 running either the Wing-T or Single Wing (I'm not good at recognizing either) with a lot of option in it.

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I think this has been answered. There are MANY teams in GA and FL that run option offenses. They may not win championships with it every year but they do win a buttload of football games with it. Just because you think it's old and antiquated doesn't make it so.

Case in point: Grass is better.

eaglewraith
November 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM

He's been slotbacks (A-Backs) coach for many years under PJ. It's commonly tossed around that to teach the slotbacks, you need a very good grasp of the offense as a whole, and he's been learning from PJ. Also, Monken is the guy that PJ recommended each time there's been a coaching opening here at GSU. PJ seems to think he knows what to do and can succeed on his own.

Also, PJ wasn't a head coach until he coached Georgia Southern....and we know how that worked out....

blueballs
November 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Also, PJ wasn't a head coach until he coached Georgia Southern....and we know how that worked out....

Neither was Erk Russell...

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I hope he was paying attention for 12 years of watching Paul Johnson call plays in the offense. I suspect he was, aand so the x's and o's don't really concern me.

What concerns me are the intangibles that go with being a head football coach at this level. Say what you want about the pathetic Hatch Attack, but Chris Hatcher had one thing going for him. He was a hell of a politician. Hatcher couldn't move the football, but he sure as hell could work a room. In order to be successful at GSU, the head coach has to be able to do both. I hope Monken is up to the task of dealing with the media and the pressure. I'll say this, he's getting thrown into a fire, and he has no experience at all in being out in front, and dealing with this kind of pressure.
The frying pan. That's one heck of a place to get on the job training.

MplsBison
November 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Cairo High (GA) won the AAA state championship in 2008 running either the Wing-T or Single Wing (I'm not good at recognizing either) with a lot of option in it.

I'm not talking about offenses that have ANY option in them.

Heck, every passing play is technically an option since you have many different options to throw the ball to.

Taking the ball in the shot gun, running with it for 5 yards and then pitching to the tailback is NOT an option offense, IMO.

Wing T isn't an option offense either, just because the QB fake hands off to a guy who is running one way and then really hands off to a guy going the other way.

An option offense has some sort of dive back, whereby the QB will hand off to dive back or keep the ball depending on what the un-blocked DE does and then, if he chooses to keep the ball, the QB can either run with it or pitch the ball.

That's the option offense and can be run out of many formations.

But it's not run that often anymore in college and never in the NFL.

But it really doesn't matter. If you have the players, you can line up in whatever crazy scheme you want and people will say you're a genius if you win.